返回首页

DominicPrice_2020X-_你的快乐指数是多少?_-

Hello, my name is Dom Price and I'm a work futurist , which is a made-up job that no one's called me out on yet, but it's got me here on this stage today. 哈啰,我叫唐.普莱斯 我是一个工作未来学家 这其实是我自创的职称 没人这样叫我 但这份工作让我今天 能够站在这个舞台上
My job's all about predicting the future, the future of work, society, the economy and education. 我的工作就是预测未来的发展 像是职场以及社会的未来 或是经济和教育的未来
Which, surely you can imagine this year of all the years, it's been pretty fascinating . 你可以想像 尤其是像今年这种情况 真的是非常有意思
futurist:n.未来主义者;未来派画家;adj.未来主义的; made-up:adj.捏造的;制成的;化妆过的; predicting:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的现在分词) economy:n.经济;节约;理财; fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词)
Now, there's a huge amount of self-help literature out there that will help you be happier over time. 现在市面上有很多关于自救的书籍 能够幫助你渐渐地变快乐
But today, I want to talk to you specifically about being happy in a year like 2020. 但今天我主要想讲的是 在2020年这样的情况下 要怎么样过得快乐
It's a year like no other. 今年是很特殊的一年
It's a year when many of us haven't felt of much happiness or our happy days have been reduced to happy minutes and moments. 是让我们大多数人 无法时常开心的一年 我们原本愉快的日子 只剩下短短几分几秒的小确幸
self-help:n.自助;自救;自立;adj.自助的; literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作; specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
And the uncertainty of the future has quite rightly weighed heavily on our minds. 对未来的不确定性 更加重了我们心理的负担
But to talk to you about a year like 2020, and to talk about how shit it's been, first of all , I have to tell you how shit my year has been. 但在聊2020年 以及这时状况有多差之前 得先提一下这年对我来说有多糟
You see, my sister is my best friend, and a few years ago I got the call that no brother wants to get. 我姊姊是我最好的朋友 几年前我接到一通 任何弟弟都不想要接到的电话
uncertainty:n.不确定,不可靠; rightly:adv.正确地;恰当地;公正地;合适地; first of all:adv.首先;
Trudy had been diagnosed with stage IV breast cancer , and given that she lived a 24-hour flight away in Manchester, England, as a single mother of two boys, 特鲁迪被诊断为乳癌第四期 她住在英国曼彻斯特 要搭24小时飞机才会到 并且是有两个男孩的单亲妈妈
I'm sure you can imagine how I felt. 我相信你可以体会我当时的心情
But she's stubborn as an ox. 但她就跟牛一样固执
And six years later, at the start of 2020, she was still with us. 之后过了六年到了2020年初 那时候她还健在
Then February rolled in. 可是到二月的时候[01:34]
diagnosed:v.诊断(疾病);判断(问题的原因);(diagnose的过去分词和过去式) cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤; stubborn:adj.顽固的;顽强的;难处理的;
I got another call. 我接到另一通电话
This time it was my doctor telling me that I had early-stage bowel cancer. 这次是我的医生来通知 我得到早期的大肠癌
A week later, I had a subtotal colectomy and I had my colon removed. 一周之后我动了次全大肠切除手术 切除了结肠
Strangely , the same day my sister went to see her specialist in the UK, who confirmed that they were ceasing all treatment . 奇怪的是当天我的姊姊 也去找了她在英国的医生 他准备要停止所有的治疗
bowel:n.肠;内部最深处 subtotal:adj.几乎全部的; n.小计; vt.小计; vi.求部分和; colectomy:n.[外科]结肠切除术; colon:n.[解剖]结肠;冒号(用于引语,说明,例证等之前);科郎(哥斯达黎加货币单位); Strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地; ceasing:v.(使)停止,终止,结束;(cease的现在分词) treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
She had a matter of months left to live. 她大概只剩下几个月的时间
Now, post-surgery, 我动完手术以后
I wasn't officially allowed to travel due to COVID travel restrictions , but I managed to get an exemption from the government and I was on one of very few flights out to Manchester in April to look after my sister and her two boys. 因为疫情的关系 其实是不能够旅行的 但我拿到了政府的许可 并搭上了四月少数几班 飞往曼彻斯特的班机 要去照顾我姊姊和她两个儿子
A few weeks later, on Tuesday, May 19, 过了几周之后 在5月19日星期二这天
Trudy collapsed suddenly at home. 特鲁迪突然在家中倒下
Despite trying CPR, she died in my arms before the ambulance arrived. 虽然做了心肺复苏术 她还是在救护车抵达前 在我的怀中过世
She was 45. 她当时45岁[02:26]
restrictions:n.限制规定;限制;约束;制约因素;(restriction的复数) exemption:n.免除,豁免;免税; collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式) Despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; ambulance:n.救护车;
After some very emotional goodbyes to family, the only thing certain in my immediate future was 14 days in quarantine . 在与家人感伤的道别之后 确定会在未来等待我的 只有14天隔离的日子
But before I got on that plane, 但在搭上回程班机之前
I gave my nephews an extra special uncle-Dom hug. 我给了两个外甥特别的唐式拥抱
And in those 14 days in quarantine, you're kind of left alone with your own thoughts. 在这14天的隔离期间 你只能跟自己对话
And it got me thinking, where does our happiness actually come from? 于是我就想 快乐到底是从何而来[02:48]
emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的; quarantine:vt.检疫;隔离;使隔离;n.检疫;隔离;检疫期;封锁;vi.实行隔离; extra:adj.额外的:n.额外的事物:adv.额外:另外:
How can a year this shit make anyone happy? 在这么糟糕的一年中 真的有人会快乐吗?
And the problem with those thoughts is when you've got 14 days, you really do get to invest in them. 问题是当你有14天 不免就会花更多时间去想
And it got me thinking, how can we find our happiness? 于是我就继续思考 要怎么样才能找到快乐?
And as is with death, sometimes, 有时候就像我面对死亡一样
I actually started thinking with renewed clarity about life and work and COVID and all the things that mattered. 我开始用全新的角度去思考人生 还有工作跟新冠病毒 以及其他所有重要的事情
invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予; renewed:adj.再次发生的; v.重新开始; (renew的过去分词和过去式) clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明;
In Bronnie Ware's book "The Top Five Regrets of the Dying," 在布朗妮.维尔的书 《和自己说好,生命里只留下不后悔的选择》中
Bronnie will tell you the second-biggest regret is "I wish I hadn't spent so much time in the office." 布朗妮告诉你 临终让人最后悔的第二件事 就是「希望自己没有 花这么多时间在工作上」
But you don't need me to tell you that. 这件事其实不需要我跟你讲
You know what's important on your deathbed , the love of friends and family, the legacy you're leaving behind, knowing that you've done things that made you happy, knowing that you've done great things. 你临终前就会了解什么事才重要 像是朋友和家人的爱 你所留下来的一切 了解到你做了让自己开心的事情 知道自己曾经做过很多有意义的事
And yet few of us can honestly say this is how we're living our lives today. 但非常少人可以大声说 自己现在就是这样过活的
Take work, for example. 拿工作来说
Work today stems from the Industrial Revolution 300 years ago. 现在的工作模式 起源于300年前的工業革命
deathbed:n.临终之时;临死所卧之床;adj.临终时作的; legacy:n.遗赠,遗产; stems:n.花草的茎或梗; v.阻止; (stem的第三人称单数和复数) Industrial Revolution:n.工业革命;
That's when we were the machines, we were the robots. 当时没有自动化的设备和机器人的幫忙
It was all about presenteeism . 大家都在现场认真工作
We worked on the production line . 因为都是在生产线上
