返回首页

FinnMyrstad_2018S-_科技公司如何欺骗你放弃数据和隐私_

Do you remember when you were a child, you probably had a favorite toy that was a constant companion , like Christopher Robin had Winnie the Pooh , and your imagination fueled endless adventures? 你还记得童年时期, 你可能有一个钟爱的玩具与你形影不离, 就像克里斯多夫 · 罗宾有小熊维尼一样, 以及你那充满无尽冒险的想象力吗?
companion:n.同伴;伴侣;陪伴;手册;v.(与…)同行;(跟…)搭伴儿去; Robin:知更鸟,罗宾(人名) Pooh:vt.使疲倦;int.呸(轻视之声); imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物; endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的;
What could be more innocent than that? 还有什么比这个更天真的呢?
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
Well, let me introduce you to my friend Cayla. 让我向你们介绍我的朋友凯拉。
Cayla was voted toy of the year in countries around the world. 凯拉是全球各个国家投票选出的年度玩具。
She connects to the internet and uses speech recognition technology to answer your child's questions, respond just like a friend. 她能与互联网连接并使用语音识别技术 来回答孩子们的问题, 就像一个朋友一样。
recognition:n.识别;认识;承认;认可; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
But the power doesn't lie with your child's imagination. 但权力并不在你孩子的想象力中。
It actually lies with the company harvesting masses of personal information while your family is innocently chatting away in the safety of their home, a dangerously false sense of security. 它其实在于公司所收集的 海量个人信息上, 你的家人在安全的家中闲聊时, 这其实是一种对于安全感的危险错觉。
masses:n.民众;大量(mass的复数);包块;v.集中;聚集(mass的三单形式); personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; innocently:adv.纯洁地;无罪地; dangerously:adv.危险地;不安全;
This case sounded alarm bells for me, as it is my job to protect consumers ' rights in my country. 这个案子给我敲响了警钟, 因为我的工作是保护 我们国家消费者的权益。
consumers:n.消费者;顾客;用户;(consumer的复数)
And with billions of devices such as cars, energy meters and even vacuum cleaners expected to come online by 2020, we thought this was a case worth investigating further. 随着到2020年,数十亿诸如 汽车,能源仪表,甚至吸尘器 那样的设备投入使用, 我们认为这个案例值得深入调查。
devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数); vacuum:n.真空; adj.真空的; v.用真空吸尘器清扫; investigating:v.调查;研究;审查;(investigate的现在分词)
Because what was Cayla doing with all the interesting things she was learning? 我们很好奇,凯拉用她所学到的 所有有趣的东西,到底做了些什么呢?
Did she have another friend she was loyal to and shared her information with? 她有没有另一个忠实的朋友, 分享她的信息?
loyal:adj.忠诚的,忠心的;忠贞的;n.效忠的臣民;忠实信徒;
Yes, you guessed right. She did. 是的,你猜对了,她有的。
In order to play with Cayla, you need to download an app to access all her features. 要跟凯拉玩耍, 你需要下载一个APP 来获取她所有的功能。
Parents must consent to the terms being changed without notice. 家长必须同意更改条款而毋须另行通知。
consent:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成;
The recordings of the child, her friends and family, can be used for targeted advertising . 孩子们,她的好友和家人的录音, 可以被用于定向广告。
advertising:n.做广告;广告业;广告活动;v.做广告;(advertise的现在分词)
And all this information can be shared with unnamed third parties. 并且所有这些信息都可以 与未具名的第三方分享。
unnamed:adj.无名的;未命名的;未提及的;
Enough? Not quite. 就这些了?其实还不止。
Anyone with a smartphone can connect to Cayla within a certain distance. 任何有智能手机的人在一定的距离内 都可以连接到凯拉。
smartphone:n.智能手机;
When we confronted the company that made and programmed Cayla, they issued a series of statements that one had to be an IT expert in order to breach the security. 当我们与制造和开发凯拉的公司对峙时, 他们发表了一系列的声明称 只有IT专家才能破坏其安全性。
confronted:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的过去分词和过去式) issued:v.宣布;公布;发出;将…诉诸法律;(issue的过去分词和过去式) series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; statements:n.说明; v.(英国)对儿童进行特殊教育评估认定; (statement的第三人称单数和复数) breach:n.违背;破坏;辜负;中断;v.违反;违背;在…上打开缺口;
Shall we fact-check that statement and live hack Cayla together? 我们要不要一起核实一下这份声明, 直播一下如何“劫持”凯拉?
hack:n.砍; v.砍; adj.出租的;
Here she is. 这就是她。
Cayla is equipped with a Bluetooth device which can transmit up to 60 feet, a bit less if there's a wall between. 凯拉装备有蓝牙设备, 传输距离可以达到60英尺, 如果有墙阻挡就少点。
Bluetooth:n.蓝牙技术(一种无线通信的标准); transmit:v.传送;发射;播送;传播;传染;
That means I, or any stranger, can connect to the doll while being outside the room where Cayla and her friends are. 这意味着,我或任何陌生人 在凯拉和她朋友的 家门口就能连接上她。
And to illustrate this, 为了演示这个过程,
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实;
I'm going to turn Cayla on now. 我现在把凯拉开机。
Let's see, one, two, three. 让我们看看,1,2,3.
There. She's on. And I asked a colleague to stand outside with his smartphone, and he's connected, and to make this a bit creepier ... 好了,她开机了,我之前让一位同事 拿着他的智能手机站在门外, 现在他连上了, 为了加点恐怖的气氛…
colleague:n.同事,同僚; creepier:令人毛骨悚然的;怪异的;离奇的(使人感到紧张)(creepy的比较级);
(Laughter) (笑声)
let's see what kids could hear Cayla say in the safety of their room. 让我们看看孩子们会在他们安全的 家中听到凯拉说什么。
Man: Hi. My name is Cayla. What is yours? 男:嗨,我叫凯拉,你的名字呢?
Finn Myrstad: Uh, Finn. 芬恩:芬恩。
Finn:n.芬兰人;爱尔兰巨人;
Man: Is your mom close by? 男:你妈妈在旁边吗?
FM: Uh, no, she's in the store. 芬恩:不在,她在店里。
Man: Ah. Do you want to come out and play with me? 男:啊,你想出来跟我一起玩耍吗?
FM: That's a great idea. 芬恩:真是好主意呀。
Man: Ah, great. 男:好呀。
FM: I'm going to turn Cayla off now. 芬恩:我现在要关掉凯拉了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
We needed no password or to circumvent any other type of security to do this. 我们无须任何密码 或规避任何其他安全措施就可以做到。
circumvent:vt.包围;陷害;绕行;
We published a report in 20 countries around the world, exposing this significant security flaw and many other problematic issues . 我们在全球20个国家发布了一份报告, 曝光了这种明显的安全漏洞 和很多其他问题。
exposing:v.暴露;显露;揭露;揭穿;使面临;(expose的现在分词) significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; flaw:n.瑕疵,缺点; v.使生裂缝,使有裂纹; vi.生裂缝; problematic:adj.问题的;有疑问的;不确定的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
So what happened? 后来怎么样了呢?
Cayla was banned in Germany, taken off the shelves by Amazon and Wal-Mart , and she's now peacefully resting at the German Spy Museum in Berlin. 凯拉在德国被禁止出售, 被亚马逊和沃尔玛下架, 现在她正平静地呆在 柏林的德国间谍博物馆。
banned:v.明令禁止;取缔;禁止(某人)做某事;(ban的过去分词和过去式) Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; Wal-Mart:n.沃尔玛; peacefully:adv.平静地;和平地;
(Laughter) (笑声)
However, Cayla was also for sale in stores around the world for more than a year after we published our report. 然而,在我们报告发布前,凯拉已经在 全球各地的商店出售超过一年。
What we uncovered is that there are few rules to protect us and the ones we have are not being properly enforced . 我们所揭示的是, 很少有规则能够保护我们, 并且有的规则往往也 得不到很好的执行。
uncovered:adj.裸露的; v.揭开盖子; (uncover的过去式和过去分词) enforced:adj.强迫的;强制性的;v.强制执行;迫使;(enforce的过去分词和过去式)
We need to get the security and privacy of these devices right before they enter the market, because what is the point of locking a house with a key if anyone can enter it through a connected device? 在它们进入市场时,我们需要让 这些设备具备可靠的安全和隐私功能, 因为如果任何人都可以 通过一个联网设备进来, 用钥匙锁门的意义又何在?
privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处;
You may well think, "This will not happen to me. 你可能会觉得,“这没发生在我身上。
I will just stay away from these flawed devices." 我只需要远离这些有缺陷的设备就好。”
flawed:adj.有缺陷的;有瑕疵的;有裂纹的;
But that won't keep you safe, because simply by connecting to the internet, you are put in an impossible take-it-or-leave-it position. 但这无法保证你的安全, 因为只是通过连接上互联网, 你就不可避免地被置于 要么接受,要么走人的境地。
take-it-or-leave-it:adj.无商谈余地的;无选择余地的;二者择一的;
Let me show you. 给大家看看。
Like most of you, I have dozens of apps on my phone, and used properly, they can make our lives easier, more convenient and maybe even healthier. 像很多人一样,我手机上有几十个应用, 使用得当,它们可以让我们生活更轻松, 更便捷,甚至可能更健康。
convenient:adj.实用的;便利的;方便的;
But have we been lulled into a false sense of security? 但我们是否被一种 虚假的安全感蒙蔽了呢?
lulled:vt.使平静;使安静;哄骗;vi.平息;减弱;停止;n.间歇;暂停;暂时平静;
It starts simply by ticking a box. 它开始于简单勾选一个方框开始。
Yes, we say, 是的,我们会说,
I've read the terms. 我已经阅读过这些条款。
But have you really read the terms? 但你真的阅读了这些条款吗?
Are you sure they didn't look too long and your phone was running out of battery , and the last time you tried they were impossible to understand, and you needed to use the service now? 你确定它们不是看起来太长, 你的手机快没电了, 你最后一次尝试时, 它们非常晦涩难懂, 而且你需要立刻使用这个服务?
battery:n.[电]电池,蓄电池;n.[法]殴打;n.[军]炮台,炮位;
And now, the power imbalance is established , because we have agreed to our personal information being gathered and used on a scale we could never imagine. 目前,权力的不平衡已经建立, 因为我们同意让对方 收集我们的个人信息, 并用于我们无法想象的规模层面。
imbalance:n.不平衡;不安定; established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
This is why my colleagues and I decided to take a deeper look at this. 这就是我和同事们决定去 深入研究这个问题的原因。
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
We set out to read the terms of popular apps on an average phone. 我们开始阅读 一台普通手机上热门应用的条款。
on an average:平均而言;一般说来;作为平均数;
And to show the world how unrealistic it is to expect consumers to actually read the terms, we printed them, more than 900 pages, and sat down in our office and read them out loud ourselves, streaming the experiment live on our websites. 并且向世界展示,让消费者去阅读 这些条款是多么的不切实际, 我们把这些条款打印出来, 总长度超过了900页纸, 然后坐在办公室里大声朗读, 并在我们的网站上直播这个实验。
unrealistic:adj.不切实际的;不实在的;
As you can see , it took quite a long time. 很显然,需要花很长的时间。
As you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
It took us 31 hours, 49 minutes and 11 seconds to read the terms on an average phone. 我们花了31个小时,49分钟11秒 才阅读完一台普通手机上的条款。
That is longer than a movie marathon of the "Harry Potter" movies and the " Godfather " movies combined. 这比《哈利波特》和《教父》 系列电影加起来还长。
Godfather:n.教父;v.当…的教父;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And reading is one thing. 阅读是一回事,
Understanding is another story. 理解则是另外一码事。
That would have taken us much, much longer. 这会需要我们更多更多的时间。
And this is a real problem, because companies have argued for 20 to 30 years against regulating the internet better, because users have consented to the terms and conditions. 这是一个切实存在的问题, 因为这些公司争执了20-30年, 反对更好地监管互联网, 因为用户已经同意了这些条款和条件。
regulating:vt.调节;校正(regulate的现在分词); consented:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成;
As we've shown with this experiment, achieving informed consent is close to impossible. 正如我们在这个实验中展示的, 获得知情同意几乎是不可能的。
informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式)
Do you think it's fair to put the burden of responsibility on the consumer? 你认为让消费者承担责任是公平的吗?
burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于;
I don't. 我不认同。
I think we should demand less take-it-or-leave-it and more understandable terms before we agree to them. 我认为我们应该要求减少 要么接受要么放弃, 在我们同意前给出更多可理解的条款。
understandable:adj.可以理解的;可以了解的;
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Thank you. 谢谢。
Now, I would like to tell you a story about love. 现在我想讲一个关于爱的故事。
Some of the world's most popular apps are dating apps, an industry now worth more than, or close to, three billion dollars a year. 一些世界上最流行的应用是相亲应用, 这个行业现在价值超过 或接近,一年30亿美元。
And of course, we're OK sharing our intimate details with our other half . 当然,我们可以与另一半 分享我们的私密细节。
intimate:n.知己; v.暗示; adj.亲密的; other half:n.另一半(指配偶或男友,女友);
But who else is snooping , saving and sharing our information while we are baring our souls? 但当我们在坦白灵魂时, 还有谁在窥探,保存和 分享我们的信息呢?
snooping:v.窥探;打探;探听(snoop的现在分词) baring:n.暴露,掘开;v.脱去;暴露(bare的ing形式);
My team and I decided to investigate this. 我和团队打算对此展开调查。
investigate:v.调查;研究;审查;
And in order to understand the issue from all angles and to truly do a thorough job, 为了从各个角度了解这个问题 并认真做好工作,
thorough:adj.彻底的;十分的;周密的;
I realized I had to download one of the world's most popular dating apps myself. 我意识到我得亲自下载 一款世界上最流行的相亲软件。
So I went home to my wife ... 所以我回家问我老婆…
(Laughter) (笑声)
who I had just married. 我们刚结婚不久。
'"Is it OK if I establish a profile on a very popular dating app for purely scientific purposes?" “纯粹为了科学研究,我可以在 一个非常流行的相亲软件上 建立个人档案吗?”
profile:n.轮廓;简介;形象;外形;v.扼要介绍;概述;写简介; purely:adv.完全;仅仅; scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
This is what we found. 于是我们发现了这个。
Hidden behind the main menu was a preticked box that gave the dating company access to all my personal pictures on Facebook, in my case more than 2,000 of them, and some were quite personal. 隐藏在主菜单后面的 是一个预先标记好的格子, 让这个相亲公司可以获取 我在Facebook上的所有个人照片, 我个人有超过2千张照片, 其中有些相当私密。
And to make matters worse, when we read the terms and conditions, we discovered the following, and I'm going to need to take out my reading glasses for this one. 并且更糟糕的是, 当我阅读条款时, 我们发现了下面的内容, 我需要掏出老花镜才能看清。
And I'm going to read it for you, because this is complicated . 我打算给大家阅读一下,因为太复杂了。
complicated:adj.复杂的;难懂的;v.使复杂化;(complicate的过去分词和过去式)
All right. 好的。
'"By posting r="Bl ack"> content " -- and content refers to your pictures, chat and ot r="Bl ack"> her ont colo r="Bl ack"> interactions in the dating service -- "as a part of the service, you r="Bl ack"> automatically grant to the company, its r="Bl ack"> affiliates , r="Bl ack"> licensees and r="Bl ack"> successors “发布内容”—— 内容指你的照片,聊天记录 和其他在相亲服务上的互动—— “作为服务的一部分, 你自动授予公司, 及其关联方,被许可方或继任公司
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; interactions:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;(interaction复数) automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; affiliates:联播电台; licensees:n.获许可的人; (licensee的复数);
an irrevocable " -- which means you can't change your mind -- " perpetual " -- which means forever -- " nonexclusive , transferrable , sublicensable, fully paid-up , 不可撤销,”——意思是你不能改变主意—— “永久的”——意思是永远—— “非排他、可转让、可附带许可、完全付费、
irrevocable:adj.不可改变的;不能取消的;不能挽回的; perpetual:adj.永久的;不断的;四季开花的;无期限的; nonexclusive:adj.无排他性的;非独家的; transferrable:adj.可转移的;可传递的;可转换的; paid-up:adj.已付的;(股份)已全部结清的;
worldwide right and license to use, copy, store, perform , display , reproduce , record, play, adapt , modify and distribute the content, prepare derivative works of the content, or incorporate the content into other works 在全球范围内的使用、复制、存储、执行、 显示、复制、录制、 播放、改编、修改和分发内容 以及内容的派生作品的权利和许可, 或将内容合并到其他作品中,
worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地; perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好); display:n.显示;炫耀;vt.显示;表现;陈列;vi.[动]作炫耀行为;adj.展览的;陈列用的; reproduce:v.繁殖;复制;再现;生育; adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应; modify:vt.修改,修饰;更改;vi.修改; distribute:v.分发;分配;分销;分散; derivative:n.[化学]衍生物,派生物;导数;adj.派生的;引出的; incorporate:vt.包含,吸收; vi.合并; adj.合并的;
and grant and authorize sublicenses of the foregoing in any media now known or hereafter created." 并在任何已知或以后创建的媒体中授予 和授权上述转授许可。”
authorize:vt.批准,认可;授权给;委托代替; foregoing:adj.前述的;前面的;在前的;v.发生在…之前;走在…之前(forego的ing形式); media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; hereafter:n.将来;来世;adv.今后,从此以后;
That basically means that all your dating history and everything related to it can be used for any purpose for all time. 这基本上意味着你所有的相亲历史 以及任何与之有关的一切东西 可以一直被用于任何目的。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Just imagine your children seeing your sassy dating photos in a birth control ad 20 years from now. 想象一下,你的孩子 在20年后的节育广告中 会看到你时髦的约会照。
sassy:adj.无礼的;时髦的;活泼的;厚脸皮的; birth control:adj.节育的;避孕的;
But seriously, though -- 但说真的——
(Laughter) (笑声)
what might these commercial practices mean to you? 这些商业惯例对你意味着什么?
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
For example, financial loss: based on your web browsing history, algorithms might decide whether you will get a mortgage or not. 比如,财务损失: 基于你的网站浏览历史, 算法可能决定你能否该获得贷款。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; browsing:v.随便看看;浏览;翻阅;浏览信息;(browse的现在分词) mortgage:vt.抵押;n.抵押;房屋抵押贷款;
Subconscious manipulation : companies can analyze your emotions based on your photos and chats, targeting you with ads when you are at your most vulnerable . 潜意识操纵: 公司可以通过你的照片 和聊天分析你的情绪, 在你最脆弱时投放针对你的定向广告。
Subconscious:adj.潜意识的;下意识的;n.潜在意识;下意识心理活动; manipulation:n.操作;管理措施;处理;操纵证券市场;变换; analyze:v.对…进行分析,分解(等于analyse); emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
Discrimination : a fitness app can sell your data to a health insurance company, preventing you from getting coverage in the future. 歧视: 健身应用可以把你的 数据卖给健康保险公司, 让你将来获得保险困难重重。
Discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力; fitness:n.健康;适当;适合性; insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的; coverage:n.覆盖,覆盖范围;
All of this is happening in the world today. 所有这一切都发生在今天的世界中。
But of course, not all uses of data are malign . 但当然,并非所有的 数据使用都是有害的。
malign:vt.诽谤,污蔑;中伤,说坏话;adj.恶意的,恶性的;有害的;
Some are just flawed or need more work, and some are truly great. 有些只是缺陷,或者需要更多的工作, 有些则真的很棒。
And there is some good news as well. 这里也有一些好消息。
The dating companies changed their policies globally after we filed a legal complaint . 在我们提出诉讼后,这个交友公司 改变了他们的全球政策。
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; complaint:n.抱怨;投诉;控告;不满;
But organizations such as mine that fight for consumers' rights can't be everywhere. 但像我们这样 为消费者权益斗争的 组织不是到处都有。
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
Nor can consumers fix this on their own, because if we know that something innocent we said will come back to haunt us, we will stop speaking. 消费者也无法独自修复这个问题, 因为假如我们知道 我们的一些无心之言 会反过来困扰我们, 我们就会停止发声。
haunt:v.出没;作祟;n.栖息地;常去的地方;
If we know that we are being watched and monitored, we will change our behavior. 如果我们知道自己正在被关注和监控, 就会改变自身的行为。
And if we can't control who has our data and how it is being used, we have lost the control of our lives. 如果我们无法控制谁拥有 我们的数据,以及数据如何被使用, 我们就失去了对自己生活的控制。
The stories I have told you today are not random examples. 我今天告诉你们的故事 并不是随机的案例。
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地;
They are everywhere, and they are a sign that things need to change. 它们无处不在, 它们标志着是时候该改变现状了。
And how can we achieve that change? 我们如何才能实现这种改变?
Well, companies need to realize that by prioritizing privacy and security, they can build trust and loyalty to their users. 公司需要认识到应该以隐私和安全为先, 在此基础上培养用户的信任和忠诚。
prioritizing:v.按重要性排列;划分优先顺序;优先处理;(prioritize的现在分词) loyalty:n.忠诚;忠心;忠实;忠于…感情;
Governments must create a safer internet by ensuring enforcement and up-to-date rules. 政府必须通过监督执行和更新规则 去构建一个更安全的互联网。
ensuring:v.保证;确保;担保(ensure的现在分词); enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制; up-to-date:adj.最新的;最近的;现代的;
And us, the citizens? 而我们这些公民呢?
We can use our voice to remind the world that technology can only truly benefit society if it respects basic rights. 我们可以用自己的声音 去提醒世界,科技只有 在尊重基本权利的基础上, 才能真正让全社会受益。
remind:v.提醒;使想起;
Thank you so much. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (鼓掌)