|
|
DavidHoffman_2008-_失去一切_
|
I had a fire nine days ago. |
九天前家里着火了。 |
My archive : 175 films, my 16-millimeter negative , all my books, my Dad's books, |
我的存档: 175部电影,我的16毫米胶片, 我所有的书,我父亲的书, |
archive:n.档案馆;档案文件; negative:adj.[数]负的;消极的;否定的;阴性的;n.否定;负数;[摄]底片;v.否定;拒绝;
|
I'd collected -- |
我这些年来收集的--- |
I was a collector, major, big-time -- it's gone. |
我是个收集者,资深的,一流的--- 全都完了。 |
big-time:adj.一流的;快乐时光;
|
I just looked at it, and I didn't know what to do. |
我看着这一切, 不知所措。 |
I mean, this was -- was I my things? |
我的意思是,这是---- 我就是我的所有吗? |
I always live in the present -- I love the present. |
我总是生活在现在----我爱现在。 |
I cherish the future. |
珍视未来 |
cherish:v.珍爱;怀有(感情等);抱有(希望等);
|
And I was taught some strange thing as a kid, like, you've got to make something good out of something bad. |
小时候我也学到些奇怪的东西, 比如,塞翁失马焉知非福。 |
You've got to make something good out of something bad. |
你得从坏事情中找到好的一面。 |
This was bad! Man, I was -- |
我已经够糟了, |
I cough. I was sick. |
我咳嗽,我病了。 |
That's my camera lens . The first one -- the one I shot my Bob Dylan film with 35 years ago. |
这是我的照相机镜头,我的第一个镜头 35年前我用它拍了鲍勃·迪伦的纪录片。 |
lens:n.透镜,镜头;晶状体;隐形眼镜;汽车的灯玻璃;v.给…摄影;
|
That's my feature film . "King, Murray" |
这是我的专题片,“国王,穆雷” |
feature film:n.故事片;
|
won Cannes Film Festival 1970 -- the only print I had. |
在1970戛纳电影节上获奖---- 我拥有的唯一的拷贝。 |
Cannes:n.戛纳(法国港市);
|
That's my papers. |
这是我的论文。 |
That was in minutes -- 20 minutes. |
就在二十分钟时间里。 |
Epiphany hit me. Something hit me. |
我突然明白了,我突然想到了: |
Epiphany:对事物真谛的顿悟;
|
'"You've got to make something good out of something bad," |
“你得将坏事变好事” |
I started to say to my friends, neighbors, my sister. |
我开始告诉我的朋友,我的邻居,我的妹妹。 |
By the way , that's " Sputnik ," I ran it last year. |
啊,顺便说一句,这是“人造卫星”,我去年拍的。 |
By the way:顺便说一下; Sputnik:n.人造卫星(前苏联制造);
|
'"Sputnik" was downtown , the negative. It wasn't touched. |
“人造卫星”的胶片在市区,没有受到伤害。 |
downtown:n.市区;闹市区;adv.在市区;在热闹街上;到闹市区;adj.闹市区的;
|
These are some pieces of things I used in my Sputnik feature film, which opens in New York in two weeks downtown. |
这些是我在拍“人造卫星”时用到的一些材料。 两个星期后在纽约上演 纽约市区 |
I called my sister. I called my neighbors. I said, "Come dig." |
我打电话给我妹妹,我的邻居。我说:“来挖吧。” |
That's me at my desk. |
这是我在我的桌子边 |
That was a desk took 40-some years to build. |
这张桌子有我四十多年的心血。 |
You know -- all the stuff . |
你知道,所有的东西。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
That's my daughter, Jean. |
这是我的女儿,琼。 |
She came. She's a nurse in San Francisco. |
她来了。她在三藩市是一名护士。 |
'"Dig it up," I said. "Pieces. |
“挖出来,”我说,“一点一滴的也要挖出来。” |
I want pieces. Bits and pieces ." |
我要这些东西。哪怕是零碎的。 |
Bits and pieces:零星小玩意;零碎;零碎东西;星星点点;
|
I came up with this idea: a life of bits and pieces, which I'm just starting to work on -- my next project. |
我想到了这个:零零碎碎组成的生活。 这正是我将要开始努力的----我的下一个项目 |
That's my sister. She took care of pictures, because I was a big collector of snapshot photography that I believed said a lot. |
这是我妹妹。她收拾照片 我非常热衷于收集摄影作品 我认为它们可以表现很多内涵 |
snapshot:n.快照,快相;急射,速射;简单印象;vt.给…拍快照;vi.拍快照; photography:n.摄影;摄影术;
|
And those are some of the pictures that -- something was good about the burnt pictures. |
这些是照片的一部分 这些被烧毁的照片也挺好 |
I didn't know. I looked at that -- |
我不知道。我看着这些--- |
I said, "Wow, is that better than the --" |
我说:“哇, 这是不是比原来的更好啊。。。” |
That's my proposal on Jimmy Doolittle. I made that movie for television. |
这是我拍“吉米·杜立德”的方案,是我为电视拍的电影 |
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
|
It's the only copy I had -- pieces of it. |
这是我唯一的备份,它的一些碎片 |
Idea about women. |
关于女人的一些想法 |
So I started to say, "Hey man, you are too much! |
所以我开始说:“老兄, 你太过分了! |
You could cry about this." I really didn't. |
你还是哭出来吧。” 我真的没有 |
I just instead said, "I'm going to make something out of it, and maybe next year ... " |
我只是说: “我的得拿这些做点什么, 也许明年。。。” |
And I appreciate this moment to come up on this stage with so many people who've already given me so much solace , and just say to TEDsters: |
我很感谢此时此刻 我可以在台上与你们那么多人在一起 你们给了我很多安慰 我只想对TED的与会者说: |
appreciate:v.欣赏;感激;感谢;理解; solace:n.安慰;慰藉;安慰之物;vt.安慰;抚慰;使快乐;
|
I'm proud of me. That I take something bad, |
我为自己而感到骄傲,我拿着一些被毁了的东西 |
I turn it, and I'm going to make something good out of this, all these pieces. |
我要改变它,我将用所有这些支离破碎的东西 做出好东西来 |
That's Arthur Leipzig's original photograph I loved. |
这是我钟爱的Arthur Leipzig的照片原件 |
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的;
|
I was a big record collector -- the records didn't make it. Boy, I tell you, film burns, film burns. |
我是唱片的大收藏家 唱片都没有能够保存下来,哎, 我告诉你 胶片易燃,胶片易燃啊 |
I mean, this was 16-millimeter safety film. |
我是说, 这是16毫米的安全胶片 |
The negatives are gone. |
底片都毁了 |
negatives:n.[摄]底片; v.否定;
|
That's my father's letter to me telling me to marry the woman I first married when I was 20. |
这是我父亲写的信, 信里要我和 那位我20岁第一次结婚时就娶回家的女人结婚 |
That's my daughter and me. |
这是我的女儿和我 |
She's still there. She's there this morning, actually. |
她还在那里,事实上今天早上还在。 |
That's my house. |
这是我的房子 |
My family's living in the Hilton Hotel in Scotts Valley. |
我的家人现在住在Scotts山谷的希尔顿酒店 |
That's my wife, Heidi , who didn't take it as well as I did. |
这是我的妻子,海蒂 她还不能跟我一样接受这个事实 |
Heidi:n.海蒂(Adalheid的昵称); as well as:也;和…一样;不但…而且;
|
My children, Davey and Henry. |
这是我们的孩子Davey和Henry |
My son, Davey, in the hotel two nights ago. |
我的儿子,Davey, 两个晚上前在酒店 |
So my message to you folks, from my three minutes, is that I appreciate the chance to share this with you. I will be back. I love being at TED. |
所以在我的三分钟讲话中, 我想告诉你们的是, 我感谢你们给予我这个机会 与你们分享,我会回来的, 我热爱TED |
I came to live it, and I am living it. |
我来就是为了活在其中, 我现在正活在其中 |
That's my view from my window outside of Santa Cruz, in Bonny Doon, just 35 miles from here. |
这是我在聖克魯斯,邦尼杜恩家窗口外面的风景 离这儿只有35英里 |
Bonny:adj.漂亮的;健美的;
|
Thank you everybody. |
谢谢大家。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |