返回首页

DeeyahKhan_2016X-_关于欧洲回教孩子,我们所不知道的事_

When I was a child,I knew I had superpowers . 小时候,我知道我有超能力。
superpowers:n.超级大国;超能力;超级强权;(superpower的复数形式)
That's right. 没错。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I thought I was absolutely amazing because I could understand and relate to the feelings of brown people, like my grandfather, a conservative Muslim guy. 我觉得我超厉害,因为我可以了解 并同理棕色人种的感受。 像我的祖父, 一个保守的穆斯林家伙。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; conservative:adj.保守的;n.保守派,守旧者;
And also, I could understand my Afghan mother, my Pakistani father, not so religious but laid-back , fairly liberal . 此外,我能了解我的阿富汗母亲、 我的巴基斯坦父亲, 他没有那么虔诚, 而是比较轻鬆自由的。
Afghan:n.阿富汗人;阿富汗语;adj.阿富汗的;阿富汗人的; Pakistani:adj.巴基斯坦的;n.巴基斯坦人; religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑; laid-back:adj.懒散的;悠闲的;闲散的; fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; liberal:adj.宽宏大度的; n.理解且尊重他人意见的人;
And of course, I could understand and relate to the feelings of white people. 当然,我也能 了解跟同理白人的感受,
The white Norwegians of my country. 我的国家中的挪威白人。
Norwegians:n.挪威人(Norwegian的复数);
You know, white, brown, whatever — 你知道的,白色、棕色、任何颜色
I loved them all. 我通通都爱,
I understood them all, even if they didn't always understand each other; they were all my people. 我通通都了解, 即使他们不见得都可以了解彼此; 他们是我的同胞。
My father, though,was always really worried. 不过,我父亲总是非常担心。
He kept saying that even with the best education, 他不断说,即使有受最好的教育,
I was not going to get a fair shake . 我也不会得到平等待遇。
get a fair shake:一视同仁;
I would still face discrimination , according to him. 据他所说,我仍然会面对歧视。
discrimination:n.歧视;区别,辨别;识别力; according to:根据,据说;
And that the only way to be accepted by white people would be to become famous. 唯一能被白人接受的方式, 就是成名。
Now, mind you, he had this conversation with me when I was seven years old. 提醒各位,他是在我七岁 时跟我说这些的。
So while I'm seven years old, he said, "Look, so it's either got to be sports, or it's got to be music." 所以,当我七岁时,他说: 「听着,你的选择 若不是运动,就是音乐。」
He didn't know anything about sports — bless him — so it was music. 他对运动一窍不通 ──保佑他──所以就是音乐了。
So when I was seven years old, he gathered all my toys, all my dolls, and he threw them all away. 所以当我七岁时,他把我所有的 玩具、娃娃都收集在一起, 然后全部丢掉。
In exchange he gave me a crappy little Casio keyboard and — 做为交换,他给我一个 很烂的小卡西欧电子琴,以及……
exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换; crappy:adj.蹩脚的;糟糕的;没价值的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah. And singing lessons. 是啊。以及歌唱课。
And he forced me, basically , to practice for hours and hours every single day. 基本上,他强迫我每天 不断练习好几个钟头。
basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
Very quickly, he also had me performing for larger and larger audiences,and bizarrely , I became almost a kind of poster child for Norwegian multiculturalism . 很快的,他也让我在 越来越多的观众面前演出。 奇怪的是,我几乎变成了一种 挪威多文化主义的模范人物。
performing:adj.表演的;演奏的;v.做;执行;演出;运转(perform的现在分词) bizarrely:adv.奇形怪状地;怪诞地; poster child:n.(为慈善等目的)出现在海报上的儿童;代表人物;典型; multiculturalism:n.多元文化论;
I felt very proud, of course. 当然,我感到很骄傲。
Because even the newspapers at this point were starting to write nice things about brown people, so I could feel that my superpower was growing. 因为即使在这个时期的报纸, 也开始写些关于棕色人种的好话, 所以我可以感到我的超能力在成长。
So when I was 12 years old,walking home from school, 我十二岁时,从学校走路回家,
I took a little detour because I wanted to buy my favorite sweets called "salty feet." 我绕了路, 因为我想买我最喜欢的 甜点「盐脚」。
detour:v.使…绕道而行;绕道;迂回;n.绕道;便道;
I know they sound kind of awful, but I absolutely love them. 我知道这名称听起来很糟, 但我真的很爱吃它。
They're basically these little salty licorice bits in the shape of feet. 基本上,它是盐味甘草块, 做成脚的形状。
licorice:n.欧亚甘草;甘草汁;甘草糖(等于liquorice);
And now that I say it out loud, 现在我大声说出来,我才发现
I realize how terrible that sounds, but be that as it may, 它的名称听起来多糟, 但即便如此,
I absolutely love them. 我还是非常喜欢吃它。
So on my way into the store, there was this grown white guy in the doorway blocking my way. 当我要进入这家店的时候, 有个成年白人在门口挡住我的路。
doorway:n.门口;途径;
So I tried to walk around him, and as I did that, he stopped me and he was staring at me, and he spit in my face, and he said, "Get out of my way you little black bitch , you little Paki bitch , go back home where you came from." 我试着绕过他, 当我这么做的时候,他阻止了我。 他瞪着我,他朝我的脸吐口水,他说: 「滚一边去, 你这个小黑贱人, 你这个小巴基斯坦贱人, 滚回你的老家去。」
staring:adj.凝视的,目不转睛的;显眼的;v.凝视;盯着看;显眼;(stare的现在分词) bitch:n.泼妇;讨厌的女人;棘手的事;难办的事;怨言;v.挖苦;(背后)说坏话
I was absolutely horrified . 我完全吓坏了。
horrified:adj.惊骇的;带有恐怖感的;v.惊骇(horrify的过去式和过去分词);使…战悚;
I was staring at him. 我直瞪着他,
I was too afraid to wipe the spit off my face, even as it was mixing with my tears. 我害怕到无法把脸上的口水擦掉, 那口水还掺杂了我的眼泪。
wipe:v.擦;抹;拭;消除;n.擦;拭;揩;(湿)抹布; mixing:n.混合;混频;录音;v.混合,掺和,融合;调配;配制;相容;(mix的现在分词)
I remember looking around,hoping that any minute now, a grown-up is going to come and make this guy stop. 我还记得我左顾右看,希望马上 有个成人出现来阻止这个家伙。
But instead, people kept hurrying past me and pretended not to see me. 结果却是,人们很快走过我旁边, 假装没看见我。
I was very confused because I was thinking, well, "My white people, come on! 我很困惑,因为我在想: 「我的白人同胞,快点!
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
Where are they? What's going on? 他们到哪去了?怎么回事?
How come they're not coming and rescuing me?" 为什么他们都不来救我?」
rescuing:v.营救;援救;抢救;(rescue的现在分词)
So, needless to say,I didn't buy the sweets. 不用说,我没买到甜点。
needless:adj.不必要的,不需要的;多余的,无用的;
I just ran home as fast as I could. 我只是尽快跑回家。
Things were still OK, though, I thought. 不过,我心想,一切都还好。
As time went on,the more successful I became, 随时间过去,我变得更成功,
I eventually started also attracting harassment from brown people. 我后来也开始引来棕色人种的骚扰。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; harassment:n.骚扰;烦恼;
Some men in my parent's community felt that it was unacceptable and dishonorable for a woman to be involved in music and to be so present in the media . 我父母的社区内,有些人觉得, 一个女人踏入音乐圈 并出现在媒体上,是不可接受且可耻的。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; unacceptable:adj.不能接受(或允许、同意)的; dishonorable:adj.不名誉的;无耻的; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
So very quickly, I was starting to become attacked at my own concerts. 所以很快地,我开始 在我自己的音乐会上被攻击。
I remember one of the concerts, 我记得在其中一场音乐会中,
I was onstage , I lean into the audience and the last thing I see is a young brown face, and the next thing I know is some sort of chemical is thrown in my eyes and I remember I couldn't really see and my eyes were watering but I kept singing anyway. 我在台上,靠向观众, 我看见的最后一个画面,是一张年轻的棕色面孔, 接下来,我只知道有 某种化学物被泼到我眼睛里, 我记得我什么都看不见, 眼睛满是泪水, 可是我还是继续唱下去。
onstage:adj.台上的;台上演出的;adv.上台;上场; lean:v.前俯(或后仰):倾斜:adj.肉少的:难以赚钱的:贫乏的:n.瘦肉: chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的;
I was spit in the face in the streets of Oslo, this time by brown men. 在奥斯陆的街上,我被当面吐口水, 这次吐口水的是棕色人种。
They even tried to kidnap me at one point. 有次他们甚至还试图绑架我。
kidnap:v.绑架;诱拐;拐骗;
The death threats were endless . 死亡威胁更是没完没了。
endless:adj.无止境的;连续的;环状的;漫无目的的;
I remember one older bearded guy stopped me in the street one time, and he said, "The reason I hate you so much is because you make our daughters think they can do whatever they want." 记得有次,有个留胡子的老人 在街上拦住我, 他说:「我如此恨你的理由, 是因为你让我们的女儿认为, 她们可以做任何她们想做的事。」
A younger guy warned me to watch my back. 有个年轻人警告我要自己小心,
He said music is un-Islamic and the job of whores , and if you keep this up,you are going to be raped and your stomach will be cut out so that another whore like you will not be born. 他说,音乐不符合伊斯兰教规,而且是妓女的工作。 如果你继续这么做,你就会被强暴, 你的肚子会被切开,这样才不会有 另一个像你一样的妓女出生。
whores:n.娼妓;妓女;乱搞男女关系的女人;破鞋;(whore的第三人称单数和复数) raped:v.强奸;强暴(rape的过去分词和过去式)
Again, I was so confused. 同样的,我感到困惑。
I couldn't understand what was going on. 我无法了解发生了什么事。
My brown people now starting to treat me like this — how come? 我的棕色同胞开始这样子 对待我……怎么会这样?
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
Instead of bridging the worlds,the two worlds, 我不再是将两个世界连结起来,
I felt like I was falling between my two worlds. 我觉得我反而是落在两个世界中间。
I suppose , for me, spit was kryptonite . 我想,对我来说,口水是氪星石。
suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想: kryptonite:n.氪星石;
So by the time I was 17 years old, the death threats were endless, and the harassment was constant. 当我十七岁时, 死亡威胁没完没了, 骚扰是司空见惯。
It got so bad, at one point my mother sat me down and said, "Look, we can no longer protect you, we can no longer keep you safe, so you're going to have to go." 情况变得很糟, 有次我母亲要我坐下,说: 「听着,我们无法再保护你, 无法再确保你的安全, 所以你得离开。」
So I bought a one-way ticket to London, 所以我买了去伦敦的单程票,
one-way:adj.单程的;单行道的;单方面的;
I packed my suitcase and I left. 我打包了行李,便离开了。
suitcase:n.[轻]手提箱;衣箱;
My biggest heartbreak at that point was that nobody said anything. 那时最让我心碎的是, 没有人说什么。
heartbreak:n.心碎;伤心事;
I had a very public exit from Norway. 我离开挪威时是非常公开的。
My brown people, my white people — nobody said anything. 我的棕色同胞,我的白色同胞── 没有人说什么。
Nobody said, "Hold on, this is wrong. 没有人说:「等等,这是错的。
Support this girl, protect this girl, because she is one of us." 支持这个女孩,保护这个女孩, 因为她是我们的一份子。」
Nobody said that. 没有人那样说。
Instead, I felt like —you know at the airport , on the baggage carousel you have these different suitcases going around and around, and there's always that one suitcase left at the end, the one that nobody wants, the one that nobody comes to claim . 反之,我觉得……你们知道,在机场 在行李传送带上 有各种不同的行李箱, 不断转呀转, 最后总是有一个行李箱被留下来, 没有人要的行李箱, 没有人来领的行李箱。
airport:n.机场;航空港; baggage:n.行李;[交]辎重(军队的); carousel:n.旋转木马;行李传送带; suitcases:n.(旅行用的)手提箱;(suitcase的复数) claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得;
I felt like that. 我的感觉就是那样。
I'd never felt so alone. 我从来没有感到如此孤单,
I'd never felt so lost. 我从来没有感到如此迷失。
So, after coming to London, 到了伦敦之后,我终于
I did eventually resume my music career . 又继续展开我的音乐职涯。
resume:n.简历;v.继续;重返; career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
Different place, but unfortunately the same old story. 不同的地方,但不幸的是, 同样的故事又上演。
unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
I remember a message sent to me saying that I was going to be killed and that rivers of blood were going to flow and that I was going to be raped many times before I died. 我记得收到一个讯息, 说我会被杀掉, 到时会血流成河, 且我在死前会被强暴很多次。 我必须要说,这时,
By this point, I have to say, 我其实已经习惯了这种讯息了,
I was actually getting used to messages like this, but what became different was that now they started threatening my family. 但开始变得不同的是, 这些讯息开始威胁我的家人。
So once again, I packed my suitcase, 所以再一次,我打包行李,
I left music and I moved to the US. 离开了音乐,搬到美国。
I'd had enough. 我受够了。
I didn't want to have anything to do with this anymore. 我不想再和这些事 扯上任何关系了。
And I was certainly not going to be killed for something that wasn't even my dream — it was my father's choice. 我肯定不要为了 根本不属于我的梦想送命, 那是我父亲幫我选择的梦想。
So I kind of got lost. 所以我有点迷失了,
I kind of fell apart. 我有点崩溃了。
But I decided that what I wanted to do is spend the next however many years of my life supporting young people and to try to be there in some small way, whatever way that I could. 但我决定,我想要做的是 是把我人生剩下不论多少年的时间, 用来支持年轻人, 试着用某种微小的方式 陪在他们身边,用任何我能做到的方式。
I started volunteering for various organizations that were working with young Muslims inside of Europe. 我开始自愿参与各种致力于 协助欧洲年轻回教徒的组织。
volunteering:v.自愿做;义务做;无偿做;当志愿兵(volunteer的现在分词) organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
And, to my surprise, what I found was so many of these young people were suffering and struggling. 让我惊讶的是,我发现 有这么多的年轻人在受苦和挣扎。
They were facing so many problems with their families and their communities who seemed to care more about their honor and their reputation than the happiness and the lives of their own kids. 他们在家庭中与社区中 都面临如此多问题, 这些家庭与社区似乎比较 在乎它们的榮耀和名声, 而非它们自己孩子的幸福及生活。
communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
I started feeling like maybe I wasn't so alone, maybe I wasn't so weird . 我开始觉得,也许我没有这么孤单, 也许我没有这么怪异。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
Maybe there are more of my people out there. 也许外面还有更多跟我一样的同胞。
The thing is, what most people don't understand is that there are so many of us growing up in Europe who are not free to be ourselves. 重点是,大部份人不了解的是, 我们当中有很多人都是在欧洲长大, 却没有做自己的自由。
We're not allowed to be who we are. 我们不被允许做真正的自己。
We are not free to marry or to be in relationships with people that we choose. 我们没有选择结婚 或交往对象的自由。
We can't even pick our own career. 我们甚至不能挑选职業。
This is the norm in the Muslim heartlands of Europe. 这是欧洲回教心脏地带的规范。
norm:n.规范;标准;定额;常态;v.规范;规定; heartlands:n.中心地带;心脏地区;
Even in the freest societies in the world, we're not free. 即使在世上最自由的社会中, 我们也没有自由。
Our lives, our dreams, our future does not belong to us, it belongs to our parents and their community. 我们的生活、梦想、未来都不属于我们。 而是属于我们的父母 及他们的社区。
I found endless stories of young people who are lost to all of us, who are invisible to all of us but who are suffering,and they are suffering alone. 我听到无数的故事,都是年轻人 被我们所有人漠视、 被我们所有人忽视, 但他们在受苦,他们在独自受苦。
invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
Kids we are losing to forced marriages, to honor-based violence and abuse . 这些孩子败给了强迫的婚姻、 以榮耀为基础的暴力和虐待。
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲; abuse:n.滥用;虐待;辱骂;弊端;恶习,陋习;v.滥用;虐待;辱骂;
Eventually, I realized after several years of working with these young people, that I will not be able to keep running. 在协助这些年轻人很多年之后, 最终,我了解到,我不能继续逃跑。
I can't spend the rest of my life being scared and hiding and that I'm actually going to have to do something. 我不能把我剩下的人生 用在害怕与躲藏, 我真的得要做点什么。
And I also realized that my silence, our silence, allows abuse like this to continue. 我也了解到,我的沉默, 我们的沉默,允许这样的虐待继续发生。
So I decided that I wanted to put my childhood superpower to some use by trying to make people on the different sides of these issues understand what it's like to be a young person stuck between your family and your country. 所以我决定要把我童年的 超能力拿出来用, 试着让这些议题各方的人都能了解 身为一个卡在自己家庭与国家 之间的年轻人,是什么滋味。
childhood:n.童年;幼年;孩童时期 issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数) young person:n.(14至17岁的)青少年;
So I started making films, and I started telling these stories. 所以我开始拍电影, 我开始说故事。
And I also wanted people to understand the deadly consequences of us not taking these problems seriously. 我也希望人们了解, 若我们不正视这些问题, 会有多致命的后果。
deadly:adj.致命的;非常的;死一般的;adv.非常;如死一般地; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
So the first film I made was about Banaz. 所以我的首部电影是芭娜思的故事。
She was a 17-year-old 她是个身在伦敦的
Kurdish girl in London. 十七岁庫德族女孩,
Kurdish:n.库尔德语;adj.库尔德人的;
She was obedient , she did whatever her parents wanted. 她很顺从,完全遵照 她父母的意思做事。
obedient:adj.顺从的,服从的;孝顺的;
She tried to do everything right. 她试着把所有事做对。
She married some guy that her parents chose for her, even though he beat and raped her constantly . 她嫁给了她父母选的男人, 即使他常常打她、强暴她。
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地;
And when she tried to go to her family for help, they said, "Well, you got to go back and be a better wife." 当她试图向家人求救,他们说: 「嗯,你得回去当个更好的妻子。」
Because they didn't want a divorced daughter on their hands because, of course, that would bring dishonor on the family. 因为他们不希望自己 有个离婚的女儿, 因为,当然,那会让 这个家庭面子扫地。
She was beaten so badly her ears would bleed , and when she finally left and she found a young man that she chose and she fell in love with, the community and the family found out and she disappeared . 她被打得很兇,连耳朵都在流血, 当她终于离开, 她遇到了一个年轻人, 她自己选择的,她爱上这个年轻人, 她的社区和家庭发现了, 然后她消失了。
bleed:v.流血;失血;放掉;散开;n.[印]出血版 finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; disappeared:adj.消失的;消失了的;v.消失,失踪;(disappear的过去式和过去分词)
She was found three months later. 三个月后她被找到。
She'd been stuffed into a suitcase and buried underneath the house. 她被塞在一个行李箱中, 埋在房子下面。
stuffed:adj.饱;装满的;v.填满;装满;给…装馅;(stuff的过去分词和过去式) underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
She had been strangled ,she had been beaten to death by three men, three cousins, on the orders of her father and uncle. 她被三个男人──都是表兄弟── 勒住、活活打死, 是她的父亲与叔叔下的命令。
strangled:adj.哽塞的; v.勒死;
The added tragedy of Banaz's story is that she had gone to the police in England five times asking for help, telling them that she was going to be killed by her family. 芭娜思的故事不只如此, 更惨的是,她曾向 英国警察五度寻求协助, 她告诉警察说她的家人要杀她,
tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
The police didn't believe her so they didn't do anything. 警察不相信她, 所以没采取任何行动。
And the problem with this is that not only are so many of our kids facing these problems within their families and within their families' communities, but they're also meeting misunderstandings and apathy in the countries that they grow up in. 这里的问题是, 我们的孩子当中, 有很多人都在面临这些问题, 在他们自己的家庭中、 在他们家庭的社区中, 而且他们还会在他们生长的 国家中,遇到误解和冷淡。
misunderstandings:误区; apathy:n.冷漠,无兴趣,漠不关心;无感情;
When their own families betray them, they look to the rest of us, and when we don't understand, we lose them. 当他们自己的家庭背叛他们, 他们便仰赖我们其他人, 当我们不能了解时, 我们就会失去他们。
betray:v.出卖;泄露(机密);辜负;
So while I was making this film, several people said to me, "Well, Deeyah, you know, this is just their culture, this is just what those people do to their kids and we can't really interfere ." 所以当我在拍这部电影时, 好几个人跟我说: 「嗯,狄雅,你知道的, 这就是他们的文化, 这些人就是这样对他们的孩子的, 我们无法干涉。」
interfere:v.干涉;干预;介入;
I can assure you being murdered is not my culture. 我可以向你们保证, 被谋杀不是我的文化。
assure:vt.保证;担保;使确信;弄清楚;
You know? 你们知道吗?
And surely people who look like me, young women who come from backgrounds like me, should be subject to the same rights, the same protections as anybody else in our country, why not? 当然,外表像我这样的人, 背景与我相似的年轻女子, 应该要得到同样的权利, 受到同样的保护, 和我们国家中的其他人一样,为什么不?
So, for my next film, 所以,在我的下一部电影,
I wanted to try and understand why some of our young Muslim kids in Europe are drawn to extremism and violence. 我想要试着了解 为什么我们一些在欧洲的回教孩子 会走向极端主义和暴力。
extremism:n.极端主义(尤指政治上的极右或极左);极端性;过激主义;
But with that topic, 但要做这个主题,
I also recognized that I was going to have to face my worst fear: the brown men with beards. 我也知道我将会要 面对我最深的恐惧: 留胡子的棕色人种。
recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
The same men, or similar men, to the ones that have hounded me for most of my life. 也就是和那些在我人生大部份时候 都纠缠着我的人一样或类似的人,
hounded:v.追踪;追逐;纠缠;(hound的过去分词和过去式)
Men that I've been afraid of most of my life. 我人生大部份时候都在害怕的人,
Men that I've also deeply disliked, for many, many years. 许多、许多年来我一直都 深深厌恶的人。
So I spent the next two years interviewing convicted terrorists, jihadis and former extremists . 所以我花了接下来两年的时间, 访问被定罪的恐怖份子、 圣战士、和前极端份子。
interviewing:v.对(某人)进行面试;(媒体)采访,访问;(interview的现在分词) convicted:v.定罪;宣判…有罪;(convict的过去式和过去分词) jihadis:兰圣战分子; extremists:n.极端主义者;极端分子;过激分子;(extremist的复数)
What I already knew, what was very obvious already, was that religion, politics ,Europe's colonial baggage, also Western foreign policy failures of recent years, were all a part of the picture. 我已经知道的是, 已经非常明显的是, 宗教、政治、欧洲的殖民包袱、 以及近年来西方 在外交政策上的失败, 都是一部份的成因。
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) colonial:n.殖民地居民;adj.殖民地的,殖民的; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
But what I was more interested in finding out was what are the human, what are the personal reasons why some of our young people are susceptible to groups like this. 但我想要了解的是人、 个人的原因、 为什么有些年轻人容易 受到这类团体的影响?
personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; susceptible:adj.易受影响的;易感动的;容许…的;n.易得病的人;
And what really surprised me was that I found wounded human beings. 真正让我惊讶的是, 我找到的是受伤的人类。
wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式)
Instead of the monsters that I was looking for, that I was hoping to find —quite frankly because it would have been very satisfying — 而不是我在寻求、希望找到的怪物。 非常坦白说,找到怪物 是很让人满意的,
I found broken people. 但我找到的是破碎的人。
Just like Banaz, 就像芭娜思,
I found that these young men were torn apart from trying to bridge the gaps between their families and the countries that they were born in. 我发现这些年轻人四分五裂, 因为他们试着衔接起 他们生长家庭与国家之间的裂口。
gaps:n.差异,缺口;缝隙(gap的复数形式);v.裂开;使豁裂(gap的第三人称单数形式);
And what I also learned is that extremist groups, terrorist groups are taking advantage of these feelings of our young people and channeling that — cynically —channeling that toward violence. 我也学到,最极端的 团体、恐怖团体, 在利用我们年轻人的这些感受, 并无所顾忌地将之导向暴力。
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点: channeling:n.通道作用;[电子]沟道作用;掏槽; cynically:adv.爱嘲笑地;冷笑地;
'"Come to us," they say. 他们说:「来我们这里。」
'" Reject both sides, your family and your country because they reject you. 「拒绝你的家庭和 你的国家,两边都拒绝, 因为它们都拒绝你。
Reject:v.排斥;拒收;拒绝接受;不予考虑;n.废品;次品;不合格者;被剔除者;
For your family, their honor is more important than you and for your country, a real Norwegian, Brit or a French person will always be white and never you." 对你的家人而言, 他们的榮誉比你还重要, 对你的国家而言, 真正的挪威人、英国人、法国人 永远都会是白人,不可能会是你。
Brit:n.小鲱鱼;海中微生物;
They're also promising our young people the things that they crave : significance , heroism ,a sense of belonging and purpose, a community that loves and accepts them. 他们也向我们的年轻人保证 能得到他们渴求的东西: 重要性、英雄主义、归属感、目的、 一个爱他们且接受他们的社群。
crave:v.渴望;恳求; significance:n.意义;重要性;意思; heroism:n.英勇,英雄气概;英雄行为;勇敢的事迹;
They make the powerless feel powerful. 他们让没有力量的人
The invisible and the silent are finally seen and heard. 感觉充满力量,让不被看见的人、沉默的人, 终于被看见、被听见。
This is what they're doing for our young people. 这是他们在对我们的年轻人做的事。
Why are these groups doing this for our young people and not us? 为什么这些团体这么做的对象 是我们的年轻人而非我们?
