返回首页

DanielKish_2015-_声呐如何帮助我在世界前行_

(Clicking) (滴答声)
I was born with bilateral retinoblastoma , retinal cancer . 我出生时双眼都有眼癌, 视网膜细胞瘤。
bilateral:adj.双边的;有两边的; retinoblastoma:n.[肿瘤]成视网膜细胞瘤;眼癌(有遗传性); retinal:adj.视网膜的;n.[生化]视黄醛(等于retinene); cancer:n.癌症;恶性肿瘤;
My right eye was removed at seven months of age. 我右眼在 我7个月大时移除。
I was 13 months when they removed my left eye. 13个月大时,左眼移除。
The first thing I did upon awakening from that last surgery was to climb out of my crib and begin wandering around the intensive care nursery , probably looking for the one who did this to me. 我从手术中醒来做的第一件事 就是爬出我的婴儿床, 开始在加强监护婴儿室东跑西跑, 可能在寻找那个把我弄成这样的人。
awakening:n.醒悟; v.(使)醒来; adj.唤醒的; surgery:n.外科;外科手术;手术室;诊疗室; crib:n.饲料槽;圣诞马槽;夹带;住所;v.抄袭,剽窃 intensive care:n.(医院里的)特别护理病房;重症监护; nursery:n.苗圃;托儿所;温床;
(Laughter) (笑声)
Evidently , wandering around the nursery was not a problem for me without eyes. 显然,在婴儿室东跑西跑 对于没有双眼的我来说并不是难题。
Evidently:adv.显然,明显地;清楚地;
The problem was getting caught. 难题是不被抓住。
It's impressions about blindness that are far more threatening to blind people than the blindness itself. 对于失明的印象 远比失明本身 让盲人更恐惧。
impressions:n.印象;观感;(impression的复数)
Think for a moment about your own impressions of blindness. 想想自己对于失明的印象。
Think about your reactions when I first came onto the stage, or the prospect of your own blindness, or a loved one going blind. 当我刚上台时,想想你们的反应, 或者想想你自己失明, 或者爱的人将失明的景象。
reactions:n.反应;回应;抗拒;生理反应;副作用(reaction的复数) prospect:n.展望;前景;希望;前途;v.勘探;探矿;
The terror is incomprehensible to most of us, because blindness is thought to epitomize ignorance and unawareness , hapless exposure to the ravages of the dark unknown. 对于我们大多数人来说,这都是难以想象的恐怖, 因为失明 被认为是无知无觉的缩影, 不幸地暴露在未知黑暗的残迹之中。
incomprehensible:adj.费解的;不可思议的;无限的; epitomize:vt.摘要;概括;成为…的缩影; ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂; unawareness:n.没认识到;未觉察到; hapless:adj.运气不好的,倒霉的; exposure:n.暴露;显露;揭露;面临; ravages:n.毁坏后的残迹; v.破坏(ravage的第三人称单数形式);
How poetic . 多么富有诗意。
poetic:adj.诗的,诗歌的;诗意的;诗人的;n.诗学,诗论;
Fortunately for me, my parents were not poetic. 幸运的是,我的父母没有诗意。
Fortunately:adv.幸运地;
They were pragmatic . 他们很实际。
pragmatic:adj.实际的;实用主义的;国事的;
They understood that ignorance and fear were but matters of the mind, and the mind is adaptable . 他们明白:无知和恐惧仅仅是大脑精神层面的问题, 并且这种想法是可以改变的。
adaptable:adj.适合的;能适应的;可修改的;
They believed that I should grow up to enjoy the same freedoms and responsibilities as everyone else. 他们相信我会长大 享受和其他人一样的自由与责任。
In their own words, I would move out -- which I did when I was 18 -- 用他们的话说,我会独立居住, 我18岁时做到了,
I will pay taxes -- thanks -- (Laughter) -- and they knew the difference between love and fear. 我将交税。 谢谢(笑声) 他们知道爱和恐惧的区别。
Fear immobilizes us in the face of challenge. 面对挑战的时候,恐惧惊住了我们。
immobilizes:vt.使固定;使不动;使停止流通; in the face of:面对;
They knew that blindness would pose a significant challenge. 他们知道失明是个巨大的挑战。
pose:v.引起; n.装腔作势; (为画像、拍照等摆的)姿势; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
I was not raised with fear. 我并不是在恐惧中成长。
They put my freedom first before all else, because that is what love does. 他们把我的自由看得比其他东西都重要, 因为那就是爱。
Now, moving forward, how do I manage today? 继续讲,如今我是怎么生存的?
The world is a much larger nursery. 世界是个大得多的育儿室。
Fortunately, I have my trusty long cane, longer than the canes used by most blind people. 幸运的是我有一支值得信赖的长手杖, 比其他盲人的手杖更长。
trusty:adj.可靠的;可信任的;n.模范囚犯;可信赖的人; canes:n.手杖;藤条(cane的复数);魔杖;v.用藤条编制;以杖击(cane的三单形式);
I call it my freedom staff. 我称它为我的自由帮手。
It will keep me, for example, from making an undignified departure from the stage. (Laughter) 例如,它能阻止我 不优雅的离开讲台。(笑声)
undignified:adj.不庄重的;无威严的; departure:n.离开;出发;违背;
I do see that cliff edge. 我确实看到峭边。
cliff:n.悬崖;绝壁;
They warned us earlier that every imaginable mishap has occurred to speakers up here on the stage . 他们之前提醒我: 演讲者在台上遇到过各种意外。
imaginable:adj.可能的;可想像的; mishap:n.灾祸;不幸事故;晦气; occurred:v.发生;出现;存在于;出现在;(occur的过去分词和过去式) on the stage:在舞台上;现阶段;当演员;
I don't care to set a new precedent . 我不介意造一个新的意外。
precedent:n.先例;前例;adj.在前的;在先的;
But beyond that, many of you may have heard me clicking as I came onto the stage -- 但是除此之外, 大家在我来到讲台的时候,听到我发出滴答声,
(Clicking) -- with my tongue. (滴答声) 用舌头发的声音。
Those are flashes of sound that go out and reflect from surfaces all around me, just like a bat's sonar , and return to me with patterns, with pieces of information, much as light does for you. 那些都是声音的反射, 从所有我身边事物的表面反射回来, 就像一个蝙蝠的声呐, 反馈给我一些信息, 就像光反馈给你们信息一样。
flashes:n.闪光灯;光芒;披峰;v.闪光;反射;(flash的第三人称单数和复数) reflect:v.反映;映出(影像);反射;表明,表达; sonar:n.声纳;声波定位仪(等于asdic);
And my brain, thanks to my parents, has been activated to form images in my visual cortex , which we now call the imaging system, from those patterns of information, much as your brain does. 感谢我的父母,我的大脑 能够在我的视觉皮质中筑构影像, 这就是我们所谓的成像系统, 借助信息的结构形成图像,就像你们的大脑。
activated:v.使活动;激活;使活化;(activate的过去式和过去分词) images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数) visual:adj.视觉的,视力的;栩栩如生的; cortex:n.[解剖]皮质;树皮;果皮; imaging:n.[物]成像;造像;v.反映;想像;作…的像;象征;(image的现在分词形式)
I call this process flash sonar. 我称这个过程为“闪光声呐”。
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的;
It is how I have learned to see through my blindness, to navigate my journey through the dark unknowns of my own challenges, which has earned me the moniker "the remarkable Batman ." 我就是这样学会在失明中去看见东西, 为我导航, 穿过挑战性的未知黑暗, 我也因此得了一个绰号 “神奇蝙蝠侠”。
see through:adj.透明的;穿透的; navigate:vt.驾驶,操纵;使通过;航行于;vi.航行,航空; journey:n.旅行;行程;vi.旅行; moniker:n.绰号;名字; remarkable:adj.卓越的;非凡的;值得注意的; Batman:n.勤务兵;传令兵;蝙蝠侠;
Now, Batman I will accept. 我接受蝙蝠侠这个称号。
Bats are cool. Batman is cool. 蝙蝠很有型,蝙蝠侠很酷。
But I was not raised to think of myself as in any way remarkable. 但是我的成长教育并让我不觉得自己任何一方面有什么奇特的。
I have always regarded myself much like anyone else who navigates the dark unknowns of their own challenges. 我总是把自己看得和普通人一样, 他们也是在挑战性的未知黑暗中自我摸索。
navigates:导航;找到正确的行进方向;航行;绕过;
Is that so remarkable? 这有很奇特吗?
I do not use my eyes, I use my brain. 我不用双眼,我用的是大脑。
Now, someone, somewhere, must think that's remarkable, or I wouldn't be up here, but let's consider this for a moment. 此时某地的某人, 一定在想那的确很奇特,否则我不会在这里, 但是我们思考一下,
Everyone out there who faces or who has ever faced a challenge, raise your hands. 在场的所有人, 正面对、或曾经面对过挑战的, 举起你们的手。
Whoosh . Okay. 呼--。好的。
Whoosh:vi.飞快地移动; n.嘶嘶声;
Lots of hands going up, a moment, let me do a head count. 好多手,等一下,我数一下。
(Clicking) (滴答声)
This will take a while. (Clicking) (Laughter) 这需要一会儿。(滴答声)(笑声)
Okay, lots of hands in the air. 好,空中好多手。
Keep them up. I have an idea. 一直举着。我有个主意。
Those of you who use your brains to navigate these challenges, put your hands down . 你们用大脑去克服挑战的人 放下你们的手。
hands down:adj.无疑的;唾手可得的;
Okay, anyone with your hands still up has challenges of your own. (Laughter) 好的,仍然举着手的人 要挑战的是你自己。(笑声)
So we all face challenges, and we all face the dark unknown, which is endemic to most challenges, which is what most of us fear, okay? 我们都面对挑战, 我们都面对未知的黑暗, 大部分挑战都是这样,这也是我们的畏惧之处,对吗?
endemic:adj.地方性的;风土的;n.地方病;
But we all have brains that allow us, that activate to allow us to navigate the journey through these challenges. Okay? 但是我们都有大脑 大脑让我们能够 在挑战中摸索前进。
Case in point: I came up here and -- (Clicking) -- they wouldn't tell me where the lectern was. 很好的例子:我来到这里 (滴答声)他们不会告诉我, 讲台在哪里。
lectern:n.讲台;诵经台;
So you can't trust those TED folks. 不能相信TED的工作人员。
'"Find it yourself," they said. “自己找,”他们说。
So -- (Laughter) 所以--(笑声)
And the feedback for the P.A. system is no help at all. 而且广播系统的反馈也无济于事。
feedback:n.反馈;反馈意见;回授;[电子]反馈;
So now I present to you a challenge. 我要向你们展现一个挑战。
So if you'd all close your eyes for just a moment, okay? 你们都闭上眼睛一会儿, 好吗?
And you're going to learn a bit of flash sonar. 你们也将学会一点闪光声呐。
I'm going to make a sound. 我会发出声响。
I'm going to hold this panel in front of me, but I'm not going to move it. 我会我面前举着这块平板,我不会移动这块板。
panel:n.镶板;仪表盘;钣金;(衣服上的)镶条;v.镶板(用木或玻璃板等镶嵌或装饰);
Just listen to the sound for a moment. 听一会儿。
Shhhhhhhhhh.
Okay, nothing very interesting. 好吧,没什么特别。
Now, listen to what happens to that same exact sound when I move the panel. 现在听一听我移动平板 发出的一样的声响。
Shhhhhhhhhhh. (Pitch getting higher and lower) “嘘------------”(音调时高时低)
You do not know the power of the dark side. 你们不了解黑暗的能量。
(Laughter) (笑声)
I couldn't resist . 我情不自已。
resist:v.抵制;阻挡;反抗;回击;抵抗;忍住;n.防染剂;防蚀用涂料;防腐剂;
Okay, now keep your eyes closed because, did you hear the difference? 好吧,继续闭着眼, 你们听到差别了吗?
Okay. Now, let's be sure. 好吧,让我们确认一下。
For your challenge, you tell me, just say "now" when you hear the panel start to move. 你们的挑战是: 我开始移动平板的时候,你们就要告诉我“现在”。
Okay? We'll relax into this. 好吗?放松。
relax:v.放松,休息;松懈,松弛;变从容;休养;
Shhhhhhh. “嘘-----”
Audience: Now. Daniel Kish : Good. Excellent. 观众:现在。丹尼尔·基什: 很棒。
Kish:n.结集石墨;石墨分离;[冶]漂浮石墨;[冶]凝壳;
Open your eyes. 睁开眼睛。
All right. So just a few centimeters , you would notice the difference. 就移动了几厘米, 你们就注意到这种变化。
centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数);
You've experienced sonar. 你们已经感受到声呐了。
You'd all make great blind people. (Laughter) 你们都是了不起的瞎子。(笑声)
Let's have a look at what can happen when this activation process is given some time and attention. 让我们看看 要是这个声呐激活过程 得到更多的时间和关注。
have a look at:看一看,看一眼; activation:n.[电子][物]激活;活化作用;
(Video) Juan Ruiz: It's like you guys can see with your eyes and we can see with our ears. (视频)Juan Ruiz: 就像你们可以用眼睛去看一样, 我们可以用耳朵去看。
Brian Bushway: It's not a matter of enjoying it more or less , it's about enjoying it differently. 男:关键不是欣赏多与少。 而是从不同角度去欣赏。
more or less:或多或少;
Shawn Marsolais: It goes across. DK: Yeah. 女:穿过了。DK:对。
SM: And then it's gradually coming back down again. 女:再逐渐往下。
gradually:adv.渐渐地;逐步地;
DK: Yes! SM: That's amazing. DK: 对!女:太奇妙了。
I can, like, see the car. Holy mother! 我能看到汽车。圣母马利亚!
J. Louchart: I love being blind. 男2:我喜欢变瞎子。
If I had the opportunity, honestly, I wouldn't go back to being sighted. 真诚的说,如果有机会,我不打算重见光明了。
JR: The bigger the goal, the more obstacles you'll face, and on the other side of that goal is victory. 男3:目标越大,你面对的障碍越多, 在目标的另一边 就是胜利。
obstacles:n.障碍;障碍物;阻碍;(obstacle的复数形式) on the other side:另一面;在另一边;
[In Italian] (意大利语)
(Applause) (掌声)
DK: Now, do these people look terrified? 基什: 这些人看上去很恐惧吗?
Not so much. 没那么恐惧。
We have delivered activation training to tens of thousands of blind and sighted people from all backgrounds in nearly 40 countries. 我们已经传授激活训练, 给成千上万的盲人,以及各行各业的正常人, 遍及40个国家。
When blind people learn to see, sighted people seem inspired to want to learn to see their way better, more clearly, with less fear, because this exemplifies the immense capacity within us all 当盲人学会看见, 可视的人似乎受到了启发, 他们想要学会更好更清晰、不畏惧地看清他们的路, 这证明了我们潜在的巨大能力,
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式) exemplifies:v.是…的典型(或典范、榜样); (exemplify的第三人称单数) immense:adj.巨大的,广大的;无边无际的;非常好的; capacity:n.能力;容量;资格,地位;生产力;
to navigate any type of challenge, through any form of darkness, to discoveries unimagined when we are activated. 我们可以在任何黑暗和挑战中前行, 发现无法想象的东西, 只要我们被激活。
unimagined:adj.没有想到过的;无法想象的;没有设想过的;
I wish you all a most activating journey. 我祝愿你们拥有一个激励的旅途。
activating:v.使活动(activate的ing形式);
Thank you very much. 非常感谢。
(Applause) (掌声)
Chris Anderson: Daniel, my friend. 安德森: 丹尼尔,我的朋友。
As I know you can see, it's a spectacular standing ovation at TED. 我知道你看得到:Ted观众的喝彩声壮观持久。
spectacular:adj.壮观的;壮丽的;令人惊叹的;n.壮观的场面;精彩的表演; ovation:n.热烈欢迎;大喝采;
Thank you for an extraordinary talk. 谢谢你的出众演讲。
extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
Just one more question about your world, your inner world that you construct . 关于你的世界、你所建立的内心世界,我还想问一个问题。
inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; construct:v.建造;创建;建筑;修建;n.概念;构筑物;结构体;建造物;
We think that we have things in our world that you as a blind person don't have, but what's your world like? 我们认为在我们的世界中我们拥有盲人没有的事物, 但是你的世界是怎样的?
What do you have that we don't have? 你有我们没有的东西吗?
DK: Three hundred and sixty-degree view, so my sonar works about as well behind me as it does in front of me. 基什:360度视角, 也就是说,我的声呐在身后和身前都看得见。
It works around corners. 在拐角处也可以管用。
It works through surfaces. 也可以穿过物体表面。
Generally , it's kind of a fuzzy three-dimensional geometry . 一般而言,这是模糊的三维几何世界。
Generally:adv.通常;普遍地,一般地; fuzzy:adj.模糊的;失真的;有绒毛的; three-dimensional:adj.三维的;立体的;真实的; geometry:n.几何学;几何结构;
One of my students, who has now become an instructor , when he lost his vision , after a few months he was sitting in his three story house and he realized that he could hear everything going on throughout the house: 我有过一名学生,现在已经成为教员了, 在他失明后的几个月, 他正坐在三层楼高的家里, 发觉自己能听到屋子里正在进行的一切:
instructor:n.指导书;教员;指导者; vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及;
conversations, people in the kitchen, people in the bathroom, several floors away, several walls away. 厨房里、浴室里人们的谈话 几层之外,几墙之隔的声音。
He said it was something like having x-ray vision. 他说就像拥有X射线一样的视力。
CA: What do you picture that you're in right now? 安德森:你会怎样描绘现在身处的地方?
How do you picture this theater? 你怎样描绘这个现场?
DK: Lots of loudspeakers , quite frankly. 基什:坦白说,很多大声说话的人。
loudspeakers:扬声器;扩音器;
It's interesting. When people make a sound, when they laugh, when they fidget , when they take a drink or blow their nose or whatever, I hear everything. 当人们发声的时候,很有趣。 当他们笑,当他们坐立不安,当他们喝水,或者擤鼻子, 不管是什么,我都能听到。
fidget:vi.烦躁;坐立不安;玩弄;n.烦躁;坐立不安;烦躁不安的人;vt.使不安;使烦乱;
I hear every little movement that every single person makes. 我听到人们的细微动作。
None of it really escapes my attention, and then, from a sonar perspective , the size of the room, the curvature of the audience around the stage, it's the height of the room. 从声呐的视角, 它们都在我的注意力之内, 房间的大小,观众绕讲台的曲率, 房间的高度。
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的; curvature:n.弯曲,[数]曲率;
Like I say, it's all that kind of three-dimensional surface geometry all around me. 就像我说的,
CA: Well, Daniel, you have done a spectacular job of helping us all see the world in a different way. 安德森:丹尼尔, 你的演讲很棒, 帮助我们用不同的方式看世界。
Thanks so much for that, truly. DK: Thank you. 真诚的谢谢你。基什:谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)