|
|
Desperate.Housewives.S01E01-绝望的主妇
|
My name is Mary Alice Young. |
我叫玛丽.艾莉丝.杨 |
When you read this morning's paper, you may come across an article about the unusual day I had last week. |
如果你看了今天的早报 可能会读到一篇报道 有关我上周异常的一天 |
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象;
|
Normally , there's never anything newsworthy about my life, but that all changed last thursday. |
通常 我的生活没有任何新闻价值 然而 直到上周四 一切都改变了 |
Normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地; newsworthy:adj.有报导价值的;
|
Of course, everything seemed quite normal at first. |
起初每件事情都显得很平常 |
I made breakfast for my family. |
我为家人准备早餐 |
I performed my chores. |
做家务 |
performed:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好)(perform的过去分词和过去式)
|
I completed my projects. |
完成手工制作 |
I ran my errands . |
取回干洗的衣服 |
errands:n.差使;差事;(errand的复数)
|
In truth, I spent the day as I spent every other day, quietly polishing the routine of my life until it gleamed with perfection . |
事实上 这天太平常不过了 平静地打理着家里的一切 直至完美 |
polishing:v.擦光;修改;润饰;润色;(polish的现在分词) gleamed:v.发微光;闪烁;流露出;(在眼中)闪现(gleam的过去分词和过去式) perfection:n.完善;完美;
|
That's why it was so astonishing when |
这就是为什么 |
astonishing:adj.令人十分惊讶的;v.使十分惊讶;使吃惊;(astonish的现在分词)
|
I decided to go to my hallway closet and retrieve a revolver that had never been used. |
当我走向走廊的壁橱 拿出从没用过的左轮手枪时 会如此令人震惊了 |
closet:n.贮藏室;壁橱adj.隐藏(身份等)的;v.把…关在房间里; retrieve:v.取回;索回;检索数据;挽回;找回;n.恢复; revolver:n.左轮手枪;旋转器;
|
My body was discovered by my neighbor, |
第一个发现我尸体的是 |
Mrs. Martha Huber, who'd been startled by a strange popping sound . |
我的邻居玛莎.胡博太太 她被这突如其来的声音吓了一跳 |
startled:v.使惊吓;使大吃一惊(startle的过去分词和过去式) popping sound:un.爆裂声;
|
Her curiosity aroused , Mrs. Huber tried to think of a reason for dropping in on me unannounced . |
受好奇心驱使 她想到一个 不请自来的理由 |
curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩; aroused:v.激起,引起;激起性欲;使行动起来;激发(arouse的过去分词和过去式) unannounced:adj.突然的;未经宣布的;未通知的;
|
After some initial hesitation , she decided to return the blender she had borrowed from me six months before. |
片刻犹豫之后 她决定把半年前 借去的搅拌机还给我 |
initial:adj.最初的; n.(名字的)首字母; v.用姓名的首字母作标记(或签名)于; hesitation:n.犹豫; blender:n.(电动)食物搅拌器;
|
It's my neighbor. I think she's been shot. |
我的邻居 她被枪击了 |
There's blood everywhere. |
地上全是血 |
Yes, you've got to send an ambulance . |
是的 快派救护车过来 |
ambulance:n.救护车;
|
You've got to send one right now. |
赶快 |
And, for a moment, |
然后 有那么一会 |
Mrs. Huber stood motionless in her kitchen, grief-stricken by this senseless tragedy . |
胡博太太静静地站在厨房里 陷入了深深的悲伤 |
motionless:adj.静止的;不运动的; grief-stricken:adj.极度悲伤的; senseless:adj.愚蠢的;无知觉的;无意识的; tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
|
But only for a moment. |
但 仅数秒而已 |
If there was one thing Mrs. Huber was known for, it was her ability to look on the bright side . |
如果说胡博太太有什么优点 那就是凡事她都往积极的一面去想 |
look on the bright side:往好处想;乐观一点;
|
I was laid to rest on a Monday. |
我的葬礼在星期一 |
After the funeral , all the residents of Wisteria Lane came to pay their respects. |
葬礼结束后 紫藤郡的邻居们 都去我家表达他们的哀思 |
funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的; residents:n.居民;住院医生;房客;(resident的复数) Wisteria:n.紫藤;柴藤; Lane:n.车道;小巷;泳道;胡同;
|
And, as people do in these situations, they brought food. |
他们按照惯例 带来了食物 |
Lynette Scavo brought fried chicken. |
勒奈特.斯加沃带了炸鸡 |
Lynette had a great family recipe for fried chicken. |
勒奈特家有很棒的炸鸡秘方 |
recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法;
|
Of course, she didn't cook much while moving up the corporate ladder . |
当然 当她还在职场打拼的时候 她很少做饭 |
corporate:adj.公司的;组成公司(或团体)的;法人的;社团的; ladder:n.阶梯;途径;梯状物;v.成名;发迹;在…上装设梯子;
|
She didn't have the time. |
因为没时间 |
But when her doctor announced she was pregnant , her husband Tom had an idea. |
但当被告知怀孕后 她的老公汤姆有了主意 |
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
|
'"Why not quit your job?" |
你不如辞职吧 |
quit:v.离开;放弃;停止;使…解除;n.离开;[计]退出;adj.摆脱了…的;已经了结的;
|
'"Kids do better with stay-at-home moms." |
全职妈妈有利于孩子的成长 |
stay-at-home:adj.不爱出门的;经常呆在家里的;n.不爱出门的人;经常呆在家里的人;
|
'"It would be so much less stressful ." |
这样压力也会小很多 |
stressful:adj.紧张的;有压力的;
|
But this was not the case. |
现实却不尽如人意 |
In fact, Lynette's life had become so hectic she was now forced to get her chicken from the fast-food restaurant. |
勒奈特的日子变得更加忙碌 以至于她不得不去快餐店 点了份外卖炸鸡 |
hectic:n.脸红;患肺结核;adj.兴奋的,狂热的;脸上发红;肺病的;忙碌的; fast-food:adj.供应快餐的;n.快餐食品;
|