返回首页

DavidLogan_2009-_部落领导_

What we're really here to talk about is the "how." 我们在此真正讨论的是怎么做
Okay, so how exactly do we create this world-shattering , if you will, innovation ? 好的,那么我们究竟是怎么创造这 世界震惊的创新,如果你愿意
world-shattering:非常重大的;震撼世界的; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法;
Now, I want to tell you a quick story. 现在,我想跟大家分享一个小故事
We'll go back a little more than a year. 让我们把时间倒回一年多以前
In fact, the date -- I'm curious to know if any of you know what happened on this momentous date? 事实上,关于那个日子,我很好奇地想知道 你们当中是否有人知道在哪个重大的日子发生了什么
curious:adj.好奇的,有求知欲的;古怪的;爱挑剔的; momentous:adj.重要的;重大的;
It was February 3rd, 2008. 那是2008年2月3号
Anyone remember what happened, 有人知道那天发生了什么,
February 3rd, 2008? 2008年2月3号
Super Bowl . I heard it over here. It was the date of the Super Bowl . 超级碗。我从那听见了。那正是超级碗的日子
Super Bowl:n.(美国)超级碗橄榄球赛;
And the reason that this date was so momentous is what my colleagues , John King and Hailey Fischer-Wright, and I noticed as we began to debrief various Super Bowl parties, is that it seemed to us that across the United States, if you will, tribal councils had convened . 正是这个原因这个日子才如此重大 我的同事,约翰.金 和 海利,华特和我注意到 当我们开始调查一些超级碗团体时 我们发现似乎 贯穿全美 如果你愿意,部落委员会已经召集了
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); debrief:vt.盘问;听取报告; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式) tribal:adj.部落的;部族的;n.(尤指南亚的)部落成员; councils:n.委员会(council的复数);理事会; convened:v.召集;集合;召唤;(convene的过去式和过去分词)
And they had discussed things of great national importance. 并且他们讨论了一些有国家重要性的事
Like, "Do we like the Budweiser commercial ?" 比如,我们喜欢百威的广告吗
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
And, "Do we like the nachos ?" And, "Who is going to win?" 我们喜欢墨西哥玉米片吗以及哪一方会赢
nachos:n.(墨西哥人食用的)烤干酪辣味玉米片(nacho的复数);
But they also talked about which candidate they were going to support. 但是他们也讨论他们将会支持哪一个候选人
And if you go back in time to February 3rd, 如果把时间倒回2月3号
It looked like Hilary Clinton was going to get the Democratic nomination . 当时希拉里看似将要得到民主党的提名
Democratic:adj.民主的;民主政治的;大众的; nomination:n.任命,提名;提名权;
And there were even some polls that were saying she was going to go all the way. 甚至一些民调表示她将会一路走下去
polls:n.民意调查; v.对…进行民意测验,使投票(poll的单三形式);
But when we talked to people, it appeared that a funnel effect had happened in these tribes all across the United States. 但是当我们与民众交谈时 我们发现貌似一个漏斗效应已经发生 在这些遍布在美国大地上的部落之中
funnel:n.漏斗;烟囱;v.通过漏斗或烟囱等;使成漏斗形;
Now what is a tribe ? Tribe is a group of about 20 -- so kind of more than a team -- 20 to about 150 people. 那么部落是什么呢? 部落是一个小组 包括20人,看上去更像一个团队 20到大约150人
tribe:n.部落;族;宗族;一伙;
And it's within these tribes that all of our work gets done. 我们的研究成果正是基于这些部落
But not just work. It's within these tribes that societies get built, that important things happen. 不仅仅是研究工作。由于这些部落 社会得以建立 重要的事情得以发生
And so as we surveyed the, if you will, representatives from various tribal councils that met, also known as Super Bowl parties, we sent the following email off to 40 newspaper editors the following day. 所以如果你愿意,当我们调查一些代表 他们来自各种部落委员会,他们相见 他们也知道超级碗团体 第二天我们发送了如下的电子邮件给40位报纸编辑
surveyed:v.调查,俯视(survey的过去式和过去分词形式);考察,调研; representatives:n.代表;众议院(representative的复数形式);
February 4th, we posted it on our website. This was before Super Tuesday . 2月4号,我们将结果发布在我们的网站上,这一切都早于超级星期二
Super Tuesday:n.超级星期二(美国几个州的初选日);
We said, "The tribes that we're in are saying it's going to be Obama." 我们说:我们所在的部落表明 胜出者将会是奥巴马
Now the reason we knew that was because we spent the previous 10 years studying tribes, studying these naturally occurring groups. 我们知道这个结果的原因是 我们花费了过去的十年 研究部落,研究自然地形成的团体
previous:adj.以前的;早先的;过早的;adv.在先;在…以前; naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; occurring:n.事件;事故;事变;
All of you are members of tribes. 你们所有人都是部落的一员
In walking around at the break many of you had met members of your tribe. And you were talking to them. 当你在休息散步时 你们中的许多人会遇见你们部落的成员,然后你们相互交谈
And many of you were doing what great, if you will, tribal leaders do, which is to find someone who is a member of a tribe, and to find someone else who is another member of a different tribe, and make introductions. 并且,如果你们愿意,你们当中许多人做着一些伟大的部落领导者所作的事 那就是找到 你部落的一个人 然后找到一个属于另一个的部落的人 最后相互介绍他们
That is in fact what great tribal leaders do. 事实上这就是伟大的部落领导人所做的
So here is the bottom line . 这就是一条底限
the bottom line:底线;本质内容;最底线;
If you focus in on a group like this -- this happens to be a USC game -- and you zoom in with one of those super satellite cameras, and do magnification factors so you could see individual people, you would in fact see not a single crowd, just like there is not a single crowd here, but you would see these tribes that are then coming together. 如果你关注一个像这样的部落 它刚好是终极格斗冠军赛 你拉近那些超级人造卫星照相机的镜头 放大图像直到你可以看到单一的个人 事实上你看到的将不再是一个单一的群组 就像这儿也没有一个单一群组一样 但你会看到这些部落正逐步聚合
magnification:n.放大;放大率;放大的复制品; factors:n.因素(factor的复数); v.做代理商; individual:n.个人;有个性的人;adj.单独的;个别的;
And from a distance it appears that it's a single group. 所以从一定距离看来它就像一个单一的团体
And so people form tribes. 人们所以形成部落
They always have. They always will. 他们总是这么做,他们总是愿意做
Just as fish swim and birds fly, people form tribes. It's just what we do. 好比鱼儿水中游,鸟儿天上飞 人类组成部落。天性使然
But here's the rub . 但是这其中也有摩擦
rub:n.擦;抹;搓;揉;v.擦;磨;搓;(使)相互磨擦;
Not all tribes are the same. 并不是所有的部落都是一模一样的
And what makes the difference is the culture. 文化让部落产生不同
Now here is the net out of this. 这就是从中产生的网络
You're all a member of tribes. 你们都是部落中的一员
If you can find a way to take the tribes that you're in and nudge them forward, along these tribal stages to what we call Stage Five, which is the top of the mountain. 如果你可以找到一途径带领你所在部落 并推动他们向前 沿着部落的那些发展阶段 直到我们所谓的顶峰——阶段五
nudge:n.推动; vt.推进; vi.轻推;
But we're going to start with what we call Stage One. 但是我们必须从我们称之阶段一的地方开始
Now this is the lowest of the stages. 这是最底层的阶段
You don't want this. Okay? 你们不想要这个。对吧?
This is a bit of a difficult image to put up on the screen. 把这张图放上屏幕可能有点困难
But it's one that I think we need to learn from. 但是我认为我们应该从中有所学习
Stage One produces people who do horrible things. 阶段一产生 做出可怕事情的人
horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
This is the kid who shot up Virginia Tech. 这是制造弗吉尼亚校园枪击案的那个孩子
Virginia:adj.弗吉尼亚州的;
Stage One is a group where people systematically sever relationships from functional tribes, and then pool together with people who think like they do. 阶段一是一些人 他们系统地从功能性的部落切断联系 然后汇集到一起 和那些认同他们所作所为的人一起
systematically:adv.有系统地;有组织地; sever:v.割断;断绝;切开;切下; functional:adj.功能的;
Stage One is literally the culture of gangs and it is the culture of prisons. 阶段一仅仅是字面意义上的一群人 并且还是犯罪的温床
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: gangs:n.帮派(gang的复数);v.成帮结伙;合伙行动(gang的三单形式);
Now, again, we don't often deal with Stage One. 重申一遍,我们并不常常同阶段一打交道
And I want to make the point that as members of society, we need to. 但我同时需要指出的是 作为社会的成员,我们有这个必要
It's not enough to simply write people off. 简简单单地将他们忽略是远远不够的
But let's move on to Stage Two. 现在让我们转移到阶段二
Now, Stage One, you'll notice, says, in effect, "Life Sucks ." 实际上你会注意到阶段一代表生活糟透了
Sucks:v.吮吸;吸;咂;啜;抽吸;抽取;(suck的第三人称单数)
So, this other book that Steve mentioned, that just came out, called "The Three Laws of Performance ," 这是史蒂夫提到的另一本书 这本书刚刚出版,书名是《执行的三条定律》
Performance:n.性能;表现;业绩;表演;
my colleague, Steve Zaffron and I, argue that as people see the world, so they behave . 我的同事,史蒂夫和我 探讨认为人们怎么看待世界,他们就怎么做
behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用;
Well, if people see the world in such a way that life sucks, then their behavior will follow automatically from that. 如果人们以生活糟透了的方式来看待世界的话 然后他们的行为就会自动地遵循这个
automatically:adv.自动地;机械地;无意识地;adj.不经思索的;
It will be despairing hostility . 那将会是绝望中的反抗
despairing:adj.感到绝望的;表现绝望的;无望的;v.绝望;失望(despair的ing形式); hostility:n.敌意;战争行动;
They'll do whatever it takes to survive, even if that means undermining other people. 为了生存他们会做任何事 哪怕这意味着要伤害其他人
undermining:v.逐渐削弱;使逐步减少效力;从根基处破坏;(undermine的现在分词)
Now, my birthday is coming up shortly, and my driver's license expires . 我的生日快到了 并且我的驾照已经期满了
expires:n.到期;有效期;v.期满;断气(expire的三单形式);
And the reason that that's relevant is that very soon 这一切相关的原因是很快
relevant:adj.相关的;切题的;中肯的;有重大关系的;有意义的,目的明确的;
I will be walking into what we call a Stage Two tribe. 我将会步入一个我们称之为 阶段二的部落
Which looks like this. 它看起来像这样
(Laughter) 现场笑声
Now, am I saying that in every Department of Motor Vehicles across the land, you find a Stage Two culture? 我有说过在每一个车辆管理局 在全国各地,你会发现一个阶段二的文化
Vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数)
No. But in the one near me, where I have to go in just a few days, what I will say when I'm standing in line is, "How can people be so dumb , and yet live?" 不,(我没这么说),但是在我附近的那一个 最近几天我不得不去的那一个 当我排队时我会说 “怎么会有人这么笨,但还活得好好的呢?”
dumb:adj.哑的,无说话能力的;不说话的,无声音的;
(Laughter) (现场笑声)
Now, am I saying that there are dumb people working here? 我有说是一帮蠢人在这工作吗?
Actually, no, I'm not. 实际上,我没有
But I'm saying the culture makes people dumb. 但是,我要说是文化让人变笨了
So in a Stage Two culture -- and we find these in all sorts of different places -- you find them, in fact, in the best organizations in the world. 所以在阶段二 我们可以从所有不同的地方发现这一点 实际,你可以从世界上最优秀的组织中发现这些
organizations:n.组织,构造,有机体(organization的复数);组织机构;
You find them in all places in society. 你可以从社会中的所有地方发现这些
I've come across them at the organizations that everybody raves about as being best in class. 我已经在一些组织中遇到这种情况 在组织中,所有人都叫嚷着要成为最棒的
come across:偶然遇见;给人以…的印象; raves:n.狂欢聚会; v.胡言乱语;
But here is the point. If you believe and you say to people in your tribe, in effect, "My life sucks. 但问题是,如果你相信这一点并向 你所在部落其他人说了,那事实上 我的生活糟透了
I mean if I got to go to TEDx USC my life wouldn't suck. But I don't. So it does." 我的意思是如果我去TED南加州大学演讲, 我的生活不会变糟。但我没去,所以它变糟了。
If that's how you talked, imagine what kind of work would get done. 如果那是你说话的方式,想象一下,你能够做成什么?
What kind of innovation would get done? 什么样的革新可以完成?
The amount of world-changing behavior that would happen? 一些改变世界的行为可能发生吗?
In fact it would be basically nil . 实际上这个数字将会是零
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; nil:n.无,零;
Now when we go on to Stage Three: this is the one that hits closest to home for many of us. 那么,我们转移到阶段三,这个阶段 与我们每个人的家庭联系最紧密
Because it is in Stage Three that many of us move. 因为在这个阶段,我们许多人前进
And we park. And we stay. 我们暂停,我们静止
Stage Three says, "I'm great. And you're not." 阶段三说:“我很伟大,但你没有”
(Laughter) (现场笑声)
I'm great and you're not. 我很伟大,但你没有
Now imagine having a whole room of people saying, in effect, "I'm great and you're not." 想象一下,一整个屋子的人 都在说,“我很伟大,但你没有”
Or, "I'm going to find some way to compete with you and come out on top as a result of that." 或者“我将找到一些与你竞争的方法 并且得到最好的结果”
compete:v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛(或竞赛); as a result:结果;
A whole group of people communicating that way, talking that way. 一整个团体的人都这样交流,这样谈话
I know this sounds like a joke. Three doctors walk into a bar. 我知道听起来想一个笑话。三个医生进了一家酒吧
But, in this case, three doctors walk into an elevator . 但是,在这个例子中,三个医生进了一个电梯
elevator:n.电梯;升降机;升降舵;起卸机;
I happened to be in the elevator collecting data for this book. 我刚好在那个电梯里,为本书收集数据
And one doctor said to the others, "Did you see my article in the 'New England Journal of Medicine'?" 一个医生说道:“你们看到了我的论文 发表在了新英格兰医学期刊上了”
Journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报;
And the other said, "No. That's great. Congratulations!" 其他人说:“不。那很棒。恭喜你”
The next one got kind of a wry smile on his face and said, "Well while you were, you know, doing your research," 下一个人面带扭曲的微笑说道, “你知道的,当你做你的研究时
wry:adj.歪斜的,扭歪的;歪曲的;vt.扭曲;扭歪;vi.扭曲;扭歪;
notice the condescending tone -- "While you were off doing your research, I was off doing more surgeries than anyone else in the department of surgery at this institution ." 注意那种居高临下的语气 当你做研究时,我做了更多的手术 比其他任何在这个部门的人还要多
condescending:adj.居高临下的; v.屈尊; (condescend的现在分词) tone:n.语气:风格:特色:声音信号:v.使更结实:与…协调: surgeries:n.外科手术(surgery复数); surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
And the third one got the same wry smile and said, "Well, while you were off doing your research, and you were off doing your monkey meatball surgery, that eventually we'll train monkeys to do, 第三个人面带同样扭曲的微笑说道 当你做你的研究时 而你做你的猴子肉丸手术时 最终我们将训练猴子做那个手术
meatball:n.肉丸子;笨蛋;乏味的人;"肉丸旗"(指日本国旗); eventually:adv.最后,终于;
or cells or robots, or maybe not even need to do it at all, 或者是细胞,或者是机器人,或者其他可能的需要
I was off running the future of the residency program which is really the future of medicine." 我一直在运作居民项目的未来 那才真正是医学的未来
residency:n.住处;住院医生实习期;
And they all kind of laughed and the patted him on the back. 另外两个人略带笑意并轻拍了他的后背
patted:轻拍;
And the elevator door opened. And they all walked out. 然后电梯门开了,他们都走了出去
That is a meeting of a Stage Three tribe. 这就是一个阶段三下的会谈
Now we find these in places where really smart successful people show up. 我们发现这些 会在一些真正聪明和成功的人中发生
Like, oh I don't know, TEDx USC. 比如,我不是很明确,TED南加州大学演讲
(Laughter) (现场笑声)
Here is the greatest challenge we face in innovation. 这里我们将遇到革新中的最大的挑战
It is moving from Stage Three to Stage Four. 这就是从阶段三 过渡到阶段四
Let's take a look at a quick video snippet . 让我们来看一小段视频
take a look at:看一看;检查; snippet:n.小片;片断;不知天高地厚的年轻人;
This is from a company called Zappos, located outside Las Vegas. 这是一家叫Zappos,坐落在拉斯维加斯城外的公司
located:adj.位于; v.确定…的准确地点; (locate的过去分词和过去式)
And my question on the other side is just going to be, "What do you think they value?" 我的问题将会是 “你认为他们珍惜的价值是什么”
on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
It was not Christmas time. There was a Christmas tree. 这不是在圣诞期间,那有一棵圣诞树
This is their lobby . 这是他们的工作间
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
Employees volunteer time in the advice booth. 雇员志愿在他们的工作台上花费时间
volunteer:n.志愿者;志愿兵;adj.志愿的;v.自愿;
Notice it looks like something out of a Peanuts cartoon. 注意,这像是从花生卡通中出来的某物
Peanuts:花生(peanut的复数)
Okay, we're going through the hallway here at Zappos. 好的,现在我们将穿过Zappos的门厅
This is a call center. Notice how it's decorated . 这是一个呼叫中心,注意一下它是怎么装修的
decorated:v.装饰;装潢;粉刷;点缀;装点;(decorate的过去分词和过去式)
Notice people are applauding for us. 看,人们在向我们鼓掌
applauding:v.鼓掌;称赞;赞许;赞赏(applaud的现在分词)
They don't know who we are and they don't care. And if they did they probably wouldn't applaud. 他们不知道我们是谁,他们也不在乎。如果他们是的话 他们很可能就不鼓掌了
But you'll notice the level of excitement . 但是你将注意到兴奋的程度
excitement:n.兴奋;刺激;令人兴奋的事物;
Notice, again, how they decorate their office. 再看一次,他们怎么装修他们的办公室的
Now, what's important to people at Zappos, these may not be the things that are important to you. 那么,对Zappos的员工来说什么是重要的 那也许并不是对你来说很重要的事
But they value things like fun. And they value creativity. 他们珍重像乐趣之类的事。他们珍重创造力。
One of their stated values is, "Be a little bit weird ." 他们宣告的一条价值观就是:变得一点点古怪。
weird:adj.奇怪的;奇异的;离奇的;n.命运;宿命;命运女神;
And you'll notice they are a little bit weird. 你会发现他们确实有点古怪
So when individuals come together and find something that unites them that's greater than their individual competence , then something very important happens. 所以当个体聚集 并且发现一些团结起他们的事 这比他们间的竞争更伟大 然后一些很重要的事发生了
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); unites:联合;合并; competence:n.能力,胜任;权限;作证能力;足以过舒适生活的收入;
The group gels . And it changes from a group of highly motivated but fairly individually centric people, into something larger, into a tribe that becomes aware of its own existence. 这个团体凝聚成一体,而且它从 一个团体高动力 但是平均个人自我为中心 变得更大 变成一个开始关注自我存在的部落
gels:n.凝胶剂;定型发胶(gel的复数);v.形成胶体(gel的第三人称单数); highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机; fairly:adv.相当地;公平地;简直; individually:adv.个别地,单独地; centric:adj.中央的,中心的;
Stage Four tribes can do remarkable things. 阶段四的部落能过做出非凡的事情
remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的;
But you'll notice we're not at the top of the mountain yet. 但你也注意到了我们还没有到达顶峰
There is, in fact, another stage. 事实上,那还有一个阶段
Now, some of you may not recognize the scene that's up here. 现在,你们当中一些人可能还没有认识到上面的那一阶段
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
And if you take a look at the headline of Stage Five, which is "Life is Great," 如果你看一下阶段五的标题,生活很伟大
this may seem a little incongruous . 这看上去有一点不协调
incongruous:adj.不协调的;不一致的;不和谐的;
This is a scene or snippet from the Truth and Reconciliation process in South Africa for which Desmond Tutu won the Nobel Prize . 这是一个场景或片断 摘自于 在南非的真相与和解的进程 因为这个德斯蒙德 图图获得了诺贝尔奖
Reconciliation:n.和解;调和;和谐;甘愿; process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; Tutu:n.(法)芭蕾舞短裙;新西兰马桑; Nobel Prize:n.诺贝尔奖;
Now think about that. South Africa, terrible atrocities had happened in the society. 现在想一想,在南非 社会中,过去曾经发生过可怕的暴行
atrocities:n.暴行(atrocity的复数);残忍;
And people came together focused only on those two values: truth and reconciliation. 人们走到一起 仅仅关注两条价值:真相与和解
There was no road map. No one had ever done anything like this before. 那里没有道路的地图。以前没有人曾经做过 任何像这样的事
And in this atmosphere , where the only guidance was people's values, and their noble cause, what this group accomplished was historic . 在这种氛围中,唯一的指导 就是人们的价值,他们的崇高事业 这个团体完成的是历史性的
atmosphere:n.大气;气氛;气压;风格; noble:adj.高尚的;贵族的;惰性的;宏伟的;n.贵族; accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式) historic:adj.有历史意义的;历史上著名的;
And people, at the time, feared that South Africa would end up going the way that Rwanda has gone. 在那时,人们担心南非 会在卢旺达曾经走过的那条路上走向灭亡
Descending into one skirmish after another in a civil war that seems to have no end. 不断分解的小冲突 在内战中似乎没有尽头
skirmish:n.小冲突,小规模战斗;小争论;vi.进行小规模战斗;发生小争论; civil:adj.公民的;民间的;文职的;有礼貌的;根据民法的;
In fact, South Africa has not gone down that road. 事实上,南非并没有走这条道路
Largely because people like Desmond Tutu set up a Stage Five process to involve the thousands and perhaps millions of tribes in the country, to bring everyone together. 很大程度上是由于像德斯蒙德 图图这样的人 建立起一个阶段五程序 涉及到上千个也可能是上百万个 这个国家中的部落,来让每个人到一起
Largely:adv.主要地;大部分;大量地; involve:v.包含;需要;牵涉;牵连;影响;(使)参加;
So, people hear this and they conclude the following, as did we, in doing the study. 所以人们听到这些并且他们得到以下结论 就像我们在这个研究中所作的
conclude:v.断定:得出结论:终止:达成:缔结(协定)
Okay, got it. I don't want to talk Stage One. 好的,明白。我不想再谈阶段一
That's like, you know, "Life sucks." Who wants to talk that way? 那就像,生活糟透了。谁愿意那么说
I don't want to talk like they do at the particular DMV that's close to where Dave lives. 我和他们一样不愿谈 特别是在机动车管理局,那里离戴夫住的地方很近
I really don't want to just say "I'm great." 我确实不愿意仅仅就说我很伟大
Because that kind of sounds narcissistic . And then I won't have any friends. 因为这听上去有点自恋,然后我将不会交到任何朋友
narcissistic:adj.自恋的;自我陶醉的;
Saying, "We're great" -- that sounds pretty good. 说,我们很伟大,这听上去好多了
But I should really talk Stage Five right? "Life is great." 但我将好好谈论阶段五,生活很伟大
Well, in fact, there are three somewhat counter-intuitive findings that come out of all this. 事实上,这里有三条有悖直觉的发现 从所有这些研究结果中产生
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; counter-intuitive:adj.反直觉的;违反语感的; findings:n.调查发现;判决;裁决;(finding的复数)
The first one, if you look at the Declaration of Independence , and actually read it, the phrase that sticks in many of our minds is things about inalienable rights. 第一条,如果你打开独立宣言 并真正读一读 在我们脑中不可磨灭的语句是 关于不可剥夺的权利的一些事
Declaration of Independence:n.[美史]独立宣言: inalienable:adj.不可分割的;不可剥夺的;不能让与的;
I mean that's Stage Five right? Life is great, oriented only by our values, no other guidance. 我意思,那是阶段五,对吗?生活很伟大 仅仅由我们的价值观引导 而没有其他的导向
oriented:adj.导向的; v.调整;
In fact, most of the document is written at Stage Two. 事实上,宣言大部分还停留在阶段二
'"My life sucks because I live under a tyrant , also known as King George. 我的生活糟透了,因为我生活在专制之下 也被称为国王乔治。
tyrant:n.暴君;
We're great! Who is not great? England!" 我们很伟大!谁又不伟大了?英格兰
Sorry. (Laughter) 对不起。(现场笑声)
Well what about other great leaders? What about Gandhi ? 那么,如果是其他伟大的领袖呢?甘地怎么样呢?
Gandhi:n.甘地(印度政府,社会和宗教领袖);
What about Martin Luther King? 马丁 路德 金 又怎么样呢?
I mean surely these were just people who preached , "Life is great." right? 我意思是,显然他们都是宣扬生活很伟大的人,是吧?
preached:v.讲道;宣传,宣讲;说教;(preach的过去分词和过去式)
Just one little bit of happiness and joy after another. 生命中总是充满了不断的幸福和快乐
In fact, Martin Luther King's most famous line was at Stage Three. 事实上,马丁 路德 金的大多数宣言是处在阶段三的
He didn't say "We have a dream." He said, "I have a dream." 他没有说,我们有一个梦想。他说,我有一个梦想
Why did he do that? Because most people are not at Stage Five. 他为什么那么说?因为大多数人 并没有到达阶段五
Two percent are at Stage One. 2%的人处在阶段一
About 25 percent are at Stage Two, saying, in effect, "My life sucks." 大约25%的人在阶段二 说着,“我的生活糟透了”
48 percent of working tribes say, these are employed tribes, say, "I'm great and you're not." 48%的工薪阶层,那些受雇的部落 说道,“我很伟大,但你没有”
employed:v.雇用:应用:运用:使用(employ的过去分词和过去式)
And we have to duke it out every day. So we resort to politics . 我们不得不每天,所以我们诉诸于政治
duke it out:打架;一决雌雄;用拳头猛击; resort:n.度假胜地;诉诸;采取;旅游胜地;v.去;凭藉; politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数)
Only about 22 percent of tribes are at Stage Four, oriented by our values, saying "We're great. 只有22%的部落 是处在阶段四 在我们价值观的引导下,说,“我们很伟大
And our values are beginning to unite us." 我们的价值观开始将我们联合到一起
Only two percent, only two percent of tribes get to Stage Five. 仅仅只有2%,仅仅只有2%的部落 到达了阶段五
And those are the ones that change the world. 那些才是改变世界的
So the first little finding from this is that leaders need to be able to talk all the levels so that you can touch every person in society. 所以从中我们有一个小发现 那就是领导者要能够与所有层次的人交流 那样他才可以解触到社会中的所有人
But you don't leave them where you found them. Okay? 但别离开他们所在的阶段,好吗?
Tribes can only hear one level above and below where they are. 部落仅仅可以听到与之相邻的上下两个阶段的
So we have to have the ability to talk all the levels, to go to where they are. 所以我们得拥有与所有层次交谈的能力 有到达他们所在的能力
And then leaders nudge people within their tribes to the next level. 然后领导者推动部落中的 人们到达下一个阶段
I'd like to show you some examples of this. 我将给你们展示几个例子
One of the people we interviewed was Frank Jordan, former Mayor of San Francisco. Before that he was Chief of Police in San Francisco. 弗兰克 乔丹是我们的一个访谈对象 他是旧金山前任市长,在此之前 他是旧金山警察局局长
interviewed:v.对(某人)进行面试(或面谈); (媒体)采访(interview的过去分词和过去式) Frank:adj.坦白的,直率的;老实的;n.免费邮寄特权;v.免费邮寄; Mayor:n.市长;镇长;
And he grew up essentially in Stage One. 基本上,他在阶段一中长大
essentially:adv.本质上;本来;
And you know what changed his life? It was walking into one of these, a Boys and Girls Club. 你们认为是什么改变了他的生活?那是步入 一个男孩女孩俱乐部
Now here is what happened to this person who eventually became Mayor of San Francisco. 这就是发生在他身上的事 最终让他成为了旧金山市长
He went from being alive and passionate at Stage One -- remember, "Life sucks, despairing hostility, I will do whatever it takes to survive" -- to walking into a Boys and Girls Club, folding his arms, sitting down in a chair, and saying, "Wow. My life really sucks. 他从有活力有激情地活在 阶段一,记着,“生活糟透了 令人绝望的敌意,我将会为了生存做任何事” 发展到,进入一个男孩女孩俱乐部 坐在一张椅子上,袖手旁观 说道,“哇哦,我的生活确实糟透了,
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
I don't know anybody. 我不认识任何人
I mean, if I was into boxing, like they were, then my life wouldn't suck. But I don't. So it does. 我意思是,如果我去拳击,像他们一样 我的生活就不会糟糕。但我没有,所以它很糟
So I'm going to sit here in my chair and not do anything." 所以我要坐在这并且什么也不做
In fact, that's progress. 事实上,这就是进步
We move people from Stage One to Stage Two by getting them in a new tribe. 我们推动人们从阶段一进入阶段二 就是将他们引入一个新的部落
And then, over time, getting them connected. 并在一段时间内保持联系
So, what about moving from Stage Three to Stage Four? 那么,从阶段三到阶段四 又是怎么样呢?
I want to argue that we're doing that right here. 我想申明,这就是我们此刻在做的
T-E-D represents a set of values. TED代表了一系列的价值观
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
And as we unite around these values, something really interesting begins to emerge . 当我们聚集在这些价值下时 一些真正有趣的事开始显现
emerge:v.浮现;显现;暴露;露出真相;
If you want this experience to live on as something historic, then at the reception tonight I'd like to encourage you to do something beyond what people normally do, and call networking. 如果你想拥有这样的经历,活着 能有某种历史意义 所以在今晚的聚会,我要鼓励你们做一些事 有悖人们通常所做的事 呼叫网络
normally:adv.正常地;通常地,一般地;
Which is not just to meet new people and extend your reach, extend your influence . 这不再仅是简单的见一些新的面孔 扩大你的交际圈和影响力
extend:vt.延伸; vi.延伸; influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
But instead find someone you don't know, and find someone else you don't know, and introduce them. 取而代之的是发现一些你不认识的人 再发现一些你不认识的人 然后将他们相互引见
That's called a triadic relationship. 这就是所谓的三元关系
See, people who build world-changing tribes do that. 建立改变世界的部落的人做的就是这些
They extend the reach of their tribes by connecting them, not just to myself, so that my following is greater. 他们向外延伸他们的部落 联系他们,而不仅是对我自己 因此我的跟随者就更多
But I connect people who don't know each other to something greater than themselves. 我将互不认识的人联系到 一些比他们自己更伟大的事上来
And ultimately that adds to their values. 并最终这些添加到他们的价值观中去了
ultimately:adv.最终;最后;归根结底;终究;
But we're not done yet. Because then how do we go from Stage Four, which is great, to Stage Five? 但我们还没有完成,因为我们该怎么从阶段四 到更伟大的阶段,阶段五呢?
The story that I like to end with is this. It comes out of a place called the Gallup Organization. 下面我将以一个故事结尾。它发生在 一个叫盖洛普组织的中
Gallup:vi.进行民意测验;vt.对…进行民意测验;
You know they do polls right? 你知道的,他们是做调查的,对吗?
So it's Stage Four. We're great. Who is not great? 它属于阶段四的。我们很伟大,谁不伟大呢?
Pretty much everybody else who does polls. 也有其他许多人在做调查
If Gallup releases a poll on the same day that NBC releases a poll people will pay attention to the Gallup poll . Okay, we understand that. 如果盖洛普和NBC同一天发布了一个调查 人们会关注盖洛普的调查。好的,我们都明白的
releases:n.释放; vt.释放; pay attention to:注意 Gallup poll:n.盖洛普民意测验;
So, they were bored . 尽管他们厌烦了
bored:adj.无聊的;厌倦的;烦闷的;v.使厌烦;钻,凿,挖;(bore的过去分词和过去式)
They wanted to change the world. So here is the question someone asked. 他们想要改变世界。这是某个人剔除的问题
'"How could we, instead of just polling what Asia thinks or what the United States thinks, or who thinks what about Obama versus McCain, or something like that, [ask], 我们怎么能够 取代仅仅调查亚洲的想法 美国的想法 人们对奥巴马和 麦克 凯恩怎么看,或是类似的事
polling:n.投票;民意测验;v.获得(票数);对…进行民意调查;(poll的现在分词) versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗;
What does the entire world think?" 变成整个世界的看法
And they found a way to do the first-ever world poll. 他们发现一个途径去开展第一个全球调查
first-ever:adj.第一例;前所未有;
They had people involved who were Nobel laureates in economics, who reported being bored. 他们的调查涉及,诺贝尔 经济学奖得主,对调查厌烦的普通人
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) laureates:adj.戴桂冠的;荣誉的;n.桂冠诗人;得奖者;vt.使戴桂冠;
And suddenly they pulled out sheets of paper and were trying to figure out, "How do we survey the population of Sub-Saharan Africa? 突然他们抽出一叠问卷 试图弄明白,“我们怎么调查 撒哈拉以南非洲的人口”
sheets:n.床单;被单;薄片,薄板;(sheet的复数) Sub-Saharan:撒哈拉以南地区;
How do we survey populations that don't have access to technology , and speak languages we don't speak, and we don't know anyone who speaks those languages. Because in order to achieve on this great mission , we have to be able to do it. 我们怎么调查技术无法到达的人口 与我们说不通语言的人口 并且我们不认识任何一个说这种语言的人。 但为了 完成这个伟大的使命 我们必须能够掌握它
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; mission:n.使命,任务;代表团;布道;v.派遣;向…传教;
Incidentally , they did pull it off. 顺便说一句,他们没有半途而废。
Incidentally:adv.顺便;偶然地;附带地;
And they released the first-ever world poll. 他们发起了第一个全球调查
released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式)
So I'd like to leave you with these thoughts. 我很乐意给你们留下这些想法
First of all : we all form tribes, all of us. 第一,我们所有人组成部落,所有人
First of all:adv.首先;
You're in tribes here. Hopefully you're extending the reach of the tribes that you have. 在这里,你属于一个部落。希望你正在扩大你的所接触 已有的部落
extending:v.使伸长;扩大;扩展;延长;(extend的现在分词)
But the question on the table is this. 问题是,
What kind of an impact are the tribes that you are in making? 你所在的部落在作出 什么影响呢?
impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
You're hearing one presentation after another, often representing a group of people, a tribe, about how they have changed the world. 你听到一个接一个的问题 通常代表着一群人,一个部落 关于他们怎么改变世界
presentation:n.展示;描述,陈述;介绍;赠送; representing:v.代表;维护…的利益;等于;相当于;(represent的现在分词)
If you do what we've talked about, you listen for how people actually communicate in the tribes that you're in. 如果你做我们刚才谈论的,你听取了 人们怎么在你所在的部落中交流
listen for:倾听;
And you don't leave them where they are. You nudge them forward. 你不脱离他们。你推动他们向前
You remember to talk all five culture stages. 你记得与所有五个文化阶段对话
Because we've got people in all five, around us. 因为我们的周围充斥着所有这五个阶段的人
And the question that I'd like to leave you with is this: 我将留给你们的问题是
Will your tribes change the world? 你的部落将会改变世界吗?
Thank you very much. 非常感谢
(Applause) (现场掌声)