返回首页

DerekSivers_2009I-_古怪还是不同_

So, imagine you're standing on a street anywhere in America and a Japanese man comes up to you and says, "Excuse me, what is the name of this block?" 好,假设你现在站在美国任何一个地方的街道上 一个日本人走过来跟你说, “打扰一下,请问这栋街区叫什么名字?”
And you say, "I'm sorry. Well, this is Oak Street, that's Elm Street. 而你说,“不知道。不过,这条是橡树街,那条是榆树街。
Oak:n.橡树;橡木色;橡木家具;adj.栎树的;栎木制的; Elm:n.[林]榆树;榆木;adj.榆树的;榆木的;
This is 26th, that's 27th." 这条是26街,那条是27街。”
He says, "Well, okay. What is the name of that block?" 他说,“哦,好的。那这栋街区叫什么名字呢?”
You say, "Well, blocks don't have names. 你说,“街区是没有名字的。
Streets have names; blocks are just the unnamed spaces in between streets." 街道才有名字;街区只不过是 街道之间的未命名的空间。”
unnamed:adj.无名的;未命名的;未提及的;
He leaves, a little confused and disappointed. 他带着一点疑惑和失望离开了。
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
So, now imagine you're standing on a street, anywhere in Japan, you turn to a person next to you and say, "Excuse me, what is the name of this street?" 好,现在假设你正站在日本某个地方的街道上, 你找到你旁边的一个人说, “打扰一下,请问这条街道叫什么名字?”
They say, "Oh, well that's block 17 and this is block 16." 他们说,“哦,那栋是17街区,这栋是16街区。”
And you say, "Okay, but what is the name of this street?" 你说,“好的,那这条街道叫什么呢?”
And they say, "Well, streets don't have names. 他们会说,“啊,街道是没有名字的。
Blocks have names. 街区才有名字。
Just look at Google Maps here. There is block 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19. 看一下这张谷歌地图,这里有14,15,16,17,18,19街区。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎;
All of these blocks have names. 这些街区都有名字。
The streets are just the unnamed spaces in between the blocks. 街道只不过是街区之间那些未命名的空间。
And you say then, "Okay, then how do you know your home address?" 那你会说了,“好吧,那你怎么写你的家庭住址呢?”
He said, "Well, easy, this is District Eight. 他说,“嗨,简单,这里是第八区,
There is block 17, house number One." 17街区,一号房屋。”
You say, "Okay. But walking around the neighborhood , 你说,“好吧,但是在邻里四周转转,
neighborhood:n.附近;地区;街坊;adj.附近的;
I noticed that the house numbers don't go in order." 我发现房屋号码不是按顺序排的。”
He says, "Of course they do. They go in the order in which they were built. 他说,“当然不是。他们是按他们建造的时间顺序来排序的。
The first house ever built on a block is house number one. 街区里第一所建造的房子是一号房屋。
The second house ever built is house number two. 第二所建造的房子是二号房屋。
Third is house number three. It's easy. It's obvious ." 第三所是三号房屋。很简单,很明显。”
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
So, I love that sometimes we need to go to the opposite side of the world to realize assumptions we didn't even know we had, and realize that the opposite of them may also be true. 所以,我认为有时候我们需要 去世界的另一端 去验证那些我们不以为意的偏见, 去验证我们偏见的反面可能也是正确的。
assumptions:n.假定;假设;承担;获得;(assumption的复数)
So, for example, there are doctors in China who believe that it's their job to keep you healthy. 例如,中国的医生 认为保持你的健康是他们的职责。
So, any month you are healthy you pay them, and when you're sick you don't have to pay them because they failed at their job. They get rich when you're healthy, not sick. 所以,你健康的时候你得付钱给他们, 而当你生病的时候你不需要付钱给他们,因为他们 在他们的工作上失职了。他们在你健康而不是生病的时候赚钱。
(Applause) (掌声)
In most music we think of the "one" 在大多数音乐中我们认为第一拍
as the downbeat , the beginning of the musical phrase. One, two three four. 是强拍,是音阶的开始。一,二,三,四。
downbeat:n.强拍;下降;adj.悲观的;不强烈的;
But in West African music the "one" 但在非洲西部音乐中,第一拍
is thought of as the end of the phrase, like the period at the end of a sentence. 被认为是音阶的结束, 就像是句子末尾的句号。
So, you can hear it not just in the phrasing, but the way they count off their music. 因此,你不但可以在音阶中,而且可以从他们打节奏的方法上听到。
count off:n.(点算后)分出;[口令]报数;
Two, three, four, one. 二,三,四,一。
And this map is also accurate . 而这张地图也是正确的。
accurate:adj.精确的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
There is a saying that whatever true thing you can say about India, the opposite is also true. 有个谚语说,无论你说什么关于印度的真理, 反过来它也是正确的。
So, let's never forget, whether at TED, or anywhere else, that whatever brilliant ideas you have or hear, that the opposite may also be true. 所以,我们永远不要忘记,无论在TED,或其他任何地方, 无论你有了或听到了什么精妙的思想, 那反面可能也是正确的。
Domo arigato gozaimashita. 谢谢。(日语)
Domo:n.事业有成而求舒适生活的职业人士; arigato:int.(日)谢谢;