返回首页

FrancoSacchi_2007G-_尼莱坞的故事_

I have a story, a story that I would like to share with you. 我有一个故事要跟大家分享
And it's an African story. 一个有关非洲的故事
It is a story of hope, resilience and glamor . 一个有关希望,生命力和魅力的故事
resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力; glamor:n.魅力;魔法;迷人的美;vt.迷惑;使有魅力;
There was Hollywood. 先有了好莱坞
Then came Bollywood . 然后有「宝莱坞」
Bollywood:n.宝莱坞(位于印度孟买的电影制作中心);
Today we have Nollywood, the third-largest film industry in the world. 今天我们有「尼莱坞」:世界上第三大的尼日利亚电影业
In 2006 alone, almost 2,000 films were made in Nigeria. 仅2006年,尼日利亚生产近2000部电影
Now, try to imagine 40, 50 films wrapped , distributed , every week in the streets of Lagos, Nigeria and West Africa. 试想每周有40或50部电影在拉各斯市 尼日利亚和西非的街道制作和分销
wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式) distributed:adj.分布的;分散的;v.分发;分配;使分布(distribute的过去分词和过去式)
Some estimates put the value of this industry at 250 million dollars. 据估计这个行业的价值有2亿5千万美元
estimates:n.估计;估价;估计的成本;v.估价;估算(estimate的第三人称单数和复数)
It has created thousands, if not tens of thousands of jobs. 它创造了至少数以千计的工作
And it's expanding . 而且这个行业仍在增长
expanding:v.扩大,增加,增强细谈;详述;(expand的现在分词)
But keep in mind that this was a grassroots movement. 但请注意,这是一场由基层开始的运动
keep in mind:记住; grassroots:adj.基层的;草根的;乡村的;n.草根;基础;
This is something that happened without foreign investment , without government aid, and actually, it happened against all odds , in one of the most difficult moments in Nigerian economy . 没有外国投资 没有政府的援助,实际上, 完全出乎预料 它发生在尼日利亚经济最困难的时刻,
investment:n.投资;投入;封锁; against all odds:克服一切困难、出乎所有人的意料而完成某事; economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
The industry is 15 years old. 该行业有15年的历史
And so maybe you're thinking now, why, how, an Italian filmmaker based in Boston is so interested in this story? 那么你可能会想 为什么一个住在波士顿的意大利电影制片人 会对这个故事感兴趣?
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者; Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市);
And so I think I have to tell you just a few words, a few things about my personal life, because I think there is a connection. 我觉得我得简短的告诉你们 我的一些个人生活的事情 因为我觉得有关系
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
My grandfather lived most of his life and is buried in Zambia. 我祖父一生大部分时间生活在赞比亚,也埋葬在那里
My father also lived most of his adult life in East Africa. 我父亲成年的日子也大多在东非度过
And I was born in Zambia. 而我出生于赞比亚
Even though I left when I was only three years old, 虽然我三岁时就离开了那里
I really felt that Africa was this big part of my life. 但我真的觉得非洲是我生命中的一大部分
And it really was a place where I learned to walk. 是我学会走路的地方
I think I uttered the first words, and my family bought their first home. 开始呀呀学语的地方 家人买了他们的第一间房子
uttered:v.出声;说;讲(utter的过去分词和过去式)
So when we came back to Italy, and one of the things that I remember the most is my family having this hard time to share stories. 因此当我们回到意大利后 我记忆最深刻的一件事情 是我的家庭很难与人分享非洲的故事
It seemed that for our neighbors and friends, 似乎对我们的邻居和朋友而言
Africa was either this exotic place, this imaginary land that probably exists only in their imagination , or the place of horror , famine . 非洲要么是一个富有异国情调的虚构之地 只存在于他们的想象当中 要么是一个充满恐怖和饥荒的地方
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的; imaginary:adj.虚构的,假想的;想像的;虚数的; imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物; horror:n.恐惧;厌恶;震惊;对某事物的强烈畏惧(或憎恨); famine:n.饥荒;
And so we were always caught in this stereotype . 因此我们总是被固有的成见包围着
stereotype:vt.使用铅版;套用老套,使一成不变;n.陈腔滥调,老套;铅版;
And I remember really this desire to talk about Africa as a place where we lived and people live and go about their lives, and have dreams like we all have. 我记得我有一种强烈的愿望,就是讲讲非洲 一个我们曾经住过的地方,那里的人们同样过着他们的日子 有着跟我们一样的梦想
So when I read in a newspaper in the business page the story of Nollywood, 因此当我在一家报纸的商业版看到一则 关于「尼莱坞」的故事
I really felt this is an incredible opportunity to tell a story that goes against all these preconceived notions . 我知道这是一个难得的机会 来讲述一个与这些先入之见相反的故事
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的; preconceived:adj.预想的; v.预想(preconceive的过去式和过去分词); notions:n.观念(notion的复数);小商品;
Here I can tell a story of Africans making movies like I do, and actually I felt this was an inspiration for me. 这里我可以讲一个非洲人如何和我一样拍电影的故事 对我來說,这实际上是一种启发
I have the good fortune of being a filmmaker-in-residence at the Center of Digital Imaging Arts at Boston University. 凑巧的我是在波士顿大学数码影像艺术中心 做驻中心的制片人
fortune:n.财富;命运;运气;v.给予财富,偶然发生 Digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键; Imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式)
And we really look how digital technology is changing, and how young, independent filmmakers can make movies at a fraction of the cost. 我们看到数码技术是如何不断的改变 而年轻独立制片人 可以制造成本低廉的电影
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); filmmakers:n.制片人(filmmaker的复数); fraction:n.分数;小部分;小数;少量;
So when I proposed the story, 因此当我提议拍这个故事
proposed:adj.建议的;推荐的;v.提议;建议;计划;求婚;(propose的过去分词和过去式)
I really had all the support to make this film. 我得到大力的支持制作这部影片
And not only had the support, 不仅有支持
I found two wonderful partners in crime in this adventure . 我还找到两个很棒的的合作伙伴, 跟我一起开始这次历险
adventure:n.冒险;奇遇;经历;冒险游戏;v.探险;以…冒险;大胆进行;闯;
Aimee Corrigan, a very talented and young photographer, and Robert Caputo, a friend and a mentor , who is a veteran of National Geographic , and told me, "You know, Franco , in 25 years of covering Africa, 一个非常有才华的年轻摄影师-艾米科里根 另一位是我的朋友和导师:罗伯特卡普托 他是一位資深的「国家地理」制作人 他说,佛朗哥,我在非洲工作了25年
mentor:n.指导者,良师益友;vt.指导; veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的; Geographic:adj.地理的;地理学的; Franco:adj.[交]运费准免的;免费的;
I don't know if I have come across a story that is so full of hope and so fun." 我不确定我曾经遇到过如此充滿 希望和有趣的故事」
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
So we went to Lagos in October 2005. 因此我们于2005年10月抵达拉各斯市
And we went to Lagos to meet Bond Emeruwa, a wonderful, talented film director who is with us tonight. 与邦德艾玛鲁华会面 一位才华横溢的导演,他今晚也在场
The plan was to give you a portrait of Nollywood, of this incredible film industry, following Bond in his quest to make an action movie that deals with the issue of corruption , called " Checkpoint ." 我们打算给大家展现尼莱坞的情景 这个神奇的电影工业 我们追随邦德拍摄一部动作片的过程 他的电影涉及贪污问题 影片名叫「检查站」
portrait:n.肖像;描写;半身雕塑像; quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索; action movie:n.动作影片; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落; Checkpoint:n.检查站,关卡;
Police corruption. 是关于警察贪污问题的
And he had nine days to make it. 他只有9天时间拍这部电影
We thought this was a good story. 我们认为这是一个好故事
In the meantime , we had to cover Nollywood, and we talked to a lot of filmmakers. 与此同时,我们也记录了尼莱坞 我们访问了许多电影制片人
In the meantime:在此期间;于此际;
But I don't want to create too many expectations . 我不想制造过多的期望
expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
I would like to show you six minutes. 我就播放6分钟的內容
And these are six minutes, they really prepared for the TED audience. 这六分钟昰专为TED观众准备的
There are several themes from the documentary, but they are re-edited and made for you, OK? 这个纪录片有好几个主题 我们重新编辑了给大家看
So I guess it's a world premier . 我想这算是世界首映吧
premier:adj.第一的;最初的;n.总理,首相;
(Video) 「影像」
Action. 开拍
You cut a nice movie with just 10,000 dollars in Nigeria here. 在尼日利亚 你可以用1万美元拍一部不错的电影
And you shoot in seven days. 7天就可以完成
We're doing films for the masses . 我们拍的电影是給大众看的
masses:n.民众;大量(mass的复数);包块;v.集中;聚集(mass的三单形式);
We're not doing films for the elite and the people in their glass houses. 我们不是为精英一族 和那些住在玻璃屋里的人而拍
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物;
They can afford to watch their " Robocop " and whatever. 他们可以观看“机器战警”和他们感兴趣的任何电影
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起; Robocop:机械战警;
I think filmmaking in Nigeria, for those who work in it, is a kind of subsistence filmmaking -- what they do to make a living . 我觉得在尼日利亚,制作电影,对于这个行业的人来说 是一种维持生存需求的电影制作 - 他们以此为生
filmmaking:n.制片,电影摄制; subsistence:n.生活;生存;存在; make a living:谋生,维持生活;
It's not the fancy filmmaking where you say, oh, you want to put all the razzmatazz of Hollywood, and where you have big budgets . 不像好莱坞那种的大手笔的制作 搞的越华丽堂皇越好 因为你具备雄厚的资本
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; razzmatazz:n.兴奋;活泼;华丽堂皇;adj.使人眼花缭乱的(等于razzle-dazzle); budgets:n.[财政]预算(budget复数形式);v.为…做预算(budget的第三人称单数形式);
Here is that you make this films, it sells, you jump on to the location again to make another film, because if you don't make the next film, you're not going to feed. 在这里你拍一部电影 如果卖得好,你就立刻开拍下一部新戏 因为如果你不拍下一部电影,你会没饭吃
location:n.地方;地点;位置;定位
So while we're entertaining, we should be able to educate. 我们应当能够寓教于乐
I believe in the power of audiovisuals. 我相信影音的力量
I mean, 90 percent of the population will watch Nollywood. 我是说90%的人观看尼莱坞电影
I think it's the most viable vehicle right now to pass information across a dedicated cable . 我认为这是目前利用专用电缆 传递信息的最可行方法
viable:adj.可行的;能养活的;能生育的; vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物; dedicated:adj.献身的; v.把…奉献给; (dedicate的过去分词和过去式) cable:n.电缆; v.打电报; (用锚链,缆索等)系住;
So if you're making a movie, no matter what your topic is, put in a message in there. 因此如果你拍一部电影,不管内容是什么 都应包含一个发人深省的道理
no matter what:不管什么…;
You still have to report the incident. 当然你还得报告事件本身
He needs proper medical attention. 他需要及时的治疗
I keep trying to explain to people, it's not about the quality at the moment -- the quality is coming. 我一直试图向人们解释 目前的问题不是质量好坏 - 质量会逐渐提高
I mean, there are those films that people are making for quality, but the first thing you have to remember about this society is that Africa still has people that live on one dollar a day, and these are the people that really watch these films. 我是说,有些电影是为追求质量而制作的。 但是首先你别忘了非洲这个社会 很多人的生活标准一天只有一美元 而这些人才真正是这些电影的观众
Nollywood is a fantastic industry that has just been born in this part of the world. 尼莱坞是一个神奇的行业 刚刚在世界的这个角落诞生
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
Because nobody believed that Nollywood can come out of Africa. 因为没人相信尼莱坞能够走出非洲
But our films, they are stories that our people can relate to themselves. 但我们的电影 讲述的故事可令人们产生共鸣
They are stories about our people, for our people. 这些故事是关于他们的,是为了他们而制作的
And consistently , they are glued to their screen whenever they see the story. 所以每当他们观看这些故事的时候 他们总是目不转睛
consistently:adv.一贯地;一致地;坚实地; glued:v.(用胶水)粘合,粘牢,粘贴(glue的过去分词和过去式)
Suspense , fun and intrigue . 充满悬念,乐趣丛生,引人入胜
Suspense:n.悬念;悬疑;焦虑;悬而不决; intrigue:n.阴谋;诡计;复杂的事;私通;v.用诡计取得;激起...的兴趣;私通;密谋;
It's the blockbuster comedy . 这样的喜剧大片
blockbuster:n.轰动;巨型炸弹;一鸣惊人者; comedy:n.喜剧;喜剧性;有趣的事情;
You'll crack your ribs . 能让人笑破肚皮
crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的; ribs:n.[解剖]肋骨;排骨(rib的复数);
We have been so deep into the foreign movies. 我们长期以来总是迷恋外国电影
It's all about the foreign movies. 外国电影一直是关注的中心
But we can do something too. 其实我们可以有所作为
We can do something, something that when the world see it, they say, wow, this is Nigeria. 我们可以创作一些东西,当世界看到我们的创作 他们会说,哇,这才是尼日利亚
Just arrest yourself, sergeant . 自首吧, 上士
sergeant:n.军士;警察小队长;海军陆战队中士;高等律师;
Don't embarrass yourself. 别出你自己的洋相
embarrass:v.使局促不安;使困窘;阻碍;
Come on. Don't run away. Come back. Come back. 来吧, 别跑了, 回来,回来
You can now walk the street and see a role model . 现在你走在大街上,就能见到榜样
role model:n.榜样;崇拜对象;
It’s not just what you see in picture. 那不是在电影里看到的
You see the person live. 你看到的是活生生的人
You see how he talks. You see how he lives. 你看他怎么样说话,怎么样生活
He influences you really good, you know. 他对你影响巨大
influences:n.影响; v.影响;
It’s not just what you see in the picture. 不仅仅是你在电影里面所看到的
It is not what you hear, you know, from the Western press. 不是你从西方媒体那里听到的
See you. Bye. 再会,再见
Action. 开拍
I was so fascinated, you know, with those cowboy movies. 我曾经痴迷那些西部牛仔电影
But then when I discovered the situation in my country, at that time there was so much corruption. 但是当我认识到我的国家的处境 那时腐败猖獗
For a young man to really make it out here, you got to think of some negative things and all that, or some kind of vices . 一个年轻人要想出人头地, 就不得不寻找歪门邪道 做坏事
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; vices:n.恶习;罪恶(vice的复数形式);v.钳紧(vice的第三人称单数形式);
And I didn't want that, you know. 可是我不想那样
And I discovered that I could be successful in life as an actor, without doing crime, without cheating nobody, without telling no lies. 后来我发现我可以当个成功的演员 不用犯罪,欺骗别人,或者撒谎
Just me and God-given talent. 就靠我自己和上帝赋予的才能
God-given:adj.难得的;天赋的;神赐的;绝好的;
Let's go. 我们开始吧
OK, it's time to kick some ass. 好的,到我们大显身手的时候了
Cover this. It's your own. 这儿就交给你了
Move it. 动作快点儿
In big countries, when they do the movies, they have all these things in place. 大国制作电影的时候 他们设备精良
But here, we improvise these items , like the gunshots . 但是在这儿,我们得临场发挥,想办法,比如说拍枪击
improvise:v.即兴创作;临时拼凑;临时做; items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数) gunshots:n.射击;射程;炮击;adj.射击的;枪炮射击所致的;
Like they go, here, now now, you see the gun there, but you won't see any guns shot, we use knock-out . 他们说,现在, 马上开枪, 你看到枪支, 却看不到开枪射击, 我们用剪接的办法
knock-out:n.淘汰赛;引人注目的人或物;将对方击倒而获胜的一击;
What I'm scared of is just the [unclear] will come up in my face. 我怕的是爆管飞到我脸上
That's why I use enough masking tape . 这就是我得用足够的胶带的原因
masking tape:n.胶纸带;
The masking tape will hold it. 胶带能固定住它
Wat, wait. Just hold this for me. 等等,把这个给我拿着
I'm just telling her to make sure she places it well so that it won't affect my face -- the explosion , you know. 我只是在告诉她一定要放在合适的位置 以免爆炸伤到我的脸
explosion:n.爆炸;爆发;激增;
But she's a professional . She knows what she’s doing. 其实她很专业,知道自己在做什么
professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员;
I'm trying to protect my face too. 可是我也得保护我的脸呀
This ain't going to be my last movie. 这可不是我演的最后一部电影
You know, this is Nollywood, where the magic lives. 要知道,这里是尼莱坞, 是充满神奇魔力的地方
So now you're about to see how we do our own movies here, with or without any assistance from anybody. 现在你马上就要看到我们如何制作电影 不管有没有别人的帮助
Action. 开拍
Cut.
(Applause) 掌声
Franco Sacchi: So many things to say, so little time. 要说的太多,时间太少
So many themes in this story. 这个故事有众多主题
I just can't tell you -- there’s one thing I want to tell you. 我无法尽述, 我只想说一件事
I spent, you know, several weeks with all these actors, producers, and the problems they have to go through are unimaginable for, you know, a Westerner , a filmmaker who works in America or in Europe. 我和这些演员们,导演们,一起度过好几周的时间 他们遇到的问题是 一个西方导演,比如美国或者欧洲导演,无法想象的
unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的; Westerner:n.西方人,欧美人;美国西部的人;
But always with a smile, always with an enthusiasm , that is incredible. 但是他们总是用微笑,和热情面对 真让人叹服
enthusiasm:n.热心,热忱,热情;
Werner Herzog, the German filmmaker said, "I need to make movies like you need oxygen." 德国电影制作人沃纳赫尔佐格说过 我需要拍电影,就像你需要氧气
And I think they’re breathing. 我认为他们是在呼吸
The Nigerian filmmakers really, really, are doing what they like. 尼日利亚电影制片人真的是在做着自己喜欢的事情
And so it's a very, very important thing for them, and for their audiences. 因此拍电影对他们是一件非常重要的事情 对他们的观众也很重要
A woman told me, "When I see a Nollywood film, 一位女士告诉我,“当我看一部尼莱坞电影时,
I can relax , I really -- I can breathe better." 我能放松,真的呼吸都更顺畅
relax:v.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养;
There is also another very important thing that I hope will resonate with this audience. 另一件重要的事 我希望今天的听众更深有体会的
resonate:vt.共鸣;共振;vi.共鸣;共振;
It’s technology. I’m very interested in it and I really think that the digital non-linear editing has slashed , you know, the cost now is a fraction of what it used to be. 就是技术,我对此很有兴趣 而且我相信数码非线性编辑技术大大削减了电影制作成本 现在电影成本是过去很小的一部分
non-linear:adj.非线性的;非直线的; editing:v.编辑,校订(文章、书籍等);编选;(edit的现在分词) slashed:v.削减(slash的过去式及过去分词);
Incredible cameras cost under 5,000 dollars. 不到5千美元就能买到很棒的摄像机
And this has unleashed tremendous energy. 科技让巨大的创造力释放出来
unleashed:v.发泄;突然释放;使爆发(unleash的过去分词和过去式) tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的;
And guess what? 你猜怎么着?
We didn’t have to tell to the Nigerian filmmakers. 我们不用告诉尼日利亚电影制片人
They understood it, they embraced the technology and they run with it, and they’re successful. 他们理解并欣然接纳了技术 他们在使用新技术上得心应手
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式)
I hope that the Nollywood phenomenon will go both ways. 我希望尼莱坞现象能够起双向作用
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
I hope it will inspire other African nations to embrace the technology, look at the Nigerian model, make their film, create jobs, create a narrative for the population, something to identify , 我希望其他非洲国家能受到启发充分利用技术 以尼日利亚为榜样,拍电影,创造就业机会 为自己的人民创作能让他们感同身受的故事
inspire:v.激发;鼓舞;启示;产生;使生灵感; narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现:
something positive , something that really is psychological relief and it's part of the culture. 积极正面,并且能够提供心灵慰籍的故事 并且是他们自己文化里的东西
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的; relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
But I really think this is a phenomenon that can inspire us. 但是我认为尼莱坞现象更能给我们启示
I really think it goes both ways. 我确实认为尼莱坞的作用是双向的
Filmmakers, friends of mine, they look at Nollywood and they say, "Wow, they are doing what we really want to do, and make a buck and live with this job." 我的电影制作人朋友们, 他们看到尼莱坞, 就会感叹 哇, 他们做的正是我们真正想做的 挣点儿钱, 以拍电影为生
buck:n.(美)钱,元;雄鹿;纨绔子弟;年轻的印第安人或黑人;
So I really think it’s a lesson that we're actually learning from them. 所以我认为 是我们实际上从他们身上学到了东西
And there's one thing, one small challenge that I have for you, and should make us reflect on the importance of storytelling . 有一件事,我给你们提出一个小小的挑战 它能使我们反思讲故事的重要性
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑; storytelling:n.讲故事;说谎话;adj.讲故事的;说谎的;
And I think this is really the theme of this session . 我认为这正是这场演讲的主题
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
Try to imagine a world where the only goal is food and a shelter, but no stories. 试着想象一下一个食物和住所是唯一目标的世界,没有故事
No stories around the campfire . 没有篝火边讲的故事
campfire:n.营火;营火会;
No legends , no fairytales . 没有传奇,没有神话
legends:n.传说; (legend的复数) fairytales:n.童话(fairytale的复数);童真;
Nothing. 什么都没有
No novels . 没有小说
novels:n.小说;(novel的复数)
Difficult, eh? It's meaningless. 很难想象,对吧?毫无意义
So this is what I really think. 那么,我是这样认为的
I think that the key to a healthy society is a thriving community of storytellers , and I think that the Nigerian filmmakers really have proved this. 我认为通往一个健康社会的钥匙 就是一个生机勃勃的讲故事人的群体 并且我认为尼日利亚电影制作人证实了这一点
thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; storytellers:n.说故事的人(storyteller的复数);
I would like you to hear their voices. 我想让你们听听他们的声音
Just few moments. 只是几个片段
It’s not an added sequence , just some voices from Nollywood. 不是加上的续集, 只是来自尼莱坞的一些声音
sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
Video: Nollywood is the best thing that can happen to them. 尼莱坞是发生在他们身上最好的事情
If you have an industry that puts a smile on people's face, that’s Nollywood. 如果有一种工业能让人们脸上绽放笑容, 那就是尼莱坞
I believe very soon, we’re not only going to have better movies, we'll have that original Nigerian movie. 我想不久,我们不仅有更好的电影 我们会有原汁原味的尼日利亚电影
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
It’s still the same basic themes. 当然基本的主题还是那些
Love, action. 爱情,动作
But we're telling it our own way, our own Nigerian way, African way. 但是我们是用我们自己的方式讲述这些故事,尼日利亚方式,非洲的方式
We have diverse cultures, diverse cultures, there are so many, that in the natal lifetimes, 我们有多元的文化,种类如此繁多, 在我们的有生之年
diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的; natal:adj.出生的;诞生的;分娩的;出生地的;
I don't see us exhausting the stories we have. 我不认为我们可以穷尽这些故事
exhausting:adj.使人精疲力竭的;v.耗尽;使筋疲力尽;(exhaust的现在分词)
FS: My job ends here, and the Nollywood filmmakers really have now to work. 我的任务到此结束。尼莱坞的电影制作人需要去工作了
And I really hope that there will be many, many collaborations , where we teach each other things. 我非常希望未来会有很多很多的合作 我们可以学习很多东西
collaborations:n.协作(collaboration的复数);
And I really hope that this will happen. 我真的希望这能够实现
Thank you very much. 非常感谢
(Applause) 掌声
Chris Anderson: Stop. I've got two questions. 克里斯 安德森: 等一下,我有两个问题
Franco, you described this as the world's third largest film industry. 佛朗哥, 你说尼莱坞是世界上第三大电影工业
described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
What does that translate to in terms of numbers of films, really? 那么在电影数量上这到底是个什么概念呢
translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
FS: Oh, yes. I think I mentioned briefly -- it's close to 2,000 films. 佛朗哥: 对了, 我前面简单提到过,大约是两千部电影
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地;
There is scientific data on this. 有科学的数据
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
CA: 2,000 films a year? 一年两千部电影吗?
FS: 2,000 films a year. 2005 or 6, 对,两千零五,两千零六部
The censor board has censored 1,600 films alone. 光是审查委员会就要审查一千六百部
censored:adj.设限,被检查过的;v.审查;删掉(censor的过去分词);
And we know that there are more. 我们知道实际数量比这还多
So it’s safe to say that there are 2,000 films. 所以可以肯定有两千部
So imagine 45 films per week. 想象一下一周生产45部电影
There are challenges. There are challenges. 有很多挑战,很多挑战
There is a glut of film, the quality has to be raised, they need to go to the next level, but I’m optimistic . 电影生产过剩 质量需要提高,他们必须走向更高层次 但是我很乐观
glut:vt.使…充满;使…吃饱;过多供应;vi.吃得过多;n.(商品)供过于求;大量; optimistic:adj.乐观的;乐观主义的;
CA: And these aren’t films that are primarily seen in cinemas? 克: 这些不是主要在影院里放映的电影吗?
primarily:adv.首先;主要地,根本上;
FS: Oh yes, of course. This is very important. 佛: 对了, 当然,这点很重要
Maybe, you know, for you to try to imagine this, these are films that are distributed directly in markets. 试想一下 这些是直接在市场上分销的电影
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就;
They are bought in video shops. 他们在录影带店里出售
They can be rented for pennies. 几分钱就可以租来看
CA: On what format? 克:用什么形式?
FS: Oh, the format -- thank you for the question. Yes, it's VCDs. 弗: 形式,对了,谢谢你的问题,是VCD
It's a CD, it's a little bit more compressed image. 是一种CD(光碟), 但是影象更加压缩
compressed:adj.(空气或气体)压缩的; v.(被)压紧; (compress的过去式和过去分词)
They started with VHS. 他们开始的时候使用VHS(录影带)
They actually didn't wait for, you know, the latest technology. 他们实际上并没有等待最新技术的到来
They started in '92, '94. 他们是从92,94年开始的
So there are 57 million VCRs in Nigeria, that play, you know, VHS and these VCDs. 尼日利亚有五千七百万录像机 可以播放录影带和光碟
It's a CD basically . It's a compact disc . 实际上它是一种光盘,压缩光盘
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; compact disc:n.激光唱片;
CA: So on the streets, are film casts ... ? 克: 那么电影是在大街上卖的吗?
FS: You can be in a Lagos traffic jam and you can buy a movie or some bananas or some water. Yes. 佛:你可能在拉各斯遇上堵车 你也许会买部电影, 或者香蕉,水什么的.是的
traffic jam:n.堵车;交通阻塞;
(Laughter) 笑声
And I have to say, this really proves that storytelling, it's a commodity , it's a staple . 我必须说,这真的证明了讲故事 是一种商品,一种必需品
commodity:n.商品,货物;日用品; staple:n.主要产品; adj.主要的,常用的; v.把…分级;
There is no life without stories. 没有故事就没有生活
CA: Franco, thank you so much. 克:佛朗哥,非常感谢你。