|
|
DanDennett_2003-_我们的意识_
|
So I'm going to speak about a problem that I have and that's that I'm a philosopher . |
让我从我的一个问题开始, 那就是,我是一个哲学家。 |
philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
When I go to a party and people ask me what do I do and I say "I'm a professor," their eyes glaze over. |
当我参加派对时,人们问我,我是干什么的。 我说,“我是个教授”,他们一下就失去了兴趣。 |
glaze:vt.装以玻璃;上釉于;vi.变呆滞;变得光滑;n.釉;光滑面;
|
When I go to an academic cocktail party and there are all the professors around, they ask me what field I'm in and I say philosophy -- their eyes glaze over. |
当我参加学术酒会时, 在场的都是教授,他们问我是做什么领域的。 我说,哲学——他们没了兴趣。 |
academic:adj.学术的;理论的;学院的;n.大学生,大学教师;学者; cocktail party:n.鸡尾酒会; philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
When I go to a philosopher's party |
当我参加哲学派对时 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
and they ask me what I work on and I say consciousness, their eyes don't glaze over -- their lips curl into a snarl . |
他们问我在研究什么,我说,意识, 他们就不仅仅是失去兴趣了——他们的嘴巴都拧成一团了。 |
curl:v.卷;蜷缩;鬈曲;(使)成拳曲状;n.(一绺)鬈发;(头发)拳曲;卷状物;螺旋状物; snarl:n.咆哮;怒骂;混乱;vi.咆哮;怒骂;缠结;vt.搞乱;咆哮着说;使…缠结;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And I get hoots of derision and cackles and growls because they think, "That's impossible! You can't explain consciousness." |
我还引来了阵阵嘲笑以及嘀咕, 因为他们觉得,“那是不可能的!你没法解释意识。” |
hoots:int.咄,啐(等于pshaw); derision:n.嘲笑;嘲笑的对象; cackles:n.饶舌; vi.咯咯叫; vt.格格笑著表示; growls:vi.咆哮着说;vt.咆哮;(雷电,炮等)轰鸣;n.咆哮声;吠声;不平;
|
The very chutzpah of somebody thinking that you could explain consciousness is just out of the question . |
这是太放肆大胆的想法 意识是不可能被解释的 |
chutzpah:n.肆无忌惮; out of the question:不可能;不知底细;根本谈不上;
|
My late, lamented friend Bob Nozick, a fine philosopher, in one of his books, " Philosophical Explanations," |
我已故的,令人惋惜的朋友 Bob Nozick,一位极好的哲学家 在他的著作 “哲学解释 (Philosophical Explanations)”中 |
lamented:adj.令人遗憾的;被哀悼的;v.哀悼(lament的过去式和过去分词形式); Philosophical:adj.哲学的(等于philosophic);冷静的;
|
is commenting on the ethos of philosophy -- the way philosophers go about their business. |
评论了哲学的精神—— 也就是哲学家行事的方法。 |
ethos:n.民族精神;气质;社会思潮; philosophers:n.哲学家(philosopher的复数);
|
And he says, you know, "Philosophers love rational argument." |
他说,你知道,“哲学家热爱合理的论点。” |
rational:n.理性;人类;合理的事物;[数]有理数;adj.合理的;理性的;明智的;理智的;
|
And he says, "It seems as if the ideal argument for most philosophers is you give your audience the premises and then you give them the inferences and the conclusion , and if they don't accept the conclusion , they die. |
他还说,“看起来好像对于多数哲学家,理想的论证 是向观众提出前提, 然后给出推理和结论, 如果听众不接受那个结论,他们就死了。 |
premises:n.营业场所;(企业的)房屋建筑及附属场地;(premise的复数) inferences:n.[数]推断,[数]推论(inference复数形式); conclusion:n.结论;结局;推论;
|
Their heads explode ." The idea is to have an argument that is so powerful that it knocks out your opponents . |
他们脑子坏了。” 这种想法是要有一个论点 强到可以直接压倒对方。 |
explode:v.爆炸;爆裂;勃然(大怒);突然发生(危险); opponents:n.对手(opponent的复数形式);
|
But in fact that doesn't change people's minds at all. |
但事实上这丝毫没有改变人们的想法。 |
It's very hard to change people's minds about something like consciousness, and I finally figured out the reason for that. |
人们的想法是非常难以改变的 特别是在类似意识这样的事情上, 后来我终于发现了原因所在。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
The reason for that is that everybody's an expert on consciousness. |
原因就是,每个人都是意识的专家。 |
We heard the other day that everybody's got a strong opinion about video games. |
我们经常能听到人们对于电子游戏都有鲜明的个人观点 |
the other day:不久前某一天;几天以前;
|
They all have an idea for a video game , even if they're not experts. |
每个人都有自己对电子游戏的看法,尽管他们不是专家。 |
video game:n.电子游戏;
|
But they don't consider themselves experts on video games, they've just got strong opinions. |
他们也没有把自己看做电子游戏专家, 他们只是有着强烈的看法。 |
I'm sure that people here who work on, say, climate change and global warming , or on the future of the Internet, encounter people who have very strong opinions about what's going to happen next. |
我非常确定在座的各位中,从事,比如气候变化 和全球变暖的,或者因特网的前景的, 就各自领域未来这一问题 会遇到很多有鲜明观点的人。 |
global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖; encounter:v.遭遇,邂逅;遇到;n.遭遇,偶然碰见;
|
But they probably don't think of these opinions as expertise . |
但是或许他们并没有把这些想法当作专业知识 |
expertise:n.专门知识;专门技术;专家的意见;
|
They're just strongly held opinions. |
他们仅仅是有着鲜明的观点。 |
But with regard to consciousness, people seem to think, each of us seems to think, "I am an expert. |
但是说到意识,人们似乎觉得 我们每个人好像都觉得,“我是个专家。 |
Simply by being conscious, I know all about this." |
就因为我是有意识的,所以我对意识全知全解。” |
And so, you tell them your theory and they say, "No, no, that's not the way consciousness is! |
所以,当你告诉他们你的理论时,他们会说, “不对,不对,意识不是那样的! |
No, you've got it all wrong." |
不对,你全搞错了。” |
And they say this with an amazing confidence . |
而且他们说的时候,还带着一种令人惊讶的自信。 |
confidence:n.信心;信任;秘密;adj.(美)诈骗的;骗得信任的;
|
And so what I'm going to try to do today is to shake your confidence. Because I know the feeling -- |
而我今天想要做的 就是要动摇你们的信心。因为我很清楚这种感觉—— |
I can feel it myself. |
我自己就能感觉到。 |
I want to shake your confidence that you know your own innermost minds -- that you are, yourselves, authoritative about your own consciousness. |
我想要动摇你们对了解自身最深处想法的信心—— 那种你主宰了自己意识的信心。 |
innermost:adj.内心的;最里面的,最深处的;秘密的; authoritative:adj.有权威的;命令式的;当局的;
|
That's the order of the day here. |
这就是今天的议程。 |
Now, this nice picture shows a thought-balloon. A thought-bubble. |
好了,这张图展示的是一个“思维泡泡”。 |
I think everybody understands what that means. |
我想大家都知道这是什么意思。 |
That's supposed to exhibit the stream of consciousness . |
它展示了意识流。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) exhibit:v.展览;表现;展出;n.陈列品;(在法庭上出示的)物证; stream of consciousness:n.意识流文学;
|
This is my favorite picture of consciousness that's ever been done. |
这是到目前,我最喜欢的展示意识的图片。 |
It's a Saul Steinberg of course -- it was a New Yorker cover. |
它是 Saul Steinberg 的作品——是《纽约客》的一幅封面图片。 |
And this fellow here is looking at the painting by Braque. |
这个人是在看 Braque 的画。 |
That reminds him of the word baroque , barrack , bark , poodle , |
让他想起了巴洛克 (baroque)、兵营(barrack)、树皮 (bark)、狮毛狗(poodle) |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数) baroque:adj.巴洛克式的;结构复杂的,形式怪样的;n.巴洛克风格;巴洛克艺术; barrack:n.营房;兵舍;vt.使…驻兵营内;向…提供营房;vi.住入营房; bark:n.树皮; v.(狗)吠叫; poodle:n.狮子狗;v.剪毛;
|
Suzanne R. -- he's off to the races. |
Suzanne R. ——精彩正要开始。 |
There's a wonderful stream of consciousness here and if you follow it along, you learn a lot about this man. |
这是个极好的意识流 如果你一直跟下去,你可以了解这个男人很多事情 |
What I particularly like about this picture, too, is that Steinberg has rendered the guy in this sort of pointillist style. |
我还特别喜欢这个图片里边 Steinberg 把整个人渲染成 一种点彩画风格 |
particularly:adv.特别地,独特地;详细地,具体地;明确地,细致地; rendered:v.使成为;给予;提供;回报;递交;(render的过去分词和过去式)
|
Which reminds us, as Rod Brooks was saying yesterday: what we are, what each of us is -- what you are, what I am -- is approximately 100 trillion little cellular robots. |
这让我们想起,Rod Brooks 昨天所说的: 我们是什么,我们每个人是什么——你是什么,我是什么—— 是将近一万亿亿的小细胞机器人。 |
Rod:n.杆;竿;棒;(责打人用的)棍棒;手枪; approximately:adv.大约,近似地;近于; trillion:n.[数]万亿;adj.万亿的;num.[数]万亿; cellular:adj.细胞的;多孔的;由细胞组成的;n.移动电话;单元;
|
That's what we're made of. |
那就是我们的组成成分。 |
No other ingredients at all. We're just made of cells, about 100 trillion of them. |
没有任何其他成分。我们就是细胞组成的,约一万亿亿个。 |
ingredients:n.成分;(尤指烹饪)原料;(成功的)要素;(ingredient的复数)
|
Not a single one of those cells is conscious, not a single one of those cells knows who you are, or cares. |
这些细胞中没有任何一个有意识, 没有一个知道你是谁,或者在乎这个。 |
Somehow , we have to explain how when you put together teams, armies, battalions of hundreds of millions of little robotic unconscious cells -- not so different really from a bacterium , each one of them -- the result is this. I mean, just look at it. |
从某种意义上,我们需要解释 我们如何把数队,数军,数营的 成百百亿的无意识细胞机器—— 他们每个都与细菌没有多大区别—— 组合成了这个。我的意思是,就看一下。 |
Somehow:adv.以某种方法;莫名其妙地; put together:..放在一起;组合;装配; battalions:n.(军队的)营;(有组织的)队伍;(battalion的复数) robotic:adj.机器人的,像机器人的;自动的;n.机器人学; unconscious:adj.无意识的;失去知觉的;未发觉的; bacterium:n.[微]细菌;杆菌属;
|
The content -- there's color, there's ideas, there's memories, there's history. And somehow all that content of consciousness is accomplished by the busy activity of those hoards of neurons. |
这些内容——有颜色、有想法、有回忆, 有历史。从某种意义上,这些意识的内容 是由那些聚集的神经元的繁忙活动完成的。 |
content:n.内容,目录;满足;容量;adj.满意的;vt.使满足; accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式) hoards:vi.积聚钱财;贮藏货物;vt.贮藏;n.贮藏物;
|
How is that possible? Many people just think it isn't possible at all. |
这怎么可能呢?很多人认为这一点可能性都没有。 |
They think, "No, there can't be any sort of naturalistic explanation of consciousness." |
他们觉得,“不,不可能有 任何对意识的科学的解释。” |
naturalistic:adj.自然的;自然主义的;博物学的;
|
This is a lovely book by a friend of mine named Lee Siegel, who's a professor of religion, actually, at the University of Hawaii, and he's an expert magician, and an expert |
这是一本由我朋友 Lee Siegel 写的可爱的书, 他是夏威夷大学的宗教方向教授, 而且还是个魔术专家,是 |
on the street magic of India, which is what this book is about, "Net of Magic." |
印度街头魔术的专家,也就是这本书的内容, “魔术的网。” |
And there's a passage in it which I would love to share with you. |
我要与你们分享里面的一篇文章。 |
It speaks so eloquently to the problem. |
这些话在这个问题上说的真是太好了。 |
eloquently:adv.善辩地;富于表现力地;
|
'"'I'm writing a book on magic,' I explain, and I'm asked, 'Real magic?' |
“ ‘我在写一本关于魔术的书,’ 我解释道,然后我又被问道,‘真正的魔术?’ |
By real magic, people mean miracles , thaumaturgical acts, and supernatural powers. |
真正的魔术,人们指的是奇迹、 魔法,以及超自然力量。 |
miracles:n.奇迹;奇人;不平凡的事;(miracle的复数) supernatural:adj.超自然的;神奇的,不可思议的;n.超自然现象;不可思议的事;
|
'No,' I answer. 'Conjuring tricks, not real magic.' |
‘不’,我回应道。‘变戏法而已,不是真正的魔术。’ |
Real magic, in other words, refers to the magic that is not real, while the magic that is real, that can actually be done, is not real magic." |
真正的魔术,换句话来说,指的是那些并不真实可行的魔法, 而那些真实可行的魔术,又不是真正的魔法。” |
refers:v.谈及;提到;提及;涉及;描述;(refer的第三人称单数)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now, that's the way a lot of people feel about consciousness. |
好了,那就是很多人对意识的感觉。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Real consciousness is not a bag of tricks . |
真正的意识不是魔术师的口袋 |
bag of tricks:魔术袋;
|
If you're going to explain this as a bag of tricks, then it's not real consciousness, whatever it is. |
如果你把它解释为魔术师的口袋, 那它就不是真正的意识,不管它是什么。 |
And, as Marvin said, and as other people have said, "Consciousness is a bag of tricks." |
可是,Marvin 和其他的人说, “意识是魔术师的口袋。” |
This means that a lot of people are just left completely dissatisfied and incredulous when I attempt to explain consciousness. |
这意味着很多人会感到不满 和怀疑,在我尝试解释意识的时候。 |
dissatisfied:adj.不满意的; v.使不满(dissatisfy的过去式和过去分词); incredulous:adj.怀疑的;不轻信的; attempt:n.企图,试图;攻击;v.企图,试图;尝试;
|
So this is the problem. So I have to try to do a little bit of the sort of work that a lot of you won't like, for the same reason that you don't like to see a magic trick explained to you. |
所以,这就是个问题。我需要做 一点点尝试 你们很多人不会喜欢它, 因为你们不愿意看到 魔术被揭秘。 |
How many of you here, if somebody -- some smart aleck -- starts telling you how a particular magic trick is done, you sort of want to block your ears and say, "No, no, I don't want to know! |
在座有多少人,在别人——一些自作聪明的人—— 开始揭露魔术的秘密时, 你们想要塞上耳朵然后说,“不,不,我不想知道! |
aleck:n.傻瓜;
|
Don't take the thrill of it away. I'd rather be mystified . |
不要破坏它的刺激。我宁愿被蒙在鼓里。 |
