|
|
DeeBoersma_2010Z-_请关注企鹅_
|
I want to talk about penguins today. |
今天,我来谈谈企鹅。 |
penguins:n.企鹅;(penguin的复数)
|
But first, I want to start by saying that we need a new operating system , for the oceans and for the Earth. |
但是首先,我想说 我们需要一个新的操作系统, 为了海洋和地球。 |
operating system:n.(计算机)操作系统;
|
When I came to the Galapagos 40 years ago, there were 3,000 people that lived in the Galapagos. |
40年前当我来到加拉帕戈斯的时候, 大约有3000人 生活在加拉帕戈斯 |
Now there are over 30,000. |
现在有超过3万的人口。 |
There were two Jeeps on Santa Cruz. |
当时的圣特鲁斯只有2辆吉普车。 |
Jeeps:n.吉普车;
|
Now, there are around a thousand trucks and buses and cars there. |
而现在,大约有1千辆卡车, 巴士和汽车。 |
So the fundamental problems that we face are overconsumption and too many people. |
所以说,我们面临的最根本问题 是过度消费和人口过剩。 |
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
|
It's the same problems in the Galapagos, except, obviously, it's worse here, in some ways, than other places. |
加拉帕戈斯存在同样的问题, 除了,很明显的, 在某种意义上,加拉帕戈斯的问题比其他地区的更严重。 |
Because we've only doubled the population of the Earth since the 1960s -- a little more than doubled -- but we have 6.7 billion people in the world, and we all like to consume . |
因为地球上的人口仅翻了一番, 自20世纪60年代起,两倍稍微多一些。 但是全世界有67亿人, 而且我们都喜欢消费。 |
consume:v.消耗;吃;毁灭;烧毁;
|
And one of the major problems that we have is our operating system is not giving us the proper feedback . |
我们的主要问题之一 是我们的操作系统 不能够给我们正常的反馈。 |
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
|
We're not paying the true environmental costs of our actions. |
我们并没有为我们的行为 付出真实的环境代价。 |
And when I came at age 22 to live on Fernandina, let me just say, that I had never camped before. |
我22岁来到芬南代生活的时候, 可以说,我从来都没有 露营过。 |
I had never lived alone for any period of time, and I'd never slept with sea lions snoring next to me all night. |
我也从来没有 一个人住过。 我更从来没有 整夜睡在打鼾的海狮身边。 |
snoring:v.打鼾;鼾声;正在打呼噜(snore的现在分词);
|
But moreover , I'd never lived on an uninhabited island. |
还有,我也从来没有生活在一个无人居住的岛屿上。 |
moreover:adv.而且;此外; uninhabited:adj.无人居住的,杳无人迹的;
|
Punta Espinosa is where I lived for over a year, and we call it uninhabited because there are no people there. |
我在蓬埃斯皮诺萨生活了一年多。 我们说它无人居住是 因为那里没有人。 |
But it's alive with life; it's hardly uninhabited. |
但是,其他的生命令它生机无限。 这不能算了无生机。 |
So a lot has happened in the last 40 years, and what I learned when I came to the Galapagos is the importance of wild places, wild things, certainly wildlife, and the amazing qualities that penguins have. |
在过去的40年中,(岛上)发生了不少的事情。 我来到加拉帕戈斯所学到的 是野地,野生的东西, 当然还有野生动物的重要性 以及企鹅身上令人赞叹的特质。 |
Penguins are real athletes : |
企鹅是真正的运动员。 |
athletes:n.运动员;身强体健的人(athlete的复数形式);
|
They can swim 173 kilometers in a day. |
它们1天能够游173公里。 |
They can swim at the same speed day and night -- that's faster than any Olympic swimmer . |
而且能保持同样的速度昼夜不息。 这比任何一位奥林匹克游泳健将都快。 |
swimmer:n.游泳者;
|
I mean, they can do like seven kilometers an hour and sustain it. |
要知道它们以七千米/小时的速度游泳, 并一直保持这个速度。 |
sustain:v.支持;支撑;遭受;证实;
|
But what is really amazing, because of this deepness here, |
但是特别令人赞叹的是,因为这里的深度, |
deepness:n.深度;浓度;
|
Emperor penguins can go down more than 500 meters and they can hold their breath for 23 minutes. |
