返回首页

FarishAhmadNoor_2019X-_为什么殖民主义(仍旧)在被浪漫化?_-

I promise you that I will not sing. I will spare you that, at least. 我保证我不会在台上唱歌, 至少在这一点上大家可以放心。
spare:v.节约,吝惜;饶恕;分出,分让;adj.多余的;瘦的;少量的;n.剩余;备用零件;
But I am a historian with a background in philosophy , and my main area of research is basically the history of Southeast Asia, with a focus on 19th-century colonial Southeast Asia. 但我是一位有哲学背景的 历史学家, 我的主要研究领域是东南亚历史, 侧重于 19 世纪的东南亚殖民史。
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; Southeast:adj.东南的;来自东南的;n.东南;东南地区;adv.来自东南; colonial:n.殖民地居民;adj.殖民地的,殖民的;
And over the last few years, what I've been doing is really tracing the history of certain ideas that shape our viewpoint , the way we in Asia, in Southeast Asia, look at ourselves and understand ourselves. 在过去的几年里, 我一直在追溯某些思想的历史, 这些想法塑造了我们的视角, 并影响了我们亚洲人、东南亚人 看待自己、理解自己的方式。
tracing:n.描图;v.查出;找到;追踪;追究;描绘;记述;(trace的现在分词) viewpoint:n.观点;角度;看法;
Now, there's one thing that I cannot explain as a historian, and this has been puzzling me for a long time, and this is how and why certain ideas, certain viewpoints do not seem to ever go away. 作为一名历史学家, 有一件事我一直无法解释, 并且这件事困扰了我很久: 为什么某些特定的想法和观点 似乎永远无法消失。
puzzling:adj.使为难的;费解的;v.迷惑;使困惑;(puzzle的现在分词) viewpoints:观点;
And I don't know why. 我不明白为什么。
And in particular , 我特别感兴趣的是,
in particular:尤其,特别;
I'm interested to understand why some people -- not all, by no means -- but some people in postcolonial Asia still hold on to a somewhat romanticized view of the colonial past, see it through kind of rose-tinted lenses 为什么某些人—— 不是所有人,无意冒犯—— 某些人身处后殖民时代的亚洲, 却仍旧对殖民历史持有 较为浪漫化的看法, 他们透过玫瑰色的眼镜,
by no means:决不; postcolonial:adj.殖民地时期之后的; hold on to:坚持;紧握;克制; somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; romanticized:vi.浪漫化;传奇化;vt.使浪漫化;使传奇化; rose-tinted:adj.玫瑰色的;希望的;乐观的; lenses:n.透镜;镜片;(眼球的)晶状体;(lens的复数)
as perhaps a time that was benevolent or nice or pleasant, even though historians know the realities of the violence and the oppression and the darker side of that entire colonial experience. 觉得那段历史或许 是仁慈、美好或愉快的, 即便历史学家深知 整段殖民历史的 暴力、压迫 与黑暗面的真面目。
benevolent:adj.仁慈的;慈善的;亲切的; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼;
So let's imagine that I build a time machine for myself. 假设我为自己造了一台时光机器。
time machine:n.时间机器;
(Makes beeping noises) (模仿蜂鸣声)
beeping:v.发出哔哔声;(使汽车喇叭等)发出嘟嘟声;(beep的现在分词)
I build a time machine, 我造了一台时光机,
I send myself back to the 1860s, a hundred years before I was born. 把自己送回到 19 世纪 60 年代, 那是我出生前的 100 年。
Oh dear, I've just dated myself. 糟糕,我刚刚暴露了年龄。
OK, I go back a hundred years before I was born. 好,让我们回到 我出生的 100 年前。
Now, if I were to find myself in the context of colonial Southeast Asia in the 19th century, 如果我发现我自己生活在 19 世纪殖民时代的东南亚,
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
I would not be a professor. 我绝对无法成为一名教授。
Historians know this. 历史学家很清楚这一点。
And yet, despite that, there's still some quarters that somehow want to hold on to this idea that that past was not as murky , that there was a romanticized side to it. 尽管如此, 仍然有一些人想要坚信 殖民的历史没有那么阴暗, 仍有浪漫的一面。
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; murky:adj.黑暗的;朦胧的;阴郁的;
Now, here is where I, as a historian, 作为一名历史学家,
I encounter the limits of history, because I can trace ideas. 我正是在这里遭遇了历史的瓶颈, 因为我可以追溯思想,
