|
|
DarriaLong_2019X-_急诊室医生教你怎么为忙疯了的生活分类_-
|
Raise your hand, and be honest, if you've used the phrase "crazy busy" |
请诚实地举起你的手, 如果你用过「忙疯了」这个词 |
to describe your day, your week, your month. |
来形容你的一天、一周或一个月。 |
describe:v.描述;形容;把…称为;画出…图形;
|
I'm an emergency-room doctor, and "crazy busy" is a phrase you will never hear me use. |
我是急诊室医生, 你从来不会听到 我用「忙疯了」这个词。 |
emergency-room:n.急诊室;
|
And after today, |
今天过后, |
I hope you'll stop using it, too. |
我希望你们也停止使用它。 |
Here's why you cannot afford to use "crazy" |
这是为什么你不能用「疯狂」 |
afford:v.给予,提供;买得起;
|
to describe your busy. |
来形容你忙碌的程度: |
Because when we are in what I refer to as Crazy Busy Mode, we are simply less capable of handling the busy. |
当我们处于「疯狂忙碌」模式时, 处理忙碌的能力会变差。 |
refer:v.参考;涉及;提到;查阅; capable:adj.能干的,能胜任的;有才华的;
|
Here's what happens. |
以下是发生的变化: |
Your stress hormones rise and stay there, your executive function in the prefrontal cortex declines . |
你的压力荷尔蒙会升高, 并且持续那个状态, 前额叶皮质的管控功能会下降。 |
hormones:n.[生理]激素;荷尔蒙;性激素;荷尔蒙制剂(hormone的复数); executive:n.管理人员; adj.经营管理的; prefrontal:adj.[解剖]前额的;额叶前部的;n.[解剖]额前骨; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮; declines:vi.下降;衰退;拒绝(decline的第三人称单数);
|
That means your memory, your judgment , your impulse control deteriorate , and the brain areas for anger and anxiety are activated . |
这代表着,你的记忆力、 判断力、自制力都会变差, 大脑里愤怒和焦虑的区域会被触动。 |
judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力; impulse:n.冲动;[电子]脉冲;刺激;神经冲动;推动力;v.推动; deteriorate:vi.恶化,变坏;vt.恶化; anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; activated:v.使活动;激活;使活化;(activate的过去式和过去分词)
|
Do you feel that? |
你们有感受到吗? |
Here's the thing. |
重点是, |
You can be as busy as an emergency department without feeling like you're crazy busy. |
你可以像急诊室人员一样忙碌, 但不会感觉自己忙疯了。 |
How? |
怎么做到? |
By using the same tactics that we use. |
透过使用和我们一样的技巧。 |
tactics:n.战术:策略:手段:兵法(tactic的复数)
|
Our brains all process stress in similar fundamental ways. |
我们的大脑都使用 相似的基本方式处理压力。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的;
|
But how we react to it has been shown by research to be modifiable , whether it's emergencies or just daily, day-in, day-out stress. |
但是,我们应对压力的方法, 研究显示是可以改变的, 不管是紧急状况还是日常的压力。 |
react:v.起反应;回应;(对食物等)有不良反应,过敏;起化学反应; modifiable:adj.可修改的;可减轻的;[语]可修饰的; emergencies:n.突发事件;紧急情况;(emergency的复数)
|
Now contrast Crazy Busy Mode with how I think of us in the ER -- Ready Mode. |
现在我们拿疯狂忙碌模式 来对照我们急诊室的「就绪模式」。 |
contrast:n.对比;对照;反差;明显的差异;v.对比;对照;形成对比;
|
Ready Mode means whatever comes in through those doors, whether it's a multiple-car pileup , or a patient having chest pain while stuck in an elevator , or another patient with an item stuck where it shouldn't be. |
就绪模式代表着, 不管是什么从急诊室的门进来—— 不管是连环车祸伤者, 困在电梯时胸口痛的病人, 还是东西卡在不该在的地方的病人, |
pileup:n.连环相撞;堆积; patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; elevator:n.电梯;升降机;升降舵;起卸机; item:n.条款,项目;一则;一件商品(或物品);adj.又,同上;
|
When you're know you're dying to ask. |
在你很想知道到底在哪的时候也是。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Even on those days when you would swear you were being punked, we're not afraid of it. |
即使某天你发誓自己被捉弄了, 我们也不会害怕。 |
Because we know that whatever comes in through those ER double doors, that we can handle it. |
因为无论什么进入急诊室双开门, 我们知道自己都可以应付, |
handle:n.[建]把手;柄;手感;口实;v.处理;操作;运用;买卖;触摸;
|
That we're ready. |
我们已经准备好了。 |
That's Ready Mode. |
这就是就绪模式。 |
We've trained for it, and you can, too. |
是我们训练出来的, 你,也可以做到。 |
Here's how. |
[疯狂模式 就绪模式] |
Step one to go from Crazy Mode to Ready Mode is to relentlessly triage . |
方法如下。 第一步是不停地分类。 |
relentlessly:adv.残酷地,无情地; triage:n.分类;伤员验伤分类;
|
In Crazy Mode, you're always busy, always stressed, because you're reacting to every challenge with the same response . |
在疯狂模式下, 你总是很忙,压力很大, 这是因为你对全部挑战 都作出一样的回应。 |
reacting:v.起反应;(对…)作出反应;回应;(react的现在分词) response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
Contrast that with Ready Mode, where we triage, which means we prioritize by degree of urgency . |
相较之下,在就绪模式中, 我们会进行分类, 意思是根据紧急程度排出优先顺序。 |
prioritize:v.按重要性排列;划分优先顺序;优先处理; urgency:n.紧急;催促;紧急的事;
|
This isn't just a nice way to get your to-do list done. |
这不只是一个完成待办清单的好方法。 |
to-do:n.要办的事;骚乱;大惊小怪;
|
Work by Dr. Robert Sapolsky shows that individuals who cannot differentiate threat from non-threat and react to everything with the same response have double the level of stress hormones. |
罗伯·萨普罗斯基博士的研究显示, 那些无法区分威胁和非威胁, 并且对所有事情作出一样反应的人, 他们的压力荷尔蒙水平高出两倍。 |
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数); differentiate:vi.区分,区别;vt.区分,区别;
|
Which is why this is the first skill to learn. |
这解释了为什么 分类是首要学习的技能。 |
You can't take care of them all at once, but you don't have to. |
你不能一次处理全部事情, 而且那是不必要的, |
Because we triage. |
因为我们可以分类。 |
Red -- immediately life-threatening . |
红色——当下有生命危险。 |
life-threatening:adj.威胁生命的;
|
Yellow -- serious, but not immediately life-threatening. |
黄色——严重, 但当下没有生命危险。 |
Green -- minor . |
绿色——轻微。 |
minor:adj.未成年的; n.未成年人; vi.副修;
|
And we focus our efforts first on the reds. |
我们首先专注处理红色事项。 |
Now hear this. |
现在,听我说。 |
Part of the problem in Crazy Mode is that you are reacting to everything as if it is red. |
疯狂模式其中一个问题是, 你会把所有事情当成红色事项看待, 并作出反应。 |
So start by triaging correctly. |
所以,首先要正确地分类。 |
triaging:n.分类;伤员验伤分类;
|
Know your reds. |
知道什么事情属于红色, |
They're what is most important and where you can most move the needle . |
那些是最重要并且改变最显着的事情。 |
needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿;
|
Now it's easy to be confused by noise, but what it noisiest is not always what is most red. |
然而,我们很容易被噪音混淆, 最吵闹的不一定是最紧急的。 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
In fact, my severe asthmatic patient is most at risk when he's quiet. |
事实上,严重哮喘病人 在安静时是最危险的。 |
severe:adj.极为恶劣的;十分严重的;严厉的;苛刻的; asthmatic:adj.气喘的;似患气喘的;n.气喘患者;
|
But my patient over here, demanding that I bring her flavored coffee creamer , she's noisy, but she's not red. |
另外一个病人要求我拿咖啡奶精给她, 她很吵,但是她并不紧急。 |
flavored:v.调味;加味于;(flavor的过去式和过去分词) creamer:n.奶油分离器;盛奶油的器皿;制作奶油的人;
|
I'll give you an example from my own life. |
给你一个我生活中的例子。 |
Last spring, my house flooded, my one-year-old was in the ER, |
去年春天,我的房子淹水了, 我一岁的小孩进了急诊室, |
I was supposed to do a fundraiser for my four-year-old's school and the final chapter of my book was beyond late. |
我还要为我四岁小孩的学校 筹办募捐活动, 我写的书最后一章已经迟交了。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) fundraiser:n.资金筹集人;资金筹集活动;
|
Maybe not ironically , that was the chapter on stress. |
讽刺的是,那一章是关于压力的。 |
ironically:adv.讽刺地;说反话地;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
My red tasks were getting my one-year-old better and finishing my book. |
我的红色任务 是让我的一岁小孩好起来, 并且完成我的书。 |
That was it. |
仅此而已。 |
Remember, relentlessly triage. |
要记得不停地分类。 |
The house flood repair ? |
修复淹水的房子? |
repair:v.修理;修补;修缮;补救;n.修理;修补;修缮;
|
Well, once we had stopped and stabilized the damage, it was no longer a red. |
一旦我们把损害停止并稳定下来时, 它不再是红色的事项。 |
stabilized:adj.稳定的;减摇的;v.稳定(stabilize的过去分词);
|
It felt red, but it was in fact just noise. |
它感觉很紧急, 但事实上只是噪音。 |
No, no really, it was quite noisy, this picture on the far right is me wearing earplugs to focus on my book, while the floor is being mechanically dried around me. |
真的非常吵。 在右边的照片里是带着耳塞的我, 正在专注于完成我的书。 同时,机器正在烘干我周围的地板。 |
earplugs:n.耳塞(用以挡噪音、防水);(earplug的复数) mechanically:adv.机械地;呆板地;物理上地;
|
Know your reds, and do not let your non-reds distract you from them. |
要知道你的红色事项, 并且不要让别的事项干扰你。 |
distract:v.转移(注意力);分散(思想);使分心;
|
By the way , it is liberating with a green task to, every once in a while , be able to remind yourself, "That's a green task. No one's going to die." |
顺带一提,绿色事项 让你感到自由自在, 偶尔可以提醒一下自己, 「这是绿色项目,没有人会死的。」 |
By the way:顺便说一下; liberating:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制);(liberate的现在分词) every once in a while:有时;偶然;偶尔;时而; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's OK if it's not perfect. |
就算它不完美也没有关系。 |
Now there's one last triage level that we use in the worst scenarios . |
最后,剩下一个在最糟情况 会使用的分类等级。 |
scenarios:n.情节;脚本;情景介绍(scenario的复数);
|
And that is black. |
那就是黑色。 |
Those patients for whom there is nothing we can do. |
那是指我们无能为力的病人。 |
patients:n.接受治疗者,病人;(patient的复数)
|
Where we must move on. |
我们必须继续向前走。 |
And although it is gut-wrenching , |
虽然这令人感到痛苦, |
gut-wrenching:adj.极度痛苦的,撕心裂肺的;
|
I mention it, because you each have your own equivalent black tasks in your life. |
我提到它是因为, 你们在生活中都有相似的黑色项目。 |
equivalent:adj.等价的,相等的;同意义的;n.等价物,相等物;
|
These are items that you must take off your list. |
这些是你必须从待办清单移除的。 |
items:n.项目;一件商品(或物品);一则,一条(新闻)(item的复数)
|
And I think many of you know what I'm talking about. |
我想你们知道我在说什么。 |
For me, this was the fundraiser. |
对我来说,这指的是募捐活动。 |
I had to step down. |
我必须放弃。 |
Because as we in the ER know, if you try to do everything, you have no hope of saving your reds. |
因为急诊室的我们都知道, 如果你尝试完成每一件事, 你就没办法拯救红色等级的病人。 |
Step two to go from Crazy Mode into Ready Mode is to expect and design for crazy. |
从疯狂模式转到就绪模式的第二步是, 预料疯狂并为它作出打算。 |
Half of handling crazy is how you prepare for it. |
处理疯狂,一半在于怎么做好准备。 |
So if step one we triage, step two, we design to make those tasks easier to do. |
在第一步,我们分类, 第二步,我们把这些项目 变得更容易完成。 |
Science shows us that the more options we have, then the longer each decision takes. |
科学研究显示,当我们有越多的选择, 作出决定的时间会越长。 |
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
|
And the more decisions we have to make, the more exhausted our brain gets and the less it is capable of making good decisions. |
当我们要作出越多决定的时候, 我们的大脑会更疲劳, 就会更难作出正确的决定。 |
exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式)
|
Which is why this step two is about finding ways to reduce your daily decisions. |
这就是为什么在第二步, 目标是寻找办法, 减少每天要做的决定。 |
Here are four easy examples you can use in your daily lifestyle. |
这里有四个简单例子, 你可以用于日常生活中。 |
Plan. |
计划。 |
Plan your entire week's meals on the weekend, so that when it's Wednesday at 6pm and everyone's hangry and requesting pizza, you have no decisions to make to get a healthy meal on the table. |
在周末时计划好下一周的饮食。 这样的话,周三下午六点的时候, 当大家又气又饿地要求披萨的时候, 你不用为了健康的一顿而作出抉择。 |
hangry:adj.饿怒,指因为饥饿而发火;
|
Automate . |
自动化。 |
Automate:v.使自动化;
|
Never leave anything to remember that you could automate, whether it's scheduling it as recurring or saved list, or recurrent purchases . |
不需要记住能够自动完成的事项。 把它安排为重复发生的事项、 列成清单,或是重复采购。 |
recurring:v.再发生;反复出现;(recur的现在分词) recurrent:adj.复发的;周期性的,经常发生的; purchases:v.[贸易]购买; n.所购物;
|
Colocate. |
集中放置同类物品。 |
When it comes to exercise, store all the equipment that you need for a certain activity together, charged and ready, so you don't spend energy looking for it. |
当运动的时候, 把你需要用到的器材放在一起, 充满电并准备好, 这样的话,你就不用花费精力去找它们。 |
And decrease temptations , for anyone driven by sugar cravings . |
还有,减少诱惑。 特别是对于有吃糖嗜好的人们。 |
decrease:v.降低;减少;缩小;减弱;n.减少;减小量;所减少的总量;减缩位置; temptations:n.诱惑物;引诱物(temptation复数); cravings:n.渴望(craving的复数);
|
Anyone? |
这里有吗? |
Say aye, go ahead. |
说一声有,来吧。 |
That itself is its own form of Crazy Mode and self-medication for Crazy Mode, but stop working your willpower . |
它自身是疯狂模式, 它也是能够改变疯狂模式的关键。 但是,不要再使用意志力。 |
self-medication:n.自我药疗,自我医疗;自行用药; willpower:n.意志力;毅力;
|
Design differently. |
要作出不一样的计划。 |
If a food is out of immediate reach, such that you have to use a stool to reach it, even when it's chocolate, study participants ate 70 percent less without thinking about it. |
如果一个食物不是随手可拿的, 例如,需要用到凳子才能构得着, 即使那是巧克力, 研究参加者少吃了 70%, 连想都没想。 |
stool:n.凳子;大便;粪便;v.长出新枝;排便 participants:n.参与者(participant的复数形式);
|
I know. |
我知道, |
Let that sit for a second. |
仔细想想它。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Design to make the choices you wish to make easier. |
计划能够把选择变得更容易。 |
Which bring us to the third step to go from Crazy Mode to Ready Mode, and that is to get out of your head. |
接下来是从疯狂模式 转成就绪模式的第三步, 它就是:专注在头脑以外的事。 |
Come with me. |
跟我来, |
Different story. |
我有另一个故事。 |
I'm working in a small, satellite ER, when a woman comes in in labor. |
我在一个附属的小急诊室工作。 当一个女人临产的时候, |
I realize that the cord is wrapped not once but twice around the baby's neck. |
我发现脐带在婴儿的脖子 围绕了不止一圈, 它围绕了两圈。 |
cord:n.(结实的)粗线,细绳;灯芯绒裤子;v.用索子捆[绑,扎];堆积(柴薪) wrapped:adj.极高兴的;十分满意的;v.用…包裹;用…缠绕;(wrap的过去分词和过去式)
|
And I'm the only doctor. |
当时我是唯一的医生。 |
I was scared. |
我很害怕。 |
But I couldn't let it derail me. |
但我不能让它阻扰我。 |
derail:v.(火车)使出轨;出轨;n.脱轨;[铁路]脱轨器;
|
Because, you see, we all get nervous. |
这是因为我们都会感到紧张, |
We all get scared, but it's what you do next that matters. |
我们都会感到害怕, 但是,更重要的是你接下来所做的。 |
That first feeling isn't the problem. |
第一个感觉并不是问题, |
It can be an important sign. |
而是重要的征兆。 |
The problem comes when we let it derail us. |
我们被它干扰的时候, 问题就会产生。 |
When that internal monologue starts and we catastrophize and we start to get that tunnel vision . |
我们会开始产生内心的独白, 我们把它灾难化,眼光变得狭隘。 |
internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的; monologue:n.独白; tunnel vision:n.视野收缩;一孔之见;井蛙之见;
|
That's how you think when you're in Crazy Mode, and you cannot solve anything that way. |
这就是在疯狂模式下的思考, 在这模式下,你无法解决任何事情。 |
Now I promise to come back to the story, but first, how do I get out of my own head? |
回到我的故事, 首先,我是怎么消除那些想法的呢? |
There are many tactics that you may hear, but for me, I find it best in the moment to actively put my focus on someone else. |
你可能听过许多技巧, 对我来说,积极专注在别人身上 是最有效的方法。 |
To deliberately make myself see the person in front of me, see myself in the arena with them -- what do they need, what do they fear and how can I help? |
故意让自己看见面前的人, 看见自己和他们在同一战场上—— 他们需要什么,他们害怕什么, 我怎么可以幫上忙? |
deliberately:adv.故意地;谨慎地;慎重地; arena:n.舞台;竞技场;
|
This may sound like a whole lot of warm and fuzzy to you, but it's not. |
对你来说,这感觉也许很模糊不清。 但其实不是的。 |
fuzzy:adj.模糊的;失真的;有绒毛的;
|
In fact, research shows that when you prime your brain with what is, essentially , compassion , we disrupt that tunnel vision and internal monologue. |
事实上,研究显示当你在脑内 优先看待同情心的话, 我们可以停止狭隘眼光和内心独白。 |
prime:adj.主要的; v.极好地; n.初期; v.使准备好; essentially:adv.本质上;本来; compassion:n.同情;怜悯; disrupt:vt.破坏;使瓦解;使分裂;使中断;使陷于混乱;adj.分裂的,中断的;分散的;
|
You widen your perception , so your brain can actually take in broader information, so you see more possibilities and can make better decisions. |
你扩张自己的感知, 你的大脑可以接收更多资讯, 你可以看见更多的可能性, 并且做出更好的抉择。 |
widen:v.(使)变宽;拓宽;(使)扩展,程度加深,范围扩大; perception:n.感知;知觉;看法;洞察力;
|
Try it. |
试试看吧。 |
Know that your internal monologue can derail you. |
要知道内心独白会干扰你。 |
And realize that when you get out of your own head, you get out of your own way. |
要意识到当你专注在头脑以外的事, 你就可以改变自己。 |
Now what happened to that baby? |
之后,那个婴儿怎么了? |
I focused not on my fear, but on the mother and the baby and what they needed me to do. |
我并没有专注于恐惧, 反而专注于母亲、婴儿和他们所需的。 |
And got the cord off of the baby's neck, and a healthy screaming, kicking baby arrived, just as the dad ran in from the parking lot , "Hi, you have a son, I'm Dr. Darria. |
我把脐带从婴儿的脖子绕开, 接着,一个健康哭闹的婴儿诞生了。 同时,他的父亲刚从停车场赶来。 「你好,是一个男孩。 我是达里亚医生。 |
parking lot:n.停车场;
|
Congratulations, you want to cut the cord?" |
恭喜,你想剪脐带吗?」 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And for a moment, the strong cries of a newborn drowned out the beeps and the sirens that are the normal sounds of the ER. |
那一瞬间, 新生婴儿强烈的哭声, 盖过了哔声,警报声等 急诊室正常的声音。 |
newborn:adj.新生的;再生的;n.婴儿; drowned:v.(使)淹死,溺死;浸透;淹没;浸泡;(drown的过去分词和过去式) beeps:n.哔哔声;v.作哔哔声(beep的第三人称单数形式); sirens:n.[铁路][船]汽笛,警报器(siren的复数); v.引诱;
|
But there was also something else. |
除此之外还有别的。 |
Because when I walked back out of that mother's room, |
因为当我走出那位母亲的病房时, |
I saw several of my other patients hovering nearby . |
我看见几位我其他的病人在附近徘徊。 |
hovering:v.翱翔;盘旋;踌躇;靠近(某事物);处于不稳定状态(hover的现在分词) nearby:adj.附近的,邻近的;adv.在附近;prep.在…附近;
|
I suddenly realized that despite their own problems that had brought them to the emergency room , they had all come together to root for this baby. |
我突然意识到, 不管是什么原因把他们带到急诊室, 他们为了给这个婴孩加油而团聚起来。 |
despite:prep.尽管,不管;n.轻视;憎恨;侮辱; emergency room:n.急诊室;
|
And they now together shared in the joy. |
现在他们一起分享喜悦。 |
Because that is what happens when you go from Crazy Mode to Ready Mode. |
这就是当你从疯狂模式 转为就绪模式后所发生的事情。 |
Others notice. |
其他人注意到了。 |
They want it too, they just don't know how, they just need one example. |
他们也想要这个能力, 但是不知道该怎么做。 他们只需要一个榜样。 |
Which could be you. |
那可以是你。 |
Own the busy. |
掌管自己的忙碌, |
But stop calling it crazy. |
但是停止称它为疯狂。 |
You've always had that ability. |
你一直都有这个能力。 |
But now ... |
但是现在, |
you're ready. |
你准备好了。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |