返回首页

EveEnsler_2009I-_拥抱你的内心少女_

Namaste . Good morning. 早上好!
Namaste:n.(印度的)合十礼;
I'm very happy to be here in India. 很高兴今天来到印度。
And I've been thinking a lot about what I have learned over these last particularly 11 years with V-Day and "The Vagina Monologues ," 过去的十一年,我带着《阴道独白》和V-Day运动, 走遍了全球, 我最近也在认真的反思
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; Vagina:n.[解剖]阴道;叶鞘;鞘; Monologues:独白;
traveling the world, essentially meeting with women and girls across the planet to stop violence against women. 这段经历的意义 我遇到了来自全球各地的妇女和女孩 她们都在进行着一场反对妇女暴力的抗争
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
What I want to talk about today is is this particular cell, or grouping of cells, that is in each and every one of us. 今天我要讲的, 就是这种特别的细胞 或者说是一群细胞,我们每个人身上都有这个细胞
And I want to call it the girl cell. 我把它命名为“少女细胞”
And it's in men as well as in women. 它存在于女人身上,也存在于男人身上
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
I want you to imagine that this particular grouping of cells is central to the evolution of our species and the continuation of the human race . 我想大家可以想象一下这一群的细胞 对于我们这一个物种的进化以及延续 是起着核心意义的
evolution:n.演变;进化;发展;渐进; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; continuation:n.继续;续集;延长;附加部分;扩建物; human race:n.人类;
And I want you imagine that at some point in history a group of powerful people invested in owning and controlling the world understood that the suppression of this particular cell, the oppression of these cells, the reinterpretation of these cells, the undermining of these cells, 设想一下,在历史上的某一个时刻 那些通过投资想拥有和掌控世界的人 他们觉得到对于女孩细胞的压制 以及压迫 对这类细胞的重新的阐释 以及残害
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) suppression:n.抑制;镇压;[植]压抑; oppression:n.压抑;镇压;压迫手段;沉闷;苦恼; reinterpretation:n.重新解释; undermining:v.逐渐削弱;使逐步减少效力;从根基处破坏;(undermine的现在分词)
getting us to believe in the weakness of these cells and the crushing , eradicating , destroying, reducing these cells, basically began the process of killing off the girl cell, which was, by the way , patriarchy . 会使我们相信这群细胞是没有力量的 对这些细胞的压制、消灭以及摧残 和消除 实际上就是在消灭女孩细胞 也恰恰是父权社会之特征
crushing:adj.惨重的,毁坏性的;v.压碎;压坏;压伤;挤压变形;(crush的现在分词) eradicating:根除; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; by the way:顺便说一下; patriarchy:n.父权制;家长统治;父系社会;
I want you to imagine that the girl is a chip in the huge macrocosm of collective consciousness . 我希望大家可以把女孩想象成一个芯片 她是我们庞大的集体意识中的一个芯片
chip:v.削,凿;削成碎片;剥落;碎裂;n.[电子]芯片;筹码;碎片;(食物的)小片;薄片; collective:adj.集体的;共同的;集合的;集体主义的;n.集团;集合体;集合名词; consciousness:n.意识;知觉;觉悟;感觉;
And it is essential to balance, to wisdom , and to actually the future of all of us. 她对于保持平衡、延续智慧 以及对于我们所有人的未来都非常重要
wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问;
And then I want you to imagine that this girl cell is compassion , and it's empathy , and it's passion itself, and it's vulnerability , and it's openness and it's intensity and it's association , and it's relationship, and it is intuitive . 此外,我还希望大家可以想象一下的女孩细胞 它充满了怜悯 同情,激情, 它脆弱 也开放而强烈 它的连结与关系 和它的直觉性
compassion:n.同情;怜悯; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; vulnerability:n.易损性;弱点; openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真; intensity:n.强度;强烈;[电子]亮度;紧张; association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往; intuitive:adj.直觉的;凭直觉获知的;
And then let's think how compassion informs wisdom, and that vulnerability is our greatest strength, and that emotions have inherent logic , which lead to radical , appropriate , saving action. 让我们再设想一下,同情是如何启迪了智慧 脆弱恰恰可以成为我们最伟大的力量? 情感也有内在的逻辑 它会带来激进的、恰当的,同时是拯救性的行动
informs:v.通知:通告:了解:熟悉(inform的第三人称单数)) emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) inherent:adj.固有的;内在的;与生俱来的,遗传的; logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出;
And then let's remember that we've been taught the exact opposite by the powers that be, that compassion clouds your thinking, that it gets in the way, that vulnerability is weakness, that emotions are not to be trusted, and you're not supposed to take things personally , which is one of my favorites. 此外,让我们不要忘记 我们一直以来被灌输的都恰恰是相反的论调 他们说,同情心会迷惑你的思考 阻碍你的思考 脆弱即劣势 情感不可信赖 对于万事万物,你都不应当凭个人情感去处理 这个恰恰是我最喜欢的一句话
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
I think the whole world has essentially been brought up not to be a girl. 我认为,整个世界都 是在一种“你不应当成为女孩”的教条下成长起来的
How do we bring up boys? What does it mean to be a boy? 我们是怎么把男孩抚养大的?作为男孩以为着什么?
To be a boy really means not to be a girl. 它只意味着 不要成为一名女孩。
To be a man means not to be a girl. 成为男人就是不应当像女孩。
To be a woman means not to be a girl. 成为女人也意味着不应成为女孩。
To be strong means not to be a girl. 坚强也意味着不是女孩。
To be a leader means not to be a girl. 成为领导也意味着不可成为女孩。
I actually think that being a girl is so powerful that we've had to train everyone not to be that. 我认为, 成为女孩是非常有力量的 我们还需要训练人们不要成为那样呢
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I'd also like to say that the irony of course, is that denying girl, suppressing girl, suppressing emotion, refusing feeling has lead thus here. 我想说的是,讽刺在于, 我们否认女孩, 压制女孩,压制情感, 这一切把我们带到了这里。
irony:n.讽刺;反语;具有讽刺意味的事;adj.铁的;似铁的; denying:v.否认;否定;拒绝承认;拒绝给予;(deny的现在分词) suppressing:adj.制止的;v.镇压;禁止(suppress的现在分词);
Where we have now come to live in a world where the most extreme forms of violence the most horrific poverty , genocide , mass rapes , the destruction of the Earth, is completely out of control. 而我们现今所处的世界, 又恰恰是充满了极端形式的暴力 我们见证着史上最严重的贫穷, 种族屠杀、大规模的强奸, 地球破坏,这些都完全脱离了我们的控制
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; horrific:adj.可怕的;令人毛骨悚然的; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣; genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; rapes:v.强奸;强暴(rape的第三人称单数) destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
And because we have suppressed our girl cells, and suppressed our girl-ship, we do not feel what is going on. 因为我们压制了我们的女孩细胞 也压制了我们的女孩特质 我们根本就体会不到这正在发生的一切
suppressed:adj.抑制的,发育不全的;v.镇压,禁止;(suppress的过去时和过去分词)
So, we are not being charged with the adequate response to what is happening. 所以,也没有人要我们对 正在发生的这一切负责
adequate:adj.充足的;适当的;胜任的; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
I want to talk a little bit about the Democratic Republic of Congo. 我今天就希望讲讲这一点 首先是民主刚果共和国
Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的;
For me, it was the turning point of my life. 对我来说,那是一个人生的转折点
turning point:转折点;
I have spent a lot of time there in the last three years. 过去三年,我在那里度过了相当长的一段时间
I feel up to that point I had seen a lot in the world, a lot of violence. 在那以前,我觉得自己领略过人间万象 各种的暴力
feel up to:觉得可以对付,感到能胜任;
I essentially lived in the rape mines of the world for the last 12 years. 事实上,过去12年里我生活在世界许多强奸重灾区中
But the democratic republic of Congo really was the turning point in my soul. 但是,民主刚果 确实成为了我心灵的转折点
I went and I spent time in a place called Bukavu in a hospital called the Panzi Hospital, with a doctor who was a close to a saint as any person I've ever met. 我那时候去的是一个叫 布卡武的地方 我就在当地的潘伊医院 我遇到了一个医生,他是我见过的最接近圣人的一位
saint:n.圣人;圣徒;道德崇高的人;adj.神圣的;v.成为圣徒;
His name is Dr. Denis Mukwege. 他的名字是登尼斯·穆维格
And, in the Congo, for those of you who don't know, there has been a war raging for the last 12 years, a war that has killed nearly six million people. 假如你还不知道,在过去的12年 里, 刚果民主共和国一直在经历内战 那场战争使得六百万人丧命
raging:adj.愤怒的,狂暴的;v.发怒,恼火(rage的现在分词);
It is estimated that somewhere between 300,000 and 500,000 women have been raped there. 据估计,有三十万到五十万的妇女 在战争中被强暴
estimated:adj.估计的;预计的;估算的; raped:v.强奸;强暴(rape的过去分词和过去式)
When I spent my first weeks at Panzi hospital 我在潘伊医院第一周的时候
I sat with women who sat and lined up every day to tell me their stories. 我和那里的妇女坐在一起 她们会坐起来,一个一个的跟我讲故事
And their stories were so horrific and so mind-blowing , and so on the other side of human existence, that to be perfectly honest with you, I was shattered . 她们的故事是如此的让人感到恐怖 让人震撼不已,展现了人类生存状况得另一面, 说实话, 听了那些故事, 我心都碎了。
mind-blowing:adj.使兴奋的;引起幻觉的; on the other side:另一面;在另一边; shattered:adj.受到严重打击的; v.(使)破碎,碎裂; (shatter的过去式和过去分词)
And I will tell you that what happened, is through that shattering , listening to the stories of eight-year-old girls who had their insides eviscerated , 我慢慢的告诉大家一些故事吧 正是因为那种被撕裂的感觉 那种聆听八岁的女孩将心底之故事全盘托出的经历
shattering:adj.给人以极大打击的; v.(使)破碎,碎裂; (shatter的现在分词) eviscerated:v.切除内脏;切除…的内部器官;(eviscerate的过去式和过去分词)
who had guns and bayonets and things shoved inside them so they had holes, literally , inside them where their pee and poop came out of them. ——她们的身体都曾遭枪或长剑的凌辱 她们的身体上的的确确是存在这样那样的洞 她们的排泄物都是从那里排出的
bayonets:刺刀;[机]卡销(bayonet的复数); shoved:v.猛推;乱挤;推撞;乱放;(shove的过去分词和过去式) literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: pee:n.小便;撒尿;v.撒尿; poop:n.船尾;傻子;内幕消息;v.使精疲力尽;使船尾受击;
Listening to the story of 80-year-old women who were tied to chains and circled, and where groups of men would come and rape them periodically , all in the name of economic exploitation to steal the minerals so the West can have it and profit from them. 还有聆听八十岁的老妇人告诉我 她们曾被绑在铁链上,串成一圈儿, 一群男人然后就不定时的进来,轮奸她们 这一切,都是在经济扩张的名义下进行的 大公司开掘矿藏,这样他们就可以收获渔利
periodically:adv.定期地;周期性地;偶尔;间歇; in the name of:以…的名义; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; exploitation:n.开发,开采;利用;广告推销; minerals:n.矿物;矿产,矿产品(mineral的复数);矿物质; profit:n.利润;利益;v.获利;有益;
My mind was so shattered. 我的内心被撕裂了
But what happened for me is that that shattering actually emboldened me in a way I have never been emboldened. 但对于我来说,那种撕裂反而 使得我变得更加坚强 那也是从来没有过的
emboldened:v.使增加勇气;使更有信心;将(文本)变成粗体;(embolden的过去分词和过去式)
That shattering, that opening of my girl cell, that kind of massive breakthrough of my heart allowed me to become more courageous and braver, and actually more clever than I had been in the past in my life. 我的女孩细胞也由此而打开 我的心灵获得巨大突破 我的心灵获得巨大突破,都使我变得更勇敢 也变得更加聪明 这是以前从未有过的
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的; courageous:adj.有胆量的,勇敢的;
And I want to say that I think the powers that be know that empire building is actually that feelings get in the way of empire building. 另外我想说,有一种必须让人知道的力量, 其实, 感情是阻碍帝国大厦成为帝国大厦的 帝国大厦,
get in the way:妨碍;挡道;挡住去路;阻碍;
Feelings get in the way of the mass acquisition of the Earth, and excavating the Earth, and destroying things. 良知会阻挡人们疯狂挖掘地球资源 掏空地球,毁灭万物。
in the way of:妨碍;关于…方面; acquisition:n.获得物,获得; excavating:v.挖掘(excavate的现在分词);
I remember, for example when my father, who was very very violent , used to beat me. 我记得,我的父亲,他是非常非常暴力的一个人 他常打我
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的;
And he would actually say, while he was beating me, "Don't you cry. Don't you dare cry." 他 在打我的时候,会这么跟我说, “你为什么不哭?你不敢哭吗?”
Because my crying somehow exposed his brutality to him. 因为只要我哭,他也许就会感到自己的暴力
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; exposed:adj.无遮蔽的; v.暴露; (expose的过去分词和过去式) brutality:n.无情;残忍;暴行(需用复数形式);
And even in the moment he didn't want to be reminded of what he was doing. 即便当时他并不想 被提醒他正在做什么
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
I know that we have systematically annihilated the girl cell. 我只知道,我们的社会系统性地歼灭了女孩细胞
systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地; annihilated:adj.废止的;v.废止(annihilate的过去分词);
And I want to say we've annihilated it in men as well as in women. 不单在男人身上,也在女人身上
And I think in some ways we've been much harsher to men in the annihilation of their girl cell. 我认为, 在某种程度 人们更残忍地对待男人身上的“女孩细胞”
harsher:刺耳的;粗糙的;严厉的(harsh的比较级); annihilation:n.灭绝;消灭;
(Applause) (掌声)
I see how boys have been brought up, and I see this across the planet, to be tough, to be hardened , to distance themselves from their tenderness , to not cry. 我看到男孩子是如何被养大的,全世界都是这样 家长都会希望自己的孩子变得更壮、更坚强 远离脆弱,不要哭泣
hardened:adj.变硬的;坚定的;v.坚定,变硬(harden的过去分词); tenderness:n.亲切;柔软;柔和;敏感;棘手;
I actually realized once in Kosovo, when I watched a man break down, that bullets are actually hardened tears, that when we don't allow men to have their girl self 有一次我去了科索沃 看到一个男人倒下 忽然间想到,原来子弹就是硬化的泪珠啊 当我们不允许男人怀有女孩细胞
bullets:n.子弹;弹丸;(bullet的复数)
and have their vulnerability, and have their compassion, and have their hearts, that they become hardened and hurtful and violent. 不允许他们任何的脆弱或同情 不允许发自内心的情感。这时候,他们就会变得冷漠、容易伤害别人 甚至是走向暴力
hurtful:adj.造成损害的;
And I think we have taught men to be secure when they are insecure , to pretend they know things when they don't know things, or why would we be where we are? 我们知道,男人往往在不安全时 说他们自己是安全的 不知道的时候假装自己知道 或者假装知道为什么弄到这步天地?
insecure:adj.不安全的;不稳定的;不牢靠的;
To pretend they're not a mess when they are a mess. 即便事情一团乱麻也装得井井有条
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
And I will tell you a very funny story. 告诉你们一件很好笑的事。
On my way here on the airplane , I was walking up and down the isle of the plane. 我是坐飞机过来的,我在飞机的过道上走来走去
airplane:n.飞机; isle:n.岛;小岛;
And all these men, literally at least 10 men were in their little seats watching chick flicks . 我看到一群男人,确切说至少有十个 坐在他们的一方小天地里看言情片
flicks:推击球;绒毛;微跳;(尤指用手指或手快速地)轻击(flick的第三人称单数);
And they were all alone, and I thought, "This is the secret life of men." 每个人都在单打独斗,我想“这就是男人的秘密生活吧”
(Laughter) (笑声)
I've traveled, as I said , to many many countries, and I've seen, if we do what we do to the girl inside us then obviously it's horrific to think what we do to girls in the world. 我去过很多地方 很多个国家 我的所见所闻让我想到, 假如我们按照我们对待自身女孩细胞的方式,去对待现实中的女孩 那将会是多么悲惨的一个世界
as I said:正如我所说的
And we heard from Sunitha yesterday, and Kavita about what we do to girls. 昨天,苏妮塔和克薇塔 也在这里讲述了她关于女孩的故事
But I just want to say that 我只是想告诉大家
I've met girls with knife wounds and cigarette burns, who are literally being treated like ash trays . 我见过那些遭受了刀伤以及烟头的女孩子 人们真的是把她们当成烟灰缸来对待
wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数) treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) trays:n.[机]托盘;盘子(tray的复数);
I've seen girls be treated like garbage cans. 还有人会把女孩子当成垃圾场
garbage:n.垃圾;废物;
I've seen girls who were beaten by their mothers, and brothers and fathers and uncles. 做母亲的会打自己的女儿 做兄弟的、父亲的、叔叔的就更不用说
I've seen girls starving themselves to death in America in institutions to look like some idealized version of themselves. 我看到一些女孩子在美国一些貌似 可以帮助她们变成理想中的自我的机构中饿死
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) idealized:v.将…视为理想;将…理想化;(idealize的过去式和过去分词)
I've seen that we cut girls and we control them and we keep them illiterate , or we make them feel bad about being too smart. 我看到对女孩行割礼,对女孩进行控制 不让女孩上学 或者是,一旦女孩子变得聪明,我们就让她们感到内疚
illiterate:adj.文盲的;不识字的;没受教育的;n.文盲;
We silence them. We make them feel guilty for being smart. We get them to behave , to tone it down , not to be too intense . 我们让她们变得沉默 让她们感到聪明是坏事 让她们不要宣张,不要激烈
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的; behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用; tone it down:扯下来; intense:adj.强烈的;紧张的;非常的;热情的;
We sell them, we kill them as embryos . 我们还贩卖女孩,甚至是在胎儿的时候就将其杀死
embryos:n.胚;胚胎;人类胚胎;(embryo的复数)
We enslave them. We rape them. 我们还把女孩当奴隶,我们强暴女孩
enslave:v.使成为奴隶;奴役;使受控制;征服;
We are so accustomed to robbing girls of the subject of being the subjects of their lives that we have now actually objectified them and turned them into commodities . 我们甚至对此习以为常 认为女孩不该成为自己生命之主宰 我们于是将女孩当成了没有情感的东西 拿到市场上去卖
accustomed to:习惯于; objectified:vt.使具体化,使客观化;体现; commodities:n.商品(commodity的复数);日用品;商品期货;
The selling of girls is rampant across the planet. 环顾整个地球,贩卖女孩的行为日渐猖獗,
rampant:adj.猖獗的;蔓延的;狂暴的;奔放的;
And in many places they are worth less than goats and cows. 在有些地方,女孩子的价值甚至不如牛羊
But I also want to talk about the fact that if one in eight people on the planet are girls between the ages of 10 to 24, they are they key, really, in the developing world, as well as in the whole world, to the future of humanity . 此外,假如我们认为 这个地球上有八分之一是 10到24岁的女孩, 可以肯定,她们是人类的未来 对发展中国家和发达国家一样的道理
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
And if girls are in trouble because they face systematic disadvantages that keep them where society wants them to be, including lack of access to healthcare , education, healthy foods, labor force participation . 女孩身陷各种麻烦,是由于社会系统性地将她们置于不利地位 使得她们无法担当本可以担当的角色 包括缺乏获得基本医疗的渠道 缺乏教育和健康食品 参加劳动大军
disadvantages:n.不利因素;障碍;不便之处;(disadvantage的复数) healthcare:n.医疗保健;健康护理,健康服务;卫生保健; participation:n.参与;分享;参股;
The burden of all the household tasks usually falls on girls and younger siblings . 家务劳动的重担 大多由女孩和未达劳动年龄的儿童被迫承担
burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于; household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的; siblings:n.兄;弟;姐;妹;(sibling的复数)
Which ensures that they will never overcome these barriers . 这些也使得她们无法摆脱社会的枷锁
ensures:v.保证,确定(原形为ensure); overcome:vt.克服;胜过;vi.克服;得胜; barriers:n.障碍;栅栏;篱笆墙(barrier的复数形式);
The state of girls, the condition of girls, will, in my belief, and that's the girl inside us and the girl in the world, determine whether the species survives. 女孩子的境况 这包括我们身体内的女孩以及现实的女孩 ——在我看来—— 将直接决定我们这个物种的存亡。
determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
And what I want to suggest is that, having talked to girls, because I just finished a new book called "I Am an Emotional Creature : The Secret Life of Girls Around the World," 我想提出的一个想法是 我们 都来跟女孩开展对话。 我最近写 了一本书,叫《我是一个情感动物:全球女孩秘密故事》
Emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; Creature:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人;
I've been talking to girls for five years, and one of the things that I've seen is true everywhere is that the verb that's been enforced on girl is the verb "to please." 过去五年,我一直在跟女孩对话 不管去到那里,一样事情是肯定的 即人们谈论到女孩的时候,所用的动词 这就是“取悦”
enforced:adj.强迫的;强制性的;v.强制执行;迫使;(enforce的过去分词和过去式)
Girls are trained to please. 人们训练女孩去“取悦”他人
I want to change the verb. 我想改变这个动词
I want us all to change the verb. 我希望大家都可以改变这个动词
I want the verb to be "educate" 我希望将其改为“教育”
or " activate " or " engage " 或者“鼓动”、“介入”
activate:vt.刺激;使活动;使活泼;使产生放射性;vi.激活;有活力; engage:v.吸引,占用;使参加;雇佣;使订婚;预定;
or " confront " or " defy " or "create." 或“对抗”或“反抗”或“创造
confront:v.直面;无法回避;降临于;处理;对抗; defy:vt.藐视;公然反抗;挑衅;使落空;n.挑战;对抗;
If we teach girls to change the verb we will actually enforce the girl inside us and the girl inside them. 假如我们能够教育女孩改变这个动词 我们也会让我们体内的女孩变得更加有力 让女孩自身的女孩特质变得更加有力量
And I have to now share a few stories of girls I've seen across the planet who have engaged their girl, who have taken on their girl in spite of all the circumstances around them. 接下来就跟大家分享几个故事 都是我在全世界看到的一些女孩 的故事 她们都曾鼓舞了其他女孩 都曾在种种障碍之下 成功的活出了一个完整的女孩
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式) in spite of:尽管;不管,不顾; circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
I know a 14 year old girl in the Netherlands, for example, who is demanding that she take a boat and go around the entire world by herself. 我认识一个14岁的荷兰女孩子 她要自己坐一艘小船 独自环游世界
There is a teenage girl who just recently went out and knew that she needed 56 stars tattooed on the right side of her face. 还有,最近一个 少女 她要在自己的右脸 做56颗星星状的文身
recently:adv.最近;新近; tattooed:v.将花纹刺在…上;给…文身;(tattoo的过去分词和过去式)
There is a girl, Julia Butterfly Hill, who lived for a year in a tree because she wanted to protect the wild oaks . 还有一个叫朱莉亚·希尔的女孩 她在一棵树上住了一年 因为她想保护野生的橡树
oaks:n.橡树(oak的复数);
There is a girl who I met 14 years ago in Afghanistan who I have adopted as my daughter because her mother was killed. Her mother was a revolutionary . 还有,14年前,我在阿富汗认识了一个女孩 我把她收养了,将她当成自己的女儿 她母亲是一位革命家,被人杀死了
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); adopted:adj.被收养的;被采用的;v.采用;接受;(adopt的过去式和过去分词); revolutionary:adj.革命性的;革命的;彻底变革的;n.改革者;革命者;
And this girl, when she was 17 years old wore a burqa in Afghanistan, and went into the stadiums and documented the atrocities that were going on towards women, underneath her burqa, with a video. 而这个女孩,当她还只是17岁的时候 在阿富汗, 就穿着一件布卡 走到会场里, 记录了那里发生的针对妇女的血腥暴力 在布卡底下,是她的摄像机。
stadiums:n.体育馆;露天大型运动场(stadium的复数); atrocities:n.暴行(atrocity的复数);残忍; underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
And that video became the video that went out all over the world after 9/11 to show what was going on in Afghanistan. 那个视频也传遍了世界 向人们揭示了911之后发生在阿富汗的一些事实
I want to talk about Rachel Corrie who was in her teens when she stood in front of an Israeli tank to say "end the occupation ." 还有雷切尔·科莉 她十几岁的时候,就曾走到一辆以色列坦克跟前 说,“停止占领。”
Corrie:n.山腰的洼地;冰斗; teens:n.十多岁,十几岁;青少年; Israeli:adj.以色列的;以色列人的;n.以色列人; occupation:n.职业;占领;占用;工作;
And she knew she risked death and she was literally gunned down and rolled over by that tank. 她知道这是在送命,并且遭到了连番枪击 最后坦克从她身上开过
And I want to talk about a girl that I just met recently in Bukavu, who was impregnated by her rapist . 还有,我最近认识的一个女孩 那是在布卡维,这个女孩因为被强暴而怀孕
impregnated:adj.浸渍的;浸染的;v.浸渍(impregnate的过去分词); rapist:n.强奸犯;强奸者;
And she was holding her baby. 她把孩子抱在怀里
And I asked her if she loved her baby. 我问她,是否喜欢这个孩子
And she looked into her baby's eyes and she said, "Of course I love my baby. How could I not love my baby? 她看着孩子的眼睛,说 “那当然。我怎么可能不喜爱自己的孩子呢?
It's my baby and it's full of love." 这确实是我的孩子啊,他的身上流淌着爱。
The capacity for girls to overcome situations and to move on levels, to me, is mind-blowing. 女孩那种对抗困境并且 穷而益坚的精神着实让我感动
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
And there is a girl named Dorcas . And I just met her in Kenya. 还有个叫多卡丝的女孩,我是在肯尼亚见到她的
Dorcas:n.缝制施舍贫民的衣服的妇女会;多尔卡丝(女子名);
And Dorcas is 15 years old 那时候多卡丝15岁
And she was trained in self-defense . 她学习自卫
self-defense:n.自卫;正当防卫;自卫权;
And a few months ago she was picked up on the street by three older men. 几个月前, 她在路上被三个男人劫持了,
They kidnapped her, they put her in a car. 他们绑架了她,把她丢到车上
And through her self defense, she grabbed their Adam's apples, she punched them in the eyes, and she got herself free and out of the car. 她勇敢地自卫,抓住他们的喉咙 用拳头打他们的眼睛 终于得以逃脱那班人的魔爪,逃离了那辆车
grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式) punched:v.拳打;以拳痛击;给…打孔;按(键);(punch的过去分词和过去式)
In Kenya, in August 今年8月,在肯尼亚
I went to visit one of the V-Day safe houses for girls, a house we opened seven years ago with an amazing woman named Agnes Pareyio. 我参观了一个专门为女孩开设的V日安全避难所 那是我们7年前设立的 跟我一起设立这个避难所的还有一个叫艾格尼丝的妇女
Agnes was a woman who was cut when she was a little girl, she was female genitally mutilated . 艾格尼丝在她还很小的时候就被强迫割礼 她的女性生殖器被阉割了。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物; mutilated:adj.残缺的;破坏的;v.切断;使残废(mutilate的过去分词);
And she made a decision as many women do, across this planet, that what was done to her would not be enforced and done to other women and girls. 后来她作出了一个决定——世界很多地方的妇女也作出了同样的决定, 那就是 发生在她身上的不应再次发生在其他妇女和少女身上
So, for years Agnes walked through the Rift valley . 多年来,艾格尼丝行走在瑞夫山谷间
Rift valley:n.地堑;裂谷;
She taught girls what a healthy vagina looked like, and what a mutilated vagina looked like. 她告诉少女健康的阴道是怎样的 被割掉的阴道又是怎样的
And in that time she saved many girls. And when we met her we asked her what we could do for her, and she said, "Well, if you got me a Jeep I could get around a lot faster." 她拯救了许多少女的生命。当我见到她的时候 我问她,我们可以为她做点什么 她说,“假如我有一辆吉普车,我将可以到达更多的地方”
get around:到处走走;逃避;说服;传开来(等于getround);有办法应付;有办法应付局面;
So, we got her a Jeep. And then she saved 4,500 girls. 于是我们就为她买了一辆吉普车。她一共拯救了4500条生命。
And then we asked her, "Okay, what else do you need?" 后来我们又问她,“你还需要点什么?”
And she said, "Well, now, I need a house." 她说,“我需要一所房子”
So, seven years ago Agnes built the first V-Day safe house in Narok, Kenya, in the Masai land. 于是,七年前,艾格尼丝开始建设第一间V日安全中心 那是在肯尼亚的那洛克
safe house:n.安全屋;
And it was a house where girls could run away, they could save their clitoris , they wouldn't be cut, they could go to school. 那是逃难的少女的庇护所 她们可以逃脱让自己的阴蒂被割的命运 还有机会上学
clitoris:n.[解剖]阴蒂;阴核;
And in the years that Agnes has had the house she has changed the situation there. 艾格尼丝建起了这间房子后 她改变了当地的状况
She has literally become deputy mayor . 并且当上了副市长
deputy:n.代理人,代表;adj.副的;代理的; mayor:n.市长;镇长;
She has changed the rules. 改变了了法规
The whole community has bought in to what she's doing. 整个社区也认同她的做法
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
When we were there she was doing a ritual , where she reconciles girls who have run away, with their families. 我们去到那里的时候,她正在举行一个仪式 让那些离家出走的女孩与家人重新团聚
ritual:n.仪式;惯例;礼制;adj.仪式的;例行的;礼节性的; reconciles:和解;一致;
And there was a young girl named Jaclyn. 其中有一个叫Jaclyn的女孩
Jaclyn was 14 years old and she was in her Masai family and there is a drought in Kenya. 她14岁以前和家人住在马塞 那一年,肯尼亚发生了旱灾
drought:n.干旱;缺乏;
And so cows are dying, and cows are the most valuable possession . 牛是她们最为值钱的财产 也陆续死去
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品; possession:n.拥有;具有;属地;个人财产;
And Jaclyn overheard her father talking to an old man about how he was about to sell her for the cows. Jaclyn听到她父亲跟别人商量 希望把她卖掉 换来一头牛
overheard:v.无意中听到;偷听;(overhear的过去分词) was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
And she knew that meant she would be cut. 她知道那意味着自己要被割
She knew that meant she wouldn't go to school. 意味着自己无法上学
She knew that meant she wouldn't have a future. 也不可能有一个好的未来
She knew she would have to marry that old man, and she was 14. 不得不嫁给那个老人,而她只有14岁
So, one afternoon, she'd heard about the safe house, 有一天,她听到有庇护所的消息
Jaclyn left her father's house and she walked for two days, two days through Masai land. 于是她决定离家出走 在马塞的土地上 徒步两天
She slept with the hyenas . She hid at night. 夜里要跟鬣狗睡在一起,因为她要找庇护的地方
hyenas:n.土狼(hyena的复数形式);
She imagined her father killing her on one hand , and Mama Agnes greeting her, with the hope that she would greet her when she got to the house. 她一方面想到父亲会杀死她 另一方面又想到艾格尼丝会欢迎她 也希望自己可以安全抵达庇护所
on one hand:一方面;
And when she got to the house she was greeted. 最后达到那里的时候,她真的受到了欢迎
And Agnes took her in. And Agnes loved her. 艾格尼丝把她带到屋里,艾格尼丝爱她
And Agnes supported her for the year. 艾格尼丝一直支持她
And she went to school and she found her voice and she found her identity and she found her heart. 后来她去上学,也找到了自我 找到了自我认同以及学会关爱自己
identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
And then, her time was ready when she had to go back to talk to her father about the reconciliation , after a year. 当她认为时机成熟的时候, 她回到家里找父亲 跟父亲讲和,那是一年后
reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿;
And I had the privilege of being in the hut when she was reunited with her father and reconciled . 而我有幸在她们一家恢复和平、顺利团聚的时候 在她们家见证那一幕
privilege:n.特权;优待;v.给与…特权;特免; hut:n.小屋;木屋;[军事]临时营房;[美俚]牢房;v.(使)住临时营房[小屋]; reunited:v.重聚;使再结合(reunite的过去式和过去分词); reconciled:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协;(reconcile的过去分词和过去式)
And in that hut, we walked in, and her father and his four wives were sitting there, and her sisters who had just returned because they had all fled when she had fled, and her primary mother, who had been beaten in standing up for her with the elders. 我们走进那间小草屋 她的父亲和四个妻子坐在那里 她的姐妹们也回来了, 她们也跟她一同离家出走的 还有她的母亲, 她曾因站在她的一边而被打
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式)
And when her father saw her and saw who she had become, in her full girl self, he threw his arms around her and broke down crying. 当她的父亲看到她,看到她 变为一个成熟的少女时 他拥抱着Jaclyn,放声大哭
And he said, "You are beautiful. You have grown into a gorgeous woman. 他说,“你真美,你变成一个美丽的姑娘了,
gorgeous:adj.华丽的,灿烂的;极好的;
We will not cut you. 我们不会给你行割礼了
And I give you my word, here and now , that we will not cut your sisters either." 我现在就承诺 也不会对你的妹妹行割礼。“
here and now:此时此地;立刻;
And what she said to him was, "You were willing to sell me for four cows and a calf , and some blankets. 她对父亲说, “那时候,为了四头牛,一只小牛以及一些地毯 你愿意把我卖出去
calf:n.小牛;牛犊;腓肠;小腿肚;
But I promise you, now that I will be educated 但是,我可以向你保证,现在的我接受了教育
I will always take care of you, and I will come back and I will build you a house. 我会一直照顾你 我会回来,给你盖房子
And I will be in your corner for the rest of your life." 直到你离开人世,我会一直陪伴你。”
For me, that is the power of girls. 我认为,这就是少女的力量
And that is the power of transformation . 也是转变的力量
transformation:n.转变;(用于南非)民主改革;
I want to close today with a new piece from my book. 我想以我的书里头的一段话 作为今天这个演讲的总结
And I want to do it tonight for the girl in everybody here. 这个演讲是献给在座所有人的 内心少女的
And I want to do it for Sunitha. 也希望将此献给苏妮塔
And I want to do it for the girls that Sunitha talked about yesterday, the girls who survive, the girls who can become somebody else. 献给苏妮塔昨天谈论过的那些少女 那些有幸存活下来的,有机会改变自我的少女
But I really want to do it for each and every person here, to value the girl in us, to value the part that cries, to value the part that's emotional, to value the part that's vulnerable , to understand that's where the future lies. 也希望将此献给这里的每一个人 希望大家可以珍视我们的内心少女 珍视泪珠 珍视情感的力量 珍视脆弱的部分 并且明白,那是我们的未来之所系
vulnerable:adj.易受攻击的,易受…的攻击;易受伤害的;有弱点的;
This is called "I'm An Emotional Creature." 这段话标题是“我是一个情感动物”
And it happened because I met a girl in Watts L.A. 它源于我在洛杉矶遇到的一个女孩
Watts:n.瓦特(功率单位);
I was asking girls if they liked being a girl, and all the girls were like, "No, I hate it. I can't stand it. 我那时候到处问女孩子,她们是否喜欢做女孩 所有的女孩都说,“不,我讨厌这个,我不能接受这个,
It's all bad. My brothers get everything." 太糟糕了。我的哥哥总是得到所有的东西。“
And this girl just sat up and went, "I love being a girl. 而这个女孩则站起来说:“我喜欢做女孩,
I'm an emotional creature!" 因为我是一个情感动物!”
(Laughter) (笑声)
This is for her: 这是献给她的:
I love being a girl. 我热爱当女孩。
I can feel what you're feeling as you're feeling inside the feeling before. 我可以体会你的情感 体会你刚才体会到的情感
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物
Things do not come to me as intellectual theories or hard-pressed ideas. 认识这个世界,我靠的不是知识理论 或抽象的概念
intellectual:n.知识分子;脑力劳动者;adj.智力的;脑力的;理智的;有才智的; hard-pressed:adj.被紧紧催逼的;被紧迫追赶的;
They pulse through my organs and legs and burn up my ears. 而是像脉冲那样在我的器官里,在我的腿里,我的耳朵里流动
pulse:n.脉冲;脉搏;脉率;强劲的音乐节拍;v.搏动;跳动;震动;洋溢着; organs:n.[生物]器官;机构;风琴(organ的复数);
Oh, I know when your girlfriend is really pissed off, even though she appears to give you what you want. 哦,我懂得你的女朋友的烂心情 虽然她表面还是对你百依百顺
pissed:adj.烂醉的;怒冲冲的;v.撒尿;(piss的过去分词和过去式)
I know when a storm is coming. 我能感知暴雨来临
I can feel the invisible stirrings in the air. 我还能感知那看不见的空气的震动
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; stirrings:n.渐起;萌芽;
I can tell you he won't call back. It's a vibe I share. 我可以告诉你,她不会给你 打电话了。因为我跟她是在同一波段上 的。
vibe:n.气氛,氛围;
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物。
I love that I do not take things lightly . 我不会只是看得到事情的表面。
lightly:adv.轻轻地;轻松地;容易地;不费力地;
Everything is intense to me, the way I walk in the street, the way my momma wakes me up, the way it's unbearable when I lose, the way I hear bad news. 任何事情,对我而言,都是紧张的 不管是在街上走,是妈妈从睡梦里将我叫醒 是我面对失败,是我听到坏消息的那种震动
momma:n.妈妈; unbearable:adj.难以忍受的;承受不住的;
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物
I am connected to everything and every one. I was born like that. 我跟所有人所有事都连接在一起。我天生就是这样的。
Don't you say all negative that it's only only a teenage thing, or it's only because I'm a girl. 不要是说这不好那不好 那是小孩子的做法 也不要说,那是因为我是女孩
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
These feelings make me better. 这些反而让我高兴
They make me present. They make me ready. They make me strong. 让我快乐,让我感到实在,让我感到强大
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物
There is a particular way of knowing, 那是一种特别的认知方式
It's like the older women somehow forgot. 有点像老妇人的健忘
I rejoice that it's still in my body. 她还活在我体内,我因此而高兴
rejoice:vi.高兴;庆祝;vt.使高兴;
Oh, I know when the coconut is about to fall. 我知道椰子什么时候会掉到地上
coconut:n.椰子;椰子肉; is about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将;
I know we have pushed the Earth too far. 我知道我们对地球伤害太多
I know my father isn't coming back, and that no one is prepared for the fire. 我知道我的父亲不会再世 我知道没有人准备好接受战火
I know that lipstick means more than show, and boys are super insecure, and so-called terrorists are made, not born. 还有唇膏不仅仅是为了展示 我知道男孩也时常惴惴不安 所谓的恐怖主义分子是后天的,非天生的
lipstick:n.口红;唇膏; so-called:adj.所谓的;号称的;
I know that one kiss could take away all my decision making ability. 我知道,一个亲吻 可以消解我的一切判断力
(Laughter) (笑声)
And you know what? Sometimes it should. 知道吗?有时候确实应该这样
This is not extreme. It's a girl thing, what we would all be if the big door inside us flew open. 这不是极端。这是女孩会做的事情 假如我们内心的那道大门得以打开,这也是我们每个人都能做到的
Don't tell me not to cry, to calm it down, not to be so extreme, to be reasonable . 不要告诉我停止哭泣,冷静 不要走极端,要理性
reasonable:adj.合理的,公道的;通情达理的;
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物
It's how the earth got made, how the wind continues to pollinate . 这正是地球的运作方式啊,这也是风的运行规律啊
pollinate:vt.对...授粉;
You don't tell the Atlantic Ocean to behave. 你不可能指挥太平洋怎样做
Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
I am an emotional creature. 我是一个情感动物
Why would you want to shut me down or turn me off? 为何让我停下,让我掉头?
I am your remaining memory. 我是你残留的记忆
I can take you back. 我可以把你带回过去
Nothing has been diluted . 没有被冲淡,
diluted:v.稀释;冲淡;削弱;降低;(dilute的过去分词和过去式)
Nothing's leaked out. 也没有一点滴漏
leaked:v.漏;渗漏;泄漏;渗入;漏出;透露(秘密信息);(leak的过去分词和过去式)
I love, hear me, I love that I can feel the feelings inside you, even if they stop my life, even if they break my heart, even if they take me off track , they make me responsible . 我爱,听我讲,我爱 我可以体会你心底的情感 即使那样会停止我的生命 即使那样会打碎我的心 即使那样会把我偏离正轨 但这会让我变得有责任感
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
I am an emotional, I am an emotional incondotional, devotional creature. 我是有情感的,我是一个 有情感的、无条件全情投入的动物
devotional:adj.虔诚的,祷告的;信仰的;献身的;
And I love, hear me, 听我讲,我爱
I love love love being a girl. 我爱,爱,爱当一个女孩
Can you say it with me? 听到了吗?
I love, I love, love, love being a girl! 我爱- 爱-爱-爱 当一个女孩!
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家!
(Applause) (掌声)