|
|
FredyPeccerelli_2014Y-_一位为消失者盖棺论定的法医人类学家_
|
Guatemala is recovering from a 36-year armed conflict . |
瓜地马拉正在从36年前的武力冲突中恢复过来 |
Guatemala:n.危地马拉(拉丁美洲国家);危地马拉人; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触;
|
A conflict that was fought during the Cold War. |
这个冲突是在冷战期间发生的 |
It was really just a small leftist insurgency and a devastating response by the state. |
那其实只是一个很小的左翼暴动 和一个政府方面具有极端破坏性的反应 |
leftist:n.左派;急进派;左翼的人;左撇子;adj.左派的;左撇子的;急进派的; insurgency:n.叛乱;暴动;叛乱状态; devastating:adj.毁灭性的; v.毁灭; (devastate的现在分词) response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
What we have as a result is 200,000 civilian victims, 160,000 of those killed in the communities : small children, men, women, the elderly even. |
结果是20万的人民受害 其中16万人在他们的社区内被杀 小孩,男人,女人,甚者老人 |
as a result:结果; civilian:adj.民用的;百姓的,平民的;n.平民,百姓; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) elderly:adj.上了年纪的;过了中年的;稍老的;
|
And then we have about 40,000 others, the missing, the ones we're still looking for today. |
此外,还有4万人失踪 我们至今仍在寻找这些人 |
We call them the Desaparecidos. |
我们称他们为“消失者” |
Now, 83 percent of the victims are Mayan victims, victims that are the descendants of the original inhabitants of Central America . |
有百分之八十三的受害者是马雅人 这些马雅受害者是 中美洲原始住民的后代 |
descendants:n.后裔;后代;子孙;派生物;(descendant的复数) original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的; inhabitants:n.居民(inhabitant的复数); Central America:n.中美洲(包括危地马拉、伯利兹、洪都拉斯、萨尔瓦多、尼加拉瓜、哥斯达黎加以及巴拿马);
|
And only about 17 percent are of European descent . |
只有差不多百分之十七是欧洲人的后代 |
descent:n.下降;血统;袭击;vt.除去…的气味;使…失去香味;
|
But the most important thing here is that the very people who are supposed to defend us, the police, the military , are the ones that committed most of the crimes. |
但是最重要的是 那些应该是要保护我们的人,警察和军队 正是杀害这些人民的罪魁祸首 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
|
Now the families, they want information. |
现在受害者的家人们想要知道 |
They want to know what happened. |
到底发生了什么事? |
They want the bodies of their loved ones. |
他们要取回他们所爱的家人的尸体 |
But most of all, what they want is they want you, they want everyone to know that their loved ones did nothing wrong. |
但最重要的是,他们想要你们 他们要每个人都知道他们所爱的家人并没有做错任何事 |
Now, my case was that my father received death threats in 1980. |
我家的情况是我父亲在1980年受到死亡威胁 |
And we left. |
|
We left Guatemala and we came here. |
我们就离开瓜地马拉来到这里 |
So I grew up in New York, |
所以我是在纽约长大的 |
I grew up in Brooklyn as a matter of fact , and I went to New Utrecht High School and I graduated from Brooklyn College. |
实际上我是在布鲁克林区长大的我上过新优翠特高中 然后毕業于布鲁克林学院 |
as a matter of fact:事实上;
|
The only thing was that |
唯一的一件事是 |
I really didn't know what was happening in Guatemala. |
我真的不知道在瓜地马拉究竟发生了什么事 |
I didn't care for it; it was too painful . |
我也不想知道;因为太痛苦了 |
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
|
But it wasn't till 1995 that I decided to do something about it. |
一直到1995年我才决定要为它做点什么 |
So I went back. |
所以我回去了 |
I went back to Guatemala, to look for the bodies, to understand what happened and to look for part of myself as well. |
我回到瓜地马拉去寻找那些被杀害者的尸体 去了解事件的真相也去寻找我自己的一部分 |
The way we work is that we give people information. |
我们工作的方式是:由我们给大家资讯 |
We talk to the family members and we let them choose. |
和家人讨论,让他们选择 |
We let them decide to tell us the stories, to tell us what they saw, to tell us about their loved ones. |
我们让他们决定要不要将他们的故事告诉我们 告诉我们他们看到的 告诉我们关于他们所爱的家人的事 |
And even more important, we let them choose to give us a piece of themselves. |
更重要的是 我们让他们决定是否给我们他们自己的一部分 |
A piece, an essence , of who they are. |
主要是,”他们是谁“的一部分 |
essence:n.本质;实质;精髓;香精;
|
And that DNA is what we're going to compare to the DNA that comes from the skeletons . |
那些DNA就是我们要用来比对 骨骸的DNA |
compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; skeletons:n.骷髅;[解剖]骨骼(skeleton的复数);流言(歌曲名);
|
While we're doing that, though, we're looking for the bodies. |
在做那个的同时我们也在找受害者的尸体 |
And these are skeletons by now, most of these crimes happened 32 years ago. |
那些现在都已成为骨骸了 大多数的罪行发生在32年前 |
When we find the grave , we take out the dirt and eventually clean the body, document it, and exhume it. |
当我们找到坟墓时 我们清掉泥土,最后清洁身体,做资料,再取出来 |
grave:adj.重大的;严肃的;黯淡的;n.墓穴,坟墓;死亡;v.雕刻;铭记; dirt:n.污垢;尘土;下流话; eventually:adv.最后,终于; exhume:vt.发掘;掘出;
|
We literally bring the skeleton out of the ground. |
我们真的是从地下取出骨骸 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
|
Once we have those bodies, though, we take them back to the city, to our lab, and we begin a process of trying to understand mainly two things: |
拿到这些尸体后, 我们将他们带回到我们所在城市的实验室 然后我们开始试着去了解主要的两点: |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地;
|
One is how people died. |
第一点是他们是怎么死的 |
So here you see a gunshot wound to the back of the head or a machete wound, for example. |
这里你看到的是从头后面开枪的伤口 或者例如是用弯刀砍的伤口 |
gunshot:n.射击;射程;炮击;adj.射击的;枪炮射击所致的; wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害; machete:n.弯刀;大砍刀;马谢特琴;
|
The other thing we want to understand is who they are. |
另一点我们要了解的是他们是谁 |
Whether it's a baby, or an adult. |
是一个婴儿? 或是一个成人? |
Whether it's a woman or a man. |
是女人? 还是男人? |
But when we're done with that analysis what we'll do is we'll take a small fragment of the bone and we'll extract DNA from it. |
但是当我们完成分析后 我们会拿骨头的一小碎片 然后从那里抽取出DNA |
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定; fragment:n.片段;破片;弹片;小块;v.分割;使成碎片; extract:v.提取;取出;摘录;榨取;n.汁;摘录;榨出物;选粹;
|
We'll take that DNA and then we'll compare it with the DNA of the families, of course. |
我们再拿那个DNA 和他们家人的DNA做比对 |
The best way to explain this to you is by showing you two cases. |
为各位解释这一点的最好方法就是让你们看两个例子 |
The first is the case of the military diary. |
第一个是是军方日记 |
Now this is a document that was smuggled out of somewhere in 1999. |
这个是在1999年从某处偷渡出来的文件 |
smuggled:v.走私;私运;偷运(smuggle的过去分词和过去式)
|
And what you see there is the state following individuals , people that, like you, wanted to change their country, and they jotted everything down. |
然后你这里看到的是政府追踪一个人 一个像你一样想要改变他们的国家的人 他们将每件事记录下来 |
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); jotted:v.摘记下来;
|
And one of the things that they wrote down is when they executed them. |
他们写下来的其中一件事是他们杀害这些人的日期 |
executed:v.(尤指依法)处决,处死;实行;执行;实施;(execute的过去分词和过去式)
|
Inside that yellow rectangle , you see a code, it's a secret code: 300. |
在那个黄色的方块内 有一个密码:300 |
rectangle:n.矩形;长方形;
|
And then you see a date. |
然后你看到一个日期 |
The 300 means "executed" and the date means when they were executed. |
那个300是指“已杀害”那个日期是他们被杀害的日期 |
Now that's going to come into play in a second . |
|
in a second:立刻,很快;
|
What we did is we conducted an exhumation in 2003, where we exhumed 220 bodies from 53 graves in a military base. |
我们在2003年做了一次坟墓挖掘 那次我们在一个军事基地内的53个坟墓挖出了220个尸体 |
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) exhumation:n.发掘;尸体发掘;掘尸; exhumed:v.掘出;恢复(exhume的过去式); graves:n.坟墓; adj.重大的; v.对(船底)作清洗并涂上沥青等涂料; v.庄重地; (grave的第三人称单数)
|
Grave 9, though, matched the family of Sergio Saul Linares . |
而从第九号坟墓堆出来的是沙基欧·沙无·李拿瑞斯 |
Linares:n.利纳雷斯(西班牙南部一城市名);
|
Now Sergio was a professor at the university. |
沙基欧是一位大学教授 |
He graduted from Iowa State University and went back to Guatemala to change his country. |
他毕業于爱荷华州立大学 回到瓜地马拉去改变他的国家 |
State University:n.(美国)州立大学;
|
And he was captured on February 23, 1984. |
他在1984年2月23日被抓走 |
captured:adj.捕获的;被俘的;v.捕获;占领;引起;(capture的过去式和过去分词)
|
And if you can see there, he was executed on March 29, 1984, which was incredible . |
如果你看得到的话他是在1984年3月29日被杀的 真是不可思议 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
We had the body, we had the family's information and their DNA, and now we have documents that told us exactly what happened. |
我们有尸体,家人资料和他们的DNA 现在我们也有文件资料告诉我们发生的事情 |
But most important is about two weeks later, we go another hit, another match from the same grave to Amancio Villatoro. |
但更重要的,大约两星期后 我们有找到另一个成功的配对 也是在同一个坟墓叫做阿曼西欧·威亚头罗 |
The DNA of that body also matched the DNA of that family. |
那个尸体的DNA也和那个家人配对成功 |
And then we noticed that he was also in the diary. |
然后我们也注意到他也被记载在日记里 |
But it was amazing to see that he was also executed on March 29, 1984. |
惊人的是 他也是在1984年3月29日被杀的 |
So that led us to think, hmm, how many bodies were in the grave? |
那让我们开始思考,到底那个坟墓有几个尸体 |
Six. |
有6个 |
So then we said, how many people were executed on March 29, 1984? |
然后我们就在想到底有几个人在1984年3月29日被杀呢 |
That's right, six as well. |
没错,也是六个 |
So we have Juan de Dios, Hugo, Moises and Zoilo. |
我们找到璜·德·蒂欧斯,乌钩,摩伊瑟斯和索依楼 |
All of them executed on the same date, all captured at different locations and at different moments. |
他们在不同地方被抓但都是在同一天被杀 不同的时间被杀 |
locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
|
All put in that grave. |
都放在同一个坟墓 |
The only thing we needed now was the DNA of those four families |
我们只需要这个四个家人的DNA |
So we went and we looked for them and we found them. |
我们就去找他们,而我们也找到了 |
And we identified those six bodies and gave them back to the families. |
我们确认了那六个尸体然后还给他们的家人 |
identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词)
|
The other case I want to tell you about is that of a military base called CREOMPAZ. |
另一个我要告诉你们的案例是 一个名为哥列偶安巴斯的军事基地 |
It actually means, "to believe in peace," but the acronym really means |
它的意思其实是“相信和平”但是这条大写缩写代表的是 |
acronym:n.首字母缩略词;
|
Regional Command Center for Peacekeeping Operations. |
维持和平作業地区指挥中心 |
Regional:adj.地区的;局部的;整个地区的; Peacekeeping:adj.维护和平的;执行停火协定的;
|
And this is where the Guatemalan military trains peacekeepers from other countries, the ones that serve with the U.N. |
这是瓜地马拉军方训练其他国家来的和平维持者的地方 这些人为联合国服务 |
peacekeepers:维和人员(peacekeeper的复数);
|
and go to countries like Haiti and the Congo. |
然后他们去像海地和刚果这样的国家 |
Haiti:n.海地;
|
Well, we have testimony that said that within this military base, there were bodies, there were graves. |
我们有证词说,在这个军事基地里 有尸体和坟墓 |
testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据;
|
So we went in there with a search warrant and about two hours after we went in, we found the first of 84 graves, a total of 533 bodies. |
所以我们拿着搜查令去到那里我们进去两小时后 我们发现84座坟墓中的第一座,里面总共有533个尸体 |
search warrant:n.搜查证;搜查令;
|
Now, if you think about that, peacekeepers being trained on top of bodies. |
你想想看 和平维持者是在尸体的上面受训的 |
It's very ironic . |
实在是很讽刺! |
ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的;
|
But the bodies -- face down, most of them, hands tied behind their backs, blindfolded , all types of trauma -- these were people who were defenseless who were being executed. |
大多数的尸体,面向下,手被绑在背后 眼睛被蒙住,各种各样的伤痕 - 这些人在被杀时是完全没有抵抗力的 |
blindfolded:v.(用布等)蒙住…的眼睛(blindfold的过去分词和过去式) trauma:n.[外科]创伤(由心理创伤造成精神上的异常);外伤; defenseless:adj.无防备的;
|
People that 533 families are looking for. |
他们是533个家庭在找的家人 |
So we're going to focus on Grave 15. |
我们现在要谈谈第十五号坟墓 |
Grave 15, what we noticed, was a grave full of women and children, 63 of them. |
第15号坟墓,我们注意到,是一个满是女人和小孩子的坟墓 共63人 |
And that immediately made us think, my goodness, where is there a case like this? |
那让我们马上想到 我的天,哪曾有这样的案件? |
When I got to Guatemala in 1995, |
当我1995年到达瓜地马拉时 |
I heard of a case of a massacre that happened on May 14, 1982, where the army came in, killed the men, and took the women and children in helicopters to an unknown location. |
我听说有一件在1982年5月14日发生的屠杀 军队去到那里,杀掉男人 将女人和小孩子们用直升机载到不明地点 |
massacre:n.屠杀;残杀;惨败;v.屠杀;杀戮;使惨败;
|
Well, guess what? |
你猜怎么样? |
The clothing from this grave matched the clothing from the region where these people were taken from, where these women and children were taken from. |
这个坟墓里的衣服和那个地区的服装吻合 也就是他们被带走的地区 这些女人和小孩子们被带走的地区 |
So we conducted some DNA analysis, and guess what? |
所以我们做了一些DNA分析,你猜怎么了? |
We identified Martina Rojas and Manuel Chen. |
我们对到了玛尔丁娜.罗哈斯和曼努尔.陈 |
Both of them disappeared in that case, and now we could prove it. |
这两个人都是在那里失踪的,现在我们可以证明 |
disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
|
We have physical evidence that proves that this happened and that those people were taken to this base. |
我们有物证可以证明这个事件的确曾发生 以及这些人的确是被带到了这个基地 |
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
|
Now, Manuel Chen was three years old. |
曼努尔·陈才三岁 |
His mother went to the river to wash clothes, and she left him with a neighbor. |
他的母亲将他托付给一个邻居然后去河边洗衣服 |
That's when the army came and that's when he was taken away in a helicopter and never seen again until we found him in Grave 15. |
那时军队来到 那时他被直升机带走后就没有人再见到他 直到我们在第15号坟墓里发现他 |
So now with science, with archaeology , with anthropology , with genetics , what we're doing is, we're giving a voice to the voiceless . |
所以现在用科学,考古学,人类学,和遗传学 我们所做的是我们让无声者发出声音 |
archaeology:n.考古学;考古学的; anthropology:n.人类学;人类学家; genetics:n.遗传学; voiceless:adj.无声的;清音的;沉默的;
|
But we're doing more than that. |
但我们所做的还更多 |
We're actually providing evidence for trials, like the genocide trial that happened last year in Guatemala where General Ríos Montt was found guilty of genocide and sentenced to 80 years. |
我们实际上在为审判提供证据 例如瓜地马拉去年举行的种族屠杀的审判 利欧斯·蒙特将军被判种族屠杀罪和80年的监禁 |
genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀; guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
|
So I came here to tell you today that this is happening everywhere -- it's happening in Mexico right in front of us today -- and we can't let it go on anymore. |
所以我今天来这里告诉你们这是每个地方都在发生的事 就在我们的眼前,在墨西哥发生 我们不能再让它继续发生了 |
We have to now come together and decide that we're not going to have any more missing. |
我们现在必须联合起来并决定 我们绝不再让任何人失踪 |
So no more missing, guys. |
不再有人失踪 |
Okay? No more missing. |
好吗?不再有人失踪!谢谢 |
Thank you. |
|
(Applause) |
|