返回首页

EdUlbrich_2009-_本杰明_巴顿的脸是怎么来的_

I'm here today representing a team of artists and technologists and filmmakers that worked together on a remarkable film project for the last four years. 今天我在这里代表了一队艺术家、技术专家和电影制作者 在过去的四年里,他们在一起为一个了不起的电影项目工作。
representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词) technologists:n.技术人员(technologist的复数);[劳经]技术专家; filmmakers:n.制片人(filmmaker的复数); remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
And along the way they created a breakthrough in computer visualization . 在这一过程中,他们在计算机视觉特效做出了突破。
breakthrough:n.突破;开始取得成功之时;adj.突破性的; visualization:n.形象化;清楚地呈现在心;
So I want to show you a clip of the film now. 所以我现在想为你们播放一段电影片段。
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
Hopefully it won't stutter . 但愿播放不会卡。
stutter:v.结结巴巴地说话;n.口吃,结巴;
And if we did our jobs well, you won't know that we were even involved . 若是我们做得好的话,你们不会觉察到我们曾参与其中。
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
Film: I don't know how it's possible ... 电影内容:我不知道这怎么可能。。。
but you seem to have more hair. 但是看上去你的头发多了。
Benjamin Button: What if I told you that I wasn't getting older ... 本杰明·巴顿:如果我告诉你我没有变老。。。
What if:如果…怎么办?
but I was getting younger than everybody else? 却变得比比人年轻了会怎样?
I was born with some form of disease . 我生来就得了一种病。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
Voice: What kind of disease? 声音:什么病?
BB: I was born old. 本杰明·巴顿:我生来年老。
Man: I'm sorry. 男声:抱歉。
BB: No need to be. There's nothing wrong with old age. 本杰明·巴顿:没必要。年老没有什么错。
Girl: Are you sick? 女声:你病了吗?
BB: I heard momma and Tizzy whisper , and they said I was gonna die soon. 本杰明·巴顿:我听到妈妈和Tizzy偷偷说话, 他们说我就快要死了。
momma:n.妈妈; Tizzy:n.极度激动狂乱的心情;万分惊讶;adj.声音微弱地嗡嗡响的; whisper:v.耳语;低语;私语;小声说;n.耳语(声);低语(声);私语(声);轻柔的声音;
But ... maybe not. 但是。。。或许不会。
Girl: You're different than anybody I've ever met. 女声:你同我见过的所有人都不一样。
different than:不同于;
BB: There were many changes ... 本杰明·巴顿:变化了好多。。。
some you could see, some you couldn't. 一些你能看到,一些你不能。
Hair started growing in all sorts of places, along with other things. 毛发开始在身体的各个地方生长, 一些别的东西也是。
I felt pretty good, considering. 我感觉相当好。
Ed Ulbrich: That was a clip from "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button." Ed Ulbrich:刚刚播放的是来自《本杰明巴顿奇事》的电影片段。
Curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的;
Many of you, maybe you've seen it or you've heard of the story, but what you might not know is that for nearly the first hour of the film, the main character, Benjamin Button, who's played by Brad Pitt, is completely computer-generated from the neck up. 你们中的许多人可能已经看过或者听说过这个故事。 但是你或许有所不知的是 在电影的接近一小时里, 由布拉德皮特扮演的主角,本杰明巴顿 他脖子以上的部分完全是由计算机生成的。
computer-generated:adj.计算机产生的;电脑生成的;
Now, there's no use of prosthetic makeup or photography of Brad superimposed over another actor's body. 注意,我们没有使用假体化妆 或者将布拉德的照片附加到另一个演员的身体上。
prosthetic:adj.假体的;非朊基的; makeup:n.化妆品;组成;补充;补考; photography:n.摄影;摄影术; superimposed:adj.[地物]叠加的;上叠的;重迭的;叠覆的,重叠的;
We've created a completely digital human head. 我们创造了一个完全数字的人类头部。
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
So I'd like to start with a little bit of history on the project. 现在我想开始讲一点这个项目的历史。
This is based on an F. Scott Fitzgerald short story . 这是基于菲兹杰拉德的一部短篇故事。
short story:短篇小说(指一万字以内的小说);
It's about a man who's born old and lives his life in reverse . 讲的是一个生下来就很老然后过着相反的生活。
reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的;
Now, this movie has floated around Hollywood for well over half a century and we first got involved with the project in the early '90s with Ron Howard as the director. 现在,这个电影已经在好莱坞发行了 半个世纪了 在九十年代早期,我们第一次参与了这个项目 当时的导演是朗·霍华德
We took a lot of meetings and we seriously considered it. 我们开了很多会并认真的考虑了
But at the time we had to throw in the towel . 但是当时我们不得不投降认输
throw in the towel:认输;
It was deemed impossible. 当时被认为是不可能的。
deemed:v.认为;视为;相信;(deem的过去分词和过去式)
It was beyond the technology of the day to depict a man aging backwards. 刻画一个人从老到年轻,这超越了当时的技术能力。
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; depict:vt.描述;描画;
The human form, in particular the human head, has been considered the Holy Grail of our industry. 人类的构型,尤其是头部, 被看作是我们工业里的圣杯。
in particular:尤其,特别; Holy Grail:na.圣杯;
The project came back to us about a decade later, and this time with a director named David Fincher. 十年后这个项目由回到我们这里, 这一回导演的名字是大卫·芬奇
Now, Fincher is an interesting guy. 芬奇是个有趣的家伙。
David is fearless of technology, and he is absolutely tenacious . 他无惧于技术, 并且绝对固执。
fearless:adj.无畏的;大胆的; absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; tenacious:adj.顽强的;坚韧的;固执的;紧握的;黏着力强的;
And David won't take "no." 并且大卫不会接受“不”。
And David believed, like we do in the visual effects industry, that anything is possible as long as you have enough time, resources and, of course, money. 大卫相信,就像我们对视觉特效工业的观点一样, 没有不可能 前提是你有足够的时间,资源,当然,还有钱
as long as:conj.只要;长达;如果;既然; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
And so David had an interesting take on the film, and he threw a challenge at us. 因此大卫有兴趣接手这部电影, 并且给我们抛来一个挑战。
He wanted the main character of the film to be played from the cradle to the grave by one actor. 他希望电影中的主角 从摇篮里出来一直到进入坟墓,都由一个演员来演。
from the cradle to the grave:从生到死;从摇篮到坟墓;从摇篮瞬间埋入坟墓;自生到死;
It happened to be this guy. 刚好是这个人。
We went through a process of elimination and a process of discovery with David, and we ruled out, of course, swapping actors. 我们经历了削减和发现的过程 同大卫一道,当然,我们放弃了换演员的想法。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; elimination:n.消除;淘汰;除去; swapping:v.交换(东西);交换(工作);用…替换;(swap的现在分词)
That was one idea: that we would have different actors, and we would hand off from actor to actor. 那个想法就是:我们会有不同的演员, 并且我们会用一个又一个演员。
We even ruled out the idea of using makeup. 我们划掉了使用化妆的想法。
We realized that prosthetic makeup just wouldn't hold up, particularly in close-up . 我们意识到假体化妆就是没法做得真。 特别是近看的时候。
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; close-up:n.[电影]特写镜头,特写;小传;
And makeup is an additive process. You have to build the face up. 而且化妆是一个额外的步骤。 你不得不在脸的外边来化。
additive:n.添加剂,添加物;adj.附加的;[数]加法的;
And David wanted to carve deeply into Brad's face to bring the aging to this character. 大卫想让皱纹深深的刻在布拉德的脸上 以显示出这个角色的年纪变化。
carve:vt.雕刻;切开;开创;vi.切开;做雕刻工作;
He needed to be a very sympathetic character. 他需要一个非常的意气相投的人物。
sympathetic:adj.同情的;赞同的;和谐的;n.交感神经;容易感受的人;
So we decided to cast a series of little people that would play the different bodies of Benjamin at the different increments of his life and that we would in fact create a computer-generated version of Brad's head, aged to appear as Benjamin, and attach that to the body of the real actor. 所以我们决定拍摄一系列的小人物 他们扮演本杰明 在不同时候的不同的身体 并且我们事实上会创造一个计算机生成的布拉德的头部。 随本杰明年纪而变化, 并将它附到真的演员身体上。
series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; little people:n.小老百姓;异常矮小的人;侏儒;"袖珍"人; increments:n.[数]增量(incremment的复数);增加数; attach:v.贴上;重视;把…固定,把…附(在…上);参加;与…有联系;
Sounded great. 听上去很棒。
Of course, this was the Holy Grail of our industry, and the fact that this guy is a global icon didn't help either, because I'm sure if any of you ever stand in line at the grocery store, you know, we see his face constantly . 当然,这曾经是我们这一行离得圣杯, 事实上布拉德作为一个全球符号也没能帮上一把, 因为我很确信如果你们任何人站成一行在杂货店里, 你知道,我们总是看到他的脸。
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; stand in line:站队; grocery:n.食品杂货店;食品杂货; constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
So there really was no tolerable margin of error . 所以这里边没有容错的空间。
tolerable:adj.可以的;可容忍的; margin of error:n.误差幅度;
There were two studios involved: Warner Brothers and Paramount . 华纳兄弟和派拉蒙参与在其中。
studios:n.工作室(studio的复数); Warner:n.警告者;报警器; Paramount:adj.最重要的,主要的;至高无上的;n.最高统治者;
And they both believed this would make an amazing film, of course, but it was a very high-risk proposition . 他们都相信这无疑会是一个令人惊奇的电影 但是它也是一个非常高风险的提议。
high-risk:adj.高危险度的; proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议;
There was lots of money and reputations at stake . 很多的钱与声誉都处在危险关头。
stake:n.桩,棍子;赌注;火刑;奖金;v.资助,支持;系…于桩上;把…押下打赌;
And we believed that we had a very solid methodology that might work ... 我们相信我们有一个非常坚实的方法 可能管用。。。
methodology:n.方法学,方法论;
But despite our verbal assurances , they wanted some proof . 但是无论我们如何口头承诺, 他们要一些证明。
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; verbal:adj.口头的;言语的;动词的;照字面的;n.动词的非谓语形式; assurances:n.保证;保险(assurance的复数形式); proof:n.证据;证实;adj.能抵御;可防护;
And so, in 2004, they commissioned us to do a screen test of Benjamin. 为此,在2004年,他们委托我们做一次本杰明的试镜。
commissioned:adj.受委任的;v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的过去式和过去分词) screen test:na.[影视]试镜头(测验某人是否适于当电影演员);
And we did it in about five weeks. 我们差不多五周后做给他们看。
But we used lots of cheats and shortcuts . 但是我们在其中参了好多假并走了捷径。
shortcuts:n.近路;捷径;快捷方式(图标);(shortcut的复数)
We basically put something together to get through the meeting. 基本上我们把一些东西搁了一块儿就通过了会议。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
I'll roll that for you now. This was the first test for Benjamin Button. 我现在把那些拿出来给你们看。 这是本杰明巴顿的第一个测试。
And in here, you can see, that's a computer-generated head. 然后在这里,你肯一看到,那是一个计算机生成的头部。
It's pretty good. Attached to the body of an actor. 相当不错。附到演员的身体后的样子。
Attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
And it worked. And it gave the studio great relief . 这个成了。 制片厂松了一口气。
relief:n.救济;减轻,解除;安慰;浮雕;
After many years of starts and stops on this project, and making that tough decision, they finally decided to greenlight the movie. 在这个项目拍拍停停好多年, 并做了艰难的选择后, 他们最终决定为这个电影开绿灯。
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; greenlight:vt.许可;为…开绿灯;n.许可;交通绿灯;
And I can remember, actually, when I got the phone call to congratulate us, to say the movie was a go, 我可以记起来,事实上,但我收到祝贺我们的电话, 说电影要拍了的时候,
I actually threw up. 我其实是一团糟。
(Laughter) (笑声)
You know, this is some tough stuff . 你知道,这是一些艰难的东西。
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
So we started to have early team meetings, and we got everybody together, and it was really more like therapy in the beginning, convincing each other and reassuring each other that we could actually undertake this. 然后我们开始了早期的团队会议, 并且把所有人聚起来, 开始的时候更像是治疗, 得相互说服、保证对方说我们确实能承担这些。
therapy:n.治疗,疗法; convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词) reassuring:adj.安心的;可靠的;鼓气的;v.使放心(reassure的现在分词); undertake:v.承担;从事;负责;承诺;
We had to hold up an hour of a movie with a character. 我们得支撑一部单人物持续一小时的电影
And it's not a special effects film; it has to be a man. 而且他并不是一部特效电影;中间得有一个人。
special effects:特效;
We really felt like we were in a -- kind of a 12-step program. 我们觉得自己就好像是在---某种戒瘾过程中。
And of course, the first step is: admit you've got a problem. 当然,第一步是:承认自己有一个问题。
So we had a big problem. 我们有一个大问题。
We didn't know how we were going to do this. 我们不知道我们该怎样去做。
But we did know one thing. 但我们知道一件事。
Being from the visual effects industry, we, with David, believed that we now had enough time, enough resources, and, God, we hoped we had enough money. 在视觉特效工业里, 我们,连同大卫,相信我们现在有足够的时间, 足够的资源,然后,天哪,我们希望我们有足够的钱。
And we had enough passion to will the processes and technology into existence. 并且我们有足够的激情去用意志趋势工序与技术变成实际。
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; processes:n.过程; v.处理(process的第三人称单数形式);
So, when you're faced with something like that, of course you've got to break it down. 所以,当你面对一些这样的事情时, 当然你会把它分块儿。
You take the big problem and you break it down into smaller pieces and you start to attack that. 你取一个大问题然后把它分成几个小问题 然后开始攻破。
So we had three main areas that we had to focus on. 我们有三个主要的需要专注的地方。
We needed to make Brad look a lot older. 我们需要让布拉德看上去老许多。
We needed to age him 45 years or so. 我们需要他差不多45岁的样子。
And we also needed to make sure that we could take Brad's idiosyncrasies , his little tics, the little subtleties that make him who he is and have that translate through our process so that it appears in Benjamin on the screen. 我们也需要确保我们可以抓住布拉德的特殊癖好行为, 他的小抽搐,那些能体现他的细微之处 并将它们转移到我们的处理过程中 使得它出现在银幕上的本杰明中。
idiosyncrasies:个性,[心理]特异品质; subtleties:n.微妙;阴险;敏锐(subtlety的复数); translate:v.翻译;被翻译;被译成;(使)转变;
And we also needed to create a character that could hold up under, really, all conditions. 我们还需要创造一个角色 他可以支撑起所有情况。
He needed to be able to walk in broad daylight , at nighttime , under candlelight , he had to hold an extreme close-up, he had to deliver dialogue, he had to be able to run, he had to be able to sweat, he had to be able to take a bath, to cry, he even had to throw up. 他得能够行走在大白天, 晚上,烛光中, 他得能够撑住大特写镜头, 他得能够传递对话, 他得会跑,出汗, 他还得会洗澡,哭泣, 他甚至得会呕吐。
in broad daylight:在大白天;光天化日;在光天化日之下;公开地; nighttime:n.夜间;adj.夜间的;夜里发生的; candlelight:n.烛光;黄昏; extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物;
Not all at the same time . 当然不是同时做这些事情。
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
But he had to, you know, do all of those things. 但是他得会,你知道,做所有这些事情。
And the work had to hold up for almost the first hour of the movie. 并且这些工作得支撑电影的差不多前一个小时。
We did about 325 shots. 我们拍摄了325个镜头
So we needed a system that would allow Benjamin to do everything a human being can do. 因此我们需要一个系统能够让本杰明 去做任何人可以做的事情。
And we realized that there was a giant chasm between the state of the art of technology in 2004 and where we needed it to be. 我们意识到一个大分歧 出现在2004年的技术艺术水平 和我们的愿望之间。
giant:n.巨人;伟人;巨兽;adj.巨大的;特大的 chasm:n.峡谷;裂口;分歧;深坑; state of the art:adj.最先进的;已经发展的;达到最高水准的;
So we focused on motion capture . 因此我们集中在运动捕捉。
motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; capture:v.俘虏;捕获;攻占;夺得;刻画,描述;n.(被)捕获;(被)俘获
I'm sure many of you have seen motion capture. 我相信你们中许多人已经看过运动捕捉了。
The state of the art at the time was something called marker-based motion capture. 当时的工艺水平 叫做基于标记的动作捕捉。
I'll give you an example here. 这里我给你们举一个例子。
It's basically the idea of, you wear a leotard , and they put some reflective markers on your body, and instead of using cameras, there's infrared sensors around a volume , 想法基本上就是,你穿一个连衣裤, 然后安放一些反光标志 用来替换摄像机的, 是围绕在一个空间内的红外感应传感器
leotard:n.紧身连衣裤(杂技和舞蹈演员等穿的); reflective:adj.反射的;反映的;沉思的; markers:n.(表示方位的)标记,记号;标识;表示;记号笔;(marker的复数) infrared:n.红外线;adj.红外线的; sensors:n.[自]传感器,感应器;感测器(sensor的复数); volume:n.体积;容积;音量;响度;一册;合订本
and those infrared sensors track the three-dimensional position of those markers in real time . 那些红外传感器实时地跟踪 那些标记的空间位置
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪; three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
And then animators can take the data of the motion of those markers and apply them to a computer-generated character. 然后动画师收集这些数据 并应用到计算机生成的人物中。
animators:n.动画家;赋予生气者(animator的复数); apply:v.申请;涂,敷;应用;适用;请求;
You can see the computer characters on the right are having the same complex motion as the dancers. 你可以看到右边的计算机人物 正做着着同舞蹈者相同的复杂运动。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
But we also looked at numbers of other films at the time that were using facial marker tracking , and that's the idea of putting markers on the human face and doing the same process. 与此同时我们也关注其他的 运用脸部捕捉技术的电影 将标志放在脸部 进行同样的处理
facial:adj.面部的,表面的;脸的,面部用的;n.美容,美颜;脸部按摩; tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词)
And as you can see , it gives you a pretty crappy performance . 正如你所看到的,这种技术所生成的画面相当糟糕
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; crappy:adj.蹩脚的;糟糕的;没价值的; performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
That's not terribly compelling . 这并不十分引人注目。
compelling:adj.引人入胜的; v.强迫; (compel的现在分词)
And what we realized was that what we needed was the information that was going on between the markers. 我们意识到 我们所需要的 是那些在这些标志点之间的信息
We needed the subtleties of the skin. 我们需要皮肤的细节
We needed to see skin moving over muscle moving over bone. 我们需要透过皮肤看到肌肉和骨骼的运动
muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出;
We needed creases and dimples and wrinkles and all of those things. 我们需要皱纹,酒窝之类的
creases:n.[服装]皱纹; v.使起折痕; dimples:n.酒窝; v.现出酒窝; wrinkles:n.皱纹;皱痕;v.起皱纹;皱起;(使)起皱褶;(wrinkle的第三人称单数和复数)
Our first revelation was to completely abort and walk away from the technology of the day, the status quo , the state of the art. 我们第一件要做的事就是抛弃现今所用的技术 这一天的技术,现状,最先进的。
revelation:n.披露; adj.暴露的; abort:v.中止;流产;放弃;堕胎;n.流产;放弃;(比喻)未做好的打算;未成形的计划; status quo:n.现状;原来的状况;
So we aborted using motion capture. 所以我们放弃了动作捕捉
aborted:adj.流产的;夭折的;v.(使)流产;(使)夭折(abort的过去式及过去分词形式);
And we were now well out of our comfort zone , and in uncharted territory . 我们离开了我们所熟悉的领域 进入了从未涉及过的新领域
comfort zone:n.舒适区;最佳状态; uncharted:adj.未知的;图上未标明的; territory:n.领土,领域;范围;地域;版图;
So we were left with this idea that we ended up calling "technology stew ." 我们进入了一个技术上的难点 我们结束了通话“技术炖。”
stew:v.炖,炖汤;焖;忧虑;受闷热;n.炖,炖汤;烦恼;闷热;鱼塘;
We started to look out in other fields and the idea was that we were going to find nuggets or gems of technology that come from other industries like medical imaging , the video game space, and re-appropriate them. 我们开始在其他领域需求帮助 我们相信我们会找到我们所需要的技术 金块或技术宝石 这项技术可能是从其他领域, 例如医药 或是家庭游戏机 或是重新调整他们
nuggets:n.丹佛掘金(nugget的复数);金砖; gems:n.[宝]宝石(gem的复数形式); imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式) video game:n.电子游戏;
And we had to create kind of a sauce . 或者我们需要一项全新的技术
sauce:n.酱;调味汁;讨厌的话(或举动);v.给…加滋味;(俚)对…说冒昧话;
And the sauce was code in software that we'd written to allow these disparate pieces of technology to come together and work as one. 这项技术可以编写成一个软件 允许我们将这些零散的信息组合在一起 走到一起,齐心协力。
disparate:adj.不同的;不相干的;全异的;n.无法相比的东西;
Initially , we came across some remarkable research done by a gentleman named Dr. Paul Ekman in the early '70s. 起初,我们遇见一些研究 由Paul在70年代早期得到的
Initially:adv.最初,首先;开头;
He believed that he could, in fact, catalog the human face. 他认为 他可以将人类的面部表情归类 目录中的人脸。
catalog:n.目录册;产品样本;学校便览;一览表;v.(为…)编目录;(把…)按目录分类;
And he came up with this idea of Facial Action Coding System. 他设计了面部动作编码系统
Coding:n.译码;v.把…编码;(code的现在分词)
He believed that there were 70 basic poses or shapes of the human face and that from those basic poses or shapes of the face, they can be combined to create infinite possibilities of everything the human face is capable of doing. 他认为有10个基本的面部表情 人类面对或形状 借由这些动作去构成无数种可能 它们可以结合起来,创造无限的可能性 一切人类面对的就是这样做的能力。
poses:姿势; infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
And of course, these transcend age, race, culture, gender . 这些全部不受年龄 种族 文化 性别的限制
transcend:v.超出,超越(通常的界限); gender:n.性别;
So this became the foundation of our research as we went forward. 这成为我们继续的基石
foundation:n.基础;地基;基金会;根据;创立;
And then we came across some remarkable technology called Contour . 即接着我们遇到了一些卓越的科技 被称作Contour
Contour:n.轮廓;等高线;周线;电路;概要;v.画轮廓;画等高线;
And here you can see a subject having phosphorus makeup stippled on her face. 你可以看到这个人的面部 具有磷 标记 点刻在她的脸上。
phosphorus:n.磷; stippled:v.点画;点描(stipple的过去式);adj.上面有点画的;点刻过的;
And now what we're looking at is really creating a surface capture as opposed to a marker capture. 我们现在说看到的是一个真实面部捕捉 而不是那种标记捕捉
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式)
The subject stands in front of a computer array of cameras, and those cameras can, frame-by-frame , reconstruct geometry of exactly what the subject's doing at the moment. 它站于一组由电脑驱动的相机阵列前 这些相机将会准确的描绘出物体的运动 重建几何正是这一主题的目前做的事情。
array:n.数组,阵列;排列,列阵;大批,一系列;衣服;v.排列,部署;打扮; frame-by-frame:逐个画面的; reconstruct:vt.重建;改造;修复;重现; geometry:n.几何学;几何结构;
So, effectively, you get 3D data in real time of the subject. 我们可一有效的获得物体在3D空间的运动数据
And if you look in a comparison , on the left, we see what volumetric data gives us and on the right you see what markers give us. 对比下这两种技术 在左侧,我们看到的数据给了我们什么容积 并在右边你看到什么标记给我们。
comparison:n.比较;对比;相比; volumetric:adj.[物]体积的;[物]容积的;[物]测定体积的;
So, clearly, we were in a substantially better place for this. 显而易见,这种技术是多么优越了
substantially:adv.实质上;大体上;充分地;
But these were the early days of this technology, and it wasn't really proven yet. 但是这还只是这项技术的雏形, 还没有被完全证实。
early days:初期;为时尚早;前期;
But we measure complexity and fidelity of data in terms of polygonal count. 但是,我们可以对比多边形定点个数做个比较。 在多边形数计算。
complexity:n.复杂性;难以理解的局势 fidelity:n.保真度;忠诚;精确;尽责; polygonal:adj.[数]多边形的;[数]多角形的;
And so, on the left, we were seeing 100,000 polygons . 左侧的是100,000个顶点
polygons:n.[数]多边形;多边性(polygon的复数形式);
We could go up into the millions of polygons. 右边这个却已经打到了上亿个顶点
It seemed to be infinite. 或者可以认为是无限个
This was when we had our "a ha!" 这令我们豁然开朗
This was the breakthrough. 这是我们这个项目的一个中重大突破啊
This is when we're like, "OK, we're going to be OK, 这令我们有一种我们可以完成这部电影的信心了
This is actually going to work." 这一定会成功的
And the "a ha!" was, what if we could take Brad Pitt, and we could put Brad in this device , and use this Contour process, and we could stipple on this phosphorescent makeup and put him under the black lights, and we could, in fact, scan him in real time performing Ekman's FACS poses. 和“一哈!”是,如果我们可以采取布拉德皮特, 我们可以把布拉德本装置, 并利用这一轮廓的过程中, 我们可以在这个点画磷光化妆 并把他下黑灯, 我们可以,事实上,他在实时扫描 表演埃克曼的流式细胞仪构成。
device:n.装置;策略;图案; phosphorescent:adj.[昆]发出磷光的;磷光性的; performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词)
Right? So, effectively, we ended up with a 3D database of everything Brad Pitt's face is capable of doing. 看 非常有效 我们最终完成了一个3D数据库 包含了所有Brad Pitt 的所有表情
(Laughter) 大笑
From there, we actually carved up those faces into smaller pieces and components of his face. 这里, 我们实际上是分割了这些面部表情 分解为许多组成部分
carved:v.雕刻;刻;把(熟肉)切成块;(carve的过去分词和过去式) components:n.部件;组件;成份(component复数);
So we ended up with literally thousands and thousands and thousands of shapes. 我们获得了上千种形状
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
A complete database of all possibilities that his face is capable of doing. 一个他面部所能做到的各种表情的数据库 他面对的就是这样做的能力。
Now, that's great, except we had him at age 44. 这一切看起来都很不错, 不过这是他44岁的模样
We need to put another 40 years on him at this point. 我们需要将这个年龄加上40岁
We brought in Rick Baker , and Rick is one of the great makeup and special effects gurus of our industry. 我们于是请来了Rick Baker, 他是一名强力的化妆和特效天才,在电影行业中。 我们的工业。
Baker:n.面包(糕饼)师傅;面包店老板; gurus:n.古鲁(指印度教等宗教的宗师或领袖);领袖;专家;
And we also brought in a gentleman named Kazu Tsuji, and Kazu Tsuji is one of the great photoreal sculptors of our time. 我们还有Kazu suji Kazu 是一名非常好的动态光影建模师
sculptors:n.雕刻家;
And we commissioned them to make a maquette, or a bust , of Benjamin. 我们的人任务就是做一个模型 或是 毁了他 本杰明
bust:n.(石或金属的)半身像; v.打破; adj.破碎;
So, in the spirit of "The Great Unveiling " -- I had to do this -- 因此,在“大揭幕精神” - 我不得不这样做
Unveiling:n.揭幕;计划公布;v.为…揭幕;(首次)展示,介绍;(unveil的现在分词)
I had to unveil something. 我已经推出的东西。
So this is Ben 80. 这是ben 80岁的样子
We created three of these: 我们做了三个模型
There's Ben 80, there's Ben 70, there's Ben 60. 分别是本 80 70 60
And this really became the template of moving forward. 这是我们继续的模板
template:n.模板,样板;
Now, this was made from a life cast of Brad. 现在,这是从一个生命铸造的布拉德。
So, in fact, anatomically , it is correct. 因此,事实上,在解剖学上,这是正确的。
anatomically:adv.结构上;解剖学上;
The eyes, the jaw, the teeth ... 的眼睛,下巴,牙齿...
everything is in perfect alignment with what the real guy has. 一切都是在完美的路线是什么真正的家伙。
alignment:n.队列,成直线;校准;结盟;
We have these maquettes scanned into the computer at very high resolution . 我们这些maquettes扫描进电脑 在非常高的分辨率。
maquettes:n.初步设计的模型;设计草图; resolution:n.解决;分辨;解析;决议;
Enormous polygonal count. 巨大的多边形数。
Enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
And so now we had three age increments of Benjamin in the computer. 所以现在我们有三个年龄递增本杰明 在计算机中。
But we needed to get a database of him doing more than that. 但是,我们必须找到他的数据库做不止于此。
We went through this process, then, called retargeting . 我们经历了这一过程,那么,所谓的重新定向。
retargeting:v.重新定位目标;把…作为新目标(retarget的ing形式);
This is Brad doing one of the Ekman FACS poses. 这是布拉德埃克曼流式细胞仪做的一个姿势。
And here's the resulting data that comes from that, the model that comes from that. 这里的结果数据来自该来了, 该模型从该来。
and retargeting is the process of transposing that data onto another model. 和重定目标的过程是数据的移调 到另一个模型。
transposing:n.更换;置换;v.改换;变调演奏(transpose的ing形式);
And because the life cast, or the bust -- the maquette -- of Benjamin was made from Brad, we could transpose the data of Brad at 44 onto Brad at 87. 而且因为生活投,或胸部 - 在maquette - 本雅明 是从布拉德, 我们可以在44转布拉德数据 在87到布拉德。
transpose:vt.调换;移项;颠倒顺序;vi.进行变换;n.转置阵;
So now, we had a 3D database of everything Brad Pitt's face can do at age 87, in his 70s and in his 60s. 所以,现在,我们有一个三维数据库的一切布拉德皮特的脸可以做 87岁的他70多岁,在他60岁。
Next we had to go into the shooting process. 下一步,我们已进入了拍摄过程。
So while all that's going on, we're down in New Orleans and locations around the world. 因此,尽管所有这回事, 我们下来在新奥尔良和世界各地的位置。
Orleans:n.奥尔良(法国城市); locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数)
And we shot our body actors, and we shot them wearing blue hoods . 我们的身体,我们拍摄的演员, 我们向他们拍摄身穿蓝色头巾。
hoods:兜帽;
So this is the gentleman playing Benjamin. 因此,这是绅士玩本杰明。
And the blue hoods helped us with two things: one, we could easily erase their heads; and we also put tracking markers on their heads so we could recreate the camera motion and the lens optics from the set. 和蓝盖帮我们两件事情: 1,我们可以很容易抹掉他们的头上; 我们也把他们的头标记跟踪 这样我们就可以重新相机的动作 从镜头的光学设置。
erase:vt.抹去;擦除;vi.被擦去,被抹掉; recreate:vt.再现;再创造 lens:n.透镜,镜头;晶状体;隐形眼镜;汽车的灯玻璃;v.给…摄影; optics:n.[光]光学;
But now we needed to get Brad's performance to drive our virtual Benjamin. 但现在我们需要得到布拉德的表现,以推动我们的虚拟本杰明。
virtual:adj.[计]虚拟的;实质上的,事实上的(但未在名义上或正式获承认);
And so we edited the footage that was shot on location with the rest of the cast and the body actors and about six months later we brought Brad onto a sound stage in Los Angeles and he watched on the screen and his job then was to become Benjamin. 因此,我们编辑了这是拍摄画面上的位置 与其他演员和演员的身体 约6个月后 我们带来了布拉德到一个在洛杉矶的声场 他看着屏幕上 当时他的工作成为本杰明。
edited:v.编辑,校订;编选;编集;(edit的过去分词和过去式) footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度; sound stage:n.录音场;
And so we looped the scenes. 因此,我们循环的场景。
looped:adj.成圈的;酩酊大醉的;v.成圈;打环(loop的过去式和过去分词);
He watched again and again . 他一遍又一遍。
again and again:adv.再三地,反复地;
We encouraged him to improvise . 我们鼓励他即兴。
improvise:v.即兴创作;临时拼凑;临时做;
And he took Benjamin into interesting and unusual places that we didn't think he was going to go. 他带成有趣和不寻常的地方本杰明 我们不认为他会去。
We shot him with four HD cameras so we'd get multiple views of him and then David would choose the take of Brad being Benjamin that he thought best matched the footage with the rest of the cast. 我们打到了他与4高清摄像机 所以我们会得到他的多个视图 然后戴维会选择利用被本杰明布拉德 他认为最匹配的镜头 同其他演员。
multiple:adj.数量多的;多种多样的;n.倍数;
From there we went into a process called image analysis . 从那里我们去到一个名为图像分析过程。
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定;
And so here, you can see again, the chosen take. 所以在这里,你可以再次看到,所选择的需要。
And we are seeing, now, that data being transposed on to Ben 87. 我们看到,现在,该数据被调换到本87。
transposed:v.调换;颠倒顺序;移项(transpore的过去分词);adj.移调的;变调的;
And so, what's interesting about this is we used something called image analysis, which is taking timings from different components of Benjamin's face. 因此,有趣的是这 我们使用一种叫做图像分析, 它正在从本雅明的脸不同部分的时间安排。
timings:n.时间控制;时间安排;[计量]计时(timing的复数);
And so we could choose, say, his left eyebrow . 所以我们可以选择,例如,他的左眼眉。
eyebrow:n.眉;眉毛;
And the software would tell us that, well, in frame 14 the left eyebrow begins to move from here to here, and it concludes moving in frame 32. 而且,软件会告诉我们,好, 在14帧的左眼眉开始从这里到这里, 并得出结论朝框架32。
concludes:v.结束; (conclude的第三人称单数)
And so we could choose numbers of positions on the face to pull that data from. 因此,我们可以选择的职位数量在脸上 拉从数据。
And then, the sauce I talked about with our technology stew, that secret sauce was, effectively, software that allowed us to match the performance footage of Brad in live action with our database of aged Benjamin, the FACS shapes that we had. 然后,我谈酱油与我们的技术炖, 这是秘密酱油,有效,使我们的软件 布拉德性能相匹配的镜头 与我们的老年生活本杰明数据库的行动, 流式细胞仪的形状,我们有。
live action:n.实景;
On a frame by frame basis, we could actually reconstruct a 3D head that exactly matched the performance of Brad. 上一帧一帧的基础上, 其实,我们可以重建一个三维头部 这正好符合了布拉德的表现。
So this was how the finished shot appeared in the film. 因此,这是如何拍摄完成的影片中出现。
And here you can see the body actor. 在这里你可以看到演员的身体。
And then this is what we called the "dead head," no reference to Jerry Garcia . 然后,这就是我们所谓的“死头”,不向杰里加西亚参考。
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用; Garcia:n.加西亚;
And then here's the reconstruted performance now with the timings of the performance. 然后这里的改造企业绩效 现在的表现计时。
And then, again, the final shot. 然后,再次,最后一幕。
It was a long process. 这是一个漫长的过程。
(Applause) (鼓掌)
The next section here, I'm going to just blast through this, because we could do a whole TEDTalk on the next several slides. 下一节在这里,我要通过这个刚刚爆炸, 因为我们可以做多张幻灯片的下一个整体TEDTalk。
blast:n.爆炸; v.爆破;
We had to create a lighting system. 我们必须创造一个照明系统。
So really, a big part of our processes were creating a lighting environment for every single location that Benjamin had to appear so that we could put Ben's head into any scene 因此,其实我们的很大一部分是在创造过程中的照明环境 对于每一个位置,本杰明已经出现 这样我们可以把任何场景本的头
and it would exactly match the lighting that's on the other actors in the real world. 它会完全匹配的照明,关于其他方面的 在现实世界中。
We also had to create an eye system. 我们还必须建立一个眼系统。
We found the old adage , you know, "The eyes are the window to the soul," 我们发现旧的格言,你知道, “眼睛是灵魂之,窗口”
adage:n.格言,谚语;箴言;
absolutely true. 千真万确。
So the key here was to keep everybody looking in Ben's eyes. 因此,这里的关键是保持大家在Ben的眼睛。
And if you could feel the warmth, and feel the humanity , and feel his intent coming through the eyes, then we would succeed. 如果你能感受到温暖,感受到人类, 他的意图和感受来通过眼睛, 然后我们会成功。
humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科; intent:n.意图;目的;含义;adj.专心的;急切的;坚决的;
So we had one person focused on the eye system for almost two full years. 因此,我们有一个人对眼睛的聚焦系统 几乎整整两年。
We also had to create a mouth system. 我们还必须创建一个口系统。
We worked from dental molds of Brad. 我们还必须创建一个口系统。
dental:n.牙医;[语]齿音;;adj.牙齿的;牙科的;齿音的; molds:n.[机]模具;霉菌;鞋模(mold的复数);
We had to age the teeth over time. 我们必须随着时间的推移年龄的牙齿。
We also had to create an articulating tongue that allowed him to enunciate his words. 我们还必须创造一个阐明舌头,让他阐述他的话。
articulating:v.清晰地发(音); adj.发音清晰的; enunciate:vt.发音;阐明;宣布;vi.阐明;清晰地发音;
There was a whole system written in software to articulate the tongue. 整个系统有一个软件书面阐明了舌头。
articulate:vt.清晰地发(音); vi.发音; adj.发音清晰的;
We had one person devoted to the tongue for about nine months. 我们有一个人专门为约9个月的舌头。
devoted:adj.专心致志; v.献身; (devote的过去分词和过去式)
He was very popular. 他很受欢迎。
Skin displacement : another big deal. 皮肤位移:另一个大问题。
displacement:n.取代,位移;[船]排水量;
The skin had to be absolutely accurate , and he's also in an old-age home, he's in a nursing home around other old people, so he had to look exactly the same as the others. 皮肤必须绝对准确, 而且他也有一老年之家,他在一家养老院 周围的其他老人, 所以他看的人完全一样。
accurate:adj.精确的; old-age:adj.老年的; nursing home:养老院;
So, lots of work on skin deformation , you can see in some of these cases it works, in some cases it looks bad, this is a very, very, very early test in our process. 因此,大量的工作,对皮肤变形, 你可以看到在这些情况下,一些作品, 在某些情况下,它看起来不错, 这是一个非常,非常,很早就在我们的测试过程。
deformation:n.变形;
So, effectively we created a digital puppet that Brad Pitt could operate with his own face. 所以,我们创建了一个有效的数字傀儡 可经营的布拉德皮特与他自己的脸。
puppet:n.木偶;傀儡;
There were no animators necessary to come in and interpret behavior or enhance his performance. 有没有必要来在动画和解释行为 或加强他的表现。
interpret:v.诠释;说明;口译;把…理解为; enhance:v.提高;增强;增进;
There was something that we encountered , though, that we ended up calling "the digital Botox effect." 有些东西,我们遇到的,虽然, 这要求我们结束了“数字肉毒杆菌的效果。”
encountered:v.遭遇,遇到;偶然碰到;意外地遇见;(encounter的过去分词和过去式) Botox:n.肉毒杆菌;肉毒杆菌毒素;肉毒杆菌毒素制剂;波托克斯;
So, as things went through this process, 因此,在这个过程中经历的事情,
Fincher would always say "It sandblasts the edges off of the performance." 芬奇总是说:“这sandblasts边关闭的表现。”
And one thing our process and the technology couldn't do is it couldn't understand intent, the intent of the actor. 其中一件我们的工艺和技术不能做 它是无法理解的意图, 该演员意图。
So it sees a smile as a smile. 因此,它认为,作为一个微笑的微笑。
It doesn't recognize an ironic smile, or a happy smile, or a frustrated smile. 它不承认一个具有讽刺意味的微笑,或者一个幸福的微笑, 或沮丧的笑容。
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; ironic:adj.讽刺的;反话的; frustrated:adj.失意的,挫败的;泄气的;v.挫败;阻挠;(frustrate的过去式和过去分词)
So it did take humans to kind of push it one way or another. 因此,它确实需要人类推到一个或另一种方式。
But we ended up calling the entire process and all the technology " emotion capture," 但我们最终调用的全过程 和所有的技术“情感捕捉”
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;
as opposed to just motion capture. 而不仅仅是动作捕捉。
Take another look. 再来看看。
Brad Pitt: Well, I heard momma and Tizzy whisper, and they said I was gonna die soon, but ... maybe not. 布拉德皮特:嗯,我听到妈妈和如痴如醉的耳语, 他们说我是将要死去不久, 但是...也许不会。
Ed Ulbrich: That's how to create a digital human in 18 minutes. 埃德尔布里奇:这是如何创建一个数字人体在18分钟。
(Applause) (掌声)
A couple of quick factoids . 一个快速改编过的夫妇。
factoids:n.仿真陈述(仅因出现在出版物上而被信以为真);adj.虚构的;似是而非的;
It really took 155 people over two years, and we didn't even talk about 60 hairstyles and an all-digital haircut. 他花费了155人超过两年的时间, 我们甚至没有谈到60发型和全数字理发。
hairstyles:n.发型;发式;(hairstyle的复数)
But, that is Benjamin. Thank you. 但是,这是本杰明。谢谢。