encounter:v.遭遇,邂逅;遇到;n.遭遇,偶然碰见; trace:追溯,追踪
I can find out the origins of certain clichés, certain stereotypes . 我可以找出某些陈词滥调、 某些刻板印象的起源,
origins:n.起源; (origin的复数) stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数)
I can tell you who came up with it, where and when and in which book. 我可以告诉你这是谁想出来的, 是何时何地在哪本书中提出的。
But there's one thing I cannot do: 但有一件事我做不到:
I cannot get into the internal , subjective mental universe of someone and change their mind. 我无法进入一个人内在的 主观精神世界 并改变他的想法。
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; subjective:adj.主观的;个人的;自觉的; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者;
And I think this is where and why, over the last few years, 这也是为什么在过去的几年里,
I'm increasingly drawn to things like psychology and cognitive behavioral therapy; because in these fields, scholars look at the persistence of ideas. 我越发被心理学 和认知行为疗法等所吸引; 因为在这些领域, 学者可以研究思想的顽固性。
increasingly:adv.越来越多地;渐增地; psychology:n.心理学;心理状态; cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; behavioral:adj.行为的; scholars:n.学者们(scholar的复数); persistence:n.持续;固执;存留;坚持不懈;毅力;
Why do some people have certain prejudices ? 为什么有些人会持有某些偏见、
prejudices:成见;偏见;歧视(prejudice的复数);
Why are there certain biases , certain phobias ? 成见,甚至某些恐惧症呢?
biases:n.偏差,偏见(bias的复数形式);v.偏见(bias的三单形式); phobias:n.[内科]恐怖症;憎恶(phobia的复数);
We live, unfortunately , sadly, in a world where, still, misogyny persists , racism persists , all kinds of phobias. 很不幸,也很可悲的是, 我们都生活在一个厌女症、 种族歧视与各种恐惧症 依旧存续的世界。
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; misogyny:n.厌恶女人;[医]厌女症; persists:vi.存留,坚持;持续,固执;vt.坚持说,反复说; racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见;
Islamophobia, for instance , is now a term. 比如伊斯兰恐惧症 现在甚至成为了一个新名词。
instance:n.实例;情况;建议;v.举...为例;
And why do these ideas persist? 为什么这些想法能持久存在呢?
Many scholars agree that it's partly because, when looking at the world, we fall back, we fall back, we fall back on a finite pool, a small pool of basic ideas that don't get challenged. 很多学者认为,部分原因是因为 当我们看这个世界时, 我们在朝一个有限的区域 不停地撤退、撤退、撤退, 这个区域中都是一些 不会被挑战的基本想法。
fall back on:转而依靠;求助于; finite:adj.有限的;限定的;n.有限之物;
Look at how we, particularly us in Southeast Asia, represent ourselves to ourselves and to the world. 来看看我们, 特别是在东南亚的人们, 是如何向我们自己和世界 展现自己的。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; represent:v.代表;表现;描绘;回忆;再赠送;
Look at how often, when we talk about ourselves, my viewpoint, my identity , our identity , invariably , we fall back, we fall back, we fall back, we fall back on the same set of ideas, all of which have histories of their own. 看看我们在讨论到自己, 我的观点、我的身份、我们的身份时, 我们往往都会倒退、倒退、倒退, 退回同一套想法上, 这些想法都有其自身的历史根源。
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式; invariably:adv.总是;不变地;一定地;
Very simple example: we live in Southeast Asia, which is very popular with tourists from all over the world. 非常简单的一个例子: 我们生活在东南亚, 一个全世界的游客 都心驰神往的地方。
And I don't think that's a bad thing, by the way . 顺便一提,我并不觉得这是一件坏事。
by the way:顺便说一下;
I think it's good that tourists come to Southeast Asia, because it's part and parcel of broadening your worldview and meeting cultures, etc, etc. 我认为让游客们 来到东南亚是一件好事, 因为这能够拓宽你的世界观、 促进不同文化的交流,等等。
parcel:n.包裹;小包;一块地;一片地;v.包;裹好;打包;adj.部分(时间)的;adv.局部地; broadening:n.扩展;[光]增宽;v.放宽;扩张(broaden的ing形式);adj.加宽的; worldview:n.世界观;
But look at how we represent ourselves through the tourist campaigns, the tourist ads that we produce. 可是看看我们在旅游宣传和广告里 是如何表现自己的。
There will be the obligatory coconut tree, banana tree, orangutan . 千篇一律的椰子树、香蕉树和猩猩。
obligatory:adj.义务的;必须的;义不容辞的; coconut:n.椰子;椰子肉; orangutan:n.[脊椎]猩猩(等于orangoutang);
(Laughter) (笑声)
And the orangutan doesn't even get paid. 猩猩甚至都没拿到片酬。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Look at how we represent ourselves. Look at how we represent nature. 看看我们是怎么表现自己、 怎么表现大自然的。
Look at how we represent the countryside. 看看我们是怎么表现乡村的。
Look at how we represent agricultural life. 看看我们是怎么表现农业生活的。
agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的;
Watch our sitcoms . 看看我们的情景喜剧,
sitcoms:情景喜剧(sitcom的名词复数);
Watch our dramas . Watch our movies. 看看我们的电视剧, 看看我们的电影。
dramas:pl.戏剧;
It's very common, particularly in Southeast Asia, when you watch these sitcoms, if there's someone from the countryside, invariably, they're ugly , they're funny, they're silly, they're without knowledge. 一个在东南亚尤其普遍的现象是, 在这些情景喜剧里面, 如果有人来自乡村, 那人无一例外地长得很丑, 很搞笑、很憨, 并且没有文化。
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
It's as if the countryside has nothing to offer. 这就好像乡村一无是处一样。
Our view of nature, despite all our talk, despite all our talk about Asian philosophy, Asian values, despite all our talk about how we have an organic relationship to nature, how do we actually treat nature in Southeast Asia today? 我们对于自然的观点, 尽管我们一直在谈论 亚洲人的哲学、亚洲人的价值观, 尽管我们一直在说, 我们与大自然保持着原生态关系, 但事实上,我们如今 是怎样对待东南亚的自然环境的?
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
We regard nature as something to be defeated and exploited . 我们把大自然视为 应当被打败与剥削的对象。
exploited:v.剥削;压榨;运用;利用;发挥(exploit的过去分词和过去式)
And that's the reality. 这就是现实。
So the way in which we live in our part of the world, postcolonial Southeast Asia, in so many ways, for me, bears residual traces to ideas, tropes , clichés, stereotypes that have a history. 所以在我们居住的地方, 在后殖民时代的东南亚, 我们的生活方式 对我来说,在很多方面 仍旧残留着某些 具有历史渊源的 想法、套路、陈词滥调和 刻板印象的痕迹。
residual:n.剩余;残渣;adj.剩余的;残留的; traces:v.跟踪;探索;n.痕迹;踪迹;(trace的复数和第三人单数) tropes:n.比喻;修辞;转义;(trope的复数)
This idea of the countryside as a place to be exploited, the idea of countryfolk as being without knowledge -- these are ideas that historians like me can go back, we can trace how these stereotypes emerged . 诸如“乡村是有待开发的”、 “乡下人是没有文化的”这些想法, 都是像我这样的历史学家可以回溯的, 我们可以追溯 这些刻板印象是如何出现的。
countryfolk:n.乡下人;同胞;乡村民歌; emerged:v.(从隐蔽处或暗处)出现;暴露;露出真相;显现;(emerge的过去分词和过去式)
And they emerged at a time when Southeast Asia was being governed according to the logic of colonial capitalism . 而在它们所出现的时间点, 东南亚 正处于殖民资本主义的统治之下。
according to:根据,据说; logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的; capitalism:n.资本主义;
And in so many ways, we've taken these ideas with us. 在很多方面, 我们都将这些思想传承了下来。
They're part of us now. 它们已成为了我们的一部分。
But we are not critical in interrogating ourselves and asking ourselves, how did I have this view of the world? 但我们并没有以批判性的眼光 去诘问我们自己, 我的世界观从何而来?
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; interrogating:v.讯问;审问;盘问;查询;(interrogate的现在分词)
How did I come to have this view of nature? 我的自然观从何而来?
How did I come to have this view of the countryside? 我对乡村的观念从何而来?
How do I have this idea of Asia as exotic ? 我什么我会觉得亚洲有异域风情?
exotic:adj.异国的;外来的;异国情调的;
And we, Southeast Asians in particular, love to self-exoticize ourselves. 而且我们,尤其是我们东南亚人, 很热衷于标榜自己的“异国情调”。
Asians:adj.亚洲的;亚洲人的;n.亚洲人;
We've turned Southeast Asian identity into a kind of cosplay where you can literally go to the supermarket, go to the mall and buy your do-it-yourself exotic Southeast Asian costume kit . 我们已经将东南亚人的身份 变成了一种角色扮演(cosplay), 你甚至可以在超市和商城里 买到可以自制东南亚 异域服饰的材料套装。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: do-it-yourself:adj.自己动手的;n.自己动手; costume:n.服装;装束;戏装,服装;v.给(某人)穿上特殊服装; kit:v.装备;n.成套工具;配套元件;成套设备;全套衣服及装备;
And we parade this identity, not asking ourselves how and when did this particular image of ourselves emerge. 而我们标榜这种身份, 却不去扪心自问 这种对自己的特定印象 是何时、怎样产生的。
parade:n.阅兵;游行;炫耀;检阅;v.游行;展览;游行庆祝;游行示威;
They all have a history, too. 它们也都有自己的历史背景。
And that's why, increasingly, as a historian, I find that as I encounter the limits of history, 这也就是为什么, 作为一个历史学家, 当我发现自己碰到历史的局限时,
I see that I can't work alone anymore. 我愈发地认为 自己不能再独自工作了。
I can't work alone anymore, because there's absolutely no point in me doing my archival work, there's no point in me seeking the roots of these ideas, tracing the genesis of ideas and then putting it in some journal to be read by maybe three other historians. 我不能再独自工作了, 因为对我来说,一个人继续 进行档案研究实在没有任何意义, 寻找这些想法的根源、 追溯它们的成因, 然后发表在某个期刊上, 供大概另外三个历史学家阅读——
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; archival:adj.档案的; seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) genesis:n.发生;起源; journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报;
There's absolutely no point. 这实在是没有任何意义。
The reason why I think this is important is because our region , Southeast Asia, will, I believe, in the years to come, go through enormous changes, unprecedented changes in our history, partly because of globalization , world politics , geopolitical contestations , the impact of technology , the Fourth Industrial Revolution ... 我之所以认为这很重要, 是因为我相信, 我们的东南亚地区 在未来的岁月之中, 将会经历翻天覆地、 前所未有的剧变, 部分原因是因为全球化、 世界政治、 地缘政治的争端、 科学技术的冲击、 第四次工业革命……
region:n.地区;范围;部位; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; unprecedented:adj.空前的;无前例的; globalization:n.全球化; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) geopolitical:adj.地理政治学的; contestations:n.争论;论点;争讼; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; Industrial Revolution:n.工业革命;
Our world as we know it is going to change. 我们所熟知的世界 正要发生变化。
But for us to adapt to this change, for us to be ready for that change, we need to think out of the box, and we can't fall back, we can't fall back, we can't fall back on the same set of clichéd, tired, staid old stereotypes. 但对我们来说, 想要适应这种变化, 并为这种变化做好准备, 我们就需要打破陈规, 不能再后退、再倒退, 再退回过去那套陈腐、 乏味、守旧的刻板印象中去。
adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应; think out:解决;仔细考虑;发现; staid:adj.固定的;沉着的;沉静的;古板的,保守的;
We need to think out, and that's why historians, we can't work alone now. 我们需要不落窠臼地思考, 这也是为什么我们历史学家 现在不能再独自工作了。
I, I need to engage with people in psychology, people in behavioral therapy . 我需要与心理学家 和行为疗法的专家合作。
engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定; therapy:n.治疗,疗法;
I need to engage with sociologists , anthropologists , political economists. 我需要与社会学家、 人类学家、政治经济学家合作。
sociologists:n.社会学家; anthropologists:[人类]人类学家;
I need above all to engage with people in the arts and the media , because it's there, in that forum , outside the confines of the university, that these debates really need to take place . 最重要的是,我需要与艺术家 还有媒体合作, 因为正是在这个 跳出大学局限的论坛, 才能真正进行这些争论。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; forum:n.论坛,讨论会;法庭;公开讨论的广场; confines:n.范围;界限;疆界(confine的复数);v.限制;禁闭(confine的三单形式); debates:n.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的复数);v.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的三单形式); take place:发生;举行;
And they need to take place now, because we need to understand that the way things are today are not determined by some fixed, iron historical railway track , but rather there are many other histories, many other ideas that were forgotten, marginalized , erased along the line. 我们现在就应该进行这些辩论, 因为我们需要明白, 当今世界的现状 并不是由某些固定的历史轨迹 而决定的, 而是由许多其他历史、 许多被我们遗忘的、边缘化的、 一路抹除的想法而决定的。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; marginalized:使边缘化;忽略;排斥(marginalize的过去式和过去分词); erased:v.清除;消除;消灭;擦掉,抹掉(erase的过去分词和过去式)
Historians like me, our job is to uncover all this, discover all this, but we need to engage this, we need to engage with society as a whole . 像我一样的历史学家的职责 就是挖掘这一切、发现这一切, 但我们还需要传达这一切, 我们需要参与到整个社会当中。
uncover:v.揭开盖子;发现;揭露;揭发; as a whole:总的来说;
So to go back to that time machine example I gave earlier. 那么回到我先前举的 时间机器的例子。
Let's say this is a 19th-century colonial subject then, and a person's wondering, "Will empire ever come to an end ? 假设这是一个 19 世纪的殖民地, 有一个人在想, “ 帝国统治到底会不会结束?
come to an end:v.结束;
Will there be an end to all this? 这一切会有结束的一天吗?
Will we one day be free?" 我们有朝一日能获得自由吗?”
So the person invents a time machine -- 于是这个人发明了一台时光机——
(Makes beeping noises) (蜂鸣声)
goes into the future and arrives here in postcolonial Southeast Asia today. 前往了未来, 并且抵达了今天, 后殖民时代的东南亚。
And the person looks around, and the person will see, well yes, indeed, the imperial flags are gone, the imperial gunboats are gone, the colonial armies are gone. 这个人环顾四周 就会看到, 确实, 帝国的旗子不见了, 他们的巡逻舰不见了, 殖民者的军队也不见了。
imperial:adj.帝国的;皇帝的;至高无上的;威严的;n.纸张尺寸;特等品; gunboats:n.炮艇;小炮舰;
There are new flags, new nation-states . 他看到了新的国旗、新的国家,
nation-states:n.民族国家;单一民族国家(nation-state的复数形式);
There is independence after all. 他们最终还是迎来了独立。
independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
But has there been? 但这是真的独立吗?
The person then watches the tourist ads and sees again the banana tree, the coconut tree and the orangutan. 然后这个人看到了旅游广告, 再次看见了香蕉树、椰子树和猩猩。
The person watches on TV and watches how images of an exotic Southeast Asia are being reproduced again and again by Southeast Asians. 这个人看电视, 看到了东南亚人如何不厌其烦地 不断再现东南亚异域风情的景象。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) reproduced:v.重现(reproduce的过去分词);再生产;生育;adj.再生的;重制的; again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
And the person might then come to the conclusion that, well, notwithstanding the fact that colonialism is over, we are still in so, so many ways living in the long shadow of the 19th century. 这个人可能会得出这样的结论: 虽说从事实上来看, 殖民时代已经结束, 但我们在很多、很多方面 仍旧生活在 19 世纪 漫长的阴影之中。
conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论; notwithstanding:adv.尽管,仍然;prep.尽管,虽然;conj.虽然; colonialism:n.殖民主义;殖民政策;
And this, I think, has become my personal mission . 我认为这已经成为了 我个人的使命。
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
The reason why I think history is so important and the reason why I think it's so important for history to go beyond history, because need to reignite this debate about who and what we are, all of us. 我之所以认为历史如此重要、 非常有必要 让历史超越历史, 是因为需要重新点燃 我们是谁、我们是什么的讨论, 所有人都需要。
reignite:vt.再次点燃;重新激起…;再点火;
We talk about, "No, I have my viewpoint, you have your viewpoint." 我们说着,“不,我有我自己的观点, 你也有你自己的观点。”
Well, that's partly true. 这话也对,也不对。
Our viewpoints are never entirely our own individually . 我们的观点永远不会是 完全只属于我们个人的。
individually:adv.个别地,单独地;
We're all social beings. We're historical beings. 我们都是社会的存在, 是历史的存在。
You, me, all of us, we carry history in us. 你、我、所有人, 我们身上都承载着历史。
It's in the language we use. It's in the fiction we write. 历史流淌在我们使用的语言里、 我们撰写的小说里、
It's in the movies we choose to watch. 我们选择观赏的电影里。
It's in the images that we conjure when we think of who and what we are. 当我们思考自己是谁、是什么时, 历史也存在于脑海浮现的画面之中。
conjure:v.变魔术;变戏法;使…变戏法般地出现(或消失);
We are historical beings. 我们是历史的存在。
We carry history with us, and history carries us along. 我们身上承载着历史, 历史也承载着我们。
But while we are determined by history, it is my personal belief that we need not be trapped by history, and we need not be the victims of history. 虽说我们是被历史所决定的, 但我个人相信, 我们不必被历史所困, 也不必成为历史的牺牲品。
trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式)
Thank you. 谢谢大家。
(Applause) (掌声)