|
|
DanielPauly_2010Z-_海洋的变动基准线_
|
I'm going to speak about a tiny, little idea. |
我要讲的是 一个很小概念 |
And this is about shifting baseline . |
与基准线的变动有关 |
shifting:adj.不断移动的;流动的;v.转移;赶快;快速移动;变换;(shift的现在分词) baseline:n.基线;底线;
|
And because the idea can be explained in one minute, |
这个概念一分钟就能讲完了 |
I will tell you three stories before to fill in the time. |
所以我先讲三个故事 来混时间 |
And the first story is about Charles Darwin, one of my heroes. |
第一个故事 讲的是达尔文 我的偶像之一 |
And he was here, as you well know, in '35. |
他曾来过这里 大家都知道 那是1935年 |
And you'd think he was chasing finches , but he wasn't. |
你们可能以为他在追鸟雀 其实不是 |
finches:n.雀科鸣鸟;雀类;
|
He was actually collecting fish. |
他是在捕鱼 |
And he described one of them as very "common." |
他说一条鱼 很”常见“ |
described:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的过去分词和过去式)
|
This was the sailfin grouper . |
这是一种石斑鱼 |
sailfin:日本叉牙鱼; grouper:n.石斑鱼;鲶科鱼;鲈科之鱼;
|
A big fishery was run on it until the '80s. |
这种鱼被大量捕捉 直到八十年代 |
fishery:n.渔业;渔场;水产业;
|
Now the fish is on the IUCN Red List. |
现在 这种鱼已经被列入国际自然保护联盟的红色名录 |
Now this story, we have heard it lots of times on Galapagos and other places, so there is nothing particular about it. |
这个故事 我们已经听过很多遍了 在加拉帕戈斯群岛和其他地方都听过 没什么新鲜的 |
But the point is, we still come to Galapagos. |
问题在于 我们现在还会去加拉帕戈斯群岛 |
We still think it is pristine . |
还认为那是还是原生态 |
pristine:adj.原始的,古时的;纯朴的;
|
The brochures still say it is untouched . |
旅游宣传册上还说 这里未经开发 |
brochures:n.[印刷][图情]小册子(brochure的复数); untouched:adj.未受影响的;未改变的;未触动过的;不受感动的;
|
So what happens here? |
这里究竟是什么情况 |
The second story, also to illustrate another concept, is called shifting waistline . |
第二个故事 讲的是另一个概念 叫做变动的 腰准线 |
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实; waistline:n.腰围;腰身部分;
|
(Laughter) |
(众人笑) |
Because I was there in '71, studying a lagoon in West Africa. |
1971年的时候 我在那里 考察西非的一片西湖 |
lagoon:n.[地理][水文]泻湖;环礁湖;咸水湖;
|
I was there because I grew up in Europe and I wanted later to work in Africa. |
我去那里是因为我在欧洲长大 我想以后到非洲工作 |
And I thought I could blend in. |
我以为我可以融入当地社会 |
blend:v.混合;融合;加入;相称;n.混合;混合物;混合种;混合色;
|
And I got a big sunburn , and I was convinced that I was really not from there. |
我还被晒伤了一大块 结果我发现我的确不是非洲来的 |
sunburn:n.晒黑;[皮肤]晒斑;vi.晒伤皮肤;晒红皮肤;晒黑皮肤;vt.晒伤;晒黑;晒红; convinced:adj.坚信; v.使确信; (convince的过去分词和过去式)
|
This was my first sunburn. |
那是我第一次被晒伤 |
And the lagoon was surrounded by palm trees, as you can see , and a few mangrove . |
这片泻湖 被棕榈树环绕 你们可以看到一些红树 |
palm:n.手掌;手心;棕榈树;v.把…藏在手中(尤指玩戏法); as you can see:正如你所看到的;你是知道的; mangrove:n.红树林;
|
And it had tilapia about 20 centimeters , a species of tilapia called blackchin tilapia. |
这里有罗非鱼 大概20厘米长 这种罗非鱼叫黑颚罗非鱼 |
tilapia:n.罗非鱼; centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数); species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
And the fisheries for this tilapia sustained lots of fish and they had a good time and they earned more than average in Ghana. |
人们捕捞罗非鱼 这让许多鱼存活了下来 它们活得很好 渔业的收入在加纳 高出平均水平 |
fisheries:n.渔业;渔场(fishery的复数);捕鱼术;渔业公司; sustained:adj.持续的; v.维持; (sustain的过去分词和过去式)
|
When I went there 27 years later, the fish had shrunk to half of their size. |
二十七年之后 我回到那里 这种鱼的大小缩减了一半 |
shrunk:v.收缩(shrink的过去分词);
|
They were maturing at five centimeters. |
它们成年时只有五厘米长 |
maturing:n.老化;成熟酌;(陶瓷的)烧成;v.成熟(mature的ing形式);到期;
|
They had been pushed genetically . |
它们的发育在遗传上被改变了 |
genetically:adv.从遗传学角度;从基因方面;
|
There were still fishes. |
那里还有鱼 |
They were still kind of happy. |
它们还是活得不错 |
And the fish also were happy to be there. |
鱼儿们也很喜欢生活在那里 |
So nothing has changed, but everything has changed. |
似乎没什么变化 但其实 一切都改变了 |
My third little story is that I was an accomplice in the introduction of trawling in Southeast Asia. |
第三个故事讲的是 将拖网捕捞 引入非洲东南部的 有我一份 |
accomplice:n.同谋者,[法]共犯; trawling:n.拖网作业;v.用拖网捕鱼;搜罗(trawl的ing形式); Southeast:adj.东南的;来自东南的;n.东南;东南地区;adv.来自东南;
|
In the '70s -- well, beginning in the '60s -- |
在七十年代--其实是六十年代初期-- |
Europe did lots of development projects. |
欧洲进行了许多发展项目 |
Fish development meant imposing on countries that had already 100,000 fishers to impose on them industrial fishing. |
渔业发展 意味着强迫 渔民人数在达十万人的国家 进行工业捕鱼 |
imposing:adj.壮观的; v.推行,采用; (impose的现在分词) fishers:渔夫;渔船;食鱼貂(fisher的复数形式); impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于; industrial:adj.工业的,产业的; n.工业股票;
|
And this boat, quite ugly , is called the Mutiara 4. |
这艘船 挺难看的 叫Mutiara 4号 |
ugly:adj.丑陋的;邪恶的;令人厌恶的;
|
And I went sailing on it, and we did surveys throughout the southern South China sea and especially the Java Sea. |
我乘上这艘船 我们一路做调查 沿着中国南海 尤其是爪哇海 |
surveys:n.调查(survey的复数); throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
And what we caught, we didn't have words for it. |
我们捕捞到了 我们叫不出名字的东西 |
have words:争吵;
|
What we caught, I know now, is the bottom of the sea. |
现在我知道了 我们捞到的 是海底的生物 |
And 90 percent of our catch were sponges , other animals that are fixed on the bottom. |
百分之九十 是海绵 以及其他固定在海底的动物 |
sponges:n.[无脊椎]海绵(sponge的复数形式); v.用海绵擦拭,吸收掉,抹掉(sponge的第三人称单数形式);
|
And actually most of the fish, they are a little spot on the debris , the piles of debris , were coral reef fish. |
实际上 大多数鱼 就是那堆杂物中的小点 它们是生活在珊瑚礁中的鱼 |
debris:n.碎片,残骸; piles:n.痔疮;痔; coral:n.珊瑚;珊瑚虫;adj.珊瑚的;珊瑚色的; reef:礁,礁脉
|
Essentially the bottom of the sea came onto the deck and then was thrown down. |
海底被端上了甲板 后来又被扔下去 |
Essentially:adv.本质上;本来; deck:n.甲板;舱面;层面;一副(为52张);v.装饰;打扮;布置;用力击倒;
|
And these pictures are extraordinary because this transition is very rapid. |
这些照片意义非凡 因为这个变化过程非常快 |
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的; transition:n.过渡;转变;变革;变迁;v.经历转变过程;过渡;
|
Within a year, you do a survey and then commercial fishing begins. |
不到一年 你再进行调查 接着渔业又开始了 |
commercial:adj.贸易的;商业的;赢利的;以获利为目的的;n.(电台或电视播放的)广告;
|
The bottom is transformed from, in this case, a hard bottom or soft coral into a muddy mess . |
海底发生了变化 坚硬的海底或柔软的珊瑚 变成了一滩泥泞 |
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式) muddy:adj.泥泞的; vt.使污浊; vi.变得泥泞; mess:n.混乱;餐厅;杂乱;肮脏;v.使不整洁;弄脏;弄乱;随地便溺;
|
This is a dead turtle . |
这是一只死了的海龟 |
turtle:海龟,乌龟
|
They were not eaten, they were thrown away because they were dead. |
它们没有被吃掉 而是因为死了而被扔掉的 |
And one time we caught a live one. |
有一次 我们捉到一只活的 |
It was not drowned yet. |
它还没有淹死 |
drowned:v.(使)淹死,溺死;浸透;淹没;浸泡;(drown的过去分词和过去式)
|
And then they wanted to kill it because it was good to eat. |
他们想杀掉它 因为海龟肉很美味 |
This mountain of debris is actually collected by fishers every time they go into an area that's never been fished. |
这堆积如山的杂物 是渔民们捞上来的 他们每次进入未经捕捞的海域 都能捞到这些东西 |
But it's not documented. |
而这并没有被记录在案 |
We transform the world, but we don't remember it. |
我们改变了世界 但却不认账 |
We adjust our baseline to the new level, and we don't recall what was there. |
我们把基准线 调整到一个新水平 而把之前的水平抛在脑后 |
adjust:v.调整;调节;适应;习惯; recall:v.记起;回想起;使想到;勾起;召回;n.记忆力;记性;回归请求;回收令;
|
If you generalize this, something like this happens. |
归纳一下 就会出现这样的情况 |
generalize:vt.概括;推广;使...一般化;vi.形成概念;
|
You have on the y axis some good thing: biodiversity , numbers of orca , the greenness of your country, the water supply . |
Y轴代表美好的事物 生物多样性 逆戟鲸的数量 你的国家的绿化 水资源供应 |
axis:n.轴;轴线;轴心国; biodiversity:n.生物多样性; orca:n.逆戟鲸(等于Orcinusorca);类逆戟鲸;兽人;魔鬼; greenness:n.绿色;未熟;新鲜; water supply:供水;
|
And over time it changes -- it changes because people do things, or naturally . |
随着时间的变化而变化 之所以变化 是因为人们的活动或自然的变化 |
naturally:adv.自然地;自然而然地;轻而易举;天生地;大方地;
|
Every generation will use the images that they got at the beginning of their conscious lives as a standard and will extrapolate forward. |
每代人 都会 以他们有意识之初的画面 作为标准 并往前推测 |
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) at the beginning of:在…的开始; conscious:adj.意识到的;故意的;神志清醒的; standard:n.标准;水准;旗;度量衡标准;adj.标准的;合规格的;公认为优秀的; extrapolate:vt.外推;推断;vi.外推;进行推断;
|
And the difference then, they perceive as a loss. |
所产生的差距 他们视为一种损失 |
perceive:v.注意到;意识到;将…理解为;认为;
|
But they don't perceive what happened before as a loss. |
但他们没有把之前发生的事情视为一种损失 |
You can have a succession of changes. |
一系列变化发生了 |
succession:n.连续;继位;继承权;[生态]演替;
|
At the end you want to sustain miserable leftovers . |
最后你希望 保住最后可怜的幸存者 |
miserable:adj.悲惨的;痛苦的;卑鄙的; leftovers:n.吃剩的食物;遗留物;(leftover的复数)
|
And that, to a large extent , is what we want to do now. |
而这在很大程度上 就是我们现在要做的 |
extent:n.程度;范围;长度;
|
We want to sustain things that are gone or things that are not the way they were. |
我们想要保护那些消失殆尽的东西 或者那些发生了变化的东西 |
Now one should think this problem affected people certainly when in predatory societies, they killed animals and they didn't know they had done so after a few generations. |
现在人们应当认为 在一个弱肉强食的社会中 这个问题当然会对人产生影响 他们捕杀动物 而直到几代人之后 才意识到他们的所作所为 |
predatory:adj.掠夺的,掠夺成性的;食肉的;捕食生物的;
|
Because, obviously, an animal that is very abundant , before it gets extinct , it becomes rare. |
因为 很显然 在一种动物灭绝 或濒临灭绝前 这种动物的数量还是很多的 |
abundant:adj.丰富的;充裕的;盛产; extinct:adj.灭绝的,绝种的;熄灭的;vt.使熄灭;
|
So you don't lose abundant animals. |
所以你不会失去数量多的动物物种 |
You always lose rare animals. |
你失去的是珍稀动物 |
And therefore they're not perceived as a big loss. |
所以这些动物的消失 不会被视为重大损失 |
perceived:v.注意到;意识到;将…视为;认为;(perceive的过去式和过去分词)
|
Over time, we concentrate on large animals, and in a sea that means the big fish. |
随着时间推移 我们关注大型动物 在海洋中 这指的是大型鱼类 |
concentrate on:集中精力于;全神贯注于;
|
They become rarer because we fish them. |
我们捕捞鱼类致使它们的数量越来越少 |
Over time we have a few fish left and we think this is the baseline. |
一段时间时候 我们只剩下少数鱼了 我们就把这个数量看做基准线 |
And the question is, why do people accept this? |
问题是 人们为什么对此安之若素呢 |
Well because they don't know that it was different. |
这是因为他们不知道情况变化了 |
And in fact, lots of people, scientists, will contest that it was really different. |
事实上 许多人 尤其是科学家 反对这种意见 |
And they will contest this because the evidence presented in an earlier mode is not in the way they would like the evidence presented. |
他们反对 是因为 早前的分析模型中所呈现的证据方式 并不是 他们想要的呈现方式 |
evidence:n.证据,证明;迹象;明显;v.证明; in the way:妨碍;挡道;
|
For example, the anecdote that some present, as Captain so-and-so observed lots of fish in this area cannot be used or is usually not utilized by fishery scientists, because it's not " scientific ." |
举个例子 有人讲了一个故事 说某某船长 发现这个地区有很多鱼 这个故事不能拿来当证据 渔业科学家通常也不会采纳这个故事 因为它不够“科学” |
anecdote:n.轶事;奇闻;秘史; so-and-so:某某;如此这般;谁谁;如此如此沙咸沙; observed:adj.观察的;观测的;v.观察;遵守;注意到(observe的过去分词形式); utilized:adj.被利用的;v.利用(utilize的过去分词); scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
|
So you have a situation where people don't know the past, even though we live in literate societies, because they don't trust the sources of the past. |
这就造成了一个情况: 人们对过去一无所知 尽管 我们生活在文明社会中 因为他们不相信 关于过去的信息来源 |
literate:adj.受过教育的;精通文学的;n.学者; sources:n.来源;出处;起源;根源;原因;v.(从…)获得(source的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And hence , the enormous role that a marine protected area can play. |
他们也不了解 一个海洋保护区域的重大角色 |
hence:adv.因此;今后; enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的; marine:adj.海的;海产的;海生的;海船的;n.(尤指美国或英国皇家)海军陆战队士兵;
|
Because with marine protected areas, we actually recreate the past. |
因为 我们实际上是通过海洋保护区 来重塑过去 |
recreate:vt.再现;再创造
|
We recreate the past that people cannot conceive because the baseline has shifted and is extremely low. |
我们重塑了过去 让人们无法设想过去的情况 因为基准线变动了 变得极低 |
conceive:v.想出;想象;构想;设想;怀孕; shifted:转移;移动(shift的过去式和过去分词); extremely:adv.非常,极其;极端地;
|
That is for people who can see a marine protected area and who can benefit from the insight that it provides, which enables them to reset their baseline. |
这适用于 那些看到一片海洋保护区的人 和那些 从其中的深层意义获益的人 这让他们有能力重置他们的基准线 |
insight:n.洞察力;洞悉; enables:v.使得; (enable的第三人称单数) reset:vi.重置;清零;重新组合;n.重新设定;重新组合;重排版;
|
How about the people who can't do that because they have no access -- the people in the Midwest for example? |
那么那些没有能力这么做的人呢 他们没法知道 例如中西部地区的人们 |
Midwest:n.美国的中西部;
|
There I think that the arts and film can perhaps fill the gap , and simulation . |
我想 艺术作品和电影 可以填补这个空缺 还有原态模拟 |
gap:n.差距;间隙;缺口;间隔;v.使豁裂;豁开; simulation:n.仿真;模拟;模仿;假装;
|
This is a simulation of Chesapeake Bay. |
这是切萨皮克湾的原态模拟 |
There were gray whales in Chesapeake Bay a long time ago -- 500 years ago. |
很久以前 有灰鲸生活在切萨皮克湾 那是五百年前 |
And you will have noticed that the hues and tones are like " Avatar ." |
你会注意到上面的色调 酷似“阿凡达” |
hues:n.[光]色调(hue复数); tones:n.声调;基本音色(tone的复数);v.调节音调(tone的第三人称单数); Avatar:n.电影《阿凡达》;
|
(Laughter) |
(众人笑) |
And if you think about "Avatar," |
一想到“阿凡达” |
if you think of why people were so touched by it -- never mind the Pocahontas story -- why so touched by the imagery ? |
一想到人们为何会为之动容 风中奇缘的故事就不说了 为何人们会被里面的画面所打动 |
never mind:没关系; Pocahontas:n.风中奇缘(电影名称); imagery:n.像;意象;比喻;形象化;
|
Because it evokes something that in a sense has been lost. |
这是因为它激发了 我们遗失了的某样东西 |
evokes:vt.引起,唤起;博得; in a sense:在某种意义上;
|
And so my recommendation , it's the only one I will provide, is for Cameron to do "Avatar II" underwater . |
我建议 这也是我唯一的建议 希望卡梅隆的“阿凡达2”能在水下拍摄 |
recommendation:n.推荐;介绍;提议;正式建议; underwater:adj.在水中的;水面下的;adv.在水下;n.水下;
|
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢大家 |
(Applause) |
(鼓掌) |