|
|
DanPacholke_2014X-_监狱能如何帮助犯人过有意义的生活_
|
We're seen as the organization that is the bucket for failed social policy . |
我们被看作为那种失败的社会政策善后的机构。 |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; bucket:n.大桶状物; v.拼命划桨; policy:n.政策,方针;保险单;
|
I can't define who comes to us or how long they stay. |
我不能规定谁来我们这里或者他们停留多久。 |
define:v.定义;使明确;规定;
|
We get the people for whom nothing else has worked, people who have fallen through all of the other social safety nets. |
我们接收那些任何方式对他们来说都不管用的人, 那些其他社会安全保障体系的 漏网之鱼。 |
They can't contain them, so we must. |
社会不能容纳他们,所以我们必须这样做。 |
That's our job: contain them, control them. |
那就是我们的工作: 容纳他们,控制他们。 |
Over the years, as a prison system, as a nation, and as a society, we've become very good at that, but that shouldn't make you happy. |
多年以来,作为一个监狱系统, 作为一个国家,以及作为一个社会, 我们已经变得非常善于做那件事, 但是那不应该使你高兴。 |
Today we incarcerate more people per capita than any other country in the world. |
现在我们监狱人口占人口比例 比世界上任何一个国家都要高 |
incarcerate:v.监禁;下狱;禁闭;adj.监禁的;禁闭的; per capita:adj.每人的;人均的;
|
We have more black men in prison today than were under slavery in 1850. |
我们今日在监狱里的黑人 比1850年奴隶制实行的时候还要多 |
slavery:n.奴隶制;奴隶身份;蓄奴;adj.流口水的;被口水弄脏的;
|
We house the parents of almost three million of our community 's children, and we've become the new asylum , the largest mental health provider in this nation. |
我们监禁接近三百万 社区儿童的父母 我们已经成为新型的收容所, 全国最大的精神健康服务提供者。 |
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; asylum:n.庇护;收容所,救济院; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; provider:n.供应者;养家者;
|
When we lock someone up, that is no small thing. |
当我们拘禁某一个人, 那不是一件小事情。 |
And yet, we are called the Department of Corrections. |
可是,我们被称为惩教署。 |
Today I want to talk about changing the way we think about corrections. |
今天我想谈谈关于 改变我们看待惩教的方式。 |
I believe, and my experience tells me, that when we change the way we think, we create new possibilities, or futures, and prisons need a different future. |
我相信,以及我的经验告诉我, 当我们改变思考问题的方式, 我们就能创造新的可能性,或者未来, 而监狱需要一个不同的未来。 |
I've spent my entire career in corrections, over 30 years. |
我花费了我整个的职业生涯在惩教上,超过了30年。 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I followed my dad into this field. |
我跟随我父亲进入这个领域。 |
He was a Vietnam veteran . Corrections suited him. |
他是一个越战老兵。惩教适合他。 |
veteran:n.老兵; adj.(尤指军事方面)老练的;
|
He was strong, steady , disciplined . |
他强壮,沉着,遵守纪律。 |
steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; disciplined:adj.遵守纪律的; v.训练; (discipline的过去式和过去分词)
|
I was not so much any of those things, and I'm sure that worried him about me. |
我并没有太多那些特质, 我敢肯定那使他担心我。 |
Eventually I decided, if I was going to end up in prison, |
最终我决定,如果有一天我会终老在狱中, |
Eventually:adv.最后,终于;
|
I'd better end up on the right side of the bars, so I thought I'd check it out, take a tour of the place my dad worked, the McNeil Island Penitentiary . |
我最好终老在栏杆正确的那一边, 所以我想我应该去看看, 到我父亲工作的地方游览一下, 麦克尼尔岛监狱。 |
Penitentiary:adj.应处监禁的; n.监狱;
|
