|
|
DavidCage_2018-_视频游戏如何让玩家成为故事叙述者_
|
The way we tell stories has naturally changed since Aristotle defined the rules of tragedy about 2,500 years ago. |
自从约 2500年前,亚里士多德 定义了悲剧的规则以来, 我们讲故事的方式 自然而然地发生了变化。 |
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地; Aristotle:n.亚里士多德; defined:adj.有定义的,确定的; v.使明确; tragedy:n.悲惨的事;不幸;灾难;悲剧作品;
|
According to him, the role of storytelling is to mimic life and make us feel emotions . |
他认为, 讲故事的作用就是再现生活中的场景, 让我们的情感受到触动。 |
According to:根据,据说; storytelling:n.讲故事;说谎话;adj.讲故事的;说谎的; mimic:vt.模仿,摹拟;n.效颦者,模仿者;仿制品;小丑;adj.模仿的,模拟的;假装的; emotions:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感;(emotion的复数)
|
And that's exactly what storytelling as we know it has done very well since then. |
众所周知,从此之后 对故事的叙述越来越引人入胜。 |
But there is a dimension of life that storytelling could never really reproduce . |
但生活中有一个维度, 是故事永远无法真正再现的, |
dimension:n.方面;[数]维;尺寸;次元;容积vt.标出尺寸;adj.规格的; reproduce:v.繁殖;复制;再现;生育;
|
It is the notion of choices. |
这就是”选择“的概念。 |
notion:n.观念;信念;理解;
|
Choices are a very important part of our lives. |
“选择”是我们生活中 非常重要的一部分, |
We as individuals are defined by the choices we make. |
作为个人,我们是由自己 所做出的选择来定义的; |
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
|
Some of our decisions can have very significant consequences and totally change the courses of our lives. |
我们的一些决定可能 会产生非常重大的后果, 甚至彻底改变我们的人生历程。 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
|
But in a play, a novel or a film, the writer makes all the decisions in advance for the characters, and as the audience, we can only watch, passively , the consequences of his decisions. |
但在戏剧、小说或电影中, 作者已提前为角色做了所有的决定, 而作为观众的我们, 只能被动地 目睹作者的决定所产生的结果。 |
novel:adj.新奇的;异常的;n.小说; in advance:adv.预先,提前; passively:adv.被动地;顺从地;
|
As a storyteller , I've always been fascinated with the idea of recreating this notion of choices in fiction. |
作为一名故事叙述者, 我一直痴迷于在小说中 再现这种“选择”的概念。 |
storyteller:n.说故事的人;故事作者;短篇小说作家; recreating:v.再现;再创造;(recreate的现在分词)
|
My dream was to put the audience in the shoes of the main protagonists , let them make their own decisions, and by doing so, let them tell their own stories. |
我的梦想是让观众 站在主角们的立场上, 通过自己做决定, 来讲述自己的故事版本。 |
protagonists:主人公;主角;
|
Finding a way to achieve this is what I did in the past 20 years of my life. |
我花了 20 年的时间,想要 找到实现这一目标的方法。 |
Today, I would like to introduce you to this new way of telling stories, a way that has interactivity at its heart. |
今天, 我想向大家介绍 这种讲故事的新方式, 一种以“互动”为核心的方式。 |
interactivity:n.交互性;互动性;
|
Rather than exposing the theory behind it, which could have been kind of abstract and probably a little bit boring , |
与其直接揭示其背后 有点抽象,可能还有点无聊的理论, |
exposing:v.暴露;显露;揭露;揭穿;使面临;(expose的现在分词) abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要; boring:adj.无聊的;令人厌烦的;n.钻孔;v.使厌烦;钻孔;(bore的现在分词)
|
I thought it would be a great opportunity to do a little experiment. |
我觉得倒不如利用眼下这一 难得的机会来做一个小实验, |
I would like you, the people here at TED, to tell your own story. |
我希望在座的你们 能够讲述属于自己的故事。 |
So I came with an interactive scene that we are going to play together. |
所以,我带来了一个大家 可以共同参与的互动场景。 |
interactive:adj.合作的;相互影响的;互相配合的;交互式的;n.交互式视频设备;
|
I've asked Vicky -- hello, Vicky -- to control the main character for us. |
我会邀请维琪—— 你好,维琪—— 为我们操控主角。 |
And your role -- you, the audience -- will be to make the choices. |
而你们的角色—— 作为观众的你们—— 将要做出选择。 |
So Vicky and I don't know what's going to happen, because it will all be based on your decisions. |
维琪和我都不知道 接下来会发生什么, 因为,接下来要发生的一切 将完全取决于你们的决定。 |
This scene comes from our next game, called " Detroit : Become Human," |
这一幕取自我们的下一个 游戏 “底特律: 成为人类”, |
Detroit:n.底特律(美国一座城市);
|
and we are in the near future, where technology made possible the creation of androids that look exactly like human beings. |
场景是在不久的将来, 利用科技所打造的机器人 看起来和人类一模一样。 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语; creation:n.创造,创作;创作物,产物; androids:n.机器人;
|
We are in the shoes of this character called Connor, who is an android, and he can do very fancy things with coins, as you can see . |
我们现在站在康纳这个角色的立场, 他是个机器人, 就像你看到的那样, 他会用硬币玩酷酷的小把戏, |
fancy:n.幻想; adj.想象的; v.想象; as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的;
|
He has this blue triangle on this chest, as all androids do, and now Vicky is in control of this character. |
就像所有的机器人一样, 他的胸部有个蓝色三角形标识, 现在维琪正再操控这个角色, |
triangle:n.三角形;三角形物体;三角铁(打击乐器);三角关系;
|
She can walk around, she can go anywhere, she can look around, she can interact with her environment, and now she can tell her own stories by making choices. |
她可以(让角色)四处走动、 可以去任何地方, 可以环顾四周、 可以与环境互动, 现在,她可以通过选择 来讲述自己版本的故事。 |
So here we have our first choice. |
好了,现在我们要做出第一个选择。 |
There is a fish on the ground. |
地上有一条鱼, |
What should we do? |
我们该怎么办呢? |
Should we save it or should we leave it? |
我们是该拯救它,还是置之不理? |
Remember, we are under time pressure, so we'd better be fast. |
记住,我们没有太多时间, 所以最好快点。 |
What should we do? |
我们该怎么办呢? |
Audience: Save it! |
观众:救它呀! |
David Cage: Save it? Save the fish? |
大卫 · 凯奇:好,救起这条鱼对吧? |
(Video) (Fish plops) |
(视频)(鱼扑棱了一下) |
DC: There we go. |
大卫 · 凯奇:鱼得救了。 |
OK, we have an android who likes animals. |
看来我们的机器人喜欢动物。 |
OK, let's move on. |
那么, 我们继续前进。 |
Remember, we have a hostage situation. |
别忘了,我们还要去处理人质事件。 |
hostage:n.人质;抵押品;
|
(Video) Woman: Please, please, you've got to save my little girl! |
(视频)女人: 求你了,求你了, 请一定要救救我的女儿! |
Wait -- you're sending an android? |
等等——你们派了一个机器人来? |
Officer: All right, ma'am, you need to go. |
警官: 好了, 女士,你该走了。 |
W: You can't do that! |
女人:你们不能那么做! |
Why aren't you sending a real person? |
为什么不能派一个真人来呢? |
DC: OK, she's not really happy. |
大卫 · 凯奇:好吧, 这位女士不高兴了。 |
Her daughter's been taken hostage by an android, and of course, she's in a state of shock. |
她的女儿被一个机器人扣为人质, 当然, 她正处于震惊的状态。 |
Now we can continue to explore this apartment. |
现在,我们可以 继续侦察这个公寓了。 |
explore:v.探索:探测:探险:
|
We see all the SWAT forces in place. |
可以看到,所有的特警部队都已就位。 |
But we need to find this Captain Allen first. |
但我们得先找到艾伦上尉, |
That's the first thing we need to do. |
这是我们需要做的第一件事。 |
So, again, we can go anywhere. |
同样,我们可以去任何地方, |
Vicky's still in control of the character. |
维琪还在操控这个角色。 |
Let's see -- oh, I think this is Captain Allen. He's on the phone. |
我们来看一下—— 哦,我想 打电话的那人正是艾伦上尉。 |
(Video) Connor: Captain Allen, my name is Connor. |
(视频)康纳: 艾伦上尉,我叫康纳。 |
I'm the android sent by CyberLife. |
我是数字生命组织派来的机器人。 |
Captain Allen: Let's fire at everything that moves. |
艾伦上尉: 我们对所有 移动的东西开火吧, |
It already shot down two of my men. |
它已经打死了我的两个手下。 |
We could easily get it, but they're on the edge of the balcony -- it if falls, she falls. |
我们本来可以很轻易地制服它, 但他们现在在阳台的边缘—— 如果它掉下去, 她也会掉落下去。 |
on the edge of:adv.几乎;濒于;在…边缘; balcony:n.阳台;包厢;戏院楼厅;
|
DC: OK, now we need to decide what we want to ask the captain. |
那么,现在我们需要决定 想问上尉什么样的问题, |
What should be our choice? |
我们的选择应该是什么? |
Deviant 's name? Deviant 's behavior? Emotional shock? |
是问这个离经叛道的机器人的名字?它的 古怪行为?还是它的情绪是否受到了刺激? |
Deviant:n.不正常者;偏移值;变异物;adj.不正常的;离经叛道的; Emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
|
(Video) C: Has it experienced an emotional shock recently ? |
(视频)康纳:它最近情绪受过刺激吗? |
recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Capt A: I haven't got a clue . Does it matter? |
上尉:我不知道。 这(和绑架)有什么关系吗? |
clue:n.提示;迹象;(纵横填字谜、游戏或问题的)提示词语;v.提示;为…提供线索;
|
C: I need information to determine the best approach . |
康纳:我需要了解更多信息 以确定最好的(营救)方案。 |
determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
DC: OK, a second choice. Maybe we can learn something. |
大卫 · 凯奇:好了, 第二个选择来了。 也许我们可以了解一些东西。 |
What should we choose? |
我们应该选择什么? |
Audience: Behavior. |
观众: 行为。 |
DC: OK, deviant behavior, Vicky. |
大卫 · 凯奇:好,维琪, 问它是否举止古怪。 |
(Video) C: Do you know if it's been behaving strangely before this? |
(视频)康纳:你知道在这之前 它的行为是否很奇怪吗? |
behaving:v.表现:表现得体:有礼貌:(behave的现在分词) strangely:adv.奇怪地;奇妙地;不可思议地;
|
Capt A: Listen ... saving that kid is all that matters. |
上尉:听着,救那个孩子才是最重要的。 |
DC: OK, we are not going to learn anything from this guy. |
大卫 · 凯奇:看来,从这个 家伙身上了解不到什么信息。 |
We need to do something. |
我们需要做点什么, |
Let's try to go back in the lobby . |
我们再回到客厅试试吧。 |
lobby:n.大堂;门厅;民众接待厅;游说;v.游说(从政者或政府);
|
Oh, wait -- there's a room over there on your right, Vicky, I think. |
哦,等等—— 维琪, 你右边好像有一个房间, |
Maybe there's something we can learn here. |
也许我们可以在这里 了解到一些信息吧。 |
Oh, there's a tablet . |
哦, 有一个平板电脑, |
tablet:n.碑;药片;写字板;小块;
|
Let's have a look. |
我们一起来看看。 |
(Video) Girl: This is Daniel, the coolest android in the world. |
(视频)女孩:这是丹尼尔, 世界上最酷的机器人, |
Say "Hi," Daniel. |
说 嗨 丹尼尔。 |
Daniel: Hello! |
丹尼尔:哈罗! |
G: You're my bestie , we'll always be together! |
女孩:你是我最好的朋友, 我们会永远在一起! |
bestie:n.最好的朋友闺蜜;
|
DC: That was just one way of playing the scenes, but there are many other ways of playing it. |
大卫 · 凯奇:那只是场景的一种玩法, 还有很多其他的玩法。 |
Depending on the choices you make, we could have seen many different actions, many different consequences, many different outcomes . |
根据你做出的选择, 我们会看到许多不同的动作, 许多不同的结果, 许多不同的结局。 |
outcomes:n.结果;成果;后果;出路;(outcome的复数)
|
So that gives you an idea of what my work is about as an interactive writer. |
这样你们就能了解,我作为 一个互动作家的工作是什么。 |
Where a linear writer needs to deal with time and space, as an interactive writer, |
一个线性作家只需要构思时间和空间, 而作为一个互动的作家, |
linear:adj.线的,线型的;直线的,线状的;长度的;
|
I need to deal with time, space and possibilities. |
我要考虑时间、空间, 以及其他各种可能性。 |
I have to manage massive tree structures , where each branch is a new variation of the story. |
我必须处理大量分支结构中的情节, 而其中每个分支都是 故事的一个新的变量。 |
massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的; structures:n.结构; v.建造(structure的第三人称单数形式); variation:n.变异;变体;变奏;变种;
|
I need to think about all the possibilities in a given scene and try to imagine everything that can happen. |
我需要思考一个特定 场景中的所有可能性, 并努力想象一切 可能会发生的事情。 |
I need to deal with thousands and thousands of variables , conditions and possibilities. |
我需要处理成千上万的变量、 各种情况和可能性, |
variables:n.[数]变量;
|
As a consequence, where a film script is about 100 pages, an interactive script like this is between four and five thousand pages. |
结果就是,一个电影 剧本只需大约 100 页, 而像这样的交互式剧本,长度 却在 4000 到 5000 页之间。 |
script:n.剧本;电影剧本;笔迹;广播(或讲话等)稿;v.为电影(或戏剧等)写剧本;
|
So that gives you an idea of what this work is about. |
以上给大家介绍的就是我的工作内容。 |
But I think, in the end, the experience is very unique , because it is the result of the collaboration between a writer creating this narrative landscape and the player making his own decisions, telling his own story and becoming the cowriter but also the coactor and the codirector of the story. |
但我认为,最终这种 体验将是非常是独特的, 因为它是共同协作的成果, 由创造这种叙事场景的作家 和自己做决定的玩家共同来完成, 玩家在讲述自己的故事, 并成为故事的联合创作人、 联合演员和联合导演。 |
unique:adj.独特的,稀罕的;[数]唯一的;n.独一无二的人或物; collaboration:n.合作;勾结;通敌; narrative:n.叙述;故事;讲述;adj.叙事的,叙述的;叙事体的; landscape:n.景观;乡村风景画;(文件的)横向打印格式;v.对…做景观美化;美化…的环境;
|
Interactive storytelling is a revolution in the way we tell stories. |
互动的故事叙述是我们 讲故事方式的一场革命, |
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环; in the way:妨碍;挡道;
|
With the emergence of new platforms like interactive television, virtual reality and video games, it can become a new form of entertainment and maybe even a new form of art. |
随着像互动电视、 它可以成为一种新的娱乐形式, 甚至可能成为一种新的艺术形式。 |
emergence:n.出现,浮现;发生;露头; platforms:n.平台; v.把…放在台上; virtual reality:n.(计算机创造的)虚拟现实;
|
I am convinced that in the coming years, we will see more and more moving and meaningful interactive experiences, created by a new generation of talents. |
我坚信,在今后几年里, 我们还将看到越来越多、 由新一代人才创造的、 感人而有意义的互动体验。 |
convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式) meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
|
This is a medium waiting for its Orson Welles or its Stanley Kubrick, and I have no doubt that they will soon emerge and be recognized as such. |
这是一个在等待它的奥森 · 威尔斯 或斯坦利 · 库布里克出现的媒介, 而我相信他们很快就会出现, 并成为新时代的电影大师。 |
medium:n.(传播信息的)媒介;手段;工具;方法;adj.中等的;中号的; recognized:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;(recognize的过去分词和过去式)
|
I believe that interactive storytelling can be what cinema was in the 20th century: an art that deeply changes its time. |
我相信,互动的故事叙述 会成为 20 世纪电影的新貌: 一种深刻改变时代的艺术! |
Thank you. |
谢谢! |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |