|
|
DianaNyad_2011P-_与世界上最危险的水母的极限共泳_
|
Yeah, so a couple of years ago I was turning 60, and I don't like being 60. |
是的,两三年前我正进入六十岁, 可是,我不喜欢六十岁。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I started grappling with this existential angst of what little I had done with my life. |
于是我开始纠结, 纠结于, 生命里缺乏成就的存在的焦虑感。 |
grappling:v.扭打;搏斗;努力设法解决;(grapple的现在分词) existential:adj.存在主义的;有关存在的;存在判断的; angst:n.焦虑;担心;
|
It wasn't the resume of breaking this record here, it was more like, who had I become? |
这可不是关乎履历 或者是破纪录 而主要是,我变成了什么样的人? |
resume:n.简历;v.继续;重返;
|
How had I spent my valuable time? |
我是怎样利用珍贵的时间的? |
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品;
|
How could this have gone by like lightning ? |
怎么可能这么快就过了? 好像闪电一般。 |
lightning:n.闪电;adj.闪电般的;飞快的;突然的
|
And I couldn't forgive myself for the countless , countless hours |
我无法原谅自己 花了无数个小时 |
forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等); countless:adj.无数的;数不尽的;
|
I had lost in negative thought -- all the time I had spent beating myself up for losing my marriage and not stopping the sexual abuse when I was a kid and career moves and this and this and this. |
迷失在 负面的想法里, 一直以来,我深陷在 对失去的婚姻, 对小时候没有被自己阻止的性虐待, 对职业转换, 这样和那样的自责中 |
negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝; sexual:adj.性的;性别的;有性的; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
Just why, why didn't I do it better? Why? Why? Why? |
为什么?为什么我就不能做得更好一些?为什么?为什么?为什么? |
And then my mother died at 82. |
然后,我妈妈在八十二岁时去世了。 |
And so I starting thinking, not only am I not happy with the past, now I'm getting choked with, "I've only got 22 years left." |
于是我开始想, 我不仅仅是对自己的过去不满意, 而且对于自己 只剩下22年的时间也耿耿于怀。 |
choked:adj.堵塞的; v.使窒息; (choke的过去分词和过去式)
|
What am I going to do with this short amount of time that's just fleeting ? |
在如此短暂, 几乎是一闪而过的这些时日里,我又将做些什么呢? |
fleeting:adj.转瞬即逝的;短暂的;闪现的;
|
And I'm not in the present whatsoever . |
我并没有活在当下。 |
whatsoever:pron.无论什么;
|
And I decided the remedy to all this malaise was going to be for me to chase an elevated dream, an extreme dream, something that would require other conviction and unwavering passion , something that would make me be my best self in every aspect of my life, every minute of every day, because the dream was so big that I couldn't get there without that kind of behavior and that kind of conviction. |
我于是决定,治疗所有这些毛病的方法 就是 让我自己 去追求一个更高远的梦想, 一个挑战极限的梦想, 一件需要用 百分百的决心 和不可动摇的热忱去做的事, 能够让我 做最好的自己, 在人生的每一个方面, 每天的每一分钟里,做最好的自己,这样的一件事。 因为这个梦想太大了, 如果没有那样的行动和决心, 它将无法达成。 |
remedy:vt.补救;治疗;纠正;n.补救;治疗;赔偿; malaise:n.不舒服;心神不安; elevated:adj.提高的;高尚的;欢欣的;v.提高;振奋;提拔;(elevate的过去分词和过去式) extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; conviction:n.判罪;定罪;坚定的看法(或信念);坚信;肯定; unwavering:adj.坚定的;不动摇的; passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; aspect:n.方面;层面;外观;方位;
|
And I decided, it was an old dream that was lingering , that was from so many years ago, three decades ago -- the only kind of world-class swim |
于是我决定, 它将是一个长久以来萦绕在我心头的一个梦想。 那是很多年前, 三十年前, 在我二十多岁时, |
lingering:adj.拖延的; v.继续存留; (linger的现在分词) world-class:n.世界级;adj.世界级的;
|
I had tried and failed at back in my 20's -- was going from Cuba to Florida. |
唯一的一次我尝试了又失败的世界级游泳比赛, 从古巴到佛罗里达。 |
It was deep in my imagination . |
我一直想象着自己去做这件事。 |
imagination:n.想象;想象力;创造力;想象的事物;
|
No one's ever done it without a shark cage. |
没有人在不用防鲨笼的情况下做到过。 |
It's daunting . |
这的确让人害怕。 |
daunting:adj.令人生畏的:令人胆怯的:v.使胆怯:使失去信心;(daunt的现在分词)
|
It's more than a hundred miles across a difficult passage of ocean. |
超过一百多英里的艰难海路, |
It's probably, at my speed, at my age -- for anybody's speed at anybody's age -- going to take 60, maybe 70, hours of continuous swimming, never getting out on the boat. |
也许以我的速度,在我的年龄- 或者以任何人的速度、任何年龄- 都需要不间断地游上60, 也许70个小时, 而且中间不上船。 |
continuous:adj.连续的,持续的;继续的;连绵不断的;
|
And I started to train. |
我开始训练了。 |
I hadn't swum for 31 years, not a stroke . |
我已经31年没有游泳了,手都没有划一下。 |
stroke:n.中风;笔画;钟声;抚摩;v.抚摩(动物的毛皮);轻抚;轻挪;轻触;
|
And I had kept in good shape, but swimming's a whole different animal. |
虽然我身材仍然保持得不错,不过这跟游泳完全是两码事。 |
As a matter of fact , this picture is supposed to be me during training. |
其实, 这张照片拍的是训练中的我, |
As a matter of fact:事实上; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
|
It's a smiling face. |
这是一张笑脸。 |
And when you're training for this sport, you are not smiling. |
可是,当你进行这样的训练时,你是没法笑出来的。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's an arduous , difficult sport, and I don't remember smiling at any time during this sport. |
这是一项艰苦、艰难的运动, 我可不记得我笑过, 我不记得有在训练中的任何一刻笑过。 |
arduous:adj.努力的;费力的;险峻的;
|
As I said , I respect other sports, and I compare this sport sometimes to cycling and to mountain climbing and other of the expedition type events, but this is a sensory deprivation , a physical duress . |
我说过,我尊重其他的运动, 我有时候把这项运动 跟骑车和登山 或者其他的探险运动相比, 可这项运动是知觉的剥夺, 是肢体的强迫。 |
As I said:正如我所说的 compare:v.比较;对比;n.比较; expedition:n.远征;探险队;迅速; sensory:adj.感觉的;知觉的;传递感觉的; deprivation:n.剥夺;损失;免职;匮乏;贫困; physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; duress:n.强迫;监禁;
|
And when I started in with the eight hours and the 10 hours and the 12 hours and the 14 hours and the 15 hours and the 24-hour swims, |
当我开始 六个小时,十个小时,十二个小时, 然后十四个小时,十五个小时,二十四个小时地游泳的时候, |
I knew I had it, because I was making it through these. |
我知道我能行。 因为这些我一步步都做到了。 |
And when I said I'm going to go out and do a 15-hour swim, and we're coming into the dock after a long day and it's now night, and we come in and it's 14 hours and 58 minutes and I can touch the dock and we're done, the trainer says, "That's great. |
我说我要出去游十五个小时, 当我们经过了漫长的一天回到码头时, 已经是晚上了。 我们回来的时候已经游了十四个小时五十八分钟, 到了码头我们就算是完成了。 教练说:“非常好。 |
dock:n.码头;船坞;被告席;尾巴的骨肉部分;vt.使靠码头;剪短;vi.入船坞;
|
It's 14 hours 58 minutes. Who cares the last two minutes?" |
14小时58分钟。那两分钟管它呢。” |
I say, "No, it's got to be 15 hours," |
我说:“不行,一定要满15个小时。” |
and I swim another minute out and another minute back to make the 15 hours. |
我又游出去一分钟,游回来一分钟, 这样加起来总共15个小时。 |
And I put together an expedition. |
我组织了这一次探险, |
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
|
It's not that I didn't have help, but honestly, I sort of led, I was the team leader. |
倒不是说我没有其他的帮助, 而是,实际上,我基本上是整个团队的领导。 |
And to get the government permissions, you read in the paper, you think it's easy to get into Cuba everyday? |
要得到政府的批准, 你在报纸上可以读到, 你以为古巴是那么容易每天可以随便进去的吗? |
Try going in with an armada like we had of 50 people and five boats and CNN's crew, etc. |
带着像我们这样的一支舰队, 包括50个人和5艘船, CNN采访队伍等,去试一下。 |
armada:n.(西班牙的)无敌舰队;
|
The navigation is difficult. |
导航也困难。 |
navigation:n.导航;航行;领航;
|
There's a big river called the Gulf Stream that runs across and it's not going in the direction you are. |
途中会遇到一条“大河”,叫做墨西哥湾暖流, 途中会遇到一条“大河”,叫做墨西哥湾暖流, 它去的不是你要去的方向, |
Gulf Stream:n.墨西哥湾流;
|
It's going to the east and you'd like to go north. |
它向东流而你则要向北。 |
It's tricky . |
这就棘手了。 |
tricky:adj.难办的;难对付的;狡猾的;诡计多端的;
|
And there's dehydration . |
然后还有脱水, |
dehydration:n.脱水;
|
And there's hypothermia . |
体温过低, |
hypothermia:n.降低体温;低体温症;
|
And there are sharks. |
还有鲨鱼, |
And there are all kinds of problems. |
以及各种各样的问题。 |
And I gathered together, honestly, the world's leading experts in every possible way. |
我集结了实际上是 各个方面的世界级专家。 |
And a month ago, the 23rd of September, |
一个月前, 也就是九月二十三号, |
I stood on that shore and I looked across to that long, long faraway horizon and I asked myself, do you have it? |
我站在海岸上, 放眼望着 那遥远的地平线 我对自己说, 你已经准备好了吗? |
faraway:adj.遥远的;恍惚的; horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围;
|
Are your shoulders ready? |
你的肩膀准备好了吗 |
And they were. They were prepared. |
是的,它们都准备好了。 |
No stone left unturned . |
该准备的已经都准备了。 |
unturned:adj.未翻转的;未颠倒的;不转动的;
|
Was the mind ready? |
思想准备好了吗? |
You know, you're swimming with the fogged goggles , you're swimming at 60 strokes a minute, so you're never really focused on anything, you don't see well. |
要知道,你是透过模糊的泳镜游泳, 你的速度是一分钟60划, 所以根本没法聚焦,看不清楚。 |
goggles:n.护目镜;风镜;游泳镜;v.瞪大眼睛看;(goggle的第三人称单数和复数) strokes:n.中风; v.轻抚; (stroke的第三人称单数和复数)
|
You've got tight bathing caps over your ears trying to keep the heat of the head, because it's where the hypothermia starts, and so you don't hear very well. |
浴帽紧紧地盖着你的两个耳朵, 这是为了给头部保暖, 因为体温过低都是从头部开始, 所以你也听不清楚。 |
bathing:n.游泳,畅游;v.给…洗澡;洗澡;(bath的现在分词)
|
You're really left alone with your own thoughts. |
你就这样孤独地只有跟自己的想法在一起。 |
And I had all kinds of counting systems ready there in English, followed by German, followed by Spanish, followed by French. |
我有各种各样的数数方法, 有英文的,德文的, 还有西班牙文的,法文的。 |
You save the French for last. |
法文的得留到最后才用。 |
And I had songs, I had a playlist in my head -- not through headphones , in my own head -- of 65 songs. |
我还有歌,播放曲目都在我这儿, 不在耳机里,在我自己的脑子里- 一共65首曲子。 |
playlist:n.播放列表;演出剧目表; headphones:n.[电讯]耳机;听筒;[电子]头戴式受话器;(headphone的复数)
|
And I couldn't wait to get into the dark in the middle of the night, because that's when Neil Young comes out. |
我迫不及待地想要进入漆黑的深夜, 因为那是尼尔扬出来的时候。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And it's odd , isn't it? |
很奇怪,是不是? |
odd:adj.古怪的;奇数的;n.奇数;
|
You'd think you'd be singing Leonard Cohen's " Hallelujah " |
在这壮观的大洋里,你可能以为这时应该唱伦纳德科恩的“哈里路亚”, |
Hallelujah:n.赞美上帝的颂歌;int.哈利路亚;
|
out in the majesty of the ocean, not songs about heroin addiction in New York City. |
在这壮观的大洋里,你可能以为这时应该唱伦纳德科恩的“哈里路亚”, 而不是在纽约染上毒瘾这样的歌。 |
majesty:n.威严;最高权威,王权;雄伟;权威; heroin:n.[药][毒物]海洛因,吗啡; addiction:n.瘾;嗜好;入迷;
|
But no, for some reason |
可是并非如此,不知怎么的, |
I couldn't wait to get into the dark of the night and be singing, |
我就是特别期待进入漆黑的夜, 然后唱起, |
? "A heard you knocking at my cellar door ? |
?”我听到你敲着我地窖的门,? |
cellar:n.地窖;酒窖;地下室;vt.把…藏入地窖;
|
? I love you baby and I want some more ? |
?我爱你宝贝,我还要更多,? |
? Ooh, ooh, the damage done ? |
?哦,哦,伤害已经造成“? |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
The night before I started, |
我在启程的前一夜 |
I finished Stephen Hawking's "The Grand Design." |
看完了史蒂文·霍金的《大设计》, |
And I couldn't wait to trip the mind fantastic . |
我迫不及待地想要 开始这神奇的精神之旅。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
About the 50th hour, |
在第五十个小时的时候, |
I was going to start thinking about the edge of the universe. |
我开始思考宇宙的边缘。 |
Is there an edge? |
宇宙真的有边缘吗? |
Is this an envelope we're living inside of, or no, does it go onto infinity in both time and space? |
我们是不是住在一个有边界的时空里, 或者,它是不是在时空上无限延伸的呢? |
envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; infinity:n.无穷;无限大;无限距;
|
And there's nothing like swimming for 50 hours in the ocean that gets you thinking about things like this. |
没有任何事情比在大洋里游五十个小时 更让你能够思考这些事情。 |
I couldn't wait to prove the athlete I am, that nobody else in the world can do this swim. |
我迫不及待地想要证明自己是个独一无一二的运动员, 这个世界上没有其他人能够像我这样游泳, |
athlete:n.运动员,体育家;身强力壮的人;
|
And I knew I could do it. |
而且我知道我能行。 |
And when I jumped into that water, |
于是我跳进水里, |
I yelled in my mother's French, "Courage!" |
用和我妈妈一样口音的法语高喊着,”勇气!” |
And I started swimming, and, oh my God, it was glassy . |
然后我开始游了。 天哪,水可真清。 |
glassy:adj.像玻璃的;光亮透明的;呆滞的;
|
And we knew it, all 50 people on the boat, this was it, this was our time. |
而且我们知道,船上的50个人都知道, 我们知道, 这是我们的时刻。 |
And I reminded myself a couple hours in, you know, the sport is sort of a microcosm of life itself. |
过了一两个小时,我提醒自己, 你知道,这项运动犹如生活的缩影, |
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式) microcosm:n.微观世界;小宇宙;作为宇宙缩影的人类;缩图(等于microcosmos);
|
First of all , you're going to hit obstacles . |
首先,你将会遇到障碍。 |
First of all:adv.首先; obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式)
|
And even though you're feeling great at any one moment, don't take it for granted , be ready, because there's going to be pain, there's going to be suffering. |
即使你在任何时候都感觉很好, 不要掉以轻心,做好准备, 因为将会有痛苦,你将会受苦, |
take it for granted:认为理所当然;想当然;
|
It's not going to feel this good all the way across. |
不会让你从头到尾都感觉良好。 |
And I was thinking of the hypothermia and maybe some shoulder pain and all the other things -- the vomiting that comes from being in the saltwater . |
我想着可能会体温过低, 还有可能的肩膀疼痛, 还有所有的其他事情- 因为浸泡在海水里而呕吐。 |
vomiting:v.呕吐(vomit的现在分词); saltwater:adj.盐水的;海产的;
|
You're immersed in the liquid. |
你整个儿浸在水里, |
immersed:adj.沉入的; v.浸没; (immerse的过去分词和过去式)
|
Your body doesn't like the saltwater. |
你的身体不习惯海水。 |
After a couple of days, three days, you tend to rebel in a lot of physical ways. |
几天之后,三天之后, 你的身体 开始反抗。 |
rebel:n.反政府的人;叛乱者;造反者;反抗权威者;v.造反;反抗;背叛;adj.造反的;
|
But no, two hours in, wham -- never in my life ... |
但是,开始后的两个小时, 哇!这可从来没发生过...... |
wham:int.砰;表示意外的事情突然发生;n.重击;重击声;v.重击
|
I knew there were Portuguese men o' war, all kinds of moon jellies , all kinds of things, but the box jellyfish from the southern oceans is not supposed to be in these waters. |
我知道那里有僧帽水母(又名葡萄牙战舰), 各式各样的海月水母,还有其他各种各样的水母。 但是南部洋域的盒水母 是不应该出现在这里的。 |
Portuguese:adj.葡萄牙的;葡萄牙人的;葡萄牙语的;n.葡萄牙人;葡萄牙语; jellies:n.果胶;凝胶剂(jelly复数); jellyfish:n.水母;[无脊椎]海蜇;软弱无能的人;
|
And I was on fire -- excruciating , excruciating pain. |
(被蛰了以后)我身上像着了火- 无法忍受,无法忍受的痛。 |
excruciating:adj.折磨人的;极痛苦的;极坏的;v.折磨;使受酷刑;(excruciate的现在分词)
|
I don't know if you can still see the red line here and up the arm. |
我不知道你们还能不能看到, 这条红色的线从这里一直到手臂上。 |
Evidently , a piece this big of tentacle has a hundred-thousand little barbs on it and each barb is not just stinging your skin, it's sending a venom . |
一条巨大的盒水母的触角, 上面有千百个小倒钩, 每个倒钩不仅蜇你的皮肤, 而且还会注射毒液 |
Evidently:adv.显然,明显地;清楚地; tentacle:n.触手,[动]触须,[动]触角; barbs:n.[昆]倒刺;冷嘲热讽(barb的复数形式); stinging:v.刺;蜇;叮;(使)感觉刺痛;激怒;使不安;(sting的现在分词) venom:n.毒液;恶意;vt.使有毒;放毒;
|
The most venomous animal that lives in the ocean is the box jellyfish. |
海洋生物中最毒的 就是这盒水母 |
venomous:adj.有毒的;恶毒的;分泌毒液的;怨恨的;
|
And every one of those barbs is sending that venom into this central nervous system . |
而且每一个倒钩 把毒液传到中枢神经系统。 |
central nervous system:n.中枢神经系统;
|
So first I feel like boiling hot oil, |
所以一开始我觉得全身好像 |
I've been dipped in. |
浸在沸油里 |
dipped:v.蘸;浸;(使)下降;把(汽车前灯的)远光调为近光;(dip的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I'm yelling out, "Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire! |
我大叫起来:“火!火!火!火! |
Help me! Somebody help me!" |
帮我!快来帮我!” |
And the next thing is paralysis . |
接下来就是麻痹。 |
paralysis:n.麻痹;无力;停顿;
|
I feel it in the back and then I feel it in the chest up here, and I can't breathe. |
首先是背部,接下来就是自胸部向上, 我无法呼吸, |
And now I'm not swimming with a nice long stroke, |
现在我已经不是在优雅舒展地划水了, |
I'm sort of crabbing it this way. |
我好像蟹一样地这样游着。 |
crabbing:n.捕蟹;[纺]煮呢;v.捕蟹(crab的ing形式);
|
Then come convulsions . |
接着就是抽搐。 |
convulsions:n.[内科]抽搐;社会动乱;哄堂大笑;震动(convulsion的复数形式);
|
Young man on our boat is an EMT. He dives in to try to help me. |
我们船上的一个年轻人是急救员,他跳进水里来救我。 |
dives:n.富豪;
|