返回首页

EmilyEsfahaniSmith_2017-_人生不只是要快乐_

I used to think the whole purpose of life was pursuing happiness. 我以前认为 人生的目标就是追求快乐。
pursuing:v.追求;致力于;贯彻;跟踪;追赶;(pursue的现在分词)
Everyone said the path to happiness was success, so I searched for that ideal job, that perfect boyfriend, that beautiful apartment. 人人都说,成功是通往快乐的路, 所以我去寻找理想的工作、 完美的男友、漂亮的公寓。
But instead of ever feeling fulfilled , 但我没有感到圆满,
fulfilled:adj.感到满足的; v.实现; (fulfill的过去式和过去分词)
I felt anxious and adrift . 反而觉得焦虑跟漫无目的。
adrift:adj.漂泊的;漂浮着的;adv.随波逐流地;漂浮着;
And I wasn't alone; my friends -- they struggled with this, too. 且不只有我这样;我的朋友们── 他们也有这种困扰。
struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
Eventually , I decided to go to graduate school for positive psychology to learn what truly makes people happy. 我最后决定去研究所读正向心理学, 去找出什么能让人开心。
Eventually:adv.最后,终于; graduate school:研究所,研究院; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
But what I discovered there changed my life. 但我在那儿的发现, 改变了我的人生。
The data showed that chasing happiness can make people unhappy. 资料显示,追求快乐会让人不快乐。
And what really struck me was this: the suicide rate has been rising around the world, and it recently reached a 30-year high in America. 真正让我震惊的是这点: 全球的自杀率不断攀升, 最近在美国达到三十年来的新高。
suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀; recently:adv.最近;新近;
Even though life is getting objectively better by nearly every conceivable standard , more people feel hopeless, depressed and alone. 虽然客观来说,生活变好了, 从每个能想到的标准来看皆是如此, 却有更多人感到无助、 沮丧、及孤独。
objectively:adv.客观地; conceivable:adj.可能的;想得到的,可想像的; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; depressed:adj.沮丧的; v.使抑郁; (depress的过去式和过去分词)
There's an emptiness gnawing away at people, and you don't have to be clinically depressed to feel it. 有一种空虚感在侵蚀人们, 并不需被临床诊断出沮丧 也能感觉到这个现象。
emptiness:n.空虚;无知; gnawing:adj.令人痛苦的;折磨人的;n.咬;不断的苦痛;v.咬;侵蚀;(gnaw的现在分词) clinically:adv.临床地;门诊部地;不偏不倚;通过临床诊断;
Sooner or later , I think we all wonder: 我想,迟早我们都会想要知道:
Sooner or later:迟早,早晚;
Is this all there is? 难道就只有这样而已吗?
And according to the research, what predicts this despair is not a lack of happiness. 根据研究,绝望的原因 并不是缺乏快乐,
according to:根据,据说; predicts:vt.预报,预言;预知;vi.作出预言;作预料,作预报; despair:v.绝望;失去希望;丧失信心;n.绝望;
It's a lack of something else, a lack of having meaning in life. 而是缺乏某样东西, 是缺乏人生意义。
But that raised some questions for me. 但这就让我产生了一些问题。
Is there more to life than being happy? 难道人生不只是要快乐吗?
And what's the difference between being happy and having meaning in life? 活得快乐和活得有意义 之间有什么差别?
Many psychologists define happiness as a state of comfort and ease, feeling good in the moment. 许多心理学家把快乐定义为 一种舒服自在的状态, 在当下感觉很好。
psychologists:n.[心理]心理学家(psychologist的复数形式); define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
Meaning, though, is deeper. 而意义则更深。
The renowned psychologist Martin Seligman says meaning comes from belonging to and serving something beyond yourself and from developing the best within you. 知名心理学家马丁赛里格曼说, 意义来自归属感、致力于 超越自我之外的事物, 以及从内在发展出最好的自己。
renowned:adj.著名的;闻名的;有名的;受尊敬的
Our culture is obsessed with happiness, but I came to see that seeking meaning is the more fulfilling path. 我们的文化对「快乐」相当痴迷, 但我发现,寻找意义才是 更让人满足的道路。
obsessed:v.使痴迷;使迷恋;使着迷;(obsess的过去式和过去分词) seeking:v.寻找;寻求;谋求;争取;(向人)请求(seek的现在分词) fulfilling:adj.让人感觉有意义的; v.实现; (fulfill的现在分词)
And the studies show that people who have meaning in life, they're more resilient , they do better in school and at work, and they even live longer. 且研究指出,有人生意义的人 适应力也会比较强, 他们在学校及职场的表现较佳, 他们甚至活得比较久。
resilient:adj.弹回的,有弹力的;
So this all made me wonder: 所以这一切让我开始想,
How can we each live more meaningfully ? 我们每个人要如何活得有意义?
meaningfully:adv.有意义地;意味深长地;有意图地;
To find out, I spent five years interviewing hundreds of people and reading through thousands of pages of psychology, neuroscience and philosophy . 为了找出答案,我花了五年时间, 阅读了数千页的心理学、 神经科学、及哲学。
interviewing:v.对(某人)进行面试;(媒体)采访,访问;(interview的现在分词) neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等); philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观;
Bringing it all together, 把这些彙整起来,我发现了一件事,
I found that there are what I call four pillars of a meaningful life. 我称之为「人生意义的四大支柱」。
pillars:n.柱子;柱状物;台柱(pillar的复数);v.用柱支持(pillar的第三人称单数);
And we can each create lives of meaning by building some or all of these pillars in our lives. 我们可以彼此相互建立起这些支柱, 在彼此的人生中找到人生的意义。
The first pillar is belonging. 第一根支柱是归属感。
Belonging comes from being in relationships where you're valued for who you are intrinsically and where you value others as well. 归属感来自于一种关系, 一种你与他人在本质上 彼此是否处在 相互珍惜的关系中。
intrinsically:adv.本质地;内在地;固有地;
But some groups and relationships deliver a cheap form of belonging; you're valued for what you believe, for who you hate, not for who you are. 但有些群体或关系, 提供的是廉价形式的归属感; 你被重视的原因 是因为你所相信的事物、 你对人的好恶、 而不是你的本质。
True belonging springs from love. 真正的归属感源自于爱。
It lives in moments among individuals , and it's a choice -- you can choose to cultivate belonging with others. 它存在于个体间共处的时光当中, 且它是一种选择── 你可以选择与他人培养归属感。
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); cultivate:vt.培养;陶冶;耕作;
Here's an example. 举例来说,
Each morning, my friend Jonathan buys a newspaper from the same street vendor in New York. 每天早晨,我在纽约的朋友强纳森 都会向同一个街头小贩买一份报纸。
vendor:n.卖主;小贩;[贸易]自动售货机;
They don't just conduct a transaction , though. 不过,他们并不是只有交易的关系。
conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法; transaction:n.处理;业务;办理;
They take a moment to slow down, talk, and treat each other like humans. 他们会停下来,花点时间说说话, 把彼此当朋友对待。
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
But one time, Jonathan didn't have the right change, and the vendor said, "Don't worry about it." 但有一次,强纳森的零钱不够, 小贩说: 「没关系不用了啦。」
But Jonathan insisted on paying, so he went to the store and bought something he didn't need to make change. 但强纳森坚持要付钱, 所以他去一家店, 买了他不需要的东西, 把钞票找开。
But when he gave the money to the vendor, the vendor drew back. 但当他把钱给小贩时, 小贩退缩了。
He was hurt. 他感到受伤。
He was trying to do something kind, but Jonathan had rejected him. 他试着想表现友好, 但强纳森拒绝了他。
rejected:adj.被拒的;不合格的;v.拒绝,驳回;(reject的过去式和过去分词)
I think we all reject people in small ways like this without realizing it. 我想,我们都曾像这样在小地方 拒绝别人却没有意识到。
I do. 我就有过。
I'll walk by someone I know and barely acknowledge them. 我会从认识的人旁边走过, 却没跟他们打招呼。
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
I'll check my phone when someone's talking to me. 当有人在跟我说话时,我会看手机。
These acts devalue others. 这类行为是在贬低别人的价值,
devalue:vt.使贬值;降低…的价值;vi.贬值;
They make them feel invisible and unworthy . 让他们觉得自己是 隐形的、不值得的。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; unworthy:adj.不值得的;无价值的;不相称的;
But when you lead with love, you create a bond that lifts each of you up. 但若用爱来引导, 你就会创造出一种联结, 让你们彼此都振奋起来。
For many people, belonging is the most essential source of meaning, those bonds to family and friends. 对很多人来说,归属感是 人生意义的重要来源, 就是与家人及朋友之间的联结。
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; source:n.来源;水源;原始资料;
For others, the key to meaning is the second pillar: purpose. 对其他人来说, 第二根人生意义的支柱是目的。
Now, finding your purpose is not the same thing as finding that job that makes you happy. 找到你的目的并不是指找到 让你快乐的工作。
Purpose is less about what you want than about what you give. 目的的重点是你能给予什么, 而不是你想要什么。
A hospital custodian told me her purpose is healing sick people. 一位医院管理员告诉我, 她的目的是治愈生病的人。
custodian:n.管理人;监护人;保管人; healing:n.康复; adj.痊愈中的; v.(使)康复,复原; (heal的现在分词)
Many parents tell me, "My purpose is raising my children." 很多家长告诉我: 「我的目的是扶养我的孩子。」
The key to purpose is using your strengths to serve others. 目标的关键在于 用你的力量去服务他人。
Of course, for many of us, that happens through work. 当然,对很多人而言, 这是透过工作来达成的。
That's how we contribute and feel needed. 那是我们做出贡献和 感到被需要的方式。
contribute:v.贡献,出力;投稿;捐献;
But that also means that issues like disengagement at work, unemployment , low labor force participation -- these aren't just economic problems, they're existential ones, too. 但这也意味着,像是 无心工作、失業、 低劳动参与率等等议题── 这些不仅是经济问题, 也是存在主义问题。
issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) disengagement:n.脱离;分开; unemployment:n.失业;失业率;失业人数; participation:n.参与;分享;参股; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; existential:adj.存在主义的;有关存在的;存在判断的;
Without something worthwhile to do, people flounder . 人们若没有值得去做的事, 就会挣扎折腾。
worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的; flounder:vi.挣扎,折腾;错乱地做事或说话;n.挣扎,辗转;比目鱼;
Of course, you don't have to find purpose at work, but purpose gives you something to live for, some "why" that drives you forward. 当然,你不需要从工作中找到目的, 但目的能让你有活下去的意义, 有驱使你向前行的「理由」。
The third pillar of meaning is also about stepping beyond yourself, but in a completely different way: transcendence . 第三根人生意义的支柱, 也和走出自我有关, 但用的方式完全不同: 超然。
transcendence:n.超越;卓越;超然存在;
Transcendent states are those rare moments when you're lifted above the hustle and bustle of daily life, your sense of self fades away, and you feel connected to a higher reality. 超然的状态是很少见的时刻, 在这个时刻中,你超脱了 日常生活的喧嚣扰攘, 自我感正在渐渐消褪, 你会感觉到和更高的现实产生连结。
Transcendent:adj.卓越的;超常的;出类拔萃的;n.卓越的人;超绝物; hustle:v.催促;猛推;强夺;赶紧;n.推;奔忙;拥挤喧嚷; bustle:vi.喧闹;忙乱;充满;vt.使忙碌;催促;n.喧闹;活跃;裙撑;热闹的活动; fades:v.褪色;逝去;[生物]衰老;淡接(fade的第三人称单数形式);
For one person I talked to, transcendence came from seeing art. 跟我谈过的其中一个人说, 超然来自于欣赏艺术。
For another person, it was at church. 另一个人则认为,超然是在教堂中。
For me, I'm a writer, and it happens through writing. 对我来说,我是作家, 而超然是透过写作发生的。
Sometimes I get so in the zone that I lose all sense of time and place. 有时候我太投入 会有一种忘我的境界。
These transcendent experiences can change you. 这些超然的经验能改变你。
One study had students look up at 200-feet-tall eucalyptus trees for one minute. 有一项研究是让学生去看 200 英呎高的尤加利树, 看一分钟,
eucalyptus:n.桉树;桉属植物;
But afterwards they felt less self-centered , and they even behaved more generously when given the chance to help someone. 之后他们会比较不自我中心, 若给他们机会去幫助别人, 他们连行为都会变得更慷慨。
self-centered:adj.自我中心的;利己主义的; behaved:v.表现;表现得体;有礼貌;(behave的过去分词和过去式) generously:adv.慷慨地;宽大地;丰盛地;
Belonging, purpose, transcendence. 归属感、目的、超然。
Now, the fourth pillar of meaning, I've found, tends to surprise people. 接着谈谈我发现的第四根支柱, 它常会令人感到惊讶。
The fourth pillar is storytelling , the story you tell yourself about yourself. 第四根支柱就是说故事, 你告诉你自己关于你自己的故事。
storytelling:n.讲故事;说谎话;adj.讲故事的;说谎的;
Creating a narrative from the events of your life brings clarity . 用你人生中的事件来创造 一个故事,能让你看得更清楚。
narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明;
It helps you understand how you became you. 它能协助你了解你是怎么变成你的。
But we don't always realize that we're the authors of our stories and can change the way we're telling them. 但我们通常没发现, 我们故事的作者就是自己, 且我们可以改变说故事的方式。
Your life isn't just a list of events. 你的生命并不只一连串的事件。
You can edit , interpret and retell your story, even as you're constrained by the facts. 即便你被事实给限制住, 你仍可以编辑、 诠释、再重新述说你的故事。
edit:v.编辑;剪辑;编纂;编选;n.编辑[校订]工作; interpret:v.诠释;说明;口译;把…理解为; retell:vt.复述;再讲;重述; constrained:adj.不自然的; v.约束; (constrain的过去分词和过去式)
I met a young man named Emeka, who'd been paralyzed playing football. 我遇到一位叫做埃梅卡的年轻人, 他因为打美式足球而瘫痪。
paralyzed:adj.瘫痪的;麻痹的;v.使麻痹;使无力;使失去勇气(paralyze的过去分词);
After his injury , Emeka told himself, "My life was great playing football, but now look at me." 埃梅卡在受伤后, 内心的对话是这样的: 「我打美式足球的人生是非常棒的, 但看看现在的我。」
injury:n.伤害,损害;受伤处;
People who tell stories like this -- "My life was good. Now it's bad." -- tend to be more anxious and depressed. 像这样说故事的人── 「我的人生曾经很棒, 现在却很糟。」── 说这种故事的人 比较容易焦虑和沮丧。
And that was Emeka for a while . 埃梅卡有好一阵子就是这样。
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时;
But with time, he started to weave a different story. 但随时间过去,他开始 编造一个不同的故事。
weave:v.编,织;(用…)编成;编造(故事等);n.织法;编法;编织式样;
His new story was, "Before my injury, my life was purposeless . 他的新故事是: 「在我受伤前,我的人生没有目的。
purposeless:adj.无目的的;无益的;缺乏决心的;
I partied a lot and was a pretty selfish guy. 我常去派对,且我是个很自私的人。
But my injury made me realize I could be a better man." 但受伤让我明白, 我可以成为更好的人。」
That edit to his story changed Emeka's life. 埃梅卡把他的故事进行改造, 从而改变了他的一生。
After telling the new story to himself, 在对自己说完这个新故事之后,
Emeka started mentoring kids, and he discovered what his purpose was: serving others. 埃梅卡开始开导孩童, 他找到了他的目的: 服务他人。
mentoring:n.导师;顾问;v.指导;做…的良师;(mentor的现在分词)
The psychologist Dan McAdams calls this a " redemptive story," 心理学家丹麦亚当斯称这 现象为「救赎的故事」,
redemptive:adj.赎回的;赎身的;挽回的;
where the bad is redeemed by the good. 用好的来救赎不好的。
redeemed:n.债券收徊溢价;v.救赎;赎回;弥补(redeem的过去式);
People leading meaningful lives, he's found, tend to tell stories about their lives defined by redemption , growth and love. 他发现,过着有意义人生的人, 他们说的故事内容通常都是 他们的人生由救赎、 成长、爱来定义。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; redemption:n.赎回;拯救;偿还;实践;
But what makes people change their stories? 但,是什么让人们 改变了他们的故事?
Some people get help from a therapist , but you can do it on your own, too, just by reflecting on your life thoughtfully , how your defining experiences shaped you, what you lost, what you gained. 有些人向治疗师寻求协助, 但你也可以靠自己做到, 只要完整地反思你的人生、 你的关键经验如何造就了你、 你失去了什么、获得了什么。
therapist:n.临床医学家;治疗学家; reflecting:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;显示,表明,表达;(reflect的现在分词) thoughtfully:adv.沉思地;体贴地,亲切地; defining:v.解释(词语)的含义;给(词语)下定义;阐明;界定;(define的现在分词)
That's what Emeka did. 那就是埃梅卡所做的。
You won't change your story overnight; it could take years and be painful . 你不可能一夜就改变你的故事; 过程可能要花好几年,且很痛苦。
painful:adj.痛苦的;疼痛的;令人不快的;
After all, we've all suffered, and we all struggle. 毕竟,我们都曾受过苦, 也都在挣扎。
But embracing those painful memories can lead to new insights and wisdom , to finding that good that sustains you. 但拥抱那些痛苦的记忆, 能带来新的洞见与智慧, 让你能找到那支撑着你的「善」。
embracing:n.拥抱;v.拥抱,包含;(embrace的现在分词) insights:n.洞察力;眼力;深刻见解(insight的复数); wisdom:n.智慧;明智;才智;学问; sustains:v.支撑(sustain的第三人称单数);保持;遭受(损失等);支援;
Belonging, purpose, transcendence, storytelling: those are the four pillars of meaning. 归属感、目的、超然、说故事; 这些就是意义的四大支柱。
When I was younger, 在我小时候,
I was lucky enough to be surrounded by all of the pillars. 我很幸运能够被 这四根支柱给围绕着。
My parents ran a Sufi meetinghouse from our home in Montreal . 我父母在蒙特娄的家附近 开一间苏菲派的聚会所。
meetinghouse:na.(美,英,蔑)教堂;(英)非国教徒的礼拜堂; Montreal:n.蒙特利尔(加拿大东南部港市);
Sufism is a spiritual practice associated with the whirling dervishes and the poet Rumi. 苏菲教派是一种和 旋转苦行僧及诗人鲁米 有关的灵修。
spiritual:n.圣歌(尤指美国南部黑人的);adj.精神的,心灵的; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) whirling:v.(使)旋转,打转;混乱不清,恍惚;(whirl的现在分词) dervishes:n.托钵僧;像托钵僧似的人;
Twice a week, Sufis would come to our home to meditate , drink Persian tea, and share stories. 每周两次,苏菲教徒会到我们家里, 来冥想、喝波斯茶、分享故事。
meditate:vt.考虑;计划;企图;vi.冥想;沉思; Persian:n.波斯人;波斯语;adj.波斯的;波斯人的;波斯语的;
Their practice also involved serving all of creation through small acts of love, which meant being kind even when people wronged you. 他们的修行也涉及了 要透过爱的小举动, 来为万物服务, 也就是说,即使别人冤枉你, 也要仁慈以对。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物;
But it gave them a purpose: to reign in the ego . 但那给了他们一个目的: 去驾驭自我。
reign:vi.统治;支配;盛行;君临;n.统治;统治时期;支配; ego:n.自我;自负;自我意识;
Eventually, I left home for college and without the daily grounding of Sufism in my life, 最后,我离开家去读大学, 我的人生中少了苏菲教徒 每天的基础练习,
I felt unmoored . 感觉像是船的缆绳被解开。
unmoored:vi.解缆;拔锚;vt.解缆;使拔锚;使改泊单锚;
And I started searching for those things that make life worth living. 我开始寻找有什么 能让我的人生值得活。
That's what set me on this journey . 就是这个原因让我踩上这段旅程。
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
Looking back, I now realize that the Sufi house had a real culture of meaning. 现在回头看,我发现 那间苏菲房舍有着一种 有意义的真实文化。
The pillars were part of the architecture , and the presence of the pillars helped us all live more deeply. 那些支柱是建筑的一部份, 而支柱的出现,让我们都能 过更有深度的生活。
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构; presence:n.存在;出席;参加;风度;仪态;
Of course, the same principle applies in other strong communities as well -- good ones and bad ones. 当然,同样的原则也适用于 其他强大的社群── 好的和坏的都包含在内。
principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉; applies:v.适用;申请;运用;专心;(apply的第三人称单数) communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
Gangs , cults : these are cultures of meaning that use the pillars and give people something to live and die for. 幫派、邪教: 这些也是有意义的文化, 它们利用这些支柱, 给予人们活着和牺牲的意义。
Gangs:n.帮派(gang的复数);v.成帮结伙;合伙行动(gang的三单形式); cults:n.邪教;教派;崇拜的对象;狂热崇拜(cult的复数);
But that's exactly why we as a society must offer better alternatives . 但那就是为什么, 我们身为一个社会, 必须要提供更好的替代方案。
alternatives:n.可供选择的事物;(alternative的复数)
We need to build these pillars within our families and our institutions to help people become their best selves. 我们需要在我们的家庭及 习俗制度当中建立这些支柱, 来协助人们变成最好的自己。
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
But living a meaningful life takes work. 但一定要花心力, 才能让人生过得有意义。
It's an ongoing process . 它是一个持续的过程。
ongoing:n.发展; adj.持续存在的; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
As each day goes by, we're constantly creating our lives, adding to our story. 随着每一天过去, 我们不断地创造我们的人生, 扩增我们的故事。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
And sometimes we can get off track . 有时,我们可能会误入歧途。
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
Whenever that happens to me, 每当我遇到这状况时,
I remember a powerful experience I had with my father. 我会想起我与父亲的一段经历, 很有影响力的经历。
Several months after I graduated from college, my dad had a massive heart attack that should have killed him. 我从大学毕業后几个月, 我父亲罹患了严重的心脏病, 本来他应该性命难保。
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; heart attack:n.[医]心肌梗塞
He survived, and when I asked him what was going through his mind as he faced death, he said all he could think about was needing to live so he could be there for my brother and me, and this gave him the will to fight for life. 他活下来了,我问他, 当他在面对死亡时, 脑中想着的是什么, 他说,他唯一能想的, 就是必须活下来, 这样他才能陪伴我弟弟和我, 这点让他有意志力能拼命活下来。
When he went under anesthesia for emergency surgery , he repeated our names like a mantra . 当他被麻醉准备接受紧急手术时, 他把我们的名字像祈祷文般地覆颂。
anesthesia:n.麻醉;麻木(等于anaesthesia); emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; mantra:n.咒语(尤指四吠陀经典内作为咒文或祷告唱念的);颂歌;
He wanted our names to be the last words he spoke on earth if he died. 如果他会死,他希望他 在世上说的最后几个字 是我们的名字。
My dad is a carpenter and a Sufi. 我的父亲是个木匠也是个苏菲教徒。
carpenter:n.木匠,木工;vi.当木匠,制作;
It's a humble life, but a good life. 他的人生是谦恭的人生, 但很美好的人生。
humble:adj.谦逊的; vt.使谦恭;
Lying there facing death, he had a reason to live: love. 躺在那里,面对死亡, 他有一个活下去的理由: 爱。
His sense of belonging within his family, his purpose as a dad, his transcendent meditation , repeating our names -- these, he says, are the reasons why he survived. 他在他的家庭中的归属感、 他身为一名父亲的目的、 他超然的冥想, 不断覆颂我们的名字── 他说,这些是他活下来的原因。
meditation:n.冥想;沉思,深思;
That's the story he tells himself. 那是他告诉他自己的故事。
That's the power of meaning. 那就是意义的力量。
Happiness comes and goes. 快乐来来去去。
But when life is really good and when things are really bad, having meaning gives you something to hold on to . 但当人生真的很美好时, 当事情真的很糟糕时, 若人生有意义,你就会有 可以紧紧抓住的东西。
hold on to:坚持;紧握;克制;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)