帝企鹅能下潜 超过500米, 屏气时间长达23分钟。 |
Magellanic penguins, the ones that I work on, they can dive to about 90 meters and they can stay down for about 4.6 minutes. |
麦哲伦企鹅,也就是我在研究的, 他们能下潜约90米, 呆在那里 大约4.6分钟。 |
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
|
Humans, without fins: 90 meters, 3.5 minutes. |
人类,不带鳍,90米,3.5分钟 |
And I doubt anybody in this room could really hold their breath for 3.5 minutes. |
我怀疑这个房间里没有人 能够屏住气3.5分钟。 |
You have to train to be able to do that. |
你必须通过训练才能做到。 |
So penguins are amazing athletes. |
所以说,企鹅是最棒的运动员。 |
The other thing is, I've never met anybody that really doesn't say that they like penguins. |
另一个事情是,我从来没有见过 不喜欢企鹅的人。 |
They're comical , they walk upright , and, of course, they're diligent . |
它们很滑稽,它们直立行走, 并且,当然,它们很勤快。 |
comical:adj.滑稽的,好笑的; upright:n.立柱;adj.直立的;挺直的;竖直的;垂直的;adv.竖立着;垂直着; diligent:adj.勤勉的;用功的,费尽心血的;
|
And, more importantly, they're well-dressed . |
更重要的是,它们穿着优雅。 |
well-dressed:adj.穿着考究的;穿着入时的;
|
So they have all the criteria that people normally like. |
所以它们达到了 人们喜欢的所有标准。 |
criteria:n.标准,条件(criterion的复数); normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地;
|
But scientifically , they're amazing because they're sentinels . |
但是在科学层面上,它们令人惊叹是因为它们充当哨兵的角色。 |
scientifically:adv.系统地;合乎科学地;学问上; sentinels:n.哨兵;vt.守卫,放哨;
|
They tell us about our world in a lot of different ways, and particularly the ocean. |
它们用很多不同的方式告诉我们很多关于我们的世界的事情, 特别是,关于海洋。 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地;
|
This is a picture of a Galapagos penguin that's on the front of a little zodiac here in the Galapagos. |
这是加拉帕戈斯企鹅的照片 在加拉帕戈斯的前端 |
zodiac:n.黄道带,十二宫图;
|
And that's what I came to study. |
这也是我来研究的内容。 |
I thought I was going to study the social behavior of Galapagos penguins, but you already know penguins are rare. |
我想要学习加拉帕戈斯企鹅的社会行为, 但是你已经知道 企鹅很罕见。 |
These are the rarest penguins in the world. |
加拉帕戈斯企鹅是世界上最罕见的企鹅。 |
Why I thought I was going to be able to do that, I don't know. |
为什么我认为我能够完成呢?我也不知道。 |
But the population has changed dramatically since I was first here. |
但企鹅数量发生了巨大变化 从我第一次到这里的时候 |
dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
|
When I counted penguins for the first time and tried to do a census , we just counted all the individual beaks that we could around all these islands. |
当我第一次清点企鹅, 做企鹅数量调查的时候, 我们仅仅数了这些岛上 我们能数得所有的喙。 |
census:vt.实施统计调查;n.人口普查,人口调查; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的; beaks:n.[鸟]鸟嘴(beak的复数形式);
|
We counted around 2,000, so I don't know how many penguins there really are, but I know I can count 2,000. |
我们大约数了2000个,所以我也不知道到底有多少只企鹅, 但是我知道我能够数到2000。 |
If you go and do it now, the national parks count about 500. |
如果你现在去数的话,国家公园里 大概只有500只。 |
So we have a quarter of the penguins that we did 40 years ago. |
所以我们现在只有40年前的 四分之一。 |
And this is true of most of our living systems. |
而且,我们的生存体系大多数都是这个情况。 |
We have less than we had before, and most of them are in fairly steep decline . |
我们现在拥有的比以前少, 而且相当一大部分是急剧下降。 |
fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; steep:adj.陡峭的;不合理的;夸大的;急剧升降的;v.泡;浸;使…充满;n.峭壁;浸渍; decline:v.下降;衰退;减少;谢绝;n.下降;
|
And I want to just show you a little bit about why. |
我只是想稍微给你们展示一下这是为什么。 |
(Braying) |
(叫声) |
That's a penguin braying to tell you that it's important to pay attention to penguins. |
这是企鹅的呼喊, 告诉你 关注企鹅有多么的重要。 |
braying:n.叫声;洗泥;v.驴叫;发出刺耳的尖声;粗声粗气地说出;捣碎(bray的ing形式); pay attention to:注意
|
Most important of all, |
最重要的是, |
I didn't know what that was the first time I heard it. |
我甚至不记得是什么时候我第一次听到这样的叫声 |
And you can imagine sleeping on Fernandina your first night there and you hear this lonesome , plaintful call. |
你可以想象,当你睡在芬南代的第一个晚上, 你听到这寂寞、哀怨的叫喊。 |
lonesome:adj.寂寞的;人迹稀少的;n.自己;
|
I fell in love with penguins, and it certainly has changed the rest of my life. |
我爱上了企鹅, 这无疑改变我以后的人生。 |
What I found out I was studying is really the difference in how the Galapagos changes, the most extreme variation . |
我发现我学到的 就是加拉帕戈斯的变化是如何的不同, 最巨大的变化。 |
extreme:adj.极端的;极度的;偏激的;尽头的;n.极端;末端;最大程度;极端的事物; variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种;
|
You've heard about these El Ninos, but this is the extreme that penguins all over the world have to adapt to. |
你听说过厄尔尼诺现象, 但是这就是全球企鹅 必须适应的极端变化。 |
adapt:vt.使适应;改编;vi.适应;
|
This is a cold-water event called La Nina. |
还有一个全球变冷的 叫拉尼娜。 |
Where it's blue and it's green, it means the water is really cold. |
哪里是蓝色和绿色,哪里的水就是非常的冷。 |
And so you can see this current coming up -- in this case, the Humboldt Current -- that comes all the way out to the Galapagos Islands, and this deep undersea current, the Cromwell Current, that upwells around the Galapagos. |
你可以看见这股洋流的出现, 这个叫做洪保德寒流, 一直流到加拉帕戈斯岛, 然后这个深海洋流,克伦威尔洋流, 在加拉帕戈斯岛的周围涌上来, |
undersea:adj.水下的;海面下的; upwells:vi.上涌;往上涌出;
|
That brings all the nutrients : |
带来了大量的养分。 |
nutrients:营养盐;[食品]营养素;
|
When this is cold in the Galapagos, it's rich, and there's plenty of food for everyone. |
当加拉帕戈斯岛变冷的时候, 小岛变得富饶,每个人都有丰富的食物。 |
When we have extreme El Nino events, you see all this red, and you see no green out here around the Galapagos. |
当我们有极恶劣的厄尔尼诺现象时, 你们看到的都是红色, 一点儿绿色都没有 在加拉帕戈斯岛上。 |
That means that there's no upwelling , and there's basically no food. |
这就意味着没有上涌的潜流, 基本上也就没有食物。 |
upwelling:n.上涌; v.上涌(upwell的ing形式); basically:adv.主要地,基本上;
|
So it's a real desert for not only for the penguins and the sea lions and the marine iguanas ... |
这就成为了沙漠。 不仅仅对于企鹅来说,对于海狮和海鬣蜥, |
marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵; iguanas:n.[脊椎]鬣蜥(iguana的复数);美洲蜥蜴;
|
things die when there's no food. |
没有食物就只有死亡。 |
But we didn't even know that that affected the Galapagos when I went to study penguins. |
我们根本不知道 这会影响加拉帕戈斯岛,在我研究企鹅的时候 |
And you can imagine being on an island hoping you're going to see penguins, and you're in the middle of an El Nino event and there are no penguins. |
你可以想象在一个岛上,你希望能看见企鹅, 但是因为厄尔尼诺的关系, 一只企鹅都没有。 |
They're not breeding; they're not even around. |
它们没有生育,它们甚至不再出现。 |
I studied marine iguanas at that point. |
那个时候,我研究了海鬃蜥。 |
But this is a global phenomenon , we know that. |
但我们都知道这是一个全球化的现象。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
|
And if you look along the coast of Argentina , where I work now, at a place called Punta Tombo -- the largest Magellanic penguin colony in the world down here about 44 degrees south latitude -- you see that there's great variation here. |
如果你看看阿根廷的海岸,我现在工作的地方 有个地方叫东波角 那是世界上麦哲伦企鹅最大的居住地, 大约在南纬44度, 你能看到有很大的变化。 |
Argentina:n.阿根廷(位于拉丁美洲); colony:n.殖民地;移民队; latitude:n.纬度;界限;活动范围;
|
Some years, the cold water goes all the way up to Brazil , and other years, in these La Nina years, it doesn't. |
有几年, 寒流一直流到巴西, 有几年,拉尼娜的那几年,寒流没有流到巴西。 |
Brazil:n.巴西(拉丁美洲国家);
|
So the oceans don't always act together; they act differently, but that is the kind of variation that penguins have to live with, and it's not easy. |
所以说,海洋并没有总是在一起变化,他们也有不同 但是正是这种不同 企鹅要面对 这并不容易。 |
So when I went to study the Magellanic penguins, |
所以,当我研究麦哲伦企鹅的时候, |
I didn't have any problems. |
我没有遇到任何问题。 |
There were plenty of them. |
那里有大量的麦哲伦企鹅。 |
This is a picture at Punta Tombo in February showing all the penguins along the beach. |
这是东波角二月份的照片 所有的企鹅都在海滩上。 |
I went there because the Japanese wanted to start harvesting them and turning them into high fashion golf gloves, protein and oil. |
我去那里是因为日本打算开始残杀他们, 将他们变成高级时装的高尔夫手套, 蛋白质和鱼油。 |
protein:n.蛋白质;
|
Fortunately , nobody has harvested any penguins and we're getting over 100,000 tourists a year to see them. |
幸运的是,还没有人扑杀任何企鹅, 大概一年有10多万的游客来看它们。 |
Fortunately:adv.幸运地;
|
But the population is declining and it's declined fairly substantially , about 21 percent since 1987, when I started these surveys , in terms of number of active nests. |
因为企鹅数量一直在减少, 而且减少幅度相当大,大概有21%。 从1987年起,当我开始调查的时候, 这是根据企鹅巢穴得出的数据。 |
declining:v.减少;下降;衰弱;谢绝;婉言拒绝;(decline的现在分词) declined:v.减少;下降;衰弱;婉言拒绝;(decline的过去分词和过去式) substantially:adv.实质上;大体上;充分地; surveys:n.调查(survey的复数);
|
Here, you can see where Punta Tombo is, and they breed in incredibly dense colonies. |
现在大家看到的是东波角的地理位置 他们在很密集的地方繁殖。 |
breed:v.繁殖;孕育;培育(动植物);导致;以…方式教育;n.品种; incredibly:adv.难以置信地;非常地; dense:adj.稠密的;浓厚的;愚钝的;
|
We know this because of long-term science, because we have long-term studies there. |
我们知道这些是因为长期的科学研究, 是因为我们长期在那里的调查。 |
long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
|
And science is important in informing decision makers, and also in changing how we do and knowing the direction of change that we're going in. |
科学对于决策是很重要的, 对于改变我们的行为 以及改变的方向也很重要。 |
informing:v.知会;通知;通告;了解;熟悉;对…有影响(inform的现在分词)
|
And so we have this penguin project. The Wildlife Conservation Society has funded me along with a lot of individuals over the last 27 years to be able to produce these kinds of maps. |
所以,我们有这个企鹅项目,野生动物保护协会 为我们提供资金,还有其他很多的个人 过去27年中, 使我们能够绘制这样的地图。 |
Conservation:n.保存,保持;保护; funded:adj.提供资金的;v.提供资金;积存;提供资金偿付的本息;(fund的过去式); individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
|
And also, we know that it's not only |
而且,我们只知道,不仅仅 |
Galapagos penguins that are in trouble, but Magellanics and many other species of penguins. |
加拉帕戈斯企鹅有困难, 麦哲伦企鹅也有,还有其他种类的企鹅 |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
And so we have started a global penguin society to try to focus on the real plight of penguins. |
所以我们开始(建立)一个全球化的企鹅社会, 试着重点关注企鹅面临的真正困难。 |
plight:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定;
|
This is one of the plights of penguins: oil pollution. |
石油污染是企鹅所面临的困境的一种。 |
plights:n.困境;境况;誓约;vt.保证;约定;
|
Penguins don't like oil and they don't like to swim through oil. |
企鹅不喜欢石油, 而且也不喜欢在石油中游泳。 |
The nice thing is, if you look down here in Argentina, there's no surface oil pollution from this composite map. |
好的事情是,如果你从阿根廷往下看, 在这个综合性地图上,没有一处石油污染。 |
composite:n.复合材料;合成物;菊科;adj.复合的;合成的;菊科的;vt.使合成;使混合;
|
But, in fact, when we went to Argentina, penguins were often found totally covered in oil. |
但是,事实上,当我们去阿根廷的时候, 经常发现企鹅 全身裹着石油。 |
So they were just minding their own business. |
他们只是想管好他们自己, |
They ended up swimming through ballast water that had oil in it. |
却最终在有石油的压载水中游泳。 |
ballast:n.压舱物,[建]压载物;道渣,碎石;vt.给…装压舱物;给…铺道渣;
|
Because when tankers carry oil they have to have ballast at some point, so when they're empty, they have the ballast water in there. |
这是因为,当油轮运输石油的时候, 在某些时候他们必须要有压载, 当油轮清空时,需要将压载水压入船体。 |
When they come back, they actually dump this oily ballast water into the ocean. |
归航时,实际上油轮又将混有石油的压载水 倒入海洋。 |
dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆; oily:adj.油的;油质的;油滑的;油腔滑调的;
|
Why do they do that? Because it's cheaper, because they don't pay the real environmental costs. |
为什么要这样做呢?因为这样省钱, 因为他们不用为环境破坏买单。 |
We usually don't, and we want to start getting the accounting system right so we can pay the real cost. |
我们通常情况下不这样,我们希望开始 建立完善的会计系统 以便我们能付出真正的代价。 |
At first, the Argentine government said, "No, there's no way. |
起初,阿根廷政府说,“不。绝对不可能。 |
Argentine:adj.阿根廷的;银的;n.阿根廷人;银;
|
You can't find oiled penguins in Argentina. |
你不可能发现在阿根廷发现裹着石油的企鹅。 |
We have laws, and we can't have illegal dumping; it's against the law." |
我们有法律。 我们不允许非法倾倒废物。这是违法的。“ |
illegal:adj.不合法的;非法的;n.非法移民;非法劳工;
|
So we ended up spending nine years convincing the government that there were lots of oiled penguins. |
所以我们最终用了9年的时间 让政府相信有大量的企鹅生活在石油之中。 |
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
|
In some years, like this year, we found more than 80 percent of the adult penguins dead on the beach were covered in oil. |
有些年份,比如今年,我们发现 超过百分之八十的 成年企鹅死在海滩上, 全身裹着石油。 |
on the beach:adj.在海滩上;失业的;潦倒的;退休的;
|
These little blue dots are the fledglings -- we do this survey every March -- which means that they're only in the environment from January until March, so maybe three months at the most that they could get covered in oil. |
这些小蓝点代表着幼鸟。 我们每年三月份都会做这样调查, 这就意味着他们只有在 一月份到三月份在这个环境中 所以或许最多只有三个月, 它们就会裹上石油。 |
fledglings:n.无经验的人;刚会飞的幼鸟; at the most:至多,不超过;
|
And you can see, in some years over 60 percent of the fledglings were oiled. |
你看到有些年份,超过百分之六十的 幼鸟被石油污染。 |
Eventually , the government listened and, amazingly, they changed their laws. |
最终,政府听从了, 而且令人惊叹的是,他们修改了法律。 |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
They moved the tanker lanes 40 kilometers farther off shore, and people are not doing as much illegal dumping . |
他们将油轮航线向着远离海岸线 的方向又移了40公里, 而且没有那么多人为非法倾倒的废物 |
lanes:n.线路,跑道(lane复数形式); dumping:n.倾倒,倾卸;v.丢弃,扔掉;抛弃;抛售;(dump的现在分词)
|
So what we're seeing now is very few penguins are oiled. |
所以,我们现在看到 只有很少数的企鹅在石油之中。 |
Why are there even these penguins oiled? |
为什么还是有企鹅在石油中呢? |
Because we've solved the problem in Chubut province, which is like a state in Argentina where Punta Tombo is -- so that's about 1,000 kilometers of coastline -- but we haven't solved the problem in northern Argentina, Uruguay and Brazil. |
因为我们解决了Chubut省的问题, Chubut省相当于阿根廷的一个州, 东波角所在的州 那里大概有1000公里的海岸线- 但我们没有解决 整个阿根廷北部,乌拉圭和巴西的问题 |
coastline:n.海岸线;
|
So now I want to show you that penguins are affected. |
所以现在,我想给你们展示这如何影响企鹅们。 |
I'm just going to talk about two things. |
我只谈两件事情。 |
This is climate change. Now this has really been a fun study because I put satellite tags on the back of these Magellanic penguins. |
首先是气候变化。现在这个真是一项很有趣的研究, 因为我把卫星标记放置在 麦哲伦企鹅的背部。 |
tags:n.标签; v.附加;
|
Try to convince donors to give you a couple thousand dollars to glue a satellite tag on the back of penguins. |
这是为了使捐款者给你几千美金 把一个卫星标记贴在企鹅背部。 |
convince:v.使确信;使相信;说服,劝说; donors:n.捐赠人(donor的复数);[电子]施主; glue:n.胶;胶水;v.粘贴;
|
But we've been doing this now for more than a decade to learn where they go. |
但是,我们这样做了10多年来研究它们去到哪里。 |
We thought we needed a marine protected area of about 30 kilometers, and then we put a satellite tag on the back of a penguin. |
我们认为我们需要一个海洋保护区, 大约30公里 而且我们还得把卫星标记放置在企鹅背部 |
And what the penguins show us -- and these are all the little dots from where the penguins' positions were for penguins in incubation in 2003 -- and what you see is some of these individuals are going 800 kilometers away from their nests. |
这样,企鹅展示给我们的, 就是这些小点点 代表企鹅的所在, 是2003年孵化小企鹅的地点。 你看到的是一些个体 会到离它们巢穴800公里远的地方去。 |
incubation:n.孵化;[病毒][医]潜伏;抱蛋;
|
So that means as their mate is sitting on the nest incubating the eggs, the other one is out there foraging , and the longer they have to stay gone, the worse condition the mate is in when the mate comes back. |
这就意味着,在它们的伴侣 坐在巢穴中,孵化小企鹅的时候, 另一半在外出觅食。 它们需要离开的时间越长, 当它们回去的时候,它们所面临的情况就越严重。 |
mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对; incubating:v.孵化;培养(细胞、细菌等);潜伏(incubate的现在分词) foraging:n.觅食(forage的ing形式);觅食力;
|
And, of course, all of this then leads to a vicious cycle and you can't raise a lot of chicks. |
当然,所有的这些导致一个恶性循环, 你就无法养活大量的小企鹅。 |
vicious:adj.恶毒的;恶意的;堕落的;有错误的;品性不端的;剧烈的;
|
Here you see in 2003 -- these are all the dots of where the penguins are -- they were raising a little over a half of a chick. |
你们看2003年, 所有的点代表企鹅所在的位置, 它们只能养活 一半多一点的小企鹅。 |
Here, you can see in 2006, they raised almost three quarters of a chick per nest, and you can see that they're closer to Punta Tombo; they're not going as far away. |
这里,你们可以观察到2006年, 每个家庭养活了 大概四分之三的小企鹅。 你发现它们离东波角越来越近, 它们没有走远。 |
three quarters:adj.四分之三的;n.四分之三;
|
This past year, in 2009, you can see that they're now raising about a fourth of a chick, and some of these individuals are going more than 900 kilometers away from their nests. |
过去的这一年,2009年, 你们可以发现它们只养育了 四分之一的小企鹅。 有些个体 要离开它们的巢穴900多公里。 |
So it's kind of like you having a job in Chicago, and then you get transferred to St. Louis, and your mate is not happy about this because you've got to pay airfare , because you're gone longer. |
这就好像你在芝加哥有一份工作, 然后你搬到 圣路易斯, 你的伴侣为此不高兴, 因为你得付机票钱, 而且你离开的时间更长。 |
transferred:v.(使)转移,搬迁;(使)调动;(transfer的过去分词和过去式) airfare:n.飞机票价;
|
The same thing's true for penguins as well. |
对于企鹅来说是一样的。 |
And they're going about, on average now, 40 kilometers farther than they did a decade ago. |
它们现在 跟10年前相比,平均要多走40公里。 |
We need to be able to get information out to the general public . |
我们需要获取更多的信息并且让每个人都知道。 |
general public:n.普通百姓;大众;公众;
|
And so we started a publication with the Society for Conservation that we think presents cutting-edge science in a new, novel way, because we have reporters that are good writers that actually can distill the information and make it accessible to the general public. |
所以我们跟环保协会共同 创办了一期刊物。 我们用一种革新的方式 来传达当今最前沿的科学知识。 因为我们有记者,他们都是很棒的作家, 他们也能够提炼信息, 并将其变成能够供大众接受的信息。 |
publication:n.出版物;发表;公布;发行; cutting-edge science:尖端科学; novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; distill:vt.提取;蒸馏;使滴下;vi.蒸馏;滴下;作为精华产生(等于distil); accessible:adj.易接近的;可进入的;可理解的;
|
So if you're interested in cutting-edge science and smarter conservation, you should join with our 11 partners -- some of them here in this room, like the Nature Conservancy -- and look at this magazine |
所以,如果你对尖端科技 和睿智的谈话有兴趣, 你应该加入到我们的11个合作伙伴的行列中来。 他们有些现在就在这个房间里,像大自然保护协会, 读读这本杂志, |
Conservancy:n.管理;保护;保存;
|
because we need to get information out about conservation to the general public. |
因为我们需要将有关环保的信息 传播给普通大众。 |
Lastly I want to say that all of you, probably, have had some relationship at some time in your life with a dog, a cat, some sort of pet, and you recognized that those are individuals. |
好,最后我想说, 在座的可能 都有过 跟一只狗、一只猫,或者任何宠物在一起的时候, 你们认同它们是独立的个体。 |
recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
|
And some of you consider them almost part of your family. |
有些人甚至认为它们几乎是家庭的一部分。 |
If you had a relationship with a penguin, you'd see it in the same sort of way. |
如果你们和企鹅在一起, 你们对待它们也是一样的。 |
They're amazing creatures that really change how you view the world because they're not that different from us: |
它们是令人惊叹的动物, 会改变你看世界的方式, 因为它们们跟我们没有区别并不大。 |
creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
|
They're trying to make a living , they're trying to raise their offspring , they're trying to get on and survive in the world. |
它们只是想维持生计。 只是想养育它们的子孙。 它们只是想在这个世界上生活。 |
make a living:谋生,维持生活; offspring:n.后代,子孙;产物;
|
This is Turbo the Penguin. |
这是一只名叫涡轮的企鹅。 |
Turbo:n.涡轮增压机;
|
Turbo's never been fed. |
涡轮从来没有被喂养过。 |
He met us and got his name because he started standing under my diesel truck: a turbo truck, so we named him Turbo. |
他遇到我们后,我们给他起的这个名字 因为他开始站在 我的柴油卡车下面,一辆涡轮增压车, 所以我们叫他涡轮。 |
diesel:n.柴油机;柴油;柴油车;内燃机车
|
Turbo has taken to knocking on the door with his beak, we let him in and he comes in here. |
涡轮学会了用他的喙敲门。 我们让他进来,他就进来了。 |
And I just wanted to show you what happened one day when Turbo brought in a friend. |
我只是想给大家看看 当涡轮带来个朋友时 发生了些什么。 |
So this is Turbo. |
这是涡轮 |
He's coming up to one of my graduate students and flipper patting , which he would do to a female penguin. |
他来到我的一个研究生面前,拍打他的蹼 就好像他对着一位雌性企鹅一样 |
flipper:n.鳍状肢;鳍;烤饼;胖听罐头;vi.靠鳍足(或鸭甲板)行动;adj.无礼的; patting:adj.恰好的; v.恰好; n.轻拍; vt.轻拍; vi.轻拍; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
|
And you can see, he's not trying to bite. |
你看,他并没有打算咬你 |
This guy has never been in before and he's trying to figure out, "What is going on? |
这位兄弟从来没有来过 他正努力弄清楚“发生了什么? |
What is this guy doing? |
他在干什么呢? |
This is really pretty weird ." |
这真是奇怪呀。” |
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
|
And you'll see soon that my graduate student ... |
你一会儿就会看到 我的研究生 |
and you see, Turbo's pretty intent on his flipper patting. |
你也会看到,涡轮拍打蹼 的意图 |
intent on:专心致志于;抱定决心要实行;
|
And now he's looking at the other guy, saying, "You are really weird." |
现在他看着那个家伙 说到“你好奇怪呀” |
And now look at this: not friendly. |
看这里,可是不友好 |
So penguins really differ in their personalities just like our dogs and our cats. |
所以企鹅的性格是不同的 就像我们的狗和猫一样。 |
personalities:n.性格;个性;人格;气质;名人;(personality的复数)
|
We're also trying to collect our information and become more technologically literate . |
我们同时也试图收集更多信息, 并学会掌握更多的技术。 |
technologically:adv.科技地;技术上地; literate:adj.受过教育的;精通文学的;n.学者;
|
So we're trying to put that in computers in the field. |
所以我们将这些信息输入 相关领域的电脑。 |
And penguins are always involved in helping us or not helping us in one way or another. |
企鹅总是加入进来, 用这样或那样的方式,帮助我们,或者不帮助我们。 |
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
This is a radio frequency ID system. |
这是一个无线电频率身份识别系统。 |
frequency:n.频率;发生率;重复率;频繁;
|
You put a little piece of rice in the foot of a penguin that has a barcode , so it tells you who it is. |
我们在企鹅脚上放了一些米 它们脚上有条形码,用来告诉我们这是企鹅是谁。 |
barcode:n.条形码;条码技术;
|
It walks over the pad , and you know who it is. |
企鹅走过垫子,你就知道这是谁。 |
pad:n.软垫,护垫;便笺本;爪垫;肉掌;v.填充,覆盖,保护;蹑手蹑脚地走;做黑账;
|
Okay, so here are a few penguins coming in. |
现在有几只企鹅过来了。 |
See, this one's coming back to its nest. |
请看,这只正要回它的窝。 |
They're all coming in at this time, walking across there, just kind of leisurely coming in. |
他们都在此刻一块儿来了, 一起走过去,都有那么点悠闲。 |
leisurely:adj.悠闲的;从容的;adv.悠闲地;从容不迫地;
|
Here's a female that's in a hurry. She's got food. |
哦,这位女士可是急匆匆的 |
She's really rushing back, because it's hot, to try to feed her chicks. |
她真是急着往回赶,因为很热呀, 要赶紧回去喂孩子。 |
And then there's another fellow that will leisurely come by. |
那位兄弟正慢悠悠地走过来。 |
Look how fat he is. He's walking back to feed his chicks. |
看他多胖呀。他也是回去喂他的孩子。 |
Then I realize that they're playing king of the box. |
这下我意识到他们 在玩箱子。 |
This is my box up here, and this is the system that works. |
我的箱子在这里,这也就是这个正在工作的系统。 |
You can see this penguin, he goes over, he looks at those wires, does not like that wire. |
你可以看到这只企鹅,他走过去,他盯着这些电线看, 他不喜欢那条电线。 |
He unplugs the wire; we have no data. |
他就拔出那根电线,我们就没有数据了。 |
unplugs:v.拔去…的塞子(插头);去掉…的障碍物;(unplug的第三人称单数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So, they really are pretty amazing creatures. |
所以说,他们真的是非常奇妙的动物。 |
OK. |
好吧。 |
Most important thing is: |
最重要的事是, |
Only you can change yourself, and only you can change the world and make it better, for people as well as penguins. |
只有你可以改变你自己。 而且,只有你可以改变这个世界, 让这个世界变得更美好,为了人类自己, 也为了企鹅们。 |
as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
So, thank you very much. (Applause) |
最后,非常感谢大家。 |