thrill:n.兴奋感;兴奋;激动;v.使非常兴奋;使非常激动; mystified:v.迷惑;使迷惑不解;使糊涂;(mystify的过去分词和过去式)
|
Don't tell me the answer." |
不要告诉我答案。” |
A lot of people feel that way about consciousness, I've discovered. |
我发现,很多人对待意识是这样的态度。 |
And I'm sorry if I impose some clarity , some understanding on you. |
所以我对给你们做的分析和解释感到抱歉。 |
impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于; clarity:n.清楚,明晰;透明;
|
You'd better leave now if you don't want to know some of these tricks. |
如果你不想了解这些思维的秘密,最好现在就离开。 |
But I'm not going to explain it all to you. |
不过我也不会向你们解释所有。 |
I'm going to do what philosophers do. |
我会做哲学家所做的。 |
Here's how a philosopher explains the sawing the lady in half trick. |
哲学家如何解释将女士锯成两半的魔术呢。 |
You know the sawing the lady in half trick? |
你们知道将人锯成两半的魔术吧? |
The philosopher says, "I'm going to explain to you how that's done. |
哲学家说,“我来解释那是怎么做到的。 |
You see, the magician doesn't really saw the lady in half." |
你看,魔术师并没有真正把那位女士锯成两半。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"He merely makes you think that he does." |
“他仅仅是让你们以为他这样做了。” |
merely:adv.仅仅,只不过;只是;
|
And you say "Yes, and how does he do that?" |
然后他说 “是啊,他怎么做到呢?” |
He says, "Oh, that's not my department, I'm sorry." |
他说,“喔,那不是我的研究范围,不好意思。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So now I'm going to illustrate how philosophers explain consciousness. |
现在我将描述哲学家是如何解释意识的。 |
illustrate:v.解释;加插图于;给(书等)做图表;表明…真实;
|
But I'm going to try to also show you that consciousness isn't quite as marvelous -- your own consciousness isn't quite as wonderful -- as you may have thought it is. |
我也将向你们展示 意识并不是那么神奇—— 你的意识并不像—— 你所设想的那么神奇。 |
marvelous:adj.了不起的;非凡的;令人惊异的;不平常的;
|
This is something, by the way , that Lee Siegel talks about in his book. |
顺便说,这就是 Lee Siegal 在他的书中所谈到的事情。 |
by the way:顺便说一下;
|
He marvels at how he'll do a magic show, and afterwards people will swear they saw him doing X, Y, and Z. He never did those things. |
他的魔术表演非常神奇,所以 有些人发誓目睹他曾做过甲事、乙事还有丙事。但其实他从来没做过。 |
marvels:奇迹(marvel的名词复数);
|
He didn't even try to do those things. |
他甚至都没有尝试过。 |
People's memories inflate what they think they saw. |
当人们认为看到了的时候,他们的记忆就会自以为是。 |
inflate:vt.使充气;使通货膨胀;vi.膨胀;充气;
|
And the same is true of consciousness. |
意识也是这样。 |
Now, let's see if this will work. All right. Let's just watch this. |
现在,让我们看看这个。 |
Watch it carefully. |
仔细看。 |
I'm working with a young computer-animator documentarian named Nick Deamer, and this is a little demo that he's done for me, part of a larger project some of you may be interested in. |
我在和一个年轻的计算机动画纪录片专家合作 他的名字叫 Nick Deamer。这是他帮我做的一个小演示, 是你们或许会感兴趣的大项目中的一小部分。 |
documentarian:纪录片制片人;纪实小说作者; demo:v.试用(尤指软件);演示;示范;n.试样唱片;录音样带;
|
We're looking for a backer . |
我们在寻求赞助。 |
backer:n.支持者;赞助人;援助者;
|
It's a feature-length documentary on consciousness. |
是一部关于意识的正片长度纪录片 |
feature-length:adj.长篇的;电影达到正片应有的长度的;
|
OK, now, you all saw what changed, right? |
好,你们都看到了什么东西改变了,对吧? |
How many of you noticed that every one of those squares changed color? |
有多少人注意到每一个方块都变了颜色? |
Every one. I'll just show you by running it again. |
每个都变了。我来重放一下。 |
Even when you know that they're all going to change color, it's very hard to notice. You have to really concentrate to pick up any of the changes at all. |
即使你们都知道他们要变颜色了, 那也很难被注意到。你需要完全地集中注意力 以发现任何变化。 |
concentrate:n.浓缩物;v.聚精会神;集中(注意力);使…集中(或集合、聚集);(使)浓缩;
|
Now, this is an example -- one of many -- of a phenomenon that's now being studied quite a bit. |
这是许多例子中的一个, 关于我们已经有很多研究的一个现象。 |
phenomenon:n.现象;杰出的人;非凡的人(或事物);
|
It's one that I predicted in the last page or two of my 1991 book, "Consciousness Explained," |
它是我在我书的最后几页预言过的 我在1991年的书,“意识的解释,” |
predicted:v.预言;预告;预报;(predict的过去分词和过去式)
|
where I said if you did experiments of this sort, you'll find that people were unable to pick up really large changes. |
我说如果你有过这种经历, 你会发现人们不能发现真正的大改变。 |
If there's time at the end, |
如果最后还剩时间 |
I'll show you the much more dramatic case. |
我会展示更多富有戏剧性的例子。 |
dramatic:adj.突然的;巨大的;令人吃惊的;激动人心的;
|
Now, how can it be that there are all those changes going on, and that we're not aware of them? |
为什么到处都在发生这样的改变, 而我们却意识不到? |
Well, earlier today, Jeff Hawkins mentioned the way your eye saccades, the way your eye moves around three or four times a second. |
今天早些时候,Jeff Hawkins 提到了眼睛是如何扫视的, 也就是眼睛一秒钟移动三到四次。 |
He didn't mention the speed. Your eye is constantly in motion , moving around, looking at eyes, noses, elbows , looking at interesting things in the world. |
他没有提到速度。你的眼睛一直在运动, 四处运动,看着眼睛、鼻子、手肘, 看着这世上有趣的东西。 |
constantly:adv.不断地;时常地; motion:n.动作;移动;手势;请求;意向;议案;v.运动;打手势; elbows:n.弯头; v.用肘推; (elbow的第三人称单数和复数)
|
And where your eye isn't looking, you're remarkably impoverished in your vision . |
在你眼睛没有看到的地方, 你的视野特别贫乏。 |
remarkably:adv.非常;极为;格外;出乎意料地 impoverished:adj.穷困的;用尽了的,无创造性的;v.使贫困(impoverish的过去分词); vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
That's because the foveal part of your eye, which is the high-resolution part, is only about the size of your thumbnail held at arms length. |
这是因为你眼睛的中央凹部分, 也就是高分辨率的部分, 只有大拇指甲在一臂长处看起来那么大。 |
high-resolution:n.高分辨率; thumbnail:n.拇指指甲;极小的东西;短文;adj.极小的,极短的;
|
That's the detail part. |
那就是有细节的部分。 |
It doesn't seem that way, does it? |
看起来好像不是这样对吧? |
It doesn't seem that way, but that's the way it is. |
看起来不是这么回事,但它就是。 |
You're getting in a lot less information than you think. |
你接收到的信息远比你想象的少。 |
Here's a completely different effect. This is a painting by Bellotto. |
这里有一个截然不同的效果。这是 Bellotto 的一幅油画。 |
It's in the museum in North Carolina . |
它被藏于北卡罗来纳州博物馆。 |
Carolina:n.卡罗莱纳州(在美国东南部);
|
Bellotto was a student of Canaletto's. |
Bellotto 是 Canaletto 的学生。 |
And I love paintings like that -- the painting is actually about as big as it is right here. |
我喜欢那样的油画—— 像这样大的油画。 |
And I love Canalettos, because Canaletto has this fantastic detail, and you can get right up and see all the details on the painting. |
我也喜欢 Canalettos,因为 Canaletto的作品对细节处理巧妙, 我们可以细细地观察 油画的细节。 |
fantastic:奇异的,空想的
|
And I started across the hall in North Carolina, because I thought it was probably a Canaletto, and would have all that in detail. |
我穿过北卡博物馆的那个大厅, 因为我想可能是 Canaletto 的作品, 所以会有那些细节。 |
And I noticed that on the bridge there, there's a lot of people -- you can just barely see them walking across the bridge. |
然后我注意到那边的桥,有非常多的人—— 你似乎可以看到他们从桥上走过。 |
barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
|
And I thought as I got closer |
我想着如果我走近一点 |
I would be able to see all the detail of most people, see their clothes, and so forth. |
我就可以看到更多人物细节, 看到他们的衣服等等。 |
And as I got closer and closer, I actually screamed. |
实际上,当我越来越近的时候,我叫了出来。 |
I yelled out because when I got closer, |
我叫是因为当我靠近时, |
I found the detail wasn't there at all. |
我发现那里其实没有细节。 |
There were just little artfully-placed blobs of paint. |
那里只有巧妙放置的颜料粒。 |
blobs:n.斑点(blob的复数);v.溅污(blob的三单形式);
|
And as I walked towards the picture, |
而当我走近那幅画时, |
I was expecting detail that wasn't there. |
我在期待不存在的细节。 |
The artist had very cleverly suggested people and clothes and wagons and all sorts of things, and my brain had taken the suggestion. |
艺术家很聪明地暗示了人物和服装 以及车马还有其他事物, 而我的大脑接受了这样的暗示。 |
cleverly:adv.聪明地; wagons:货车;[车辆]手推车;
|
You're familiar with a more recent technology , which is -- there. |
你们很熟悉一个更新的技术,就在——这个。 |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友; technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
You can get a better view of the blobs. |
你们可以更好地看到颗粒。 |
See, when you get close they're really just blobs of paint. |
看,当你移近时 他们就真的只是颜料粒。 |
You will have seen something like this -- this is the reverse effect. |
你应该看过像这样的东西——相反的效果。 |
reverse:n.反面; v.颠倒; adj.相反的;
|
I'll just give that to you one more time. |
我再来演示一次。 |
Now, what does your brain do when it takes the suggestion? |
好,那么当你的大脑接受暗示时他做了什么呢? |
When an artful blob of paint or two, by an artist, suggests a person -- say, one of |
当艺术家的一两滴颜料粒 暗示了一个人——比如,一个 |
artful:adj.巧妙的;狡猾的;有技巧的;欺诈的;
|
Marvin Minsky's little society of mind -- do they send little painters out to fill in all the details in your brain somewhere? |
Marvin Minsky 的小社会心态—— 难道他们把小画家送到你的脑子里来填充所有细节? |
I don't think so. Not a chance. But then, how on earth is it done? |
我觉得不是。没有任何可能,不过那样的话,那这些又到底是怎么回事? |
Well, remember the philosopher's explanation of the lady? |
还记得哲学家怎么解释那个被锯成两半的女士吗? |
It's the same thing. |
这是同一件事情。 |
The brain just makes you think that it's got the detail there. |
大脑只是让你确信它得到了那处细节。 |
You think the detail's there, but it isn't there. |
你想着细节在那里,但是他不在。 |
The brain isn't actually putting the detail in your head at all. |
大脑并没有把细节放入脑海中。 |
It's just making you expect the detail. |
它只是让你期待细节。 |
Let's just do this experiment very quickly. |
让我们快速地过下这个试验。 |
Is the shape on the left the same as the shape on the right, rotated ? |
左边的形状旋转后是不是与右边的完全相同? |
rotated:adj.旋转的;v.旋转;使…转动;循环(rotate的过去分词);
|
Yes. |
是的。 |
How many of you did it by rotating the one on the left in your mind's eye, to see if it matched up with the one on the right? |
多少人把左边的形状旋转了 在想象中,来看它是否与右边那个一致? |
rotating:v.(使)旋转,转动;(工作)由…轮值;(rotate的现在分词)
|
How many of you rotated the one on the right? OK. |
有多少人旋转的是右边那个?好的。 |
How do you know that's what you did? |
你怎么知道那就是你所作的? |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
There's in fact been a very interesting debate raging for over 20 years in cognitive science -- various experiments started by Roger Shepherd , who measured the angular velocity of rotation of mental images . |
实际上这有个非常有趣的争论 在认知科学领域持续了20年—— 由 Roger Shepherd 开始的各种试验, 他测量了人的意识中图像的旋转角速度。 |
debate:n.辩论;争论;考虑;v.辩论;争论;考虑; raging:adj.愤怒的,狂暴的;v.发怒,恼火(rage的现在分词); cognitive:adj.认知的,认识的; Roger:n.罗杰;[男名]男子名;int.明白;v.与某人性交; Shepherd:vt.牧羊;带领;指导;看管;n.牧羊人;牧师;指导者; measured:adj.缓慢谨慎的; v.测量; (measure的过去分词和过去式) angular:adj.[生物]有角的;生硬的,笨拙的;瘦削的; velocity:n.[物]速度; rotation:n.旋转;循环,轮流; mental:adj.精神的;脑力的;疯的;n.精神病患者; images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
Yes, it's possible to do that. |
是的,这是做得到的。 |
But the details of the process are still in significant controversy . |
但是过程的细节还有着明显的争议。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物; controversy:n.争论;论战;辩论;
|
And if you read that literature , one of the things that you really have to come to terms with is even when you're the subject in the experiment, you don't know. |
如果你阅读相关的文献,有件事情 你一定要妥协的是 即使你是实验对象,你也无从知道。 |
literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作; come to terms with:达成协议;让步;
|
You don't know how you do it. |
你不知道你是怎么做到的。 |
You just know that you have certain beliefs. |
你只是知道你有特定的信念 |
And they come in a certain order, at a certain time. |
他们在特定的时间以特定的顺序出现。 |
And what explains the fact that that's what you think? |
那么,如何解释“那就是你所想的”这个事实呢? |
Well, that's where you have to go backstage and ask the magician. |
那,你就要到后台去问魔术师了。 |
backstage:adv.在后台;向后台;
|
This is a figure that I love: Bradley, Petrie, and Dumais. |
这是我喜欢的图示:Bradley, Petrie, 以及 Dumais。 |
You may think that I've cheated, that I've put a little whiter than white boundary there. |
你可能觉得我在骗你, 通过放置一些不显眼的边界。 |
boundary:n.边界;范围;分界线;
|