The thing is, 重点是,
I'm not trying to justify or excuse any of the violence. 我并不是在试着正当化 任何暴力,或幫它找藉口。
justify:v.证明合法;整理版面;替…辩护;
What I am trying to say is that we have to understand why some of our young people are attracted to this. 我想说的是,我们得要了解, 为什么有些我们的年轻人会被吸引。
I would like to also show you, actually — these are childhood photos of some of the guys in the film. 我也想给各位看,其实, 这些照片是电影中 一些人小时候的照片,
What really struck me is that so many of them — 让我感到震撼的是,这么多人──
I never would have thought this — but so many of them have absent or abusive fathers. 我本来根本不可能料到, 但是有这么多人的父亲都不在身边或会虐待他们,
absent:adj.缺席的;缺少的;心不在焉的;茫然的;v.使缺席; abusive:adj.辱骂的;滥用的;虐待的;
And several of these young guys ended up finding caring and compassionate father figures within these extremist groups. 这些年轻人中有好几个, 最后是在这些极端团体中, 找到如父亲般关爱、慈悲的人。
compassionate:adj.慈悲的;富于同情心的;vt.同情;怜悯;
I also found men brutalized by racist violence, but who found a way to stop feeling like victims by becoming violent themselves. 我也发现有些人 被种族暴力残酷对待, 为了不再感觉像是受害者, 他们的方法是让自己变暴力。
brutalized:v.使丧失人类情感;使变残忍;残酷对待;(brutalize的过去式和过去分词) racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的;
In fact, I found something, to my horror , that I recognized. 事实上,我发现我熟悉的东西, 这让我感到恐怖。
horror:n.恐惧;厌恶;震惊;对某事物的强烈畏惧(或憎恨);
I found the same feelings that I felt as a 17-year-old as I fled from Norway. 我发现了和我十七岁从挪威逃走时 感受到的同样感觉,
fled:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的过去分词和过去式)
The same confusion , the same sorrow, the same feeling of being betrayed and not belonging to anyone. 同样的困惑、同样的悲伤、 同样的被背叛感、 同样的没有归属感。
confusion:n.困惑;混淆;混同;困窘; betrayed:v.出卖;泄露机密;辜负;对…不忠;(betray的过去分词和过去式)
The same feeling of being lost and torn between cultures. 同样感到自己在文化中 迷失且被撕裂。
Having said that, 虽然这样说,
I did not choose destruction , 但我当时没有选择毁灭,
destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
I chose to pick up a camera instead of a gun. 我选择拿起摄影机而不是枪。
And the reason I did that is because of my superpower. 我会那么做的理由, 是因为我的超能力,
I could see that understanding is the answer, instead of violence. 我能够看到答案 应该是了解,而非暴力。
Seeing human beings with all their virtues and all their flaws instead of continuing the caricatures : the us and them, the villains and victims. 去看见人类, 看见他们所有的美德和瑕疵, 而不是继续讽刺漫画式的描述: 我们与他们、坏人与受害者。
virtues:n.优点,贞操;美德; flaws:n.[材]缺陷;[力]裂缝(flaw的复数);v.有裂纹;使有裂缝(flaw的单三形式); caricatures:n.漫画;讽刺画;漫画手法;vt.画成漫画讽刺; villains:n.恶棍;反派角色(villain的复数);
I'd also finally come to terms with the fact that my two cultures didn't have to be on a collision course but instead became a space where I found my own voice. 我最后也让自己妥协接受事实, 我的两种文化不必一定要在相撞的轨道上, 而是变成一个空间, 在那我可以找到我自己的声音。
come to terms with:达成协议;让步; collision:n.抵触;碰撞(或相撞)事故;
I stopped feeling like I had to pick a side, but this took me many, many years. 我不再觉得我得要选边站, 但这花了我很多很多年才做到。
There are so many of our young people today who are struggling with these same issues, and they're struggling with this alone. 现今有如此多我们的年轻人 为了同样这些议题在挣扎着, 而且他们是孤独地在挣扎着。
And this leaves them open like wounds . 这让他们的伤口像是打开一样,
wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数)
And for some, the worldview of radical Islam becomes the infection that festers in these open wounds. 对一些人而言,伊斯兰的激进世界观 会感染他们的开放伤口且化脓溃烂。
worldview:n.世界观; radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的; infection:n.感染;传染;(身体某部位的)感染;传染病; festers:vi.溃烂;化脓;vt.使…溃烂;使…痛苦;使…恶化;n.溃烂;脓疮,脓疱;
There's an African proverb that says, "If the young are not initiated into the village, they will burn it down just to feel its warmth." 有句非洲谚语说: 「如果年轻人没有加入村落, 他们会把村落烧毁, 只为了感受它的温暖。」
proverb:n.谚语,格言;众所周知的人或事; initiated:v.开始;发起;创始;使了解;传授;吸收;(initiate的过去式和过去分词)
I would like to ask — to Muslim parents and Muslim communities, will you love and care for your children without forcing them to meet your expectations ? 我想要请求── 回教父母和回教社区, 你们能否去关爱你们的孩子, 不要强迫他们去达成你们的期望?
expectations:n.预料;预期;期待;希望;指望;(expectation的复数)
Can you choose them instead of your honor? 你们能否选择他们而非你们的榮耀?
Can you understand why they're so angry and alienated when you put your honor before their happiness? 你们能否了解,为何当你们把 自己的榮耀摆在他们的 幸福之前时,他们会如此愤怒和疏远?
alienated:adj.疏远的;被疏远的;v.使疏离(alienate的过去式);
Can you try to be a friend to your child so that they can trust you and want to share with you their experiences, rather than having to seek it somewhere else? 你们能否试着成为 你们孩子的朋友,让他们能信任你们, 想要与你们分享他们的经验, 而不是去其他地方寻求这些?
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求;
And to our young people tempted by extremism, can you acknowledge that your rage is fueled by pain? 至于我们那些被极端主义 诱惑的年轻人们, 你们能否承认你们的怒火是因为痛苦而起?
tempted:adj.想做…的; v.引诱; (tempt的过去分词和过去式)
Will you find the strength to resist those cynical old men who want to use your blood for their own profits ? 你们能否找到力量 来抵抗那些愤世嫉俗的老人, 想要利用你们的鲜血 来谋取自身利益的那些老人?
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂; profits:n.利润; v.获益; (profit的第三人称单数和复数)
Can you find a way to live? 你们能否找到活下去的方式?
Can you see that the sweetest revenge is for you to live a happy, full and free life? 你们能否看见,最甜美的复仇 其实是你们过着 幸福、圆满、自由的人生?
revenge:n.报复;复仇;v.报复;替…报仇;洗雪;
A life defined by you and nobody else. 这人生是由你自己而非他人定义的。
defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确;
Why do you want to become just another dead Muslim kid? 为什么你们会想要变成 另一个死掉的回教孩子?
And for the rest of us, when will we start listening to our young people? 至于我们其他人,我们何时会 开始倾听我们的年轻人?
How can we support them in redirecting their pain into something more constructive ? 我们如何支持他们 去把他们的痛苦导向 其他更有建设性的方向?
redirecting:重新定向; constructive:adj.建设性的;推定的;构造上的;有助益的;
They think we don't like them. 他们认为我们不喜欢他们。
They think we don't care what happens to them. 他们认为我们不在乎 他们发生什么事。
They think we don't accept them. 他们认为我们不接受他们。
Can we find a way to make them feel differently? 我们能否找出方法 让他们有不同的感受?
What will it take for us to see them and notice them before they become either the victims or the perpetrators of violence? 要花什么代价, 才能让我们在他们变成 暴力受害者或让暴力持续的人之前, 就看见他们、注意到他们?
perpetrators:n.作恶者;行凶者;犯罪者;(perpetrator的复数)
Can we make ourselves care about them and consider them to be our own? 我们能否让我们自己去关心他们、 把他们当成自己人?
And not just be outraged when the victims of violence look like ourselves? 且当暴力受害者看起来 像我们自己时,不要被激怒?
outraged:adj.义愤填膺的;愤慨的,气愤的;v.使愤怒(outrage的过去式,过去分词);
Can we find a way to reject hatred and heal the divisions between us? 我们能否找到方法来抵抗仇恨、 治愈我们之间的分化?
hatred:n.仇恨;憎恨;厌恶; heal:v.复原;治疗(病人);使又愉快起来;(使)结束 divisions:n.分开;分隔;分配;除(法);不和;差异;(division的复数)
The thing is we cannot afford to give up on each other or on our kids, even if they've given up on us. 重点是,我们承担不起 放弃彼此或我们的孩子, 即使他们已经放弃我们。
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
We are all in this together. 我们全都不能置身事外。
And in the long term, revenge and violence will not work against extremists. 长期来看,用复仇和暴力 来对抗极端主义份子是不可行的。
Terrorists want us to huddle in our houses in fear, closing our doors and our hearts. 恐怖主义希望我们恐惧地 蜷缩在我们的房子里, 关上我们的门及我们的心。
huddle:vt.把...挤在一起; vi.蜷缩; n.拥挤;
They want us to tear open more wounds in our societies so that they can use them to spread their infection more widely. 他们希望我们扯开 我们社会中的更多伤口, 这样他们就可以用这些伤口 来把他们的感染散播出去。
They want us to become like them: intolerant , hateful and cruel. 他们希望我们变得更像他们一样: 不宽容、仇恨、残酷。
intolerant:adj.无法忍受的;偏狭的; hateful:adj.可憎的;可恨的;可恶的;
The day after the Paris attacks, a friend of mine sent this photo of her daughter. 巴黎攻击的隔天, 我的一个朋友把这张照片 寄给她的女儿。
This is a white girl and an Arab girl. 是个白种女孩和阿拉伯女孩。
They're best friends. 她们是最好的朋友。
This image is the kryptonite for extremists. 对极端主义者而言, 这张影像就是氪星石。
These two little girls with their superpowers are showing the way forward towards a society that we need to build together, a society that includes and supports, rather than rejects our kids. 这两个小女孩用她们的超能力, 展示出向前迈进的道路, 通往一个我们需要共创的社会, 能容纳和支持,而非拒绝 我们的孩子的社会。
rejects:n.不良品; v.拒绝;
Thank you for listening. 谢谢倾听。
(Applause) (掌声)