返回首页

EllenJorgensen_2012G-_生物黑客_你也可以_

It's a great time to be a molecular biologist . (Laughter) 时下,当一名分子生物学家真是太美妙了(笑声)
molecular:adj.[化学]分子的;由分子组成的; biologist:n.生物学家;
Reading and writing DNA code is getting easier and cheaper. 读写DNA密码越来越简单 也越来便宜
By the end of this year, we'll be able to sequence the three million bits of information in your genome in less than a day and for less than 1,000 euros . 今年底,我们就能 在不到一天的时间里 排列出你体内基因组内包含的三百万比特的信息 而这只花不到1000欧元
sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列; genome:n.基因组;染色体组; euros:n.欧元;欧洛斯风;带雨东南暴风(euro复数);
Biotech is probably the most powerful and the fastest-growing technology sector . 生物科技可能是整个科技领域 最强大,发展最快的一个分支
Biotech:abbr.生物技术;生物科技(biotechnology); technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; sector:n.部门;扇形,扇区;象限仪;函数尺;vt.把…分成扇形;
It has the power, potentially , to replace our fossil fuels, to revolutionize medicine, and to touch every aspect of our daily lives. 它极有可能 取代化石燃料 彻底革新医学药品 影响我们日常生活的方方面面
potentially:adv.可能地,潜在地; fossil:n.化石;老人;老古董;adj.从地下发掘出来的;化石的;属于旧时代的;陈腐的; revolutionize:vt.发动革命;彻底改革;宣传革命;vi.革命化;从事革命; aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
So who gets to do it? 那么谁会让这些成为现实呢?
I think we'd all be pretty comfortable with this guy doing it. 我觉得可能我们比较愿意 让这个人来做
But what about that guy? (Laughter) 那这个人 如何?(笑声)
(Laughter) (笑声)
In 2009, I first heard about DIYbio. 2009年,我第一次听说“DIY(自己动手)生物学”
It's a movement that -- it advocates making biotechnology accessible to everyone, not just scientists and people in government labs . 这是一场旨在 让每个人都能接触生物科技的运动 而不仅仅是科学家和政府实验室的工作人员
advocates:n.拥护者; vt.主张(advocate的第三人称单数); biotechnology:n.[生物]生物技术;[生物]生物工艺学; accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的; labs:n.实验室;实验大楼;(lab的复数)
The idea is that if you open up the science and you allow diverse groups to participate , it could really stimulate innovation . 这一运动的理念在于,如果你真正开放科学探索 并让各行各业的人参与进来 将会激发真正的创新
diverse:adj.不同的;多种多样的;变化多的; participate:v.参加;参与; stimulate:v.刺激;激发;促进;激励; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
Putting technology in the hands of the end user is usually a good idea because they've got the best idea of what their needs are. 让最终消费者去接触科技 是一个很好的想法,因为他们最清楚 自己的需求是什么
in the hands of:由…掌握;在…掌握中;
And here's this really sophisticated technology coming down the road , all these associated social, moral , ethical questions, and we scientists are just lousy at explaining to the public just exactly what it is we're doing in those labs. 当一些复杂难懂的科技 出现在市面上,并引发相关的 社会、道德、伦理问题 科学家们只能不厌其烦地向公众解释 我们在这样的实验室里已经做过的事情
sophisticated:adj.复杂的;老练的;见多识广的;水平高的; down the road:只要沿着这条路;将来;在路上; associated:adj.有关联的; v.联想; (associate的过去分词和过去式) moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; ethical:adj.伦理的;道德的;凭处方出售的;n.处方药; lousy:adj.非常糟的;极坏的;恶劣的;
So wouldn't it be nice if there was a place in your local neighborhood where you could go and learn about this stuff , do it hands-on ? 如果 你家附近有个地方 可以了解这些东西 还能亲身实践,不是很好吗?
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的; stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: hands-on:adj.亲身实践的,亲自动手的;
I thought so. 我觉得这样很好
So, three years ago, I got together with some friends of mine who had similar aspirations and we founded Genspace. 所以,三年前我 同一些有类似想法的朋友一起 建立了Genspace
aspirations:n.愿望;
It's a nonprofit , a community biotech lab in Brooklyn, New York, and the idea was people could come, they could take classes and putter around in the lab in a very open, friendly atmosphere . 它是个非营利社区性质的生物科技实验室 位于纽约布鲁克林 它的理念是人们可以过来 在开放友好的气氛中 上上课,在实验室里做些小实验
nonprofit:adj.非赢利的;不以赢利为目的的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; putter:n.推棒;置放者;新进的矿工;vt.混过;vi.闲荡;行为懒散; atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格;
None of my previous experience prepared me for what came next. Can you guess? 我之前所有的经历 都不足以让我预知接下来发生了什么。你能猜得到吗?
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前;
The press started calling us. 媒体开始给我们打电话
And the more we talked about how great it was to increase science literacy , the more they wanted to talk about us creating the next Frankenstein , and as a result , for the next six months, when you Googled my name, instead of getting my scientific papers, you got this. 我们想谈提高科学素质是多么好的一件事 而他们却想谈 我们将会创造出下一个科学怪人(小说《弗兰肯斯坦》:主人公成功地创造出人工生命,但最终与其同归与尽) 结果,接下来的半年里 在Google上搜索我名字的时候 搜到的不是我的科技论文
literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学; Frankenstein:n.毁灭创造者自己之物;作法自毙的人; as a result:结果; Googled:vt.在谷歌上搜索;(google的过去式和过去分词) scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
["Am I a biohazard ?"] 而是[“我是个生化危机源”?]
biohazard:n.生物危害;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It was pretty depressing . 我特别沮丧
depressing:adj.令人抑郁的; v.使沮丧; (depress的现在分词)
The only thing that got us through that period was that we knew that all over the world, there were other people that were trying to do the same thing that we were. 支撑着我们挺过那段时期的唯一的东西 就是我们知道,在世界的其他地方 也有人试着 在做跟我们一样的事情
They were opening biohacker spaces, and some of them were facing much greater challenges than we did, more regulations , less resources . 这就是早期的生物黑客 他们中一些人面临着比我们更大的压力 更多的限制和更少的资源
regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数) resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
But now, three years later, here's where we stand. 但如今,三年后,我们已经发展成这样
It's a vibrant , global community of hackerspaces, and this is just the beginning. (Genspace)成为了一个生机勃勃的全球生物黑客社区 而这仅仅只是个开始
vibrant:adj.振动的;充满生气的;响亮的;战栗的; global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的;
These are some of the biggest ones, and there are others opening every day. 这些只是稍大型的黑客空间 每天都有其他的在新开放
There's one probably going to open up in Moscow, one in South Korea, and the cool thing is they each have their own individual flavor that grew out of the community they came out of. 在莫斯科可能会开放一个 在韩国也会有一个 有意思的是它们每一个 都有自己独特的特色 这种特色根植于本土社区
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; flavor:n.情味,风味;香料;滋味;v.加味于;
Let me take you on a little tour. 让我带着大家看一看
Biohackers work alone. 独自工作的生物黑客
We work in groups, in big cities — (Laughter) — and in small villages. 一起工作的 在大城市(笑声) 小村庄
We reverse engineer lab equipment. 设计工程实验室设备
reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的;
We genetically engineer bacteria . 用遗传基因的方法制造细菌
genetically:adv.从遗传学角度;从基因方面; bacteria:n.[微]细菌;
We hack hardware , software, wetware , and, of course, the code of life. 我们发掘研究硬件 软件 湿件(计算机专家用语, 指软件、硬件以外的 件 , 即人脑) 当然还有生命的密码
hack:n.砍; v.砍; adj.出租的; hardware:n.计算机硬件;五金器具; wetware:n.湿件(被视为计算机程序或系统的人脑);
We like to build things. 我们喜欢造东西
Then we like to take things apart. 又喜欢拆东西
We make things grow. 我们让生物生长
We make things glow . 让物体发光
glow:n.喜悦; v.发热;
And we make cells dance. 让细胞跳舞
The spirit of these labs, it's open, it's positive , but, you know, sometimes when people think of us, the first thing that comes to mind is bio-safety , bio-security , all the dark side stuff. 这些实验室的氛围是开放的,积极的 但你知道,有时人们想到我们 第一个念头就是生物安全 以及其它黑暗的方面
positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; bio-safety:生物安全; bio-security:生物安全;
I'm not going to minimize those concerns . 我不会试着去打消这些顾虑
minimize:v.使减少到最低限度;降低;贬低;使显得不重要; concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
Any powerful technology is inherently dual use, and, you know, you get something like synthetic biology , nanobiotechnology, it really compels you, you have to look at both 因为任何强大科技的作用,生来都是两面性的 如果你对 合成生物学,纳米生物科技这种东西 真正感兴趣,就必须
inherently:adv.内在地;固有地;天性地; synthetic:adj.综合的;合成的,人造的;n.合成物; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学; compels:v.强迫;
the amateur groups but also the professional groups, because they have better infrastructure , they have better facilities , and they have access to pathogens . 同时关注相关业余爱好群体和专业人士 因为他们(专业人士)有更好的基础设施 更好的设备 也能直接接触病原体
amateur:n.爱好者;业余爱好者;外行;adj.业余的;外行的; professional:adj.专业的;职业的;职业性的;n.专业人员;职业运动员; infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; facilities:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;(facility的复数) pathogens:n.[基医]病原体;病原菌;[基医]致病菌;
So the United Nations did just that, and they recently issued a report on this whole area, and what they concluded was the power of this technology for positive was much greater than the risk for negative , 联合国就是这样做的。最近 他们就整个生物科技领域发布了一份报告 并得出结论,这种科技的影响 积极意义要远远大于消极意义
United Nations:n.联合国; recently:adv.最近;新近; issued:v.宣布;公布;发出;将…诉诸法律;(issue的过去分词和过去式) concluded:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)(conclude的过去分词和过去式) negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
and they even looked specifically at the DIYbio community, and they noted, not surprisingly , that the press had a tendency to consistently overestimate our capabilities and underestimate our ethics . 他们还特意强调了DIY生物学这一领域 指出媒体一直有一种 高估我们的能力 而低估我们的道德水准的倾向
specifically:adv.特别地;明确地; surprisingly:adv.令人惊讶地;出乎意料地 tendency:n.倾向,趋势;癖好; consistently:adv.一贯地;一致地;坚实地; overestimate:v.高估;n.过高的评估; underestimate:v.低估;看轻;n.低估; ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
As a matter of fact , DIY people from all over the world, 事实上,来自世界各地
As a matter of fact:事实上;
America, Europe, got together last year, and we hammered out a common code of ethics. 包括美洲,欧洲的DIY生物学家去年已经在去年 共同敲定了我们的道德准则
hammered:adj.烂醉;v.锤打;反复敲打;猛踢;猛击;(hammer的过去分词和过去式)
That's a lot more than conventional science has done. 而传统科学却没有做到这一点
conventional:adj.符合习俗的,传统的;常见的;惯例的;
Now, we follow state and local regulations. 我们遵循国家和地区的规定
We dispose of our waste properly, we follow safety procedures , we don't work with pathogens. 合理处置废料垃圾 遵守安全细则,不使用病原体
dispose:v.布置;安排;排列;使倾向于; procedures:n.程序;规程(procedure的复数);
You know, if you're working with a pathogen, you're not part of the biohacker community, you're part of the bioterrorist community, I'm sorry. 如果你使用了病原体 你就不是生物黑客社区的一份子 你就是生物恐怖分子社区的成员,抱歉
And sometimes people ask me, "Well, what about an accident?" 有时候有人问我 那么万一发生事故怎么办?
Well, working with the safe organisms that we normally work with, the chance of an accident happening with somebody accidentally creating, like, some sort of superbug , that's literally about as probable as a snowstorm in the middle of the Sahara Desert. 我可以这样说,使用常规安全的生物体 事故发生的几率 就像不小心创造出 某种超级细菌一样 就同一场暴雪 降临在沙哈拉沙漠正中一样小
organisms:n.[生物]生物体(organism的复数);[生物]有机体; normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; accidentally:adv.意外地:偶然,偶然地; superbug:n.超级病菌; literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: probable:adj.很可能的;可信的;n.很可能的事;大有希望的候选者; snowstorm:n.暴风雪;雪暴;
Now, it could happen, but I'm not going to plan my life around it. 它确实有可能发生 但我不打算为这种事担扰
I've actually chosen to take a different kind of risk. 我实际上准备冒另一种“风险”
I signed up for something called the Personal Genome Project. 我签署了一个叫Personal Genome(个人基因)的项目
Personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
It's a study at Harvard where, at the end of the study, they're going to take my entire genomic sequence, all of my medical information, and my identity , and they're going to post it online for everyone to see. 它是一项在哈佛大学进行的项目, 研究结束后,我所有的基因序列 医疗信息,个人身份 都会由他们公布在网络上,所有人都能看到
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生; genomic:adj.基因组的;染色体的; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
There were a lot of risks involved that they talked about during the informed consent portion . 在知情同意环节时 他们谈论了很多可能遇到的风险
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式) consent:vi.同意;赞成;答应;n.同意;(意见等的)一致;赞成; portion:n.部分;(食物的)一份;分担的责任;v.把…分成若干份(或部分);
The one I liked the best is, someone could download my sequence, go back to the lab, synthesize some fake Ellen DNA, and plant it at a crime scene. (Laughter) 我最喜欢的一个是 有人下载了我们基因序列,回到实验室 合成一个假Ellen的DNA 然后放在一个犯罪现场里(笑声)
synthesize:vt.合成;综合;vi.合成;综合; fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的;
But like DIYbio, the positive outcomes and the potential for good for a study like that far outweighs the risk. 但像DIY生物学一样,我相信它正面的结果 以及为带来研究的益处 还是超过了风险
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数) outweighs:vt.比…重(在重量上);比…重要;比…有价值;
Now, you might be asking yourself, "Well, you know, what would I do in a biolab?" 也许你会自问 “在生物实验室我都能做些什么?”
Well, it wasn't that long ago we were asking, "Well, what would anyone do with a personal computer ?" 不久前类似的问题也有过 “人们用电脑都能做些什么?”
personal computer:n.个人电脑;个人计算机;
So this stuff is just beginning. 所以,这仅仅是个开始
We're only seeing just the tip of the DNA iceberg . 我们只是瞥见了DNA的冰山一角
tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜; iceberg:n.[地理]冰山;显露部分;
Let me show you what you could do right now. 让我告诉你你现在能做些什么
A biohacker in Germany, a journalist , wanted to know whose dog was leaving little presents on his street? 一位德国的生物黑客,也是个记者,他想知道 谁家的狗在他家附近的街道上留下了“小礼物”
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
Yep, you guessed it. He threw tennis balls to all the neighborhood dogs, analyzed the saliva , identified the dog, and confronted the dog owner. 你们猜对了!他向 所有邻居家的狗扔网球,分析唾液成分 找到了那只狗,并向主人说明了情况
analyzed:v.分析(analyze的过去式和过去分词);检讨; saliva:n.唾液;涎; identified:v.确认;认出;找到;发现;说明身份;(identify的过去式和过去分词) confronted:v.使…无法回避;降临于;处理;面对;对抗;(confront的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (Applause) (笑声)(掌声)
I discovered an invasive species in my own backyard . 我在我家后院发现了一只“入侵物种”
invasive:adj.侵略性的;攻击性的; species:n.[生物]物种;种类; backyard:n.后院;后庭;
Looked like a ladybug , right? 看上去像只瓢虫,是吗?
ladybug:n.瓢虫;
It actually is a Japanese beetle . 其实是只日本金龟子
Japanese beetle:n.[植保]日本丽金龟;[植保]日本金龟子;
And the same kind of technology -- it's called DNA barcoding , it's really cool -- 同样的 这种叫做DNA条形码的技术,真的很酷--
barcoding:条形码;条形编码;识别条码;
You can use it to check if your caviar is really beluga , if that sushi is really tuna, or if that goat cheese that you paid so much for is really goat's. 你可以通过它确认你吃的是不是真正的白鲟鱼鱼子酱 是不是真的金枪鱼寿司,或者 你花了大价钱买到的山羊乳干酪是不是真的山羊乳
caviar:n.鱼子酱; beluga:n.[脊椎]白鲸;白色大鳇鱼;
In a biohacker space, you can analyze your genome for mutations . 作为一名生物黑客 你可以分析你有没有基因上的变异
mutations:n.[遗]突变;变化;转变(mutation的复数形式);
You can analyze your breakfast cereal for GMO's, and you can explore your ancestry . 你可以分析你早餐麦片里的转基因成分 你还可以探索你的祖先,血统
cereal:n.谷物;谷类植物;adj.谷类制成的; explore:v.探索:探测:探险: ancestry:n.祖先;血统;
You can send weather balloons up into the stratosphere , collect microbes , see what's up there. 把气象气球发送到平流层 采集微生物,看看里面有什么
stratosphere:n.同温层;最上层;最高阶段; microbes:n.细菌,[微]微生物;微生物类(microbe的复数形式);
You can make a biocensor out of yeast to detect pollutants in water. 你可以用酵母当做生物传感器 来检测水污染
yeast:n.酵母;泡沫;酵母片;引起骚动因素; detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测; pollutants:n.[环境]污染物(pollutant的复数);
You can make some sort of a biofuel cell. 合成某种生物燃料细胞
biofuel:n.生物燃料;
You can do a lot of things. 你可以做无数的事情
You can also do an art science project. Some of these are really spectacular , and they look at social, ecological problems from a completely different perspective . 你还可以进行艺术科学项目 有些项目真的很赞 从完全不同的角度审视社会和生态问题
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; ecological:adj.生态的,生态学的; perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
It's really cool. 真的很酷
Some people ask me, well, why am I involved? 有人会问,为什么我要参与这种事儿?
I could have a perfectly good career in mainstream science. 我可以在主流科学行业里有很好的工作
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; mainstream:n.主流;
The thing is, there's something in these labs that they have to offer society that you can't find anywhere else. 问题关键是,在这样的实验室里 有些东西是你在别处找不到的 有些东西是你在别处找不到的
There's something sacred about a space where you can work on a project, and you don't have to justify to anyone that it's going to make a lot of money, that it's going to save mankind , or even that it's feasible . 黑客空间有好的一面,就是 你可以开展项目 而无须向任何人解释“它会带来丰厚的利润” 无须向任何人解释“它会拯救人类”,甚至“它能够行得通”
justify:v.证明合法;整理版面;替…辩护; mankind:n.人类;男性; feasible:adj.可行的;可能的;可实行的;
It just has to follow safety guidelines . 只要遵循安全规定(操作项目)
guidelines:n.指导方针;参考;
If you had spaces like this all over the world, it could really change the perception of who's allowed to do biotech. 如果在世界各地都有这样的地方 那将会真正改变人们对于 “谁才有资格接触生物科技”这一问题的观念
perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
It's spaces like these that spawned personal computing . 就是这样的地方,推动了个人电脑的应用和传播
spawned:v.产卵;引发;引起;导致;造成;(spawn的过去分词和过去式) computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
Why not personal biotech? 所以为什么不能让个人生物科技也如此呢?
If everyone in this room got involved, who knows what we could do? 如果在场的每个人都参与进来 谁都想象不到我们能够做到什么
This is such a new area, and as we say back in Brooklyn, you ain't seen nothin' yet. (Laughter) 这是个全新的领域,正如刚才提到布鲁克林时我讲到的 还有更厉害的呢。(笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)