返回首页

EveAbrams_2017W-_大规模监禁背后的故事_

I have never been arrested, never spent a night in jail , never had a loved one thrown into the back of a squad car or behind bars , or be at the mercy of a scary, confusing system that at best sees them with indifference , and at worst as monstrous . 我从没被捕过, 从没在监狱待过一个晚上, 从没看过我爱的人被丢进警车后座, 或坐牢, 或者任由一个可怕、混乱的体制摆布。 这个体制最好情况下对他们冷漠以对, 最坏情况下则像怪物一样看待他们。
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; squad car:n.警车; behind bars:坐牢;在狱中;在监狱服刑;铁窗之后; mercy:n.仁慈,宽容;怜悯;幸运;善行; confusing:adj.令人困惑; v.使糊涂; (confuse的现在分词) indifference:n.漠不关心;冷淡;不重视;中立; monstrous:adj.巨大的;怪异的;荒谬的;畸形的;
The United States of America locks up more people than any other nation on the planet, and Louisiana is our biggest incarcerator. 美国监禁的人比这个地球上任何国家都多, 路易斯安那州则是我们最大的监禁者。
United States of America:un.美利坚合众国; Louisiana:n.美国路易斯安那州;
Most of you are probably like me -- lucky. 你们大多数人很可能像我一样—— 是幸运的。
The closest we get to crime and punishment is likely what we see on TV. 我们最多大概就是 在电视上看到罪犯与惩罚。
punishment:n.惩罚;严厉对待,虐待;
While making "Unprisoned," 在制作 《被释》节目时,
I met a woman who used to be like us -- 我遇到个过去也和我们一样的女人——
Sheila Phipps. 席拉 · 菲普斯。
Sheila:n.小妞;少女;年轻女子;
(Recording) Sheila Phipps: Before my son went to jail, (录音)席拉 · 菲普斯: 在我儿子进监狱以前,
I used to see people be on television, fighting, saying, "Oh, this person didn't do it and this person is innocent ." 我常常在电视上看到人们争吵, 说,“哦,这个人没有干这事, 这人是无辜的。”
innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
And you know, you snub them or you dismiss them, and like, "Yeah, whatever." 而你通常是嗤之以鼻或置若罔闻: “呃,管它呢”。
snub:vt.冷落;严厉斥责;掐灭;n.冷落;斥责;突然的停止;adj.制动用的;短扁上翘的; dismiss:v.不予考虑;摒弃;消除;解雇;
Don't get me wrong, there's a lot of people who deserve to be in prison. 别误会我, 有很多人应该被关监狱,
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
There's a lot of criminals out here. 外面有很多犯罪。
But there are a lot of innocent people that's in jail. 但是,监狱里也有很多无辜的人。
EA: Sheila's son, McKinley , is one of those innocent people. 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 席拉的儿子, 麦金莱,就是其中一个无辜的人。
McKinley:n.麦金莱(美国第25任总统);
He served 17 years of a 30-year sentence on a manslaughter charge. 他以过失杀人,被判了30年,服刑了17年。
manslaughter:n.杀人;过失杀人;一般杀人罪;
He had no previous convictions , there was no forensic evidence in the case. 他没有前科, 这个案件没有法医证据。
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前; convictions:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定;(conviction的复数) forensic:adj.法院的;辩论的;适于法庭的; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
He was convicted solely on the basis of eyewitness testimony , and decades of research have shown that eyewitness testimony isn't as reliable as we once believed it to b e. 他的定罪仅仅是基于目击证词, 而几十年的研究已经表明 目击证词没有 我们想象的那么可靠。
convicted:v.定罪;宣判…有罪;(convict的过去式和过去分词) solely:adv.单独地,唯一地; on the basis of:根据;基于…; eyewitness:n.目击者;见证人; testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据; e.:abbr.(=electron;electronic)电子(的);n.英语字母表的第5个字母;
Scientists say that memory isn't precise . 科学家说记忆是不精准的。
precise:adj.准确的;确切的;精确的;明确的;
It's less like playing back a video, and more like putting together a puzzle . 它不像回放一段视频, 而更像是拼一幅拼图。
puzzle:n.谜;疑问;智力游戏;不解之谜;v.迷惑;使困惑;
Since 1989, when DNA testing was first used to free innocent people, over 70 percent of overturned convictions were based on eyewitness testimony. 自从 1989年,当 DNA 检测 第一次被用于释放无辜的人起, 超过 70% 被推翻的定罪 都是基于目击证词。
overturned:v.推翻;倾覆;撤销;(overturn的过去分词和过去式)
Last year, the district attorney whose office prosecuted McKinley's case was convicted of unrelated corruption charges. 去年, 起诉麦金莱案子的地区检察官 因不相关的腐败控告被定罪。
district attorney:n.(美国)地方检察官; prosecuted:v.起诉;控告;检举;(prosecute的过去式和过去分词) unrelated:adj.无关的,不相干的; corruption:n.贪污,腐败;堕落;
When this district attorney of 30 years stepped down, the eyewitnesses from McKinley's case came forward and said that they had been pressured into testifying by the district attorneys , pressure which included the threat of jail time. 当这名30年的地区检察官下台后, 麦金莱案的目击人们站了出来, 说他们是在受到地区检察官的 强迫下进行作证的, 强迫方式包括蹲监狱的威胁。
eyewitnesses:n.目击者;见证人;(eyewitness的复数) testifying:v.(尤指出庭)作证;证实;证明;见证(上帝的存在);(testify的现在分词) attorneys:n.辩护师,律师(attorney的复数形式);
Despite this, McKinley is still in prison. 尽管这样,麦金莱仍然在监狱中。
Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
(Recording) SP: Before this happened, (录音)席拉 · 菲普斯: 发生这件事之前,我从没想到这点。
I never would've thought it.
And well, I guess it's hard for me to imagine that these things is going on, you know, until this happened to my son. 我就是很难想象这样的事情会发生, 直到它发生在我儿子身上。
It really opened my eyes. 这事真的让我开了眼界。
It really, really opened my eyes. 它真的,真的开了我的眼界。
I ain't gonna lie to you. 说实话。
EA: Estimates of how many innocent people are locked up range between one and four percent, which maybe doesn't sound like a lot, except that it amounts to around 87,000 people: mothers, fathers, sons locked up, often for decades, for crimes they did not commit . 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 据估计, 被关押起来的无辜人数 范围是 1% 到 4% 之间, 听起来或许不算很多, 但这相当于大约 87,000 人: 母亲、父亲、儿子被关起来, 通常是几十年, 为他们没犯过的罪刑。
Estimates:n.估计;估价;估计的成本;v.估价;估算(estimate的第三人称单数和复数) commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处;
And that's not even counting the roughly half a million people who have been convicted of nothing -- those presumed innocent, but who are too poor to bail out of jail 并且这还不包括大约五十万 没有被定罪的人—— 那些很可能是无辜的 但是因为太穷而无力保释的人,
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地; presumed:adj.假定的;推测的;v.假定(presume的过去分词和过去式); bail:n.保释金;保释;v.允许保释(某人);离开;与…搭讪;
and therefore sit behind bars for weeks upon months, waiting for their case to come to trial -- or much more likely, waiting to take a plea just to get out. 他们因此被关在看守所数周到数月, 只为了等待他们的案子开庭-- 或者更应该说, 等待控罪答辩以求早日脱身。
plea:n.请求;恳求;答辩;借口;
All of those people have family on the outside. 所有那些人在外面都有家庭。
(Recording) Kortney Williams: My brother missed my high school graduation because the night before, he went to jail. (录音)科尔特尼 · 威廉姆斯: 我哥哥错过了我的高中毕业典礼, 因为在头一天晚上, 他进监狱了。
My brother missed my birthday dinner because that day, actually, he went to jail. 我哥哥错过了我的生日晚宴 因为就在那一天,他进监狱了。
My brother missed his own birthday dinner because he was in the wrong place at the wrong time. 我哥哥错过了他自己的生日晚宴 因为他在错误的时间出现在了错误的地方。
in the wrong place:不合适的地方;
(Recording) EA: So all these times when he ended up going to jail, were charges pressed or did he just get taken to jail? (录音)伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 他每一次进监狱, 是有控告还是直接被投进监狱的?
KW: The charges would be pressed and it would have a bond posted, then the charges will get dropped ... 科尔特尼 · 威廉姆斯:有控告 并且会公布保释金, 然后控告会取消……
because there was no evidence. 因为没有证据。
EA: I met Kortney Williams when I went to her college classroom to talk about "Unprisoned." 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 我遇见科尔特尼 · 威廉是在
She ended up interviewing her aunt, Troylynn Robertson, for an episode . 她后来在一期节目采访了她的阿姨, 特洛琳 · 罗伯逊。
interviewing:v.对(某人)进行面试;(媒体)采访,访问;(interview的现在分词) episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集;
(Recording) KW: With everything that you went through with your children, what is any advice that you would give me if I had any kids? (录音)科尔特尼 · 威廉姆斯: 在你和你的孩子经历过所有的这些事情后, 你有任何建议给我吗,如果我有孩子的话? 你有任何建议给我吗,如果我有孩子的话?
(Recording) Troylynn Roberston: I would tell you when you have them, you know the first thing that will initially come to mind is love and protection, but I would tell you, even much with the protection to raise them with knowledge of the judicial system -- (录音)特洛琳 · 罗伯逊: 我会告诉你,当你有孩子的时候 你知道首先会出现在你脑海里的是爱 和保护, 但是我还要告诉你, 在养育他们时比保护更重要的 是给他们传输司法系统的知识 --
initially:adv.最初,首先;开头; judicial:adj.公正的,明断的;法庭的;审判上的;
you know, we always tell our kids about the boogeyman , the bad people, who to watch out for , but we don't teach them how to watch out for the judicial system. 我们总是告诉我们的孩子要小心恶魔、 小心坏人,要小心哪些人, 但是我们没有教他们怎样去小心司法系统。
boogeyman:n.具有超人力量的恶巫; watch out for:戒备;密切注意;留意;注意;
EA: Because of the way our criminal legal system disproportionately targets people of color, it's not uncommon for young people like Kortney to know about it. 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 因为我们的刑事法律系统 倾向针对有色人群, 这点像科尔特尼这样的年轻人是知道的。
legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的; disproportionately:adv.不成比例地; uncommon:adj.不寻常的;罕有的;adv.非常地;
When I started going into high schools to talk to students about "Unprisoned," 当我向高中生们讲《被释》时,
I found that roughly one-third of the young people I spoke with had a loved one behind bars. 我发现大概有三分之一的年轻听众 有一个他们所爱的人被关在狱中。
(Recording) Girl: The hardest part is like finding out where he's at, or like, when his court date is. (录音)女孩: 最难的是比如找到他在哪儿, 或者,他的庭审时间是什么时候。
Girl: Yeah, he went to jail on my first birthday. 女孩: 嗯,他在我一岁生日时进了监狱。
Girl: My dad works as a guard. 女孩:我爸爸是一名警卫。
He saw my uncle in jail. 他看见我的叔叔在狱中。
He's in there for life. 他是终身监禁。
EA: According to the Annie E. Casey Foundation , the number of young people with a father incarcerated rose 500 percent between 1980 and 2000. 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 根据安妮 · 凯希基金会的研究 , 其父亲被监禁的年轻人的数量 从1980年到2000年上升了500%。
According to:根据,据说; Foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立; incarcerated:v.监禁;关押;禁闭;(incarcerate的过去式和过去分词)
Over five million of today's children will see a parent incarcerated at some point in their childhoods . 今天有超过500万的孩子 在他们的童年某个时期 会看到父亲或母亲遵监狱。
childhoods:n.童年时期;幼年时代;
But this number disproportionately affects African American children. 但是这个数字更偏向于影响非裔美国儿童。
African American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
By the time they reach the age of 14, one in four black children will see their dad go off to prison. 到他们14岁时, 有四分之一的黑人儿童 会看到他们的父亲去坐牢。
That's compared to a rate of one in 30 for white children. 相比之下,白人儿童这个比例是三十分之一。
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
One key factor determining the future success of both inmates and their children is whether they can maintain ties during the parent's incarceration , but prisoners' phone calls home can cost 20 to 30 times more than regular phone calls, so many families keep in touch through letters. 决定囚犯和他们的孩子 未来是否成功的关键因素之一 是父母被监禁期间是否与孩子维持联系, 但是囚犯打回家的电话费 比常规电话贵20到30倍, 因此很多家庭通过信件来保持联系。
factor:n.因素;要素;[物]因数;代理人;v.做代理商;v.把…作为因素计入; determining:v.查明;测定;准确算出;决定;支配;裁决;(determine的现在分词) inmates:n.被收容者;居民(inmate的名词复数); maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); incarceration:n.监禁;下狱;禁闭;
(Recording: Letter being unfolded) (录音:信件打开)
Anissa Christmas: Dear big brother, 艾妮莎 · 克里斯托马斯: 亲爱的哥哥,
I'm making that big 16 this year, LOL. 今年我就要过16岁了,哈哈。
Guess I'm not a baby anymore. 我想我不再是儿童了。
You still taking me to prom ? 你还会带我去舞会吗?
prom:n.毕业舞会
I really miss you. 我真的很想你,
You're the only guy that kept it real with me. 你是唯一真诚待我的男孩。
I wish you were here so I can vent to you. 我多希望你就在这里, 这样我就可以向你宣泄了。
vent:n.(感情的)发泄; vt.发泄感情; vi.放出; (通过排泄等)减轻压力;
So much has happened since the last time I seen you. 自从我上次见你之后发生了很多事情。
(Voice breaking up) I have some good news. 我有些好消息,
I won first place in the science fair. 我在科学竞赛上得了第一名。
I'm a geek . 我是一名书呆子,
geek:n.做低级滑稽表演的人,反常的人; n.(俚)极客,即智力超群,善于钻研但不懂与人交往的怪才;
We're going to regionals , can't you believe it? 我们将进入地区赛,你相信吗?
regionals:adj.地区的;局部的;整个地区的;
High school is going by super fast. 高中过得超快。
In less than two years, 还有不到两年的时间,
I hope you'll be able to see me walk across the stage. 我希望你会看到我走上毕业舞台。
I thought to write to you because I know it's boring in there. 我写信给你是因为我知道 你在里面很无聊,
boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
I want to put a smile on your face. 我想使你的脸上展露笑容。
Anissa wrote these letters to her brother when she was a sophomore in high school. 艾妮莎写这些信给她哥哥的时候 她在上高二。
sophomore:n.(大学)二年级学生:(高中)二年级学生:
She keeps the letters he writes to her tucked into the frame of her bedroom mirror, and reads them over and over again . 她将他给她写的信藏在 她卧室的镜子的边框里, 一遍一遍地读。
tucked:v.塞进,折叠,卷起;把…藏入;收藏;(tuck的过去分词和过去式) frame:n.框架; v.设计; adj.有木架的; over and over again:adv.一再地;反复不断地;
I'd like to think that there's a good reason why Anissa's brother is locked up. 我想相信有好的原因可以解释 为什么艾妮莎的哥哥被关起来,
We all want the wheels of justice to properly turn, but we're coming to understand that the lofty ideals we learned in school look really different in our nation's prisons and jails and courtrooms . 我们都想要正义的车轮正确地运转。 但是我们渐渐明白 我们在学校里学的那些崇高理想 与我们国家的监狱和法庭的 实际情况很不一样。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; lofty:adj.高的;崇高的;高级的;高傲的; jails:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;vt.监禁;下狱; courtrooms:n.法庭;审判室;
(Recording) Danny Engelberg: You walk into that courtroom and you're just -- (录音)丹尼 · 恩格尔博格: 你走进法庭,然后你——
I've been doing this for a quite a while, and it still catches your breath. 我已经干这个很久了, 但是它仍然会让你喘不过气来。
You're like, "There are so many people of color here," 你会想,“那儿有太多的有色人群了”,
and yet I know that the city is not made up of 90 percent African Americans, so why is it that 90 percent of the people who are in orange are African American? 而我知道这个城市并不是 由90%的非裔人口构成的, 那么为什么90%的穿橙色囚衣的人 是非裔美国人呢?
made up of:由…组成,由…构成;
(Recording) EA: Public defender Danny Engelberg isn't the only one noticing how many black people are in municipal court -- or in any court. (录音)伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 公共辩护律师 丹尼 · 恩格尔博格并不是唯一一个发现 有多少黑人在地方法庭里 或在任何法庭里的人。
Public defender:n.(美国)公设辩护人; municipal:adj.市政的,市的;地方自治的;
It's hard to miss. 这点让人很难不注意。
Who's sitting in court waiting to see the judge? 在法庭都是谁在等着见法官?
What do they look like? 他们看起来是什么样的?
(Recording) Man: Mostly African-Americans, like me. (录音)男人: 大多数是非裔美国人,比如我。
Man: It's mostly, I could say, 85 percent black. 男人:大多数—我能说,85%是黑人。
That's all you see in the orange, in the box back there, who locked up. 你看到的就是他们穿着橙色囚衣, 被关在那些狭小的空间里。
Man: Who's waiting? Mostly black. 男人:谁在等?大多数是黑人。
I mean, there was a couple of white people in there. 有少数几个白人。
Woman: I think it was about 85 percent African-American that was sitting there. 女人: 我想坐在那儿的85% 是非裔美国人。
African-American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
EA: How does a young black person growing up in America today come to understand justice? 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 今天在美国长大的黑人青年 如何理解正义呢?
Another "Unprisoned" story was about a troupe of dancers who choreographed a piece called "Hoods Up," 另一个《被释》的故事是关于一群舞者 他们编排了一个叫“戴上兜帽”的舞蹈,
troupe:n.剧团;一班;一团;vi.巡回演出; choreographed:vt.精心设计(choreograph的过去式);adj.精心设计的;刻意安排的;
which they performed in front of city council . 他们在市政委员会前表演。
performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式) council:n.(市、郡等的)政务委员会;市政(或地方管理)服务机构;
Dawonta White was in the seventh grade for that performance . 参与表演的达望塔 · 怀特那时正在上七年级。
performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
(Recording) Dawonta White: We was wearing black with hoodies because Trayvon Martin, when he was wearing his hoodie, he was killed. (录音)达望塔 · 怀特: 我们当时 穿的是黑色卫衣因为崔文 · 马丁 被杀时正穿着他的卫衣。
hoodies:n.冠鸦;
So we looked upon that, and we said we're going to wear hoodies like Trayvon Martin. 考虑到这点, 我们决定要像崔文 · 马丁那样穿着卫衣。
(Recording) EA: Who came up with that idea? (录音)伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 谁想到那个主意的?
DW: The group. We all agreed on it. 达望塔 · 怀特: 整个小组,我们都同意这个主意。
I was a little nervous, but I had stick through it though, but I felt like it was a good thing so they could notice what we do. 我当时有些紧张,但是我必须坚持, 但是我感觉这是件好事, 这样他们会注意到我们所做的。
(Recording) EA: Shraivell Brown was another choreographer and dancer in "Hoods Up." (录音)伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 希瑞威尔 · 布朗是“戴上兜帽”中 另一名编舞与舞者。
choreographer:n.编舞者,舞蹈指导;
He says the police criticize people who look like him. 他说警察会批评看起来像他这样的人。
criticize:v.批评;批判;挑剔;指责;评论;评价;
He feels judged based on things other black people may have done. 他感觉他们是基于 其他黑人的所作所为对他加以评判。
How would you want the police to look at you, and what would you want them to think? 你想警察如何看待你呢? 你想他们怎样想呢? 希瑞威尔 · 布朗: 我想让他们觉得我不是威胁。
SB: That I'm not no threat. 希瑞威尔 · 布朗: 我想让他们觉得我不是威胁。
EA: Why would they think you're threatening? 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 为什么他们会觉得你是威胁的?
What did you say, you're 14? 你刚才是不是说你14岁?
are thugs or gangsters and all that, but I don't want them thinking that about me. 是恶棍或帮派分子等等, 但是我不想他们这样看我。
thugs:暴徒; gangsters:n.匪徒;黑帮;诈骗犯(gangster的复数);
EA: For folks who look like me, the easiest and most comfortable thing to do is to not pay attention -- to assume our criminal legal system is working. 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 对于像我这样的人, 最简单最容易的事就是不去关注, 去假设我们的刑事法律系统是有效的。
assume:v.承担;假定;采取;呈现;
But if it's not our responsibility to question those assumptions , whose responsibility is it? 但如果质问那些假设不是我们的责任, 那么是谁的责任呢?
assumptions:n.假定;假设;承担;获得;(assumption的复数)
There's a synagogue here that's taken on learning about mass incarceration, and many congregants have concluded that because mass incarceration throws so many lives into chaos , it actually creates more crime -- makes people less safe. 这儿有个犹太教堂 开始更多地了解大规模监禁问题, 很多教徒已经得出结论 因为大规模监禁扰乱了太多人的生命, 这实际上制造了更多犯罪, 使人们更不安全。
synagogue:n.犹太教会堂;犹太人集会; mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; congregants:n.(会议)召集人;聚会者; concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式) chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
Congregant Teri Hunter says the first step towards action has to be understanding. 教徒泰瑞 · 亨特说, 采取任何行动前的第一步必须是理解。
She says it's crucial for all of us to understand our connection to this issue even if it's not immediately obvious . 她说理解这个问题和我们所有人之间的联系 至关重要 就算不是显而易见的联系。
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行; obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
(Recording) Teri Hunter: It's on our shoulders to make sure that we're not just closing that door and saying, "Well, it's not us." (录音)泰瑞 · 亨特: 我们肩负着这样的责任, 我们要确保我们不会只是关上门 然后说,“好吧, 那不是我们”。
And I think as Jews, you know, we've lived that history: "It's not us." 作为犹太人,你知道, 我们经历过那样的历史: “那不是我们”。
And so if a society closes their back on one section, we've seen what happens. 如果一个社会对其中的一群人漠不关心, 我们知道会发生什么。
And so it is our responsibility as Jews and as members of this community to educate our community -- at least our congregation -- to the extent that we're able. 那么这就是我们的责任,作为犹太人 以及作为这个社区的成员的责任 去教育我们的社区 —— 至少我们的会众 — 尽我们的所能。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; congregation:n.集会;集合;圣会; extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
EA: I've been using the pronouns "us" and "we" 伊芙 · 阿布拉姆斯: 我使用代名词 “我们”,
pronouns:n.代词;[语]代名词;
because this is our criminal legal system and our children. 因为这是我们的刑事法律系统 这关乎我们的孩子。
We elect the district attorneys, the judges and the legislators who operate these systems for we the people. 我们选出了地区检察官、法官以及议员们, 来为我们人民运行这个系统。
legislators:n.立法委员;(legislator的复数)
As a society, we are more willing to risk locking up innocent people than we are to let guilty people go free. 作为一个社会, 我们更愿意冒将无辜的人关起来的风险, 而不愿意冒让有罪的人逍遥法外的风险。
guilty:adj.有罪的;内疚的;
We elect politicians who fear being labeled "soft on crime," 我们选举的政治家们害怕 被贴上“对犯罪手软”的标签,
politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) labeled:adj.有标签的; v.示踪; (label的过去分词和过去式)
encouraging them to pass harsh legislation and allocate enormous resources toward locking people up. 于是他们通过严厉的立法 并且动用大量的资源来将人们关起来。
harsh:adj.严厉的;严酷的;刺耳的;粗糙的;刺目的; legislation:n.立法;法律; allocate:vt.分配;拨出;使坐落于;vi.分配;指定; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
When a crime is committed , our hunger for swift retribution has fed a police culture bent on finding culprits fast, often without adequate resources to conduct thorough investigations or strict scrutiny of those investigations. 当犯罪发生时, 我们对快速惩治的渴望导致了一个 倾向快速找到罪犯的警察文化, 他们通常缺少足够的资源去进行彻底调查 或者对那些调查进行严格审查。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) swift:n.[鸟]雨燕; adj.飞快的; retribution:n.报应;惩罚;报答;报偿; culprits:n.犯人,罪犯;被控犯罪的人; adequate:adj.充足的;适当的;胜任的; conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法; thorough:adj.彻底的;十分的;周密的; investigations:n.调查(investigation的复数); scrutiny:n.详细审查;监视;细看;选票复查;
We don't put checks on prosecutors . 我们没有制约检察官。
prosecutors:n.检查官;告发者(prosecutor的复数);
Across the country, over the last couple of decades, as property and violent crimes have both fell, the number of prosecutors employed and cases they have filed has risen. 在全国各地,过去几十年, 随着财产和暴力犯罪双双下降, 受佣的检察官和他们 建立的案件数量都上升了。
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; employed:v.雇用:应用:运用:使用(employ的过去分词和过去式)
Prosecutors decide whether or not to take legal action against the people police arrest and they decide what charges to file, directly impacting how much time a defendant potentially faces behind bars. 检察官们决定是否 对警察抓捕的人采取法律行动 以及他们决定以哪种控告进行立案, 这直接影响被告可能 会在监狱呆多长时间。
whether or not:是否…; legal action:n.法律诉讼; directly:adv.直接地;立即;马上;正好地;坦率地;conj.一…就; impacting:[力]冲击;[力]撞击;[物]碰撞(impact的现在分词); defendant:adj.[法律]被告的;辩护的;n.[法律]被告人;被告方; potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地;
One check we do have on prosecutors is defense. 我们对检察官的其中一项制约就是辩护。
Imagine Lady Liberty : the blindfolded woman holding the scale meant to symbolize the balance in our judicial system. 想象一下自由女神像: 这个被朦着眼睛的女人手持天平, 那个表示我们的司法系统平衡的符号。
Liberty:n.自由;许可;冒失; blindfolded:v.(用布等)蒙住…的眼睛(blindfold的过去分词和过去式) scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢; symbolize:v.象征;是…的象征;代表;
Unfortunately , that scale is tipped . 不幸的是,那个天平倾斜了。
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; tipped:v.倾斜;倒出;倾倒;轻触;轻碰;(tip的过去分词和过去式)
The majority of defendants in our country are represented by government-appointed attorneys. 我国大部分的被告 都是由政府指派的律师代表的。
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人: defendants:n.[法]被告(defendant的复数); represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
These public defenders receive around 30 percent less funding than district attorneys do, and they often have caseloads far outnumbering what the American Bar Association recommends . 那些公共辩护律师的经费 比地区检查官低30%, 并且他们手上的案件数量 通常远超美国律师协会建议的数量。
defenders:n.后卫;防御者(defender的复数); funding:n.基金;资金;提供资金;v.为…提供资金;拨款给;(fund的现在分词) caseloads:n.待处理案件之数量; outnumbering:vt.数目超过;比…多; Association:n.协会;关联;联想;交往; recommends:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;(recommend的第三人称单数)
As Sheila Phipps said, there are people who belong in prison, but it's hard to tell the guilty from the innocent when everyone's outcomes are so similar. 正如席拉 · 菲普斯所说, 有人应当遵监狱, 但是当每个人的结果都如此相似时, 很难区分谁是应得,谁是无辜。
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
We all want justice. 我们都想要正义。
But with the process weighed so heavily against defendants, justice is hard to come by . 但是当流程如此不利于被告时, 正义是很难的。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; hard to come by:不可多得;难得;得来不易的;
Our criminal legal system operates for we the people. 我们的刑事法律系统 是为我们,为人民服务的,
If we don't like what's going on, it is up to us to change it. 如果我们不喜欢正在发生的事情, 我们就应该来改变它。
Thank you very much. 非常感谢。
(Applause) (掌声)