返回首页

FieldsWickerMiurin_2009S-_领导力的“实战手册”_

I'm going to talk about some of my discoveries around the world through my work. 通过我遍及全球的工作,我要讲讲 我的一些 见闻。
These are not discoveries of planets or new technologies or science. 这不是关于行星的发现 新技术 或者科学。
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
They're discoveries of people and the way people are and new leadership. 而是关乎人的故事 他们的身份认同和新领导力。
This is Benki. 这是本齐Benki。
Benki is a leader of the Ashaninka Nation. 本齐是阿沙宁卡部落的领导者。
His people live in Brazil and in Peru. 他的族人生活在巴西 和秘鲁。
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
Benki comes from a village so remote up in the Amazon that to get there, either you have to fly and land on water, or go by canoe for several days. 本齐来自亚马逊的一个 偏远乡村, 要到达那里,你要么做飞机, 要么水陆过去, 或者乘独木舟要好几天。
remote:adj.偏远的;偏僻的;遥远的;久远的; Amazon:亚马逊;古希腊女战士; canoe:n.独木舟;轻舟;vi.乘独木舟;vt.用独木舟运;
I met Benki three years ago in Sao Paulo when I'd brought him and other leaders from indigenous peoples to meet with me and leaders from around the world, because we wanted to learn from each other. 三年前在圣保罗我遇见本齐, 当我和他,还有其他 原住民的首领 和来自全球的领导者见面聚会, 缘于我们想互相学习。
indigenous:adj.本土的;土著的;国产的;固有的;
We wanted to share our stories with each other. 我们想分享彼此的故事。
The Ashaninka people are known throughout South America for their dignity , their spirit and their resistance , starting with the Incas and continuing through the 19th century with the rubber tappers . 阿沙宁卡原住民 在南美洲 因他们的尊严,精神 和他们的韧劲而著称, 始于印加文化 持续到19世纪 收集橡胶的历史。
throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; South America:n.南美洲; dignity:n.尊严;高贵; resistance:n.电阻;抵抗;阻力;抗力; Incas:n.印加人;印加文明; rubber:n.橡胶;橡皮;v.涂橡胶于…; tappers:n.轻敲者;电报键;
Today's biggest threat to the Ashaninka people and to Benki comes from illegal logging -- the people who come into the beautiful forest and cut down ancient mahogany trees, float them down the river to world markets. 今天对阿沙宁卡原住民 和本齐最大的威胁 来自于非法采伐木材-- 人们来到这美丽的森林 砍伐古老的红木树, 把它们顺河漂浮运输到世界市场。
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工; logging:n.伐木作业;v.把…载入正式记录;记录;采伐;(log的现在分词) mahogany:n.桃花心木,红木;红褐色;
Benki knew this. 本齐知道这个事。
He could see what was happening to his forest, to his environment, because he was taken under his grandfather's wing when he was only two years old to begin to learn about the forest and the way of life of his people. 他能看到,他赖以生存的环境和森林将会付出什么代价, 因为他受命于他的祖父旨意 当他仅有2岁时, 就开始学习森林 和他族人生活方式的关系。
His grandfather died when he was only 10. 当他仅10岁时他祖父去世。
And at that young age, 10 years old, 在很小的年龄,10岁,
Benki became the paje of his community . 本齐变成他族群的Paje帕杰首领。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Now in the Ashaninka tradition and culture, the paje is the most important person in the community. 按现在阿沙宁卡传统文化, 帕杰就是族群最重要的 人物。
This is the person who contains within him all the knowledge, all the wisdom , of centuries and centuries of life, and not just about his people, but about everything his people's survival depended on: the trees, the birds, the water, the soil, the forest. 帕杰就是自身掌握 所有世纪以来的生活知识和 智慧, 不仅仅关于他族群的人民, 还关乎于他族群人民赖以维系的一切东西: 树木,鸟群, 河水,土壤和森林。
wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
So when he was only 10 and he became the paje, he began to lead his people. 当他仅10岁时就变成帕杰, 开始领导他的人民。
He began to talk to them about the forest that they needed to protect, the way of life they needed to nurture . 他开始谈论 必须要保护森林, 并抚育他们的生活方式。
nurture:v.养育;培养;养护;支持;
He explained to them that it was not a question of survival of the fittest; it was a question of understanding what they needed to survive and to protect that. 他给族人详细解释 这不是关于适者生存的问题; 而是理解 赖以他们维系生存的问题 并保护森林。
Eight years later, when he was a young man of 18, 八年后, 但本齐是个10岁青年,
Benki left the forest for the first time. 第一次离开森林。
He went 3,000 miles on an odyssey to Rio to the Earth Summit to tell the world what was happening in his tiny, little corner. 他好似奥德赛行进三千英里来到里约热内卢 参加地球峰会, 告诉世界在他的 微小,小角落所发生的变化。
odyssey:n.奥德赛(古希腊史诗); Summit:n.峰会;山顶;顶点;最高点;
And he went because he hoped the world would listen. 他希望世界能听他说,他才来。
Some did, not everybody. 有些人听之,但不是每个人。
But if you can imagine this young man with his headdress and his flowing robe , learning a new language, Portuguese , not to mention English, going to Rio, building a bridge to reach out to people he'd never met before -- a pretty hostile world. 你可能想象到一个年轻男人 带有头饰和穿着他的长袍 还要学会新语言,葡萄牙语, 而不是英语, 来到里约热内卢, 建立一个沟通的桥梁 去认识他先前从没遇到的人们-- 他们来自一个非常敌意的世界。
headdress:n.头发编梳的式样;饰头巾; robe:n.长袍;袍服,礼袍;vt.穿上礼袍 Portuguese:adj.葡萄牙的;葡萄牙人的;葡萄牙语的;n.葡萄牙人;葡萄牙语; not to mention:更不必说;不必提及; hostile:adj.敌意的; n.敌对分子;
But he wasn't dismayed . 但他没有绝望。
dismayed:adj.吃惊,惊愕; v.使…灰心;
Benki came back to his village full of ideas -- new technologies, new research, new ways of understanding what was going on. 本齐带回给村庄很多想法-- 新技术,新研究, 理解未来的新方法。
Since that time, he's continued to work with his people, and not only the Ashaninka Nation, but all the peoples of the Amazon and beyond. 自从那时, 本齐继续和他的族人工作, 不仅仅包括阿沙宁卡的人, 而是整个亚马逊的原住民甚至更多。
He's built schools to teach children to care for the forest. 他建了学校 教育孩子要保护森林。
Together, he's led the reforestation of over 25 percent of the land that had been destroyed by the loggers . 他一同领导 超过25%的原被砍伐摧毁土地的 重新造林。
reforestation:n.重新造林; loggers:n.伐木工人(logger的复数形式);
He's created a cooperative to help people diversify their livelihoods . 他创建互助 来帮助人们多样化他们的生计。
cooperative:adj.合作的;协作的;同心协力的;协助的;n.合作企业;合作社组织; diversify:vt.使多样化,使变化;增加产品种类以扩大; livelihoods:n.赚钱謀生的手段;生计;(livelihood的复数)
And he's brought the internet and satellite technology to the forest -- both so that people themselves could monitor the deforestation , but also that he could speak from the forest to the rest of the world. 他还为森林买来互联网和卫星技术 -- 这两个技术使得人民自己 可以检测滥伐森林, 而且本齐代言森林 向全世界发言。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; deforestation:n.采伐森林;森林开伐;
If you were to meet Benki and ask him, "Why are you doing this? 你要是见过本齐, 问他:“你为什么做这个?
Why are you putting yourself at risk? 你为什么要冒险?
Why are you making yourself vulnerable to what is often a hostile world?" 在一个敌意的世界,你为什么要置于 易受攻击的地步?”
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
he would tell you, as he told me, "I asked myself," he said, "What did my grandparents and my great-grandparents do to protect the forest for me? 他会告诉你, 正如他告诉我的, 他说:“我告诉自己, 我的祖父母和我的曾祖父母 为保护森林而留给了我什么呢?
great-grandparents:n.曾祖父母;外曾祖父母(great-grandparent的复数形式);
And what am I doing?" 我有在做什么呢?”
So when I think of that, 我思考这个,
I wonder what our grandchildren and our great-grandchildren , when they ask themselves that question, 我好奇当我的外孙, 曾外孙, 当他们问自己这同样问题时,
great-grandchildren:n.曾孙女,曾孙;
I wonder how they will answer. 我好奇他们会怎样答复。
For me, the world is veering towards a future we don't much want when we really thing about it deep inside. 对我而言,世界正朝着 一个我们不十分理解的未来发展, 当我们内心深处真正关乎它时。
veering:adj.犹豫的; n.顺时针转向; v.转变方向;
It's a future we don't know the details of, but it's a future that has signs, just like Benki saw the signs around him. 我们不了解未来的具体情况, 但未来有迹象, 就像本齐在他周围看到的迹象。
We know we are running out of what we need. 我了解到我们正用尽我们所需的东西。
We're running out of fresh water. 我们用尽淡水。
We're running out of fossil fuels. 矿物燃料。
fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的;
We're running out of land. 土地。
We know climate change is going to affect all of us. 气候变化会影响我们所有人。
We don't know how, but we know it will. 我不知道是怎样影响,但我知道这是一定的。
And we know that there will be more of us than ever before -- five times as many people in 40 years than 60 years ago. 比起过去任何时候,会有很多人-- 比起60多年以前,在未来40年中,将会有5倍多的人 。
We are running out of what we need. 我们正在用尽我们所需的。
And we also know that the world has changed in other ways, that, since 1960, there are one-third as many new countries that exist as independent entities on the planet. 我们也了解到 世界正以其他的方式变化着, 自从1960年, 世界上,三分之一的许多新国家 成立独立国家。
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等); entities:n.实体;存在(entity的复数形式);字符实体;
Egos , systems of government -- figuring it out -- massive change. 自尊心,政府系统 - 盘算一下 - 巨大变化。
Egos:n.自我(ego的复数); massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
And in addition to that we know that five other really big countries are going to have a say in the future, a say we haven't even really started to hear yet -- 除此之外 我们知道另外5个大国 在未来将拥有发言权, 而我们甚至还没有真正开始听过它们说--
in addition to:除…之外;
China, India, 中国,印度,
Russia, South Africa and Benki's own Brazil, where Benki got his civil rights only in the 1988 constitution . 俄罗斯,南非 和本齐的祖国巴西, 在1988年宪法,本齐才享有 他的公民权。
civil rights:na.公民权; constitution:n.宪法;构成;体质;组成;
But you know all that. 但是大家要知道这些。
You know more than Benki knew when he left his forest and went 3,000 miles. 你了解得多于本齐所知道的,当他离开森林, 行进3千英里。
You also know that we can't just keep doing what we've always done because we'll get the results we've always gotten. 大家也知道 我们不要仅限于做我们一直做的事, 因为我们将得到 我们一直想要的结果。
And this reminds me of something I understand 这提醒我所理解的一些事,
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
Lord Salisbury said to Queen Victoria over a hundred years ago, when she was pressing him, "Please change." 百年前,当索尔兹伯里勋爵对维多利亚女王说, 当她要求他,“请改变。”
Lord:n.(英国)贵族,大人,大臣;v.使成贵族;作威作福;
He said, "Change? 他说,“改变?
Why change? 为什么?
Things are bad enough as they are." 事情本身就够糟的。”
We have to change. 我们必须改变。
It's imperative to me when I look around the world, that we need to change ourselves. 当我展望世界,这对我而言是种使命, 我们需要改变我们自身。
imperative:adj.重要紧急的; n.重要紧急的事;
We need new models of what it means to be a leader. 我们需要新模式而成为领导者。
We need new models of being a leader and a human in the world. 我们需要成为领导者和世界人类一员的 新模式。
I started life as a banker. 我作为一个银行家的生活开始。
Now I don't admit to that to anybody but my very close friends. 目前我仅对我最要好的朋友 承认我的北京。
But for the past eight years, 但在过去的8年,
I've done something completely different. 我做了一些及不寻常的事。
My work has taken me around the world, where I've had the real privilege of meeting people like Benki and many others who are making change happen in their communities -- people who see the world differently, who are asking different questions, who have different answers, who understand the filters that they wear when they go out into the world. 我的工作带我周游世界, 我有真正的机会 见到像本齐的人 和许多在他们的 社区做出改变的人们-- 他们以不同视角看待世界, 他们也会问不同的问题, 由此产生不同的答案, 他们了解他们用的过滤器, 当他们去外面的世界。
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) filters:n.过滤器; v.过滤; (filter的第三人称单数和复数)
This is Sanghamitra. 这是僧伽蜜多。
Sanghamitra comes from Bangalore. 她来自于班加罗尔。
I met Sanghamitra eight years ago when I was in Bangalore organizing a workshop with leaders of different NGO's working in some of the hardest aspects of society. 在八年前我在班加罗尔遇到僧伽蜜多 僧伽蜜多 组织与不同非政府组织的领导人开 关注一些社会最难的方面。
organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词) workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习; aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数);
Sanghamitra didn't start life as a leader of an NGO, she started her career as university professor, teaching English literature . 僧伽蜜多不是以 非政府组织的领导人起家的, 她的职业开始于大学教授, 传授英语文学。
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
But she realized that she was much too detached from the world doing that. 但她知道她要这样做会使她太脱离这世界。
detached:adj.独立的; v.拆卸; (detach的过去分词和过去式)
She loved it, but she was too detached. 她喜爱英语文学,但她太超脱了。
And so in 1993, a long time ago, she decided to start a new organization called Samraksha focused on one of the hardest areas, one of the hardest issues in India -- anywhere in the world at the time -- 于是在1993年, 很久以前, 她决定开始新的组织 叫萨姆拉卡莎Samraksha 专注最难领域之一, 在印度最头疼问题之一-- 当时在全球任何地方--
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
HIV/AIDS. 人类免疫缺陷病毒/艾滋病。
Since that time, Samraksha has grown from strength to strength and is now one of the leading health NGO's in India. 从那时起,萨姆拉卡莎逐步 壮大, 现在是印度健康非政府组织领导之一。
But if you just think about the state of the world and knowledge of HIV/AIDS in 1993 -- in India at that time it was skyrocketing and nobody understood why, and everyone was actually very, very afraid. 但想想看在1993年,全球国家 对人类免疫缺陷病毒/艾滋病的知识 -- 那时在印度艾滋病引起格外关注, 没人知道为什么, 每个人的确非常,非常害怕与此相关话题。
skyrocketing:n.价格飞涨;突涨,飞升;v.火箭式地上升;鲁莽行事(skyrocket的ing形式);
Today there are still three million 今天在印度还有三百万
HIV-positive people in India. 艾滋病毒抗体阳性者。
That's the second largest population in the world. 在世界上它是第二大人群。
When I asked Sanghamitra, "How did you get from English literature to HIV/AIDS?" 我问僧伽蜜多, “你怎么从英语文学 跨行到艾滋病毒?”
not an obvious path, she said to me, "It's all connected. 不寻常的路径, 她说: “所有这一切都联系着。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
Literature makes one sensitive , sensitive to people, to their dreams and to their ideas." 文学让人变敏感, 对人敏感, 他们的梦想和他们的想法敏感。”
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人;
Since that time, under her leadership, 从那时,在她领导下,
Samraksha has been a pioneer in all fields related to HIV/AIDS. 僧伽蜜多就成为 有关艾滋病毒领域的 先驱者。
They have respite homes, the first, the first care centers, the first counseling services -- and not just in urban 7 million population Bangalore, but in the hardest to reach villages in the state of Karnataka. 首先,他们有喘息家园, 第一个关怀中心, 第一个咨询服务-- 不仅仅服务于班加罗尔城市七百万人口, 还包括卡纳塔克邦 一些最难进入的乡村。
respite:n.缓解;暂缓;暂时的休息;缓期执行;vt.使缓解;使暂缓;使延期;缓期执行; counseling:n.咨询服务;v.建议;劝告;商讨;(counsel的现在分词形式) urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的;
Even that wasn't enough. 甚至这还远远不够。
She wanted to change policy at the government level. 她想改变政府层面的政策。
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
10 of their programs that she pioneered are now government policy and funded by the government. 她开创的10个计划 现被政府资助并成为政策。
funded:adj.提供资金的;v.提供资金;积存;提供资金偿付的本息;(fund的过去式);
They take care of 20,000-odd people today in over 1,000 villages around Karnataka. 今天在卡纳塔克邦有超过1000个乡村, 由他们照顾2万人。
She works with people like Murali Krishna. 她和像穆拉里·科瑞士纳一样的人一起工作。
Murali Krishna comes from one of those villages. 科瑞士纳也来自于那些乡村中的一个。
He lost his wife to AIDS a couple of years ago, and he's HIV-positive. 几年前,因艾滋病毒他失去了他的妻子, 他也是艾滋病毒阳性携带者。
But he saw the work, the care, the compassion that Sanghramitra and her team brought to the village, and he wanted to be part of it. 但他从僧伽蜜多和她团队带给乡村的工作,关怀, 和同情 中, 他想成为他们中一员。
compassion:n.同情;怜悯;
He's a Leaders' Quest fellow, and that helps him with his work. 他是一名领导者的探索研究员,在工作中帮助很大。
Quest:n.追求;寻找;vi.追求;寻找;vt.探索;
They've pioneered a different approach to villages. 他们已经开创了一个对乡村不同的方法。
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
Instead of handing out information in pamphlets , as is so often the case, they bring theater troupes , songs, music, dance. 与其通过手册传递信息, 就像往常方法, 他们带来剧团, 歌曲,音乐,舞蹈。
pamphlets:n.小册子;手册;(pamphlet的复数) troupes:n.剧团;一班;一团;vi.巡回演出;
And they sit around , and they talk about dreams. 他们就地而坐, 谈论梦想。
sit around:无所事事;
Sanghamitra told me just last week -- she had just come back from two weeks in the villages -- and she had a real breakthrough . 上周,僧伽蜜多刚告诉我-- 她刚从乡村回来2周-- 她有了实质性突破。
breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的;
They were sitting in a circle, talking about the dreams for the village. 当地人围坐成圈形,就乡村的梦想谈论。
And the young women in the village spoke up and said, "We've changed our dream. 乡村的年轻女性 发言说:“我们得改变我们的梦想。
Our dream is for our partners, our husbands, not to be given to us because of a horoscope , but to be given to us because they've been tested for HIV ." 我们的梦想 是基于我们的同伴,我们的丈夫, 因为星象,不是基于我们, 但因为他们被检测携带艾滋病毒, 我们梦想是基于我们自己的。”
horoscope:n.占星术;星象;十二宫图; HIV:n.艾滋病病毒;
If you are lucky enough to meet Sanghamitra and ask her why and how, how have you achieved so much? 如果你有幸见僧伽蜜多 问她为什么, 怎样取得如此大的成就?
She would look at you and very quietly, very softly say, "It just happened. 她会看着你 非常平静地,非常温柔地说, “它就这样发生了。
softly:adv.温柔地;柔和地;柔软地;静静地;
It's the spirit inside." 它是内心精神的体现。”
This is Dr. Fan Jianchuan. 这是樊建川博士。
Jianchuan comes from Sichuan Province in southwest China. 樊建川先生来自 中国西南的四川省。
He was born in 1957, and you can imagine what his childhood looked like and felt like and what his life has been like over the last 50 tumultuous years. 他出身于1957年, 大家可以想象一下他的童年 和感受一下 在过去的50年动荡中, 他所经历的一生。
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 tumultuous:adj.吵闹的;骚乱的;狂暴的;
He's been a soldier, a teacher, a politician , a vice-mayor and a business man. 他曾是一名军人,一位老师, 一位政治家,一个副市长 和一个商人。
politician:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;
But if you sat down and asked him, "Who are you really, and what do you do?" 但你坐下来问他,“你到底是谁, 你做了什么?”
He would tell you, "I'm a collector, and I curate a museum." 他会说,“我是个收藏家, 我创建了一个博物馆。”
curate:n.助理牧师;副牧师;
I was lucky; I heard about him for years, and I finally met him earlier this year at his museum in Chengdu. 我有幸听说过他好几年, 最终今年早期 在他的成都博物馆我见过他。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
He's been a collector all of his life, starting when he was four or five in the early 1960's. 他一生都在收集, 始于1960年代初,他仅有4到5岁。
Now just think of the early 1960's in China. 现在想想看中国的1960年代初。
Over a lifetime, through everything, through the Cultural Revolution and everything afterward , he's kept collecting, so that he now has over eight million pieces in his museums documenting contemporary Chinese history. 在他一生中,通过任何收集, 通过文化大革命和一切后来的收集, 他不断收集, 在他的博物馆,目前才会有超过八百万件 记录 当代中国历史的资料。
Cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的; Revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环; afterward:adv.以后,后来; contemporary:n.同时代的人;同时期的东西;adj.当代的;同时代的;属于同一时期的;
These are pieces that you won't find anywhere else in the world, in part because they document parts of history, 这些资料是你在哪儿也不会找到的, 部分是因为馆藏展示的历史记录部分
Chinese choose to forget. 是被中国人选择忘却的。
For example, he's got over one million pieces documenting the Sino-Japanese War, a war that's not talked about in China very much and whose heroes are not honored. 例如,他藏有一百万件 记录抗日战争, 在中国人们非常不愿意谈论的一场战争, 甚至抗日英雄都不被敬仰。
Why did he do all this? 那么他为什么做这些?
Because he thought a nation should never repeat the mistakes of the past. 因为他认为 一个国家不应该重复它过去的错误。
So from commissioning slightly larger than life bronze statues of the heroes of the Sino-Japanese War, including those Chinese who then fought with each other and left mainland China to go to Taiwan, to commemorating all the unknown, ordinary soldiers who survived by asking them to take prints of their hands, he is making sure -- one man is making sure -- that history is not forgotten 所以从委托 稍大于 抗日战争英雄的生活铜像, 包括那些 互相打内战的中国人, 自此离开中国大陆到台湾, 用来纪念所有未知的, 普通士兵,他们存活下来 通过他们章手印, 他确定-- 人们确信-- 那段历史是不会被忘却的。
commissioning:v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的现在分词) slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; larger than life:adj.(谚语)杰出的; bronze:n.青铜; adj.青铜色的; vt.镀青铜于; vi.变成青铜色,被晒黑; statues:n.[建]雕像(statue的复数);v.在…处装饰;用雕像装饰(statue的三单形式); commemorating:vt.庆祝,纪念;成为…的纪念;
But it's not just Chinese heroes he cares about. 樊建川先生不仅仅关注中国英雄。
This building contains the world's largest collection of documents and artifacts commemorating the U.S. role in fighting on the Chinese side in that long war -- the Flying Tigers. 这个博物馆包括世界上最大的文献及 文物收藏 有关在那场持久战役中, 和中国人民并肩作站 并加以纪念的美国战斗英雄 飞虎队。
artifacts:n.史前古器物;人工产品;
He has nine other buildings -- that are already open to the public -- filled to the rafters with artifacts documenting contemporary Chinese history. 樊建川建有其他9个博物馆-- 它们都已经对公众开放-- 装满了文物的椽子 记录当代中国历史。
rafters:n.椽子;v.给…装椽子;把(木材)作成椽子;(rafter的第三人称单数和复数)
Two of the most sensitive buildings include a lifetime of collection about the Cultural Revolution, a period that actually most Chinese would prefer to forget. 两个最敏感的博物馆 藏有 关于文化大革命的一生珍藏, 多数中国人更倾向忘却这段历史 时段。
prefer:v.更喜欢;宁愿;提出;提升;
But he doesn't want his nation ever to forget. 但樊建川先生不希望他的国家 忘却这历史教训。
These people inspire me, and they inspire me because they show us what is possible when you look at the world, change the way you look at your place in the world. 这些人激励我, 因为他们展现给我们 什么是可行的, 当你环顾世界, 在你所处的位置上来改变世界。
inspire:v.激发;鼓舞;启示;产生;使生灵感;
They looked outside, and then they changed what was on the inside. 他们放眼外部世界, 然后改变他们自己内心世界。
They didn't go to business school . 他们从没去过商业学校。
business school:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院;
They didn't read a manual , "How to be a Good Leader in 10 Easy Steps." 也没读过手册“怎样通过轻松10步骤而成为一个优秀领导者 。”
manual:n.说明书;指南;使用手册;adj.用手的;手工的;体力的;手动的;
But they have qualities we'd all recognize . 但是他们都兼有我们都认可的品质。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
They have drive, passion, commitment . 他们有动力,激情,责任。
commitment:n.承诺;投入;保证;许诺;
They've gone away from what they did before, and they've gone to something they didn't know. 与他们先前做的事,他们的选择都 截然不同, 他们做了些 自己都意料不到的事情。
They've tried to connect worlds they didn't know existed before. 他们努力和 以前不知晓的世界取得联系。
They've built bridges, and they've walked across them. 他们架构桥梁,穿行于此。
They have a sense of the great arc of time and their tiny place in it. 他们有种大脉络的时间感 和他们自身所处的微小空间感。
arc:n.弧;弧形;弓形;v.作弧形运动;
They know people have come before them and will follow them. 他们了解出现在他们面前的人们, 反而互相跟随。
And they know that they're part of a whole, that they depend on other people. 他们清楚他们是一个整体的一部分, 他们依赖于其他人。
It's not about them, they know that, but it has to start with them. 他们晓得这不仅关乎他们自己, 但这得归功于他们。
And they have humility . 他们兼有人性关怀。
humility:n.谦卑,谦逊;
It just happens. 这一切就这么发生了。
But we know it doesn't just happen, don't we? 但我们知道它不只是发生,对吗?
We know it takes a lot to make it happen, and we know the direction the world is going in. 我们了解需要很努力才会使其发生, 世界的轨迹在运转着。
So I think we need succession planning on a global basis. 所以在全球议程上,我们需要继任计划 。
succession planning:n.(公司或机构的)继任规划; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
We can't wait for the next generation, the new joiners , to come in and learn how to be the good leaders we need. 我们等不及下一代,新的活跃分子, 加入和学习怎样成为我们所需的优秀领导者。
joiners:n.接合者;工匠;
I think it has to start with us. 我想就从我们自己开始吧。
And we know, just like they knew, how hard it is. 而我们也知道,就像他们所知, 这有多难。
But the good news is that we don't have to figure it out as we go along; we have models, we have examples, like Benki and Sanghamitri and Jianchuan. 但好消息是我们边行,用不着非得弄清楚; 我们有模式,有例子, 比如本齐,僧伽蜜多和樊建川。
We can look at what they've done, if we look. 如果需要,我们可以看看他们做过的是。
We can learn from what they've learned. 我们温故而知新。
We can change the way we see ourselves in the world. 我们能改变我们自身所处的世界。
And if we're lucky, we can change the way our great-grandchildren will answer Benki's question. 如果我们有幸, 我们能改变这世界, 让我们曾孙 来回复本齐的问题。
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)