|
|
FahadAlAttiya_2012S-_一个没有水的国家_
|
Salaam alaikum. |
|
Salaam:n.问安;额手礼;vt.向…行额手礼;向…问候;vi.行额手礼;问候;
|
Welcome to Doha. |
歡迎來到杜哈。 |
I am in charge of making this country's food secure. |
我負責保障本國的糧食供應。 |
in charge of:负责;主管;
|
That is my job for the next two years, to design an entire master plan , and then for the next 10 years to implement it -- of course, with so many other people. |
在未來兩年,我的工作是 設計一個總體計畫 並於十年內執行本計劃- 當然,這需要眾人攜手合作。 |
master plan:n.总体规划;总计划; implement:v.实施;执行;贯彻;使生效;n.工具;
|
But first, I need to talk to you about a story, which is my story, about the story of this country that you're all here in today. |
首先我想告訴大家一個故事,這是我的故事, 有關你們此時所在的這個國家。 |
And of course, most of you have had three meals today, and probably will continue to have after this event. |
想必,大多數聽眾今天都已用過三餐。 或許演講結束後還會繼續。 |
So going in, what was Qatar in the 1940s? |
那麼想一下,1940年代時,卡達是什麼情形? |
We were about 11,000 people living here. |
當時本國大約有一萬一千名居民。 |
There was no water. There was no energy, no oil, no cars, none of that. |
此處沒有水源、沒有能源、沒有石油、沒有汽車,什麽都沒有 |
Most of the people who lived here either lived in coastal villages, fishing, or were nomads who roamed around with the environment trying to find water. |
大多數居住於此的人 不是住在沿海村莊,以捕魚維生, 就是過著遊牧生活,四處尋找水源。 |
coastal:adj.沿海的;海岸的; nomads:n.游牧民,牧游者(nomad的复数形式);流浪者; roamed:v.徜徉;闲逛;漫步;(缓慢地)扫遍,摸遍;(roam的过去分词和过去式)
|
None of the glamour that you see today existed. |
今日眾位所見的繁華在昨日並不存在。 |
glamour:n.魅力,魔力;迷人的美;vt.迷惑,迷住;
|
No cities like you see today in Doha or Dubai or Abu Dhabi or Kuwait or Riyadh . |
亦無今日杜哈、杜拜、阿布達比、科威特或利雅德的繁華 |
Dubai:n.迪拜(阿拉伯联合酋长国的酋长国之一); Riyadh:n.利雅得(阿拉伯半岛中部的城市);
|
It wasn't that they couldn't develop cities. |
這並非由於人們無能開發都市, |
Resources weren't there to develop them. |
而是由於資源極度缺乏,無法開發。 |
Resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
And you can see that life expectancy was also short. |
你們可以發現,那時的人壽命十分短暫。 |
life expectancy:预期寿命;
|
Most people died around the age of 50. |
大多數人50歲左右就去世了。 |
So let's move to chapter two: the oil era . |
接著,我們進入第二章:石油時代。 |
era:n.新时期;纪元;年代;新时代;
|
1939, that's when they discovered oil. |
1939年,人們發現了石油。 |
But unfortunately , it wasn't really fully exploited commercially until after the Second World War. |
但不幸的是,大規模商業性質的石油開採 到了二次世界大戰結束後才開始。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地; exploited:v.剥削;压榨;运用;利用;发挥(exploit的过去分词和过去式) commercially:adv.商业上;通商上;
|
What did it do? |
石油造成什麼影響? |
It changed the face of this country, as you can see today and witness . |
石油改變了本國的面貌,大家今日有目共睹。 |
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证;
|
It also made all those people who roamed around the desert -- looking for water, looking for food, trying to take care of their livestock -- urbanize . |
石油也使得那些在沙漠中四處遷徙、 尋找水源和食物、費心照料牲口的牧民 走向都市化。 |
livestock:n.家畜;牲畜; urbanize:vt.使都市化;使文雅;
|
You might find this strange, but in my family we have different accents . |
你們或許感到奇怪, 但我的家族成員都擁有不同口音。 |
accents:n.口音;土音;强调;重音;v.着重;强调;突出;(accent的第三人称单数和复数)
|
My mother has an accent that is so different to my father, and we're all a population of about 300,000 people in the same country. |
我母親與父親的口音截然不同。 而我們都是土生土長的30萬卡達居民之一。 |
There are about five or six accents in this country as I speak. |
我說話時就用到大約五、六種口音。 |
Someone says, "How so? How could this happen?" |
有人質疑「為何如此?這是怎麼回事?」 |
Because we lived scattered . |
這是因為以往我們散居各處。 |
scattered:adj.零散的; v.撒; (scatter的过去分词和过去式)
|
We couldn't live in a concentrated way simply because there was no resources. |
僅僅由於資源缺乏,因此我們無法群居生活。 |
concentrated:adj.决心要做的; v.集中(注意力); (concentrate的过去式和过去分词)
|
And when the resources came, be it oil, we started building these fancy technologies and bringing people together because we needed the concentration . |
當資源-例如石油-出現後 我們開始發展這些先進技術 將人們聚集起來因為我們需要群眾的力量。 |
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数); concentration:n.浓度;含量;集中;专心;
|
People started to get to know each other. |
人們開始彼此認識。 |
And we realized that there are some differences in accents. |
我們才發現彼此擁有不同口音。 |
So that is the chapter two: the oil era. |
這就是第二章:石油時代。 |
Let's look at today. |
我們談談如今的情況。 |
This is probably the skyline that most of you know about Doha. |
這或許是大多數人所知的杜哈天際線 |
skyline:n.地平线;空中轮廓线;架空索;vt.天空映衬出…的轮廓;
|
So what's the population today? |
如今的人口是多少? |
It's 1.7 million people. |
大約170萬 |
That is in less than 60 years. |
這是在不到60年間所取得的成果。 |
The average growth of our economy is about 15 percent for the past five years. |
過去5年,本國經濟平均增長率大約為15%。 |
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
|
Lifespan has increased to 78. |
平均壽命增加到78歲。 |
Lifespan:n.寿命;预期生命期限;预期使用期限;
|
Water consumption has increased to 430 liters . |
平均用水量上升到430公升。 |
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨; liters:n.(计量)公升(容量单位)(liter的复数)
|
And this is amongst the highest worldwide . |
可說是全球最高的用水量。 |
amongst:prep.在…之中;在…当中(等于among); worldwide:adj.全世界的;adv.在世界各地;
|
From having no water whatsoever to consuming water to the highest degree, higher than any other nation. |
從缺乏水源 轉變成高度用水量,勝於世上任何國家。 |
whatsoever:pron.无论什么; consuming:adj.消费的;强烈的;v.消耗(consume的ing形式);
|
I don't know if this was a reaction to lack of water. |
我不知道這是否是缺水造成的反效果。 |
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用;
|
But what is interesting about the story that I've just said? |
但這個故事中令人感興趣之處為何? |
The interesting part is that we continue to grow 15 percent every year for the past five years without water. |
令人感興趣的是過去5年中,每年經濟增長率 在缺乏水源的情況下,依然維持15%。 |
Now that is historic . It's never happened before in history. |
這具有歷史意義。可說是史無前例的。 |
historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的;
|
Cities were totally wiped out because of the lack of water. |
過去,城市由於缺乏水源而走向衰敗。 |
This is history being made in this region . |
這是本國于此地區所創造的歷史。 |
region:n.地区;范围;部位;
|
Not only cities that we're building, but cities with dreams and people who are wishing to be scientists, doctors. |
我們建造的不僅僅是一座座的城市, 而是一座座充滿夢想的城市,在這裡人們期待成為科學家和醫生、 |
Build a nice home, bring the architect , design my house. |
建造美麗的家園、請建築師設計自己房子。 |
architect:n.建筑师;设计师;创造者;
|
These people are adamant that this is a livable space when it wasn't. |
這些人的毅力使這片不宜居住的土地改頭換面。 |
adamant:adj.固执的,坚强的;坚定不移的;坚硬无比的;n.坚硬的东西;坚石; livable:adj.适于居住的;生活过得有价值的;
|
But of course, with the use of technology . |
當然,這必須藉助科技的力量。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
So Brazil has 1,782 millimeters per year of precipitation of rain. |
巴西擁有每年1782毫米的降雨量。 |
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家); millimeters:n.毫米;(millimeter的复数) precipitation:n.[化学]沉淀,[化学]沉淀物;冰雹;坠落;鲁莽;
|
Qatar has 74, and we have that growth rate. |
而卡達僅有74毫米,但我們達到這一經濟增長率。 |
The question is how. |
問題在於如何做到這一點。 |
How could we survive that? |
我們如何在這種情況下生存? |
We have no water whatsoever. |
我們依然缺乏水源。 |
Simply because of this gigantic , mammoth machine called desalination . |
僅僅由於這座龐大的名為海水淡化裝置的機器。 |
gigantic:adj.巨大的,庞大的; mammoth:n.长毛象;猛犸象;庞然大物;adj.巨大的,庞大的;猛犸似的; desalination:n.脱盐作用;减少盐分;
|
Energy is the key factor here. It changed everything. |
能源是其中的關鍵因素,它改變了一切。 |
factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入;
|
It is that thing that we pump out of the ground, we burn tons of, probably most of you used it coming to Doha. |
正是我們從地底抽出、大量使用的石油 或許大部分聽眾正是藉其前來杜哈。 |
pump:n.抽水机;泵;打气筒;v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;
|
So that is our lake, if you can see it. |
因此這就相當於我們的湖泊,如果你能想像。 |
That is our river. |
相當於我們的河流。 |
That is how you all happen to use and enjoy water. |
這正是大家有水可用的原因。 |
This is the best technology that this region could ever have: desalination. |
這是本國有史以來最偉大的科技:海水淡化裝置 |
So what are the risks? |
那麼,其中有何風險? |
Do you worry much? |
你會不會很擔心? |
I would say, perhaps if you look at the global facts, you will realize, of course I have to worry. |
我的看法是,如果觀察全球情況, 你們將意識到我不得不憂心 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
|
There is growing demand, growing population. |
人口與各項需求與日俱增 |
We've turned seven billion only a few months ago. |
僅在數月前,全球人口達到了70億。 |
And so that number also demands food. |
隨之而來的是對糧食的需求。 |
And there's predictions that we'll be nine billion by 2050. |
根據預測,到了2050年,全球人口將達90億。 |
predictions:n.预测,预言(prediction复数形式);
|
So a country that has no water has to worry about what happens beyond its borders. |
因此一個缺乏水源的國家 不得不擔憂國境以外的情況。 |
There's also changing diets. |
飲食結構亦發生變化。 |
By elevating to a higher socio-economic level, they also change their diet. |
隨著社會經濟水平的逐漸提高, 人們的飲食習慣亦發生改變。 |
elevating:adj.引人向上的;n.升降机构;v.使升高(elevate的现在分词形式);提起; socio-economic:adj.社会经济的;
|
They start eating more meat and so on and so forth. |
例如說,人們開始消耗更多肉類等等。 |
On the other hand , there is declining yields because of climate change and because of other factors . |
但另一方面,因為氣候變化和其它因素, 糧食產量逐漸減少。 |
On the other hand:另一方面; declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词) yields:n.生产量,投资效益(yield的复数形式); v.[经]生产; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
|
And so someone has to really realize when the crisis is going to happen. |
因此人們必須確實意識到即將發生的危機。 |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
This is the situation in Qatar, for those who don't know. |
有些人可能不知情,可是卡達的情況是 |
We only have two days of water reserve . |
我們僅擁有兩天的淡水儲備量, |
reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订;
|
We import 90 percent of our food, and we only cultivate less than one percent of our land. |
國內 90% 的糧食都是仰賴進口, 全國的耕地面積不到國土的 1%。 |
cultivate:vt.培养;陶冶;耕作;
|
The limited number of farmers that we have have been pushed out of their farming practices as a result of open market policy and bringing the big competitions , etc., etc. |
為數不多的農民 已由於市場開放政策及引進的外來競爭等因素 被擠出農業行業。 |
limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式) as a result:结果; open market:n.公开市场;自由市场; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; competitions:n.比赛,[生态]竞争(competition的复数形式);
|
So we also face risks. |
因此我們亦面臨某些風險。 |
These risks directly affect the sustainability of this nation and its continuity . |
這些風險直接影響國家的永續發展。 |
directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; continuity:n.连续性;一连串;分镜头剧本;
|
The question is, is there a solution ? |
問題是,是否存在解決這些風險的方案? |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答;
|
Is there a sustainable solution? |
是否存在一個永續的解決方案? |
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
|
Indeed there is. |
這確實存在。 |
This slide sums up thousands of pages of technical documents that we've been working on over the past two years. |
這張投影片總結了數千頁科技文獻, 這是我們過去兩年的研究成果。 |
sums:n.算术题;总数;全部;v.归纳;总计;(sum的第三人称单数和复数) technical:adj.工艺的,科技的;技术上的;专门的;
|
Let's start with the water. |
我們從水源談起。 |
So we know very well -- I showed you earlier -- that we need this energy. |
現在大家十分清楚,如之前所言,我們需要能源。 |
So if we're going to need energy, what sort of energy? |
如果我們需要能源,該使用何種能源? |
A depletable energy? Fossil fuel ? |
耗竭性能源?化石燃料? |
Fossil fuel:n.化石燃料(如煤或石油);
|
Or should we use something else? |
或者我們該採取其他選擇? |
Do we have the comparative advantage to use another sort of energy? |
我們使用另一類能源的話,能否取得相對優勢? |
comparative:adj.比较的;相当的;n.比较级;对手; advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
|
I guess most of you by now realize that we do: 300 days of sun. |
我想大多數聽眾已意識到,我們的確具有相對優勢:每年300天的日照 |
And so we will use that renewable energy to produce the water that we need. |
因此我們將使用這種可再生能源,製造我們極需的淡水。 |
renewable:adj.可再生的;可更新的;可继续的;n.再生性能源;
|
And we will probably put 1,800 megawatts of solar systems to produce 3.5 million cubic meters of water. |
我們會使用1800兆瓦的太陽能系統 生產350萬立方公尺淡水。 |
megawatts:n.百万瓦特(megawatt的复数); cubic:adj.立方体的,立方的;
|
And that is a lot of water. |
水產量十分龐大。 |
That water will go then to the farmers, and the farmers will be able to water their plants, and they will be able then to supply society with food. |
這些水將供給農民, 那麼農民就能用水灌溉作物, 也可為社會提供糧食。 |
But in order to sustain the horizontal line -- because these are the projects, these are the systems that we will deliver -- we need to also develop the vertical line: |
但為了支撐這一橫軸線的計畫— 因為這是我們預定設置的項目和系統- 縱軸線上,我們也需要發展 |
horizontal:n.水平线;水平面;横线;水平位置;adj.水平的;与地面平行的;横的; vertical:n.垂直线;垂直位置;adj.竖的;垂直的;直立的;纵向的;
|
system sustenance , high-level education, research and development , industries, technologies, to produce these technologies for application , and finally markets. |
支撐系統:高等教育、研究開發、 工業、科技等,用以發展應用技術,最後是市場行銷。 |
sustenance:n.食物;生计;支持; high-level:adj.高级的;高阶层的;在高空的; research and development:n.研究和开发; application:n.应用;申请;应用程序;敷用; finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
But what gels all of it, what enables it, is legislation , policies , regulations . |
但能使之持之以恆,須建立法律、政策和規章。 |
gels:n.凝胶剂;定型发胶(gel的复数);v.形成胶体(gel的第三人称单数); enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) legislation:n.立法;法律; policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数) regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数)
|
Without it we can't do anything. |
若沒有這些,一切都是空談。 |
So that's what we are planning to do. |
這就是我們的計畫。 |
Within two years we should hopefully be done with this plan and taking it to implementation . |
我們希望於兩年內完成這一計畫, 實施這一計劃。 |
implementation:n.[计]实现;履行;安装启用;
|
Our objective is to be a millennium city, just like many millennium cities around: |
我們的目標是成為屹立千年的城市,如同周遭眾多歷史悠久的城市: |
objective:n.目标; adj.客观的; millennium:n.千年期,千禧年;一千年,千年纪念;太平盛世,黄金时代;
|
Istanbul, Rome, London, Paris, Damascus, Cairo . |
伊斯坦堡、羅馬、倫敦、巴黎、大馬士革、開羅。 |
Cairo:开罗(埃及首都)
|
We are only 60 years old, but we want to live forever as a city, to live in peace. |
我國僅擁有60年歷史但我們希望成為屹立不倒的城市, 生活在和平世界。 |
Thank you very much. |
十分感謝。 |
(Applause) |
(掌聲) |