|
|
DanDennett_2009U-_可爱,性感,甜,搞笑_
|
I’m going around the world giving talks about Darwin, and usually what I’m talking about is Darwin’s strange inversion of reasoning. |
我经常在世界各地做关于达尔文的演讲, 一般我都要讲到的是 达尔文奇怪的“反向逻辑”。 |
inversion:n.倒置;反向;倒转;
|
Now that title, that phrase, comes from a critic , an early critic , and this is a passage that I just love, and would like to read for you. |
这个“头衔”,这个名词,来自于一个批评,一个早先的批评。 我喜欢这篇文章,很乐意给大家念一下。 |
critic:n.评论家;反对者;批评者;
|
'"In the theory with which we have to deal, Absolute Ignorance is the artificer; so that we may enunciate as the fundamental principle of the whole system, |
这个我们要探讨的理论之中,“全然无知”变成了创造者; 那么让我们清楚阐明这个理论体系的根本原则, |
Ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂; enunciate:vt.发音;阐明;宣布;vi.阐明;清晰地发音; fundamental:n.基础; adj.十分重大的; principle:n.原理,原则;主义,道义;本质,本义;根源,源泉;
|
that, in order to make a perfect and beautiful machine, it is not requisite to know how to make it. |
那就是,在制造一个完美的机器之前, 完全没有必要知道如何来制造它。 |
requisite:adj.必备的,必不可少的;需要的;n.必需品;
|
This color= "Black"> proposition will be found on careful examination, to color= "Black"> express , in color= "Black"> condensed form, the color= "Black"> essential color= "Black"> purport of the Theory, and to express in a few words all Mr. Darwin’s meaning; who, by a strange inversion of reasoning, seems to think Absolute Ignorance fully color= "Black"> qualified to color= "Black"> take the place of Absolute Wisdom in the achievements of color= "Black"> creative skill." |
这种说法被建立在详尽的研究之上 来传达这个理论的要义, 也传达了达尔文先生的全部意思; 他用这样一种奇怪的“反向逻辑” 似乎认为“绝对的无知”完全有资格取代 “绝对的智慧”来完成需要创造性技能的工作。 |
proposition:n.提议;待处理的问题;任务;(美国)法律修正议案;见解;命题;v.向...提议; express:v.表达; adj.特快的; n.特快列车; v.使用快速服务; condensed:adj.压缩的,精简的; v.(由气体)冷凝; (condense的过去式和过去分词) essential:n.要点;要素;实质;必需品;adj.完全必要的;必不可少的;极其重要的;本质的; purport:n.主旨;大意;主要意思;v.自称;标榜; qualified:adj.有资格的; v.合格; (qualify的过去分词和过去式) take the place of:代替;
|
Exactly. Exactly. And it is a strange inversion. |
可不是嘛!可不是嘛!这真是一个奇怪的“反向”。 |
A creationist pamphlet has this wonderful page in it: "Test Two: |
一位上帝论者的小册子上有这样一页非常精彩: 测验二 |
creationist:n.神造说鼓吹者;神灵论者;特创论者(即相信万物皆由上帝一次造成者); pamphlet:n.小册子;
|
Do you know of any building that didn’t have a builder ? Yes No. |
你知道任何一栋建筑没有它的建设者?有,没有 |
builder:n.建筑者;建立者;
|
Do you know of any painting that didn’t have a painter? Yes No. |
你知道有任何一副画没有它的绘画者?有,没有 |
Do you know of any car that didn’t have a maker? Yes No. |
你知道有任何一辆小汽车没有它的制造者么?有,没有 |
If you answered "YES" for any of the above, give details." |
如果你在任一问题中答“有”,给出其细节。 |
A-ha! I mean, it really is a strange inversion of reasoning. |
啊哈!我说,这可真是一个奇怪的“反向逻辑”啊! |
You would have thought it stands to reason that design requires an intelligent designer. |
你可能觉得这种说法站得住脚: 那就是但凡设计都需要一个智慧的设计者。 |
stands to reason:合乎道理;我们来论理; intelligent:adj.有才智的;悟性强的;聪明的;有智力的
|
But Darwin shows that it’s just false. |
可达尔文证明,那是错误的。 |
Today, though, I’m going to talk about Darwin’s other strange inversion, which is equally puzzling at first, but in some ways just as important. |
但是今天,我要谈的是达尔文的另一个奇怪的“反向逻辑”。 它乍眼看来也是一样莫名其妙,但从某种程度上说,它也是一样重要。 |
puzzling:adj.使为难的;费解的;v.迷惑;使困惑;(puzzle的现在分词)
|
It stands to reason that we love chocolate cake because it is sweet. |
说我们喜欢巧克力是因为它很甜,似乎说得过去。 |
Guys go for girls like this because they are sexy. |
小伙子们迷这样的姑娘,因为她们很性感。 |
We adore babies because they’re so cute. |
我们宠爱这样的婴儿,因为他们是那么可爱。 |
And, of course, we are amused by jokes because they are funny. |
当然,我们还喜欢笑话,因为它们搞笑。 |
amused:adj.好笑的;逗乐的;v.逗乐;逗笑;(使)娱乐;(amuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
This is all backwards. It is. And Darwin shows us why. |
但这都是倒因为果的逻辑。达尔文会告诉我们为什么。 |
Let’s start with sweet. Our sweet tooth is basically an evolved sugar detector , because sugar is high energy, and it’s just been wired up to the preferer, to put it very crudely , and that’s why we like sugar. |
从甜开始吧,我们馋甜的,其实是一种进化出来的糖探测器。 因为糖是高热量的,所以它就被大脑强化为我们的一项偏爱。 简单来讲,这就是为什么我们喜欢糖。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) detector:n.探测器;检测器;发现者;侦察器; crudely:adv.粗糙地;天然地;粗鲁地;不成熟地;
|
Honey is sweet because we like it, not "we like it because honey is sweet." |
蜜是甜的,因为我们喜欢它,而不是“我们喜欢蜜,因为它是甜的。” |
There’s nothing intrinsically sweet about honey. |
蜂蜜内在没有任何所谓的甜。 |
intrinsically:adv.本质地;内在地;固有地;
|
If you looked at glucose molecules till you were blind, you wouldn’t see why they tasted sweet. |
哪怕我们盯着葡萄糖,看到双眼失明 我们也没法看出来为什么它们是甜的。 |
glucose:n.葡萄糖;葡糖(等于dextrose); molecules:n.[化学]分子,微粒;[化学]摩尔(molecule的复数);
|
You have to look in our brains to understand why they’re sweet. |
你必须要从我们大脑中来理解为什么它们甜。 |
So if you think first there was sweetness , and then we evolved to like sweetness , you’ve got it backwards; that’s just wrong. It’s the other way round. |
所以如果你认为首先有了甜, 然后我们进化成了喜欢甜, 那你就搞反了:这是错的。应该是倒过来。 |
sweetness:n.美妙;芳香;可爱;
|
Sweetness was born with the wiring which evolved. |
甜的出现是和大脑里那个沟回的进化一起发生的。 |
And there’s nothing intrinsically sexy about these young ladies. |
这些年轻小姐们也没有什么内在的性感。 |
And it’s a good thing that there isn’t, because of there were, then Mother Nature would have a problem: |
而且没有是件好事,因为假如真的有了 我们的自然之母就要有麻烦了: |
Mother Nature:n.大自然;自然界;
|
How on earth do you get chimps to mate ? |
我可怎么让这些猩猩们交配啊? |
chimps:n.(非洲的)黑猩猩; mate:n.助手,大副; v.使配对;
|
Now you might think, ah, there’s a solution : hallucinations . |
现在你也许在想。啊哈!我有一招:性幻想!-_-! |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; hallucinations:n.幻视,幻听;幻觉;幻象;(hallucination的复数)
|
That would be one way of doing it, but there’s a quicker way. |
这也许是个办法,但还有一招更快。 |
Just wire the chimps up to love that look, and apparently they do. |
就是让猩猩们的大脑产生个沟回,爱上那个样子。 而且显然,它们爱上了。 |
apparently:adv.显然地;似乎,表面上;
|
That’s all there is to it. |
就是这么回事。 |
Over six million years, we and the chimps evolved our different ways. |
过了六百万年,我们和猩猩进化成了不同的样子。 |
We became bald-bodied, oddly enough; for one reason or another, they didn’t. |
我们变得身躯无毛,有够奇怪的; 而由于某种原因,它们没有 |
oddly:adv.古怪地;奇妙地;单数地;
|
If we hadn’t, then probably this would be the height of sexiness . |
如果我们也没有的话,那么可能这个就变成了绝顶性感了。 |
sexiness:n.(口)性感;
|
Our sweet tooth is an evolved and instinctual preference for high-energy food. |
我们馋甜东西是一种进化出来的内在偏爱,偏爱高热量食物。 |
instinctual:adj.[生物]本能的; preference:n.偏爱;爱好;喜爱;偏爱的事物; high-energy:高能的;
|
It wasn’t designed for chocolate cake. |
那不是针对巧克力蛋糕而设计的。 |
Chocolate cake is a supernormal stimulus . |
巧克力蛋糕是一个超常刺激。 |
stimulus:n.刺激;激励;刺激物;
|
The term is owed to Niko Tinbergen, who did his famous experiments with gulls , where he found that that orange spot on the gull’s beak -- if he made a bigger, oranger spot the gull chicks would peck at it even harder. |
这个词是尼古拉斯·丁伯根(Niko Tinbergen)提出来的。 他做了他出名的海鸥实验 他发现了海鸥喙上的橘点—— 如果他把这个点放大,染得更橘 那么小海鸥就会更猛烈地啄它。 |
owed:v.欠债;欠情;归功于;起源于;(owe的过去分词和过去式) gulls:n.[鸟]鸥; v.诈欺,骗(gull的第三人称单数形式); beak:n.[鸟]鸟嘴;鹰钩鼻子;地方执法官;男教师; peck:vi.啄食; vt.啄食; n.许多;
|
It was a hyperstimulus for them, and they loved it. |
这对它们来说是兴奋的刺激,它们狂爱这个。 |
What we see with, say, chocolate cake is it’s a supernormal stimulus to tweak our design wiring. |
对于我们而言,比方说,巧克力蛋糕 就是一个超常刺激,它扭曲了我们脑内沟回的本意。 |
tweak:vt.扭;拧;扯;稍稍调整;n.扭;拧;扯;轻微调整
|
And there are lots of supernormal stimuli; chocolate cake is one. |
有很多很多的超常刺激,巧克力蛋糕是一个。 |
There's lots of supernormal stimuli for sexiness. |
有很多对于性感的超常刺激。 |
stimuli:n.刺激;刺激物;促进因素(stimulus的复数);
|
And there's even supernormal stimuli for cuteness . Here’s a pretty good example. |
甚至有对于可爱的超常刺激,这就有一个很好的例子。 |
cuteness:n.娇小可爱;
|
It’s important that we love babies, and that we not be put off by, say, messy diapers . |
喜欢婴儿对于我们来讲很重要,这样我们就不会因为某些麻烦——比如说脏尿布——而嫌弃他们。 |
messy:adj.肮脏的;凌乱的;不整洁的; diapers:n.(婴儿的)尿布,尿片;(diaper的复数)
|
So babies have to attract our affection and our nurturing , and they do. |
因此婴儿必须要吸引我们的爱意和抚养,他们确实做到了。 |
nurturing:v.养育;培养;扶持;支持;助长;(nurture的现在分词)
|
And, by the way , a recent study shows that mothers prefer the smell of the dirty diapers of their own baby. |
另外顺便说一句,最近一个研究表明 妈妈们都更喜欢闻自己孩子的脏尿布。 |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
So nature works on many levels here. |
可见自然在不同的层次上起着作用。 |
But now, if babies didn’t look the way they do, if babies looked like this, that’s what we would find adorable , that’s what we would find -- we would think, oh my goodness, do I ever want to hug that. |
但现在,如果婴儿们不再像他们现在的样子,而是看上去这样。 这就是我们觉得可爱的样子, 这就会使我们想“哦,天哪!我可真想抱抱啊!” |
adorable:adj.可爱的;可敬重的,值得崇拜的;
|
This is the strange inversion. |
这是一个奇怪的“反向逻辑” |
Well now, finally what about funny. My answer is, it’s the same story, the same story. |
那么现在,最后关于可笑。我的答案是,一样的故事,是个一样的故事。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
This is the hard one, the one that isn’t obvious . That’s why I leave it to the end. |
这个比较难懂,不太显而易见,所以我把它留到最后。 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
And I won’t be able to say too much about it. |
而且我今天也不会讲太多这个。 |
But you have to think evolutionarily , you have to think, what hard job that has to be done -- it’s dirty work , somebody’s got to do it -- is so important to give us such a powerful, inbuilt reward for it when we succeed. |
你必须从进化的角度来想,你得想,什么困难的活必须被完成—— 这是一个脏活,而且必须有人来完成它—— 以至于当我们完成的时候,给我们一个强烈的内在奖励那么重要。 |
evolutionarily:进化上; dirty work:不法行为;卑鄙勾当;苦活; inbuilt:adj.内置的;内藏的;嵌入的; reward:n.[劳经]报酬;报答;酬谢;v.[劳经]奖励;奖赏;
|
Now, I think we've found the answer, I and a few of my colleagues . |
现在,我想我们有答案了,我和几位我的同事。 |
colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数);
|
It’s a neural system that’s wired up to reward the brain for doing a grubby clerical job. |
这是一种为了奖励大脑完成了某项 肮脏的事务性工作而产生的神经反应体系。 |
neural:adj.神经的;神经系统的;背的;神经中枢的; grubby:adj.肮脏的;生蛆的;卑鄙的;矮小的; clerical:adj.书记的;牧师的;办事员的;n.牧师;
|
Our bumper sticker for this view is that this is the joy of debugging . |
我们关于这个观点的招牌说法就是 这是排除故障的快感。 |
bumper:adj.丰盛的,丰富的;n.缓冲器,保险杆,减震物;vt.装满;为…祝酒;vi.干杯; sticker:n.粘贴标签;贴纸; debugging:n.调试以排除故障;v.排除故障;发现并改正错误(debug的ing形式);
|
Now I’m not going to have time to spell it all out, but I’ll just say that only some kinds of debugging get the reward. |
现在我没时间来把这个展开讲了, 但我得说,只有某几种“排除故障”能够获得这种快感。 |
And what we’re doing is we’re using humor as a sort of neuroscientific probe by switching humor on and off, by turning the knob on a joke -- now it’s not funny ... oh, now it’s funnier ... |
我们现在所做的,就是把幽默感作为一种神经科学的探针, 通过幽默的开关,通过调整笑话—— “这个不搞笑了……哦,现在这个有意思……” |
humor:n.幽默;心情;情绪;脾气;v.迎合;迁就; neuroscientific:adj.神经系统科学的; probe:n.探针;调查;vi.调查;探测;vt.探查;用探针探测; knob:n.把手;瘤;球形突出物;vi.鼓起;vt.使有球形突出物;
|
now we’ll turn a little bit more ... now it’s not funny -- in this way, we can actually learn something about the architecture of the brain, the functional architecture of the brain. |
“现在我们调整一点……现在又不搞笑了”—— 通过这种方式,我们事实上能学到 一些关于大脑构造的知识, 关于大脑的功能性构造。 |
architecture:n.建筑学;建筑风格;建筑式样;架构; functional:adj.功能的;
|
Matthew Hurley is the first author of this. We call it the Hurley Model. |
马修·赫尔利(Matthew Hurley)是这本书的第一作者,我们称这个为赫尔利模型(Hurley Model)。 |
He’s a computer scientist, Reginald Adams a psychologist , and there I am, and we’re putting this together into a book. |
他是个计算机科学家,雷金纳德·亚当斯(Reginald Adams)一位心理学家,然后就是我。 我们正在把这些写进一本书里。 |
psychologist:n.心理学家,心理学者;
|
Thank you very much. |
谢谢大家! |