返回首页

EliPariser_2011-_当心网上“过滤气泡”_

Mark Zuckerberg, a journalist was asking him a question about the news feed. 马克·扎克伯格 曾被一位记者问及动态消息的问题。
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
And the journalist was asking him, "Why is this so important?" 这位记者问他, “为什么滚动新闻如此重要?”
And Zuckerberg said, "A squirrel dying in your front yard may be more relevant to your interests right now than people dying in Africa." 扎克伯格说, “此时,你前院奄奄一息的松鼠 可能与你的兴趣更加“相关”, 比起非洲那些挣扎在死亡线上的人们。”
squirrel:n.松鼠; relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
And I want to talk about what a Web based on that idea of relevance might look like. 我想谈谈 建立在这个“相关”的思路上的一个网络会是什么样子。
relevance:n.关联;适当;中肯;
So when I was growing up in a really rural area in Maine , the Internet meant something very different to me. 当我生活在缅因州、 一个非常典型农村地区的时候, 互联网对我而言,有着完全不同的意义。
rural:adj.农村的,乡下的;田园的,有乡村风味的; Maine:n.缅因州(美国州名);
It meant a connection to the world. 它意味着与整个世界的联系,
It meant something that would connect us all together. 它意味着与将所有人联系起来。
And I was sure that it was going to be great for democracy and for our society. 那时,我确信它对民主、 对我们的社会而言,都是件了不起的事。
democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
But there's this shift in how information is flowing online, and it's invisible . 但是,网上的信息流动 发生了改变, 并且这种改变是隐形的。
shift:n.移动;变化;手段;轮班;v.移动;转变;转换; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
And if we don't pay attention to it, it could be a real problem. 假如我们对此毫不留意, 它会成为一个真正的问题。
pay attention to:注意
So I first noticed this in a place I spend a lot of time -- my Facebook page. 所以,我最早是在我花了很多时间的地方注意到了这个问题-- 我的脸谱页面。
I'm progressive , politically -- big surprise -- but I've always gone out of my way to meet conservatives . 政治上,我是改革派--很意外吧-- 但我常常会特意去一些保守派的页面去看看。
progressive:adj.进步的;先进的;开明的;稳步的;n.进步人士;开明人士;改革派; politically:adv.政治上; conservatives:n.保守党,保守派;
I like hearing what they're thinking about; 我喜欢听他们的想法;
I like seeing what they link to; 我喜欢看他们有哪些链接;
I like learning a thing or two. 我喜欢从中学到一两件新鲜事。
And so I was surprised when I noticed one day that the conservatives had disappeared from my Facebook feed. 但有一天,我注意到, 我脸谱新闻组里的保守派全都消失了,这让我很吃惊。
disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
And what it turned out was going on was that Facebook was looking at which links I clicked on, and it was noticing that, actually, 结果是 脸谱会看我点击的链接, 实际上,它注意到
I was clicking more on my liberal friends' links than on my conservative friends' links. 相比我保守党派的朋友们, 我点击了更多的自由派朋友们的链接。
liberal:adj.宽宏大度的; n.理解且尊重他人意见的人;
And without consulting me about it, it had edited them out. 在没有告知我的情况下, 脸谱就把保守派信息编辑并删除了。
consulting:adj.咨询的,商议的;v.咨询,请教;商议;(consult的现在分词形式) edited:v.编辑,校订;编选;编集;(edit的过去分词和过去式)
They disappeared. 保守派的朋友们在我的页面上消失了。
So Facebook isn't the only place that's doing this kind of invisible, algorithmic editing of the Web. 脸谱不是唯一 进行这样隐形的、算法的 编辑网络的地方。
algorithmic:adj.[数]算法的;规则系统的; editing:v.编辑,校订(文章、书籍等);编选;(edit的现在分词)
Google 's doing it too. 谷歌也是如此。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
If I search for something, and you search for something, even right now at the very same time, we may get very different search results. 假如我搜索某种信息,你也搜索这种信息, 甚至是现在,在同一时间, 我们得到的搜索结果可能大不相同。
Even if you're logged out, one engineer told me, there are 57 signals that Google looks at -- everything from what kind of computer you're on to what kind of browser you're using to where you're located -- that it uses to personally tailor your query results. 一位工程师告诉我,即使你退出帐号, 还会有57种信号 可供谷歌参考-- 几乎所有的信息:从你使用的电脑型号 到你用的浏览器 到你所在的位置-- 谷歌利用这些为你定制出个性化的查询结果。
logged:v.把…载入正式记录;记录;行驶;采伐;(log的过去分词和过去式) browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人; located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式) personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言; query:n.疑问,质问;疑问号;[计]查询;vt.询问;对…表示疑问;vi.询问;表示怀疑;
Think about it for a second: there is no standard Google anymore. 稍微想想看: 从此不再会有标准版谷歌。
standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的;
And you know, the funny thing about this is that it's hard to see. 你知道,有趣一点的是,对此,人们很难察觉得到。
You can't see how different your search results are from anyone else's. 你不会看到你的搜索结果 与别人的搜索结果有什么不同。
But a couple of weeks ago, 但几周前,
I asked a bunch of friends to Google "Egypt" 我请一群朋友用谷歌搜索“埃及”,
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
and to send me screen shots of what they got. 然后将他们搜索结果的屏幕截图发给我。
So here's my friend Scott's screen shot. 这是我朋友斯科特的截屏。
And here's my friend Daniel's screen shot. 这个是我朋友丹尼尔的。
When you put them side-by-side , you don't even have to read the links to see how different these two pages are. 当你把它们并排放在一起, 你甚至不必查看链接, 就能看出这2个搜索页面有多大差别。
side-by-side:adj.并肩的;并行的;
But when you do read the links, it's really quite remarkable . 但当你查看这些链接后面的内容时, 差别真的相当相当大!
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
Daniel didn't get anything about the protests in Egypt at all in his first page of Google results. 在谷歌搜索结果的第一页,丹尼尔根本就没有 任何有关埃及抗议报道的新闻。
protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数);
Scott's results were full of them. 斯科特的搜索结果却全是这类新闻。
And this was the big story of the day at that time. 在当时,这可是当天的头条新闻。
That's how different these results are becoming. 搜索结果就是会如此的不同。
So it's not just Google and Facebook either. 这不仅指谷歌,也不仅指脸谱。
This is something that's sweeping the Web. 这种现象正在席卷整个网络。
sweeping:n.扫除; adj.影响广泛的; v.打扫; (sweep的现在分词)
There are a whole host of companies that are doing this kind of personalization . 有一大批的公司正在做这样的个性化定制服务。
personalization:n.个性化;
Yahoo News, the biggest news site on the Internet, is now personalized -- different people get different things. 雅虎新闻,网络上最大的新闻网站, 现在也个性化服务了--不同的人们得到不同的信息。
Yahoo:n.粗鲁的人; site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址; personalized:v.在…上标明主人姓名; (personalize的过去分词和过去式)
Huffington Post, the Washington Post, the New York Times -- all flirting with personalization in various ways. 赫芬顿邮报,华盛顿邮报,纽约时报-- 它们都以不同的方式与个性化定制搭上边。
flirting:v.调情,打情骂俏;(flirt的现在分词)
And this moves us very quickly toward a world in which the Internet is showing us what it thinks we want to see, but not necessarily what we need to see. 这会将我们很快地 推向这样一个世界—— 网络给我们显示它认为我们想要看到的信息, 而未必是我们需要的信息。
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
As Eric Schmidt said, "It will be very hard for people to watch or consume something that has not in some sense been tailored for them." 正如埃里克·施密特所言, “要人们观看或消费一些 在某种意义上并非 为他们个性定制的东西,是很难的。”
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
So I do think this is a problem. 所以,我认为这确实是个问题。
And I think, if you take all of these filters together, you take all these algorithms, you get what I call a filter bubble . 我认为,如果你把所有这些过滤器放在一起, 还有所有这些算法, 你会得到一个我所谓的“过滤气泡”。
filters:n.过滤器; v.过滤; (filter的第三人称单数和复数) bubble:n.泡;气泡;肥皂泡;一点感情;v.起泡;冒泡;洋溢着(某种感情);
And your filter bubble is your own personal unique universe of information that you live in online. 你的“过滤泡沫”是你自己个人的 独一无二的信息世界—— 也就是你所生活其中的网络世界。
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物;
And what's in your filter bubble depends on who you are, and it depends on what you do. 你的“过滤气泡”中包含了什么 取决于你是谁,也取决于你做的事情。
But the thing is that you don't decide what gets in. 但问题是你不能决定什么信息可以通过“过滤气泡”。
And more importantly, you don't actually see what gets edited out. 更重要的是, 实际上,你也看不到那些被删除的信息。
So one of the problems with the filter bubble was discovered by some researchers at Netflix . 所以奈飞DVD在线租赁公司(Netflix)的一些研发人员发现了 “过滤气泡”的一个问题。
Netflix:n.网飞公司(出租DVD;在线观看电影的网站。);
And they were looking at the Netflix queues , and they noticed something kind of funny that a lot of us probably have noticed, which is there are some movies that just sort of zip right up and out to our houses. 他们在查看奈飞数据队列时,注意到一些有意思的事; 可能我们很多人也已经注意到了, 那就是,有些电影 脱颖而出,直接进入到千家万户。
queues:n.[数]队列;行列(queue的复数形式);v.[数]排队(queue的第三人称单数);
They enter the queue, they just zip right out. 它们进入数据队列,然后直接脱颖而出。
So "Iron Man" zips right out, and "Waiting for Superman" 因此,“钢铁侠”脱颖而出, 而“等待超人”
can wait for a really long time. 要等待很长一段时间。
What they discovered was that in our Netflix queues there's this epic struggle going on between our future aspirational selves and our more impulsive present selves. 他们发现, 在奈飞数据队列中, 在未来满心抱负的我们与 今天更为冲动的我们之间 始终存在着史诗般的斗争。
epic:adj.史诗的,叙事诗的;n.史诗;叙事诗;史诗般的作品; aspirational:adj.有雄心壮志的;(生活形态等)梦寐以求的;n.成功指南;处世自助手册; impulsive:adj.冲动的;受感情驱使的;任性的;
You know we all want to be someone who has watched "Rashomon," 大家知道,我们都想成为 看过“罗生门”的那个人,
but right now we want to watch "Ace Ventura" for the fourth time. 但现在 我们想第四次看“神探飞机头”。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So the best editing gives us a bit of both. 而最好的编辑能兼顾这两方面的信息。
It gives us a little bit of Justin Bieber and a little bit of Afghanistan . 它会为我们提供一点儿有关贾斯汀·比伯的信息, 也会提供一点儿有关阿富汗的信息。
Afghanistan:n.阿富汗(国家名称,位于亚洲);
It gives us some information vegetables, it gives us some information dessert . 它会为我们提供一些信息“蔬菜”, 同时也为我们提供一些信息“甜点”。
dessert:n.甜食;甜品;餐后甜点;
And the challenge with these kinds of algorithmic filters, these personalized filters, is that, because they're mainly looking at what you click on first, it can throw off that balance. 这些算法过滤器和 这些个性化定制过滤器的挑战, 在于,因为它们主要参考 你最先点击的东西, 所以,它可能最后无法实现那种(信息间的)平衡。
mainly:adv.大多;大部分;主要地;首要地;
And instead of a balanced information diet, you can end up surrounded by information junk food . 非但不是平衡的信息“食谱”, 大家最终得到的可能 全是信息“垃圾食品”.
junk food:垃圾食物;华而不实的东西;
What this suggests is actually that we may have the story about the Internet wrong. 这表明, 实际上,我们在讲的可能是一个网络欺骗的故事。
In a broadcast society -- this is how the founding mythology goes -- in a broadcast society, there were these gatekeepers , the editors, and they controlled the flows of information. 在广播社会里-- 最初的虚构事实就是这样进行的-- 在广播社会里, 有这些审核者,编辑, 他们控制着信息流通。
broadcast:v.广播; n.广播节目; adj.[无线]播音的; mythology:n.神话;神话学;神话集; gatekeepers:n.门卫;信息传递者(gatekeeper的复数);
And along came the Internet and it swept them out of the way, and it allowed all of us to connect together, and it was awesome . 随后出现了互联网,它取而代之了过去所有的信息流通方式, 它让我们所有人都联系在一起, 这曾经妙不可言。
swept:v.扫除(sweep的过去式和过去分词);adj.扫频的; awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
But that's not actually what's happening right now. 但今天,实际上,情况已经发生了变化。
What we're seeing is more of a passing of the torch from human gatekeepers to algorithmic ones. 现在的情况,更像是(信息甄选的)“火炬” 从人工审核者 传递给了计算机算法“审核者”。
torch:n.火炬;手电筒;火把;v.纵火烧(建筑物或汽车);
And the thing is that the algorithms don't yet have the kind of embedded ethics that the editors did. 但问题是,这些计算机算法 自身并没有编辑们 所具备的职业道德。
embedded:adj.嵌入式的;植入的;内含的;v.嵌入(embed的过去式和过去分词形式); ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
So if algorithms are going to curate the world for us, if they're going to decide what we get to see and what we don't get to see, then we need to make sure that they're not just keyed to relevance. 所以,假若让算法为我们去创建一个世界, 假若它们来决定我们能看到什么、不能看到什么, 那么,我们必须要确保 它们不仅仅只是围绕“相关性”而已。
curate:n.助理牧师;副牧师;
We need to make sure that they also show us things that are uncomfortable or challenging or important -- this is what TED does -- other points of view. 我们得确保它们也会给我们展示 那些不合意的、具有挑战性的或重要的信息-- 这也是TED的所追求的-- 其他的观点。
And the thing is we've actually been here before as a society. 问题是,作为社会,我们实际上以前 有过如此的经历。
In 1915, it's not like newspapers were sweating a lot about their civic responsibilities. 在1915年,报纸并没有报道很多有关 有关公民责任的信息。
civic:adj.市的;公民的,市民的;
Then people noticed that they were doing something really important. 那是,人们意识到, 报纸正在做的事情非常的重要。
That, in fact, you couldn't have a functioning democracy if citizens didn't get a good flow of information. 事实上,假如得不到充分的信息 公民不可能 实现有效的民主。
That the newspapers were critical , because they were acting as the filter, and then journalistic ethics developed. 报纸很关键,因为它们起的是信息过滤器的作用, 随后,新闻职业道德应运而生。
critical:adj.鉴定的;[核]临界的;批评的,爱挑剔的;危险的;决定性的;评论的; journalistic:adj.新闻业的,新闻工作者的;
It wasn't perfect, but it got us through the last century. 那时,它并不完美, 但是,它带我们走过了上个世纪。
And so now, we're kind of back in 1915 on the Web. 所以,现在, 我们在网络上好像又回到了1915年。
And we need the new gatekeepers to encode that kind of responsibility into the code that they're writing. 我们需要新的信息审核者 将这种道德责任 输入到他们所写的算法代码中。
encode:vt.(将文字材料)译成密码;编码,编制成计算机语言;
I know that there are a lot of people here from Facebook and from Google -- 我知道,这里有很多来自脸谱和谷歌的朋友--
Larry and Sergey -- people who have helped build the Web as it is, and I'm grateful for that. 拉里和谢尔盖-- 有很多帮助建起现有互联网的朋友, 对此,我是表示感谢的。
But we really need you to make sure that these algorithms have encoded in them a sense of the public life, a sense of civic responsibility. 但我们真的需要你们来确保 互联网中的这些算法中考虑了 公共生活和公民责任感。
encoded:adj.[计]编码的;v.把…编码(encode的过去分词);
We need you to make sure that they're transparent enough that we can see what the rules are that determine what gets through our filters. 我们需要你们来确保这些算法有一定的透明, 使人们能了解些那些决定什么 能够通过我们的过滤器的运行规则。
transparent:adj.透明的;显然的;坦率的;易懂的; determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
And we need you to give us some control, so that we can decide what gets through and what doesn't. 我们需要你们给我们一些管理权限, 这样,我们就能决定 什么信息可以通过,什么不能通过。
Because I think we really need the Internet to be that thing that we all dreamed of it being. 因为我认为 我们真的需要互联网成为 我们所梦想的那样。
We need it to connect us all together. 我们需要它使我们都联系在一起。
We need it to introduce us to new ideas and new people and different perspectives . 我们需要它向我们介绍新想法、 新面孔及不同的视角。
perspectives:n.[数]透视,远景,看法;构面;观点展示(perspective的复数形式);
And it's not going to do that if it leaves us all isolated in a Web of one. 它不可能实现这些, 假如它把我们都孤立在个性化的网络中。
isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离;
Thank you. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)