|
|
FrankWarren_2012-_五十万个秘密_
|
Hi, my name is Frank , and I collect secrets. |
弗兰克.沃伦:大家好,我叫弗兰克 我收集秘密 |
Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄;
|
It all started with a crazy idea in November of 2004. |
2004年的11月 我有了一个疯狂的想法 |
I printed up 3,000 self-addressed postcards , just like this. |
我印制了3000张带返邮地址的明信片 就像这样 |
self-addressed:adj.寄给自己的;写明发信人姓名地址的;自言自语的; postcards:n.明信片;(postcard的复数)
|
They were blank on one side, and on the other side |
明信片的一侧是空白的 而在另外一侧 |
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
|
I listed some simple instructions. |
我加上了一些简单的说明 |
I asked people to anonymously share an artful secret they'd never told anyone before. |
我让人们把他们从来没有告诉过任何人的秘密 与其他人分享 |
anonymously:adv.不具名地;化名地; artful:adj.巧妙的;狡猾的;有技巧的;欺诈的;
|
And I handed out these postcards randomly on the streets of Washington, D.C., not knowing what to expect. |
然后我在华盛顿特区的大街上 随机分发这些明信片 我不知道接下来会发生什么 |
randomly:adv.随便地,任意地;无目的,胡乱地;未加计划地;
|
But soon the idea began spreading virally . |
但是这个想法迅速传播开来了 |
virally:adj.[医学](滤过性)病毒的;(滤过性)病毒引起的;
|
People began to buy their own postcards and make their own postcards. |
人们开始自己买明信片 并且写上他们的秘密 |
I started receiving secrets in my home mailbox, not just with postmarks from Washington, D.C., but from Texas, California, |
我开始在我家里的邮箱里收到各种秘密 这些秘密不仅仅来自华盛顿特区 还有来自德克萨斯州和加利福尼亚的 |
postmarks:vt.在(邮件)上盖…的邮戳;n.邮戳;
|
Vancouver , New Zealand , Iraq. |
甚至还有来自温哥华,新西兰,还有伊拉克的 |
Vancouver:n.温哥华(加拿大主要港市); Zealand:西兰岛(丹麦最大的岛)
|
Soon my crazy idea didn't seem so crazy. |
很快我发现这个主意并没有我想象的那么疯狂 |
PostSecret.com is the most visited advertisement-free blog in the world. |
PostSecret.com 成为了世界上访问量最大的无广告博客 |
blog:n.博客;部落格;网络日志;
|
And this is my postcard collection today. |
这些是我收藏的所有明信片 |
You can see my wife struggling to stack a brick of postcards on a pyramid of over a half-million secrets. |
你可以看见我的妻子 正在努力地把一堆砖块厚的明信片 放在在由超过五十万个秘密构成的金字塔上 |
stack:n.堆栈;一摞;大量;许多;v.(使)放成整齐的一叠(或一摞,一堆);
|
What I'd like to do now is share with you a very special handful of secrets from that collection, starting with this one. |
我现在要做的 就是和你们分享一些我收藏中 相当特别的一些秘密 让我们从这个开始吧 |
'"I found these stamps as a child, and I have been waiting all my life to have someone to send them to. |
当我还是一个小孩的时候我就有了这些邮票 但是我一生都在等着一个人 好让我用这些邮票寄信给他 |
I never did have someone." |
但是我没有等到 |
Secrets can take many forms. |
秘密可以是多种多样的 |
They can be shocking or silly or soulful . |
它们可以很震撼 很滑稽,或者饱含深情 |
soulful:adj.感情上的;高尚的;充满精神的;
|
They can connect us to our deepest humanity or with people we'll never meet. |
分享秘密可以将我们带进人性的最深处 让我们和素不相识的人拥有某种联系 |
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
(Laughter) |
[遇到对我很粗鲁的顾客,我会给他们不含咖啡因的咖啡] |
Maybe one of you sent this one in. |
有一个人 |
I don't know. |
把这个东西寄给了我 |
This one does a great job of demonstrating the creativity that people have when they make and mail me a postcard. |
这一张很好地说明了 当人们在制作自己的明信片的时候 是多么的富有创造力 |
demonstrating:n.演示;v.证明;示威;显示;(demonstrate的现在分词)
|
This one obviously was made out of half a Starbucks cup with a stamp and my home address written on the other side. |
这一张很明显是半个星巴克纸杯做成的 他在另一侧贴上了邮票写上了我家地址 |
Starbucks:n.星巴克(咖啡店名);
|
'"Dear Birthmother, I have great parents. |
亲爱的生母,我现在有了很棒的养父母 |
I've found love. I'm happy." |
我找到了爱,我很开心 |
Secrets can remind us of the countless human dramas , of frailty and heroism , playing out silently in the lives of people all around us even now. |
秘密可以让我们想起无数的人间悲喜剧 关乎脆弱与坚强 在我们周围的人身上 悄悄的发生 而也在不断重演 |
remind:v.提醒;使想起; countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的; dramas:pl.戏剧; frailty:n.虚弱;弱点;意志薄弱; heroism:n.英勇,英雄气概;英雄行为;勇敢的事迹;
|
'"Everyone who knew me before 9/11 believes I'm dead." |
所有在911之前认识我的人 都以为我死了 |
'"I used to work with a bunch of uptight religious people, so sometimes I didn't wear panties , and just had a big smile and chuckled to myself." |
我曾经和一群极其虔诚的信徒一起起工作 所以在我没穿内裤的时候 尽管一直忍着,但是在心里头还是总是坏笑 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; uptight:adj.紧张的;拮据的;心情焦躁的;易怒的; religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; panties:n.女式短裤; chuckled:vi.咯咯的笑,轻声地笑;n.轻笑,窃笑;vt.轻声笑着表示;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
This next one takes a little explanation before I share it with you. |
在我给你们看下一个之前,我要先说明一下 |
I love to speak on college campuses and share secrets and the stories with students. |
我喜欢在大学校园里演讲 并且与学生们分享秘密和故事 |
campuses:(大学)校园;大学;校园内的草地(campuse的复数);
|
And sometimes afterwards I'll stick around and sign books and take photos with students. |
在这之后,我有时就会到处逛 签售一些书,和学生们合影 |
stick around:v.逗留;在附近徘徊;
|
And this next postcard was made out of one of those photos. |
就这样,其中的一张合影 就出现在了这张明信片上 |
And I should also mention that, just like today, at that PostSecret event, |
而且我必须说明 在那次会上,就像今天 |
I was using a wireless microphone . |
我用了一只无线麦克风 |
wireless:adj.无线的;无线电的;n.无线电;v.用无线电发送; microphone:n.麦克风;传声器;话筒;
|
'"Your mic wasn't off during sound check. |
你在试音之后没有关掉麦克风 |
We all heard you pee ." |
我们都听到了你尿尿的声音 |
pee:n.小便;撒尿;v.撒尿;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
This was really embarrassing when it happened, until I realized it could have been worse. |
这件事情一直都很让我觉得难为情 直到我想到,还好他们没有听到其他东西 |
embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词)
|
Right. You know what I'm saying. |
对吧,大家都懂的 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
'"Inside this envelope is the ripped up remains of a suicide note I didn't use. |
在这个信封里 是我撕掉了的遗书 还好我没有想要用它 |
envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀;
|
I feel like the happiest person on Earth (now.)" |
现在,我觉得我是这个星球上最开心的人了 |
'"One of these men is the father of my son. |
这些人中的一个是我的儿子的爸爸 |
He pays me a lot to keep it a secret." |
他给了我一大笔封口费 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
'"That Saturday when you wondered where I was, well, I was getting your ring. |
那个周六当你想着我在哪的时候 嗯,我在帮你买戒指呢 |
It's in my pocket right now." |
他现在就在我的口袋里 |
I had this postcard posted on the PostSecret blog two years ago on Valentine's Day. |
我在两年前的情人节 把这张明信片上的内容发上了PostSecret的博客 |
It was the very bottom, the last secret in the long column . |
并且把它放在了一大串秘密的最后 |
column:n.栏目,纵队;
|
And it hadn't been up for more than a couple hours before I received this exuberant email from the guy who mailed me this postcard. |
短短的几个小时以后 我就收到了这封欢乐的邮件 是把那张明信片寄给我的那个家伙写来的 |
exuberant:adj.繁茂的;生气勃勃的,充溢的;
|
And he said, "Frank, I've got to share with you this story that just played out in my life." |
他说:“弗兰克,你知道吗” “刚才发生了一件不可思议的事情” |
played out:adj.失去影响(或作用);
|
He said, "My knees are still shaking." |
他说:“现在我的腿还颤抖着” |
He said, "For three years, my girlfriend and I, we've made it this Sunday morning ritual to visit the PostSecret blog together and read the secrets out loud. |
他说:“三年以来,我和我的女朋友” “一直都把一起看PostSecret博客” “视作星期天的一项仪式” “我们一起大声地独处那些秘密” |
ritual:n.仪式;惯例;礼制;adj.仪式的;例行的;礼节性的;
|
I read some to her, she reads some to me." |
“我给她读一些,她给我读一些” |
He says, "It's really brought us closer together through the years. |
他说:“就这样,这些年来” “我们也越来越亲近了” |
And so when I discovered that you had posted my surprise proposal to my girlfriend at the very bottom, |
“而当我发现” “你把我给我女朋友的惊喜” “藏在了这堆秘密的最后的时候” |
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
|
I was beside myself. |
“我高兴得快魂不附体了” |
And I tried to act calm, not to give anything away. |
“于是我装作什么事也没发生” |
And just like every Sunday, we started reading the secrets out loud to each other." |
“就像之前的每一个星期天” “我们开始向对方读出这一个个秘密” |
He said, "But this time it seemed like it was taking her forever to get through each one." |
“但是这一次,她读出每一个秘密用的时间” “对于我来说都像是千万年” |
But she finally did. |
但是她最后终于看到了 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
She got to that bottom secret, his proposal to her. |
在最底下的那个她男朋友写的秘密 |
And he said, "She read it once and then she read it again." |
“她读了一次,又读了一次” |
And she turned to him and said, "Is that our cat?" |
“然后转身问我” “那只是我们的猫吗?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
And when she saw him, he was down on one knee, he had the ring out. |
而当她转身的时候 她的男友正单膝跪地,把戒指递给她 |
He popped the question, she said yes. It was a very happy ending. |
他问出了那个问题.得到了肯定回复.多美好的结局 |
So I emailed him back and I said, "Please share with me an image, something, that I can share with the whole PostSecret community and let everyone know your fairy tale ending." |
于是我回复他 发给我一张你们的照片吧 这样我就可以和整个PostSecret社区 还有所有的人分享你们童话般的结局 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; fairy tale:adj.童话的;童话式的;
|
And he emailed me this picture. |
所以他就把这张照片传给了我 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
'"I found your camera at Lollapalooza this summer. |
夏天的时候我在洛拉帕罗扎发现了你的相机 |
Lollapalooza:n.非常出色的人或物;
|
I finally got the pictures developed and I'd love to give them to you." |
我最后把这照片洗出来了 我很想把它们还给你 |
This picture never got returned back to the people who lost it, but this secret has impacted many lives, starting with a student up in Canada named Matty. |
这张照片一直都没有 被失主认领 但是这个秘密影响了很多人 从一个叫马蒂的学生开始吧 他来自加拿大 |
impacted:adj.压紧的;结实的;嵌入的;(人口)稠密的;v.装紧;挤满(impact的过去分词);
|
Matty was inspired by that secret to start his own website, a website called IFoundYourCamera. |
马蒂受到这个秘密的触动 成立了自己的网站 叫做 我找到了你的相机 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
Matty invites people to mail him digital cameras that they've found, memory sticks that have been lost with orphan photos. |
马蒂邀请人们 把他们捡到的数码相机 或者丢失了的相片记忆卡 寄给他 |
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; orphan:adj.孤儿的;无双亲的;n.孤儿;vt.使成孤儿;
|
And Matty takes the pictures off these cameras and posts them on his website every week. |
每周马蒂都会把这些相机里的照片取出来 然后发到网上 |
And people come to visit to see if they can identify a picture they've lost or help somebody else get the photos back to them that they might be desperately searching for. |
人们便可以在网站上 看他们能不能认出自己丢失了的照片 或者帮其他人找到 他们一直苦苦寻找的照片 |
identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: desperately:adv.拼命地;绝望地;不顾一切地;极度地;
|
This one's my favorite. |
这是我最喜欢的一张 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
Matty has found this ingenious way to leverage the kindness of strangers. |
马蒂独创了这个方法 来扩大善良陌生人的作用 |
ingenious:adj.有独创性的;机灵的,精制的;心灵手巧的; leverage:n.影响力;杠杆作用;杠杆效力;v.举债经营;借贷收购;
|
And it might seem like a simple idea, and it is, but the impact it can have on people's lives can be huge. |
这是一个简单的想法 但是他可以对一些人有巨大的影响 |
Matty shared with me an emotional email he received from the mother in that picture. |
马蒂给我看过 一封给他的很深情邮件 是那幅照片里的妈妈寄给他的 |
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
|
'"That's me, my husband and son. |
照片里的是我,还有我的丈夫,儿子 |
The other pictures are of my very ill grandmother. |
其他的照片是我重病中的奶奶 |
Thank you for making your site . |
幸亏有了你这个网站 |
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
|
These pictures mean more to me than you know. |
这些照片对于我比你能想象的要重要得多 |
My son's birth is on this camera. |
这只相机见证了我儿子的出生 |
He turns four tomorrow." |
他明天就四岁了 |
Every picture that you see there and thousands of others have been returned back to the person who lost it -- sometimes crossing oceans, sometimes going through language barriers . |
大屏幕上的那几张照片 还有其它上千张 都已经还给了相应的失主 跨越了各个大洋 突破了语言的障碍 |
barriers:n.障碍;栅栏;篱笆墙(barrier的复数形式);
|
This is the last postcard I have to share with you today. |
这是今天我想和你们分享的最后一张明信片 |
'"When people I love leave voicemails on my phone |
当我爱的人 在我的电话语音邮箱里留言的时候 |
I always save them in case they die tomorrow and I have no other way of hearing their voice ever again." |
我总会存下来,因为也许明天他们就会死去 要不然我就再也听不到 他们的声音了 |
When I posted this secret, dozens of people sent voicemail messages from their phones, sometimes ones they'd been keeping for years, messages from family or friends who had died. |
当我在网上发布这个秘密的时候 有一小群人 发来了他们电话里保留着的语音信息 有些已经在里面好几年了 这些语音信息都是来自 他们死去了的家人或者朋友们的 |
voicemail:n.语音信箱;
|
They said that by preserving those voices and sharing them, it helped them keep the spirit of their loved ones alive. |
他们说,他们留着这些声音 并且和别人分享 是为了让他们爱着的人永远活在自己心里 |
preserving:n.保留,保存;
|
One young girl posted the last message she ever heard from her grandmother. |
有一个女孩 发来了她从她奶奶听到的 最后的一条语音信息 |
Secrets can take many forms. |
秘密可以有很多种 |
They can be shocking or silly or soulful. |
可以是震撼,滑稽 或者饱含深情 |
They can connect us with our deepest humanity or with people we'll never meet again. |
分享秘密可以将我们带进人性的最深处 让我们和素不相识的人有了某种联系 |
Voicemail recording: First saved voice message. |
语音信箱:首条保存的语音信息 |
Grandma: ? It's somebody's birthday today ? |
奶奶:今天是某人的生日? |
? Somebody's birthday today ? |
某人的生日? |
? The candles are lighted ? |
在她的蛋糕上? |
lighted:adj.发光的;燃烧的;v.点燃(light的过去分词);照亮;
|
? on somebody's cake ? |
亮起了蜡烛? |
? And we're all invited ? |
因为某人生日? |
? for somebody's sake ? |
我们都被邀请? |
sake:n.目的;利益;理由;日本米酒;
|
You're 21 years old today. |
今年你就21岁了? |
Have a real happy birthday, and I love you. |
生日要很开心,我爱你? |
I'll say bye for now. |
我要和你说再见了? |
FW: Thank you. |
弗兰克.沃伦:谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |
June Cohen: Frank, that was beautiful, so touching. |
琼.科恩:弗兰克,那太美妙了 真的很感人 |
Have you ever sent yourself a postcard? |
你自己给自己寄过明信片吗 |
Have you ever sent in a secret to PostSecret? |
你自己给PostSecret发送过秘密吗 |
FW: I have one of my own secrets in every book. |
弗兰克.沃伦:我在我自己的每本书里都有我自己的一个秘密 |
I think in some ways, the reason I started the project, even though I didn't know it at the time, was because I was struggling with my own secrets. |
我觉得,某些程度上,我发起这个项目的原因 尽管我在那时并不清楚 是因为我在为自己的一些小秘密而纠结 |
And it was through crowd-sourcing, it was through the kindness that strangers were showing me, that I could uncover parts of my past that were haunting me. |
而通过把所有秘密集合起来 我看到了与我素不相识的人展现出来的善良 也正是这样 我才能把困扰自己已久的秘密公之于世 |
uncover:v.揭开盖子;发现;揭露;揭发;
|
JC: And has anyone ever discovered which secret was yours in the book? |
琼.科恩:那有没有人发现 你书里面的某个秘密是你的呢 |
Has anyone in your life been able to tell? |
有没有哪个人能够发现呢 |
FW: Sometimes I share that information, yeah. |
弗兰克.沃伦:我有的时候会告诉一些人哪些是我的秘密 |
(Laughter) |
(笑) |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |