返回首页

EthanZuckerman_2010G-_聆听全球之声_

I'm an American, which means, generally , 我是美国人
generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地;
I ignore football unless it involves guys my size or Bruno's size running into each other at extremely high speeds. 所以我通常不看足球 除非有像我这个块头的人 在场上高速跑动,并时不时的撞在一起。
ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬; involves:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加,加入(involve的第三人称单数) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
That said, it's been really hard to ignore football for the last couple of weeks. 虽说如此,但是 过去几周 你要想不关注足球都很难。
I go onto Twitter, there are all these strange words that I've never heard before: 一上twitter,我就看到各种各样从未听过的奇怪的名词
FIFA , vuvuzela , weird jokes about octopi . FIFA, vuvuzela, 还有关于 octopi 的古怪笑话
FIFA:n.费法(已裂变原子数与初始装料易裂变原子数之比); vuvuzela:n.呜呜祖拉; weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神; octopi:n.章鱼;章鱼肉;
But the one that's really been sort of stressing me out, that I haven't been able to figure out, is this phrase "Cala a boca, Galvao." 而其中最让我摸不着头脑的 至今没搞明白的 就是 Cala a boca, Galvao. 这句话
If you've gone onto Twitter in the last couple of weeks, you've probably seen this. 假如过去几周你曾上过twitter的话 应该都看过这句话
It's been a major trending topic. 因为它已经成了一个热门话题了
trending:n.[统计]趋势;v.伸向;趋向;(trend的现在分词)
Being a monolingual American, I obviously don't know what the phrase means. 作为只懂一门语言的美国人,我显然不知道这话是什么意思
monolingual:adj.单语的;仅用一种语言的;仅懂一种语言的;n.只用一种语言的人;
So I went onto Twitter, and I asked some people if they could explain to me "Cala a boca, Galvao." 于是我就来到twitter 我问是否有人能告诉我这是啥意思
And fortunately , my Brazilian friends were more than ready to help. 幸运的是,我的巴西朋友们 非常乐意帮忙
fortunately:adv.幸运地;
They explained that the Galvao bird is a rare and endangered parrot that's in terrible, terrible danger. 他们告诉我说,Galvao 是 一种罕见并且濒临灭绝的鹦鹉 并且是少的不行、马上就要灭绝的那种
endangered:v.使遭危险;危及;危害;(endanger的过去分词和过去式)
In fact, I'll let them tell you a bit more about it. 我还是让他们来说吧
Narrator : A word about Galvao, a very rare kind of bird native to Brazil . 下面我跟大家讲Galvao的故事 它是巴西原产的一种非常珍稀的鸟类
Narrator:n.讲述者;(电视节目中的)幕后解说员;旁白员; native:adj.本国的;土著的;天然的;与生俱来的;天赋的;n.本地人;土产;当地居民; Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
Every year, more than 300,000 Galvao birds are killed during Carnival parades . 每一年嘉年华游行的时候 都会有30万只Galvao鸟被残害
Carnival:n.狂欢节,嘉年华会;饮宴狂欢; parades:n.游行;陈列;检阅(parade的复数);v.在…游行;在…散步(parade的三单形式);
Ethan Zuckerman: Obviously, this is a tragic situation, and it actually gets worse. 这很显然是一桩悲剧 并且情况正变得更糟
tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
It turns out that, not only is the Galvao parrot very attractive , useful for headdresses , it evidently has certain hallucinogenic properties, which means that there's a terrible problem with Galvao abuse . 这种鸟不但非常漂亮 羽毛可以用来做头饰 并且它还能用来做迷幻药。 这就是说一旦落到坏人手中, Galvan就可能被滥用。
attractive:adj.吸引人的;有魅力的;引人注目的; headdresses:n.头发编梳的式样;饰头巾; evidently:adv.显然,明显地;清楚地; hallucinogenic:adj.引起幻觉的;迷幻药的; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂;
Some sick and twisted people have found themselves snorting Galvao. 有些病态心理的人还拿Galvao的毛放在鼻子上弄响当口哨。
twisted:adj.扭曲的; v.使弯曲,使扭曲; (twist的过去分词和过去式) snorting:v.喷鼻息,哼;用鼻子吸(毒品);(snort的现在分词)
And it's terribly endangered. 这种鸟的处境非常严峻
The good news about this is that the global community -- again, my Brazilian friends tell me -- is pitching in to help out. 好消息是 ——这也是我的巴西朋友告诉我的 全球的人都伸出援手来帮助这种鸟
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; pitching:n.(船的)纵摇或前后簸动; v.用力扔; (pitch的现在分词)
It turns out that Lady Gaga has released a new single -- actually five or six new singles, as near as I can tell -- titled "Cala a boca, Galvao." 包括Lady Gaga 也出版了新的单曲 事实上应该是有五六个单曲,我能记得的有这么多 标题都是 Cala a boca, Galvao.