How many of you see that sort of boundary, with the Necker cube floating in front of the circles? |
多少人看到了那种边界, 通过把内克尔方块放在圆圈的前面? |
Can you see it? |
你可以看到吗? |
Well, you know, in effect, the boundary's really there, in a certain sense. |
看起来,在特定情境下,是有边界的。 |
Your brain is actually computing that boundary, the boundary that goes right there. |
你的大脑计算出了那种边界, 让边界出现在那里。 |
computing:n.计算;计算机技术;信息处理技术;v.计算;求出;(compute的现在分词)
|
But now, notice there are two ways of seeing the cube, right? |
现在,你注意到了有两种方法来看那个立方体,对吧? |
It's a Necker cube. |
这是一个内科尔方块。 |
Everybody can see the two ways of seeing the cube? OK. |
大家都可以看出两种看方块的方法吧?好的 |
Can you see the four ways of seeing the cube? |
那你们能看出四种方法来吗? |
Because there's another way of seeing it. |
由于有不同的方法来看它。 |
If you're seeing it as a cube floating in front of some circles, some black circles, there's another way of seeing it. |
如果你让方块浮在圆圈之上, 那些黑色的圆圈,就有另一种看的方法。 |
As a cube, on a black background, as seen through a piece of Swiss cheese . |
如果把方块当作放在黑色背景之上, 就像是从一块瑞士奶酪的洞里看过去。 |
Swiss cheese:n.瑞士干酪(中间有孔);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Can you get it? How many of you can't get it? That'll help. |
你们能理解吗?多少人不能理解?这样应该有所帮助。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Now you can get it. These are two very different phenomena . |
现在你们明白了。这里有两个很不一样的现象。 |
phenomena:n.现象(phenomenon的复数);
|
When you see the cube one way, behind the screen, those boundaries go away. |
如果你把方块当作是放在屏幕之后的, 边界就没了。 |
boundaries:n.边界;分界线;(boundary的复数)
|
But there's still a sort of filling in, as we can tell if we look at this. |
不过仍然可以把它填充出来,如果你用这种方法去看。 |
We don't have any trouble seeing the cube, but where does the color change? |
我们可以毫无障碍的看到方块,但是颜色是在哪里改变的呢? |
Does your brain have to send little painters in there? |
你的大脑在那儿放了小画家? |
The purple-painters and the green-painters fight over who's going to paint that bit behind the curtain ? No. |
画紫色的画家和画绿色的画家 两者争着要在遮挡物之后涂色吗?不是。 |
behind the curtain:adv.幕后;秘密;
|
Your brain just lets it go. The brain doesn't need to fill that in. |
你的大脑就由它去了。大脑不需要填充它。 |
When I first started talking about the Bradley, Petrie, Dumais example that you just saw -- |
当我第一次谈论到 你刚刚看到的 Bradley, Petrie, Dumais 的例子 —— |
I'll go back to it, this one -- |
让我退回到它,这个—— |
I said that there was no filling in behind there. |
我说过在被挡住的地方是没有填充颜色的。 |
And I supposed that that was just a flat truth, always true. |
我以为这是一个公理,总是对的。 |
But Rob Van Lier has recently shown that it isn't. |
不过 Rob Van Lier 最近证明了它不是。 |
Van:n.厢式货车;客货车;v.选矿;用车搬运; Lier:n.玻璃退火窑;躺卧者; recently:adv.最近;新近;
|
Now, if you think you see some pale yellow -- |
现在,如果你觉得你看到了一些黄色—— |
I'll run this a few more times. |
让我再做几次。 |
Look in the gray areas, and see if you seem to see something sort of shadowy moving in there -- yes! It's amazing. There's nothing there. It's no trick. |
看这些灰色区域, 你是不是好像看到有些阴影在移动—— 是的!那很神奇。那里没有东西。没耍花招。 |
shadowy:adj.朦胧的;有阴影的;虚无的;暗黑的;
|
[ "Failure to Detect Changes in Scenes" ] |
|
Detect:vt.察觉;发现;探测;
|
This is Ron Rensink's work, which was in some degree inspired by that suggestion right at the end of the book. |
这是 Ron Rensink 的作品,在一定程度上 被书最后的暗示所激发。 |
inspired:adj.受到启发的; v.鼓舞; (inspire的过去分词和过去式)
|
Let me just pause this for a second if I can. |
让我暂停几秒。 |
This is change-blindness. |
这是盲变化。 |
What you're going to see is two pictures, one of which is slightly different from the other. |
你会看到两幅图片, 一幅与另一幅有些许区别。 |
slightly:adv.些微地,轻微地;纤细地;
|
You see here the red roof and the gray roof, and in between them there will be a mask, which is just a blank screen, for about a quarter of a second. |
你看这里是红色屋顶而那里是灰色, 他们之间有个遮罩, 这里只是一个空白屏幕,在大概?秒。 |
So you'll see the first picture, then a mask. |
所以你将看到第一幅图,然后是遮罩。 |
Then the second picture, then a mask. |
再然后是第二幅图,然后是遮罩。 |
And this will just continue, and your job as the subject is to press the button when you see the change. |
然后这会重复,你作为实验对象的工作 就是当你看到变化的时候按下按钮。 |
So, show the original picture for 240 milliseconds . Blank. |
所以是,原始图片出现240毫秒。空白。 |
original:n.原件;原作;原物;原型;adj.原始的;最初的;独创的;新颖的; milliseconds:n.[计量]毫秒(millisecond的复数形式);
|
Show the next picture for 240 milliseconds. Blank. |
下一幅图片出现240毫秒。空白。 |
And keep going, until the subject presses the button, saying "I see the change." |
这会一直持续,直到实验对象按下按钮,表示 “我看到变化了。” |
So now we're going to be subjects in the experiment. |
好,现在我们就是实验对象。 |
We're going to start easy. Some examples. |
我们从简单的开始。一个例子。 |
No trouble there. |
没有问题。 |
Can everybody see? All right. |
大家都可以看到吧?好的。 |
Indeed, Rensink's subjects took only a little bit more than a second to press the button. |
是的,Rensink 的实验对象仅仅花了 一秒多一点点的时间来按下按钮。 |
Can you see that one? |
这个能看到吗? |
2.9 seconds. |
2.9 秒。 |
How many don't see it still? |
多少人仍然没有看到? |
What's on the roof of that barn ? |
那个谷仓的屋顶上有什么? |
barn:n.谷仓;畜棚;车库;靶(核反应截面单位);v.把…贮存入仓;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It's easy. |
简单吧。 |
Is it a bridge or a dock ? |
是桥还是船坞? |
dock:n.码头;船坞;被告席;尾巴的骨肉部分;vt.使靠码头;剪短;vi.入船坞;
|
There are a few more really dramatic ones, and then I'll close. |
还有更多富有戏剧性的,然后我的演讲将结束。 |
I want you to see a few that are particularly striking. |
我想让你们看看几个很让人惊讶的。 |
This one because it's so large and yet it's pretty hard to see. |
这个很难看到因为它很大。 |
Can you see it? |
看到了吗? |
Audience: Yes |
听众:看到了。 |
See the shadows going back and forth ? Pretty big. |
看到那个朝前朝后的影子了吗?很大。 |
back and forth:前后移动的,来回的,反复的;
|
So 15 and a half seconds is the median time for subjects in his experiment there. |
平均时间是15秒半 对于这个试验的对象。 |
median:n.n.中值,中位数;三角形中线;梯形中位线;adj.中值的;中央的;
|
I love this one. I'll end with this one, just because it's such an obvious and important thing. |
我爱这个。我将以这个结束, 就因为它是一件很明显很重要的东西。 |
obvious:adj.明显的;显著的;平淡无奇的;
|
How many still don't see it? How many still don't see it? |
多少人还没看到?多少人还没看到? |
How many engines on the wing of that Boeing? |
那架波音的机翼上有几架引擎? |
on the wing:在飞行中;奔波着;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Right in the middle of the picture! |
就在图片中间! |
Thanks very much for your attention. |
感谢你们的聆听。 |
What I wanted to show you is that scientists, using their from the outside, third-person methods, can tell you things about your own consciousness that you would never dream of. |
我想告诉你们的是科学家, 通过利用外部的、第三人称的方法, 可以告诉你关于内在意识的事情 那是你从未梦想的。 |
third-person:第三人称角色;
|
And that, in fact, you're not the authority on your own consciousness that you think you are. |
而且,实际上,你并没有主宰 你自己的意识。 |
authority:n.权威;权力;当局;
|
And we're really making a lot of progress on coming up with a theory of mind. |
我们正取得很多进步 在研究思想的理论上。 |
Jeff Hawkins, this morning, was describing his attempt to get theory, and a good big theory, into the neuroscience . |
Jeff Hawkins 在今早描述了他的尝试 使一个优秀的、大的理论,进入神经科学。 |
describing:v.描述;形容;把…称为;做…运动;(describe的现在分词) neuroscience:n.神经系统科学(指神经病学,神经化学等);
|
And he's right. This is a problem. |
他是对的。这是个问题。 |
Harvard Medical School once -- I was at a talk -- director of the lab said, "In our lab, we have a saying. |
哈佛医学院曾经——在一次谈话中—— 实验室主导说,“在我们实验室,有一种说法。 |
Harvard:n.哈佛大学;哈佛大学学生;
|
If you work on one neuron , that's neuroscience. |
如果你研究一个神经元,那就是神经科学。 |
neuron:n.[解剖]神经元,神经单位;
|
If you work on two neurons, that's psychology ." |
如果研究两个神经元,那就是心理学。” |
psychology:n.心理学;心理状态;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
We have to have more theory, and it can come as much from the top down. |
我们需要更多的理论,而且他们能够自上而下而来。 |
Thank you very much. |
非常感谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |