|
|
EthanLisi_2020Y-_自闭症究竟是种怎样的体验_-
|
Autism is something that many people know about. |
很多人都听说过自闭症。 |
For example, some people think that autistic people are fair-skinned males that speak in monotone and constantly go on and on about the same topic. |
举个例子,有的人认为 自闭症人士是白人男性, 说话声音单调, 并且会对同一个话题说个不停。 |
Some people think that autistic people do not know right from wrong , avoid attention and usually say the wrong thing at the wrong time. |
有些人则认为自闭症人士 无法分辨对错, 不喜欢被人注意, 并经常在错误的时间 说错误的话。 |
Autism:n.[心理][内科]孤独症;自我中心主义; autistic:adj.[心理][内科]孤独症的;孤僻的;n.孤独症患者(常指儿童); fair-skinned:adj.浅肤色的;白皮肤的; monotone:n.单调;单音调;adj.单调的;vt.单调地读; constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; on and on:继续不停地; know right from wrong:分辨是非;知错;分辨对错;知情权是非;
|
Some people think that autistic people are socially awkward and lack humor and empathy . |
还有些人觉得自闭症人士在 社交上表现笨拙, 并缺乏幽默感和同理心。 |
Now if you agree with what I just said, |
如果你们同意我刚才所说的, |
I'm sorry to tell you, but you do not have the right impression of autism. |
那我很抱歉地告诉你们, 你们对自闭症的印象并不正确。 |
How do I know? |
我是怎么知道的呢? |
Because I have autism. |
因为我就有自闭症。[01:02] |
awkward:adj.尴尬的;笨拙的;棘手的;不合适的; humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就; empathy:n.神入;移情作用;执着; impression:n.印象;影响;效果;感想;
|
I do have my own obsessions with things like electronics and public transit , but that does not define me. |
我的确对电子产品 和公共交通非常着迷, 但这并不能定义我是怎样的人。 |
Each of us are different and unique in our own way. |
我们每一个人都有自己的 不同与独特之处。 |
However, there is not a lot of information out there on what an autistic life actually looks like, so people often resort to stereotypes . |
但是世界上并没有多少 关于自闭症人群 真实生活的信息。 于是人们通常会 诉诸刻板印象。 |
obsessions:n.癖好;着迷;使人痴迷的的人或物;强迫意念(obsession的复数); electronics:n.电子学;电子工业; transit:n.运输;经过;v.运送;经过; define:v.定义;使明确;规定; unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; resort:n.度假胜地;诉诸;采取;旅游胜地;v.去;凭藉; stereotypes:n.模式化观念(或形象); v.对…形成模式化(或类型化)的看法; (stereotype的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And we see these often in the media . |
我们在媒体里常常 看到这些刻板印象。 |
Some of the more common stereotypes in the media include being socially awkward, lacking empathy and even being a supergenius. |
一些在媒体里更常见的刻板印象 包括社交障碍, 缺乏同理心, 甚至超级天才。 |
And the lack of knowledge on autism doesn't stop there either. |
对于自闭症的认识缺乏 还不仅限于此。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
|
Did you know that some people are trying to find a cure for autism? |
你们知道有些人正在为 自闭症寻找治疗办法吗? |
That's because they see it as a negative thing, as a disease . |
这是因为他们觉得 自闭症是不好的, 是一种疾病。 |
Many people are challenging the idea and to us, we think autism is not a disease. |
很多人在驳斥这种观点, 对于我们来说,我们认为 自闭症不是一种疾病。 |
It's just another way of thinking and looking at the world. |
它只不过是另一种 思考与看待世界的方式。 |
Our brains function differently from most people's brains. |
我们大脑的运行方式同 大多数人不同。 |
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
Think of it like comparing and Xbox and a PlayStation . |
这就好比把 Xbox 和 PlayStation 拿来对比一样。 |
They're both highly capable consoles with different programming. |
两者都是性能出众的主机, 有着不同的程序。 |
But if you put your Xbox game in a PlayStation, it won't work, because the PlayStation communicates differently. |
但是如果你把 Xbox 的游戏 放在 PlayStation 里面, 它不会顺利运行,因为 PlayStation 的读取方式和 Xbox 不同。 |
comparing:v.比较;对比;(compare的现在分词) Xbox:n.微软游戏机; PlayStation:n.游戏机; highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的; consoles:n.[计]控制台(console的复数);支柱;v.安慰;慰问(console的三单形式);
|
When I look in the mirror, |
当我看向镜子的时候, |
I see someone who thinks differently. |
我会看到一个 思维方式不同的人, |
Oh, and I also see nice hair. |
噢,还有好看的头发。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But the question is, am I really diseased if I just think differently? |
但是问题在于, 如果只是思维方式异于常人, 那我真的患有疾病吗? |
The main problem with living autistic in today's society is that the world just isn't built for us. |
自闭症人群在现代社会里 生活的最大问题是, 这个世界的运行方式 对我们不适用。 |
There's so many ways that we can get overwhelmed . |
世界上有太多的事情 能让我们无所适从。 |
diseased:adj.不健全的;患病的;病态的;v.使生病;传染;(disease的过去式和过去分词) overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
|
For example, the thing that makes me overwhelmed all the time is loud noises, which means I never crank up my music really loud and I usually am not a fan of large parties. |
举个例子来说, 我一直难以应付的东西 是巨大的声响, 这意味着我从来不把 音乐声音开得很大, 我也不喜欢参加大型派对。 |
But other people on the spectrum might get overwhelmed with things like bright lights or strong smells or gooey textures that all have the potential to create anxiety . |
但是其他有自闭症谱系 障碍的人可能会因为 或者黏糊糊的质感 而感到难以忍受, 这些东西都可能 给我们制造焦虑。 |
crank:n.曲柄;奇想;adj.易怒的;vt.装曲柄; spectrum:n.光谱;频谱;范围;余象; gooey:adj.胶粘的;感伤的;n.胶粘物;蜜糖; textures:n.纹理;材质(texture的复数);v.使具有某种结构(texture的三单形式); potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事;
|
Think about all of the social gatherings you've been to in the past. |
想想你们过去参加过的 所有社交聚会。 |
Was there loud music playing? |
那里是不是放着很大声的音乐? |
Were there really bright lights? |
是不是有着很刺眼的灯光? |
Were there lots of different food smells going on at the same time ? |
是不是同时弥漫着 很多种不同食物的味道? |
Were there lots of conversations happening all at once? |
是不是有很多人在同时进行对话?[03:56] |
gatherings:n.聚会;集会;收集;采集;(gathering的复数) at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
|
Those things may not have bothered you guys, but for someone with autism, they can be quite overwhelming . |
这些事可能不会让你们觉得困扰, 但是对于有自闭症的人来说, 它们能让人觉得不堪重负。 |
So in those situations, we do something called stimming, which is like a repetitive motion or a noise or some other random fidgeting that may or may not seem normal. |
所以在这种情况下,我们会做出 自我刺激的行为(stimming), 比如做出反复的动作或声音, 又或是其他无意义的小动作,看上去可能正常,也可能不正常。 |
bothered:adj.烦(恼)的; v.使(某人)烦恼; overwhelming:adj.势不可挡的; v.压倒; (overwhelm的现在分词) repetitive:adj.重复的; motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; fidgeting:vi.烦躁;坐立不安;玩弄;n.烦躁;坐立不安;烦躁不安的人;vt.使不安;使烦乱;
|
Some people will flap their arms or make a noise or spin . |
有些人会挥动手臂, 或是发出吵声, 或是旋转物品。 |
Ya, it's basically our way of zoning out. |
没错,这基本就是我们 走神时的表现。 |
It can often feel necessary for us to stim. |
我们常常觉得 有必要进行自我刺激。 |
However, it's often frowned upon, and we're forced to hide it. |
但是,这种行为 常常令他人不悦, 于是我们被迫隐藏这种行为。 |
flap:n.拍打,拍打声; v.拍动; (帽边等)垂下; spin:v.旋转;纺纱;吐丝;纺线;n.头晕;(快速)旋转;常用于英式英语;晕头转向; basically:adv.主要地,基本上; frowned:v.皱眉;蹙额;(frown的过去分词和过去式)
|
When we're forced to hide our autistic traits like this, it's called masking. |
当我们被迫隐藏 类似的自闭症状时, 我们在进行伪装(masking)。 |
And some people mask better than others. |
有的人比其他人隐藏得好。 |
I mask so well sometimes that people don't even know I'm autistic until I give them the big reveal . (Laughs) |
我有时隐藏得相当好,以至于 别人甚至不知道我有自闭症, 直到我为他们揭开谜底。(笑声) |
traits:n.特性,特质,性格(trait的复数); reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧;
|
But at the end of the day, it gets really stressful . |
但是不管怎么说, 这样的伪装会带来巨大压力。 |
Even something like doing my homework at night becomes very tiring. |
甚至晚上做作业之类的事情 都会变得非常令人疲倦。 |
Some people think, because of our ability to mask, that this is the cure to autism. |
有些人会想, 因为我们有能力进行伪装, 这就是治愈自闭症的办法。 |
stressful:adj.紧张的;有压力的;
|
However, all it really does is makes us ashamed of showing our true selves. |
但是,这样的伪装只会让我们 羞于展现真正的自我。 |
Another common stereotype that is often associated with autism is that autistic people lack empathy. |
另一个常常和自闭症 联系在一起的刻板印象是, 自闭症人群缺乏同理心。 |
And again, this is not true. |
同样的,这也不是真相。 |
I actually have lots of empathy. |
我其实富有同理心。 |
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式)
|
I'm just not really good at showing it. |
我只是不擅长表现出来。 |
Whenever a friend is trying to tell me some of the struggles that they're going through, |
每当朋友尝试告诉我 他们正经历的一些挣扎时, |
I often don't know how to express my reply. |
我通常都不知道 如何表达我的回应。 |
And that is why I don't show as much empathy as my nonautistic friends do. |
这就是为什么和我 没有自闭症的朋友相比, 我没有表现出 同等程度的同理心。 |
Emotional expression , however much or however little, is difficult for me. |
情感上的表达, 不论多少, 对我来说都很困难。 |
express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; Emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; expression:n.表现,表示,表达;
|
And that is because I am bursting inside with every single emotion one feels at all times. |
这是因为无论何时 我感受到的任何情感, 在心中都如同爆炸一样强烈。 |
Though of course, I cannot express it that way. |
虽说当然了,我无法 那样强烈地表达出来。 |
Otherwise, let's say, happiness, for example, would come out as a huge burst of gleeful wheezing , hand flapping and loud vocal "woohoos." |
否则的话,以快乐为例, 快乐会剧烈地爆发出来, 手舞足蹈,并大声高呼“哇吼!” |
bursting:adj.充满的;渴望的;v.爆炸;猛然打开;突然开始(burst的现在分词); gleeful:adj.愉快的; wheezing:v.喘;喘息;喘鸣;(wheeze的现在分词) flapping:n.拍动;摇摆运动;adj.摇摆运动的;挥动的;v.拍打,轻拍(flap的现在分词); vocal:adj.嗓音的;发声的;大声表达的;直言不讳的;n.(乐曲中的)歌唱部分;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Whereas you may just smile. |
而换作你的话, 可能只是个微笑。 |
(Laughter) |
|
Whether it be receiving an awesome birthday gift or listening to a tragic story on the news, |
不管是收到非常棒的生日礼物, 还是听到新闻里面悲剧的故事, |
I cannot really express my reply without bursting, so once again, I have to mask it in order to appear normal. |
我真的没办法在情感不爆发 的情况下表达回应, 所以为了表现正常, 我不得不再次进行掩饰。 |
Whereas:conj.然而;鉴于;反之; awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的; tragic:adj.悲剧的;悲痛的,不幸的;
|
My inner feelings are unlimited , but my mind only lets me express extremes or nothing. |
我内心有无限的情感, 但我的头脑只能让我 极端爆发,抑或毫无波动。 |
So my ... |
所以我…… |
I am not great with my emotions , and I communicate differently, and because of that, I was diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder . |
我不擅长表达情感, 我沟通的方式也不一样, 因为这些,我被诊断 有自闭症谱系障碍。 |
This diagnosis helps me and my friends and family to know how my mind works. |
这次诊断让我、 我朋友和家人 了解了我思维的运转方式。 |
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; unlimited:adj.无限制的;无限量的;无条件的; extremes:n.极端不同的感情;极端;极度;极限;(extreme的复数) emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数) diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) disorder:n.混乱;骚乱;vt.使失调;扰乱; diagnosis:n.诊断;
|
And in the world, approximately one percent of the population is diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder. |
世界上, 大概 1% 的人口 被诊断有自闭症谱系障碍。 |
And this number is growing. |
同时这个数字还在增加。 |
However, we are still a big minority . |
但是,我们依然是一个 大型的少数群体。 |
And there's still lots of people that do not see us as equals to other people. |
现在还有很多人 不把我们视为 和他人平等的人。 |
This is my family. |
这是我的家人。[08:00] |
approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于; minority:n.少数民族;少数派;未成年;adj.少数的;属于少数派的;
|
And in my family, there is one other person who is also autistic. |
在我的家庭中, 还有另一位有自闭症的人。 |
My mother. |
我的妈妈。 |
Yes, adult women can also be autistic. |
是的,成年女性也可能有自闭症。 |
My dad and my brother are both nonautistic. |
我的爸爸和兄弟都没有自闭症。 |
Sometimes it can be a bit difficult for us to communicate with each other, however. |
有时候,我们几个人 互相沟通会有些困难, 但是, |
Sometimes I'll say something like, "Oh, Toronto's Union Station, right?" |
有时候我会说类似 “噢,多伦多联合车站,是吗?” 这样的话, |
thinking that I can help them to remember certain aspects of it. |
因为我认为这样能 帮助他们想起 车站的某些方面。 |
When they get confused , I often have to elaborate myself on that. |
当他们感到困惑时,我经常 不得不对其进行详细阐述。 |
And we often have to say things in a number of different ways so that everyone understands. |
我们也经常不得不 用多种不同方式说明, |
However, despite all that, we all love each other and respect each other as equals. |
但是,尽管这样, 我们都很爱彼此, 并且平等地尊重对方。 |
aspects:n.方面;相位;面貌(aspect的复数); confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式) elaborate:adj.精心制作的;详尽的;煞费苦心的;v.精心制作;详细描述;变复杂; despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱;
|
In his book "NeuroTribes," |
在《神经部落》一书中, |
author Steve Silberman states that autism and other mental conditions should be seen as naturally human, naturally part of a human spectrum and not as defects . |
作者史蒂夫 · 希波曼声称, 自闭症和其它精神状况 都应被看作人类的自然特性, 都是人类谱系中的正常部分, 而不应被视为缺陷。 |
And this is something that I agree to completely. |
这一点我是完全同意的。 |
If autism was seen as part of a natural human spectrum, then the world could be designed to work better for autistic people. |
如果自闭症人群被视为 正常人类谱系中的一部分, 那么这个世界就可以被设计得 对自闭症人群更加友好。 |
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; defects:n.缺点;瑕疵;不合格品(defect的复数);v.叛变(defect的三单形式);
|
I am not ashamed of my autism. |
我并不因为有自闭症 而感到羞耻。 |
And I may not think like you, or act like you, but I am still human and I am not diseased. |
我可能和你们的思考方式不同, 行为举止不同, 但我仍是人类, 我也没有患病。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |