返回首页

DeanKamen_2007-_展示新的假肢_

I got a visit, just almost exactly a year ago, a little over a year ago, from a very senior person at the Department of Defense. 刚好一年以前,我接待了一位高官, 此人来自美国国防部.
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
Came to see me and said, "1,600 of the kids that we've sent out have come back missing at least one full arm. 他提道: 在派驻外国的士兵之中,有一千六百人 至少丢了一个完整的胳膊,
Whole arm. Shoulder disartic. 想象一下,整个胳膊!
And we're doing the same thing we did for, more or less , that we've done since the Civil War, a stick and a hook . 自美国南北战争以来,我们一直都在使用假肢来帮助他们, 这种情况一直没有改观,
more or less:或多或少; Civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的; hook:n.钩;挂钩;鱼钩;钓钩;v.挂住;箍住;钓(鱼);打曲线球;
And they deserve more than that." 我们应该为他们做得更多.
deserve:vi.应受,应得;
And literally , this guy sat in my office in New Hampshire and said, "I want you to give me something that we can put on these kids that'll pick up a raisin or a grape off a table, 这位长官坐在我的新罕布什尔办公室, 一字一顿的说 我要你给我们造一个机器 这个装置可以从桌上拿葡萄干或者葡萄
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: Hampshire:n.汉普郡(英国南部之一郡); raisin:n.葡萄干;
they'll be able to put it in their mouth without destroying either one, and they'll be able to know the difference without looking at it." 放在嘴巴, 凭着这个装置,他们能分辨出什么是葡萄干,什么是葡萄
You know, had efferent , afferent , and haptic response . 这个装置应该有触觉 .
efferent:n.传出神经;输出管;adj.传出的,输出的; afferent:adj.[生理]传入的,输入的; haptic:adj.触觉的; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
He finishes explaining that, and I'm waiting for the big 300 pound paper proposal , and he said, "That's what I want from you." 他解释完他的想法以后,我就在等重达300磅的文件, 这就是我需要的 ,他说道.
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
I said, "Look, you're nuts. That technology's just not available right now. 你又在胡思乱想了 ,我说道.
And it can't be done. 这种技术现在不存在,我也没办法做.
Not in an envelope of a human arm, with 21 degrees of freedom, from your shoulder to your fingertips ." 从肩到手指的21度角范围内, 这是人类胳膊可抓取的范围 .
envelope:n.信封,封皮;包膜;[天]包层;包迹; fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数)
He said, "About two dozen of these 1,600 kids have come back bilateral . 他说: 在这一千六百些幼童以内有差不多二十四位双臂截肢的人.
bilateral:adj.双边的;有两边的;
You think it's bad to lose one arm? 也许你觉得丢一个胳膊很惨,
That's an inconvenience compared to having both of them gone." 可是对于失去双臂的人来说,那只是一点点不方便而已 .
inconvenience:n.不便;麻烦;困难;带来不便者;;v.给(某人)造成不便(或带来麻烦); compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词)
I got a day job, and my nights and weekends are already filled up with things like, let's supply water to the world, and power to the world, and educate all the kids, which, Chris, I will not talk about. I don't need another mission . 我白天有正式工作 晚上和周末还要研究怎么解决世界的饮用水,电能的困难, 以及教育小孩子, 这些我不想多说了,Chris.我已经很忙了,不想做这个.
mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
I keep thinking about these kids with no arms. 我还是在想那些没有胳膊的孩子.
He says to me, "We've done some work around the country. 他对我说: 实际上我们在国内已经有了一些成就了。
We've got some pretty amazing neurology and other people." 我们已经发现了一些神经网络学方面的人才和技术 .
neurology:n.神经病学;神经学;
I said, "I'll take a field trip , I'll go see what you got." 于是我说道:“那我去看看吧, 俗话说,百闻不如一见”
field trip:n.(常指学生进行的)野外考察;
Over the next month I visited lots of places, some out here, around the country, found the best of the best. 接下来一个月,我考察了很多地方, 发现了顶尖的专家.
I went down to Washington, I saw these guys, and said, "I did what you asked me. I looked at what's out there. 调查以后,我到了华盛顿, 见了这些人, 告诉他们, ”我照你说的做了,我看了你们所做的.
I still think you're nuts. But not as nuts as I thought." 我还是认为你的想法很荒谬,但是没有我之前认为的那么荒谬了 .
I put a team together, a little over 13 months ago, got up to 20 some-odd people. 我组建一个团队,十三月以前, 大概20多人的团队.
We said, we're going to build a device that does what he wants. 我们决定同心协力,把那个装置照他说的那样造出来.
device:n.装置;策略;图案;
We have 14 out of the 21 degrees of freedom; you don't need the ones in the last two fingers . 21度角中,其中14度可灵活转动, 不需要最小手指的力量。
two fingers:n.(手心向里,表示侮蔑的)V字形手势;
We put this thing together. 我们把它做出来了。
A couple of weeks ago we took it down to Walter Reed , which is unfortunately more in the news these days. 两个星期以前,我们把这架义肢送达沃尔特 ·里德医院。 这个医院最近总是有不幸的消息传出。
Reed:n.芦笛;[植]芦苇;芦苇杆;[乐]舌簧; unfortunately:adv.不幸地;
We showed it to a bunch of guys. 我们展示了这个装置如何运作。
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆;
One guy who described himself as being lucky, because he lost his left arm, and he's a righty . 其中有个人自认为很幸运, 因为他是右撇子的人, 只失掉了左边的胳臂.
described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式) righty:n.右派,保守派;adj.右派的;用右手的;adv.用右手地;
He sat at a table with seven or eight of these other guys. 他跟七八个人坐在一起.
Said he was lucky, because he had his good arm, and then he pushed himself back from the table. He had no legs. 不停地说他运气好,因为还有一只胳膊. 他把自己从桌子旁推开, 原来他没有腿脚.
These kids have attitudes that you just can't believe. 你很难相信他们的态度。
attitudes:n.态度,看法(attitude复数);
So I'm going to show you now, without the skin on it, a 30-second piece, and then I'm done. 现在我要你们看一看三十秒钟的录像片段。 这个机械装置没有人造外边的皮肤。放完录像后,我的演讲就结束了。
But understand: what you're looking at we made small enough to fit on a 50th percentile female , so that we could put it in any of these people. 你们现在看到的这架义肢并不是那么大 因为义肢也应该适应妇女的尺寸 所以男人,女人都能用这架装置。
percentile:adj.百分率的;按百等分排列的;n.百分位; female:adj.女性的;雌性的;柔弱的,柔和的;n.女人;[动]雌性动物;
It's going to go inside something that we use in CAT scans and 我们使用CAT和MRI技术,
MRIs of whatever is their good arm, to make a silicon rubber , then coat it, and paint it in 3D, exact mirror image of their other limb . 以好的胳膊为原型绘制, 使用硅胶制作,使用三维涂料, 义肢外面手套上也有三维涂颜层,颜色很准确。
silicon:n.[化学]硅;硅元素; rubber:n.橡胶;橡皮;v.涂橡胶于…; mirror image:n.镜像;映像;反像; limb:n.肢,臂;分支;枝干;v.切断…的手足;从…上截下树枝;
So you won't see all the really cool stuff that's in this series elastic set of 14 actuators , each one which has its own capability to sense temperature and pressure. 我们实际上看不到这14个弹性机械手的个中玄机 它们每一个都能自行感知压力和温度
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本: series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书; elastic:n.橡皮圈;adj.有弹力(弹性)的;伸缩自如的;机变的; actuators:n.[电]致动器,制动器(actuator复数形式); capability:n.才能,能力;性能,容量;
It also has a pneumatic cuff that holds it on, so the more they put themselves under load, the more it attaches . 义肢也有气动的袖口 你越用力,它跟身体连接的越紧
pneumatic:adj.气动的;充气的;有气胎的;n.气胎; cuff:n.袖口,裤子翻边; vt.给…上袖口; vi.殴斗,拳击; attaches:n.连接物; v.附加;
They take the load off, and it becomes, again, compliant . 要是减小载重,义肢又松弛。
compliant:adj.顺从的;服从的;应允的;
I'm going to show you a guy doing a couple of simple things with this that we demonstrated in Washington. Can we look at this thing? 让我们来看看真人使用它做一些简单的事情, 这些动作跟在华盛顿演示的动作是一样的。一起来看看吧。
demonstrated:v.证明;证实;论证;说明;表达;(demonstrate的过去分词和过去式)
Watch the fingers grab . The thumb comes up. Wrist . 看一看手指抓住。大拇指上升。手腕。
grab:v.攫取;霸占;将…深深吸引;n.攫取;霸占;夺取之物; thumb:v.翻阅;以拇指拨弄;作搭车手势;笨拙地摆弄;n.拇指; Wrist:n.手腕;腕关节;v.用腕力移动[送出,抛掷等];
This weighs 6.9 pounds. 瓶子重6.9磅。
Going to scratch his nose. 现在他开始挠鼻子。
scratch:n.擦伤; adj.打草稿用的; v.抓;
It's got 14 active degrees of freedom. 14度的活动范围。
Now he's going to pick up a pen with his opposed thumb and index finger . 他正在用食指跟大拇指把一支钢笔拿起来。
opposed:adj.强烈反对; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的过去分词和过去式) index finger:n.食指;
Now he's going to put that down, pick up a piece of paper, rotate all the degrees of freedom in his hand and wrist, and read it. 就把它放下。然后他把一张纸拿起来, 旋转一倍,得心应手。
rotate:v.旋转;转动;轮换;使…轮流;
(Applause) [掌声]