返回首页

DeborahLipstadt_2017X-_否认犹太大屠杀的谎言背后_

I come to you today to speak of liars , lawsuits and laughter. 我今天要聊说谎的人、 聊官司、 聊些好笑的事。
liars:说谎者;撒谎者(liar的复数); lawsuits:n.诉讼,法律诉讼;控诉(lawsuit的复数形式);
The first time I heard about Holocaust denial , 初次听到有人否认犹太大屠杀,
Holocaust:n.大屠杀;毁灭; denial:n.否认;否定;剥夺(应有的权利);拒不承认(令人不快、痛苦的事);
I laughed. 我就笑了。
Holocaust denial? 否认犹太大屠杀?
The Holocaust which has the dubious distinction of being the best-documented genocide in the world? 是那个史上最恶名昭彰, 被最完整记录的犹太大屠杀吗?
dubious:adj.可疑的;暧昧的;无把握的;半信半疑的; distinction:n.区别;区分;差别;卓越; genocide:n.种族灭绝;灭绝整个种族的大屠杀;
Who could believe it didn't happen? 谁会相信没有这回事?
Think about it. 你想想看,
For deniers to be right, who would have to be wrong? 如果那些否认者是对的, 那谁是错的?
deniers:n.否认者;极微量;极少量的金额;法国旧银币;
Well, first of all , the victims — the survivors who have told us their harrowing stories. 首先,受害者, 说出恐怖经历的幸存者。
first of all:adv.首先; harrowing:adj.令人痛心的; v.耙地; (harrow的现在分词)
Who else would have to be wrong? 还会有谁是错的?
The bystanders . 旁观者。
bystanders:n.旁观者(bystander的复数);
The people who lived in the myriads of towns and villages and cities on the Eastern front, who watched their neighbors be rounded up — men, women, children, young, old — and be marched to the outskirts of the town to be shot and left dead in ditches . 东方战线上, 无数城镇、村庄、城市的居民, 看着他们的邻居被围捕, 不分男女老少, 被驱赶到城镇外围, 中枪后就被丢在壕沟内等死。
myriads:n.无数;(诗)万;adj.无数的;众多方面的;(myriads是myriad的复数); Eastern:adj.东方的;向东的;东部的;东方国家的;n.东方人;东正教信徒; outskirts:n.郊区;市郊;(市镇的)边缘地带;(outskirt的复数) ditches:n.(马术)沟; vt.挖沟(ditch的第三人称单数);
Or the Poles , who lived in towns and villages around the death camps, who watched day after day as the trains went in filled with people and came out empty. 还有波兰人, 住在集中营附近的城镇和村庄。 日复一日看着 装满人的火车驶入, 然后空空地离开。
Poles:n.极点(pole的复数形式);雪杖;杆位次数; day after day:日复一日;
But above all, who would have to be wrong? 除了这些人,还有谁是错的?
The perpetrators . 加害者。
perpetrators:n.作恶者;行凶者;犯罪者;(perpetrator的复数)
The people who say, "We did it.I did it." 他们承认「是我们做的、是我做的」。
Now, maybe they add a caveat . 也许他们会加上但书,
caveat:n.警告;告诫;
They say, "I didn't have a choice;I was forced to do it." 会说「我别无选择、我是被逼的」。
But nonetheless , they say, "I did it." 但至少他们承认「我有做」。
nonetheless:adv.尽管如此,但是;
Think about it. 想想看。
In not one war crimes trial since the end of World War II has a perpetrator of any nationality ever said, "It didn't happen." 二战结束之后每一场审判, 没有任何国籍的任何战犯 说过「没有大屠杀」。
Again, they may have said, "I was forced," 顶多说「身不由己」,
but never that it didn't happen. 但绝不否认。
Having thought that through, 想了一轮之后,
I decided denial was not going to be on my agenda; 我就决定不去碰这件事。
I had bigger things to worry about, to write about, to research,and I moved on. 我有其他要费心的工作和研究, 所以我就不管了。
Fast-forward a little over a decade, and two senior scholars — two of the most prominent historians of the Holocaust — approached me and said, "Deborah, let's have coffee. 约略十多年后, 两位资深的学者, 两位犹太大屠杀的历史权威, 来找我说, 「黛博拉,一起喝杯咖啡吧。
Fast-forward:n.快进功能;adj.进展迅速的;vi.快进;vt.使快进; senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人; scholars:n.学者们(scholar的复数); prominent:adj.突出的,显著的;杰出的;卓越的; approached:v.走近;临近;探讨;建议;(approach的过去分词和过去式)
We have a research idea that we think is perfect for you." 我们有个研究构想,蛮适合你的。」
Intrigued and flattered that they came to me with an idea and thought me worthy of it, 一方面好奇,一方面觉得榮幸, 他们会找上我做研究。
Intrigued:adj.感兴趣的; v.密谋; (intrigue的过去式和过去分词) flattered:adj.感到满意的,觉得荣幸的; v.奉承; (flatter的过去式和过去分词) worthy:adj.值得的; n.杰出人物;
I asked, "What is it?" 我就问「什么主题?」
And they said, "Holocaust denial." 他们说「否认犹太大屠杀」。
And for the second time, I laughed. 第二次听到,我又笑了。
Holocaust denial? 否认犹太大屠杀?
The Flat Earth folks? 是相信「地平说」的人吗?
The Elvis-is-alive people? 还是相信猫王还活着的人?
I should study them? 要我研究他们?
And these two guys said, "Yeah, we're intrigued. 他们就说, 「对,我们很好奇。
What are they about? 他们是什么人?
What's their objective ? 目的是什么?
objective:n.目标; adj.客观的;
How do they manage to get people to believe what they say?" 他们为什么要大费周章地 让大众相信他们?」
So thinking, if they thought it was worthwhile , 我就想,如果他们觉得有必要,
worthwhile:adj.值得做的,值得花时间的;
I would take a momentary diversion — maybe a year, maybe two,three, maybe even four — in academic terms, that's momentary. 我可以稍微研究「一下」, 也许一、两年,或三、四年, 学术研究的「一下」很随兴。
momentary:adj.瞬间的;短暂的;随时会发生的; diversion:n.转移;消遣;分散注意力; academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者;
(Laughter) (笑声)
We work very slowly. 一切慢慢来。
(Laughter) (笑声)
And I would look at them. 我就去做研究。
So I did. 总之就这样。
I did my research, and I came up with a number of things, two of which I'd like to share with you today. 研究完成后,我得出几点结论, 今天特别要分享其中两点。
One: deniers are wolves in sheep's clothing. 第一: 否认者是披着羊皮的狼。
They are the same: Nazis, neo-Nazis — you can decide whether you want to put a "neo" there or not. 骨子里一样是纳粹、新纳粹, 加不加「新」没什么差。
neo-Nazis:n.新纳粹分子(neo-Nazi的复数形式);
But when I looked at them, 但你去看这些人,
I didn't see any SS-like uniforms , swastika-like symbols on the wall, none of that. 他们不穿纳粹亲卫队制服, 墙上也没有卍字符号, 一个都没有。
uniforms:n.制服;军服;军人;v.使穿制服;(uniform的复数第三人称单词) symbols:n.符号;象征;标志;符号表(symbol的复数);
What I found instead were people parading as respectable academics . 相反的, 他们装成德高望重的学者。
parading:v.游行;游行庆祝;游行示威;展览;展示;(parade的现在分词) respectable:adj.值得尊敬的;人格高尚的;相当数量的;n.可敬的人; academics:n.学术水平;学术知识;专业学者;
What did they have? 还有呢?
They had an institute . 他们有一间学院,
institute:v.开始(调查);制定;创立;提起(诉讼);n.学会,协会;学院;
An "Institute for Historical Review." 叫「历史评论学院」。
Historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的;
a " Journal of Historical Review." 「历史评论期刊」。
Journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报;
One filled with papers — footnote-laden papers. 里面都是论文, 充满注脚的论文。
And they had a new name. 而且他们有个新名字。
Not neo-Nazis, revisionists . 不是新纳粹, 是「修正主义者」。
revisionists:n.修正主义者;adj.修正主义的;持修正主义论的;
They said, "We are revisionists. 他们自称「修正主义者」。
We are out to do one thing: to revise mistakes in history." 目标只有一个: 要修正历史的谬误。
revise:v.修改;复习;改变;温习;n.校订;[印]再校样;
But all you had to do was go one inch below the surface, and what did you find there? 但如果你掀开他们的表面, 会看到什么?
The same adulation of Hitler, praise of the Third Reich , anti-Semitism , racism , prejudice . 一样的希特勒崇拜, 对第三帝国的赞扬, 反犹太、种族主义、充满偏见。
adulation:n.奉承;谄媚; Third Reich:n.第三帝国(1933至1945年间的德国纳粹政权); anti-Semitism:n.反犹太主义; racism:n.种族主义,种族歧视;人种偏见; prejudice:n.偏见;侵害;vt.损害;使有偏见;
This is what intrigued me. 我感兴趣的是这个:
It was anti-Semitism, racism, prejudice, parading as rational discourse . 反犹太、种族主义和偏见歧视, 披者理性论述的外衣。
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的; discourse:n.论述;谈话;演讲;vi.演说;谈论;讲述;vt.说出;演奏出;
The other thing I found — many of us have been taught to think there are facts and there are opinions —after studying deniers, 另一个发现是, 有些话是事实,有些是意见, 但研究过这些人之后,
I think differently. 我改观了。
There are facts, there are opinions, and there are lies. 有些话是事实、 有些话是意见、 还有些是谎言。
And what deniers want to do is take their lies, dress them up as opinions — maybe edgy opinions, maybe sort of out-of-the-box opinions — but then if they're opinions, they should be part of the conversation. 这些否认者想做的是把谎言, 包装成意见, 好像很前卫的意见, 有点跳脱框架的意见, 一旦这被当成意见, 就会被纳入讨论。
edgy:adj.急躁的;尖利的;刀口锐利的; out-of-the-box:adj.拆盒即可使用的;开箱即用的;
And then they encroach on the facts. 然后渐渐盖过事实。
encroach on:侵犯;蚕食;
I published my work —the book was published, " Denying the Holocaust: The Growing Assault on Truth and Memory," 我把研究出版成一本书, 书名是《否认大屠杀》。
Denying:v.否认;否定;拒绝承认;拒绝给予;(deny的现在分词) Assault:v.袭击;殴打;威胁;非议;(assault的现在分词)
it came out in many different countries, including here in Penguin UK, and I was done with those folks and ready to move on. 在很多国家发行, 包括英国这边是企鹅出版。 然后我就决定要做我的正事了。
Penguin:n.企鹅;
Then came the letter from Penguin UK. 这时企鹅出版寄了封信给我。
And for the third time, I laughed ... 这是第三次我为此大笑......
mistakenly . 但这次不好笑了。
mistakenly:adv.错误地;曲解地,被误解地;
I opened the letter, and it informed me that David Irving was bringing a libel suit against me in the United Kingdom for calling him a Holocaust denier. 我打开信, 信里说大卫艾文要告我诽谤, 在英国这边告。 理由是称他「大屠杀否认者」。
informed:adj.见多识广的; v.通知; (inform的过去分词和过去式) libel:n.诽谤罪; vt.中伤; vi.进行文字诽谤; United Kingdom:n.英国;
David Irving suing me? 大卫艾文要告我?
suing:v.控告:提起诉讼:(sue的现在分词)
Who was David Irving? 他是何许人也?
David Irving was a writer of historical works, most of them about World War II, and virtually all of those works took the position that the Nazis were really not so bad, and the Allies were really not so good. 他是一位历史作家, 内容多是关于二战, 但他作品的立场全部都是, 纳粹其实没那么坏、 同盟国也没那么好。
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上; Allies:n.盟友,支持者:v.与…结盟(ally的第三人称单数和复数)
And the Jews, whatever happened to them, they sort of deserved it. 犹太人,无论遭遇什么事, 都是罪有应得。
deserved:adj.值得的;该奖[罚]的;v.值得;应得;应受;(deserve的过去分词和过去式)
He knew the documents, he knew the facts, but he somehow twisted them to get this opinion. 他当然知道历史纪录, 他也知道事实, 但他就是想扭曲真相。
somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; twisted:adj.扭曲的; v.使弯曲,使扭曲; (twist的过去分词和过去式)
He hadn't always been a Holocaust denier, but in the late '80s, he embraced it with great vigor . 他不是一开始就否认大屠杀, 但在八零年代晚期, 他变成理论的拥护者。
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式) vigor:n.[生物]活力,精力;
The reason I laughed also was this was a man who not only was a Holocaust denier, but seemed quite proud of it. 我为此大笑也是因为, 他不只是大屠杀否认者, 他还以此为榮。
who said, "I'm going to sink the battleship Auschwitz." 他说「我要戳破奥斯威辛的谎言。」
battleship:n.(美)战舰;
Here was a man who pointed to the number tattooed on a survivor's arm and said, "How much money have you made from having that number tattooed on your arm?" 这个人, 会指着幸存者手臂的编号问, 「你刺一个号码,可以捞多少钱?」
tattooed:v.将花纹刺在…上;给…文身;(tattoo的过去分词和过去式)
Here was a man who said, "More people died in Senator Kennedy's car at Chappaquiddick than died in gas chambers at Auschwitz." 他还说, 「查帕奎迪克事件死的人, 比集中营毒气室 死的人还多。」
Senator:n.参议员; chambers:n.内庭(chamber的复数);
That's an American reference ,but you can look it up. 这是美国梗,意思是毒气室没死人。
reference:n.参考,提及;参考书目;证明书;v.引用;
This was not a man who seemed at all ashamed or reticent about being a Holocaust denier. 这人丝毫不因为否认大屠杀, 感到羞愧或该低调。
ashamed:adj.惭愧;尴尬;因惭愧而不情愿; reticent:adj.沉默的;有保留的;谨慎的;
Now, lots of my academic colleagues counseled me — "Eh, Deborah, just ignore it." 学术界很多朋友都跟我说, 「不要理他就好了。」
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); counseled:v.劝告,建议;(counsel的过去式与过去分词形式) ignore:v.驳回诉讼;忽视;不理睬;
When I explained you can't just ignore a libel suit, they said, "Who's going to believe him anyway?" 我就说诽谤案不能不理啊, 他们说「谁会相信他?」
But here was the problem: 但问题就出在这:
British law put the onus ,put the burden of proof on me to prove the truth of what I said, in contrast to as it would have been in the United States and in many other countries: on him to prove the falsehood . 英国法律上我有举证责任, 要证明我说的是真的。 这点跟美国法律不同, 或跟其他地方的法律比, 应该是他要证明我是错的。
onus:n.责任,义务;负担; burden of proof:n.举证责任; contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比; falsehood:n.说谎;假话;不真实;错误的信仰;
What did that mean? 所以这意味什么?
That meant if I didn't fight, he would win by default . 如果我不跟他打官司, 他就会直接胜诉。
default:n.违约;拖欠;缺席;缺陷;v.违约;拖欠;缺乏;不履行;
And if he won by default, he could then legitimately say, "My David Irving version of the Holocaust is a legitimate version. 如果他直接胜诉, 他就可以正当地说, 「我的犹太大屠杀版本才是对的。
legitimately:adv.合理地;正当地;
Deborah Lipstadt was found to have libeled me when she called me a Holocaust denier. 黛博拉利普斯塔特 对我的诽谤已经败诉, 就如之前我所说的,
libeled:n.诽谤罪; vt.中伤; vi.进行文字诽谤;
Ipso facto , I, David Irving,am not a Holocaust denier." 我不是犹太大屠杀否认者。」
Ipso facto:adv.根据该事实;根据事实本身;
And what is that version? 他的大屠杀版本是怎样?
There was no plan to murder the Jews, there were no gas chambers, there were no mass shootings, 纳粹没有想要杀犹太人, 集中营没有毒气室, 没有大规模枪决。
mass:n.块,团; adj.群众的,民众的; v.聚集起来,聚集;
Hitler had nothing to do with any suffering that went on, and the Jews have made this all up to get money from Germany and to get a state, and they've done it with the aid and abettance of the Allies — they've planted the documents and planted the evidence . 希特勒和这些暴行没有关系, 犹太人捏造这些情节, 来捞德国的钱, 去建立以色列, 一切都是同盟国的阴谋, 他们植入记录又安插证据。
had nothing to do with:与…无关; evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
I couldn't let that stand and ever face a survivor or a child of survivors. 我不能接受这些说法, 也无颜面对幸存者, 或是幸存者后代。
I couldn't let that stand and consider myself a responsible historian. 我不能接受这些说法, 如果我自认是负责的历史学者。
responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
So we fought. 所以我们迎战。
And for those of you who haven't seen "Denial," 如果你还没看《修正》那部电影,
spoiler alert : we won. 我要爆雷: 我们赢了。
spoiler:n.剧透(透露与电影,书籍或者游戏内容有关的信息。); alert:n.警报; adj.警觉的; v.向…报警;
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
The judge found David Irving to be a liar, a racist , an anti-Semite . 法官判决大卫艾文是一个 骗徒、 种族主义者、 反犹太主义者。
racist:n.种族主义者;种族主义的; anti-Semite:n.反犹份子;
His view of history was tendentious , he lied, he distorted and most importantly , he did it deliberately . 他的史观是偏颇的, 他说谎、扭曲事实, 更重要的是, 他是故意的。
tendentious:adj.有偏见的,有倾向的;宣传性的; distorted:adj.歪曲的;受到曲解的;v.扭曲(distort的过去式和过去分词); and most importantly:最主要的是…; deliberately:adv.故意地;谨慎地;慎重地;
We showed a pattern,in over 25 different major instances . 我们发现他 25 篇着作的模式。
instances:n.相依物体,例子; v.举例说明(instance的第三人称单数形式);
Not small things — many of us in this audience write books,are writing books; we always make mistakes, that's why we're glad to have second editions: correct the mistakes. 这数量不小, 在座很多人写过书或正在写书, 我们会笔误,所以才要刷二版, 去订正。
(Laughter) (笑声)
But these always moved in the same direction: blame the Jews, exonerate the Nazis. 但他都是朝同一种方向改: 诋毁犹太人、 幫纳粹洗白。
exonerate:vt.使免罪;
But how did we win? 但我们是怎么赢的?
What we did is follow his footnotes back to his sources . 我们从他的注解去追史料。
footnotes:n.脚注;附注;表下注释(footnote的复数); sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
And what did we find? 结果我们发现什么?
Not in most cases, and not in the preponderance of cases, but in every single instance where he made some reference to the Holocaust, that his supposed evidence was distorted, half-truth , date-changed, sequence-changed, someone put at a meeting who wasn't there. 他大部分的着作, 还有比较受欢迎的着作, 每一篇提到大屠杀的参考资料, 史料都被扭曲过, 半真半假、 修改日期、 改变顺序、 某人出现在根本没去的会议。
preponderance:n.优势;多数;占优势; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) half-truth:n.半真半假的陈述;真假混同的欺骗性的报道;
In other words,he didn't have the evidence. 换句话说,他根本没有证据。
His evidence didn't prove it. 他的史料不能佐证。
We didn't prove what happened. 我们不需要证明发生过的事。
We proved that what he said happened — and by extension , all deniers,because he either quotes them or they get their arguments from him — is not true. 我们只要证明他说的, 甚至其他否认者说,因为他会引用, 或是否认者也会引用他的话, 不是真的。
extension:n.延长;延期;扩大;伸展;电话分机; quotes:n.引用,引号;报价(quote的复数);v.报价(quote的第三人称单数);引用;复述;
they don't have the evidence to prove it. 并没有证据可以支持。
So why is my story more than just the story of a quirky , long, six-year, difficult lawsuit, an American professor being dragged into a courtroom by a man that the court declared in its judgment was a neo-Nazi polemicist ? 所以为什么我的故事, 不只是一个荒谬、长达六年 刁钻诉讼的故事, 也是一个美国教授被一个 法院认证过的新纳粹诡辩者 拖去法院诉讼的故事?
quirky:adj.古怪的;离奇的;诡诈的; courtroom:n.法庭;审判室; judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力; polemicist:n.善于辩论的人;善辩者;有辩才的人;
What message does it have? 这故事有什么意义?
I think in the context of the question of truth, it has a very significant message. 我想在追寻真相的脉络下, 这隐含非常重要的讯息。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
Because today, as we well know, truth and facts are under assault. 因为今日, 如各位所知, 事实和真相面临挑战。
Social media , for all the gifts it has given us, has also allowed the difference between facts — established facts —and lies to be flattened . 社群网站的确惠大众良多, 也让真相,众所皆知的真相 和谎言之间的界线, 变得模糊。
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式) flattened:adj.没精打采的;垂头丧气的;v.平整;打倒(flatten的过去分词);
Third of all: extremism . 第三: 极端主义。
extremism:n.极端主义(尤指政治上的极右或极左);极端性;过激主义;
You may not see Ku Klux Klan robes , you may not see burning crosses, you may not even hear outright white supremacist language. 你不会看见三 K 党的长袍, 不会看见燃烧的十字架, 不会听见右派白人至上主义言论。
Ku Klux Klan:n.三K党(美国南部的白人秘密组织,通过暴力反对社会变革和为黑人争取平等权利); robes:n.长袍;礼服;v.(使)穿上长袍,礼服等(robe的第三人称单数); outright:v.全部地; adj.完全的,彻底的; supremacist:n.至上主义者;adj.至上主义者的;
It may go by names: " alt-right ," 而是「另类右派」、「国民阵线」,
alt-right:另类右派(alternativeright);
'" National Front " — pick your names. 这类的名字。
National Front:n.(英国)民族阵线;
But underneath , it's that same extremism that I found in Holocaust denial parading as rational discourse. 但骨子里是一样的极端主义, 像否认大屠杀一样, 用合理性伪装成的言论。
underneath:prep.在…的下面;在…的支配下;n.下面;底部;adj.下面的;底层的;
We live in an age where truth is on the defensive . 我们居住在一个 真相处于挨打的时代。
defensive:n.辩护;守势;adj.防御的;保护的;保卫的;戒备的;
I'm reminded of a New Yorker cartoon. 我想到《纽约客》的一则漫画。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
A quiz show recently appeared in "The New Yorker" 最近漫画里有一个益智节目,
quiz:n.小测验;知识竞赛;v.盘问;查问;询问; recently:adv.最近;新近;
where the host of the quiz show is saying to one of the contestants , "Yes, ma'am, you had the right answer. 节目主持人对参赛者说, 「小姐,虽然你答对了,
contestants:n.选手;竞争者;争论者;争辩者(contestant的复数);
But your opponent yelled more loudly than you did, so he gets the point." 但对手喊比较大声, 所以他得分。」
opponent:n.对手;竞争者;反对者;阻止者;adj.反对的;
What can we do? 所以我们该怎么办?
First of all, we cannot be beguiled by rational appearances . 首先, 不要被理性的外衣骗了。
beguiled:v.哄骗(某人做某事); (beguile的过去分词和过去式) appearances:n.露面;外观;出现;表面的迹象[征兆];(appearance的复数)
We've got to look underneath, and we will find there the extremism. 我们要看破表相, 揪出隐藏的极端主义。
Second of all, we must understand that truth is not relative . 第二, 要了解真相是绝对,不是相对的。
relative:adj.相对的;有关系的;成比例的;n.亲戚;相关物;[语]关系词;亲缘植物;
Number three, we must go on the offensive , not the defensive. 第三, 我们要反守为攻, 不能一味挨打。
offensive:n.进攻;攻势;攻击;侵犯;adj.冒犯的;得罪人的;无礼的;
When someone makes an outrageous claim , even though they may hold one of the highest offices in the land, we must say to them, "Where's the proof? 当有人发表荒谬言论, 就算他们可能位居高位, 我们也要质问他, 「证据在哪里?」
outrageous:adj.粗暴的;可恶的;令人吃惊的; claim:v.要求;声称;需要;认领;n.要求;声称;索赔;断言;值得;
Where's the evidence?" 「你拿什么证明?」
We must hold their feet to the fire. 不能轻易放过他们。
We must not treat it as if their lies are the same as the facts. 谎言跟真相绝对不能一视同仁。
treat:v.治疗;处理;招待;款待;n.款待;乐事;乐趣;
And as I said earlier,truth is not relative. 就像我说的,真相不是相对的。
as I said:正如我所说的
Many of us have grown up in the world of the academy and enlightened liberal thought, where we're taught everything is open to debate . 很多人都跟着学术、 自由、启发的思想长大, 认为什么事都可以讨论。
academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校; enlightened:adj.开明的; v.启发; (enlighten的过去分词和过去式) liberal:adj.宽宏大度的; n.理解且尊重他人意见的人; debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑;
But that's not the case. 但这种事例外。
There are certain things that are true. 有些事就是真理。
There are indisputable facts — objective truths. 有些事实不容质疑, 是客观的真相。
indisputable:adj.明白的;无争论之余地的;
Galileo taught it to us centuries ago. 伽利略几世纪前就说了。
Even after being forced to recant by the Vatican that the Earth moved around the Sun, he came out, and what is he reported to have said? 就算教廷逼他认错, 说地球不是绕着太阳转。 他步出宗教法庭, 记载说他讲了什么?
recant:vi.宣布放弃;公开认错;vt.放弃;撤回; Vatican:n.梵蒂冈;罗马教廷;
'"And yet, it still moves." 「可是,地球依然绕着太阳转。」
The Earth is not flat. 地球不是平的。
The climate is changing. 气候正在变迁。
Elvis is not alive. 猫王已经死了。
(Laughter) (笑声)
(Applause) (掌声)
And most importantly, truth and fact are under assault. 更重要的是, 真相和事实备受挑战。
The job ahead of us, the task ahead of us, the challenge ahead of us is great. 我们眼前的工作、 眼前的任务、 眼前的挑战, 太大了。
The time to fight is short. 没时间浪费。
We must act now. 我们要马上行动。
Later will be too late. 再迟就来不及了。
Thank you very much. 谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)