|
|
ElizabethWhite_2017X-_诚实地正视个人的财务危机_
|
You know me. |
你认识我。 |
I am in your friendship circle hidden in plain sight. |
我就藏在你朋友圈中不显眼的地方。 |
My clothes are still impeccable -- bought in the good years when I was still making money. |
我的衣着无可挑剔—— 它们是我在还会赚钱的 那段黄金岁月所买下的。 |
impeccable:adj.无瑕疵的;没有缺点的;
|
To look at me you would not know that my electricity was cut off last week for nonpayment , or that I meet the eligibility requirements for food stamps. |
光看着我,你不会知道 我上周已经因为没缴电费被断电, 也不会知道我已经符合 可以领食物券的条件了。 |
electricity:n.电力;电流;强烈的紧张情绪; nonpayment:n.拒付; eligibility:n.适任,合格;被选举资格;
|
But if you paid attention, you would see that sadness in my eyes -- hear that hint of fear in my otherwise self-assured voice. |
但若你有留意, 你会看到我眼中的悲伤—— 在我原本自信的声音中 听到些许的恐惧。 |
hint:n.提示;暗示;迹象;窍门;v.暗示;透露;示意; self-assured:adj.有自信的;
|
These days I'm buying the $1.99 trial-size jug of Tide to make ends meet . |
这些日子,我会买 1.99 美元的 汰渍洗衣精试用罐, 让收支能平衡。 |
jug:n.[轻]水壶;监牢;vt.关押;放入壶中;vi.模仿夜莺叫; Tide:n.潮汐; v.顺应潮水航行; make ends meet:收支相抵;量入为出;
|
I bet you didn't know laundry detergent came in that size. |
我打赌你不知道洗衣精 还有那种大小的包装。 |
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿; laundry:n.洗衣店,洗衣房;要洗的衣服;洗熨;洗好的衣服; detergent:n.清洁剂;去垢剂;
|
You invite me to the same expensive restaurants the two of us have always enjoyed, but I order mineral water now with a twist of lemon , not the 12-dollar glass of chardonnay . |
你邀请我到同一间昂贵的餐厅, 我们两个人一向很享受在那里用餐, 但我现在会点矿泉水 加上螺旋柠檬皮, 而不是一杯 要价 12 美元的白葡萄酒。 |
mineral water:矿泉水; twist:v.捻;扭转;曲折;扭动;n.捻;拧;扭动;搓; lemon:n.蹩脚货;柠檬;青柠色;adj.浅黄色的;柠檬色的; chardonnay:n.夏敦埃酒(一种类似夏布利酒的无甜味白葡萄酒);
|
I am frugal in my menu choices. |
点餐时我尽量少花钱。 |
frugal:adj.节俭的;朴素的;花钱少的;
|
Meticulous , I count every penny in my head. |
我在脑中小心翼翼地 计算着每一分钱。 |
Meticulous:adj.一丝不苟的;小心翼翼的;拘泥小节的;
|
I demur dividing the table bill evenly to cover desserts and designer coffees and second and third glasses of wine I did not consume . |
我反对平分帐单,因为帐单里头 包含了甜点、特调咖啡, 及第二和第三杯红酒, 都不是我消费的。 |
demur:vi.反对;抗辩;提出异议;n.异议;反对; evenly:adv.均匀地;平衡地;平坦地;平等地; desserts:n.(饭后)甜点,甜食;(dessert的复数) consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
|
I am tired of trying to fake appearances . |
我好厌倦要在表面上作假。 |
fake:n.假货;骗子;假动作;v.捏造;假装…的样子;adj.伪造的; appearances:n.露面;外观;出现;表面的迹象[征兆];(appearance的复数)
|
A friend told me that I'm broke not poor, and there is a difference. |
朋友告诉我,我是破产而非贫穷, 两者是有差别的。 |
I live without cable, my gym membership and nail appointments . |
我的生活中没有 有线电视、健身房会籍, 及美甲的预约。 |
membership:n.成员资格;(统称)会员;会员人数; appointments:n.约会;预约;约定;任命;委任;职位;(appointment的复数)
|
I've discovered I can do my own hair. |
我发现我可以自己做头发。 |
There is no retirement savings , no nest egg. |
没有退休存款, 没有储蓄金。 |
retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活; savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数)
|
I exhausted that long ago. |
我很早以前就把它花光了。 |
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
|
There is no expensive condo to draw equity and no husband to back me up. |
没有昂贵的公寓可以贷款变现, 也没有丈夫可以倚靠。 |
condo:n.公寓;一套公寓住房;公寓的单元; equity:n.公平,公正;衡平法;普通股;抵押资产的净值;
|
Months of slow pay and no pay have decimated my credit. |
数个月来帐单不是迟缴就是没缴, 让我的信用受到重挫。 |
decimated:v.摧毁;大幅度下降(decimate的过去式及过去分词);
|
Bill collectors call constantly , reading verbatim from a script before expressing polite sympathy for my plight and then demanding payment arrangements I can't possibly meet. |
催帐的人常常打电话来, 照本宣科地念着催款稿后, 才礼貌性地对我的困境表示同情, 接着要求我履行 无法如期偿付的还款计画。 |
collectors:n.收藏家;收集者;聚集剂;[电子]集电极(collector的复数); constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; verbatim:adv.逐字地;adj.逐字的; script:n.剧本;电影剧本;笔迹;广播(或讲话等)稿;v.为电影(或戏剧等)写剧本; expressing:v.表示;表达;表露;显而易见;(express的现在分词) sympathy:n.同情;慰问;赞同; plight:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定; arrangements:n.安排;筹备;布置;商定;(arrangement的复数)
|
Friends wonder privately how someone so well educated could be in economic free fall . |
朋友们私下纳闷着, 我受过这么好的教育, 怎么可能在经济上摔得这么惨。 |
privately:adv.私下地;秘密地; economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; free fall:n.自由落体;自由投放;自由下降;
|
I'm still as talented as ever and smart as a whip , but work is sketchy now, mostly on and off consulting gigs . |
我还是一样有才华、一样机敏, 但工作有一餐没一餐, 大部分是时有时无的谘询案件。 |
whip:n.鞭子; v.鞭打; sketchy:adj.写生风格的;写生的;概略的; consulting:adj.咨询的,商议的;v.咨询,请教;商议;(consult的现在分词形式) gigs:n.轻便两轮马车; v.用鱼叉捕鱼(gig的三单形式);
|
At 55 I've learned how to fake cheeriness, but there are not many opportunities for work anymore. |
在 55 岁时,我学会了假装开心, 但工作机会已经不多了。 |
I don't remember exactly when it stopped, but I cannot deny now having entered the uncertain world of formerly and used to be. |
我无法明确记得是何时停止的, 但我无法否认我已经进入了 以前曾经历过的不稳定、 无常的情况中了。 |
deny:v.否定,否认;拒绝给予;拒绝…的要求; uncertain:adj.无常的;含糊的;靠不住的;迟疑不决的; formerly:adv.以前;原来;
|
I'm not sure anymore where I belong. |
我再也不确定我的归属在哪里。 |
What I do know is that dozens of online job applications seem to just disappear into a black hole . |
我确切知道的是, 数十张线上工作应征申请表 似乎都石沉大海。 |
disappear:v.消失;失踪;不复存在; a black hole:莫名其妙,如坠云雾;
|
I'm wondering what is to become of me. |
我很纳闷我之后会变成什么样子。 |
So far my health has held up, but my body aches -- or is it my spirit? |
目前我的健康还过得去, 但我身体的疼痛—— 还是其实是心灵的痛? |
Homeless women used to be invisible to me but I appraise them now with curious eyes, wondering if their stories started like mine. |
我以前都看不见无家可归的女性, 但现在我会用好奇的目光 来揣度她们, 纳闷她们故事的一开始 是否也和我一样。 |
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物; appraise:v.评价,鉴定;估价; curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
|
I wrote this piece a year ago. |
我一年前写了这篇作品。 |
It's a composite of my story and other women I know. |
它包含了我的故事 以及我认识的其他女性。 |
composite:n.复合材料;合成物;菊科;adj.复合的;合成的;菊科的;vt.使合成;使混合;
|
I wrote it because I was tired of pretending |
我之所以写下它是因为我厌倦了 |
I was all right when I wasn't. |
当我失意落魄时还要假装过得不错。 |
I was tired of faking normal. |
我厌倦了假装一切安好如常。 |
faking:v.伪造;冒充;假装,佯装,装出;(fake的现在分词)
|
I wasn't seeing myself in the popular press. |
我没有在主流新闻中看见我自己。 |
Nobody I knew was traveling the world or buying a condo in Costa Rica. |
我不认识任何环游世界的人 或在哥斯大黎加买公寓的人。 |
Costa:n.[解剖]肋骨;叶脉;[昆]前缘脉;
|
Very few of my friends had set aside the 15 to 20 percent experts tell us we need to maintain our standard of living in retirement. |
几乎没有朋友听从专家的建议, 将收入的 15% 到 20 % 存下来, 以便在退休后能维持 我们既有的生活水平。 |
maintain:v.维持;保持;维修;保养;坚持(意见); standard of living:n.生活水平;
|
My friends, many in their 50s and 60s, were looking at a downward mobility , a work-for-life proposition , just a job loss, medical diagnosis or divorce away from insolvency . |
我许多朋友都已经五、六十岁了, 他们要面临的是行动力下降, 考虑是否要终身工作, 只要一次失業、一次医疗诊断 或一次离婚,就会破产。 |
downward:adj.下降的;向下的;adv.同"downwards"; mobility:n.移动性;机动性;[电子]迁移率; proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议; diagnosis:n.诊断; divorce:n.离婚;分离;v.与某人离婚;使分离; insolvency:n.破产,无力偿还;倒闭;
|
We may not have hit rock bottom , but many of us saw a sequence of events where rock bottom was possible for the first time. |
我们可能还没有跌到谷底, 但我们当中许多人 都经历了一连串的事件, 让他们第一次觉得, 跌到谷底是有可能的。 |
rock bottom:adj.底层的;最低的;n.最低点; sequence:n.顺序; v.按顺序排列;
|
And the truth is, it really doesn't take much. |
事实是,要跌到谷底并不难。 |
The median household in the US only has enough savings to replace one month of income. |
美国的一般家庭 存款只足够代替一个月的收入。 |
median:n.n.中值,中位数;三角形中线;梯形中位线;adj.中值的;中央的; household:n.家庭;一家人;同住一所(或一套)房子的人;adj.家庭的;家常的;王室的;
|
Forty-seven percent of us cannot pull together 400 dollars to deal with an emergency . |
我们当中有 47% 的人 无法凑出 400 美元 来处理紧急事件。 |
pull together:齐心协力; emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的;
|
That's almost half of us. |
那几乎是一半的人了。 |
A major car repair and we're standing on the abyss . |
若车子需要一次大翻修 我们就已站在深渊边缘了。 |
repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮; abyss:n.深渊;深邃,无底洞,地狱;
|
You wouldn't know it to look around you -- |
看看你四周,你不会知道—— |
I'm not the only one in this situation. |
我并不是唯一处在这种情况的人。 |
There are people in this room who are in the same predicament , and if it's not you, it is your parents or your sister or maybe your best friend. |
在这间房间中也有人 和我有相同的困境, 如果不是你, 也可能是你的父母、 你的姐妹或你最好的朋友。 |
predicament:n.窘况,困境;状态;
|
We get good at faking normal. |
我们都很擅长假装一切安好。 |
Shame keeps us silent and siloed . |
羞耻感让我们保持沉默和孤立。 |
siloed:n.筒仓;青贮窖;飞弹发射井;vt.把…存入青贮窖;把…储存在筒仓内;
|
When I first decided I was going to come out with my story, |
当我最初决定要出来 讲述我的故事时, |
come out with:说出;发表;出版;供应,把…投入市场;
|
I did a website and a friend noticed that there were no photos of me -- it was all kind of cartoons like this. |
我设了一个网站, 一个朋友注意到 网站上没有我的照片—— 上面都是像这样的漫画。 |
Even as I was coming out, |
即使我站出来了, |
I was still hiding. |
我也还在躲藏。 |
We live in a world where success is defined by income. |
在我们所居住的世界中, 成功是由收入来定义的。 |
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确;
|
When you say that you have money problems, you're announcing pretty much that you're a loser. |
当你说你有金钱方面的问题时, 你差不多就等于是 宣布你是个失败者了。 |
When you're a graduate of Harvard Business School as I am, you're some kind of double loser. |
当你跟我一样 是哈佛商学院的毕業生, 你就是某种双重失败者。 |
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生; Business School:n.(大学里针对毕业生的)工商学院;
|
We boomers hear a lot about how we have underfunded our retirement; how it's all our fault. |
我们这些婴儿潮出生的人, 常听到我们所提拨的退休金不足, 说错全都在我们。 |
boomers:n.生育高峰中出生的人; underfunded:adj.资金不足的;v.对…提供的资金不足(underfund的过去分词);
|
Why on earth would we draw down our 401(k) plan to cover the shortfall on our mother-in-law's nursing home care, or to pay for our kid's tuition , or just to survive? |
到底为什么要提领我们 401(k) 退休福利计画的钱, 去补足我们亲家母 在养老院的照护赤字, 或是支付我们孩子的学费, 或只是用来生存? |
shortfall:n.差额;缺少; nursing home:养老院; tuition:n.指导;(尤指大专院校的)学费;
|
We're accused of being poor planners and deadbeats -- all that money we spent on lattes and bottled water. |
我们被指控是很不懂规划的人 及游手好闲的人—— 所有的钱都花在拿铁和瓶装水上。 |
accused:v.控告;控诉;谴责;(accuse的过去分词和过去式) planners:n.规划师;规划人员(planner的复数);计划人员; deadbeats:n.游手好闲者;赖债不还的人;落泊者;adj.非周期的;直进式的; lattes:n.热牛奶咖啡,拿铁咖啡;(latte的复数)
|
To shame and blame is so deliciously tempting . |
羞辱和责怪别人是如此诱人。 |
deliciously:adv.美味地,芬香地; tempting:adj.吸引人的;诱惑人的;v.引诱;(tempt的现在分词);
|
Many of us don't even wait for others to do it we're so busy doing it to ourselves. |
许多人甚至还没等别人这么做, 就自己先自责起来了。 |
I say let's own our part: we all could have saved more. |
我认为大家应各自反省: 我们原本可以存更多钱。 |
I know I could have saved more, and if you were to rifle through my life over the last 30 years, you would see more than one dumb thing I have done financially . |
我知道我本来可以存更多, 如果你能快速看 我过去三十年的人生, 你就会看到我在财务上 做的蠢事不只一桩。 |
rifle:n.步枪;来复枪;v.快速搜寻;匆忙翻找;偷窃;盗取; dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的; financially:adv.财政上;金融上;
|
I can't change that now and neither can you, but let's not mix up individual , isolated behavior with the systemic factors that have caused a 7.7-trillion-dollar retirement income gap . |
我现在无法改变过去, 你也不能, 但不要把个别、独立的行为 和造成退休金 7.7 兆美元缺口的 系统因子搞混。 |
individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离; systemic:adj.系统的;全身的;体系的; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开;
|
Millions of boomer-age Americans did not land here because of too many trips to Starbucks . |
美国数百万名婴儿潮的人 并不是因为太常去星巴克 而落到这步田地。 |
Starbucks:n.星巴克(咖啡店名);
|
We spent the last three decades dealing with flat and falling wages and disappearing pensions and through-the-roof cost on housing and health care and education. |
过去三十年间, 我们面临着通膨、下跌的薪资、 消失的退休金, 以及房价、医疗保健 和教育费用的飙升飞涨。 |
wages:n.[劳经]工资; v.开展(运动等)(wage的第三人称单数形式); disappearing:v.消失;不复存在;灭绝;丢失(disappear的现在分词) pensions:n.[劳经]养老金(pension的复数形式); v.发放退休金(pension的第三人称单数形式); health care:n.卫生保健;
|
It used to not be like this. |
以前并不是这个样子的。 |
We all remember the three-legged retirement income stool which had the savings and pension and social security . |
我们都还记得退休收入的三脚凳, 它有储蓄、退休金和社会福利。 |
three-legged:adj.三条腿的;三脚的; stool:n.凳子;大便;粪便;v.长出新枝;排便 social security:n.社会保障金(政府定期向贫穷、失业、患病等人发放);
|
Well, that stool has gone wobbly . |
而那张凳子开始晃动了。 |
wobbly:adj.不稳定的;摆动的;歪斜的;
|
Take savings -- what savings? |
比如储蓄——什么储蓄? |
For many families, there's just nothing left to save after the bills have been paid. |
对许多家庭来说, 付完帐单就已无余钱可供储蓄了。 |
The pension leg of the stool has also gone wobbly. |
凳子的「退休金」 那只脚也开始晃动。 |
We can remember when many people had pensions. |
我们还记得以前很多人有退休金。 |
Today only 13 percent of American workers are employed by companies that offer them. |
现今美国只有 13% 的工作者 受雇于会支付他们退休金的公司。 |
employed:v.雇用:应用:运用:使用(employ的过去分词和过去式)
|
So what did we get instead? |
那我们反而得到什么? |
We got 401(k)-type plans and suddenly responsibility for retirement planning got shifted from our companies to us. |
我们得到了401(k) 的 退休福利计画, 还突然把退休计画的责任 从公司移转到我们个人身上。 |
shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词);
|
We got the reigns but we also got the risk, and it turns out that millions of us just aren't that good at voluntarily investing over 40 years. |
我们得到了支配权, 但也得承担风险, 结果发现我们有 数百万人在 40 年间 并非那么擅长做自主性投资。 |
reigns:vi.统治;支配;盛行;君临;n.统治;统治时期;支配; voluntarily:adv.自动地;以自由意志; investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词)
|
Millions of us just aren't that good at managing market risk. |
我们有数百万人就是 不那么擅长管理市场风险。 |
And really the numbers tell the story. |
真的,数字会说话。 |
Half of all American households have no retirement savings at all. |
半数的美国家庭完全没有退休储蓄。 |
households:n.家庭;拆迁户;家户(household的复数);
|
That would be zero. |
那就是 0 存款。 |
No 401(k), no IRA, not a dime . |
没有401(k) 退休福利计画、 没有个人退休帐户,一分钱都没有。 |
dime:n.一角硬币;
|
Among 55-to-64-year-olds who do have a retirement account, the median value of that account is 104,000 dollars. |
在 55 到 64 岁之间 确实有退休帐户的人口中, 存款的中位数是 104,000 美元。 |
Now, 104,000 dollars does sound better than zero, but as an annuity , it generates about 300 dollars. |
104,000 美元听起来 的确比 0 美元更好。 但作为退休年金, 它的月领金额大约是 300 美元。 |
annuity:n.年金,养老金;年金保险;年金享受权; generates:[计]生成;发生;
|
I don't have to tell you that you can't live on that. |
不用我说,你们也知道 这钱不够生活。 |
With savings down, pensions becoming a relic of the past and 401(k) plans failing millions of Americans, many near-retirees are dependent on social security as their retirement plan . |
随着储蓄下降, 退休金已经名存实亡, 而 401(k) 退休福利计画 让数百万的美国人失望了, 许多快退休的人要仰赖社会福利 来当他们的退休计画。 |
relic:n.遗迹,遗物;废墟;纪念物; dependent on:依赖于;依靠; retirement plan:un.退休金计划;
|
But here's the problem. |
但问题来了。 |
Social security was never supposed to be the retirement plan. |
社会福利从来就不应该 被当作退休计画。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
It's not nearly enough. |
它不够,且还差得远。 |
At best it replaces something like 40 percent of your pre-retirement income. |
它顶多能提供你 退休前 40% 薪资的金额。 |
Things have changed a lot from when social security was introduced back in 1935. |
从 1935 年社会福利 开始施行之后, 世事发生了许多变化。 |
Then, a 21-year-old male had a 50 percent chance of living until he was 65. |
当年,21 岁的男性 有 50% 的机率 可以活到 65 岁。 |
So he retired at 60, did a little fishing, kissed his grandkids , got his gold watch -- he'd be dead within five years of receiving benefits. |
所以他 60 岁会退休, 去钓钓鱼,亲亲他的孙子孙女, 买一只金表—— 在领了五年的福利金之后, 他就会死亡了。 |
grandkids:n.(外)孙;(外)孙女;(grandkid的复数)
|
That's not the pattern today. |
现今的模式不是这样的。 |
If you're in your late 50s and in good health, you're going to live easily another 20 or 25 years. |
如果你快要 60 岁 且健康状况不错, 你很容易可以 再活个 20 到 25 年。 |
That's a really long time to make ends meet if you are broke. |
如果这时你破产了, 你将有漫漫长路要去维持收支平衡。 |
So what's the play if you've landed here and you're 50 or 55 or 60? |
所以,如果你是在 50、55 或 60 岁 遇到这种情况,该怎么做? |
What's the play if you don't want to land here and you're 22 or 32? |
如果你现在是 22 或 32 岁, 不想沦落到这地步,又该怎么做呢? |
Here's what I've learned from my own experience. |
以下是我从自身经验学到的。 |
The cavalry's not coming. |
没有救兵会来救你。 |
There is no big rescue , no prince charming , no big bailout in the works . |
没有什么大救援, 没有什么白马王子, 也没有大型财务救济计画。 |
rescue:n.救援;抢救;营救;获救;v.抢救;营救;援救; prince charming:n.白马王子;(女子的)梦中情人; bailout:n.紧急救助;跳伞; in the works:正在准备阶段;在进行中或准备中;
|
To have a shot at something other than being old and poor in America, we're going to have to save ourselves and each other. |
在美国,若想要有机会 脱离又老又穷的状态, 我们就得要拯救自己和彼此。 |
I've had to come out of the shadows, stand here openly, and I'm inviting you to do so as well. |
我已从阴影底下走出来, 公开站在这里, 我也邀请各位这么做。 |
I'm not going to tell you that it's not easy. |
我不会告诉你们这不容易。 |
I ventured though to tell my story because I thought it would make it a little easier for people to tell theirs. |
我冒险说出我的故事 是因为我认为这样做能让大家 较容易说出自己的故事。 |
ventured:v.敢于冒险;小心地说,谨慎地做;(venture的过去分词和过去式)
|
I think it's only through our strength in numbers that we can begin to change the national "la-la" conversation that we are having on this retirement crisis . |
我想也只能靠群聚众人之力, 我们才能开始改变国家 针对这个退休危机 和我们所进行的「不切实际」对谈。 |
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
|
With so many of us shell-shocked and adrift about what has happened to us, we're going to have to build up from the grassroots , forming what I think are resilience circles. |
鉴于我们对于所经历过的事 都已感到身心俱疲和无所适从, 因此我们得从根本开始建立起, 形成我心中的恢复圈。 |
shell-shocked:adj.患战斗疲劳症的;患炮弹休克症的; adrift:adj.漂泊的;漂浮着的;adv.随波逐流地;漂浮着; grassroots:adj.基层的;草根的;乡村的;n.草根;基础; resilience:n.恢复力;弹力;顺应力;
|
These are small groups of people coming together to talk about what has happened to them, to share resources and information and to begin to figure out a way forward. |
恢复圈就是由人们组成的小群体, 聚在一起谈论发生在他们身上的事, 分享资源和资讯 并开始找出能向前行的方法。 |
resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
I believe from this base that we can find our voices again and sound the alarm -- start pushing our institutions and policymakers to go hard on this retirement crisis with the urgency it deserves . |
我相信在这个基础之上, 我们就能再次为自己发声 并敲响警钟—— 开始督促我们的机构和政策制定者, 努力处理这个具急迫性的退休危机。 |
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数) policymakers:n.决策人;(policymaker的复数) urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事; deserves:v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的第三人称单数)
|
In the meantime -- and there is an "in the meantime" -- we're going to have to adopt a live-low-to-the-ground minds et, d rastically cutting back on our ex pe nses. |
同时—— 还有个「同时」—— 我们得要有节俭度日的心态, 大大缩减我们的开销。 |
In the meantime:在此期间;于此际;
|
And I don't mean just living within our means. |
我的意思并不只是量入为出。 |
A lot of people are already doing that. |
很多人已经那么做了。 |
What is called for now is to, in a much deeper way, ask ourselves what it really means to live a life that is not defined by things. |
在更深层的意义上, 现在需要做的, 是要问问我们自己, |
I call it "smalling up." |
我称它是「简约且具质感」。 |
Smalling up is figuring out what you really need to feel contented and grounded. |
简质的生活就是要找出让自己感到 真正满足和踏实的必要需求。 |
contented:adj.满足的;心安的;v.使…满足;使…安心(content的过去式和过去分词);
|
I have a friend who drives really beat-up , raggedy cars, but he will scrimp and save 15,000 dollars at one point to buy a flute because music is what really matters to him. |
我有个朋友开着一台破铜烂铁的车, 但他省吃俭用, 直到存够了 15,000 美元 就去买一支长笛, 因为音乐对他来说才是真正重要的。 |
beat-up:adj.破旧的;蓬头垢面的;n.火力扫射; raggedy:adj.破烂的,褴褛的; scrimp:v.省吃俭用,节衣缩食(尤指为了攒钱); flute:n.长笛;细长香槟杯;v.吹笛子;给(衣服)加褶边,加荷叶边
|
He smalled up. |
他过着简约却具质感的生活。 |
I've had to also let go of magical thinking -- this idea that if I just was patient enough and tightened my belt that things would go back to normal. |
我也得抛开不切实际的想法—— 以为如果我能有足够的耐心 并束紧腰带, 一切就会回到以前的常态。 |
patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; tightened:v.(使)变紧,更加牢固;使更加严格;加强(tighten的过去分词和过去式) belt:n.皮带;腰带;传动带;传送带;v.猛击;狠打;飞奔;飞驰;
|
If I just sent in one more CV or applied to one more job online or attended one more networking event that surely I'd get the kind of job I was used to having. |
如果我再寄出一份简历表, 或是再上网多申请一个工作, 或是再去参加一场人脉交流的活动, 那我肯定就可以找到 以前做的那种工作。 |
applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式)
|
Surely things would return to normal. |
一切肯定就会回归常轨。 |
The truth is I'm not going back and neither are you. |
事实是我回不去了,你们也一样。 |
The normal that we knew is over. |
我们所知道的正常已经结束了。 |
In this new place that we are, we're going to be asked to do things that we don't want to do. |
在我们现在所处的新阶段, 我们会被要求做我们不想做的事。 |
We're going to be asked to take assignments that we think are beneath our station and our talent and our skill. |
要去接受那些我们认为 以我们的地位、才能和技艺来讲, 实在是大材小用的工作。 |
assignments:n.作业;分配;(assignment的复数形式) beneath:prep.在…之下;adv.在下方;
|
I have had to get off my throne . |
我得要离开我的宝座,放下身段。 |
throne:n.王座;君主;王权;v.登上王座;
|
Last year, a good friend of mine asked me if I would help her with some organization work. |
去年,我的一位好友问我 能不能幫她做些组织、筹画的工作。 |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体;
|
I assumed she meant community organizing along the lines of what President Obama did in Chicago. |
我以为她指的是社区组织, 就像欧巴马总统在芝加哥做的一样。 |
assumed:adj.假定的;假设的;v.假定;假设;认为;承担;(assume的过去分词和过去式) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; organizing:v.组织;安排;处理;分配;管理;(organize的现在分词)
|
She meant organizing somebody's closet . |
结果她指的是整理某人的储藏室。 |
closet:n.贮藏室;壁橱adj.隐藏(身份等)的;v.把…关在房间里;
|
I said, "I'm not doing that." |
我说:「我不做那种事。」 |
She said, "Get off your throne. Money is green." |
她说:「放下你的身段, 钱是『绿色』的。」 |
It's not easy being part of the advance team that is ushering in this new era of work and living. |
成为先遣队的一员 要开创出新时代的 工作和生活方式并不容易。 |
ushering:v.把…引往;引导;引领;(usher的现在分词)
|
First is always hardest. |
万事起头难。 |
First is before there are networks and pathways and role models ... |
因为是最先,所以还没有支援网络、 通路以及典范…… |
pathways:n.小路;小径(pathway的复数);
|
before there are policies and ways to show us how to go forward. |
还没有政策,也没有方法能告诉我们 如何向前行。 |
policies:n.政策;方针;原则;为人之道;保险单(policy的复数)
|
We're in the middle of a seismic shift, and we're going to have to find bridgework to get us through. |
我们正处在一个重大改变当中, 我们得要找到度过难关的方法。 |
seismic:adj.地震的;因地震而引起的; bridgework:n.架桥工程;假牙架;
|
Bridgework is what we do in the meantime; bridgework is what we do while we're trying to figure out what is next. |
这段时间我们所做的就是架桥工程; 当我们试图在想出下一步时, 这段过渡期我们所做的事 就是架桥工程。 |
Bridgework is also letting go of this notion that our worth and our value depend on our income and our titles and our jobs. |
架桥工程也是要屏除掉 我们的价值是取决于 我们的收入、 头衔及工作的谬误。 |
notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
|
Bridgework can look crazy or cool depending on how you were rolling when your personal financial crisis hit. |
架桥工程看起来可能很疯狂、 也可能很酷, 就看当你个人的财务危机来袭时, 你要如何应对。 |
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词;
|
I have friends with PhDs who are working at the Container Store or driving Uber or Lyft, and then I have other friends who are partnering with other boomers and doing really cool entrepreneurial ventures . |
我有些有博士学位的友人 在连锁大卖场工作 或是开优步、利夫特, 也有其他朋友和婴儿潮的人, 合伙做了很酷的创業投资。 |
Uber:adj.最好的;?超级的;n.Uber(公司品牌名)优步; entrepreneurial:adj.企业家的,创业者的;中间商的; ventures:n.合资企业(venture的复数); v.敢尝试,冒险一试(venture的第三人称单数);
|
Bridgework doesn't mean that we don't want to build on our past careers , that we don't want meaningful work. |
进行架桥工程并不表示我们不想要 建基在我们过去的职涯之上, 也不表示我们不想要 做有意义的工作。 |
careers:n.职业(career的复数);事业;职业生涯;v.全速前进(career的三单形式); meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
|
We do. |
我们当然想要! |
Bridgework is what we do in the meantime while we're figuring out what is next. |
架桥工程是在我们试图 找出下一步该如何走时, |
I've also learned to think strategy not failure when I'm sort of processing all these things that I don't want to do. |
我也学会了当我在处理 这些我不想做的事情时, 要认为这是权宜性的策略 而非意味着失败。 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; processing:v.加工;处理;审核;数据处理;v.列队行进;缓缓前进;(process的现在分词)
|
And I say that that's an approach that I would invite you to consider as well. |
我也希望能邀请 各位考虑一下这个方法。 |
approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
So if you need to move in with your brother to make ends meet, call him. |
如果你得要搬去和你的兄弟 一起住来让收支平衡, 就打电话给他。 |
If you need to take in a boarder to help you pay your mortgage or pay your rent, do it. |
如果你得要分租房间 来支付你的贷款 或支付你的房租, 就去做。 |
boarder:n.寄膳者;寄膳宿者;寄宿生; mortgage:vt.抵押;n.抵押;房屋抵押贷款;
|
If you need to get food stamps, get the darn food stamps. |
如果你需要领食物券, 就去领那天杀的食物券。 |
darn:v.织补,缝补;n.织补;
|
AARP says only a third of older adults who are eligible actually get them. |
美国退休人员协会说,只有 1/3 符合领食物券的长者会去领取。 |
eligible:adj.合格的,合适的;符合条件的;有资格当选的;n.合格者;适任者;有资格者;
|
Do what you need to do to go another round. |
做你必须要做的, 让你能再撑一回合。 |
Know that there are millions of us. |
要知道还有数百万像我们这样的人。 |
Come out of the shadows. |
走出阴影。 |
Cut back, small up; think strategy, not failure; get off your throne and find the bridgework to get your through the lean times. |
缩衣节食, 过简质的生活; 把这当做是策略,而非失败; 放下你的身段, 找到过渡期的解决方案 让你能撑过拮据的日子。 |
lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉:
|
As a country, we have achieved longevity , investing billions of dollars in the diagnosis, treatment and management of disease . |
我们这个国家已经 达成了长寿的目标, 投资数十亿美元 |
longevity:n.长寿,长命;寿命; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段; disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
It's not enough to just live a long time. |
光是活得久还不够。 |
We want to live well. |
我们也想要活得好。 |
We haven't invested nearly as much in the physical infrastructure to ensure that that happens. |
我们还没有投资同等的钱 去做实体的基础设施 来确保我们能活得好。 |
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造; ensure:vt.保证,确保;使安全;
|
We need now a new way of thinking about what it means to be old in America. |
现在我们需要一种新的思考方式, 想想在美国变老的意义为何。 |
And we need guidance and ideas about how to live a richly textured life on a much more modest income. |
我们需要指引和建议, 让大家知道 如何运用适中的收入 来过具质感的生活。 |
richly:adv.丰富地;富裕地;完全地; textured:adj.有织纹的; v.使具有某种结构(texture的过去分词); modest:adj.些许的;谦虚的;
|
So I am calling on change agents and social entrepreneurs , artists and elders and impact investors. |
所以,我要号召改革人士 社会上的企業家、 艺术家和年长者们, 还有具影响力的投资者们。 |
agents:n.代理人,经纪人;原动力;(agent的复数) entrepreneurs:n.企业家;(entrepreneur的复数) impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
I'm calling on developers and disrupters of the status quo . |
我要号召发展者和现况改变者。 |
developers:n.开发商;发展者;[摄]显影剂(developer的复数); disrupters:n.破坏者;分裂者; status quo:n.现状;原来的状况;
|
We need you to help us imagine how to invest in the services and products and infrastructure that will support our dignity , our independence and our well-being in these many, many decades that we're going to live. |
我需要你们来协助我们, 设想如何在服务、产品 以及基础设施上来投资, 以维护我们的尊严、 独立性以及我们的福祉, 让我们能在接下来的 几十年都能活得更好。 |
dignity:n.尊严;高贵; independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神; well-being:n.幸福;康乐;
|
My journey has taken me from a place of fear and shame to one of humility and understanding. |
我的旅程已经把我从 心存恐惧和羞耻 带到了谦卑和理解的境界。 |
journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; humility:n.谦卑,谦逊;
|
I'm ready now to link shields with others, to fight this fight, and I'm inviting you to join me. |
现在我已经准备好 要和其他人联手抵御, 要打这场仗, 我也邀请各位加入我。 |
shields:n.盾牌; v.屏蔽; (shield的第三人称单数)
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |