|
|
DrHawaAbdiandDrDeqoMohamed_2010W-_母女英雄医生_
|
Hawa Abdi: Many people -- 20 years for Somalia -- |
Hawa Abdi:索马里这20年来,很多人—— |
[were] fighting. |
一直在打仗。 |
So there was no job, no food. |
所以那里没有工作,没有食物。 |
Children, most of them, became very malnourished , like this. |
很多的孩子, 都变得像这样,非常的营养不良。 |
malnourished:adj.营养不良的;营养失调的;
|
Deqo Mohamed: So as you know, always in a civil war, the ones affected most [are] the women and children. |
Deqo Mohamed: 所以,你知道, 往往在内战中, 最受影响的是妇女和儿童。 |
civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的;
|
So our patients are women and children. |
所以我们的病人都是妇女和儿童。 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
|
And they are in our backyard . |
他们都在我们的院子里。 |
backyard:n.后院;后庭;
|
It's our home. We welcome them. |
这是我们的家,我们很欢迎他们。 |
That's the camp that we have in now 90,000 people, where 75 percent of them are women and children. |
这就是我们现在拥有的营地。 9万人在里面, 有75%都是妇女和儿童。 |
Pat Mitchell: And this is your hospital. This is the inside. |
Pat Mitchell:这就是你们的医院。这是内部。 |
HA: We are doing C-sections and different operations because people need some help. |
HA:我们在这里进行剖腹产以及其他不同的手术 因为人们需要帮助。 |
C-sections:n.剖腹产;
|
There is no government to protect them. |
政府不会来保护他们。 |
DM: Every morning we have about 400 patients, maybe more or less . |
DM:每天早晨我们就有400个左右的病人, 或者多一点或者少一点。 |
more or less:或多或少;
|
But sometimes we are only five doctors and 16 nurses, and we are physically getting exhausted to see all of them. |
但有时我们只有5名医生 和16个护士, 要把他们全部都看完,这真的让我们感到筋疲力尽。 |
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
|
But we take the severe ones, and we reschedule the other ones the next day. |
所以我们先看那些严重的病人, 然后再重新安排其他病人到第二天。 |
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; reschedule:v.将…改期;重新安排;推迟还款;
|
It is very tough. |
这非常的艰难。 |
And as you can see , it's the women who are carrying the children; it's the women who come into the hospitals; it's the women [are] building the houses. |
你可以看到,是妇女带着孩子, 是妇女来到医院, 是妇女搭建的这些房子。 |
as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
That's their house. |
这是她们的家。 |
And we have a school. This is our bright -- we opened [in the] last two years [an] elementary school where we have 850 children, and the majority are women and girls. |
我们还有一个学校。这是我们的光明—— 前年我们开办了一个小学 我们有850个孩子, 其中大部分都是妇女和女孩儿。 |
elementary school:小学; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
PM: And the doctors have some very big rules about who can get treated at the clinic . |
PM:医生们有一些非常严格的规定 关于谁可以在诊所接受治疗。 |
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式) clinic:n.诊所;临床实习;(医院的)门诊部;门诊时间;
|
Would you explain the rules for admission ? |
你可以解释一下进入诊所的规定吗? |
admission:n.入场费;进入权;招供;门票费;
|
HA: The people who are coming to us, we are welcoming. |
HA:来找我们的人, 我们都欢迎。 |
We are sharing with them whatever we have. |
我们和他们分享 我们拥有的一切。 |
But there are only two rules. |
但是只有两个规定。 |
First rule: there is no clan distinguished and political division in Somali society. |
第一: 在索马里社会没有种族歧视 和政治分裂。 |
clan:n.家族;庞大的家族;宗派;帮派; distinguished:adj.尊贵的; v.区分; division:n.师;分配;分开;分歧;
|
[Whomever] makes those things we throw out . |
谁要是搞这些东西,就把他轰出去。 |
throw out:v.扔掉;伸出;说出;否决;突出;
|
The second: no man can beat his wife. |
第二: 男人不允许打他的妻子。 |
If he beat, we will put [him] in jail , and we will call the eldest people. |
如果他打了, 我们会把他扔进监狱, 而且我们会告诉我们的最年长者。 |
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; eldest:adj.最年长的;年事最高的(old的最高级);n.最年长者;
|
Until they identify this case, we'll never release him. |
除非他们受理这案情, 否则我们不会放了他。 |
identify:v.识别:鉴定:确认:发现: release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
|
That's our two rules. |
这是我们的两个规定。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
The other thing that I have realized, that the woman is the most strong person all over the world. |
我还明白了一件事情, 女人是世界上 最强的人。 |
Because the last 20 years, the Somali woman has stood up. |
在过去的20年里, 索马里的女人站了起来。 |
They were the leaders, and we are the leaders of our community and the hope of our future generations. |
她们是领导者, 而且我们是我们 社区的领导者 而且是我们下一代的希望。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
|
We are not just the helpless and the victims of the civil war. |
我们不是弱者 也不是内战的受害者。 |
helpless:adj.无助的;无能的;没用的;
|
We can reconcile . |
我们可以调和内战。 |
reconcile:v.使和谐一致;调和;使配合;使和解;妥协;
|
We can do everything. |
我们可以做一切事情。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
DM: As my mother said, we are the future hope, and the men are only killing in Somalia. |
DM:正如我妈妈说的,我们是未来的希望, 在索马里男人只会互相残杀。 |
So we came up with these two rules. |
所以我们在9万人的营中 |
In a camp with 90,000 people, you have to come up with some rules or there is going to be some fights. |
定了这两条规定。 你得制定一些规定,不然就会有争斗。 |
come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
|
So there is no clan division, and no man can beat his wife. |
所以那里没有种族分裂 而且男人不允许打妻子。 |
And we have a little storage room where we converted a jail. |
并且我们有一个小储物间 我们把它改造成了监狱。 |
storage room:[建]储藏室;行李仓,库房; converted:adj.修改的;改变信仰的;v.转变;改变信仰(convert的过去式和过去分词形式);
|
So if you beat your wife, you're going to be there. |
如果你打了你的妻子,你就会被关在那里。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
So empowering the women and giving the opportunity -- we are there for them. They are not alone for this. |
所以赋予妇女权利,给她们机会 -- 我们在那里帮助她们; 她们并不是独自承受这些。 |
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词)
|
PM: You're running a medical clinic. |
PM: 你们开了一家诊所, |
It brought much, much needed medical care to people who wouldn't get it. |
给那些需要帮助的人们 带去了很多的医疗护理。 |
You're also running a civil society. |
你们同时创办了一个民间社会 |
You've created your own rules, in which women and children are getting a different sense of security. |
并建立了自己的规定, 在那里妇女和儿童都 获得了不一样的安全感。 |
Talk to me about your decision, Dr. Abdi, and your decision, Dr. Mohamed, to work together -- for you to become a doctor and to work with your mother in these circumstances . |
跟我讲讲关于你的决定,Abdi医生 还有你的决定,穆罕默德医生 让你们在一起工作 -- 使你(穆罕默德)成为一名医生 并在这样的环境下和你的母亲一起工作。 |
circumstances:n.情况;环境;情形;(circumstance的复数)
|
HA: My age -- because I was born in 1947 -- we were having, at that time, government, law and order. |
HA: 我的年龄—— 因为我出生在1947年—— 那时候我们还有 政府,法律和纪律。 |
But one day, I went to the hospital -- my mother was sick -- and I saw the hospital, how they [were] treating the doctors, how they [are] committed to help the sick people. |
但有一天,我去了医院—— 我的母亲病了—— 我在医院里看到,医生是怎样去治疗的, 他们是怎样医治 去帮助那些病人的。 |
treating:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;处理;讨论;(treat的现在分词) committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式)
|
I admired them, and I decided to become a doctor. |
我很敬佩他们, 于是我决定成为一名医生。 |
My mother died, unfortunately , when I was 12 years [old]. |
不幸的是,当我12岁的时候, 我的母亲去世了。 |
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
|
Then my father allowed me to proceed [with] my hope. |
于是我的父亲答应了我 去追寻我的梦想。 |
proceed:n.收入;卖得金额;收益;v.继续;接着做;行进;前往;
|
My mother died in [a] gynecology complication , so I decided to become a gynecology specialist. |
我的母亲是死于 妇科并发症, 所以我决定成为一名 妇科病的专家。 |
gynecology:n.妇科学,妇科医学; complication:n.并发症;复杂;复杂化;混乱;
|
That's why I became a doctor. |
这便是为什么我成为了一名医生。 |
So Dr. Deqo has to explain. |
Deqo(穆罕默德)医生也要解释一下。 |
DM: For me, my mother was preparing [me] when I was a child to become a doctor, but I really didn't want to. |
DM: 而我呢,我的母亲在我小时候就打算 把我培养成一名医生,但是我真的不喜欢。 |
Maybe I should become an historian, or maybe a reporter. |
也许我应该成为一名历史学家 或者一名记者。 |
I loved it, but it didn't work. |
我非常喜欢,但是这样是不行的。 |
When the war broke out -- civil war -- |
当内战爆发的时候, |
I saw how my mother was helping and how she really needed the help, and how the care is essential to the woman to be a woman doctor in Somalia and help the women and children. |
我看到我母亲是如何工作的 也看到她真的是非常的需要帮助。 对于妇女来说医保是那样的重要, 在索马里成为一名女医生 并帮助那里的妇女和儿童。 |
essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的;
|
And I thought, maybe I can be a reporter and doctor gynecologist . |
然后我想也许我可以成为一个妇科医生兼记者。 |
gynecologist:n.妇科医生;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So I went to Russia, and my mother also, |
于是我和我的母亲在苏联时期 |
[during the] time of [the] Soviet Union. |
去了俄国。 |
Soviet:adj.苏维埃的;苏联的;n.苏维埃(前苏联的各级代表会议);苏联人;
|
So some of our character, maybe we will come with a strong Soviet background of training. |
所以我们的一些性格 可能会带有一些强烈的苏联训练的感觉。 |
So that's how I decided [to do] the same. |
这就是我如何做了这同样的决定。 |
My sister was different. |
我的妹妹不太一样, |
She's here. She's also a doctor. |
她也在这里,她也是一名医生。 |
She graduated in Russia also. |
她也是在苏联毕业。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
And to go back and to work with our mother is just what we saw in the civil war -- when I was 16, and my sister was 11, when the civil war broke out. |
后来回来和我们的母亲一起工作 我们正好恰逢内战 -- 当内战爆发时 我16岁,而我妹妹只有11岁。 |
So it was the need and the people we saw in the early '90s -- that's what made us go back and work for them. |
在90年代初期 我们看到了需要,看到了的那些人, 使我们回来 去帮助他们。 |
PM: So what is the biggest challenge working, mother and daughter, in such dangerous and sometimes scary situations? |
PM: 那么母女在一起 在如此危险 甚至有时让人毛骨耸然的环境下工作, 最大的挑战是什么? |
HA: Yes, I was working in a tough situation, very dangerous. |
HA: 是的,我在一个非常艰苦的环境中工作, 非常的危险。 |
And when I saw the people who needed me, |
当我看到需要我的人的时候, |
I was staying with them to help, because I [could] do something for them. |
我留下来帮助他们, 因为我可以为他们做一些事情。 |
Most people fled abroad . |
很多人飞到了国外。 |
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式) abroad:adv.在国外;到海外;adj.往国外的;n.海外;异国;
|
But I remained with those people, and I was trying to do something -- |
但是我和这些人留在一起, 我努力地做着一些事-- |
[any] little thing I [could] do. |
一些我可以做到的小事。 |
I succeeded in my place. |
我在我的本职上获得了成功。 |
Now my place is 90,000 people who are respecting each other, who are not fighting. |
现在在我们的地方有9万人, 大家互相尊敬, 没有打斗。 |
But we try to stand on our feet, to do something, little things, we can for our people. |
我们努力靠自己 为大家做一些事,一些力所能及的小事。 |
And I'm thankful for my daughters. |
我非常感谢我的两位女儿, |
When they come to me, they help me to treat the people, to help. |
当她们来到我身边时, 她们帮助我来治疗那些人, 帮忙等。 |
They do everything for them. |
她们什么活儿都做。 |
They have done what I desire to do for them. |
她们完成了我的期望。 |
PM: What's the best part of working with your mother, and the most challenging part for you? |
PM: 和你妈妈在一起工作 最棒的地方是什么? 还有对你来说最有挑战的事情是什么? |
DM: She's very tough; it's most challenging. |
DM: 她太严格,这是最有挑战性的地方。. |
She always expects us to do more. |
她总是希望我们做的更多。 |
And really when you think [you] cannot do it, she will push you, and I can do it. |
当你真的觉得做不来的时候, 她会督促你,然后她去做。 |
That's the best part. |
这是最棒的地方。 |
She shows us, trains us how to do and how to be better [people] |
她教我们怎样做, 怎样成为一个好人, |
and how to do long hours in surgery -- 300 patients per day, 10, 20 surgeries , and still you have to manage the camp -- that's how she trains us. |
如何做长时间的手术—— 一天300个病人, 10到20个手术, 然后还要管理营地, 这就是她如何训练我们的。 |
surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数);
|
It is not like beautiful offices here, 20 patients, you're tired. |
可不像这里的办公室, 就诊20个病人,然后你累了。 |
You see 300 patients, 20 surgeries and 90,000 people to manage. |
我们要看300个病人,做20个手术, 还有9万个人要去管理。 |
PM: But you do it for good reasons. |
PM: 但是你们这样做是如此有意义。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Wait. Wait. |
等一下,等一下 |
HA: Thank you. |
HA: 谢谢 |
DM: Thank you. |
DM: 谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
HA: Thank you very much. DM: Thank you very much. |
HA:非常感谢。(DM:非常感谢。) |