返回首页

EunaLee_2016X-_我在朝鲜作为一个囚犯学到了什么_

I recently read about what the young generation of workers want in Harvard Business Review. 我最近在《哈佛商業评论》中读了 探讨年轻一代工作者 想要什么的文章。
recently:adv.最近;新近; Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
One thing that stuck out to me was: don't just talk about impact , but make an impact. 一个在我脑海里出现的目标是: 不要仅仅去空谈影响, 而是要去真正地产生影响。
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
I'm a little bit older than you, maybe much older than you, but this is exactly the same goal that I had when I was in college. 我比你们年龄大一些, 可能比你们大很多, 但它同样也是我在 大学时定下的目标。
I wanted to make my own impact for those who live under injustice; it's the reason that I became a documentary journalist , the reason I became a prisoner in North Korea for 140 days. 我想要影响那些生活在 不公正的环境下的人们; 这是我成为一名纪录片记者的原因, 也是我曾被囚禁于朝鲜长达 140 天的原因。
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
It was March 17, 2009. 那天是 2009 年 3 月 17 日。
It is St. Patrick's Day for all of you, but it was the day that turned my life upside down . 是所有人的圣派翠克节, 但那一天成为了逆转我人生的日子。
upside down:adj.颠倒的;乱七八糟的;
My team and I were making a documentary about North Korean refugees living below human life in China. 我和我的团队当时正在录制一部关于 在中国艰难度日的朝鲜难民的纪录片。
Korean:n.朝鲜族;韩国人;朝鲜话;adj.朝鲜的;朝鲜族的;朝鲜话的; refugees:n.避难者;逃亡者;难民;(refugee的复数)
We were at the border. 我们在边境上。
It was our last day of filming. 那一天是我们拍摄的最后一天。
There was no wire fence or bars or sign to show that it is the border, but this is a place that a lot of North Korean defectors use as an escape route . 那里没有铁丝网, 或者栅栏, 或者显示这里是边界的标志, 而这个地方,很多朝鲜逃兵 把它当作一条逃生路线。
defectors:n.叛逃者(defector的复数形式);背叛者; route:n.路线;路途;固定线路;途径;v.按某路线发送;
It was still winter, and the river was frozen. 那天还仍然处于冬季, 河流被冰封了。
When we were in the middle of the frozen river, we were filming about the condition of the cold weather and the environment that North Koreans had to deal with when they seek their freedom. 当我们在冻河中间时, 我们还正在录制关于寒冷气候的情况, 以及当朝鲜人寻求他们的自由时, 他们不得不面对的环境。
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
And suddenly, one of my team members shouted, "Soldiers!" 突然间,一名队友大声地喊叫, 「士兵!」
So I looked back, and there were two small soldiers in green uniforms with rifles , chasing after us. 所以我回头看, 看到了有两个穿着绿色制服 并且背着步枪的小士兵, 正追逐着我们。
uniforms:n.制服;军服;军人;v.使穿制服;(uniform的复数第三人称单词) rifles:n.[军]步枪(rifle复数);来福枪;卡宾枪;
We all ran as fast as we could. 我们所有人都在竭力奔跑。
I prayed that, please don't let them shoot my head. 我祈祷着,希望他们不要枪击我的头部。
And I was thinking that, if my feet are on Chinese soil, 并且我当时想着, 如果我的双脚能踏入中国的领土上,
I'll be safe. 我就安全了。
And I made it to Chinese soil. 我及时赶到了中国的领土上。
Then I saw my colleague Laura Ling fall on her knees. 然后我看到了我的同事 Laura Ling 摔倒了。
colleague:n.同事,同僚;
I didn't know what to do at that short moment, but I knew that I could not leave her alone there when she said, "Euna, I can't feel my legs." 在那短短的一刻,我手足无措, 但当她说:「Euna 我的腿失去知觉了。」, 我明白我绝不能扔下孤立无援的她。
In a flash , we were surrounded by these two Korean soldiers. 在那一瞬间,我们被 这两名朝鲜士兵包围了。
In a flash:瞬间;立刻;
They were not much bigger than us, but they were determined to take us to their army base. 他们并不比我们高大太多, 但他们决定押送我们 去他们的军事基地。
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
I begged and yelled for any kind of help, hoping that someone would show up from China. 我乞求并且大声叫喊以寻求各种幫助, 希望中国领土那边能有人拔刀相助。
Here I was, being stubborn towards a trained soldier with a gun. 我那时,十分固执, 即使面对着一个手握 枪支、受过训练的士兵。
stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的;
I looked at his eyes. 我盯着他的双眼。
He was just a boy. 他只是个男孩。
At that moment, he raised his rifle to hit me, but I saw that he was hesitating . 在那时,他举起了步枪想要打我, 但我看见了他在犹豫。
hesitating:v.犹豫,迟疑不决;顾虑;疑虑;(hesitate的现在分词)
His eyes were shaking, and his rifle was still up in the air . 他的双眼在颤抖, 他仍然举着步枪,瞄准我。
still up in the air:命运仍然悬而未决;
So I shouted at him, "OK, OK, I'll walk with you." 所以我朝他大声的喊道, 「好的好的,我会和你走的。」
And I got up. 然后我跟着他走了。
When we arrived at their army base, my head was spinning with these worst-case scenarios , and my colleague's statement wasn't helping. 当我们到达他们的军事基地时, 对各种极其糟糕的情形, 我感到天旋地转, 我同事的言论也没有任何幫助。
spinning:n.纺纱(手艺):纺线v.(使)旋转:纺线:纺纱;(spin的现在分词) worst-case:adj.作最坏打算的;最糟情况的; scenarios:n.情节;脚本;情景介绍(scenario的复数); statement:n.声明;陈述,叙述;报表,清单;
She said, "We are the enemy." 她说:「我们是敌人。」
She was right: we were the enemy. 她是对的,我们是敌人。
And I was supposed to be frightened , too. 我感到害怕也是理所当然。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) frightened:adj.害怕的;受惊的;惊吓的;v.使惊吓;使惊恐;(frighten的过去分词和过去式)
But I kept having these odd experiences. 但我一直经历各种奇怪的事情。
odd:adj.古怪的;奇数的;n.奇数;
This time, an officer brought me his coat to keep me warm, because I lost my coat on the frozen river while battling with one of these soldiers. 这一次,一名军官 给我一件他的大衣 让我保持温暖, 因为之前我在那条冻河上 与其中一名士兵争执时, 丢失了自己的大衣。
I will tell you what I mean by these odd experiences. 通过告诉你们这些奇怪的经历, 我会说明我想表达的意思。
I grew up in South Korea. 我在韩国长大。
To us, North Korea was always the enemy, even before I was born. 对我们来说,朝鲜一直都是敌人, 甚至在我出生以前就如此。
South and North have been under armistice for 63 years, since the end of the Korean War. 朝鲜和韩国从朝鲜战争结束以来 已经停战 63 年了。
armistice:n.停战,休战;休战协议;
And growing up in the South in the '80s and '90s, we were taught propaganda about North Korea. 在韩国的八、九十年代长大, 我们被灌输一些对朝鲜的政治宣传。
propaganda:n.宣传;传道总会;
And we heard so many graphic stories, such as, a little young boy being brutally killed by North Korean spies just because he said, "I don't like communists ." 我们听到过很多生动细致的故事, 例如,一个小男孩被朝鲜的间谍 残忍地杀害了, 仅仅因为他说:「我不喜欢共产党员。」
graphic:adj.形象的;图表的;绘画似的; brutally:adv.残忍地;野蛮地;兽性地; communists:n.共产党员(communist的复数形式);
Or, I watched this cartoon series about a young South Korean boy defeating these fat, big, red pig, which represented the North Koreans' first leader at the time. 或者,我看过这个卡通连续剧, 讲述了一个韩国男孩击败 这些膘肥体壮的红色的猪, 牠代表着朝鲜当时的第一届领导人。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
And the effect of hearing these horrible stories over and over instilled one word in a young mind: "enemy." 一遍又一遍地听到这些 恐怖的故事所带来的影响, 最后会将一个词语 灌入小孩子的脑袋中: 「敌人。」
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的, over and over:反复;再三; instilled:v.逐渐灌输,逐步培养(感受、思想或行为);(instill的过去式和过去分词)
And I think at some point, I dehumanized them, and the people of North Korea became equated with the North Korean government. 某一时期,我甚至 把他们等同于衣冠禽兽, 并把「朝鲜人」等同于「朝鲜政府」。
dehumanized:v.使丧失人性;使无人性;(dehumanize的过去分词和过去式) equated:vt.使相等;视为平等;vi.等同;
Now, back to my detention . 现在,回到我的拘留的日子。
detention:n.拘留;延迟;挽留;
It was the second day of being in a cell. 那是我待在牢房里的第二天,
I had not slept since I was out at the border. 自从离开边境,我一直未眠。
This young guard came to my cell and offered me this small boiled egg and said, "This will give you strength to keep going." 一名年轻的看守来到我的牢房, 给了我一枚小小的煮鸡蛋, 并且对我说: 「这将会给你带来前行的力量。」
Do you know what it is like, receiving a small kindness in the enemy's hand? 你知道从敌人的手中 得到一份小小的仁慈, 这种感觉像什么吗?
Whenever they were kind to me, I thought the worst case was waiting for me after the kindness. 每当他们十分善意地对待我时, 我总会想:宁静之后, 暴风雨将会猛烈降临。
One officer noticed my nervousness . 一名军官注意到了我的紧张与不安。
nervousness:n.神经质;[心理]神经过敏;紧张不安;
He said, "Did you think we were all these red pigs?" 他说:「你曾经认为我们 都是那些红色的猪吗?」
referring to the cartoon that I just showed you. 就是我之前提及过的那个卡通。
referring:v.引用;提到;将…归因于…;把…提交;(refer的现在分词)
Every day was like a psychological battle. 每一天过得都像是 一场心理上的斗争。
psychological:adj.心理的;心理学的;精神上的;
The interrogator had me sit at a table six days a week and had me writing down about my journey , my work, over and over until I wrote down the confession that they wanted to hear. 一周中有六天,审讯者 让我坐在一个桌子前, 让我写下我的旅途、我的工作, 一次又一次,直到我写下 他们想要听到的供词。
interrogator:n.质问者;询问机; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; confession:n.忏悔,告解;供认;
After about three months of detention, the North Korean court sentenced me to 12 years in a labor camp. 在差不多三个月的牢狱后, 朝鲜法庭判决我 在劳改所呆 12 年。
So I was just sitting in my room to be transferred . 所以我当时只是坐在 我的房间里等待移送。
transferred:v.(使)转移,搬迁;(使)调动;(transfer的过去分词和过去式)
At that time, I really had nothing else to do, so I paid attention to these two female guards and listened to what they were talking about. 在那一刻,我真的 没有其他事情可以做了, 所以我开始留意两名女看守, 并且听她们正在说什么。
female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
Guard A was older, and she studied English. 看守 A 的年龄更大一些, 她学过英语。
She seemed like she came from an affluent family. 她似乎来自于一个富裕的家庭。
affluent:adj.富裕的;丰富的;流畅的;n.支流;富人;
She often showed up with these colorful dresses, and then loved to show off. 她经常穿着五颜六色的衣衫露面, 然后就喜欢炫耀。
And Guard B was the younger one, and she was a really good singer. 然而看守 B 要年轻一些, 她有副好嗓子。
She loved to sing Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On" -- sometimes too much. 她爱唱席琳 · 迪翁的「我心永恒」, 但有时候太过分了。
She knew just how to torture me without knowing. 有时这对我是一种 折磨,而她浑然不觉。
torture:v.折磨;拷问;歪曲;n.折磨;拷问;歪曲;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And this girl spent a lot of time in the morning to put on makeup , like you can see in any young girl's life. 这个女孩早上花费大量的时间去化妆, 就像你所见的任何年轻姑娘一样。
makeup:n.化妆品;组成;补充;补考;
And they loved to watch this Chinese drama , a better quality production. 并且她们十分喜欢观看中国电视剧, 一种更高品质的作品。
drama:n.戏剧;戏剧艺术;戏剧文学;戏剧性事件;
I remember Guard B said, "I can no longer watch our TV shows after watching this." 我记得看守 B 说, 「我看过中国电视剧后 便看不下我们的电视节目了。」
She got scolded for degrading her own country's produced TV shows. 她因为贬低祖国出品的 电视节目而受到了责駡。
scolded:v.训斥,责骂(孩子);(scold的过去分词和过去式) degrading:adj.降低身份的; v.降低…身份; (degrade的现在分词)
Guard B had more of a free mind than Guard A, and she often got scolded by Guard A whenever she expressed herself. 看守 B 的思想比看守 A 更加开明, 每当她抒发内心意见时, 经常会被看守 A 责駡。
expressed:v.表示;表达;显而易见;不言自明;(express的过去分词和过去式)
One day, they invited all these female colleagues -- 有一天,她们邀请了些女同事──
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
I don't know where they came from -- to where I was held, and they invited me to their guard room and asked if one-night stands really happen in the US. 我不知道她们来自于何方── 到我被关押的地方, 然后她们邀请我 去她们的看守室, 然后问道: 在美国真的有「一夜情」吗?
(Laughter) (笑声)
This is the country where young couples are not even allowed to hold hands in public. 在这个国家,年轻 情侣们甚至都不被允许 在公众场合牵手。
I had no idea where they had gotten this information, but they were shy and giggly even before I said anything. 我不知道她们是从 哪儿获取到这个资讯的, 但是她们甚至在我回答之前, 就开始很害羞地傻笑。
giggly:adj.吃吃笑的,傻笑的;
I think we all forgot that I was their prisoner, and it was like going back to my high school classroom again. 我想我们都忘记了我是他们的囚犯, 这就好像又一次回到高中课堂一样。
And I learned that these girls also grew up watching a similar cartoon, but just propaganda towards South Korea and the US. 我瞭解到这些女孩同样是看着 相似的卡通成长起来的, 不过是对韩国和美国的政治宣传。
I started to understand where these people's anger was coming from. 我开始理解这些人的 愤怒是来自于哪里了。
If these girls grew up learning that we are enemies, it was just natural that they would hate us just as I feared them. 如果这些女孩子们成长时 认为我们是敌人, 她们会自然而然地仇恨我们, 就好像我畏惧她们一样。
But at that moment, we were all just girls who shared the same interests, beyond our ideologies that separated us. 但在那个时刻,我们都只是普通女孩, 有着同样的兴趣, 不再囿于成见。
ideologies:意识形态;
I shared these stories with my boss at Current TV at the time after I came home. 我回家后,向所属电视台的 领导分享了那时的经历。
His first reaction was, "Euna, have you heard of Stockholm Syndrome ?" 他的第一反应是: 「Euna,你听说过 斯德哥尔摩综合征吗?」
reaction:n.反应,感应;反动,复古;反作用; Stockholm:n.斯德哥尔摩(瑞典首都); Syndrome:n.[临床]综合征;综合症状;并发症状;校验子;并发位;
Yes, and I clearly remember the feeling of fear and being threatened, and tension rising up between me and the interrogator when we talked about politics . 是的,并且我清晰地记得 那种畏惧的感觉, 还有被威胁的感觉, 以及当我和审讯官谈论到政治时 产生的紧张感。
tension:n.张力;拉伸;矛盾;紧张局势(或关系,状况);v.绷紧; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
There definitely was a wall that we couldn't climb over. 那里显然有一堵 我们不能跨越的墙。
definitely:adv.清楚地,当然;明确地,肯定地;
But we were able to see each other as human beings when we talked about family, everyday life, the importance of the future for our children. 但是同为人类, 我们能够去理解对方, 当我们谈论到家庭、 日常生活、 以及儿女们的未来的重要性。
It was about a month before I came home. 大概在我回家之前的一个月,
I got really sick. 我病得有点重。
Guard B stopped by my room to say goodbye, because she was leaving the detention center. 看守 B 停在我的牢房前和我道别, 因为她正从看守所离职。
She made sure that no one watched us, no one heard us, and quietly said, "I hope you get better and go back to your family soon." 她确信没有人在偷看, 没有人在窃听, 然后悄悄地对我说, 「我希望你早日痊愈, 然后尽快地回到你的家庭中。」
It is these people -- the officer who brought me his coat, the guard who offered me a boiled egg, these female guards who asked me about dating life in the US -- they are the ones that I remember of North Korea: humans just like us. 正是这些人── 给我大衣的军官, 给我一个煮鸡蛋的看守, 这些问我在美国的恋爱生活的女看守── 他们是我记忆中的朝鲜人, 和我们一样的普通人。
North Koreans and I were not ambassadors of our countries, but I believe that we were representing the human race . 那些朝鲜人和我都不是 各自国家的代表, 但是我相信我们都是人类的代表。
ambassadors:n.大使(ambassador的复数形式); representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词) human race:n.人类;
Now I'm back home and back to my life. 现在我又回到我的家庭、我的生活,
The memory of these people has blurred as time has passed. 这些人的影像也随着 时光消逝而模糊不清。
blurred:adj.模糊不清的; v.玷污; (blur的过去式和过去分词)
And I'm in this place where I read and hear about North Korea provoking the US. 现在我在这个地方 读到朝鲜挑衅着美国的说法,
provoking:adj.刺激的;令人生气的,激怒人的;v.激怒;挑拨;诱发(provoke的ing形式);
I realized how easy it is to see them as an enemy again. 我意识到我们多麽容易 再次以敌人的视角来看待他们。
But I have to keep reminding myself that when I was over there, 但我必须时刻提醒自己
reminding:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的现在分词)
I was able to see humanity over hatred in my enemy's eyes. 能在我的「敌人」眼里看到, 比起憎恶,更多的是人性。 比起憎恶,更多的是人性。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶;
Thank you. 谢谢你。
(Applause) (掌声)