We were measured by speed and efficiency . 速度和效率就是一切
It was about how much work you could get done in one day. 一天能够完成的工作量是最重要的
Let's be honest, it was about making your boss richer. 老实说 就是让你的老板赚更多钱[04:09]
presenteeism:n.超时工作; production line:n.流水作业线;产品线; measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) efficiency:n.效率;效能;功效;
And in that time, we had these measures of success, economic growth and productivity . 那时候成功的指标就是 经济成长和生产力
We're 300 years later, and it's simply not working. 然而在300年后的现在 情况已经不一样了
Productivity growth has stagnated . 生产力成长率停滞不前
Australia is one of the worst-performing countries in terms of longer working hours. 澳洲高工时的糟糕情况 在全球名列前茅
economic:adj.经济的,经济上的;经济学的; productivity:n.生产力;生产率;生产能力; stagnated:v.停滞(stagnate的过去式); worst-performing:adj.最差劲的表演;经营效率低下;
And this idea of productivity that governments and businesses speak about all the time, it measures 10 million dollars invested in a hospital, the same as 10 million dollars spent on a coal-fired power plant . 然而这个生产力的概念 就是政府和企業整天在说的 将投资在医院的一千万澳元 和花在燃煤火力发电厂的一千万澳元 当成一样价值的东西
And our most precious resource , the planet, is dying, and we have no planet B. 结果我们珍贵的资源和星球逐渐消逝 而地球只有一个
So we're not happy at work. 所以我们不止上班不开心
And we're not productive . 还没有生产力
And oddly , in the time of the pandemic , when we're touting mental health and wellness and the importance of people, studies show we've actually extended the average working day by 40 minutes since March this year. 更奇怪的是在疫情期间 当我们在鼓吹心理健康 以及人的重要性时 研究显示我们的平均工时 竟然从今年三月开始增加了40分钟[04:58]
invested:v.投资;投入;(invest的过去分词和过去式) coal-fired:adj.烧煤的; power plant:n.发电厂;发电站; precious:adj.宝贵的;珍贵的;矫揉造作的; resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备); productive:adj.能生产的;生产的,生产性的;多产的;富有成效的; oddly:adv.古怪地;奇妙地;单数地; pandemic:adj.(疾病等)全国流行的;普遍的;n.流行性疾病; touting:v.兜售;[贸易]招徕顾客(tout的现在分词形式); mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; wellness:n.健康; extended:adj.延长了的;扩展了的;v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;(extend的过去式和过去分词) working day:n.一天中的工作时间;工作日;
All in the pursuit of productivity. 目的只是为了追求产能
And I think it's because we first thought that COVID was a fleeting moment. 我想是因为一开始大家都认为 新冠疫情并不会持续太久
You see, COVID is like a snowstorm . 疫情就像是一场暴风雪
After years of what seemed like endless sunshine outside, we looked out and we saw snow. 就像一直以来我们都生活在阳光下 结果突然看到外面开始下雪
in the pursuit of:追求;为了追求; fleeting:adj.转瞬即逝的;短暂的;闪现的; snowstorm:n.暴风雪;雪暴; endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的; sunshine:n.阳光;日光;欢乐;幸福
So we did the right thing. 于是我们做了合理的事情
We closed the windows and doors and we stayed inside. 关上门窗然后待在家中
But a few weeks later, we looked out and it was still snowing. 几个星期后我们再往窗外看 这场雪还在下
And we're like, "Ah, it's not a snowstorm, it's winter." 于是我们发现 原来这不是一场暴风雪而已 而是冬天到了
So we did the right thing. 于是我们又做了合理的判断
We went online, bought a new jumper jacket and a scarf. 上网买了毛衣、外套和围巾
But by the time they were delivered to our door, we realized it wasn't winter. 但在这些东西送达之前 我们又发现这不是冬天
It was the ice age. 是冰河时期
What was the moment when you realized that this was the ice age? 问题是你在什么时候 才发现这是冰河时期的?
Think about it. 想想看
That moment when you sat there and thought, "It's kind of not an eight-week thing anymore, this, is it? 那个瞬间你突然发觉 这情况好像不会只持续八个星期
It's been here for a while . 已经很久了
In fact, maybe it's here forever." 而且可能永远都会存在
And how did that moment of realization make you feel about work, something that you spend about a third of your time doing, by the way ? 那个瞬间是否影响了你对工作的态度 毕竟你三分之一的时间都花在工作上
for a while:adv.片刻;暂时;一会儿;一时; realization:n.实现;领悟; by the way:顺便说一下;
I can tell you how it made 5,000 people feel across Australia, the US, Japan, France and Germany in a recent study commissioned by Atlassian. 我可以告诉你5000个 在澳洲、美国、日本、法国 和德国的人怎么想 这是最近Atlassian公司做的一个研究
Despite the fact that people weren't commuting to work and therefore saving that time, nearly half of respondents said they had less time for personal pursuits . 尽管现在人们并没有通勤上班 能省下一些时间 有一半的人觉得 他们自己的时间变少了
Personal pursuits, the things that actually make you happy. 做自己想做的事情 是最能够让人感到开心的
commissioned:adj.受委任的;v.正式委托;任命…为军官;(commission的过去式和过去分词) commuting:n.乘公交车上下班;经常往来; respondents:n.回答者,调查对象(respondent复数形式); personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; pursuits:n.追求;寻找;追捕;事业;爱好;(pursuit的复数)
And the number one complaint at this time? 但是现在大家最不满的
Work-life balance. 就是工作跟生活的平衡
Me personally , 以我来说
I've put on five kilos since March. 我从今年三月到现在胖了五公斤
I'm drinking more and I'm sleeping less. 我喝比较多酒,也睡得比较少[06:49]
complaint:n.抱怨;投诉;控告;不满; personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
That's COVID's fault, right? 这是疫情的错对吧?
Or is it simply that I'm just not happy? 还是我只是不快乐
That in my relentless pursuit of productivity, 在不断追求生产力时
I've lost sight of what's really important. 我已经渐渐忘了什么才是重要的事
Now, we could spend the rest of this talk sharing stories about how unhappy we are, or we can actually flip the tables and talk about what we can do. 当然我接下来可以一直讲 自己有多么不开心 或者我们可以翻转情势 来聊聊我们如何改变
relentless:adj.无情的;残酷的;不间断的; flip:n.浏览;空翻;轻抛;捻掷;v.迅速翻动;按(开关);按(按钮);开(或关)(机器等);
I'm choosing to do the latter . 我决定做第二种
I'd like you to close your eyes for a second. 请闭上眼睛
I want you to imagine a world where our measure of success is not productivity. 想像一个世界 成功的标准并不是生产力
I want you to imagine a world where instead of thinking about busyness and titles and bank balances, we think about our impact on the world. 在这个世界里 在乎的并非繁忙的生活或头衔 也不是银行存款 而是对这个世界的影响力
latter:adj.后者的;近来的;后面的;较后的; busyness:n.繁忙; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
I want you to imagine a world where status isn't the reason for our existence. 在这个世界里 地位不是我们唯一存在的理由
Open your eyes. 请睁开眼睛
I'd now like to introduce you to the Personal Moral Inventory . 现在我想跟你们介绍 个人道德檢视清单
The Personal Moral Inventory is inspired by two pieces of work. 个人道德檢视清单 融合了两种不同的概念
The first, the work from the world of finance , something called the quadruple bottom line , aimed at getting businesses to report in a more rounded fashion. 第一个是与财金相关 叫做四重底线的理论 目的是希望能让企業 用更全面的方式做出报告[07:46]
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份; Moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的; Inventory:n.存货,存货清单;详细目录;财产清册; inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; quadruple:v.(使)变为四倍;adj.四方面的;四倍的;n.四倍 bottom line:n.底线;归根结底;账本底线,盈亏一览结算线;
The second, an exercise that elite military personnel go through to self-assess themselves and their teammates before going into battle. 第二个 是让精英军事人员 在上战场之前评估自我与队友的 一种方式
I believe that these four things, 我相信这四个因素
Productivity and Profit , People, the Planet and our Purpose, are the secret to our happiness. 生产力跟收入、人 地球和意义 是我们快乐的秘密
And what's important in the time of the ice age, the time we're in right now, is not to get distracted by the things we can't do, but to find the things that we can do. 而在冰河期最重要的 就像现在这种时候 不能只执着在没办法做的事情 而是找到有什么可以做的
elite:n.精英;精华;杰出人物; military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人; personnel:n.人事部门;全体人员;adj.人员的;有关人事的; Profit:n.利润;利益;v.获利;有益; distracted:adj.心烦意乱; v.转移(注意力); (distract的过去分词和过去式)
It's on us to take ownership and control of our own happiness. 我们要对自己的快乐负起责任
Let's do the exercise together. 让我们一起来做一下测试
What I'm going to do is rate each area minus one, zero or one. 现在要在每个分类打上 -1、0,或是1分
One is you're nailing it. 1分代表你做得非常好
High fives all round , good on you. 击掌,你很棒
Zero is you're getting by. 0分就是还过得去
Not awesome . Not awful. 没有很突出,但也不算糟[08:41]
minus:prep.减,减去;n.负号,减号;不足;负数;adj.减的;负的; all round:周围,到处; awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
And minus one is you're struggling. 1分的话代表这方面表现较差
Here's mine for this year. 这是我今年的分数
For Productivity and Profit, I'm a one. 以生产力和收入来说,我是1分
I have a good job, I have a good salary, 我有工作,有不错的收入
I have a roof over my head, 也有地方可以住
I can pay the bills. 而且能负担生活开销
But here's the thing. 但重点来了
You can't score more than a one, so it becomes impossible to pack all your happiness into one category . 你最高只能打1分 所以无法将所有的快乐分数 集中在一种类别
And it's like we're all trying to get to a two on Productivity, but to what extent ? 现在大家都想在生产力上拿到两分 但要到什么样的程度才算呢?
The next area is People. 下一个分类是人
People is about how you think about your personal, mental and physical health. 人包含对自己个人 心理与生理健康的看法
category:n.种类,分类;[数]范畴; extent:n.程度;范围;长度; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查;
You have to start with yourself. 要先从自己做起
You have to put your own oxygen mask on before you can help others. 你先照顾好自己才有办法幫助别人
This is also about how you impact family, friends, society. 除此之外也跟对家人、朋友 社会的影响力有关
It's about being human and having a positive impact on humanity . 以及作为一个人类 对全体人类是否有正面的影响
For this, I score myself a zero. 这点我给自己打0分
oxygen mask:n.氧气面具;氧气面罩; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
Planet. 地球
Let's just say I took over 100 flights last year, so I'm going to score myself a minus one. 去年我搭飞机超过100次 所以我给自己-1分
And finally , Purpose. 最后是意义
Purpose is about the impact you want to have and the legacy you want to leave behind . 也就是你想要拥有怎样的影响力 以及想在这个世界留下些什么
It's the why you do what you do. 是你做事情的动机
For this, I score myself a zero. 这个我给自己打0分
Now, I can already tell the keen beans in the room and online are trying to add this up and net this off. 我相信现场还有线上跃跃欲试的各位 已经准备要将各项分数加起来[09:57]
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; leave behind:留下,丢下 keen:adj.敏锐的,敏捷的;渴望的;强烈的;热心的;锐利的;n.痛哭,挽歌;
That is not how it works. 但并不是这样算的
Your positive impacts in one category doesn't mitigate your negative impacts in another category. 你在其中一项的正面影响 并不能抵消另一项的负面影响
For me, the fact that I'm financially well off doesn't make up for the fact that I'm killing the planet. 就算我财务的状况很好 这并没办法弥补我对地球的破坏
It wasn't this realization, though, that got me thinking something had to change. 但并不是因为这件事 才让我觉得有些事需要改变
impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; mitigate:vt.使缓和,使减轻;vi.减轻,缓和下来; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; financially:adv.财政上;金融上; make up for:补偿,弥补;
Shortly after my sister passed away, 在我姊姊过世后不久
I did this exercise on her behalf . 我站在她的角度做了这个测验
And it got me thinking. 然后我就开始思考
For Productivity and Profit, she was a zero. 她的生产力跟收入是0
She struggled financially. 财务上并没有很宽裕
In her final few years she couldn't work, but she got by. 最后几年她甚至无法工作 但还算过得去[10:32]
behalf:n.代表;利益; struggled:v.奋斗;努力;争取;艰难地行进;抗争;(struggle的过去式和过去分词)
For People, she was a definite one. 人的方面,她绝对是1分
She really knew her own identity . 她很了解自己
She invested in her life. 花很多心思在生活上
She had a lot of fun. 并且过得很开心
You all remember the party you were at with Trudy. 有她在场的派对你一定会记得[10:45]
definite:adj.一定的;确切的; identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
And she invested in the local school, community , friends and family. 她对在地学校、社区 朋友和家人也都很用心
For Planet, she was also a one. 对地球,她也是1分
She had a very low carbon footprint . 她在节能减碳方面做得很好
She very rarely flew anywhere. 很少搭飞机去别的地方
She didn't own a car. 也没有开车[10:57]
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的; footprint:n.足迹;脚印; rarely:adv.很少地;难得;罕有地;
She was avid at reduce, reuse, recycle . 她非常热衷在垃圾减量、再利用和回收
And in winter, she would make you put a jumper on before she'd let you turn the heating on. 在冬天的时候 她会叫你先穿上毛衣 而不是先开暖气
And on Purpose , she was also a strong one. 在意义方面,她非常坚强
She knew the legacy she wanted to leave behind. 她知道自己想在这世界上留下什么
avid:adj.渴望的,贪婪的;热心的; recycle:v.回收利用;再利用; on Purpose:有目的地,故意地;
She knew exactly why she was on this planet. 她了解自己为何在这个世界上
Purpose isn't about being a superhero. 并不是说一定要当超级英雄才有意义
It's not about wearing a cape or single-handedly saving the world. 也不是穿着披风 或是一个人拯救世界
Trudy's purpose was to give those two boys the best upbringing in the small time that she had available. 特鲁迪的人生意义就是
I learned two things doing this exercise for her. 我在幫她做测验的时候 学到了两件事
Firstly , I learned that happiness is contextual . 第一、快乐跟思维有关
cape:n.披肩;披风;短斗篷;地角; single-handedly:独力地;单独地; upbringing:n.教养;养育;抚育; Firstly:adv.首先(主要用于列举条目,论点时);第一; contextual:adj.上下文的;前后关系的;
Like, for Trudy, the fact that she was financially struggling, she didn't let that dictate her happiness. 就像对特鲁迪来说 虽然她财务上并不宽裕 但她并没有因为这件事就不快乐
She didn't put all her eggs in that basket and shut up shop. 她没有把鸡蛋都放在这一个篮子里 然后就放弃
But the second realization hit me a lot harder. 第二点则让我感触更深
Despite everything, Trudy was happier than me. 尽管状况并不好,她过得比我快乐
Here's where we get to take our happiness into our own hands. 这就是我们可以 对自己的快乐负责的地方[11:55]
dictate:v.决定;口述;支配;强行规定;n.规定;命令;
What I want you to do is to think about the areas where you would score zero or minus one and commit to doing something to improve . 我希望你做的是 想一下你拿0分 或是-1分的地方 然后花时间去改善
So whatever you commit to do, 不管是什么事情
I want you to give it a red hot go in the next summer. 这个夏天你一定尽全力去做
Why? 为什么?
Well, the best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. 就像种树最好的时机是20年前[12:15]
commit:v.犯(罪等);干(坏事等);[法]提(审);判处; improve:v.改进;改善;
The second best time is today. 第二好的就是今天了
So we're going to do this right now. 所以现在马上就要开始做
For me, my worst score was Planet. 我的话,最低分的是地球
I'm going to commit to going meat-free for three days a week and then I'll reassess . 我决定要一周三天不吃肉 然后再重新评估跟调整
I've already changed my energy provider to one that's carbon neutral . 我已经换了碳中和的能源供应商[12:32]
second best:adj.第二好的; reassess:vt.再评价;再课税;再摊派; provider:n.供应者;养家者; neutral:n.中立国; adj.中立的;
And I've invested in a company that's trying to save our oceans. 然后还投资了努力在拯救海洋的企業
Small steps, but then I can reassess. 虽然只是小小的一步 但可以持续调整
On People, 人的方面
I'm going to commit to be more present with the people I care about. 我会更珍惜跟重要的人相处的时光
For the last four years, I've essentially been single and if I'm really honest, I was emotionally unavailable . 过去四年我一直都是单身 老实说情感上我并没有真的敞开心胸
But I've actually been very fortunate to meet someone amazing. 但我很幸运的 遇到了一个很棒的人
So what I'm going to do is commit to investing in that relationship with openness , authenticity and vulnerability . 所以我要更花时间经营这段关系 坦诚、真实,并展现自己的脆弱一面
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; emotionally:adv.感情上;情绪上;令人激动地;情绪冲动地; unavailable:adj.难以获得的;不能利用的;不近便的; fortunate:adj.幸运的;交好运的;吉利的; investing:v.投资;投入(时间、精力等);(invest的现在分词) openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真; authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性; vulnerability:n.易损性;弱点;
And a little bit of cheekiness . 甚至有一点厚脸皮
And on Purpose, a year ago, I was actually a one on Purpose. 在意义上 一年前我有1分
My purpose was twofold , it was the impact I was having on people through my public speaking, and it was the precious time I got to spend with my sister. 我的意义有两个方面 一个是透过演讲影响群众 另一个则是花时间陪我的姊姊
cheekiness:n.厚脸皮; twofold:adj.双重的;两倍的;adv.双重地;两倍地;
But in a few short weeks at the start of 2020, both of those disappeared . 但在2020初的前几周 一切都消失了
And in the months since, I've been really trying to rediscover my purpose. 那之后的几个月 我一直在重新寻找自己的意义
And I'll be honest, 老实说
I've really struggled to find it. 我找不太到
And I think that's OK. 虽然我觉得没有关系[13:31]
disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词) rediscover:vt.重新发现;再发现;
But then I realized that I have this, today, this moment. 但我想到了还有这个 就是今天现在这个时刻
This is me rediscovering my purpose. 我正在找回生活的意义
What are you going to do? 你会怎么做?
What action are you going to take? 你会采取什么样的行动?
Whatever action you do take, you suddenly realize that you can stop hinging all your happiness on one category of the personal moral inventory. 不管你打算做什么 你已经知道可以不用把自己的快乐 绑在单一面向上了
rediscovering:vt.重新发现;再发现; hinging:n.铰链;枢纽;关键;vt.给…安装铰链;vi.依…而转移;
Instead, you invest in taking control of your own happiness. 反之,你可以试着将快乐掌握在手中
Our future is not predetermined . 我们的未来并非事先安排好
Our future is not written and our future is not waiting for us. 也不是已经写好的剧本 而且未来也不会等我们
I'm building mine and I believe you are building yours. 我正在一步步创造未来 相信你也是一样
And how happy we are in our future will be based solely on our action or inaction across all facets of life, not just the working week . 我们未来会有多快乐 并不只有在工作上而已
predetermined:adj.业已决定的;先已决定的;v.已决定的(predetermine的过去式和过去分词); solely:adv.单独地,唯一地; inaction:n.不活动;迟钝; facets:n.面状,[材]刻面;切面或瓣面(facet的复数形式); working week:n.一周的工作时间;工作周;
I am the key to unleashing my own happiness, and I believe you are the key to unleashing your own happiness. 我就是自己快不快乐的关键 我相信你也是自己快乐的关键
I can safely say that Trudy didn't have any regrets, but she did have one wish. 我可以说特鲁迪并没有后悔的事 但她有一个愿望
To see me on stage, live, presenting at TEDx. 就是看我站上TEDx的舞台
Thank you very much. 谢谢大家
unleashing:v.发泄;突然释放;使爆发(unleash的现在分词)