Now this was the early '80s, and prisons weren't quite what you see on TV or in the movies. |
这是早期的80年代, 监狱还不太是你们 在电视上或者电影里看到的样子 |
In many ways, it was worse. |
在许多方面,它更糟糕。 |
I walked into a cell house that was five tiers high. |
我走进一个五层高的牢房里。 |
tiers:v.成层堆积;层层上升;n.级;阶;层;阶层;等级;(tier的第三人称单数和复数)
|
There were eight men to a cell. |
在一个牢房里有八个人。 |
there were 550 men in that living unit. |
一个生活单元里有550人。 |
And just in case you wondered, they shared one toilet in those small confines . |
以防你不知道, 他们在那些小隔间里共用一个厕所。 |
just in case:以防万一;作为准备; confines:n.范围;界限;疆界(confine的复数);v.限制;禁闭(confine的三单形式);
|
An officer put a key in a lockbox , and hundreds of men streamed out of their cells. |
一个警官把一条钥匙插进密码箱里, 数以百计的人从他们的牢房里涌了出来。 |
lockbox:n.连锁的箱子;
|
Hundreds of men streamed out of their cells. |
数以百计的人从他们的牢房里涌了出来。 |
I walked away as fast as I could. |
我以最快的速度离开了。 |
Eventually I went back and I started as an officer there. |
最终我回去了,我在那里成为了一个狱警。 |
My job was to run one of those cell blocks and to control those hundreds of men. |
我的工作是管理其中一个牢房区 以及控制那里数以百计的犯人。 |
When I went to work at our receptions center, |
当我去我们接待中心工作的时候, |
I could actually hear the inmates roiling from the parking lot , shaking cell doors, yelling, tearing up their cells. |
我能真的听见犯人从床上滚下, 摇晃牢房的门,叫喊, 毁坏他们的牢房。 |
inmates:n.被收容者;居民(inmate的名词复数); roiling:v.(水)激荡;扰乱;搅乱;使混乱;(roil的现在分词) parking lot:n.停车场;
|
Take hundreds of volatile people and lock them up, and what you get is chaos . |
把许许多多不稳定的人关起来, 你得到的只有混乱。 |
volatile:adj.[化学]挥发性的;不稳定的;爆炸性的;反覆无常的;n.挥发物;有翅的动物; chaos:n.混沌,混乱;
|
Contain and control — that was our job. |
容纳和控制——那是我们的工作。 |
One way we learned to do this more effectively was a new type of housing unit called the Intensive Management Unit, IMU, a modern version of a "hole." |
我们学习到更有效的一种方式 是一个新型的居住单元 叫集约化管理单元,IMU, 一个现代版的“洞穴”。 |
Intensive:adj.加强的;集中的;透彻的;加强语气的;n.加强器; Management:n.管理;管理人员;管理部门;操纵;经营手段;
|
We put inmates in cells behind solid steel doors with cuff ports so we could restrain them and feed them. |
我们把犯人放进用实心钢门封住的牢房 戴上手铐,以便于我们能限制他们 还有给他们食物。 |
cuff:n.袖口,裤子翻边; vt.给…上袖口; vi.殴斗,拳击; restrain:v.抑制;阻止;控制;约束(自己);
|
Guess what? |
猜猜怎么样? |
It got quieter. |
变得更安静了。 |
Disturbances died down in the general population. |
骚乱在普通人群中逐渐消失。 |
Disturbances:n.[通信][电子]干扰;失调(disturbance的复数形式);困惑; in the general:通常,一般;
|
Places became safer because those inmates who were most violent or disruptive could now be isolated . |
地方变得更加安全 因为那些最暴力最具破坏力的犯人 现在能被隔离起来了。 |
violent:adj.暴力的;猛烈的; disruptive:adj.破坏的;分裂性的;制造混乱的; isolated:adj.偏远的; v.隔离,孤立,脱离;
|
But isolation isn't good. |
但是隔离并不好。 |
Deprive people of social contact and they deteriorate . |
剥夺犯人的社交联系,他们变得更恶劣了。 |
Deprive:vt.使丧失,剥夺; contact:n.接触,联系;v.使接触,联系; deteriorate:vi.恶化,变坏;vt.恶化;
|
It was hard getting them out of IMU, for them and for us. |
把他们从IMU弄出来是很困难的, 无论是对他们还是对我们来说。 |
Even in prison, it's no small thing to lock someone up. |
即使在监狱,把某一个人关起来 决不是一件小事情。 |
My next assignment was to one of the state's deep-end prisons where some of our more violent or disruptive inmates are housed. |
我的下一个任务在州里其中一个 关押更暴力或者更具破坏性的囚犯的监狱。 |
assignment:n.分配:(分派的)工作,任务:
|
By then, the industry had advanced a lot, and we had different tools and techniques to manage disruptive behavior. |
到那时候为止,行业已经进步了许多, 而我们拥有了不同的工具和技术 去管理破坏性行为。 |
advanced:adj.先进的; v.前进; (advance的过去式和过去分词形式) techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
We had beanbag guns and pepper spray and plexiglass shields , flash bangs , emergency response teams. |
我们有了豆袋枪和胡椒喷雾 还有防爆盾, 闪光弹,应急反应小组。 |
beanbag:n.游戏用的装了豆子的小袋; pepper:n.胡椒;辣椒;胡椒粉;v.加胡椒粉于;使布满; spray:n.喷雾; v.喷; plexiglass:n.树脂玻璃;塑胶玻璃; shields:n.盾牌; v.屏蔽; (shield的第三人称单数) flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的; bangs:n.刘海; v.猛撞; emergency:n.紧急情况;突发事件;非常时刻;adj.紧急的;备用的; response:n.响应;反应;回答;
|
We met violence with force and chaos with chaos. |
我们用暴力来对付暴力 用混乱面对混乱。 |
violence:n.暴力;侵犯;激烈;歪曲;
|
We were pretty good at putting out fires. |
我们很擅长解决问题。 |
While I was there, I met two experienced correctional workers who were also researchers, an anthropologist and a sociologist . |
在那里工作的时候,我遇到了两个经验丰富的管教人员 并且他们都是研究员, 一位是人类学家还有一位社会学家。 |
correctional:adj.矫正的;修正的; anthropologist:n.人类学家;人类学者; sociologist:n.社会学家;
|
One day, one of them commented to me and said, "You know, you're pretty good at putting out fires. |
一天,他们其中一人对我说, “你知道,你很擅长平息战火, |
Have you ever thought about how to prevent them?" |
你又没有想过如何预防它们呢?” |
I was patient with them, explaining our brute force approach to making prisons safer. |
我对他们很耐心, 解释我们的暴力法, 那是为了把监狱变得更安全。 |
patient:adj.有耐心的,能容忍的;n.病人;患者; brute:adj.残忍的;无理性的;n.畜生;残暴的人; approach:n.方法;路径;v.接近;建议;着手处理;
|
They were patient with me. |
他们对我很耐心。 |
Out of those conversations grew some new ideas and we started some small experiments. |
从那些对话中我得到了一些新的想法 并且我们开始了一些小型的实验。 |
First, we started training our officers in teams rather than sending them one or two at a time to the state training academy . |
首先,我们从培训几组狱警开始 而不是一次送一个或者两个狱警到州立培训学院。 |
academy:n.学院;研究院;学会;专科院校;
|
Instead of four weeks of training, we gave them 10. |
我们提供给他们10周的培训,而不是原本的4周。 |
Then we experimented with an apprenticeship model where we paired new staff with veteran staff. |
然后我们尝试了一种学徒制模式 我们将新的员工跟经验丰富的老手配对。 |
apprenticeship:n.学徒期;学徒身分;
|
They both got better at the work. |
他们俩在工作上都变得更好了。 |
Second, we added verbal de-escalation skills into the training continuum and made it part of the use of force continuum. |
第二,我们增加了口头降级技巧 到连续不断的训练中 以及令它成为武力使用等级的一部分。 |
verbal:adj.口头的;言语的;动词的;照字面的;n.动词的非谓语形式; de-escalation:n.降级;减低战争的范围或强度; continuum:n.[数]连续统;[经]连续统一体;闭联集;
|
It was the non-force use of force. |
它是暴力的非暴力形式的应用。 |
And then we did something even more radical . |
然后我们做了一些更加激进的事情。 |
radical:n.自由基;激进分子;游离基;adj.根本的;彻底的;完全的;全新的;
|
We trained the inmates on those same skills. |
我们训练犯人那些相同的技巧。 |
We changed the skill set, reducing violence, not just responding to it. |
我们改变了技巧, 减少了暴力,而不仅仅是回应它。 |
responding:v.响应;作出反应;反应灵敏;(respond的现在分词)
|
Third, when we expanded our facility , we tried a new type of design. |
第三,当我们扩建设施的时候,尝试了一个新型的设计。 |
expanded:adj.扩充的;展开的;vt.扩大(expand的过去式); facility:n.设施;设备;特别装置;特色;场所;天资;
|
Now the biggest and most controversial component of this design, of course, was the toilet. |
现在,设计中最大以及最受到争议的部分 当然是,厕所。 |
controversial:adj.有争议的;有争论的; component:n.成分;部件;组成部分;adj.构成的;
|
There were no toilets. |
那里没有厕所。 |
Now that might not sound significant to you here today, but at the time, it was huge. |
对于今天现场的你们来说,这些可能听起来不重要, 但是在那时候,这是个很严重的问题。 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
No one had ever heard of a cell without a toilet. |
没有人听说过牢房没有厕所。 |
We all thought it was dangerous and crazy. |
我们全都认为这是危险的和疯狂的。 |
Even eight men to a cell had a toilet. |
即使八个人的牢房也有厕所。 |
That small detail changed the way we worked. |
那个小的细节改变了我们工作的方式。 |
Inmates and staff started interacting more often and openly and developing a rapport . |
犯人和工作人员开始更频繁和开放地 互动以及发展出了和谐的关系。 |
interacting:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的现在分词) rapport:n.密切关系,交往;和谐一致;
|
It was easier to detect conflict and intervene before it escalated . |
探测冲突和在升级前干预 变得更加容易。 |
detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测; conflict:n.冲突;矛盾;争执;抵触;v.抵触; intervene:vi.干涉;调停;插入; escalated:v.(使)逐步扩大,不断恶化,加剧;(escalate的过去分词和过去式)
|
The unit was cleaner, quieter, safer and more humane . |
单元变得更加整洁,安静,安全以及更加人性化。 |
humane:adj.仁慈的,人道的;高尚的;
|
This was more effective at keeping the peace than any intimidation technique I'd seen to that point. |
这在保持和平上比任何其他 我见过的恐吓技术都要更有效率。 |
effective:adj.有效的,起作用的;实际的,实在的;给人深刻印象; intimidation:n.恐吓,威胁;
|
Interacting changes the way you behave , both for the officer and the inmate. |
互动改变了你的行为方式, 无论是对狱警还是对犯人来说。 |
behave:v.表现;(机器等)运转;举止端正;(事物)起某种作用;
|
We changed the environment and we changed the behavior. |
我们改变了环境,我们还改变了行为。 |
Now, just in case I hadn't learned this lesson, they assigned me to headquarters next, and that's where I ran straight up against system change. |
这时候,以防万一我没有吸取这个教训, 他们接着安排我去总部, 那是我直接执行系统改革的地方。 |
assigned:v.分配(某物);分派;指定;委派;(assign的过去分词和过去式) headquarters:n.总部;指挥部;司令部;
|
Now, many things work against system change: politics and politicians , bills and laws, courts and lawsuits , internal politics. |
这时候,很多事情对系统改革不利: 政治和政治家,法案和法律, 法院和诉讼,内部政治。 |
politics:n.政治;钩心斗角;政治观点;v.(贬)从事政治活动;(politic的第三人称单数) politicians:n.政治家;(蔑)政客;(美)政治贩;(politician的复数) lawsuits:n.诉讼,法律诉讼;控诉(lawsuit的复数形式); internal:n.内脏;本质;adj.内部的;里面的;体内的;(机构)内部的;
|
System change is difficult and slow, and oftentimes it doesn't take you where you want to go. |
系统改革是困难以及缓慢的, 而它时常带不了你 去你想到的地方。 |
oftentimes:adv.时常地;
|
It's no small thing to change a prison system. |
改变一个监狱系统并不是一件小事情。 |
So what I did do is I reflected on my earlier experiences and I remembered that when we interacted with offenders , the heat went down. |
所以我反省了一下过去的经验 并且我想起来当我们与罪犯交流的时候,紧张度就下降了。 |
reflected:adj.反射的;得自他人的;v.反射;思考;(reflect的过去式和过去分词) interacted:v.交流;沟通;合作;相互影响;(interact的过去分词和过去式) offenders:n.罪犯(offender的复数);冒犯者;
|
When we changed the environment, the behavior changed. |
当我们改变环境的时候,行为就会改变。 |
And these were not huge system changes. |
而这些不是大的系统性的改革。 |
These were small changes, and these changes created new possibilities. |
这些是小的改变,并且这些改变 制造出新的可能, |
So next, I got reassigned as superintendent of a small prison. |
接下来,我被分配到了一所小监狱当狱长。 |
reassigned:v.再分配;再指定;交还;(reassign的过去式和过去分词) superintendent:n.监督人;负责人;主管;指挥者;
|
And at the same time , I was working on my degree at the Evergreen State College. |
并且在同一时间,我正在为我在 艾沃格瑞州立学院的学位而努力。 |
at the same time:同时;另一方面;与此同时; Evergreen:n.常绿树;常绿植物;adj.[植]常绿的;永葆青春的;
|
I interacted with a lot of people who were not like me, people who had different ideas and came from different backgrounds. |
我去很多与我不同的人接触, 跟我有不同想法的人, 还有有着不同背景的人。 |
One of them was a rainforest ecologist . |
其中有一个人是雨林生态学家。 |
rainforest:n.(热带)雨林; ecologist:n.生态学者;
|
She looked at my small prison and what she saw was a laboratory . |
她看了一下我的小监狱而她想到的是 一个实验室。 |
laboratory:n.实验室,研究室;
|
We talked and discovered how prisons and inmates could actually help advance science by helping them complete projects they couldn't complete on their own, like repopulating endangered species : frogs, butterflies, endangered prairie plants. |
我们交流并发现监狱以及犯人是如何 能够通过帮助他们完成试验项目 从而来帮助科学发展。 他们没法自己完成, 像重新繁衍濒临灭绝的物种: 青蛙,蝴蝶,濒临灭绝的草原植物。 |
repopulating:vt.使人重新住入; endangered:v.使遭危险;危及;危害;(endanger的过去分词和过去式) species:n.[生物]物种;种类; prairie:n.大草原;牧场;
|
At the same time, we found ways to make our operation more efficient through the addition of solar power, rainwater catchment , organic gardening, recycling . |
与此同时,我们发现了 让我们运行的更有效率的方法, 通过引入太阳能, 雨水收集,有机园艺,回收利用。 |
efficient:adj.有效率的;有能力的;生效的; addition:n.添加;[数]加法;增加物; rainwater:n.雨水;软水; catchment:n.流域;集水; organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体; recycling:n.(资源,垃圾的)回收利用;v.回收;再循环利用(recycle的现在分词);
|
This initiative has led to many projects that have had huge system-wide impact , not just in our system, but in other state systems as well, small experiments making a big difference to science, to the community. |
这种首创精神已经导致很多 有巨大系统性影响的项目, 不仅仅在我们的系统内,在其他州的系统也一样, 小型的实验对科学 对社区产生巨大影响。 |
initiative:n.倡议;主动性;积极性;主动权;adj.起始的; system-wide:adj.全系统的;系统范围的;系统级的;整个系统的; impact:n.影响;效果;碰撞;冲击力;v.挤入,压紧;撞击;对…产生影响;
|
The way we think about our work changes our work. |
我们看待工作的方式改变了我们的工作。 |
The project just made my job more interesting and exciting. |
项目使我的工作更加有趣和令人兴奋。 |
I was excited. Staff were excited. |
我很兴奋。工作人员很兴奋。 |
Officers were excited. Inmates were excited. |
狱警们很兴奋。犯人们很兴奋。 |
They were inspired . |
他们都受到了启发。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
Everybody wanted to be part of this. |
每一个人都想成为其中的一份子。 |
They were making a contribution , a difference, one they thought was meaningful and important. |
他们对有意义和重要的事, 做出了贡献,产生了影响。 |
contribution:n.捐款;捐资;定期缴款;贡献;促成作用;稿件; meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的;
|
Let me be clear on what's going on here, though. |
让我尽管澄清一下这里正在发生什么事情。 |
Inmates are highly adaptive . |
犯人们非常适应。 |
highly:adv.高度地;非常;非常赞许地; adaptive:adj.适应的,适合的;
|
They have to be. |
他们不得不这样做。 |
Oftentimes, they know more about our own systems than the people who run them. |
他们时常比管理他们的人 更清楚自己的系统。 |
And they're here for a reason. |
他们进监狱是有原因的。 |
I don't see my job as to punish them or forgive them, but I do think they can have decent and meaningful lives even in prison. |
我并不认我的工作是去惩罚或者原谅他们, 但是我认为他们即使在监狱 也能拥有得体和有意义的生活。 |
forgive:v.原谅;免除(债务,义务等); decent:adj.正派的;得体的;相当好的;
|
So that was the question: |
所以那是个问题: |
Could inmates live decent and meaningful lives, and if so, what difference would that make? |
犯人们可以过上体面而且有意义的生活吗? 如果可以,会带来怎样的不同? |
So I took that question back to the deep end, where some of our most violent offenders are housed. |
我带着那疑问回到最困难的部分, 那个关押最暴力的罪犯的地方。 |
Remember, IMUs are for punishment . |
记住,IMU(集约化管理单元)是用于惩罚的。 |
punishment:n.惩罚;严厉对待,虐待;
|
You don't get perks there, like programming. |
你不会在那里得到额外的好处,比如规划。 |
perks:n.特权; v.打扮;
|
That was how we thought. |
我们就是这样想的。 |
But then we started to realize that if any inmates needed programming, it was these particular inmates. |
但是我们开始意识到 这些特定的犯人,比任何其他人都更需要计划指令。 |
In fact, they needed intensive programming. |
|
So we changed our thinking 180 degrees, and we started looking for new possibilities. |
所以我们在思想上有了180度的转变 开始寻找新的可能性。 |
What we found was a new kind of chair. |
我们找到的是一种新型的椅子。 |
Instead of using the chair for punishment, we put it in classrooms. |
取代了原来用来惩罚的椅子, 我们把它放置于教室。 |
Okay, we didn't forget our responsibility to control, but now inmates could interact safely, face-to-face with other inmates and staff, and because control was no longer an issue , everybody could focus on other things, like learning. Behavior changed. |
好吧,我们没有忘记控制的职责, 但是犯人可以安全地相处, 跟狱友还有工作人员面对面沟通, 而且因为管制已经不再是一个问题了, 所有人都可以集中精力到其他的事情中, 像学习。行为改变了。 |
face-to-face:adj.面对面的;当面的;adv.面对面地; issue:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;发行;
|
We changed our thinking, and we changed what was possible, and this gives me hope. |
我们改变了思维,创造不同的可能性,而这给我们带来了希望。 |
Now, I can't tell you that any of this stuff will work. |
现在,我无法肯定这完全可行。 |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
What I can tell you, though, it is working. |
我能告诉你的是,它正在起作用。 |
Our prisons are getting safer for both staff and inmates, and when our prisons are safe, we can put our energies into a lot more than just controlling. |
对工作人员和犯人来说我们的监狱都变得更加安全, 而当我们的监狱安全了, 我们可以把精力更多地投入到控制犯人以外的事情。 |
Reducing recidivism may be our ultimate goal, but it's not our only goal. |
减少惯犯也许是我们的终极目标, 但是它不是我们的唯一目标。 |
recidivism:n.再犯,累犯; ultimate:adj.最终的;极限的;根本的;n.终极;根本;基本原则;
|
To be honest with you, preventing crime takes so much more from so many more people and institutions . |
坦白跟你们说,预防犯罪 需要更多的人力物力 以及机构参与其中。 |
institutions:n.机构;慈善机构;风俗习惯,制度;(institution的复数)
|
If we rely on just prisons to reduce crime, |
如果我们仅仅依赖监狱去减少犯罪, |
rely:vi.依靠;信赖;
|
I'm afraid we'll never get there. |
恐怕永远都达不到目标。 |
But prisons can do some things we never thought they could do. |
但是监狱能够做一些 我们从未想过它们能做到的事情。 |
Prisons can be the source of innovation and sustainability , repopulating endangered species and environmental restoration . |
监狱可以是创新和 可持续发展, 重新繁衍濒临灭绝的物种以及环境修复之源。 |
source:n.来源;水源;原始资料; innovation:n.创新,革新;新方法; sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性; restoration:n.恢复;复位;王政复辟;归还;
|
Inmates can be scientists and beekeepers , dog rescuers . |
囚犯可以是科学家和养蜂人, 犬只救援人员。 |
beekeepers:n.养蜂人; rescuers:n.救援者(rescuer的复数);
|
Prisons can be the source of meaningful work and opportunity for staff and the inmates who live there. |
对工作人员 和犯人来说, 监狱可以提供有意义的工作和机会。 |
We can contain and control and provide humane environments. |
我们可以容纳和控制 以及提供人道的环境。 |
These are not opposing qualities. |
这些不是相对立的。 |
opposing:adj.对立的; v.反对(计划、政策等); (oppose的现在分词)
|
We can't wait 10 to 20 years to find out if this is worth doing. |
我们不能等待10年到20年去发现 这是不是值得做的。 |
Our strategy is not massive system change. |
我们的策略不是巨大的系统改变。 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略; massive:adj.大量的;巨大的,厚重的;魁伟的;
|
Our strategy is hundreds of small changes that take place in days or months, not years. |
我们的策略是数以百计的小改变 发生在几天或者几个月,而不是几年。 |
take place:发生;举行;
|
We need more small pilots where we learn as we go, pilots that change the range of possibility. |
我们需要更多小的试点,在前进中学习, 改变可能性范围的试点。 |
We need new and better ways to measure impacts on engagement , on interaction , on safe environments. |
我们需要新的更好的方式去衡量影响 在参与上,在互动上, 在安全的环境里。 |
impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; engagement:n.婚约;约会;交战;诺言;n.参与度; interaction:n.[计]交互,相互作用;相互交流;干扰;
|
We need more opportunities to participate in and contribute to our communities , your communities. |
我们需要更多的机会去参与 和贡献我们的社区, 你们的社区。 |
participate:v.参加;参与; contribute to:有助于;捐献; communities:n.社区;社会;团体;共有(community的复数)
|
Prisons need to be secure, yes, safe, yes. |
监狱需要变得牢靠,对的,安全,对的。 |
We can do that. |
我们能够做到。 |
Prisons need to provide humane environments where people can participate, contribute, and learn meaningful lives. |
监狱需要提供人道主义环境 人们可以参与,贡献, 以及学习有意义的生活。 |
We're learning how to do that. |
我们正在学习如何去做到那件事。 |
That's why I'm hopeful. |
那就是我满怀希望的原因。 |
We don't have to stay stuck in old ideas about prison. |
我们没有必要停留在对监狱老旧的观念上。 |
We can define that. We can create that. |
我们可以定义它。我们可以创造它。 |
And when we do that thoughtfully and with humanity , prisons can be more than the bucket for failed social policy. |
当我们细心地以及人道地做事, 监狱可以不只是 承载失败社会政策的桶。 |
thoughtfully:adv.沉思地;体贴地,亲切地; humanity:n.人类;人道;仁慈;人文学科;
|
Maybe finally , we will earn our title: a department of corrections. |
也许最终,我们将会赢得我们的头衔: 一个修正的部门。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |