返回首页

DeborahScranton_2007-_底波_拉斯和她的“战争影像”_

Three years ago, I got a phone call, based on an earlier film I had made, with an offer to embed the New Hampshire National Guard . 三年前,我接到了一个电话,源自于我之前完成的一部影片, 希望我能够讲述新罕布什尔国民警卫军的故事。
embed:vt.栽种;使嵌入,使插入;使深留脑中; Hampshire:n.汉普郡(英国南部之一郡); National Guard:n.国民警卫队;后备役军人;
My idea -- and literally , I woke up in the middle of the night, and we've all have those moments. 我在夜半清醒过来 我们都有过这种经历。
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
I was excited, with this phone call. 我当时很兴奋,因为这个电话。
I was thinking, I just finished making another film about World War II vets , and I realized I'd gotten to know their stories, and I realized this was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to tell a warrior's story as it unfolded . 我在想,我刚刚完成了一部关于二战老兵的电影, 然后我意识到我必须挖掘他们的故事, 我意识到这是千载难逢的机会 去完整的讲述一个勇敢者故事。
vets:abbr.退伍军人(veteransadjustmentscale); once-in-a-lifetime:千载难逢(的好机会); unfolded:v.(使)展开;打开;展示;透露;(unfold的过去分词和过去式)
So I went to bed that night pretty excited. 于是那晚我十分兴奋的入睡。
Not sure of all the details, but excited. 尽管很多细节还不了解,但仍然十分兴奋。
It wasn't at four in the morning, but -- it was closer to midnight. 当时还不到凌晨四点,不过--更像是午夜时分吧。
Woke straight up. Wide awake as could be. 我猛的起床。睡意全无,十分清醒。
And I had this idea: what if I could in effect virtually embed? 于是我就有了这样一个想法:为何我不能真正的去刻画(这个故事)呢?
what if:如果…怎么办? virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上;
And create a permeable relationship with the soldiers? 和士兵们建立一种相互的私人关系?
permeable:adj.能透过的;有渗透性的;
To tell the story from the inside out, versus the outside in? 以便从当事人的角度讲述一切,而不是主观臆断?
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
So I called back Major Heilshorn, who's the public affairs officer of the New Hampshire National Guard. 于是我回电话给Heilshorn少校, 他是新罕布什尔国民警卫军的公共事务主管。
public affairs:n.公共事务;
And he knew me, so I was like, "Greg?" 他了解我,我说,“Greg?”
He's like, "Yes, Deborah?" 他说,“什么事,Deborah?”
Told him my idea, and you know, he is one of the bravest men in the world, as is General Blair, who in the end gave me permission to try this experiment. 我讲了自己的想法,你们都知道, 他是世界上最勇敢的人之一, 就像Blair将军一样,他最终给了我这样尝试的机会。
Within 10 days I was down at Fort Dix. 十天之内我就到了迪克斯堡。
Fort:n.堡垒;要塞;(美)边界贸易站;v.设要塞保卫;构筑要塞;
He gave me my pick of units. 他让我自由选择小组(作为摄影团队)。
I picked one unit -- Charlie Company, Third of the 172nd, they're mountain infantry -- for two reasons. 我选择了一个小组--第172部队第三营的Charlie连, 他们是山地步兵--有两个原因。
infantry:n.步兵;步兵团;
One, they're infantry. 第一,他们是步兵。
Number two, they were gonna be based at LSA Anaconda , so I knew they would have Internet access. 第二,他们的据点在LSA水蟒基地, 我知道那里可以连接互联网。
Anaconda:n.水蟒;蟒蛇;
The caveat for my access was I had to get the soldiers to volunteer . 我能顺利实现它的一个瓶颈就是必须要使这些士兵们自愿(去录制)。
caveat:n.警告;告诫; volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
This was a big thing. 这很重要。
I think when Major H told me, 我想当Heilshorn少校向我警告时,
I wasn't really totally gathering what that would mean. 我并没有充分认识这件事情的困难性。
So what that meant was, when I went down to Fort Dix, 于是这意味着,当我去往迪克斯堡时,
I had to hop out in front of 180 guys and tell them of my vision . 我要在180个大男人面前跳下车然后讲述我的想法。
hop:n.啤酒花;单足短距离跳跃;;v.单脚跳行;齐足(或双足)跳行;突然快速去某处; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
You can imagine the hailstorm of questions I got. 你可以想象各种问题像雹暴般向我迎面砸来。
hailstorm:n.雹暴;雹暴般的降临;
The opening one was, "What the fuck do you know about the National Guard?" 最露骨的问题比如, “你对国民警卫队知道个屁啊!”
I started with the 1607 Massachusetts Bay Colony Pequod Indian Wars. 我从1607年的马萨诸塞湾殖民地、佩科特战争讲起。
Colony:n.殖民地;移民队;
Gave them about a nine minute response , and there we went. 进行了差不多长达九分钟的答复, (然后才)顺利进行。
response:n.响应;反应;回答;
So I'd like to show the clip of the film. 所以我想展示影片的一个片段。
clip:v.剪辑;修剪;削减;固定;n.夹;夹子;速度;钳;
It's our trailer, because I know obviously you guys are busy -- many of you may not have had a chance to see it. 是我们的预告片,因为我知道你们一定都很忙-- 许多人可能没有机会看它。
So I want to show the trailer, and then I'm going to take apart one scene in detail. 所以我想展示一下预告片, 然后我将取出一个画面详细说明。
take apart:拆开;剖析;粗暴对待;
If we could roll? 我们能开始了吧?
Pink: This is Sergeant Stephen Pink. Pink:我是Stephen Pink中士。
Sergeant:n.军士;警察小队长;海军陆战队中士;高等律师;
Moriarty: Specialist Michael Moriarty. Moriarty:我是Michael Moriarty专员。
Bazzi: Do I really want to go? Probably not. Bazzi:我真的想去吗?也许不是。
Soldier: We're not supposed to talk to the media . 士兵:我们不应该和媒体对话。
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉;
P: I'm not the media, dammit ! 我不是媒体,可恶!
dammit:int.该死,真他妈的;
M: The day is here. Life will change. 我们到了。生活将就此改变。
Soldier: The real deal, man! You ready? 这可不是闹着玩的,哥们!你准备好了吗?
Bring it on! Ready? Iraq, here we come! 放马过来吧!好了吗?伊拉克,我们来了!
B: Every soldier eventually wants to go to combat . 每个士兵最终都想去打仗。
eventually:adv.最后,终于; combat:v.战斗;防止;减轻;与…搏斗;n.战斗;搏斗;打仗;
It's a natural instinct . 这是(士兵的)天性。
instinct:n.本能;天性;直觉;adj.充满的;
P: If you let fear get to you, then you're not going to be doing your job. 如果你害怕了, 那你就干不好自己的事。
M: Every single time you go out there, there's attacks. 每次你出去,都有袭击。
It's unbelievable . 太不可思议了。
unbelievable:adj.(非正式)难以置信的;不可信的
B: Hey Nestor, your ass crack is right in my face. 嘿Nestor,你的屁股正对着我呢。
crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的;
Soldier: IV. Are we on fire? IV。我们被击中了吗?
Man down. Man down. 有人被击中了。有人被击中了。
M: Keep going, brother. You wanna play? 继续开,哥们,你想完成任务?(那就照我说的去做)
Moriarty's wife: It's really hard for him to not have his dad. Moriarty的妻子:对孩子来说没有父亲(的陪伴)真的很难。
M: This little kid is in the middle of a war zone. 这么小的孩子已经被卷入战争的漩涡。
Pink's girlfriend: In the beginning, he's like, "Write something dirty!" Pink的女朋友:刚开始,他的意思是,“写点粗俗的东西吧!”
George W. Bush : The world's newest democracy . 乔治·布什:世界的最新民主。
Bush:n.灌木; v.以灌木装饰; adj.如灌木般长得低矮的; democracy:n.民主,民主主义;民主政治;
M: They're shooting at me. 他们向我射击。
P: You don't put 150,000 troops in there and say we're there to create democracy. 你不用派遣15万军队到那里 而且声称我们是去建立民主。
Soldier: We've got a drive through window at Burger King now. 士兵:我们开着车,现在透过窗户看到了“汉堡王”(一种美式快餐)。
P: We're here to create money. 我们过来是为了钱。
M: I support George Bush. We're not there for the oil. 我支持布什。我们不是为了石油才来的。
Jon Baril: The worst thing in my life. Jon Baril:我这辈子最坏的事情。
P: Baril, don't look at it bud . P:Baril,别看了,哥们。
bud:n.芽,萌芽;蓓蕾;vi.发芽,萌芽;vt.使发芽;
M Wife: He's not the same person anymore. 他完全变了一个人。
M: I will not go back. 我回不去了。
Kevin Shangraw: The Iraqi people are who we are there to help -- and we just killed one. Kevin Shangraw:我们是去帮助伊拉克人民的-- 可是我们刚刚却杀了一个。
Solider : Sergeant Smith is down! Sergeant Smith is down? Smith中士被击中了!Smith中士被击中了?
Solider:adj.牢固的;实在的;可信赖的(solid的比较级);
There they are! Right there! Fire, fire! 他们在那!就在那!开火,开火!
Baril: It'll be a better country in 20 years, 'cause we were there 20年后,它将变成一个更好的国家,因为我们来过
I hope. 希望如此。
Deborah Scranton: Thank you. Deborah Scranton:谢谢大家。
One of the things I'd like to talk to you about is having a conversation about something that is difficult to talk about. 我还有一个事情想和大家讲一下 就是对于一个很难谈论的问题进行对话。
And I'd like to relate an experience I had here at TED. 我想引用一个在TED的经历。
I don't know how many of you might imagine it, but there's actually a TEDster who recently got back from Iraq. 我不知道你们有多少人可能想过它, 不过真有一个TED的人刚刚从伊拉克回来。
recently:adv.最近;新近;
Paul? Come on, stand up. Paul?快点,起来吧。
This is Paul Anthony. 这位是Paul Anthony。
He served -- (Applause) -- with the Marines , and I want to tell you a little brief story. 他在--(掌声)--海军服役, 我想给大家讲一个小故事。
Marines:n.海军陆战队士兵;(marine的复数)
We were one of the lucky ones to get in the class with the Sony cameras and the Vista software. 我们是那些幸运儿之一 能够成为上流,带着Sony摄像机和使用Vista的软件。
Vista:n.远景,狭长的街景;展望;回顾;
Right? And we started talking. 对吧?然后我们开始谈论。
People will see my tag , and they'll see "The War Tapes," 人们开到了我的标签,他们看到了“战争影像”这几个字,
tag:n.标记;标签;标志;标牌;v.给…加上标签;把…称作;给…起诨名;
and then we'll start talking about war. 于是我们开始谈论战争。
We got in a conversation with some other people in the class, and it went on and on . 我们和这里的其他一些人进行对话, 就这样进行着。
on and on:继续不停地;
I mean, we were there for an hour, talking. 我的意思是,我们谈论了一个小时。
And it really highlighted something that I would like to ask you guys to think about and hopefully to help with. 而且它真的突出了一些我希望的事情 我希望大家能够去思考而且希望大家能给予帮助。
highlighted:adj.突出的;v.使显著;照亮(highlight的过去分词);
Which is, I think a lot of us are very afraid to have conversations about war, and about politics . 也就是,我想许多人很忌惮谈论关于战争的问题, 和政治。
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
And really -- because maybe we're going to disagree. 其实--是因为可能我们不会赞同。
Maybe it's going to get uncomfortable. 也是这会使我们感到不舒服。
How do we open it up, to really be able to have a conversation? 我们怎样才能畅谈一番,真正的进行一次对话?
And you know, Paul was talking, and he then turned to Constance and said, "You know, I wouldn't have this conversation if she weren't here, because I know she has my back." (当时)Paul正在讲话, 然后他转向Constance,说道, “你知道吗,如果没有她,我就不会在这里谈话, 因为我知道她会支持我。”
Constance:n.康士坦茨湖(位于瑞士,德国和奥地利交界处);
And I want to say, I was nervous. 我想说,我当时很紧张。
Because I'm used to doing Q & As. 因为我一直都习惯一问一答。
I really related to what James was saying yesterday, because I'm behind the camera. 我真的和James昨天说的很像, 因为我是站在摄像机后面。
You know, I can answer questions about my movie, but for me to come up and talk for 18 minutes is a really long time. 你知道,我可以回答关于电影的问题, 但是如果让我上来滔滔不绝的讲18分钟,那真的是很难熬。
So I wanted to say, "Paul, I'm happy you're here, because I know you have my back." 所以我想说,“Paul,我很高兴你在这, 因为我知道你支持着我。”
This film was not about the Internet, but it could not have been made without it. 这部电影和网络没有关系, 但是如果没有网络(的帮助)就不会有这部电影。
The guys' tapes on average took two weeks to get from Iraq to me. 这些人录制的录像平均要两个星期才能从伊拉克传到我这里。
In the meantime , the soldiers -- we would email and IM. 同时,士兵们--我们可以发邮件和即时聊天。
In the meantime:在此期间;于此际;
I didn't save all of them, because I didn't realize at the beginning that it would be something that I would want to keep track of . 我并没有全部保存, 因为一开始我并没有意识到 我会希望将这些资料珍藏。
at the beginning:首先;从一开始;起初;从头开始; keep track of:记录;与…保持联系;
But there were 3,211 emails and IMs and text messages that I was able to save. 不过还是有3211封邮件还有聊天记录,以及短信 我保存了下来了。
The reason I quantify that is because we really embarked on this as a mutual journey to really get inside of it. 我之所以量化它是因为我们将这件事情看做是一个双向互动的过程 以便真正获得真实的记录。
quantify:vt.量化;为…定量;确定数量;vi.量化;定量; embarked:v.上船;装船;(embark的过去式和过去分词) mutual:adj.共同的;相互的,彼此的; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行;
So I wanted to show you a clip, and then I was going tell you a little bit of how it got put together . 所以我想展示一个片段, 然后向大家简单的介绍一些它是如何拼贴成的。
put together:..放在一起;组合;装配;
If we could roll the clip. 我们开始吧。
Pink: Today is sport. 今天要大干一场。
We like to give these insurgents a fair chance. 我们要给这群叛乱者一个公平的机会。
insurgents:n.叛乱分子(insurgent的复数);
So what we do, we ride with the windows down. 于是我们要做的是,拉下玻璃窗前进。
Because you know, we obviously have the advantage . I'm just kidding. 因为,你知道,显然我们有优势。我只不过开玩笑罢了。
advantage:n.有利条件:优势:优点:
We don't fucking ride with the goddam windows down. 我们才他妈不开着破窗户前进呢。
goddam:adj.诅咒的;讨厌的;
It's not true. Very unsafe . 这不是真的。非常危险。
unsafe:adj.不安全的;危险的;不安稳的;
Whoa.
Soldier: Right there. 士兵:就在那。
P: All right, let's get over to that site . 好吧,我们赶过去那边。
site:n.地点;位置;场所;v.设置;为…选址;
Be advised , we're leaving Taji right now. 仔细考虑后,我们现在离开Taji。
advised:adj.考虑过的; v.劝告; (advise的过去分词和过去式)
We believe that the blast was right outside the gate of Taji, we're heading to that location now. 我们认为爆炸就在Taji的门外发生, 我们现在前往那个地方。
blast:n.爆炸; v.爆破; location:n.地方;地点;位置;定位
Soldier: That's a fucking car bomb! 士兵:那他妈是一个汽车炸弹!
Soldier: Motherfuckers ! 士兵:这帮混蛋!
Motherfuckers:n.(常用于男性)浑蛋,杂种;(motherfucker的复数)
Soldier: Get your vest on! 士兵:把你的防弹衣穿上!
vest:n.背心,汗衫;v.赋与;
Hey, get over the fucking -- yeah, yeah. 嘿,去那边--恩,恩。
Any one, four elements get to the gate! 谁都行,四个小队赶到大门那边!
elements:n.要素;基本部分;少量;一群;(element的复数)
P: Sheriff one six, or any one four elements, we need you at the gate of Taji right now, over. 警长,或任何一个小分队, 请立即前卫昂Taji门那里,完毕。
Sheriff:n.州长;郡治安官;执行吏;
Man: I'll walk you through it. 男人:我走着带你过去。
(Voices) (声音)
P: Stay low. Head over to the right. 放低。头转向右。
Get your bag, get your CLS bag! 拿上你的包,拿上你的CLS包!
(Screams) (惊叫声)
P: It was mass casualties . 大量死伤
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集; casualties:n.伤亡;人员伤亡(casualty的复数);
Probably 20 dead, at least 20 or 30 wounded Iraqis . 大概20人死亡,至少20或30个伊拉克人受伤。
wounded:adj.受伤的; n.伤员; v.使受伤; (wound的过去分词和过去式) Iraqis:adj.伊拉克的;伊拉克人的;n.伊拉克人;
P: It just looked like -- you know, someone had, had thrown a quarter through a guy, and it was just like -- there was no blood coming from the shrapnel wounds . 就好像--你知道, 一个人,用硬币穿过一个家伙, 就好像--弹片伤口那里没有血流出。
shrapnel:n.弹片;榴霰弹;零钱; wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数)
Everything was cauterized , and it was just like there was a void going -- going through the body. 所有东西都被烧灼了, 就像一个洞穿过,穿透过身体。
cauterized:vt.烧灼;腐蚀;使麻木(等于cauterise); void:adj.空的;无效的;无人的;n.空虚;空间;空隙;v.使无效;排放;
This is the scene north. 这是北面的情景。
They just removed a burnt body, or half a body from here. 他们刚刚从这里搬走了一具烧焦的尸体,或者半具。
I don't think there was anything left from his abdominal down. 我估计腹部以下应该都没有了。
abdominal:adj.腹部的;有腹鳍的;
This is blood. 这是血。
And you know, you walk, and you hear the pieces of skin and -- that's it, that's all that's left 你知道,走动起来, 可以听见皮肤碎片的声音,而且-- 就这些,就剩下这些了
I remember giving three IVs, bandaging several wounded. 我记得录了三段,包扎几个伤员。
Soldiers sitting in the corner of a sandbag wall, shaking and screaming. 士兵们在沙袋护墙的角落里挤作一团,颤抖着,惊叫着。
sandbag:v.用沙袋打;在…堆沙袋;n.沙袋;
Medics who were terrified and couldn't perform . 医护人员都受到了惊吓,没法实施救援。
Medics:n.医学工作者;苜蓿(medic的复数); perform:v.表演;执行;履行;演出;工作,运转(好/不好);
I later heard that Iraqi casualties were not to be treated in Taji. 我后来听说这些伊拉克的伤亡人员不会在Taji处理。
treated:v.以…态度对待;把…看作;(treat的过去分词和过去式)
They can work on the post for pennies, but can't die there. 他们可以干活挣点小钱,但是不能在那里死。
They've got to die outside. 他们要死也得死在外面。
If one of those incompetent medical officers told me to stop treatment , 如果那些没用的医护官员告诉我停止治疗,
incompetent:adj.无能力的,不胜任的;不合适的;不适当的;无力的;n.无能力者; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
I would've slit his throat right there. 我一定一刀割掉他的喉咙。
slit:vt.撕裂;使有狭缝;n.裂缝;投币口;vi.纵裂;
21:00 hours, and it's just our squad going through today's events in our heads, whether we want to or not. 晚上九点,只有我们小队 在脑海中想一遍今天的事情, 不管我们愿不愿意。
squad:n.班;小队;五人组(篮球队的非正式说法);vt.把…编成班;把…编入班;
Anchor: More violence in Iraq. 主播:伊拉克发生了越来越多的暴力事件。
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
Twin suicide car bombings killed eight Iraqis and wounded dozens more near a coalition base north of Baghdad ... 两起相同的汽车炸弹事件致使8名伊拉克人死亡,多人受伤 在靠近巴格达北部的一个联军基地……
suicide:n.自杀;自杀行为;自杀者;adj.自杀的;v.自杀;vi.自杀; bombings:n.[军]轰炸,[军]投弹;v.轰击;引爆炸弹(bomb的ing形式); coalition:n.联合;结合,合并; Baghdad:n.巴格达(伊拉克首都);
P: We made the news. 我们上了新闻。
I feel exploited and proud at the same time . 我感觉被利用了,同时也感到自豪。
exploited:v.剥削;压榨;运用;利用;发挥(exploit的过去分词和过去式) at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时;
I have lost all faith in the media -- a hapless joke that I would much rather laugh at than become a party. 我对媒体失去了信心-- 它更像是一个倒霉的玩笑,我宁可大笑而过而不是参与其中。
faith:n.信心;信任;宗教信仰; hapless:adj.运气不好的,倒霉的;
I should really thank God for saving my lucky ass. 我真应该感谢上帝让我捡了一条命回来。
I'll do that, then I'm gonna jerk off. 我会那样做,然后再手淫一番。
jerk:v.猛拉;n.混蛋;突然而剧烈的动作;adj.卤的;
Because these pages smell like Lindz, and there won't be any time for jerking off tomorrow. 因为这些纸张有Lindz的味道, 而且明天将不会有一点时间让你再打飞机了。
jerking:n.颠簸;震摇;顿挫;
Another mission at 06:00. 另一个任务,早上6点钟。
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
Deborah Scranton: Now -- (Applause). Thanks. Deborah Scranton:现在--(掌声)。谢谢。
When I said earlier, to try and tell a story from the inside out, versus the outside in -- part of what Chris said so eloquently in his introduction is this melding . 我之前说过,试着深层次的讲述一个故事,而不是浅尝辄止-- Chris在他的十分生动的介绍里也讲过这个问题,这种融合(的方法)
eloquently:adv.善辩地;富于表现力地; melding:vt.融合;使结合(meld的现在分词);使合并;vi.结合(meld的现在分词);合并;
It's a new way of trying to make a documentary. 它是制作纪录片的一种新的尝试。
When I met the guys, and 10 of them agreed to take cameras. 当初我见到这些士兵时,10个人同意为我录影。
In total, 21 ended up filming. 到最后,一共有21个人参与了录制。
Five soldiers filmed the entire time. 5个士兵全程坚持录影。
There are three featured in the film. 其中有3个人在影片的录制中起到了重要作用。
The way I learned about Taji was Steve Pink sent me an email, and in it attached a photo of that burned body out at the car. 我是从Steve Pink发给我的邮件中知道Taji的这个惨案的, 而且在附件里添加了那张烧焦尸体的照片,在轿车的外面。
attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式)
And the tone from the email was, you know, it had been a very bad day, obviously. 邮件中弥漫的情绪, 可想而知,很显然,非常糟糕的一天。
tone:n.语气:风格:特色:声音信号:v.使更结实:与…协调:
And I saw in my IM window that Mike Moriarty was at the base. 然后我在我的IM窗口中发现Mike Moriarty在基地。
So I pinged Mike and I said, "Mike, can you please go get that interview with Pink?" 于是我点击Mike然后说, “Mike,请问你能不能采访一下Pink?”
pinged:n.子弹飞过空中的声音;[电子]声脉冲;vi.发出撞击声;砰地发声; interview:n.接见,采访;面试,面谈;v.采访;接见;对…进行面谈;
Because the thing that very often is missing is, in the military what they call "hot wash." 因为我们经常缺失的部分, 用军事术语叫“hot wash”(趁热打铁)
military:adj.军事的;军人的;适于战争的;n.军队;军人;
It's that immediate interview after something immediately happens, you know. 就是事件发生以后的即时采访,你知道。
And if you let time go by, it kind of softens and smooths the edges. 如果就让它这样过去, 时间就会模糊和抹平那些特别的细节。
softens:vt.使温和;使缓和;使变柔软;vi.减轻;变柔和;变柔软;
And for me, I really wanted that. 对于我来说,我非常渴望(有这个采访)。
So, in order to get the intimacy , to share that experience with you, the guys -- the two most popular mounts -- there was a camera on the turret -- the gun turret, and then on the dashboard of the Humvee. 所以,为了能深入了解, 以便能和你们分享,这些人-- 最有人缘的两个人扛上设备-- 小塔那里有一台摄像机--炮塔, 输送车的仪表板上也有。
intimacy:n.亲密;密切;关系密切;性行为; mounts:n.加载的文件系统; v.增长,装上,爬上,乘马(mount的单三形式); turret:n.炮塔;角楼;小塔;攻城用仰冲车; dashboard:n.汽车等的仪表板;马车等前部的挡泥板;
Most of the Humvees , we ended up mounting two cameras in them. 大多数输送车,装备有两台摄像机。
Humvees:n.高机动多功能轮式运输车(Humvee的复数); mounting:n.安装;固定;悬挂;adj.上升的;增长的;v.准备;安排;登上;(mount的现在分词)
So you get to experience that in real time , right? 所以你们实际上在第一时间感受到事件的发生。
real time:adj.实时的;接到指示立即执行的;
The interview that you see is the one that Mike went and did within 24 hours of that episode happening. 你们刚才看到的那个采访是Mike在 事件发生24小时之内及时录制的。
episode:n.一段经历;片段,插曲;一集;
Steve Pink reading his journal happened five months after he came home. Steve Pink在他回家5个月以后 才去读他的那些日记。
journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报;
I knew about that journal, but it was very, very private. 我知道日记的内容,但是它是非常非常隐私的。
And you know, you earn someone's trust, especially in doc filmmaking , through your relationship. 而且你知道,你赢得了别人的信任, 尤其是在纪录片的拍摄过程中,通过私人关系。
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分; filmmaking:n.制片,电影摄制;
So it wasn't until five months after he was home that he would read that journal. 所以直到他回家5个月以后 他才重温那些日记。
Now, the news footage I put in there to try to show -- you know, I think mainstream media tries to do the best they can in the format that they have. 那么,我在片中放进的新闻片段是为了-- 你知道,我认为主流媒体尽了他们所能去 做到最好。
footage:n.英尺长度;连续镜头;以尺计算长度; mainstream:n.主流;
But the thing that I know you all have heard a lot of times, 但是我知道大家总是不断的听到,
American soldiers saying, "Why don't they talk about the good stuff that we do?" 美国士兵们说, “为什么他们不去报道我们做的好事?”
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
OK, this is a perfect example. 好的,这就是一个很好的例子。
Pink's squad and another squad spent their entire day outside the wire. Pink的小队和另外一个分队一整天都在大本营外面。
They didn't have to go outside the wire. 他们本不必要出去。
There were not Americans hurt out there. 那里没有美国人的伤亡。
They spent their entire day outside the wire trying to save Iraqi lives -- the Iraqis who work on the post. 他们在外面一整天是为了救伊拉克人-- 那些工作在岗位上的伊拉克人。
So when you may hear soldiers complaining , that's what they're talking about, you know? 所以当你听到士兵们的抱怨, 这就是原因,是吧?
complaining:adj.抱怨的;v.抱怨;控诉;(complain的现在分词)
And I think it's such an amazing gift that they would share this, as a way of bridging. 而且我认为他们能够分享这些(故事),就是最好的礼物, 作为一种沟通的手段。
And when I talk about that polarity I get at so many different Q & As, and people are really opinionated . 在许多现场提问中我感受到了“对立”, 人们是如此的武断。
polarity:n.[物]极性;两极;对立; opinionated:adj.固执己见的;武断的;
But it seems like people don't want to hear so much. 但是大家似乎都不愿意去了解更多。
Or listen. Or try to have an exchange . 或者倾听,亦或交流。
exchange:n.交换;交流;交易所;兑换;v.交换;交易;兑换;
And I'm as fiery as the next person, but I really think -- you know, different speakers have talked about their concern for the world, and my concern is that we have to have these conversations. 我和其他人一样心怀不满,但我确实认为-- 你知道,不同的人谈到了他们对这个世界不同的担忧, 我的担忧就是,我们必须要进行这样的对话。
fiery:adj.热烈的,炽烈的;暴躁的;燃烧般的; concern:v.涉及,关系到;使担心;n.关系;关心;关心的事;
And we have to be able to go into scary places where we may, you know, we think we know. 我们必须深入一些我们自以为很了解的 危险地方。
But we just have to leave that little bit of openness , to know. 但是我们只需要多一点点沟通,去了解。
openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真;
There's such a disconnect . 实际上是如此的隔离。
disconnect:vt.拆开,使分离;vi.断开;
And for me, it's trying to bridge that disconnect. 对于我来说,是试图消除这个隔膜。
I'll share one story. 我再分享一个故事。
I get -- I'm often asked, you know, for me, what have been some of the special moments from having worked on this film. 在--我经常被问到,你知道,对于我, 在制作这部影片的过程中最特别的几个时刻。
And at screenings , inevitably -- you know, as I'm sure all of you obviously do speaking stuff -- usually you have people who hang around and want to ask you more questions. 筛选之后,必然的-- 你知道,我确认各位都会做演讲-- 有那么多的人围住你想要提出各种问题。
screenings:n.筛后残余的物;[建]筛屑;残渣; inevitably:adv.不可避免地;必然地; hang around:闲荡;徘徊;
And usually the first questions are, "Oh, what kind of cameras did you use?" 通常情况下首先的问题是, “哦,你使用什么样的录像机?”
Or you know, these things. 或者是,这一类的问题。
But there's always a few guys, almost always, who are the last ones. 但总是有几个人,几乎每次都是,他们也是最后才问。
And I've learned over time that those are always the soldiers. 逐渐的我才知道,这些人总是士兵。
They wait until pretty much everybody's gone. 他们一直等到差不多所有人都离开。
And for me, one of the most profound stories someone shared with me, that then became my story, was -- for those of you who haven't seen the film, and it's not a spoiler -- 对于我来说,别人告诉我的最深刻的故事, 后来成为了我的故事,是-- 对于一些没有看过影片的人,它不是煞风景的一个事--
profound:adj.深厚的;意义深远的;渊博的; spoiler:n.剧透(透露与电影,书籍或者游戏内容有关的信息。);
it's very common there are a lot of civilian accidents where people get in front of Humvees and they get killed. 许多的平民意外事故发生--其实这很普遍 人们挡住了战车然后被杀掉。
civilian:adj.民用的;百姓的,平民的;n.平民,百姓;
In this film, there is a scene where an Iraqi woman is killed. 在电影里,有一幕就是一个伊拉克妇女被杀害。
A soldier came up to me and stood, you know really, pretty close -- a foot away from me. 一个士兵走到我跟前,站住,你可以想象,非常的近-- 离我一英尺。
He's a big guy. 他是个大块头。
And he looked at me, and I smiled, and then I saw the tears start welling up in his eyes. 他看着我,然后我微笑, 然后我看到他眼中开始盈满泪水。
And he wasn't going to blink . 他没有眨眼。
blink:vt.眨眼;使…闪烁;vi.眨眼;闪烁;n.眨眼;瞬间;闪光;
And he said, "My gunner was throwing candy." 然后说道,“我的炮手当时在扔糖果。”
gunner:n.炮手,枪手;火炮瞄准手;经常投篮的投手;
And I knew what he was going to say. 我知道他接下来要说什么。
The gunner was throwing candy. 炮手当时在扔糖果。
They used to throw candy to the kids. 他们经常向孩子们扔糖果。
Kids got too close, very often. 孩子们离的太近了,很多时候都是这样。
And he said, "I killed a child. 然后他说,“我打死了一个孩子。
And I'm a father. I have children. 我是一个父亲,我也还有孩子。
I haven't been able to tell my wife. 我无法告诉妻子这件事。
I'm afraid she's going to think I'm a monster ." 我担心她会认为我是个魔鬼。”
monster:n.怪物;恶魔;庞然大物;adj.巨大的;
I hugged him, of course, and I said, you know, "It's going to be OK." 我给了他一个拥抱,理所当然。 然后我说,你知道,“会没事的。”
And he said, "I'm going to bring her to see your film. 然后他说,“我会带她去看你的纪录片。
And then I'm going to tell her." 然后我要向她坦白。”
So when I talk about a disconnect, it's not only for maybe those people who don't know a soldier. 因此我所说的隔阂, 并不仅仅针对那些不了解士兵的人。
Which there obviously are -- you know, these days. 这样的人肯定会有--你知道,现如今。
It's not like World War II, where there was a war front and a home front , and everybody seemed involved . 这并不像二战那样,有前线和大后方(这样的概念), 每个人都要参与其中。
home front:n.(战时的)后方民众; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
You can go for days here and not feel like there's a war going on. (现在)你可以照常生活,感觉不到其实还有战争在进行。
And often I'll hear people say, who maybe know that I did this film, and they say, "Oh, you know, I'm against the war but I support the soldiers." 我经常听到人们说, 他们或许知道我做了这个电影, 他们说,“哦,你知道,我反对战争,但是我支持这些士兵们。”
And I've started to ask them, "Well, that's nice -- what are you doing? 然后我开始问他们, “哦,听起来不错--那你都做了什么?
Are you volunteering at a VA? 你参加美国志愿军了吗?
volunteering:v.自愿做;义务做;无偿做;当志愿兵(volunteer的现在分词)
You go and see anybody? 你去看望一些人了吗?
Do you -- if you find out your neighbor's been do you spend some time? 你是否--如果你发现自己的邻居就是士兵,你会花点时间和他们在一块吗?
Not necessarily ask questions, but see if they want to talk? 不一定提问,只是呆在一起,看看他们是否想倾诉?
necessarily:adv.必要地;必定地,必然地;
Do you give money to any of the charities ?" 你捐助过任何的慈善组织吗?”
charities:n.慈善机构;宽大(charity的复数);
You know, obviously, like Dean Kamen's working on that amazing thing -- but there's charities where you can sponsor computers for wounded soldiers. 你知道,显然,类似Dean Kamen从事的这种非凡的工作-- 但是你可以向很多慈善机构捐助电脑,帮助受伤的士兵们。
Dean:n.院长;系主任;教务长;主持牧师; sponsor:n.赞助商; v.主办;
I think I challenge us to say -- to operationalize those terms when we say we support someone, you know? 我想我质问大家-- 去把那些我们声称的支持某些人的话付诸实践,好吗?
operationalize:vt.使开始运转;实施;使用于操作;
Are you a friend to them? 你是他们的朋友吗?
Do you really care? 你真的在乎(他们)吗?
And I would just say it's my hope, and I would ask you guys, to please, you know, reach out a hand. 我想说我的希望是,我请求大家, 拜托,你知道,伸出手来。
And really do give them a hug. 真诚的给予一个拥抱。
Thank you. 谢谢大家。