返回首页

EthanHawke_2020-_允许自己发挥创造力_-

I was hoping today to talk a little bit about creativity. 今天我想谈谈创意。
You know, a lot of people really struggle to give themselves permission to be creative . 要知道,很多人真的很难 允许自己发挥创造力。
And reasonably so. 这也合情合理。
I mean, we're all a little suspect of our own talent. 我的意思是,我们多少会 怀疑自己的才华。
And I remember a story I came across in my early 20s that kind of meant a lot to me. 记得在我二十出头时 偶然发现一个故事, 对我意义重大。
creative:adj.创造性的; reasonably:adv.合理地;相当地;适度地; suspect:n.犯罪嫌疑人;v.怀疑;不信任;adj.可疑的;
I was really into Allen Ginsberg, and I was reading his poetry , and I was reading -- he did a lot of interviews -- and one time, William F. Buckley had this television program called " Firing Line ," 我当时很迷艾伦·金斯堡, 我正在读他的诗作, 我正在阅读—— 他参与了许多访谈—— 有一次,小威廉· F ·巴克利
and Ginsberg went on there and sang a Hare Krishna song while playing the harmonium . 金斯堡上那个节目,吟唱一段 克里希纳咒(Hare Krishna), 同时演奏小风琴。
And he got back to New York to all his intelligentsia friends, and they all told him, "Don't you know that everybody thinks you're an idiot , and the whole country's making fun of you?" 回到纽约后,身旁的 知识分子朋友全都告诉他: 「知不知道大家认为你是白痴? 「知不知道大家认为你是白痴? 全国都在嘲笑你。」
poetry:n.诗;诗意,诗情;诗歌艺术; interviews:n.面试; v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); Firing Line:na.第一线;[军]火线;前线部队; Hare Krishna:n.国际黑天觉悟会;国际黑天觉悟会成员;克里希那教徒; harmonium:n.脚踏式风琴;小风琴; intelligentsia:n.知识分子;知识界; idiot:n.笨蛋,傻瓜;白痴;
And he said, "That's my job. 他说:「那是我的工作。
I'm a poet, and I'm going to play the fool. 我是诗人,我要扮演傻子。
Most people have to go to work all day long , and they come home and they fight with their spouse , and they eat, and they turn on the old boob tube , and somebody tries to sell them something, and I just screwed all that up. 大部分的人整天都在工作, 他们回到家,和另一半吵架, 吃东西,打开老旧的电视机, 电视上有人试着推销东西给他们, 而我把那些都扰乱了。
I went on and I sang about Krishna, and now they're sitting in bed and going, 'Who is this stupid poet?' 我上节目吟唱克里希纳咒, 让他们则坐在床上,说: 『那个笨诗人是谁?』
And they can't fall asleep, right?" 他们无法入睡,对吧?」
And that's his job as a poet. 那就是他身为诗人的工作。
all day long:"allday"的变体;整天;一整天;终日; spouse:n.配偶;vt.和…结婚; boob tube:n.(女人的)紧身平口胸衣;电视机; screwed:v.用螺丝固定;旋紧;拧紧;拧上去;(screw的过去分词和过去式)
And so, I find that very liberating , because I think that most of us really want to offer the world something of quality, something that the world will consider good or important. 这个故事让我感到相当解脱, 因为我认为大部分人都希望 提供给世界有品质的东西, 世人认为不错或重要的东西。
And that's really the enemy, because it's not up to us whether what we do is any good, and if history has taught us anything, the world is an extremely unreliable critic . 那真的是大敌, 因为我们所作所为的好与坏 并非由我们来决定; 如果我们从历史学了点什么,那就是 世人的批评极不可靠,对吧?
liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词) extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地; unreliable:adj.不可靠的;靠不住的; critic:n.评论家;反对者;批评者;
Right? 所以,你得问自己:
So you have to ask yourself: 所以,你得问自己:
Do you think human creativity matters? 你认为人类的创造力有意义吗?
Well, hmm. 嗯。
Most people don't spend a lot of time thinking about poetry. Right? 大部分的人不会花很多时间 去思考诗作,对吧?
They have a life to live, and they're not really that concerned with Allen Ginsberg's poems or anybody's poems, until their father dies, they go to a funeral , you lose a child, 他们要过日子, 没有那么关心艾伦·金斯堡 或任何人的诗作, 直到父亲过世, 出席葬礼, 失去了孩子,
somebody breaks your heart, they don't love you anymore, and all of a sudden , you're desperate for making sense out of this life, and, "Has anybody ever felt this bad before? 心碎了,人家不爱你了, 突然你会拼命想在 这样的人生中找出道理, 以及,「曾经有人感觉这么糟糕吗?
concerned with:关心;涉及;忙于;与…有关; funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的; all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地; desperate:adj.不顾一切的;令人绝望的;极度渴望的;
How did they come out of this cloud?" 他们是怎么走出阴霾的?」
Or the inverse -- something great. 或者反过来——很棒的事情。
You meet somebody and your heart explodes . 你遇到某人,心花怒放。
You love them so much, you can't even see straight. 你好爱他们,爱到无法看清一切。
You know, you're dizzy . 被爱冲昏了头,
'"Did anybody feel like this before? What is happening to me?" 「以前有人有这种感觉吗? 我这是怎么了?」[02:37]
inverse:n.相反;倒转;adj.相反的;倒转的;v.使倒转;使颠倒; explodes:v.爆炸,爆发;激增; dizzy:adj.晕眩的; vt.使头晕眼花;
And that's when art's not a luxury , it's actually sustenance . 此时艺术不再是奢侈品, 而是一种食粮,
We need it. 我们需要它。
OK. Well, what is it? 好,那它是什么?
Human creativity is nature manifest in us. 人类的创意就是大自然 在我们体内呈现出来的形式。
We look at the, oh ... 我们在看,喔……[02:53]
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的; sustenance:n.食物;生计;支持; manifest:v.表明;显现;使人注意到;adj.明显的;显而易见的;n.旅客名单;
the aurora borealis . Right? 北极光,对吧?
I did this movie called "White Fang " when I was a kid, and we shot up in Alaska, and you go out at night and the sky was like rippling with purple and pink and white, and it's the most beautiful thing I ever saw. 我小时候演出电影《雪地黄金犬》, 我们在阿拉斯加拍摄, 晚上走到外面, 天空荡漾着紫色、 粉红色、白色的涟漪, 天空荡漾着紫色、 粉红色、白色的涟漪, 那是我见过最美丽的东西。
aurora borealis:na.北极光; Fang:尖牙,牙根,方(中文读音) rippling:v.(使)如波浪般起伏;扩散;涌起;(ripple的现在分词) purple:n.紫色;紫袍;v.变紫;使成紫色;adj.紫色的;华丽的文辞;
It really looked like the sky was playing. 彷佛天空在玩耍,美极了。
Beautiful. 日落时分的大峡谷,非常美。
You go to Grand Canyon at sundown . 日落时分的大峡谷,非常美。
It's beautiful. 我们知道那很美。
We know that's beautiful. 我们知道那很美。
But fall in love ? 但堕入爱河呢?
Your lover's pretty beautiful. 你的爱人相当美。[03:18]
Canyon:n.(周围有悬崖峭壁的)峡谷;( sundown:n.日落;阔缘的女帽;vi.产生夜间幻觉; fall in love:v.坠入情网;坠入爱河;相爱;爱上;
I have four kids. 我有四个孩子。
Watching them play? 看他们玩耍,
Watching them pretend to be a butterfly or run around the house and doing anything, it's so beautiful. 看他们假扮成蝴蝶, 或在房子旁跑来跑去,做任何事, 那相当美。
And I believe that we are here on this star in space to try to help one another. Right? 我相信我们存在于 太空中的这颗行星上, 是要来幫助彼此的,对吧?
And first we have to survive, and then we have to thrive . 首先,我们要生存, 接着我们要茁壮成长。
And to thrive, to express ourselves, alright, well, here's the rub : we have to know ourselves. 要茁壮成长,要表达我们自己, 问题是:我们需要认识自己。
run around:n.遁词;借口; thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达; express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; rub:n.擦;抹;搓;揉;v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互磨擦;
What do you love? 你喜爱什么?
And if you get close to what you love, who you are is revealed to you, and it expands . 如果你能接近你所爱的, 便能揭示出「你是谁」, 且会再扩张出去。
For me, it was really easy. 对我来说,这非常容易。
I did my first professional play. I was 12 years old. 我十二岁时就第一次 参与职業戏剧演出。
I was in a play called " Saint Joan" by George Bernard Shaw at the McCarter Theatre, and -- boom ! -- I was in love. 我演出的戏剧是 蕭伯纳的《圣女贞德》, 地点在麦卡特剧院, 然后——砰!——我恋爱了。
revealed:v.揭示;显示;露出;(reveal的过去分词和过去式) expands:v.展开; (expand的第三人称单数) professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; Saint:n.圣人;圣徒;道德崇高的人;adj.神圣的;v.成为圣徒; Shaw:n.林薮;杂木林; boom:n.繁荣;吊杆;v.激增;繁荣昌盛;轰鸣;轰响;adj.(美)猛涨起来的;
My world just expanded . 我的世界开始扩展。
And that profession -- I'm almost 50 now -- that profession has never stopped giving back to me, and it gives back more and more, mostly, strangely , through the characters that I've played. 那职業—— 那职業未曾停止回馈给我, 且回馈的越来越多, 奇怪的是, 大部分都是透过 我演出的角色来回馈。
expanded:adj.扩充的;展开的;vt.扩大(expand的过去式); strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地;
I've played cops , I've played criminals, 我演过警察,演过罪犯,
I've played priests , I've played sinners , and the magic of this over a lifetime, over 30 years of doing this, is that you start to see that my experiences, me, Ethan, is not nearly as unique as I thought. 我演过牧师,演过罪人。 这一生,这三十多年的魔法, 在于你会开始了解, 我的经历,我,伊森, 并没有我想像的那么独特。
cops:n.警察;v.遭受;忍受;注意到;(cop的第三人称单数和复数) priests:n.司祭,神父;教士,祭司,僧侣;(priest的复数) sinners:n.罪人(sinner的复数); unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
I have so much in common with all these people. 我和这些人有好多共同点,
And so they have something in common with me. 他们都和我有某些共同点,
You start to see how connected we all are. 于是开始意识到 我们全都连结在一起。
My great-grandmother , Della Hall Walker Green, on her deathbed , she wrote this little biography in the hospital, and it was only about 36 pages long, and she spent about five pages on the one time she did costumes for a play. 我的曾祖母,戴拉·霍尔·沃克·葛林, 临终前, 在医院中写下了一本小自传, 长度大概只有三十六页, 她花了大约五页描写 有次她为一出戏剧制作戏服的经历。
have something in common with:与…有共同之处; great-grandmother:n.曾祖母;外曾祖母; deathbed:n.临终之时;临死所卧之床;adj.临终时作的; biography:n.传记;档案;个人简介; costumes:n.服装,装束; v.给(某人)穿上特殊服装; (costume的第三人称单数和复数)
Her first husband got, like, a paragraph. 她首任丈夫的篇幅才一段而已,
Cotton farming, of which she did for 50 years, gets a mention. 她种棉花种了五十年 只稍微提到而已,
Five pages on doing these costumes. 却有五页关于制作戏服。
And I look -- my mom gave me one of her quilts that she made, and you can feel it. 而我看——我妈妈给了我 一条曾祖母做的被子, 能感觉得到,
She was expressing herself, and it has a power that's real. 她在表达自己, 那有一种真实的力量。
I remember my stepbrother and I went to go see "Top Gun," 我记得和我的继兄弟 去看《捍卫战士》,
whatever year that came out. 在上映的那一年。
And I remember we walked out of the mall, it was, like, blazing hot, 我记得我们走出购物中心时, 外面非常热,我看着他,
expressing:v.表示;表达;表露;显而易见;(express的现在分词) stepbrother:n.同父异母的兄弟;同母异父的兄弟; blazing:adj.酷热的;极其愤怒的;v.熊熊燃烧;闪耀;发亮光;怒视;(blaze的现在分词)
I just looked at him, and we both felt that movie just like a calling from God. 我们都觉得那部电影 就像是神的呼召。 我们都觉得那部电影 就像是神的呼召。
You know? Just ... 你知道吗?就是……
But completely differently. 但又完全不同。
Like, I wanted to be an actor. 我想要成为演员,
I was like, I've got to make something that makes people feel. 想要创造让人有感的东西, 我就是想要参与。
I just want to be a part of that. 而他想从军。
And he wanted to be in the military . 我们那时玩的就是扮演 联邦调查局、军人、骑士,
That's all we ever did was play FBI, play army man, play knights , you know, and I'd like, pose with my sword, and he would build a working crossbow that you could shoot an arrow into a tree. 我拿着剑摆姿势, 而他打造能用的十字弓, 朝树木射箭。
So he joins the army. 所以,他从军了。
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; knights:n.骑兵,骑士(knight的复数);v.授以爵位(knight的第三人称单数); pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势; crossbow:n.弩;石弓;
Well, he just retired a colonel in the Green Berets . 他才刚从特种部队 以上校的身分退役,
He's a multidecorated combat veteran of Afghanistan and Iraq. 是个得过许多勛章的退伍军人, 参与过阿富汗和伊拉克的实战,
He now teaches a sail camp for children of fallen soldiers. 现在执教于为阵亡将士子弟 所办的航海营。
He gave his life to his passion . 他把一生都献给他的热情。
colonel:n.(陆军、海军陆战队或美国空军)上校; Berets:n.贝雷帽; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗; veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的; Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲); passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒;
His creativity was leadership, leading others, his bravery , to help others. 他的创造力是领导能力, 领导他人,以他的勇气去幫助他人。
That was something he felt called to do, and it gave back to him. 他觉得那是他的天职, 这份工作也回馈给他。
We know this -- the time of our life is so short, and how we spend it -- are we spending it doing what's important to us? 我们都知道——人生很短, 我们要如何运用它—— 我们有把它花在 对我们重要的地方吗?
bravery:n.勇敢;勇气;
Most of us not. 大部分人并没有。
I mean, it's hard. 我的意思是,那很难。
The pull of habit is so huge, and that's what makes kids so beautifully creative, is that they don't have any habits, and they don't care if they're any good or not, right? 习惯的拉力非常大, 那就是为什么孩子相当有创造力, 因为他们尚未建立任何习惯, 他们也不在意自己做得好不好。
They're not building a sandcastle going, "I think I'm going to be a really good sandcastle builder ." 他们在堆沙堡时并不会说: 「我认为我将来会成为 很棒的沙堡建造者。」
They just throw themselves at whatever project you put in front of them -- dancing, doing a painting, building something: any opportunity they have, they try to use it to impress upon you their individuality . 他们就只是单纯投入到 面前的事情当中—— 舞蹈、绘画、 建造某样东西: 只要他们有机会, 他们的个体性就会让你印象深刻。
sandcastle:n.沙塔; builder:n.建筑者;建立者; impress:v.盖印;强征;传送;给予某人深刻印象; individuality:n.个性;个人;个人特征;个人的嗜好(通常复数);
It's so beautiful. 那很美。
It's a thing that worries me sometimes whenever you talk about creativity, because it can have this kind of feel that it's just nice, you know, or it's warm or it's something pleasant. 每当谈到创造力时, 我有时会担心这一点, 因为它会有一种很好的感觉, 让人觉得很温暖或很愉悦。
It's not. 其实不然。
It's vital . 它生气勃勃,
It's the way we heal each other. 是我们疗愈彼此的方式。
In singing our song, in telling our story, in inviting you to say, "Hey, listen to me, and I'll listen to you," 藉由唱出我们的歌, 说出我们的故事, 邀请你,说: 「嘿,听我说,我也会听你说」,
we're starting a dialogue. 此时我们才开启了对话。
vital:adj.至关重要的;生死攸关的;有活力的; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束
And when you do that, this healing happens, and we come out of our corners, and we start to witness each other's common humanity . 你这么做,疗愈就开始了。 我们会离开自己的角落, 开始见证彼此共同的人性,
We start to assert it. 开始维护它。
And when we do that, really good things happen. 当我们这么做时,好事就会发生。
So, if you want to help your community , if you want to help your family, if you want to help your friends, you have to express yourself. 因此,如果你想要协助 你的族群、家人、朋友, 你就得表达自己。
healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词) witness:n.证人;目击者;证据;v.目击;证明;为…作证; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; assert:vt.维护,坚持;断言;主张;声称; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
And to express yourself, you have to know yourself. 若要表达自己,就得认识自己。
It's actually super easy. 那其实超级简单,
You just have to follow your love. 你只要追随所爱。
There is no path. 面前没有道路存在。
There's no path till you walk it, and you have to be willing to play the fool. 你得要开始走,才会有路, 而你必须愿意扮傻子。
So don't read the book that you should read, read the book you want to read. 别去读你「该」读的书, 去读你「要」读的书。
Don't listen to the music that you used to like. 别听你曾喜欢的音乐,
Take some time to listen to some new music. 花点时间听一些新的音乐。
Take some time to talk to somebody that you don't normally talk to. 花点时间,和你平常 不互动的人交谈。
I guarantee , if you do that, you will feel foolish. 我保证,如果你这么做, 你会觉得很蠢。
That's the point. 那就是重点。
Play the fool. 扮演傻子。
(Plays guitar) (弹吉他)[08:49]
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; guarantee:n.保证;担保;保证人;保证书;抵押品;v.保证;担保;
(Sings) Well, I want to go Austin, and I wanna stay home. (唱歌)我想要去奥斯汀, 我想要待在家。
Invite our friends over but still be alone. 邀请我们的朋友过来, 但仍然孤独一人。
Live for danger. 为了危险而活。
Play it cool. 冷静面对。
Have everyone respect me for being a fool. 让大家都尊敬我扮演傻子。