|
|
ErikHersman_2009U-_通过发短信来报告危机事件_
|
So I'm here to tell you a story of success from Africa. |
在这里,我要跟大家分享一个在非洲的成功故事。 |
A year and a half ago, four of the five people who are full time members at Ushahidi, which means " testimony " in Swahili, were TED Fellows. |
一年半以前 在这里的5个人 是Ushahidi的专职委员 “Ushahidi”在斯瓦希利语里的意思是“证据” 其中4个人是TED的同道中人 |
full time:adj.专职的;全日制的;全部时间的; testimony:n.[法]证词,证言;证据;
|
A year ago in Kenya we had post-election violence . |
一年前在肯尼亚的一次选举后发生了一起暴力事件 |
post-election:选举后; violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
|
And in that time we prototyped and built, in about three days, a system that would allow anybody with a mobile phone to send in information and reports on what was happening around them. |
而在那个时候我们利用短短三天 建造了一个系统平台的雏形 这个系统平台允许任何人通过手机 发信息和报告那些发生在他们周围的事情 |
prototyped:n.原型; (prototype的过去分词) mobile phone:移动电话
|
We took what we knew about Africa, the default device , the mobile phone, as our common denominator , and went from there. |
我们把我们所认识的非洲 默认装置 手机,作为我们的共同点 信息就是来源于那里 |
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行; device:n.装置;策略;图案; denominator:n.[数]分母;命名者;共同特征或共同性质;平均水平或标准;
|
We got reports like this. |
我们收到这样类似的报告 |
This is just a couple of them from January 17th, last year. |
这只是在去年1月17日众多短信里的几条 |
And our system was rudimentary . It was very basic. |
那时候我们的系统平台发展还未成熟,非常基本的 |
rudimentary:adj.基本的;初步的;退化的;残遗的;未发展的;
|
It was a mash-up that used data that we collected from people, and we put it on our map. |
我们从人民那里收集数据,这是一个混合模式 然后我们把它标在在地图上 |
mash-up:混聚;
|
But then we decided we needed to do something more. |
但是那时我们意识到我们需要做更多东西 |
We needed to take what we had built and create a platform out of it so that it could be used elsewhere in the world. |
我们需要更好地利用这个已经建立 和创造好的平台,以便它能够在世界其他地方中应用 |
platform:n.平台; v.把…放在台上[放在高处; elsewhere:adv.在别处;到别处;
|
And so there is a team of developers from all over Africa, who are part of this team now, from Ghana, from Malawi , from Kenya. |
于是产生了一个开发人员的团队 现在,团队成员有来自非洲各地 来自加纳、马拉维和肯尼亚 |
developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数); Malawi:n.马拉维(非洲国家);
|
There is even some from the U.S. |
甚至有一部分是来自美国的 |
We're building for smartphones , so that it can be used in the developed world, as well as the developing world. |
我们正在开发智能手机,以便于它不仅能够在发达国家里使用 也能在发展中国家里使用 |
smartphones:智能手机(smartphone的复数); as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
We are realizing that this is true. |
我们渐渐意识到这是正确的 |
If it works in Africa then it will work anywhere. |
如果它在非洲管用的话,那么它在任何地方都管用 |
And so we build for it in Africa first and then we move to the edges. |
于是我们先在非洲建立它 然后再向外发展 |
It's now been deployed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. |
现在已经在刚果民主共和国做好系统的部署 |
deployed:v.部署(deploy的过去式);展开; Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的;
|
It's being used by NGOs all over east Africa. |
东非很多的非政府组织也有使用 |
Small NGOs doing their own little projects. |
小型的非政府组织做他们自己的小项目 |
Just this last month it was deployed by |
就在上个月,我们把这系统应用到 |
Al Jazeera in Gaza. |
加沙的半岛电视台 |
But that's actually not what I'm here to talk about. |
但是实际上这不是我在这里要讲的东西 |
I'm here to talk about the next big thing because what we're finding out is that we have this capacity to report eyewitness accounts of what's going on, in real time . |
我在这里要谈论另一件重要事情 因为我们发现 我们有能力 根据目击者所叙述的真实情况进行实时报道 |
capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力; eyewitness:n.目击者;见证人; real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
|
We're seeing this in events like Mumbai recently . |
就像最近发生在孟买的几起事件让我们意识到这点 |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Where it's so much easier to report now than it is to consume it. |
现在在那里,报道消息比隐瞒消息 变得容易多了 |
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
|
There is so much information; what do you do? |
有这么多的信息,你要怎么做呢? |
This is the Twitter reports for over three days just covering Mumbai. |
这是三天以来Twitter的消息 仅仅关于孟买地区的消息 |
How do you decide what is important? |
你如何决定哪一条消息才是重要的呢? |
What is the veracity level of what you're looking at? |
而你所看到的消息,它们的真实性又有多高呢? |
veracity:n.诚实;精确性;老实;说真实话;
|
So what we find is that there is this great deal of wasted crisis information because there is just too much information for us to actually do anything with right now. |
我们发现 充斥着大量多余的危机信息 因为对于我们来说存在着太多的信息 需要马上处理 |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
What we're actually really concerned with is this first three hours. |
而实际上我们真正关注的 是头三个小时 |
concerned with:关心;涉及;忙于;与…有关;
|
What we are looking at is the first three hours. |
我们在头三个小时所注意到的 |
How do we deal with that information that is coming in? |
我们如何处理那些流进的信息呢? |
You can't understand what is actually happening. |
你不可能知道到底正在发生什么事情 |
On the ground and around the world people are still curious , and trying to figure out what is going on. But they don't know. |
无论是在现场还是世界各地的 人们都是很好奇的 并尝试去了解清楚事情的进展。然而他们并不知情。 |
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
|
So what we built of course, Ushahidi, is crowdsourcing this information. |
那么当然在Ushahidi我们所建立的 正是要把这些信息人肉资源化 |
crowdsourcing:众包;群众外包;众包模式;
|
You see this with Twitter, too. You get this information overload . |
你在Twitter上看到的情况也是一样的。你得到超负荷的信息。 |
overload:vt.超载,超过负荷;n.超载;负荷过多;
|
So you've got a lot of information. That's great. |
那么你得到了许多资信。那实在太好了。 |
But now what? |
但是现在接下来呢? |
So we think that there is something interesting we can do here. |
于是我们想到我们能够做一些有趣的事情 |
And we have a small team who is working on this. |
我们有一个小团队做这方面的工作 |
We think that we can actually create a crowdsourced filter . |
我们觉得我们实际上能够创造 一个人肉资源过滤器 |
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行;
|
Take the crowd and apply them to the information. |
吸纳这些群众以及把他们应用到信息上 |
apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
|
And by rating it and by rating the different people who submit information, we can get refined results and weighted results. |
然后通过把它分等级类别 把提交信息的人分不同等级类别 我们能够得到精确的结果 和衡量过的结果 |
submit:vt.使服从;主张;呈递;vi.提交;服从; refined:adj.精制的; v.精炼;
|
So that we have a better understanding of the probability of something being true or not. |
以致我们有一个更好的了解 这些信息的真实程度 |
probability:n.可能性;机率;[数]或然率;
|
This is the kind of innovation that is, quite frankly -- it's interesting that it's coming from Africa. |
这种革新 十分直接——有趣的是这个革新来自非洲 |
innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
|
It's coming from places that you wouldn't expect. |
来自一些你意想不到的地方 |
From young, smart developers. |
来自一群年轻有为的开发者 |
And it's a community around it that has decided to build this. |
有一个围绕着它的共同团体决定要建立它 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
So, thank you very much. |
最后,非常感谢大家 |
And we are very happy to be part of the TED family. |
我们很高兴成为TED大家庭的一份子 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |