|
|
EricSannerud_2018X-_有农民才能有饭吃、有衣穿、有酒喝_
|
So what do people usually say when you're about to give a public talk? |
要上台演讲前, 人们通常怎么说来着? |
It's to imagine that your audience is naked . |
想象你的观众都是没穿衣服的。 |
naked:adj.裸体的;无装饰的;无证据的;直率的;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Well, I'm doing a different trick tonight, and I'm going to imagine all of us without farmers, and well, it's not so much different. |
我今天换个别的技巧, 我要想象的是,如何没有农民, 大家的生活会是什么样, 其实,也没太大区别。 |
[Without farmers you'd be hungry, naked and sober] |
【没有农民,你没饭吃、 没衣服穿、没酒喝】 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And our farmers do so much more for us than simply feed and clothe and provide us excellent things to drink. |
农民为我们做了太多事, 不仅是食物、衣服和美酒。 |
Our farmers are an important part of all of our communities , particularly our rural communities. |
农民是我们所有社区里 非常重要的部分, 特别是在农村。 |
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数) particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的;
|
And more than that, they're a strong driver of resilient economics. |
不仅如此, 农民还是弹性经济 强劲的推动力。 |
resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的;
|
Think about it this way: |
举个例子: |
When a brewer buys hops from me, grown here in Minnesota , 90 percent of that dollar stays in our state, compared to just 10 percent when they buy it from somewhere else. |
如果酿酒厂从我这里购买 明尼苏达州本地种植的酒花, 90% 的钱会留在我们州, 相反,如果从其他地方买酒花, 留在明州的只有 10%。 |
hops:n.啤酒花; Minnesota:n.明尼苏达州(美国中北部洲); compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
|
What that means is a lot. |
这件事意味着很多东西。 |
That 90 percent means local jobs. |
这 90% 意味着本地工作岗位; |
It means tax revenue for better schools and roads. |
意味着这些税收可以用来 修建更好的学校和道路; |
revenue:n.收益;营业额;税务署;
|
It means support for the co-ops , the mechanics , all the support staff that are needed for a farm to thrive . |
意味着能支持合作社、机械工, 支持农场所需要的 一切从业人员。 |
co-ops:消费合作社(co-op的复数); mechanics:n.机械师;机械修理工;技工;力学;机械学;(mechanic的复数) thrive:v.繁荣;茁壮成长;蓬勃发展;兴旺发达;
|
And they're our best stewards of the land. |
他们是土地的最佳管理者。 |
stewards:n.干事; v.管理;
|
This quote , I think, exemplifies what our family farmers do for us in stewarding our shared natural resources . |
我认为,这句话道出了 在管理自然资源方面 家庭农场的贡献。 |
quote:v.引用;报价;举例说明;开价;为(企业的股份)上市;n.引用; exemplifies:v.是…的典型(或典范、榜样); (exemplify的第三人称单数) stewarding:n.管家; v.当服务员; (steward的现在分词) resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
'"That land is a community is the basic concept of ecology, but that land is to be loved and respected as an extension of ethics ." |
“土地是一个社区, 这是生态学基本概念, 但对土地的爱和尊重 是伦理道德的延伸。” |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; extension:n.延长;延期;扩大;伸展;电话分机; ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
|
Now, they sure do a lot of good stuff for us. |
当然,土地肯定会 带给我们很多好处。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
And our family farmers are great, we'd all agree. |
家庭农场也很棒,大家都同意。 |
However, the trends in agriculture today are dire . |
但是, 如今农业的发展趋势很可怕。 |
trends:n.趋势;倾向;动态;动向;(trend的第三人称单数和复数) dire:adj.可怕的;悲惨的;极端的;
|
The average age of a farmer in America, according to the latest agricultural census -- 58.3. |
最新的农业人口普查结果显示: 美国农民的平均年龄是 58.3 岁。 |
according to:根据,据说; agricultural:adj.农业的;农艺的; census:vt.实施统计调查;n.人口普查,人口调查;
|
Of all the farmers, 33 percent are 65 plus. |
所有农民中, 33% 在 65 岁以上。 |
That's a little caricature of my grandpa. |
这漫画头像是我爷爷。 |
caricature:n.漫画;讽刺画;漫画手法;vt.画成漫画讽刺;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
He's still farming, and he's much older than 65. |
他还在“干农活”, 他早就过了 65 岁。 |
But to put that in perspective , another important public service job, teaching, average age of teachers is 42. |
与之相比, 另一个重要的公共服务岗位:教师, 从业者的平均年龄是 42 岁。 |
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; public service:n.公共事业;公营事业;公益事业(或服务);政府;
|
Our farmers are pretty old in this country. |
这个国家的农民真的很老了。 |
And unfortunately , when they retire, if they retire, we're not really replacing them. |
不幸的是, 他们退休时——如果他们退休了—— 没有新人来补充。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
Of all the farmers that we added in this country between 2008 and 2012, across the entire United States -- see if you can catch this difference -- we added 2,000 under the age of 30. |
在 2008 到 2012 年间, 整个美国范围内 新增的农民—— 试下能不能看出区别—— 增加了 2000 名 30 岁以下的农民。 |
United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) under the age of:在年龄之下;16岁以下;
|
I'm one of those. |
我就是其中一个。 |
I'll be around to autograph some photos later, if you'd like. |
待会儿我会留下跟大家合影的。 |
autograph:n.亲笔,手稿;亲笔签名;vt.亲笔签名于…;亲笔书写;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But, you know, our farmers are getting older and we're not replacing them -- what's going on here? |
但是,农民越来越老, 却没有新人补充, 到底怎么回事? |
What are we going to do? |
我们该怎么办? |
And I think there's a reason folks aren't coming into it, and that's prices. |
我认为没人来做农民的原因, 就是低收入。 |
We're going to go through a couple of slides like this. |
来看几张图吧。 |
Milk: This is the average retail price of a gallon of milk in the United States. |
|
retail:vt.零售;转述;vi.零售;n.零售;adv.以零售方式;adj.零售的; gallon:n.加仑
|
Four dollars forty-nine cents. |
4.49 美元。 |
How much do you think the farmer gets? |
你觉得农民能拿到多少? |
Dollar thirty-two. |
1.32 美元。 |
We'll try again with bread. |
再看看面包。 |
Average retail price of bread in America, three forty-nine. |
美国的面包平均零售价, 3.49 美元。 |
Farmer gets ... |
农民能拿到 |
Twelve cents. |
0.12 美元。 |
Audience: Oh! |
观众:啊?! |
And so how are we supposed to have strong local farms in this scenario ? |
那在这种情况下,怎么可能 发展本地农场? |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) scenario:n.方案;情节;剧本;
|
What are we supposed to do if there aren't any local farmers left? |
如果本地没有农场了, 我们怎么办? |
And this isn't just a farmer problem, it's not just something for the few of us farmers to sort out. |
这不只是农民的问题, 不仅仅是我们几个农民要解决的事。 |
This is an all-of-us problem. |
这是关乎每一个人的问题。 |
This is rural and it's urban and it's statewide and it's nationwide. |
是农村、城市、全州、全国的问题。 |
urban:adj.城市的;都市的;城镇的;都市音乐的; statewide:adj.遍及全州的;遍及全州地;
|
So what do we do about it? |
那么我们要做些什么? |
I'll tell you that. |
我会告诉你们答案。 |
But first, a story. |
但首先,我要讲个故事。 |
The green movement, we're all kind of familiar , started in the '60s, planting trees. |
绿色运动,我们都比较熟悉, 60 年代开始的全民种树运动。 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
And now we've come such a long way. |
现在已经发展得非常好。 |
Green is part of our day-to-day lives. |
绿色变成日常生活的一部分。 |
day-to-day:adj.日常的;逐日的;
|
It's part of the day-to-day lives of Fortune 500 businesses. |
也是世界五百强的日常。 |
Fortune:n.财富;命运;运气;v.给予财富,偶然发生
|
It's the subject of international treaties , the subject of presidential debates . |
它是国际条约的主题, 总统辩论的主题。 |
treaties:n.条约;协定问题(treaty的复数); presidential:adj.总统的;首长的;统辖的; debates:n.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的复数);v.[法]辩论;讨论(debate的三单形式);
|
You and I, we switch our light bulbs , we use reusable bags. |
至于你我,我们换节能灯泡, 不用塑料袋。 |
bulbs:n.[电]灯泡;[植]鳞茎;大浇斗(bulb的复数);
|
We participate in the green movement each and every day. |
我们每一天都在参与绿色运动。 |
participate:v.参加;参与;
|
Yet ... |
那么, |
and this is how we get to the idea -- the food movement, relatively younger, but also somewhat familiar, I imagine. |
我们借此想到—— 食品运动, 时间比较短, 但我猜大家多少也是了解的。 |
relatively:adv.相当程度上;相当地;相对地; somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微;
|
You go to the grocery store, you see a sign that says "Buy local," |
你到杂货店买东西时, 能看到“买本地产品”的牌子, |
grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货;
|
you go to the farmers market, you go to the co-op, you read books by prominent authors. |
大家到农贸市场、合作社买东西, 优秀作家也为此出书。 |
prominent:adj.突出的,显著的;杰出的;卓越的;
|
The food movement to date could be summarized as voting with your fork. |
食品运动发展到今天 可以总结为“用饭勺投票”。 |
summarized:v.总结,概括;概述(summarize的过去式及过去分词形式);
|
The idea is: you pull a dollar out of your wallet -- how you spend that dollar affects the food system. |
它的理念是:掏出一美元时, 把它花在哪里,影响着食品系统。 |
It supports farmers close to home . |
它能支持你家附近的农民。 |
close to home:触及痛处;
|
And that's all well and good, but where are we going? |
这个想法很好, 但我们的目标是什么呢? |
How do we get to our renewable-energy moment like the green movement did? |
怎样把我们的再生能源运动 发展得像绿色运动一样成功? |
And this, I think, is what we need to do. |
而这些就是我认为我们需要做的。 |
Just voting with our fork is not solving the issues that our farmers are facing. |
仅仅用饭勺投票,并不能解决 农民所面对的问题。 |
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And so we need to do more than that. |
我们要做的不止这些。 |
I believe we must move on from just voting with our fork to voting with our vote. |
我相信必须要从 “用饭勺投票”再进一步, 做到“用投票权投票”。 |
We need to take our dollars and continue to spend them locally . |
我们需要把自己的钱 继续花在本地产品上。 |
locally:adv.在本地;局部地;在地方上;
|
We also need to show up at the ballot box for our farmers. |
我们也需要为了农民 去投票站投票。 |
ballot box:n.投票箱;投票选举制;
|
This is bigger than just buying local strawberries once a year at a pick-your-own . |
与每年在附近采摘草莓相比, 投票更重要。 |
strawberries:n.草莓;(strawberry的复数) pick-your-own:由顾客自摘自采的(水果,蔬菜等);
|
This is a year-round effort that we must make together to make the change we need. |
这是大家要全年一起努力 才能做出改变的事。 |
year-round:adj.(开放,使用或运转等)一年到头的;整年;全年;全年的;
|
Changes like fair pricing for farmers. |
像公平定价这种改变 |
That's quotas , supply management , guaranteed prices. |
需要配额、供应链管理、 价格担保。 |
quotas:n.配额(quota的复数);[经管]定额,[经]限额;v.分配(quota的第三人称单数); management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; guaranteed:adj.必然的; v.保证;
|
Changes like fair and open trade. |
要实现公平贸易、开放贸易这些变化, |
That means ending trade wars. |
意味着要结束贸易战。 |
And yeah, of course it means voting. |
当然,这也意味着投票。 |
Now we all knew that one already, though. |
现在大家都已经知道了。 |
For example, it's working. |
比如,投票是有用的。 |
Hey, who's that? |
嘿,那是谁? (演讲者本人) |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Just this year in Minnesota, we've passed a historic , first-in-the-country tax credit. |
今年,在明尼苏达州, 我们通过了历史性的 全国首创的税收减免政策。 |
historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的;
|
The Beginning Farmer Tax Credit. |
新农民税收减免。 |
It incentivizes our transition of land from the existing generation to the next generation. |
它鼓励我们把土地 从现在的一代传递到下一代。 |
incentivizes:以物质刺激鼓励; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
|
That was done by a handful of us young farmers -- we certainly don't have money, you saw that earlier. |
那是我们几个年轻农民促成的—— 我们当然没钱,前面已经看到了。 |
We don't have political experience. |
我们也没有政治经验。 |
But we showed up, and we made our voices heard. |
但我们站出来了, 人们听到了我们的声音。 |
And thanks to the support of farmers and non-farmers alike, we got something incredible done here in this state. |
感谢大家的支持, 包括农民和非农民, 我们在这个州取得了重大进展。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
If we can do it, anybody can do it. |
如果我们能做到,任何人都能。 |
Now, that was all light and fuzzy and feels pretty happy. |
这些都是轻描淡写, 看起来让人挺开心。 |
fuzzy:adj.模糊的;失真的;有绒毛的;
|
Skeptics in the audience, you're here. |
但观众中也有怀疑论者, |
Skeptics:n.疑论者,怀疑主义者(skeptic的复数形式);
|
That would be me, if I were here. |
如果我在观众席,我也会心存疑虑。 |
Skeptics are thinking, "Wow, what do we need to change about our food system?" |
怀疑论者会想, “哇,食品系统有什么要改的吗?” |
Farmers are great. |
农民很棒啊。 |
We have unlimited food, and it's real cheap, too, isn't that great? |
我们的食物不限量, 还很便宜, 不是很棒吗? |
unlimited:adj.无限制的;无限量的;无条件的;
|
Well, unfortunately, in the '80s and the '90s in this country, we went down a path of policy that could be described as "get big or get out." |
遗憾的是, 美国在 80 和 90 年代, 推出了一系列政策, 简单说就是“要么扩大规模, 要么退出市场”。 |
policy:n.政策,方针;保险单; described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
|
And what "get big or get out" means is you maximize production while minimizing costs. |
它的意思是,要把产量最大化, 同时把成本降到最低。 |
maximize:vt.取…最大值;对…极为重视;vi.尽可能广义地解释;达到最大值; minimizing:v.使减少到最低限度;降低;贬低;使显得不重要;(minimize的现在分词)
|
On its face value , that sounds pretty simple. |
表面上看,好像挺简单。 |
face value:n.面值;
|
However, that shift turned our farmers from a venerated class and a valued class in our society into a cost to be minimized . |
然而,这个变化是把 我们所尊敬的农民阶级, 有社会价值的农民阶级, 变成了需要削减的成本。 |
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; venerated:vt.崇敬,尊敬; minimized:adj.最小化的; v.使减少;
|
That shift made it so that my great-grandfather , who supported the family with six cows, that same dairy , trying to support their family, has to be 600 cows today. |
这种转变的后果是, 以前,我曾祖父用 6 头牛 就能养活一家人, 而现在,同样的奶牛场, 需要 600 头牛 才能养活一家人。 |
great-grandfather:n.曾祖父; dairy:n.奶制品; adj.乳品的;
|
Six-thousand-cow dairies are not unheard of. |
需要 6000 头牛的,也不是没听过。 |
dairies:牛奶场;乳品; unheard:adj.听不到的;未被倾听的;不予理睬的;
|
What happens when there's this one dairy farm in an entire county , where there used to be hundreds? |
一个县区原本有数百家奶牛场, 如果现在只剩一家, 会怎样呢? |
county:n.郡,县;
|
The same could be said with corn or beans or field crops. |
玉米、大豆等大田作物 也是一样的状况。 |
What happens when it takes 10,000 acres for one person to support themselves? |
如果一个人以前种 40 英亩地就能 养活自己,而现在要种一万英亩, |
When it used to only take 40. |
又会发生什么? |
We know what happens, we read about it in the news. |
我们知道发生了什么, 新闻上能看到, |
Broadly determined , rural decline , but schools close, schools consolidate , post offices close, grocery stores close. |
可以概括成农村衰落, 学校关闭或合并, 邮局关闭,杂货店关门。 |
Broadly:adv.明显地;宽广地;概括地;露骨地;粗鄙地; determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式) decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降; consolidate:vt.巩固,使固定;联合;vi.巩固,加强;
|
People leave, the community suffers and goes away. |
人们离开家乡, 社区苦不堪言,最终消失。 |
I believe all of us in this audience with ties to rural Minnesota know this story well. |
我相信在座各位,只要 与本州农村有点关系的, 都很清楚这个状况。 |
This is not a problem that we can solve with farmers markets and good intentions . |
本地农贸市场和良好的意愿 是解决不了这个问题的。 |
intentions:n.目的,意向,意图;打算;(intention的复数)
|
We have to do more for our farmers. |
我们必须做更多事。 |
Policy got us into this mess , and policy can get us out. |
政策让我们陷入今天的困难, 政策也可以让我们脱身。 |
mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
American farmers are only getting older, fewer and poorer, yet they are crucial to our state. |
美国的农民只会 更老、更少、更穷, 然而他们对国家至关重要。 |
crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的;
|
They're the vibrancy in our rural communities. |
他们是农村的活力, |
vibrancy:n.振动;活力;
|
They're the drivers of economic growth and stability , and they are our best protectors of our shared resources of land, water and air. |
是经济增长和稳定的驱动力, 是我们共享的自然资源—— 土地、水和空气的 最佳保护伞。 |
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心; protectors:n.保护者;[电]保护装置(protector的复数);
|
So we have to do better for them. |
所以我们必须更多的帮助农民。 |
So join me, would you? |
跟我一起,好吗? |
Let's fight for our farmers. |
让我们为农民抗争。 |
You can see it, we're already doing it in Minnesota, having great success. |
你们已经看到了, 我们在明尼苏达州 取得了巨大成功。 |
And together, we can do even more. |
众人拾柴火焰高, |
And we must. |
而且我们必须这么做。 |
So we were voting with our fork before, and we want to keep doing that. |
我们一直在支持本地农产品, 我们还要继续这样做。 |
But if I could have one idea for you to go home with today, it's vote with your vote. |
但如果要我提供一个新的想法, 希望你们记住,那就是 用你的投票权去投票。 |
And so to that end, on the count of three, I'd like all of us to say it together. |
最后, 我数到三,请所有人一起说出来。 |
Are you ready? |
准备好了吗? |
OK, one, two, three. |
来,一、 二、 三。 |
Audience: Vote with your vote. |
观众:用投票权投票。 |
Very nice, thank you. |
真好,谢谢你们。 |
I think you got it. |
我想大家都明白了。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |