返回首页

ErnestMadu_2007G-_向人们展示世界一流的医疗保健服务_

It is interesting that in the United States, the most significant healthcare budget goes to cardiovascular disease care, whether it's private or public. 在美国有个蛮有意思的现象 最重要的医疗预算 无论是私人捐助还是政府提供,都是拨给心血管疾病的
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; healthcare:n.医疗保健;健康护理,健康服务;卫生保健; budget:n.预算,预算费;v.安排,预定;把…编入预算;adj.廉价的; cardiovascular:adj.[解剖]心血管的; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
There's no comparison at all. 其他的疾病根本无法比拟
comparison:n.比较;对比;相比;
In Africa -- where it is a major killer -- it is totally ignored . 而在非洲,心血管疾病是致死率最高的一种疾病,却被彻底忽略了
ignored:v.忽视;对…不予理会;佯装未见;不予理睬;(ignore的过去分词和过去式)
And that situation cannot be right. We must do something about it. 这种情况不应该存在,我们必须改变它
Health status of a nation parallels development of that nation. 一个国家的健康状况与发展水平是成正比的
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份; parallels:n.平行线; v.使…成平行;
17 million people die every year from heart disease. 每年有1700万人死于心脏病
32 million heart attacks and strokes occur . 3200万人死于突发心脏病和中风
strokes:n.中风; v.轻抚; (stroke的第三人称单数和复数) occur:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;
Most of this is in developing countries, and the majority is in Africa. 这其中绝大多数生活在发展中国家,而且以非洲最多
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
85 percent of global disease burden for cardiovascular disease is in developing countries -- not in the West -- and yet 90 percent of the resources are in the West. 在发展中国家,85%的全球性疾病会加重心血管疾病 而西方国家没有这种情况 然而90%的医疗资源却集中在西方国家
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; burden:n.负担;责任;船的载货量;v.使负担;烦扰;装货于; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
Who is at risk? People like you. 哪些人属于危险人群?你们都是
It's not just the Africans that should be concerned about that. 不仅仅非洲人民需要关注
concerned:adj.有关的;关心的;v.关心;与…有关;(concern的过去时和过去分词)
All friends of Africa, that will have reason to be in Africa at some point in time, should be very concerned about this deplorable situation. 所有要在非洲驻扎一段时间的人 都应该关注这个糟糕的状况
deplorable:adj.可叹的;凄惨的;
Has anyone here wondered what will happen if you go back to your room at night and you start getting chest pains, shortness of breath, sweating? 你们是否有想过 如果某天晚上回卧室时 突然觉得胸闷气短、不停出汗,要怎么办
shortness:n.不足;简略;
You're having a heart attack . What are you going to do? 这可是心脏病突发,你们会怎么处理
heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
Will you fly back to the US, Germany, Europe? 飞回美国,德国,欧洲?
No, you will die. 50 percent will die within 24 hours if not treated . 不能这样,这样会死人的。50%的人在病发后24小时内未经治疗就会死亡
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
This is what's going on. 这就是事实
In a look at the map of the US -- the graph here, 10 million people here, 10 million here. 看看这幅图 最开始的时候美国和尼日利亚同样都有1000万人口
By the time you get to 50, it's almost no one left in Nigeria -- life expectancy's 47. 等你们50岁的时候,尼日利亚估计已经变成空城,人都死了 他们的预期寿命只有47岁
It's not because some people don't survive childhood illnesses -- they do -- but they do not survive after the time that they reach about 45 years old and 50 years old. 不是因为小时候得病死了 而是因为当他们 到45岁至50岁这期间时撑不下去了
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期
And those are the times they're most productive . 但这才是他们产能最大的时期
productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的;
Those are the times that they should be contributing to Africa's development. But they're not there. 他们本应该能 为非洲的发展贡献力量,可人却已经不在了
contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词)
The best way to spiral into a cycle of poverty is to kill the parents. 父母去世是导致贫穷的最快方式
spiral:n.螺旋;旋涡;螺旋形之物;adj.螺旋形的;v.使成螺旋形;vi.盘旋;螺旋形上升; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
If you cannot secure the parents, you cannot grant the security of the African child. 如果不能保证父母的生命 那么孩子的生命也岌岌可危
grant:v.授予;允许;承认;同意;n.拨款;[法]授予物;
What are the risk factors ? 心脏病的诱因有哪些
factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商;
It's very well known . I'm not going to spend a lot of time on those. 众所周知,所以我就不多说了
well known:adj.著名的;众所周知的;清楚明白的;
These are just for information: hypertension , diabetes , obesity , lack of exercise. The usual suspects . 大概就是这些: 高血压,糖尿病,肥胖症,缺乏锻炼,这些都是最常见的诱因
hypertension:n.高血压;过度紧张; diabetes:n.糖尿病;多尿症; obesity:n.肥大,肥胖; suspects:v.怀疑;不信任;(suspect的第三人称单数)
Right here in Tanzania, 30 percent of individuals have hypertension. 在坦桑尼亚,30%的人有高血压
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
20 percent are getting treated. 其中20%在治疗中
Only less than 1 percent are adequately treated. 但只有不到1%的人经历过完整、彻底的治疗
adequately:adv.充分地;足够地;适当地;
If we can treat hypertension alone in Africa, we'll save 250,000 lives a year. That's quite significant! 如果仅治疗非洲人的高血压 每年就能挽回25万人的生命,这个数字很可观
Easy to treat. Look at the situation in Mauritius. 高血压其实蛮好治疗的。看看毛里求斯人民的处境
In eight short years -- we're here talking about HIV , malaria , which is all good. 在未来短短的8年内,艾滋病和疟疾 都不会造成什么重大影响
HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气;
We cannot make the mistakes we've made with malaria and HIV. 请不要再重蹈我们对待艾滋病和疟疾的覆辙
In eight short years, non-communicable diseases will become the leading causes of death in Africa. 在未来短短的8年内,非传染性疾病 将会成为非洲大陆上的主要致死疾病
diseases:n.[医]病(disease的复数);[医]疾病;[植保]病害;疾病种类;
That is something to keep in mind . We can't deal with it with situations like this. 我们必须牢记这一点,我们不能像这样对待病人
keep in mind:记住;
This is a typical African hospital. We can't depend on the elites -- they go to USA, Germany, UK for treatment . Unbelievable . 这是一所典型的非洲医院。我们不能指望那些精英 他们都离开非洲,前往美国,德国或者英国
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; elites:n.精英(elite的复数); treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; Unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
You can't depend on foreign aid alone. 也不能就指望他国援助
Here is the situation: countries are turning inwards . 现在的各个国家都自顾不暇
inwards:adv.向内地;向中心地;
Post 9/11, [the] United States has had a lot of trouble to deal with their own internal issues . 就拿9/11来说,美国国内一片慌乱, 自然把精力都集中在国内事务上
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
So they spend their money trying to fix those problems. 以妥善解决这些问题
You can't rightly -- it's not their responsibility, it is my responsibility. I have to take care of my own problems. 帮助非洲并不是他们的责任 但是我的责任,我要努力处理好这些问题
rightly:adv.正确地;恰当地;公正地;合适地;
If they help, that's good! But that is not my expectation . 如果他们能够提供帮助,那当然好,但这并不能达到我的期望
expectation:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;
These worsening indices of healthcare or health studies in Africa demand a new look. We cannot keep on doing things the way we've always done them. 非洲越来越低的医疗保健指数和越来越少人关注的医疗研究状况 必须改变,我们不能一直 停滞不前
worsening:n.恶化;变坏;adj.日益恶化的;v.恶化(worsen的ing形式);使变得更坏; indices:n.目录(index的复数);
If they have not worked, we have to look for alternative solutions. 如果办法不奏效,我们必须找到其他有用的办法替代
alternative:adj.供选择的;选择性的;交替的;n.二中择一;供替代的选择;
I'm here to talk to you about solutions. 我要说的是解决方法,如何改善当前这个局面
This has been what has been a difficult sign to some of us. 这是令我们头疼的问题
Several years ago, we started thinking about it. 几年前,我们就开始研究这方面的问题
Everyone knows the problem. No one knows what the solutions are. 每个人都知道症结所在,但没人知道对症下药
We decided that we need to put our money where our mouth is. 我们决定要把钱花在刀刃上
Everyone is ready to throw in money in terms of free money aid to developing countries. 当有人免费援助发展中国家的时候 每个人都兴奋不已
Talk about sustainable investment ! No one is interested. .但说到持续投资,却没人回应
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的; investment:n.投资;投入;封锁;
You can't raise money. 这样是筹不到钱的
I have done businesses in healthcare in the United States -- 我在美国有从事医疗保健方面的业务
I live in Nashville , Tennessee , healthcare capital of America. 我住在田纳西州的纳什维尔,那里是美国医疗保健的中心
Nashville:n.那什维尔(美国田纳西州首府); Tennessee:n.田纳西州(美国州名);
[It's] very easy to raise money for healthcare ventures . 在那从事医疗保健的企业筹款是件是件很容易的事
ventures:n.合资企业(venture的复数); v.敢尝试,冒险一试(venture的第三人称单数);
But start telling them, you know, we're going to try to do it in Nigeria -- everyone runs away. 但如果告诉投资者 我们打算在尼日利亚开展这项业务,没人予以理睬
That is totally wrong. Those of you in the audience here, if you want to help Africa: invest money in sustainable development . 其实这种想法是完全错误的,现场的观众, 如果你们想要帮助非洲,就要持续投资
sustainable development:可持续发展;
Let me lead you through a day in the life of the Heart Institute so you get a glimpse of what we do, and I'll talk a little bit more about it. 我来带你们看看心脏研究所一天的运作情况 让你们了解我们所做的 然后我再说点有关这个
Institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院; get a glimpse of:瞥见;
What we have done is to show that high quality healthcare, comparable to the best anywhere in the world, can be done in a developing-country environment. 我们在发展中国家建立了一所 足以媲美世界上顶级医疗保健中心的 高质量的医疗中心
comparable to:可比较的,比得上的;
We have 25 positions right now -- all of them trained, board certified in the US, Canada or Britain. 这个中心现在设有25个岗位,每个上岗人员 都在美国、加拿大活英国经过培训,并取得证书
certified:adj.被证明了的; v.(尤指书面)证明,证实; (certify的过去式和过去分词)
We have every modality that can be done in Vanderbilt, 我们拥有范德毕特大学,
modality:n.形式,形态;程序;物理疗法;主要的感觉;
Cleveland Clinic -- everywhere in the US -- and we do it for about 10 percent of the cost that you will need to do those things in the United States. 克利夫兰诊所,甚至是美国其他所有的地方都能做的模态分析系统 但我们的收费只有 美国的十分之一
Clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
(Applause) (掌声)
Additionally , we have a policy that no one is ever turned away because of ability to pay. 另外,我们还有一个规定, 不能以支付能力为由将人拒之门外
Additionally:adv.另外;此外;加之; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
We take care of everyone. 我们帮助所有需要帮助的人
(Applause) (掌声)
Whether you have one dollar, two dollars -- it doesn't matter. 你只有1美元或2美元,都没关系
And I will tell you how we're able to do it. 让我告诉你们这一切是如何办到的
We make sure that we select our equipment properly. 确保选择正确的仪器
We go for modular units. Units that have multi-modality functions have modular components . Easy to repair , and because of that, we do not take things that are not durable and cannot last. 选择具有模块化单元的仪器。各个单元都能实现多模融合(不同成像方式的图像融合), 含有模块化组件。易于修理,因此 我们选择的仪器都是耐用的
modular:adj.模块化的;模数的;有标准组件的; components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数); repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮; durable:adj.耐用的;耐久的;长期的;长久的;n.耐久品;
We emphasize training, and we make sure that this process is regenerative . 在我们这里,培训是重点 我们确保培训这一环节能够不断地传承下去,
emphasize:v.强调;重视;着重;使突出; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; regenerative:adj.再生的,更生的;更新的;
Very soon we will all be dead and gone, but the problems will stay unless we have people taking over from where we stopped. 不久的将来,我们这一任将会老死离去,但除非 我们找到继任者,将我们的志愿继承发扬,否则问题依然存在
We made sure that we produced some things ourselves. 我们确保自产自用
We do not buy unit doses of radiopharmaceuticals. 不是从别处购买单位计量的放射性药物
doses:v.服药(dose的三单形式);n.[药][核]剂量(dose的复数);
We get the generators from the companies. 而是买来生产机器
generators:n.[电]发电机;[计]生成器(generator的复数);
We manufacture them in-house ourselves. That keeps the costs down. 进行内部生产,这样就降低了成本
manufacture:v.(用机器)大量生产; n.大量制造; in-house:adv.内部地;adj.内部的;
So, for a radiopharmaceutical in the US -- that you'll get a unit dose for 250 dollars -- when we're finished manufacturing it in-house, we come at a price of about two dollars. 因此,在美国要花 250美元才能买到单位计量的放射性药物 在我们这边内部生产的 只要花2美元
manufacturing:n.制造业;工业;v.制造;生产(manufacture的现在分词);
(Applause) (掌声)
We recognize that the only way to bridge the gap between the rich and poor countries is through education and technology . 我们意识到要缩短 富国和穷国的差距 必须通过教育和科技
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
All these problems we're talking about -- if we bring development, they will all disappear . 如果能够取得发展, 所有这些刚刚说到的问题都会迎刃而解
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在;
Technology is a great equalizer . How do we make it work? 科技起的作用举足轻重,我们又是如何利用科技的?
equalizer:n.均衡器,[电]平衡器;平衡装置;使相等的东西;
It's been proved: self-care is cost effective . 事实证明:自我保健具有成本效益
self-care:n.自顾;利己; effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象;
It extends opportunity to the rural centers, and we can use expertise in a very smart way. 能够拓展农村市场的机会 通过巧妙地运用自我保健专业知识
extends:v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;延长;使延期;(extend的第三人称单数) rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见;
This is the way our centers are set up. 我们建立了自己的医疗中心
We currently have three locations in the Caribbean , and we're planning a fourth one. 目前我们在加勒比海有三家医疗中心 第四家的开业正在筹备中
currently:adv.当前;一般地; locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数) Caribbean:adj.加勒比海的;加勒比人的;加勒比语的;n.加勒比海;
And we have now decided to go into Africa. 并且我们决定要进军非洲
We will be doing the West African Heart Institute in Port Harcourt, Nigeria. That project will be starting within the next few months. We hope to open in 2008-09. 在尼日利亚的哈科特港 我们要建立西非心脏研究所,这个项目将在 接下来的几个月内启动,我们希望2008-09年就能正式投入运营
And we will do other centers. 我们还会继续筹划更多的研究中心
This model can be adapted to every disease process. 这个模式适用于每个疾病治疗流程
adapted:adj.适于…的; v.使适应,使适合; (adapt的过去分词和过去式)
All the units, all the centers, are linked through a switched hub to a central server, and all the images are populated to review stations. 所有的环节,所有的研究中心, 通过交换式集线器连接到一个中央服务器上 所有的图像都能在视图站中看到
hub:n.中心;毂;木片; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) populated:v.生活于;
And we designed this telemedicine solution . It's proprietary to us, and we are happy to share what we have learned with anyone who is interested in doing it. You can still be profitable . 我们设计了这个远程医疗方案,这是我们的专利 我们愿意跟其他人分享这一切 并同时使他们保持盈利
telemedicine:n.(通过遥测,电视,电话等方式求诊的)远距离医学; solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; proprietary:n.所有权;所有人;adj.所有的;专利的;私人拥有的; profitable:adj.有利可图的;赚钱的;有益的;
We make sure that the telemedicine platform gives access to expert medical specialists anywhere in the world, just by a click of the button. 只需点击鼠标 远程医疗系统就能 连接上世界各地的医学专家
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处;
I'll lead you through to see how this happens. 现在我们看看这整套流程
This is at the Heart Institute. The doctors from anywhere can log in. 这是心脏研究所,世界各地的医生都能登录
I can call you in Switzerland and say, "Listen, go into our system. 我可以在瑞士打电话给你,“请登录我们的系统,
Look at Mrs. Jones. Look at the study, tell me what you think." 看看琼斯太太的诊断图,告诉我们你的建议。”
They'll give me that information, and we'll make the care of the patient better. 医生们就会据此给出一些讯息 有了这些专家的讯息,病人的治疗就更有保障
patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者;
The patient doesn't have to travel. 病人们不需要长途跋涉
He doesn't have to experience the anxiety of not knowing because of limited expertise. 不会因为缺乏专家意见 而焦躁不安
anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; limited:adj.有限的; n.高级快车; v.限制; (limit的过去分词和过去式)
We also use [an] electronic medical record system. 我们还有一套电子病历系统
electronic:adj.电子的;电子器件的;电子设备的;
I'm happy to say that the things we have implemented -- 80 percent of US practices do not have them and yet the technology is there. 我很自豪地告诉你们,在美国,80%的医疗手段中还没能采取 这些应用在研究中心的技术
implemented:v.使生效;贯彻;执行;实施;(implement的过去式和过去分词)
But you know, they have that luxury . 但是美国人有条件
luxury:n.奢侈,奢华;奢侈品;享受;adj.奢侈的;
Because if you can't get it in Nashville, you can travel to Birmingham , two hours away, and you'll get it. If you can't get it in Cleveland, you can go to Cincinnati . We don't have that luxury, so we have to make it happen. 如果纳什维尔治不了,可以去伯明翰 只有两小时的路程而已;如果克利夫兰治不了, 可以去辛辛那提,但非洲人民没有这种条件 因此我们只能通过科技来改变这种状况
Birmingham:n.伯明翰(英国一座城市); Cincinnati:n.辛辛那提(美国俄亥俄州西南部城市);
When we do it, we will put the cost of care down. 同时降低看病的成本
And we'll extend it to the rural centers and make it affordable . 我们要把业务拓展到农村地区,并且使当地人都能负担得起
affordable:adj.负担得起的;
And everyone will get the care they deserve . 每个人都能得到治疗
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
It cannot just be technology, we recognize that. 但我们意识到仅仅依靠科技是不够的
Prevention must be part of the solution -- we emphasize that. 预防也是我们所强调的解决方案
Prevention:n.预防;阻止;妨碍;
But you know, you have to tell people what can be done. 但一定要是切合实际的
It's not possible to tell people to do what is going to be expensive and they go home and can't do it. 你可以跟病人说将要进行的治疗花费高昂 可这么说只能导致他们回家,因为负担不起
They need to be alive, they need to feed. 他们需要活命,需要养家糊口
We recommend exercise as the most effective, simple, easy thing to do. 我们推荐运动,因为运动是最有效、最简单的预防疾病的方法
recommend:v.推荐;介绍;劝告;建议;使受欢迎;
We have had walks every year -- every March, April. 每年的三月和四月是“行走月”
We form people into groups and make them go into challenges. 我们将病人分组,让他们互相竞赛
Which group loses the most weight, we give them prizes. 减重最多的那组将得到奖励
Which groups record more walking distance by pedometer , we give them prizes. We do this constantly . 通过计步器计算出的行走最多的那组 也会得到奖励,我们一直支持这项活动
pedometer:n.步程计,步数计; constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
We encourage them to bring children. 同时我们也鼓励病人带上孩子一起运动
That way we start exposing the children from very early on, on what these issues are. Because once they learn it, they will stay with it. In doing this we have created at least 100 skilled jobs in Jamaica alone, and these are physicians with expertise and special training. 从小就给孩子灌输 锻炼身体预防疾病的观念,一旦孩子们有了这种观念 他们就会坚持锻炼。通过开展这项活动 仅在牙买加,我们就创造了至少100个技术类工作 这些医师经过特别培训,具有专业的医学知识
exposing:v.暴露;显露;揭露;揭穿;使面临;(expose的现在分词) skilled:adj.熟练的;有技能的;需要技能的; Jamaica:n.牙买加(拉丁美洲一个国家); physicians:n.[内科]内科医生(physician的复数);
We have taken care of over 1,000 indigent patients that could have died, including four free pacemakers in patients with complete heart block. For those that understand cardiology , complete heart block means certain death. 我们挽回了1000多个十分贫困的病人的生命 包括为四个患有完全性心传导阻滞的病人 免费提供心脏起搏器。对于了解心脏病学的人来说 完全性心传导阻滞意味着濒临死亡
indigent:adj.贫困的;贫穷的(副词indigently); patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数) pacemakers:[基医]起搏器; cardiology:n.[内科]心脏病学;
If you don't get this pacemaker, you will be dead. 如果没有心脏起搏器,病人将会死亡
So we are pleased with that. 能帮助病人我们觉得很欣慰
Indirectly , we have saved the government of Jamaica 5 million dollars from people that would have gone to Miami or Atlanta for care. 因为病人们无需飞到迈阿密活亚特兰大看病 我们间接替牙买加政府省了500万美元
Indirectly:adv.间接地;不诚实;迂回地; Atlanta:n.亚特兰大(美国城市);
And we've hopefully saved a lot of lives. 而且我们有能力挽救很多生命
By the end of this year we would have contributed over 1 million dollars in indigent care. In the first four months it's been 340,000 dollars, averaging 85,000 dollars a month. The government will not do that, because they have competing needs. 到今年末,我们在贫困病人的治疗上 已经投入了100多万美元。前四个月投入34万美元 平均下来每月8万5。政府就没法给予这么大力度的支持 需要资金的地方很多
contributed:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物); (contribute的过去式和过去分词) competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词)
They need to put resources elsewhere . But we can still do it. 政府只能拨款给其他更需要的方面。但我们就不同了,我们能够支持这方面的发展
elsewhere:adv.在别处;到别处;
Because people say, "How can you do that?" This is how we can do that. 人们问:”你们怎么能做到?” 我们就是做到了
At least 4,000 rich Jamaicans that were heading to Miami for treatment have self-confessed that they did not go to Miami, because of the Heart Institute of the Caribbean. 至少4000个打算前往迈阿密看病的有钱人 承认他们实际上没去 因为加勒比海有一个心脏研究所
self-confessed:adj.公开承认的;
And if they went to Miami they will spend significantly more -- eight to 10 times more. And they feel happy spending it at home, getting the same quality of care. 如果他们去迈阿密,那么花费将是 现在同等医疗水平的8至10倍, 他们很开心可以将省下来的这笔钱花在家庭开销上
significantly:adv.意味深长地;值得注目地;
And for that money -- for every one patient that has the money to pay -- it gives us an opportunity to take care of at least four people that do not have the resources to pay. 省下的这笔钱 可以囊括至少4个付不起医药费的 病人的治疗费用
(Applause) (掌声)
For this to work, this progress must be sustainable. 但关键是,我们必须持之以恒地支持这方面事业
So we emphasize training. Training is critical . 我们强调培训,培训是十分重要的
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的;
We have gone further: we have formed a relationship with the University of Technology, Jamaica, where I now have an appointment . 我们不满足于现状,我们与 牙买加的理工大学建立了合作关系 现在我手头上就有一个合同
appointment:n.任命;约定;任命的职位;
And we are starting a biomedical engineering program, so that we will train people locally who can repair that equipment. 我们开展一个生物医学工程项目 这样就能在当地进行培训,让工作人员学会修理仪器
biomedical:adj.生物医学的; engineering:n.工程;工程学;v.密谋策划;设计制造;改变…的基因;(engineer的现在分词) locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上;
That way we're not going to deal with obsolescence and all those kinds of issues. 我们就不用处理机器淘汰之类的问题
obsolescence:n.[生物]退化;荒废;
We're also starting ancillary healthcare technology training programs -- training people in echocardiography, cardiac ultrasound , those kind of things. Now with that kind of training, it gives people motivation . 我们还开展了辅助医疗技术培训 例如超声心动图,心脏超声检查等 通过这类培训 能够鞭策员工
ancillary:adj.辅助的;副的;从属的;n.助手;附件; cardiac:n.强心剂;强胃剂;adj.心脏的;心脏病的;贲门的; ultrasound:n.超声;超音波; motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动;
Because now they will get a bachelors degree in medical imaging and all that kind of stuff . In the process, I want you to just hear from the trainees themselves what it has meant for them. 因为他们能够获得医学成像学士学位 现在我想让你们听听 我们的培训学员是怎么说的
bachelors:n.学士学位;单身汉;学士;未交配的雄兽;(bachelors是bachelor的复数) imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式) stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: trainees:n.[经管]实习生;[劳经]受训人员(trainee的复数);训练中的动物;
(Video) Dr. Jason Topping: My name is Jason Topping, (视频)Jason Topping 医生:我是Jason Topping
I'm a senior resident in anesthesia in intensive care at the University Hospital of the West Indies . 来自西印度大学医院 是重症监护方面的高级麻醉医师
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; resident:adj.居住的;住院医师;定居的;n.居民; anesthesia:n.麻醉;麻木(等于anaesthesia); intensive care:n.(医院里的)特别护理病房;重症监护; West Indies:n.西印度群岛(位于加勒比海和大西洋之间,包括安的列斯群岛和巴哈马群岛);
I came to the Heart Institute in 2006 as part of my elective in my anesthesia and intensive care program. 2006年来到这个心脏研究所 因为我有麻醉学和重症监护方面的选修课程
elective:adj.选修的;选举的;选任的;n.选修课程;
I spent three months at the Heart Institute. 我在心脏研究所待了3个月
There's been no doubt around my colleagues about the utility of the training I received here, and I think there's been an increased interest now in -- particularly in echocardiography and its use in our setting. 我的同事都 对我在这里所受的培训给予肯定 我认为现在 超声心动图及其在我们的实际应用中的关注率日益增加
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); utility:n.公用事业;实用;实用程序;adj.多用途的;多效用的; particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
Sharon Lazarus: I am an echocardiographer at the Heart Institute of the Caribbean since the past two years. I received training at this Institution . Sharon Lazarus: 我是加勒比海心脏研究所的一名超声心动图操作员 在过去的两年里,我一直都在所里接受培训
Institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
I think this aspect of training in cardiology that the Heart Institute of the Caribbean has introduced in Jamaica is very important in terms of diagnosing cardiac diseases. 我认为研究所在牙买加 引进的这方面的培训 对诊断心脏疾病能起到非常重要的作用
aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位; diagnosing:n.诊断;v.诊断(diagnose的现在分词);
Ernest Madu: The lesson in this is that it can be done and it can be sustained and you can make it possible for everyone. 但是最关键的是我们的培训能够进行并且持续下去 为人们提供帮助
sustained:adj.持续的; v.维持; (sustain的过去分词和过去式)
Who are we to decide that poor people cannot get the best care? 谁说穷人就不能享受最好的治疗
When have you been appointed to play God? 谁规定你就得扮演上帝,帮助他人
appointed:adj.(时间)指定的,约定的; v.任命; (appoint的过去分词和过去式)
It is not my decision. My job is to make sure that every person, no matter what fate has assigned to you, will have the opportunity to get the best quality healthcare in life. 我做不了决定,但我的任务就是确保每个人 无论贫富贵贱,都能享有同等机会 接受最好的治疗
no matter what:不管什么…; assigned:v.分配(某物);分派;指定;委派;(assign的过去分词和过去式)
Next stop is West African Heart Institute, that we are going to be doing in Port Harcourt, Nigeria, as I said before. We will do other centers across West Africa. 我们下一步计划是 在尼日利亚哈科特港 开一个西非心脏研究所
as I said:正如我所说的
We will extend the same system into other areas, like dialysis treatment. 当然也会在其他地区设立同样的研究机构 例如透析治疗研究所
dialysis:n.[医][分化]透析;[分化]渗析;
And anyone who is interested in doing it in any healthcare situation, we will be happy to assist you and tell you how we've done it and how you can do it. If we do this, we can change the face of healthcare in Africa. 任何人如果对医疗保健方面感兴趣 我们乐于协助你们,并分享我们的经验 帮助你们达成。如果大家共同致力于这方面 非洲的医疗保健水平定将发生翻天覆地的变化
Africa has been good to us; it is time for us to give back to Africa. 非洲养育了我们,是时候轮到我们回报它了
I am going. Those who want to come, 我将投身于改善非洲的医疗保健事业,志同道合的朋友们
I welcome you to come along with me. 欢迎你们加入我,让我们同行。
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause) (掌声)