返回首页

DavedeBronkart_2010X-_认识e_病人dave_

It's an amazing thing that we're here to talk about the year of patients rising. 我们能在这里交流关于病人崛起之年 是一件很奇妙的事情。
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
You heard stories earlier today about patients who are taking control of their cases, patients who are saying, "You know what, I know what the odds are, but I'm going to go look for more information. 今天早些时候,你们听到了 有些病人能够自己掌握自己病情 这些病人会说:“你知道吗,虽然我知道机会不大, 但我还是要找到更多的信息。
odds:n.几率;胜算;不平等;差别;
I'm going to define what the terms of my success are." 我想定义 什么对我算作成功
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
I'm going to be sharing with you how four years ago I almost died -- found out I was, in fact, already almost dead. 我要和你们分享 我如何在四年前几乎死掉, 实际上在那时我被认为 几乎已经死了。
And what I then found out about what's called the e-Patient movement -- 接着我在这个被称为是e-病人的运动中发现了什么 --
I'll explain what that term means. 等会儿我会解释这个名词的含义。
I had been blogging under the name Patient Dave, and when I discovered this, 我曾经用病人Dave这个名字写博客。 但在我发现这个运动以后
blogging:v.写网志;写博客(blog的现在分词)
I just renamed myself e-Patient Dave. 我把自己名字改成了e-病人Dave.
renamed:v.重新命名;给…改名;(rename的过去分词和过去式)
Regarding the word "patient," 说到病人这个词,
Regarding:prep.关于;至于;v.将…认为;把…视为;看待;(regard的现在分词)
when I first started a few years ago getting involved in health care and attending meetings as just a casual observer , 当我几年前开始 参与到医疗事业中 并且以一般听众出席各种会议的时候,
involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词) health care:n.卫生保健; observer:n.观察员;观察者;观察家;观测者;
I noticed that people would talk about patients as if it was somebody who's not in the room here, somebody out there. 我注意到他们谈到病人 就好像是在讲不一个不在这个现场的人, 毫无关系的人。
Some of our talks today, we still act like that. 今天的某些演讲,仍然存在这样的态度。
But I'm here to tell you, "patient" is not a third-person word. 但是我在这里要告诉你们, 病人绝不是一个第三人称的词。
third-person:第三人称角色;
You, yourself, will find yourself in a hospital bed -- or your mother, your child -- there are heads nodding, people who say, "Yes, I know exactly what you mean." 你,你自己 会有一天发现自己躺在医院的病床上-- 或者你的母亲,你的孩子-- 我看到很多人在点头,他们说:“我完全了解你的意思*.
So when you hear what I'm going to talk about here today, first of all , I want to say that I am here on behalf of all the patients that I have ever met, all the ones I haven't met. 所以,当你听到今天我要和你讲到的内容的时候, 首先,我想说, 我在这里代表了 我曾经遇到过的所有病人 和我从没遇到过的所有病人。
first of all:adv.首先; on behalf of:代表;为了;
This is about letting patients play a more active role in helping health care, in fixing health care. 我们是要让病人们扮演一个更积极的角色 在帮助医疗事业上,在修复医疗事业上。
One of the senior doctors at my hospital, 我医院里的一个主任医师,
senior:adj.大;级别(或地位)高的;成人的;高级水平的;n.上级;上司;较…年长的人;
Charlie Safran, and his colleague , Warner Slack , have been saying for decades that the most underutilized resource in all of health care is the patient. Charlie Safran 和他的同事Warner Slack, 这几十年都在宣扬这样一个观念: 在医疗产业里最没有被充分利用的资源 就是病人。
colleague:n.同事,同僚; Warner:n.警告者;报警器; Slack:adj.松弛的;疏忽的;不流畅的;v.松懈;减弱;n.煤末;峡谷;adv.马虎地;缓慢地; underutilized:vt.未充分使用(underutilize过去式); resource:n.资源;资料;才智;财力;v.向…提供资金(或设备);
They have been saying that since the 1970s. 他们从1970年代就开始倡导这个观念。
Now I'm going to step back in history. 现在我要回溯一下历史。
This is from July, 1969. 1969年7月,
I was a freshman in college, and this was when we first landed on the Moon. 我还是一个大学新生。 就是在这一年我们第一次登上了月球。
And it was the first time we had ever seen from another surface -- that's the place where you and I are right now, where we live. 这是有史以来第一次 我们从地球以外的空间看这个世界。 你和我现在,我们正在生活的 这个世界。
The world was changing. 世界一直在改变,
It was about to change in ways that nobody could foresee . 而且以没有人可以预料的方式在改变。
was about to:眼看就要;即将;正要;行将; foresee:vt.预见;预知;
A few weeks later, 登月的几个星期之后,
Woodstock happened. 伍德斯托克音乐节举行了。
Woodstock:n.伍德斯托克音乐节(每年8月在纽约州东南部Woodstock举行的摇滚音乐节);
Three days of fun and music. 整整三天的音乐和狂欢。
Here, just for historical authenticity , is a picture of me in that year. 为了历史的真实性, 这里是一张我在当年的照片。
historical:adj.历史的;史学的;基于史实的; authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Yeah, the wavy hair, the blue eyes -- it was really something. 是的,波浪状的头发,湛蓝的眼睛。 真不是一般的。
wavy:adj.多浪的;波动起伏的;
That Fall of 1969, the Whole Earth Catalog came out. 1969年的秋天, 《全球目录》出版了。
Catalog:n.目录册;产品样本;学校便览;一览表;v.(为…)编目录;(把…)按目录分类;
It was a hippie journal of self-sufficiency . 这是一本自以为是,嬉皮风的期刊。
hippie:n.嬉皮士;嬉皮模样的年青人;adj.嬉皮的; journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报; self-sufficiency:n.自给自足;自负;
We think of hippies of being just hedonists, but there's a very strong component -- I was in that movement -- a very strong component of being responsible for yourself. 我们觉得嬉皮们仅仅是享乐主义者。 但其中有一个重要的组成部分,我也曾经参与到那场运动中, 就是一个很重要的 自己对自己负责的态度。
hippies:n.嬉皮士(hippy的复数); component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的; responsible:adj.负责的,可靠的;有责任的;
This book's title's subtitle is: "Access to Tools." 这本书的副标题 是“拿起工具”。
subtitle:n.副标题;说明或对白的字幕;vt.在…上印字幕;给…加副标题;
And it talked about how to build your own house, how to grow your own food, all kinds of things. 它提到了如何建造自己的房子, 如何种植自己的食物,所有像这样的事情。
In the 1980s, this young doctor, Tom Ferguson, was the medical editor of the Whole Earth Catalog. 在1980年代。 一个叫Tom Ferguson的医生, 是《全球目录》的医学编辑。
And he saw that the great majority of what we do in medicine and health care is taking care of ourselves. 他发现我们在医学和保健领域 做的绝大多数事情 就是保养自己。
majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
In fact, he said it was 70 to 80 percent of how we actually take care of our bodies. 事实上,他说百分之70到80都是 关于我们如何保养自己的身体。
Well he also saw that when health care turns to medical care because of a more serious disease , the key thing that holds us back is access to information. 他还发现, 当因为更严重的疾病, 从保健转到医疗的时候, 拖我们后腿的主要是信息的不公开。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
And when the Web came along, that changed everything, because not only could we find information, we could find other people like ourselves who could gather, who could bring us information. 当互联网出现后,所有都改变了。 不仅仅因为我们能找到信息, 还因为我们能够找到像我们一样的其他人 帮我们收集,传递信息。
And he coined this term e-Patients -- equipped, engaged , empowered , enabled . 他发明了e-病人这个词。 装备好,态度正,力量强,能力高(这四个词英文首字母都是e)。
engaged:adj.已订婚的; v.吸引住; (engage的过去分词和过去式) empowered:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;(empower的过去分词和过去式) enabled:v.使得;授予…权力;(enabled是enable的过去式)
Obviously at this stage of life he was in a somewhat more dignified form than he was back then. 明显地在生命的这个阶段, 他看起来比当时更人模人样的。(不再是个嬉皮了)
somewhat:n.几分;某物;adv.有点;多少;几分;稍微; dignified:adj.端庄的; v.使有尊严; (dignify的过去分词和过去式)
Now I was an engaged patient long before I ever heard of the term. 而现在我是一个全心投入的病人 远在我听到这个词之前。
In 2006, I went to my doctor for a regular physical , and I had said, "I have a sore shoulder." 2006年,我去找我医生做了一个例行的体检。 我告诉他,我肩膀酸。
physical:adj.[物]物理的;身体的;物质的;符合自然法则的;n.体格检查; sore:n.疮;痛处;伤处;adj.(发炎)疼痛的;酸痛的;气恼;愤慨;
Well, I got an X-ray, and the next morning -- you may have noticed, those of you who have been through a medical crisis will understand this. 他就给我做了X光。 第二天早上, 你们可能注意到了,你们中那些经历过健康危机的 会理解。
crisis:n.危机;危险期;决定性时刻;adj.危机的;用于处理危机的;
This morning, some of the speakers named the date when they found out about their condition. 今天早上,有些演讲者 能顺口讲出他们发现自己患病的日期。
For me, it was 9:00 AM on January 3, 2007. 对我来说,是2007年1月3日 早上九点。
I was at the office; my desk was clean; 我在办公室,办公桌一尘不染;
I had the blue partition carpet on the walls. 蓝色的窗帘挂在墙上,
partition:n.划分,分开;[数]分割;隔墙;隔离物;vt.[数]分割;分隔;区分; carpet:n.地毯;v.用地毯铺(房间的)地板;
The phone rang and it was my doctor. 电话这时响了,是我的医生。
He said, "Dave, I pulled up the X-ray image on the screen on the computer at home." 他说,Dave,我在家把X光片找出来 在电脑屏幕上观察,
He said, "Your shoulder's going to be fine, but Dave, there's something in your lung." 他说,你的肩膀没问题。 但是Dave,你的肺部有些状况。
And if you look in that red oval , that shadow was not supposed to be there. 如果你看看那个红色椭圆状的东西, 阴影应该在那个地方。
oval:n.椭圆形;卵形;澳大利亚式橄榄球球场;adj.椭圆形的;卵形的; supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
To make a long story short , 长话短说,
make a long story short:长话短说,简而言之;总之;
I said, "So you need me to get back in there?" 我问他,你需要我回去再做检查吗?
He said, "Yeah, we're going to need to do a CT scan of your chest." 他说,“是的,我们要在你的胸部做个CT扫描。”
CT scan:n."CATscan"的单数;
And in parting I said, "Is there anything I should do?" 最后我问他,我能做点什么吗?
He said -- think about this one. 他说-- 想想看,
This is the advice your doctor gives you: "just go home and have a glass of wine with your wife." 你医生给你这样的建议的时候, 就回家和你的妻子喝一杯吧。
I went in for the CAT scan , and it turns out there were five of these things in both my lungs. 我去做了CT扫描。 结果我肺部出现了五个阴影。
CAT scan:n.计算机层析成像扫描;
So at that point we knew that it was cancer . 于是这时我们确定我得了癌症。
cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
We knew it wasn't lung cancer. 我们知道这不是肺癌,
That meant it was metastasized from somewhere. 这意味着,是其他癌症转移到了肺部。
metastasized:v.(癌)转移;扩散;(metastasize的过去分词和过去式)
The question was, where from? 问题是,到底是什么地方的癌症?
So I went in for an ultrasound . 我又做了一次超声波。
ultrasound:n.超声;超音波;
I got to do what many women have -- the jelly on the belly and bzzzz. 就像很多做孕检的妇女一样, 胶抹在肚子上,然后滋滋地响。
jelly:n.果冻;胶状物;vi.成胶状;vt.使结冻; belly:n.腹部;胃;食欲;v.涨满;鼓起;
My wife came with me. 我妻子陪着我。
She's a veterinarian , so she's seen lots of ultrasounds . 她是一个兽医, 所以她看过很多超声波片。
veterinarian:n.[兽医]兽医; ultrasounds:n.超声;超音波;
I mean, she knows I'm not a dog. 我想说,她知道我不是一条狗,
But what we saw -- this is an MRI image. 但我们看到的,这是MRI的图像。
This is much sharper than an ultrasound would be. 要比超声波清楚得多。
sharper:n.骗子;赌棍;欺诈犯;
What we saw in that kidney was that big blob there. 我们在肾部 看了一个大肿块。
kidney:n.[解剖]肾脏;腰子;个性; blob:n.一滴;一抹;v.弄脏;把…做错;得零分;
And there were actually two of these. 实际上是两个。
One was growing out the front and it had already erupted , and it latched onto the bowel . 一个长在前端,已经爆开。 贴在肠子上。
erupted:v.爆发;长出(erupt的过去分词); latched:adj.锁住;锁存的;锁闭的,关紧的,系住的;闩锁,门锁; bowel:n.肠;内部最深处
One was growing out the back, and it attached to the soleus muscle , which is a big muscle in the back that I'd never heard of, but all of a sudden I cared about it. 还有一个长在后端,和比目鱼肌连在一块。 这是一个我从没听说过的在背部的一大块肌肉。 但突然之间我开始关心它了。
attached:adj.依恋;v.重视;把…固定;(attach的过去分词和过去式) muscle:n.肌肉;力量;v.加强;使劲搬动;使劲挤出; all of a sudden:突然地,出乎意料地;
I went home. 我回到了家
Now I've been Googling -- I've been online since 1989 on CompuServe. 现在我一直在用Google搜索,自1989年其就用Compuserv(早期美国网络提供商)上网。
Googling:网上搜索,谷歌一下;
I went home, and I know you can't read the details here; that's not important. 我回到了家,我知道你们不可能知道这些细节。 但这不重要。
My point is I went to a respected medical website, 我想说的是,我去了一个有声望的医学网站,
WebMD, because I know how to filter out junk. WebMD. 因为我知道怎么过滤掉垃圾。
filter:n.滤波器;过滤器;滤光器;滤声器;v.过滤;渗入;(用程序)筛选;缓行;
I also found my wife online. 我在网上认识了我的妻子。
Before I met her, 在认识她之前,
I went through some suboptimal search results. 我处理了一些不是很理想的搜索结果。
suboptimal:adj.次最优的;最适度下的;未达最佳标准的;
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I looked for quality information. 所以我尝试搜索有质量的信息
There's so much about trust -- what sources of information can we trust? 这是和信任非常有关的事情。 什么来源的信息我们能信任?
sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
Where does my body end and an invader start? 我的身体能承受到什么地步? 侵略者从哪里开始进攻?
invader:n.侵略者;侵入物;
And cancer, a tumor , is something you grow out of your own tissue . 癌症,一个肿瘤,是从你自己身体的组织里长出来的。
tumor:n.肿瘤;肿块;赘生物; grow out of:产生于;因长大而丢弃;长得太高大; tissue:n.纸巾,手巾纸;(人、动植物细胞的)组织;
How does that happen? 这是怎么发生的?
Where does medical ability end and start? 医疗水平能解决 到什么程度?
Well, so what I read on WebMD: "The prognosis is poor for progressing renal cell cancer. 于是我在WebMD上读到, 发展中的肾癌 治愈率很低
prognosis:n.[医]预后;预知; renal:adj.[解剖]肾脏的,[解剖]肾的;
Almost all patients are incurable ." 几乎所有的病人都是治不好的。
incurable:adj.不能治愈的;无可救药的;n.患不治之症者,不能治愈的人;
I've been online long enough to know if I don't like the first results I get, 以我在上网这么多年的经验,我知道 如果我不喜欢我得到的第一个结果
I go look for more. 我就能找到更多。
And what I found was on other websites, even by the third page of Google results, " Outlook is bleak ", "Prognosis is grim ." 我在其他的网站上, 即使到了Google搜索结果的第三页, 前景不可观。 治愈率低下。
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; Outlook:n.见解;前景;人生观;可能性; bleak:adj.阴冷的;荒凉的,无遮蔽的;黯淡的,无希望的;冷酷的;单调的; grim:adj.冷酷的;糟糕的;残忍的;
And I'm thinking, "What the heck ?" 我想说,这是怎么了
heck:n.(英口)同"hell",表示略微烦恼或吃惊;
I didn't feel sick at all. 我一点不觉得有什么不舒服
I mean, I'd been getting tired in the evening, but I was 56 years old. 我会在傍晚的时候觉得累, 但我已经56岁。
I was slowly losing weight, but for me, that was what the doctor told me to do. 我体重在慢慢地减少, 但对我来说,这正是医生告诉我要去做的
It was really something. 真不知道这是一个什么事儿。
And this is the diagram of stage four kidney cancer from the drug I eventually got. 这是一个第四阶段肾癌的图片。 从我最终吃的药物里得到的。
eventually:adv.最后,终于;
Totally by coincidence , there's that thing in my lung. 完全巧合的,我的肺里也有同样的东西。
coincidence:n.巧合,巧事;同时存在;并存;相同;
In the left femur , the left thigh bone , there's another one. 在左股骨,左大腿骨,还有另外一个。
femur:n.[解剖]股骨;大腿骨; thigh bone:n.股骨;
I had one. My leg eventually snapped . 我有一个。我的腿最后断掉了。
snapped:v.断裂,绷断; (snap的过去分词和过去式)
I fainted and landed on it, and it broke. 我昏倒,落在腿上,腿就断了。
fainted:v.昏厥(faint的过去分词和过去式)
There's one in the skull , and then just for good measure , I had these other tumors -- including, by the time my treatment started, one was growing out of my tongue. 颅骨上有一个, 为了描述清楚,我有这些其他的肿瘤 包括,在我开始治疗的时候, 我的舌头里长了一个。
skull:n.头盖骨,脑壳; for good measure:作为额外增添;另外; tumors:n.肿瘤(tumor的复数); treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论;
I had kidney cancer growing out of my tongue. 我的肾癌转移到了我的舌头里。
And what I read was that my median survival was 24 weeks. 我了解到平均存活期 是24个星期。
median:n.n.中值,中位数;三角形中线;梯形中位线;adj.中值的;中央的; survival:n.幸存,残存;幸存者,残存物;
This was bad. 这很糟糕。
I was facing the grave . 我一条腿就已经跨到坟墓里去了。
grave:adj.重大的;严肃的;黯淡的;n.墓穴,坟墓;死亡;v.雕刻;铭记;
I thought, "What's my mother's face going to look like on the day of my funeral ?" 我想,我的母亲的脸在我的葬礼上看起来 会怎么样?
funeral:n.葬礼;麻烦事;adj.丧葬的,出殡的;
I had to sit down with my daughter and say, "Here's the situation." 我不得不坐下来和我的女儿 说,情况是这样的。
Her boyfriend was with her. 她的男友也在场。
I said, "I don't want you guys to get married prematurely just so you can do it while Dad's still alive." 我说,我不希望你们过早地结婚 仅仅因为你们想在爸爸还活着的时候把婚结了。
prematurely:adv.过早地;早熟地;
It's really serious. 情况真的很严重。
Because if you wonder why patients are motivated and want to help, think about this. 因为如果你想知道为什么病人们被激励而想彼此帮助, 这样想想。
motivated:adj.有动机的; v.使产生动机;
Well, my doctor prescribed a patient community , 我的医生告诉我了一个病人互助社区,
prescribed:v.给…开(药); (prescribe的过去式和过去分词) community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
Acor.org, a network of cancer patients, of all amazing things. Acor.org 一个癌症病人的网络,有各种各样奇妙的东西。
Very quickly they told me, "Kidney cancer is an uncommon disease. 很快他们告诉我, 肾癌是一种不常见的疾病。
uncommon:adj.不寻常的;罕有的;adv.非常地;
Get yourself to a specialist center. 找一个专科的治疗中心。
There is no cure, but there's something that sometimes works -- it usually doesn't -- called high-dosage interleukin . 没有治疗的方法,但是有种疗法有的时候会有效, 虽然它通常不会起效, 这种方法叫做高剂量白介素。
interleukin:n.白细胞间介素;
Most hospitals don't offer it, so they won't even tell you it exists. 大部分医院不提供这种疗法。 所以他们根本不告诉这种疗法存在。
And don't let them give you anything else first. 先不要让他们告诉你别的事情。
And by the way , here are four doctors in your part of the United States who offer it and their phone numbers." 对了,在你所在的美国的地区,有四位医生 提供这种疗法,他们的电话号码是。
by the way:顺便说一下; United:adj.联合的; v.联合,团结; (unite的过去分词和过去式)
How amazing is that? 这是多么美妙的事情?
(Applause) (掌声)
Here's the thing. 现在的情况是。
Here we are, four years later: you can't find a website that gives patients that information. 我们在这里,四年以后, 你找不到一个网站告诉你这个信息。
Government-approved, American Cancer Society, but patients know what patients want to know. 政府批准,美国癌症协会, 但是病人还是能知道病人想知道的。
It's the power of patient networks. 这就是病人网络的力量。
This amazing substance -- again I mentioned, where does my body end? 这个奇妙的物质 我再次提到,我身体的极限在哪里?
substance:n.物质;实质;主旨;物品;
My oncologist and I talk a lot these days because I try to keep my talks technically accurate . 我的肿瘤医生和我在这段时间经常交流, 因为我试着让我的演讲技术上精确。
oncologist:n.肿瘤学家;肿瘤医师; accurate:adj.精确的;
And he said, "You know, the immune system is good at detecting invaders -- bacteria coming from outside -- but when it's your own tissue that you've grown, it's a whole different thing." 他说,你知道,免疫系统 在侦察入侵者方面非常在行。 细菌来自外部, 但是当长的是你自己的组织的时候, 这是完全不同的一回事儿。
immune system:n.免疫系统; detecting:n.检测;检定;v.发现;探知(detect的现在分词);adj.探测的; invaders:n.侵略者(invader的复数);侵入种; bacteria:n.[微]细菌;
And I went through a mental exercise actually, because I started a patient support community of my own on a website, and one of my friends, one of my relatives actually, said, "Look, Dave, who grew this thing? 我其实经历过了一次精神上的锻炼, 因为我自己在一个网站上创办了一个 病人互助的社区。 我的一个朋友,我的一个亲戚,实际上是, 说,看Dave谁说长这个东西?
mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; relatives:n.亲戚;亲属;同类事物;(relative的复数)
Are you going to set yourself up as mentally attacking yourself?" 你想要在精神上攻击你自己 来挖洞给自己跳吗?
mentally:adv.精神上,智力上;心理上;
So we went into it. 于是我们着手开始。
And the story of how all that happens is in this book. 这本书里有关于这些怎么发生的故事。
Anyway, this is the way the numbers unfolded . 无论如何,这是这些数字如何被发现的。
unfolded:v.(使)展开;打开;展示;透露;(unfold的过去分词和过去式)
Me being me, I put the numbers from my hospital's website from my tumor sizes into a spreadsheet . 我说做就做,我把这些关于我肿瘤大小的数字从我医院的网站上 转到电子表格里。
spreadsheet:n.电子制表软件;电子数据表;试算表;
Don't worry about the numbers. 别在意这些数字。
You see, that's the immune system. 你们看,这是免疫系统。
Amazing thing, those two yellow lines are where I got the two doses of interleukin two months apart. 这奇妙的两条黄线, 就是我注射两剂白介素的地方。 两个月以后,
doses:v.服药(dose的三单形式);n.[药][核]剂量(dose的复数);
And look at how the tumor sizes plummeted in between. 再看肿瘤大小是如何迅速减少的
plummeted:n.[测]铅锤,坠子;vi.垂直落下;(价格,水平等)骤然下跌;
Just incredible . 简直是难以置信。
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
Who knows what we'll be able to do when we learn to make more use of it. 谁能想到我们能够做什么,当我们学会跟多利用一件是的时候。
The punch line is that a year and a half later, 关键是,一年半以后,
punch:n.冲床; v.拳打; (用打孔器等)打孔;
I was there when this magnificent young woman, my daughter, got married. 在这个美丽的年轻女人,我的女儿, 结婚的时候,我出现了在现场。
magnificent:adj.高尚的;壮丽的;华丽的;宏伟的;
And when she came down those steps, and it was just her and me for that moment, 当她走下这些台阶时, 那一刻好像只有我和她。
I was so glad that she didn't have to say to her mother, "I wish Dad could have been here." 我真是高兴她不用和她母亲说, 我真希望我爸爸能在这儿。
And this is what we're doing when we make health care better. 这就是我们在做的, 为了使医疗事业更好。
Now I want to talk briefly about a couple of other patients who are doing everything in their power to improve health care. 现在我想简单的谈一下另外几位病人, 他们用尽所有的力量来改善医疗事业。
briefly:adv.简要地;简短地;暂时地; improve:v.改进;改善;
This is Regina Holliday, a painter in Washington D.C., whose husband died of kidney cancer a year after my disease. 这是Regina Holliday. 一位华盛顿的画家。 她的丈夫死于肾癌,就在我得肾癌一年以后。
Regina:n.女王;女王称号;
She's painting here a mural of his horrible final weeks in the hospital. 她在这儿画了一幅壁画, 描绘了她丈夫在医院悲惨的最后几个星期。
mural:adj.墙壁的;n.壁画;(美)壁饰; horrible:可怕的,极讨厌的,
One of the things that she discovered was that her husband's medical record in this paper folder was just disorganized . 她发现的事情之一是 她丈夫的医疗记录 在这个纸质的文件夹里 乱七八糟的放着。
folder:n.文件夹;折叠机;折叠式印刷品; disorganized::v.瓦解;打乱;(disorganize的过去式和过去分词形式)
And she thought, "You know, if I have a nutrition facts label on the side of a cereal box, why can't there be something that simple telling every new nurse who comes on duty, every new doctor, the basics about my husband's condition?" 她想,如果我能在麦片包装上找到 营养信息的标签。 为什么不能有一种简单的方法 告诉每一个新来值班的护士, 每一个新的医生, 我丈夫病情的基本情况。
nutrition:n.营养,营养学;营养品; label:n.标签;标记;谓;唱片公司;v.贴标签于;用标签标明; on the side of:拥护…;站在…一边;赞助; cereal:n.谷物;谷类植物;adj.谷类制成的;
So she painted this medical facts mural with a nutrition label, something like that, in a diagram of him. 于是她把这些医疗状况画成了壁画, 加上了一个营养标签。 就像这个上面一样。 在他的图表上。
She then, last year, painted this diagram. 她然后在去年画了这张表。
She studied health care like me. 她像我一样演技医疗事业。
She came to realize that there were a lot of people who'd written patient advocate books that you just don't hear about at medical conferences . 她意识到有很多人, 他们写了倡导病人权利的书, 但你们就是在医学会议上听不到这些书。
advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; conferences:n.会议(conference的复数形式);
Patients are such an underutilized resource. 病人是如此没有被充分利用的资源,
Well as it says in my introduction, 就像我在开头介绍里说到,
I've gotten somewhat known for saying that patients should have access to their data. 我不知何故以倡导病人应该有取得原始数据的权利而被知道
And I actually said at one conference a couple of years ago, "Give me my damn data, because you people can't be trusted to keep it clean." 我实际上在几年之前在一个会议上说到, 给我该死的数据, 因为你们这些人不能被信任,让这些数据清楚明白。
damn:v.谴责;该死;n.诅咒;adj.可恶的;
And here she has our damned data -- it's a pun -- which is starting to break out, starting to break through -- the water symbolizes our data. 听她有我们该死的数据。 这有一个寓意(指上面提到的壁画) 它开始涌出,开始突破。 水就象征着我们的数据。
damned:adj.该死的; v.该死,混账; (damn的过去分词和过去式) break through:突破;突围;有重要创见; symbolizes:v.象征;是…的象征;代表;(symbolize的第三人称单数)
And in fact, I want to do a little something improvisational for you here. 实际上,我想为你们来点即兴的东西,
improvisational:adj.即兴的;
There's a guy on Twitter that I know, a health IT guy outside Boston , and he wrote the e-Patient rap . 在Twitter上我认识一个人, 一个在波士顿附近医疗信息业工作的人, 他写了一首饶舌歌,
Boston:n.波士顿(美国城市); rap:n.说唱;说唱音乐;罪责;不公正的判决;v.击打;突然大声说出;严厉批评;
And it goes like this. 是这样唱得,
? Gimme my damn data ? ?给我该死的数据,?
Gimme:轻而易举的事;给我;
? I want to be an e-Patient just like Dave ? ?我想要成为一个e-病人就像Dave,?
? Gimme my damn data, cuz it's my life to save ? ?给我该死的数据,因为需要救得是我的命?
Now I'm not going to go any further. 我跑题得远了。
(Applause) (掌声)
Well thank you. That shot the timing. 谢谢你们,时间刚刚好。
(Laughter) (笑声)
Think about the possibility, why is it that iPhones and iPads advance far faster than the health tools that are available to you to help take care of your family? 想想这个可能性, 为什么iPhone和iPad要 发展得快得多 比那些你能够让你用来 照顾你家庭的医疗器具
Here's a website, VisibleBody.com, that I stumbled across. 这有一个网站,VisibleBody.com 我偶尔会访问,
stumbled:v.绊脚;跌跌撞撞地走;蹒跚而行;(stumble的过去分词和过去式)
And I thought, "You know, I wonder what my soleus muscle is?" 我想说,我想了解什么是比目鱼肌?
So you can click on things and remove it. 你可以点击不同的部位并且移动它。
And I saw, "Aha, that's the kidney and the soleus muscle." 我发现,哈,这是肾脏,这是比目鱼肌。
And I was rotating it in 3D and saying, "I understand now." 我在3D的模式下旋转, 说到,我现在了解了。
rotating:v.(使)旋转,转动;(工作)由…轮值;(rotate的现在分词)
And then I realized it reminded me of Google Earth, where you can fly to any address. 这让我想到Google Earth, 你可以飞到任何一个地址。
reminded:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的过去分词和过去式)
And I thought, "Why not take this and connect it to my digital scan data and have Google Earth for my body?" 我想,为什么不把这个 和我的数码扫描数据联在一起, 为我的身体造一个Google Earth?
digital:adj.数字的;手指的;n.数字;键;
What did Google come out with this year? Google今年推出了什么?
come out with:说出;发表;出版;供应,把…投入市场;
Now there's Google Body browser . 现在有Google 身体浏览器
browser:n.[计]浏览器;吃嫩叶的动物;浏览书本的人;
But you see, it's still generic . 但你可以看到,它仍然是泛泛的
generic:adj.类的;一般的;属的;非商标的;
It's not my data. 不是我自己的数据。
But if we can get that data out from behind the dam so software innovators can pounce on it, the way software innovators like to do, who knows what we'll be able to come up with . 但是如果你能把数据从坝后面弄出来, 软件开发师能在这些数据上改造, 就像软件开发师喜欢做得那样。 谁知道我能想出什么。
innovators:n.创新者;发明家签证;革新消费者(innovator的复数形式); pounce:v.突袭;猛扑;n.抓;吸墨粉 come up with:提出;想出;赶上;
One final story: this is Kelly Young, a rheumatoid arthritis patient from Florida. 最后一个故事:这是Kelly Young. 一个类风湿性关节炎的患者。 她来自佛罗里达。
rheumatoid arthritis:n.类风湿(性)关节炎;
This is a live story unfolding just in the last few weeks. 这是一个正在发生的故事。 就在最近几个星期展开。
unfolding:v.(使)展开;打开;展示;透露;(unfold的现在分词)
RA patients, as they call themselves -- her blog is RA Warrior -- have a big problem because 40 percent of them have no visible symptoms . 类风病人,他们这样称呼自己 她的博客叫类风勇士- 有一个很大的问题。 因为他们其中百分之40都没有可以观察到的症状。
Warrior:n.勇士; visible:adj.明显的;看得见的;现有的;可得到的;n.可见物;进出口贸易中的有形项目; symptoms:n.症状;征候;征兆;(symptom的复数)
And that makes it just really hard to tell how the disease is going. 这就让了解疾病发展的状况变得很难。
And some doctors think, " Yeah right , you're really in pain." 有些医生会觉得,是啊,你真的很痛。
Yeah right:民谣摇滚;
Well she found, through her online research, a nuclear bone scan that's usually used for cancer, but it can also reveal inflammation . 但是她通过网上的研究发现, 一种核子骨扫描 它通常用在癌症诊断上, 但它也能够发现炎症。
nuclear:adj.原子能的;[细胞]细胞核的;中心的;原子核的; reveal:v.显示;透露;揭露;泄露;n.揭露;暴露;门侧,窗侧; inflammation:n.[病理]炎症;[医]发炎;燃烧;发火;
And she saw that if there is no inflammation then the scan is a uniform gray. 她发现 如果没有炎症, 扫描是一致的灰色。
uniform:adj.统一的;一致的;相同的;始终如一的;n.制服;v.使穿制服;使成一样;
So she took it. 所以她做了一次扫描。
And the radiologist report said, "No cancer found." 放射科医生的报告上说,无癌症迹象。
radiologist:n.放射线研究者;
Well that's not what he was supposed to do with it. 这不是他通常会做的事情。
So she had it read again, she wanted to have it read again, and her doctor fired her. 于是她让他把片子再读一遍。她想要把片子再读一遍。 医生不干了。
She pulled up the CD. 她找出CD.
He said, "If you don't want to follow my instructions, go away." 他说,如果你不想遵守我的指导 就走开。
So she pulled up the CD of the scan images , and look at all those hot spots. 于是她找出存有扫描图像的CD, 查看所有那些重要的位点。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
And she's now actively engaged on her blog in looking for assistance in getting better care. 现在她活跃在她的博客上 寻求帮助来获得更好的治疗。
See, that is an empowered patient -- no medical training. 你看,这就是一个把命运握在自己手里的病人,没有任何医学专业训练。
We are, you are, the most underused resource in health care. 我们是,你们是 医疗事业里最没有被充分利用的资源。
underused:adj.未充分利用的;
What she was able to do was because she had access to the raw data. 她能做这些 是因为她能拿到原始的数据。
How big a deal was this? 这个是多大的一个问题?
Well at TED2009, 在TED2009上,
Tim Berners-Lee himself, inventor of the Web, gave a talk where he said the next big thing is not to have your browser go out and find other people's articles about the data, but the raw data. Tim Berners-Lee自己,互联网的发明这,做了一个报告, 他说下一个重要的发展 不是用你的浏览器 来找到关于这些数据的文章, 而是真的真正的原始数据。
And he got them chanting by the end of the talk, "Raw data now. 在报告的最后,他让所有的听众一起喊 现在就要原始数据
chanting:念咒;
Raw data now." 现在就要原始数据。
And I ask you, three words, please, to improve health care: let patients help. 我请求你们,请和我一起说 三个词,为了改善医疗事业, 让 病人 出份力
Let patients help. 让 病人 出份力
Let patients help. 让 病人 出份力
Let patients help. 让 病人 出份力
Thank you. 谢谢你们。
(Applause) (掌声)
For all the patients around the world watching this on the webcast , 对全世界各地 观看这个网络视频的病人们:
webcast:n.网络广播;网络直播;网路广播;
God bless you, everyone -- let patients help. 愿主保佑你们每一个人。让病人们出一份力。
Host: And bless yourself. Thank you very much. 主持人:也保佑你自己。非常感谢你。