Gaga:adj.天真地;老朽的;狂热的;疯疯癫癫的;n.疯子;老糊涂; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
And my Brazilian friends tell me that if I just tweet the phrase "Cala a boca, Galvao," 我的巴西朋友就告诉我说 只要我在twitter上推 Cala a boca, Galvao, 这几个词
10 cents will be given to a global campaign to save this rare and beautiful bird. 就会有10美分会被捐助到一个 拯救濒危鸟类Galvao的 全球行动中
Now, most of you have figured out that this was a prank , and actually a very, very good one. 现在你们大概可以猜得到这是一个笑话 不过它又是一个非常好的笑话
prank:n.玩笑;恶作剧
'"Cala a boca, Galvao" actually means something very different. 实际上, Cala a boca, Galvao 有其他非常不一样的含义
In Portugese, it means "Shut your mouth, Galvao." 在葡萄牙语里,它的意思是:“闭上你的嘴”
And it specifically refers to this guy, Galvao Bueno , who's the lead soccer commentator for Rede Globo. 并且它是专指这位叫 Galvao Brueno 的先生 他是Rede Globo 的 首席足球评论员
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; refers:v.谈及;提到;提及;涉及;描述;(refer的第三人称单数) Bueno:n.甲酮钠除草剂; commentator:n.评论员,解说员;实况播音员;时事评论者;
And what I understand from my Brazilian friends is that this guy is just a cliche machine. 我从巴西朋友那里听到的是 这家伙只会讲陈词滥调
cliche:n.陈词滥调;[印刷]铅版;陈腐思想;adj.陈腐的;
He can ruin the most interesting match by just spouting cliche again and again and again. 他一张嘴就会使最精彩的比赛 变得淡然无味
ruin:n.废墟;毁坏;灭亡;v.毁灭;使破产; spouting:n.喷射; v.喷射; again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
So Brazilians went to that first match against North Korea, put up this banner , started a Twitter campaign and tried to convince the rest of us to tweet the phrase: "Cala a boca, Galvao." 在巴西对朝鲜的第一场比赛时 球迷们举起了这个横幅 并且在Twitter上发起一个运动 尝试说服其他人 转发这句话
banner:n.横幅;adj.为首的;(美)突出地支持(某一政党)的; convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说;
And in fact, were so successful at this that it topped Twitter for two weeks. 他们的行为影响范围 甚大 还连续两周占据了Twitter潮流榜榜首
Now there's a couple -- there's a couple of lessons that you can take from this. 从这个故事中 我们可以学到几样东西
And the first lesson, which I think is a worthwhile one, is that you cannot go wrong asking people to be active online, so long as activism just means retweeting a phrase. 第一个是 让人们在网上参与一些事情 是不会有错的 只要这样的参与只是转发一句话而已
worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的; so long as:adv.只要; activism:n.行动主义;激进主义;
So as long as activism is that simple, it's pretty easy to get away with . 假如行动就那么简单 那是很容易处理的
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; get away with:侥幸成功,侥幸逃脱;
The other thing you can take from this, by the way , is that there are a lot of Brazilians on Twitter. 另外一个你可以从此事了解到的事实 就是很多巴西人在使用Twitter
by the way:顺便说一下;
There's more than five million of them. 估计有超过500万的巴西人在用
As far as national representation , 11 percent of Brazilian internet users are on Twitter. 就看这个图表分析吧 有11%的巴西网民使用Twitter
As far as:至于…; representation:n.表现;代表;描述;陈述
That's a much higher number than in the U.S. or U.K. 这比英国或美国的使用比例还高
Next to Japan, it's the second most represented by population. 仅次于日本 巴西也是Twitter使用人数第二多的国家
represented:v.代表; (represent的过去式和过去分词)
Now if you're using Twitter or other social networks, and you didn't realize this was a space with a lot of Brazilians in it, you're like most of us. 假如你在使用Twitter或其他社交网站 但是你没有意识到 那里有很多的巴西人 那你跟我们大多数人一样
Because what happens on a social network is you interact with the people that you have chosen to interact with. 因为在社交网站上 你会跟别人打交道 这些人都是你自己选择的
interact:v.互相影响;互相作用;n.幕间剧;幕间休息;
And if you are like me, a big, geeky , white, American guy, you tend to interact with a lot of other geeky , white, American guys. 假如你像我一样,是个大块头、热爱技术的美国白人 你应当还是会跟那些长得很胖并且也比较喜欢技术的白种美国人打交道
geeky:adj.(俚)令人讨厌的;
And you don't necessarily have the sense that Twitter is in fact a very heavily Brazilian space. 甚至不知道,原来有那么多巴西人 活跃在Twitter上
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
It's also extremely surprising to many Americans, a heavily African-American space. 另一个让很多美国人想不到的事实是 Twitter上面也有很多美国黑人
African-American:非洲裔美国人(指美国黑人);
Twitter recently did some research. Twitter最近做了一项研究
recently:adv.最近;新近;
They looked at their local population. 对当地的Twitter用户进行了分析
They believe that 24 percent of American Twitter users are African-American. 他们发现,24%的美国Twitter用户 都是非洲裔美国人
That's about twice as high as African-Americans are represented in the population. 这是非洲裔美国人占全国人口比例的 两倍
And again, that was very shocking to many Twitter users, but it shouldn't be. 很多Twitter用户听到这个数字也许会下一跳 但这本不该如此
And the reason it shouldn't be is that on any day you can go into Trending Topics. 事实上 任何时候,你登录Twitter去看当天的热门话题
And you tend to find topics that are almost entirely African-American conversations. 你会发现很多几乎就是 在非洲裔美国人中间发生的对话
This was a visualization done by Fernando Viegas and Martin Wattenberg, two amazing visualization designers, who looked at a weekend's worth of Twitter traffic 这是 Fernando Viegas 和Martin Wattenberg 画的一个图 他们两位都是非常杰出的视觉设计师 他们研究了 一个周末的Twitter服务器的流量
visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心;
and essentially found that a lot of these trending topics were basically segregated conversations -- and in ways that you wouldn't expect. 发现很多的热门话题都 呈现种族隔离趋势 而且是以你意想不到的方式出现
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; segregated:adj.被隔离的;v.隔离(segregate的过去式);分离;
It turns out that oil spill is a mostly white conversation, that cookout is a mostly black conversation. 例如漏油事故基本都是在白人的圈子里讨论 而露天烧烤 则基本是黑人圈子的话题
spill:v.溢出;涌出;蜂拥而出;n.跌落;洒出(量);泼出(量);溢出(量); cookout:n.(美)野外郊游时烹调的野餐;野烹食物;adj.野外烹饮聚会的;
And what's crazy about this is that if you wanted to mix up who you were seeing on Twitter, it's literally a quick click away. 最为疯狂的是 假如你想在Twitter上看到不一样的人 用鼠标点几下就行了
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
You click on that cookout tag , there an entirely different conversation with different people participating in it. 点一下“露天烧烤”这个标签,马上就能看到很不一样的对话 参与的人跟你自己很不一样
tag:n.标记;标签;标志;标牌;v.给…加上标签;把…称作;给…起诨名; participating:v.参加;参与(participate的现在分词)
But generally speaking, most of us don't. 但一般来说,我们这里大多数人不会那么做
We end up within these filter bubbles , as my friend Eli Pariser calls them, where we see the people we already know and the people who are similar to the people we already know. 我们通常把自己关在一个过滤气泡里,这是我的朋友 Eli Pariser 的说法 看到的只是一些我们已经认识的朋友 以及一些跟我们已经认识的朋友很相似的人
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行; bubbles:n.泡; v.起泡; (bubble的第三人称单数和复数)
And we tend not to see that wider picture. 我们看不到一个更大的世界
Now for me, I'm surprised by this, because this wasn't how the internet was supposed to be. 我却对此感到非常的惊讶 因为互联网的初衷并不是这样
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
If you go back into the early days of the internet, when cyber-utopians like Nick Negroponte were writing big books like "Being Digital ," 假如我们回到早期的互联网 当尼哥罗庞蒂那样的先知们 写《数字化生存》那样的书的时候
early days:初期;为时尚早;前期; Digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
the prediction was that the internet was going to be an incredibly powerful force to smooth out cultural differences, to put us all on a common field of one fashion or another. 他们的预言是 互联网会成为一种强大的力量 会将文化间的差异抹平 让我们所有人过上同样的生活
prediction:n.预报;预言; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; smooth out:消除;使平滑; cultural:adj.与文化有关的;文化的;与艺术、文学、音乐等有关的;
Negroponte started his book with a story about how hard it is to build connections in the world of atoms . 尼哥罗庞蒂的这本书是以一个故事开始的 他提到在原子世界里 建立彼此关系很困难
atoms:n.[物]原子(atom的复数);
He's at a technology conference in Florida. 他参加在佛罗里达的一个科技会议的时候
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
And he's looking at something really, truly absurd , which is bottles of Evian water on the table. 他看到了桌面有一瓶Evian水 那是相当古怪的事情
absurd:adj.荒谬的;可笑的;n.荒诞;荒诞作品;
And Negroponte says this is crazy. 尼哥罗庞蒂说,这是疯狂的
This is the old economy . 这是旧经济的做法
economy:n.经济;节约;理财;
It's the economy of moving these heavy, slow atoms over long distances that's very difficult to do. 那是将东西搬来搬去的经济 要把很沉的原子以很慢的速度搬到很远的地方,这太困难了
We're heading to the future of bits, where everything is speedy , it's weightless . 我们的未来是比特的世界 那个世界是所有东西都非常迅速,也几乎没有重量
speedy:adj.快的;迅速的;敏捷的; weightless:adj.失重的;无重量的;
It can be anywhere in the world at any time. 任意时刻,比特都可以在世界的任何一个地方
And it's going to change the world as we know it. 这将改变整个世界
Now, Negroponte has been right about a lot of things. 尼哥罗庞蒂确实说对了很多东西
He's totally wrong about this one. 但在这一点上,他却完全错了
It turns out that in many cases atoms are much more mobile than bits. 事实上,在很多时候 原子要比比特更具移动性
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的;
If I walk into a store in the United States, it's very, very easy for me to buy water that's bottled in Fiji, shipped at great expense to the United States. 比方说我去到美国任意一家商店 很容易可以买到 来自斐济的纯净水 虽然那要花费高昂的运费
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) expense:n.费用;开支;花费;开销;
It's actually surprisingly hard for me to see a Fijian feature film . 但如果我想看一部斐济的故事片 却是极其困难的一件事
surprisingly:adv.令人惊讶地;出乎意料地 feature film:n.故事片;
It's really difficult for me to listen to Fijian music. 也很难听到斐济音乐
It's extremely difficult for me to get Fijian news, which is strange, because actually there's an enormous amount going on in Fiji. 我也很难获取关于斐济的新闻 这本身很奇怪,因为斐济有很多事情在发生
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
There's a coup government. There's a military government. 那里发生了政变,出现了军政府
coup:n.政变; v.使…颠倒; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
There's crackdowns on the press. 该国的新闻出版也遭到了钳制
crackdowns:n.镇压;(美)制裁;强制取缔;惩罚;
It's actually a place that we probably should be paying attention to at the moment. 那也许正是我们此刻 该关注的地方
Here's what I think is going on. 我认为其实是这么一回事
I think that we tend to look a lot at the infrastructure of globalization . 我们以往 特别关注全球化的 一些基础设施建设
infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; globalization:n.全球化;
We look at the framework that makes it possible to live in this connected world. 我们关注有哪些技术构架 使得全球化成为可能
And that's a framework that includes things like airline routes . 这些构架就包括国际航空线
airline:n.航空公司; routes:n.路线;途径;路途;渠道;v.按某路线发送;(route的第三人称单数和复数)
It includes things like the Internet cables . 包括互联网电缆
cables:n.缆绳;钢索;电缆;电报;v.发电报;(cable的第三人称单数和复数)
We look at a map like this one, and it looks like the entire world is flat because everything is a hop or two away. 假如我们看看这一幅地图 似乎整个地球都是平的 因为从A到B通常可以直飞或转机就到
hop:n.啤酒花;单足短距离跳跃;;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;突然快速去某处;
You can get on a flight in London, you can end up in Bangalore later today. 在伦敦上飞机 当天就可以到达班加罗尔了
Two hops , you're in Suva, the capitol of Fiji. 假如转一次机,你就能到达斐济首都苏瓦
hops:n.啤酒花; capitol:n.美国国会大厦;(美国)州议会大厦;
It's all right there. 这本身非常棒
When you start looking at what actually flows on top of these networks, you get a very different picture. 但假如你仔细观察在这些线路上 流动的是什么 你看到的将会是很不一样的图景
You start looking at how the global plane flights move, and you suddenly discover that the world isn't even close to flat. 仔细观察国际航班的 踪迹 你会发现这个世界甚至远远讲不上是平的呢
It's extremely lumpy . 这个世界相当的起伏不平
lumpy:adj.粗笨的;波浪起伏的;多块状物的;
There are parts of the world that are very, very well connected . 有些地方之间连接的很好
well connected:adj.有好亲戚的;出身名门的;血统关系好的;精心构思的;
There's basically a giant pathway in the sky between London and New York. 比如伦敦和纽约之间就有 非常庞大的空中交通往来
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 pathway:n.路,道;途径,路径;
but look at this map, and you can watch this for, you know, two or three minutes. 但你看这个地图 看上三两分钟
You won't see very many planes go from South America to Africa. 你会发现 从南美到非洲就几乎没什么空中往来了
South America:n.南美洲;
And you'll discover that there are parts of the globe that are systematically cut off. 还有一些地区是 被系统性的割裂开了
systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地;
When we stop looking at the infrastructure that makes connection possible, and we look at what actually happens, we start realizing that the world doesn't work quite the same way that we think it does. 当我们把注意力从基础设施转向人 去观察一些发生在现实中的事情 我们会发现,这个世界并不是 像我们所想象那样运转的
So here's the problem that I've been interested in in the last decade or so. 这就是我最近十年 在关心的一个事情
The world is, in fact, getting more global. 这个世界正变得越来越全球化
It's getting more connected. 彼此之间联系越来越紧密
More of problems are global in scale . 更多的问题开始变得全球化
scale:n.规模;比例;鳞;刻度;天平;数值范围;v.衡量;攀登;剥落;生水垢;
More of our economics is global in scale. 经济活动也日益全球化
And our media is less global by the day . 但是我们的媒体却走得离全球化越来越远
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; by the day:按日;按日计算;
If you watched a television broadcast in the United States in the 1970s, 35 to 40 percent of it would have been international news on a nightly new broadcast. 假如你在70年代的时候 看任一美国晚间电视新闻 会发现有35%到40%的国际新闻内容
broadcast:v.广播; n.广播节目; adj.[无线]播音的; nightly:adj.夜间的;每夜的;adv.每夜;
That's down to about 12 to 15 percent. 现在只有12%到15%
And this tends to give us a very distorted view of the world. 这带给我们的是一个不够真实的世界
distorted:adj.歪曲的;受到曲解的;v.扭曲(distort的过去式和过去分词);
Here's a slide that Alisa Miller showed at a previous TED Talk. 这是一张Alisa Miller在之前的TED演讲中展示的图片
Miller:n.磨坊主;磨坊工人; previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
Alisa's the president of Public Radio International. Alisa是Public Radio全球的总裁
And she made a cartogram, which is basically a distorted map based on what American television news casts looked at for a month. 她做了一张统计图,实际上就是一张变了形的世界地图 是基于美国电视新闻 一个月内 所关注的新闻发生地而绘制的
And you see that when you distort a map based on attention, the world within American television news is basically reduced to this giant bloated U.S. 你可以看到,当我们基于新闻关注点来勾画世界地图时 我们发现 美国电视新闻所关注的 基本就是这个严重膨胀的美国
bloated:adj.膨胀的; v.(使)膨胀,肿胀; (bloat的过去分词和过去式)
and a couple of other countries which we've invaded . 以及其他几个曾被美国侵略过的国家
invaded:v.入侵;拥入;遍布(invade的过去分词);adj.被侵入的;
And that's basically what our media is about. 这两者基本就是美国媒体关注的重心
And before you conclude that this is just a function of American TV news -- which is dreadful , and I agree that it's dreadful -- 也许你认为这仅仅是美国电视新闻的状况 很糟糕的一种状况,我也承认这一事实
conclude:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定) dreadful:adj.可怕的;糟透的,令人不快的;
I've been mapping elite media like the New York Times, and I get the same thing. 不过同时我也考察了一些精英媒体,如《纽约时报》 但是得出的是基本一致的结论
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物;
When you look at the New York Times, you look at other elite media, what you largely get are pictures of very wealthy nations and the nations we've invaded. 不管是纽约时报还是其他的精英媒体 他们所报道的也基本是超级发达国家 以及被美国侵略的国家的新闻
largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地;
It turns out that new media isn't necessarily helping us all that much. 甚至是新媒体也 没有带来很大的改变
Here's a map made by Mark Graham who's down the street at the Oxford Internet Institute . 这是马克·格雷汉姆制作的一副地图 他就在牛津大学互联网研究中心工作
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
A this is a map of articles in Wikipedia that have been geo-coded. 这幅地图显示的是在维基百科上 标有地理信息标记的条目
Wikipedia:维基百科;
And you'll notice that there's a very heavy bias towards North America and Western Europe. 你会发现 北美和西欧受到的关注最多
bias:adv.使有偏见;n.偏见;偏心;偏爱;v.使有偏见;使偏向;adj.斜的;[电]偏动的; North America:n.北美洲;
Even within Wikipedias, where we're creating their own content online, there's a heavy bias towards the place where a lot of the Wikipedia authors are based, rather than to the rest of the world. 即使这是在维基社区里面 这个社区的内容完全是他们自己创造的 也会出现类似的情况 文章的内容很大程度上跟作者所在地有关 而很少会关注世界其他地方
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足;
In the U.K., you can get up, you can pick up your computer when you get out of this session , you could read a newspaper from India or from Australia, from Canada, God forbid from the U.S. 我们现在在英国 这一节会议结束后你就可以回去拿自己的电脑 可以阅读到来自印度或澳洲 或加拿大甚至是美国的新闻
session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会; forbid:v.禁止;不准;不允许;(正式)严禁;
You probably won't. 但是我想你基本不会这么做
If you look at online media consumption -- in this case, in the top 10 users of the internet -- more than 95 percent of the news readership is on domestic news sites . 假如我们看网上的媒体访问情况 你会发现,互联网前十位的用户 超过95%的在线读者关心的都是 国内新闻网站
consumption:n.消费;消耗;肺痨; readership:n.读者人数;读者们;读者的身分; domestic:n.佣人;家佣;家庭纠纷;家庭矛盾;adj.本国的;国内的;家用的;家庭的; sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
It's one of these rare cases where the U.S. is actually slightly better than [the U.K.], because we actually like reading your media, rather than vice versa . 这一点美国人做得比加拿大人稍好一点 因为我们喜欢阅读加拿大的媒体 而不是相反
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地; vice versa:反之亦然;
So all of this starts leading me to think that we're in a state that I refer to as imaginary cosmopolitanism . 所有这一切使得我去想 我们正处在一种 我称为”假想大都会“的状态
imaginary:adj.虚构的,假想的;想像的;虚数的; cosmopolitanism:n.世界主义;世界大同主义;四海一家;
We look at the internet. 我们都在阅读互联网
We think we're getting this wide view of the globe. 我们以为我们已经可以看到全球图景了
We occasionally stumble onto a page in Chinese, and we decide that we do in fact have the greatest technology ever built to connect us to the rest of the world. 我们偶尔会撞上一个中文的网页 这让我们觉得我们已经拥有了最好的技术 可以让我们很好的联系到世界其他角落
occasionally:adv.偶尔;有时候;偶然; stumble:v.踌躇,蹒跚;失足;犯错;n.绊倒;蹒跚而行;
And we forget that most of the time we're checking Boston Red Sox scores. 但是我们忘记了 我们大多数时候还只是在关注波士顿红袜子球队的战绩
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市);
So this is a real problem -- not just because the Red Sox are having a bad year -- but it's a real problem because, as we're we're discussing here at TED, the real problems in the world the interesting problems to solve are global in scale and scope , they require global conversations to get to global solutions. 这就是问题所在 不是说红袜子队今年确实成绩不好—— 而是说,我们遇到了严峻的问题 我们在TED这里所讨论的一些问题 都是世界性的问题 是一些很有趣的问题 它们都是具有全球影响的问题 需要全球参与对话 我们才能找到解决之道
scope:n.能力; v.仔细看;
This is a problem we have to solve. 这就是我们需要解决的问题
So here's the good news. 下面要带给大家一个好消息
For six years, I've been hanging out with these guys. 过去6年,我跟这些人在一起
This is a group called Global Voices. 他们都是“全球之声”的志愿者
This is a team of bloggers from around the world. 他们都是来自全球的博客作者
bloggers:n.写博客的人;博客使用者;
Our mission was to fix the world's media. 我们的使命就是要给世界的媒体解毒
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
We started in 2004. 我们是2004年开始的
You might have noticed, we haven't done all that well so far. 也许你也注意到了,我们做得还不是非常好
Nor do I think we are by ourselves, actually going to solve the problem. 而且我也不认为单凭我们自身的力量 可以解决问题
But the more that I think about it, the more that I think that a few things that we have learned along the way are interesting lessons for how we would rewire if we we wanted to use the web to have a wider world. 但是当我对前面的问题想得更多时 我就发现,我们这几年所收获的一些经验 对于如何重新发掘网络的力量 来实现更广的全球对话是有很好的启发的
rewire:vt.给…再打电报;给…换新电线;vi.再发电报;重装电线;
The first thing you have to consider is that there are parts of the world that are dark spots in terms of attention. 首先我们要考虑的是 世界确实有些地方 是没有人关注的死角
In this case -- the map of the world at night by NASA -- they're dark literally because of lack of electricity . 这是美国航天航空署所拍摄的地球夜间图 有些地方所以黑暗确实是因为那里没有电力
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪;
And I used to think that a dark spot on this map basically meant you're not going to get media from there because there are more basic needs. 我以前认为这个地图上黑暗的地方 都是不会受到媒体关注的地方 因为那里有比受关注更基本的需求
What I'm starting to realize is that you can get media, it's just an enormous amount of work, and you need an enormous amount of encouragement. 后来我慢慢意识到 事实上要获得关注也并非不可能,只是需要非常大的投入 以及大量的宣传
One of those dark spots is Madagascar, a country which is generally better known for the Dreamworks film than it is actually known for the lovely people who live there. 这个图上其中一个黑点是马达加斯加 很多人知道那个地方是因为看了好莱坞电影 而不是因为 了解那里的风土人情
Dreamworks:n.梦工厂(美国影业公司);
And so the people who founded 不久前当地人组建了一个
Foko Club in Madagascar weren't actually concerned with trying to change the image of their country. Foko 俱乐部 他们本没有想到要改变马达加斯加国家形象的
concerned with:关心;涉及;忙于;与…有关;
They were doing something much simpler. 他们做的是简单得多的 事情
It was a club to learn English and to learn computers and the internet. 因为那只是一个旨在学英语 以及电脑和互联网的俱乐部
but what happened was that Madagascar went through a violent coup. 非常巧合的是,当时马达加斯加 发生了暴力政变
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的;
Most independent media was shut down. 大多数的独立媒体都被关闭
independent:adj.独立的; n.无党派议员(或候选人等);
And the high school students who were learning to blog through Foko Club suddenly found themselves talking to an international audience about the demonstrations , the violence , everything that was going on within this country. 而那些通过Foko俱乐部 学会了写英文博客的高中生 突然发现其实有很多的国际读者 在关心他们那里发生的抗议和暴力事件 还有其他各种动态
demonstrations:n.示范,展示(demonstration复数); violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
So a very, very small program designed to get people in front of computers, publishing their own thoughts, publishing independent media, ended up having a huge impact on what we know about this country. 于是原先一个很小的项目 旨在帮助学员上网的项目 在不经意间成为了一个独立媒体 并且产生了巨大的影响 来帮助我们了解这个国度
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
Now the trick with this is that I'm guessing most people here don't speak Malagasy. 但我想这里大多数人 应当是不会马达加斯加语的
I'm also guessing that most of you don't even speak Chinese -- which is sort of sad if you think about it, as it's now the most represented language on the internet. 你们当中大多数人应当也不会中文 但这是 一个可悲的事实 因为互联网上用得最多的是中文
Fortunately people are trying to figure out how to fix this. 幸运的 是,人们正在开始寻找一些方式来解决这个问题
If you're using Google Chrome and you go to a Chinese language site, you notice this really cute box at the top, which automatically detects that the page is in Chinese and very quickly at a mouse click will give you a translation of the page. 假如你用的是Chrome浏览器,并且你在阅读一个中文的网页 你会在页面的上方看到这样一个很可爱的方框 浏览器会自动识别到这是中文网页 你只需要点一下鼠标 就可以看到英文翻译
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; Chrome:n.铬,铬合金;铬黄;谷歌浏览器; automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的; detects:发现;
Unfortunately , it's a machine translation of the page. 可是,这仅仅是机器翻译
Unfortunately:adv.不幸地; machine translation:n.机器翻译;计算机翻译;
And while Google is very, very good with some languages, it's actually pretty dreadful with Chinese. 虽然Google机器翻译在一些语言之间的转换做得很好 但是在中英文的转换之间却很差
And the results can be pretty funny. 于是你看到的翻译也许会很滑稽
What you really want -- what I really want, is eventually the ability to push a button and have this queued so a human being can translate this. 而我猜我们最希望看到的是 可以找到一个按钮 点一下 马上会有人帮助我去翻译
eventually:adv.最后,终于; queued:v.排队(queue的过去分词); translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
And if you think this is absurd, it's not. 也许你会认为这有点疯狂,事实不是
There's a group right now in China called Yeeyan. 这是一群叫“译言”的家伙
And Yeeyan is a group of 150,000 volunteers who get online every day. 它是一个 有15万志愿译者的 群体
volunteers:n.志愿者; v.自愿做; (volunteer的第三人称单数和复数)
They look for the most interesting content in the English language. 他们会主动的去发现英文互联网的有趣的故事
They translate roughly 100 articles a day from major newspapers, major websites. 而后翻译成中文,每天的产出有100篇 文章来源是主流报纸以及网站
roughly:adv.粗糙地;概略地;
They put it online for free. 并且所有的翻译都是免费阅读的
It's the project of a guy named Zhang Lei, who was living in the United States during the Lhasa riots and who couldn't believe how biased 这个项目由张雷发起 在发生拉萨骚乱的时候,他正住在美国 他不敢相信美国的媒体
riots:n.暴动(riot的复数);v.骚乱(riot的第三人称单数形式);闹事; biased:adj.有偏见的;结果偏倚的,有偏的;
American media coverage was. 对于事件的报道是如此的片面
coverage:n.覆盖,覆盖范围;
And he said, "If there's one thing I can do, I can start translating, so that people between these countries start understanding each other a little bit better." 于是他说:“假如我可以做点什么,那我就做点翻译吧 让不同语言的人们可以 藉此更好的了解对方。”
And my question to you is: in Yeeyan can line up 150,000 people to translate the English internet into Chinese, where's the English language Yeeyan? 我要问大家: 假如译言可以征集到15万人 把英文翻译成中文 那英文的译言又在哪里?
Who's going after Chinese, which now has 400 million internet users out there? 有谁在翻译中文互联网? 要知道那里有4亿的用户啊!
My guess is at least one of them has something interesting to say. 他们中间至少有一个人能说出些有趣的东西吧
So even if we can find a way to translate from Chinese, there's no guarantee that we're going to find it. 即使我们可以找到这样一种方法 但我也不敢保证说我们一定可以找到
guarantee:n.保证;担保;保证人;保证书;抵押品;v.保证;担保;
When we look for information online, we basically have two strategies . 我们在网上寻找信息的时候 我们通常有两种策略
strategies:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;(strategy的复数)
We use a lot of search. 可以是搜索
And search is terrific if you know what you're looking for. 假如你知道自己要寻找什么,搜索是很棒的
terrific:adj.极好的;极其的,非常的;可怕的;
But if what you're looking for is serendipity , if you want to stumble onto something that you didn't know you needed, our main philosophy is to look to our social networks, to look for our friends. 但假如你希望找到一些意外的”宝藏“ 如果你想找到一些 你并不知道自己需要的东西 我们大多数人的做法是到我们的社交网络友邻里 去看友邻在关注什么
serendipity:n.意外发现珍奇事物的本领;有意外发现珍宝的运气; philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观;
What are they looking at? Maybe we should be looking at it. 他们关注的东西也许我们也感兴趣
The problem with this is that essentially what you end up getting after a while is the wisdom of the flock . 但这种做法的问题是 你最终会跟随大众
wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; flock:v.聚集;群集;蜂拥;n.(羊或鸟)群;(尤指同类人的)一大群;
You end up flocking with a lot of people who are probably similar to you, who have similar interests. 你会不自觉的去跟随 一群可能跟你特征很像的人 向前走
flocking:v.群集;聚集;蜂拥;(flock的现在分词)
And it's very, very hard to get information from the other flocks , from the other parts of the world where people getting together and talking about their own interests. 并且你很难从其他的群体 或者从世界其他地方获得资讯 因为大家都只呆在各自的圈子里
flocks:n.短纤维,废毛铁;絮凝物,絮状沉淀;
To do this, at a certain point, you need someone to bump you out of your flock and into another flock. 要摆脱这一点,你就需要有人 时不时跳出来把你拽到别的群体
bump:n.肿块,隆起物;撞击;v.碰撞,撞击;颠簸而行;adv.突然地,猛烈地;
You need a guide. 你需要向导
So this is Amira Al Hussaini. She is the Middle East editor for Global Voices. 这个女人是阿米拉·阿依·胡赛妮,她是全球之声的中东地区编辑
Middle East:n.中东(包括亚洲西南部和非洲东北部);
She has one of the hardest jobs in the world. 她的工作也许是全球最困难的工作之一
Not only does she have to keep our Israeli and Palestinian contributors from killing each other, she has to figure out what is going to interest you about the Middle East. 她不但要防止我们的以色列作者和巴勒斯坦作者 相互残杀 还要去想组织怎样的内容 才会让你对中东 感兴趣
Israeli:adj.以色列的;以色列人的;n.以色列人; Palestinian:adj.巴勒斯坦的;巴勒斯坦人的;n.巴勒斯坦人; contributors:n.贡献者;参与者;编著者(contributor的复数形式);
And in that sense of trying to get you out of your normal orbit , and to try to get you to pay attention to a story about someone who's given up smoking for the month of Ramadan , she has to know something about a global audience. 也就是说要让你走出 日常的轨道 并且将注意力放到 一个在斋月期间 成功戒烟的故事 她需要对全球读者有所了解
orbit:n.轨道;眼眶;势力范围;生活常规;vi.盘旋;绕轨道运行;vt.绕…轨道而行; pay attention to:注意 Ramadan:n.斋月(伊斯兰教历的九月,等于Ramazan);
She has to know something about what stories are available. 也需要知道本地有些什么新闻
Basically, she's a deejay . 我们可以把她的角色看成是一个DJ
deejay:n.播放音乐的人;流行音乐播音员(等于diskjockey);vi.当唱片师;
She's a skilled human curator who knows what material is available to her, who's able to listen to the audience, and who's able to make a selection and push people forward in one fashion or another. 她是一个很好的人肉编辑 知道她手上有什么资讯 能够倾听读者需要什么 也可以基于此而做出决定 让读者去关注某方面的信息
skilled:adj.熟练的;有技能的;需要技能的; curator:n.馆长;监护人;管理者; selection:n.选择;选拔;挑选;被挑选的人(或物);
I don't think this is necessarily an algorithmic process . 我相信这样的事情由机器来做并不一定是最好的
algorithmic:adj.[数]算法的;规则系统的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
I think what's great about the internet is that it actually makes it much easier for deejays to reach a wider audience. 我认为互联网最棒的一点是 她可以帮助DJ寻找到 更广的观众群
deejays:n.播放音乐的人;流行音乐播音员(等于diskjockey);vi.当唱片师;
I know Amira. 我认识阿米拉
I can ask her what to read. 我可以问她我该读什么
But with the internet, she's in a position where she can tell a lot of people what to read. 但有了互联网,她可以告诉很多人 她们可以阅读什么
And you can listen to her as well, if this is a way that you're interested in having your web widened . 并且你也可以找到她的推荐 假如你对中东感兴趣的话
widened:v.变宽;加宽;拓宽;扩展;(widen的过去分词和过去式)
So once you start widening like this, once you start lighting up voices in the dark spots, once you start translating, once you start curating , you end up in some really weird places. 一旦你开始这样去扩大自己的视野 去关注那些黑暗的地区 一旦你开始了翻译和编辑的过程 你就很容易会去到一些很奇怪的地方
widening:v.(使)变宽;拓宽;(使)扩展,程度加深,范围扩大;(widen的现在分词) curating:n.助理牧师;副牧师;
This is an image from pretty much my favorite blog, which is AfriGadget. 这是一张来自我很喜欢的一个博客的照片 这个博客叫 AfriGadget
And AfriGadget is a blog that looks at technology in an Africa context . 它是专门关注非洲技术圈的 群体博客
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
And specifically, it's looking at a blacksmith in Kibera in Nairobi, who is turning the shaft of a Landrover into a cold chisel . 而这个照片就是 在内罗毕的一个铁匠 他正在把一辆Landrover越野车的车轴 改造成一个凿子
blacksmith:n.铁匠;锻工; shaft:n.拍杆;[机]轴;箭杆;杆状物;v.利用;在…上装杆; chisel:vt.雕,刻;凿;欺骗;vi.雕,刻;凿;欺骗;n.凿子;
And when you look at this image, you might find yourself going, "Why would I conceivably care about this?" 也许你会问 为什么我要关心这样的事情啊?
conceivably:adv.令人信服地;可相信地;想得到地;
And the truth is, this guy can probably explain this to you. 这个家伙也许可以给你解释
This is Erik Hersman. You guys may have seen him around the conference. 他叫Erik Hersman, 也许你在会场上见过他了
He goes by the moniker White African. 他的网名是 White African
moniker:n.绰号;名字;
He's both a very well known American geek, but he's also Kenyan; he was born in Sudan, grew up in Kenya. 他既有美国式的极客风格 同时又是一个肯尼亚人,生于苏丹而长于肯尼亚
well known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的;
He is a bridge figure. 他充当了一座桥的角色
He is someone who literally has feet in both worlds -- one in the world of the African technology community, one in the world of the American technology community. 他可以同时看到两个世界 一个是非洲的技术社区 另一个是美国的技术社区
And so he's able to tell a story about this blacksmith in Kibera and turn it into a story about repurposing technology, about innovating from constraint , about looking for inspiration based on reusing materials. 所以他可以知道 这个内罗毕的铁匠的故事 并且将这个变废为宝的故事写出来 这个故事也体现了“局限出创新”的观点 让我们看到了废物利用的许多可能
repurposing:n.再利用;v.为…改变用途(repurpose的ing形式); innovating:n.创新;v.革新(innovate的现在分词);创立; constraint:n.[数]约束;局促,态度不自然;强制;
He knows one world, and he's finding a way to communicate it to another world, both of which he has deep connections to. 他看到了一个世界发生的故事 并且寻找一种方式将其传递到另外一个世界 并且他可以在两个世界之间轻松穿行
These bridge figures, I'm pretty well convinced , are the future of how we try to make the world wider through using the web. 我坚信,这样的桥梁人物 正是未来我们通过互联网 实现让世界变得更好的寄托
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
But the trick with bridges is, ultimately , you need someone to cross them. 但是桥梁的意义在于:最终 你需要人们从这些桥梁上走过去
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
And that's where we start talking about xenophiles. 这时我们就不得不谈起“异国癖”
So if I found myself in the NFL, 假如我是国家橄榄球联盟队员
I suspect I would spend my off-season nursing my wounds , enjoying my house, so on and so forth -- possibly recording a hip-hop album. 在没有比赛的季节里 也许 我会养伤、在家休整或其他 甚至是录制一张嘻哈唱片
suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的; off-season:adj.淡季的;n.淡季; wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数) hip-hop:n.街舞,即兴音乐;嘻哈;
Dhani Jones, who is the middle linebacker for the Cincinnati Bengals , has a slightly different approach to the off-season. 但是辛辛那提队的中线卫 达尼·琼斯 却有独特的方法度过他的休赛期
linebacker:n.(橄榄球的)中后卫球员; Cincinnati:n.辛辛那提(美国俄亥俄州西南部城市); Bengals:n.孟加拉薄细布;孟加拉棉; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
Dhani has a television show. 他还拍了一个电视节目
It's called "Dhani Tackles the Globe." 叫“达尼·琼斯走世界”
Tackles:v.应付,处理,解决; n.用具; (tackle的第三人称单数和复数)
And every week on this television show, 每一周
Dhani travels to a different nation of the world. 达尼·琼斯都会去到一个不同的地方
He finds a local sporting team. 找到当地的球队
He trains with them for a week, and he plays a match with them. 跟他们一起训练,而后一起比赛
And his reason for this is not just that he wants to master Muay Thai boxing. 之所以这么做 不是因为他要学会泰拳
It's because, for him, sport is the language that allows him to encounter the full width and wonder of the world. 而是因为对他而言 运动就是一种语言 使得他可以通过运动 来认知这个世界的多元和奇妙
encounter:v.遭遇,邂逅;遇到;n.遭遇,偶然碰见; width:n.宽度;广度;某一宽度的材料;(游泳池两长边之间的)池宽;
For some of us it might be music. For some of us it might be food. 对于我们有些人可能这个语言是音乐或食物
For a lot of us it might be literature or writing. 或文学或创作
literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
But there are all these different techniques that allow you to go out and look at the world and find your place within it. 但可以肯定的是 有一些很简单的工具可以帮助我们探出头去看到世界的其他地方 并且找到你的位置
techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
The goal of my Talk here is not to persuade the people in this room to embrace your xenophilia. 我的演讲的目的不是 要鼓励这个屋子里的人 去喜欢异国文化
persuade:v.说服;劝说;使信服;使相信; embrace:n.拥抱,怀抱;v.拥抱;乐意采纳(思想、建议等);信奉;包括;
My guess -- given that you're at a conference called TEDGlobal -- is that most of you are xenophiles, whether or not you use that term. 因为这是 TEDGlobal,我想大家 大多数都有些异国情结 不管你是否喜欢这个词
whether or not:是否…;
My challenge instead is this. 我带给 大家的挑战是
It's not enough to make the personal decision that you want a wider world. 单单做出个人的决定去寻找更广的世界 这还是不够的
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
We have to figure out how to rewire the systems that we have. 我们需要找到一种方法 去改变整个系统
We have to fix our media. 改变我们的媒体
We have to fix the internet. We have to fix our education. 改变互联网,改变我们的教育
We have to fix our immigration policy . 改变我们的移民政策
immigration:n.外来移民;移居; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
We need to look at ways of creating serendipity, of making translation pervasive , and we need to find ways to embrace and celebrate these bridge figures. 并且去开创一些 鼓励发现新鲜体验的机制 把翻译做得更广泛 去发现和赞颂 那些勇于充当桥梁的人们
pervasive:adj.普遍的;到处渗透的;流行的;
And we need to figure out how to cultivate xenophiles. 我们都要学会养成一点“异国癖”
cultivate:vt.培养;陶冶;耕作;
That's what I'm trying to do. I need your help. 这正是我所努力为之的事情,我需要你的帮助。
(Applause) (鼓掌)