返回首页

DavidGrady_2013S-_如何将世界(或至少你自己)从令人厌倦的会议中拯救出来_

Picture this: 想像一下
It's Monday morning, you're at the office, you're settling in for the day at work, and this guy that you sort of recognize from down the hall, walks right into your cubicle and he steals your chair. 星期一早上 你走进办公室 准备开始一天的工作, 突然间有个同事,一个你好像认得,可能在隔壁组工作的同事 走进你的办公室 把你的椅子拿走
settling:n.安置;固定;沉淀物;移居;v.解决;安居;(settle的现在分词) recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到; cubicle:n.小卧室;小隔间;
Doesn't say a word — just rolls away with it. 甚么都没说 拿了椅子,就走了,
Doesn't give you any information about why he took your chair out of all the other chairs that are out there. 完全没解释为甚么他把你的椅子拿走, 全公司那么多椅子却偏要拿你的,
Doesn't acknowledge the fact that you might need your chair to get some work done today. 也无视你很也许需要用这张椅子 来完成你今天需要的工作。
You wouldn't stand for it. You'd make a stink . 你绝对不会接受所以你马上行动,
stink:n.恶臭;吵闹;争吵;v.有臭味;令人厌恶;
You'd follow that guy back to his cubicle and you'd say, "Why my chair?" 你追着这个同事回到他的办公桌, 质问他: 为甚么偏要拿我的椅子?
Okay, so now it's Tuesday morning and you're at the office, and a meeting invitation pops up in your calendar . 现在,时间快转到星期二早上,你人已经到了公司, 行事历传来一个会议的邀请。
invitation:n.邀请,引诱 calendar:n.日历;挂历;v.把…记入日程表中;
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it's from this woman who you kind of know from down the hall, and the subject line references some project that you heard a little bit about. 是一个你可能认识的女同事寄来的, 会议的标题隐约的提到你稍微听过的一个案子,
references:n.提到; v.查阅; (reference的第三人称单数和复数)
But there's no agenda . 但这个会议没有议程,
agenda:n.议事日程;
There's no information about why you were invited to the meeting. 没有任何有关于为什么你会被邀请的资讯,
And yet you accept the meeting invitation, and you go. 但你还是接受邀请,并出席。
And when this highly unproductive session is over, you go back to your desk, and you stand at your desk and you say, "Boy, I wish I had those two hours back, like I wish I had my chair back." 当这场没有效率的会议结束之后 你回你的座位 并站在你座位旁 说道 我真希望我能要回那两小时 就像我想要回我的椅子一样 。
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; unproductive:adj.非生产性的;徒劳的;不毛的;不生产的; session:n.会议;(法庭的)开庭;(议会等的)开会;学期;讲习会;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Every day, we allow our coworkers , who are otherwise very, very nice people, to steal from us. 每天,我们同意让我们的同事 去偷走我们的东西, 尽管他们是非常好的人。
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式)
And I'm talking about something far more valuable than office furniture . 我在讲的比办公用品还宝贵,
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品; furniture:n.家具;设备;储藏物;
I'm talking about time. Your time. 我们讲的是你的时间
In fact, I believe that we are in the middle of a global epidemic of a terrible new illness known as MAS: 事实上,我认为 我们正处于全球的疫情当中, 一个疫情名为MAS:
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
Mindless Accept Syndrome . 盲目接受症候群。
Mindless:adj.愚蠢的;不小心的;不需要动脑筋的;不顾虑的; Syndrome:n.[临床]综合征;综合症状;并发症状;校验子;并发位;
(Laughter) (笑声)
The primary symptom of Mindless Accept Syndrome is just accepting a meeting invitation the minute it pops up in your calendar. 盲目接受症候群的主要症状为 马上无条件的接受任何的会议邀请。
symptom:n.症状;征候;征兆;
(Laughter) (笑声)
It's an involuntary reflex ding , click, bing — it's in your calendar, "Gotta go, I'm already late for a meeting." (Laughter) 他是一个反射动作,只要叮— 点击,乒— 就出现在你的月历上, 该走了,我的会议已经迟到了 。(笑声)
involuntary:adj.无意识的;自然而然的;不知不觉的; reflex:n.反射;反映;映像;回复;习惯性思维;adj.反射的;反省的;反作用的;优角的; ding:vi.响;执拗地讲;vt.反复地说给人家听;n.钟声;
Meetings are important, right? 会议非常重要,对吧?
And collaboration is key to the success of any enterprise. 合作通常是企業成功的关键。
collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌;
And a well-run meeting can yield really positive , actionable results. 一个好的会议能够带来正面且效率的回应
yield:n.产量;产出;利润;v.屈服;让步;放弃;提供; positive:adj.积极的;[数]正的,[医][化学]阳性的;确定的;n.正数;[摄]正片; actionable:adj.可控告的;可提起诉讼的;
But between globalization and pervasive information technology , the way that we work has really changed dramatically over the last few years. 但是全球化 以及大型资讯技术之间, 我们的工作方式 在过去的几年内产生巨大的变化,
globalization:n.全球化; pervasive:adj.普遍的;到处渗透的;流行的; information technology:n.信息技术; dramatically:adv.戏剧地;引人注目地;adv.显著地,剧烈地;
And we're miserable . (Laughter) 然后我们变得很痛苦。 (笑声)
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的;
And we're miserable not because the other guy can't run a good meeting, it's because of MAS, our Mindless Accept Syndrome, which is a self-inflicted wound . 我们很痛苦不是因为别人不能开一个好会议, 是因为MAS,我们的盲目接受症候群, 这个病是我们自找的。
self-inflicted:adj.自己造成的;加于自身的; wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
Actually, I have evidence to prove that MAS is a global epidemic. 事实上,我能够证明MAS是一个全球性的疫情,
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明;
Let me tell you why. 让我解释。
A couple of years ago, I put a video on Youtube, and in the video, 几年前我在YouTube上传了一部影片,
I acted out every terrible conference call you've ever been on. 我把会议上曾经历最糟糕的情况都展现出来,
conference call:n.电话会议;
It goes on for about five minutes, and it has all the things that we hate about really bad meetings. 片长大约五分钟 包括了一切有关令我们厌烦的会议,
There's the moderator who has no idea how to run the meeting. 有主持者完全不知道怎么运作会议,
moderator:n.[核]慢化剂;仲裁人;调解人;缓和剂;
There are the participants who have no idea why they're there. 参会者完全不知道为什么参加会议,
participants:n.参与者(participant的复数形式);
The whole thing kind of collapses into this collaborative train wreck . 整件事演变成一连串的闹剧,
collapses:v.(突然)倒塌,坍塌;昏倒;坐下;(collapse的第三人称单数) collaborative:adj.合作的,协作的; wreck:n.严重损毁人或物;沉船;v.破坏;损坏;毁掉;使遇难;
And everybody leaves very angry. 最后大家都愤怒的离去。
It's kind of funny. 其实有点好笑。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Let's take a quick look. 让我们简单看一下
(Video) Our goal today is to come to an agreement on a very important proposal . (影片) 我们今天的目标是为一个非常重要的计画达成一个共识,
proposal:n.提议,建议;求婚;
As a group, we need to decide if — 作为一个团队,我们需要决定如果——
Hi, who just joined? 嗨,谁刚刚加入?
Hi, it's Joe. I'm working from home today. 嗨,我是乔,我今天在家办公。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Hi, Joe. Thanks for joining us today, great. 嗨,乔,谢谢你的加入,很好。
I was just saying, we have a lot of people on the call we'd like to get through, so let's skip the roll call and I'm gonna dive right in. 我刚刚提到说,我们这次会议有很多人参加, 所以我们直接跳过点名, 我就直接开始了。
dive:n.潜水;跳水;俯冲;猛冲;v.猛冲;(头朝下)跳入水中;[体]跳水(运动);
Our goal today is to come to an agreement on a very important proposal. 我们今天的目标是为一个非常重要的计画达成一个共识,
As a group, we need to decide if — 作为一个团队,我们需要决定如果——
(Laughter) (笑声)
Hi, who just joined? 嗨,谁刚刚加入?
No? I thought I heard a beep. (Laughter) 没人? 我以为我听到哔声 (笑声)
Sound familiar ? 听起来熟悉吗?
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
Yeah, it sounds familiar to me, too. 对,这对我来说也很熟悉。
A couple of weeks after I put that online, 500,000 people in dozens of countries, 在我上传影片的几周后, 来自数十国家的50万人
I mean dozens of countries, watched this video. 我讲的是数十个国家 观看这部影片。
And three years later, it's still getting thousands of views every month. 之后的三年,每个月仍然有几千次的观看次数,
It's close to about a million right now. 到现在大概有一百万次了。
And in fact, some of the biggest companies in the world, companies that you've heard of but I won't name, have asked for my permission to use this video in their new-hire training to teach their new employees how not to run a meeting at their company. 事实上,有些国际大公司, 你肯定知道这些公司,但我不会公布名字, 他们征求我的允许把影片使用在他们的员工培训上面, 来教导新员工如何不在公司里开这样的会议,
And if the numbers — there are a million views and it's being used by all these companies — aren't enough proof that we have a global problem with meetings, there are the many, many thousands of comments posted online after the video went up. 如果 几百万次的观看纪录和被大公司使用的事实 不足以证明会议已经是全球性议题, 在影片上传之后 有成千上万的评论 发布在网路上,
proof:n.证据;证实;adj.能抵御;可防护;
Thousands of people wrote things like, "OMG, that was my day today!" 数千人写下这样的话 我的天,这就是我的天
'"That was my day every day!" 这是我的每一天
'"This is my life." 这是我的生活
One guy wrote, "It's funny because it's true. 有一个人写道 这很有趣因为这是事实。
Eerily , sadly, depressingly true. 怪异,可悲,令人沮丧的事实,
Eerily:adj.怪诞的;奇异的;可怕的; depressingly:adv.郁闷地;抑压地;
It made me laugh until I cried. 它让我笑到哭出来,
And cried. And I cried some more." 然后我一直哭,一直哭 。
(Laughter) (笑声)
This poor guy said, "My daily life until retirement or death, sigh." 这个可怜人写道 这是我直到退休或死亡的每一天,叹气 。
retirement:n.退休;退职;退休年龄;退休生活;
These are real quotes and it's real sad. 这些都是真实的评论 而且真的令人沮丧。
quotes:n.引用,引号;报价(quote的复数);v.报价(quote的第三人称单数);引用;复述;
A common theme running through all of these comments online is this fundamental belief that we are powerless to do anything other than go to meetings and suffer through these poorly run meetings and live to meet another day. 这些网路上的评论有一个共同点, 那就是我们觉得无能为力 来避免参加这些会议, 并且忍受这些效率很差的会议, 苟延残喘的活过另一天。
fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
But the truth is, we're not powerless at all. 但事实上,我们并不是无能为力,
In fact, the cure for MAS is right here in our hands. 实际上盲目接受症候群的解药就在我们手里,
It's right at our fingertips , literally . 真的就在我们的指尖,
fingertips:n.指尖;(fingertip的复数) literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地:
It's something that I call ?No MAS! 我称之为 ?No MAS!。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Which, if I remember my high school Spanish, means something like, "Enough already, make it stop!" 如果我还记得我高中的西班牙课, 这句话的意思大概是 已经够了,停止吧
Here's how No MAS works. It's very simple. 拒绝 MAS 的做法很简单,
First of all , the next time you get a meeting invitation that doesn't have a lot of information in it at all, click the tentative button! 首先,下次你接到会议邀请的时候, 那种没有任何相关资讯的会议邀请, 点击 不确定 按钮!
First of all:adv.首先; tentative:adj.试验性的,暂定的;踌躇的;n.假设,试验;
It's okay, you're allowed, that's why it's there. 你是可以这么做的,所以才有这个按钮,
It's right next to the accept button. 就在 接受 按钮的旁边,
Or the maybe button, or whatever button is there for you not to accept immediately. 或者是 或许 按钮,或什么其他按钮让你不用立刻同意接受。
Then, get in touch with the person who asked you to the meeting. 然后,去联络那个找你参加会议的人
in touch with:同…有联系,和…有接触;
Tell them you're very excited to support their work, ask them what the goal of the meeting is, and tell them you're interested in learning how you can help them achieve their goal. 告诉他你很高兴能后支持他的工作。 然后问他会议的目的, 告诉他们你愿意去学习如何幫助他们达成目标。
And if we do this often enough, and we do it respectfully , people might start to be a little bit more thoughtful about the way they put together meeting invitations . 如果我们经常这样做, 以尊重的态度这样做, 人们在邀请别人参与会议的时候 会多用点脑筋,
respectfully:adv.尊敬地; thoughtful:adj.深思的;体贴的;关切的; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; invitations:n.邀请;获得邀请;请帖;(invitation的复数)
And you can make more thoughtful decisions about accepting it. 而你也可以做出更周全的决定来接受它。
People might actually start sending out agendas . Imagine! 人们或许真的开始列出议程,想像一下!
agendas:n.会议议程(agenda的复数);
Or they might not have a conference call with 12 people to talk about a status when they could just do a quick email and get it done with. 或者他们不会开一个12人的电话会议来讨论现况, 当他们可以简单的使用电子邮件搞定。
status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份;
People just might start to change their behavior because you changed yours. 人们的行为会因为你的改变而改变,
And they just might bring your chair back, too. (Laughter) 而他们也许还会把你的椅子还给你。 (笑声)
No MAS!
Thank you. 谢谢
(Applause). (鼓掌)