|
|
DanClayWWW_2018V-_为什么你应该在工作中展现真实的自己_
|
A leader is steady , firm, decisive , unwavering . |
作为一个领导者, 你需要果断,坚定。 |
steady:adj.稳定的; v.使稳定; v.稳定地; n.关系固定的情侣; decisive:adj.决定性的;果断的,坚定的; unwavering:adj.坚定的;不动摇的;
|
Never let 'em see you sweat, always have an answer. |
永远不要让别人 看见你慌张,时刻准备着。 |
[The Way We Work] |
【我们的工作方式】 |
[Made possible with the support of Dropbox] |
|
My name is Dan, I'm a partner at a global creative consultancy . |
我的名字叫丹,我是一家 跨国创意咨询公司的合伙人。 |
global:adj.全球的;总体的;球形的; creative:adj.创造性的; consultancy:n.咨询公司;顾问工作;
|
But there's another side to me: |
但我还有另外一面: |
Carrie Dragshaw, the character I created on Instagram . |
Carrie Drashaw, 那是我在Instagram上创造的另一个人设。 |
Instagram:照片分享(一款运行在iPhone平台上的应用程序);
|
As I thought about my double life , I couldn't help but wonder ... |
每当我想到自己的双重角色都禁不住想… |
double life:n.双重人格的生活(常指其中一重人格涉及非法或不道德行为);
|
When your true self is a little nontraditional , how much of it can you really bring to the office? |
当你的真实自我并不那么符合传统时, 你在工作中会表现出多少呢? |
nontraditional:adj.不符合传统的,非传统的;
|
For some of us is authenticity off-limits ? |
对于有些人来说,真实是禁区? |
authenticity:n.真实性,确实性;可靠性; off-limits:adj.禁止进入的,禁区的;
|
For the first 10 years of my career , |
在我事业的头十年, |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历;
|
I thought there was one way to be a leader: decisive and serious. |
我以为成为领导者只有一种方法: 就是要果断和严肃。 |
But that's not me. |
但那并不是我。 |
So I'd put on basically office drag to fit the role: |
所以我只有带上办公室伪装 才能适应这个角色: |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; drag:v.拖曳;生拉硬拽;拖动;n.拖累;令人厌烦的人;累赘;绊脚石;
|
I'd talk in a deeper voice, try to hold in my hand motions. |
我会用深沉的声音说话, 控制住自己的手势。 |
I'm someone who gets really excited about things, so I'd temper that. |
其实我是那种特别容易激动的人, 所以我会让自己淡定些。 |
temper:n.脾气;情绪;心情;性情;v.使缓和;使温和;使(金属)回火;
|
I had this little voice in my head, telling me, "You're too gay, too feminine , too flamboyant ." |
我脑海里总是有个 小小的声音在跟我说, “你太娘了,太阴柔,太花枝招展。” |
feminine:adj.女性的;妇女(似)的;阴性的;娇柔的; flamboyant:adj.艳丽的;火焰似的;炫耀的;n.凤凰木;
|
I had one well-intentioned adviser who said, "Everyone knows you're gay. And that's great. |
之前有个很好心的顾问跟我说, “大家都知道你是同性恋,那很好啊。 |
well-intentioned:adj.好意的,好心的;出于善意的; adviser:n.顾问;劝告者;指导教师(等于advisor);
|
But you don't need to beat them over the head with it." |
但是你不需要那样克制住自己。” |
Cut to: me in a tutu , for Halloween 2016. |
镜头切换:2016年的 万圣节上穿着芭蕾短裙的我。 |
tutu:n.(法)芭蕾舞短裙;新西兰马桑; Halloween:n.万圣节前夕
|
I dressed up as my favorite TV show character, Carrie Bradshaw, thinking my friends would get a kick out of it. |
我打扮成我最爱的 电视剧角色Carrie Brashaw, 想着我的朋友们看见了 肯定会觉得很好玩。 |
get a kick out of:vt.因某事感到愉快;
|
And then, things got crazy. |
然后事情的发展有点失控。 |
The post went viral , and at first it was pure fun. |
这条帖子火速走红, 一开始只是纯粹的为了好玩。 |
viral:adj.滤过性毒菌引起的;滤过性毒菌的;
|
I started getting these incredible messages from people about how happy it made them, how it encouraged them to be their authentic selves. |
我开始收到一些不可思议的来信, 来信者说这条帖子让他们很开心, 鼓励着他们要做真实的自己。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
And I started to think, maybe this is the time to tell that little voice in my head to just shut up and let myself be me. |
于是我在想, 也许现在我可以让我脑海里 那个小声音闭嘴了, 让我做回真实的自己。 |
But then things got a little too big. |
随后这件事波及的范围 不是一般的大。 |
Carrie Dragshaw was everywhere -- In the "New York Post", "US Weekly" -- and I got terrified: "What would my bosses think? |
Carrie Dragshaw无处不在, 出现在纽约时报,US周刊等。 我却害怕了: “我老板会怎么想?” |
Would my coworkers still respect me as a leader? |
“我的同事们还会把我当作 一个领导那样尊重我吗?” |
coworkers:n.同事;合作人;(coworker的复数形式)
|
What would my clients think?" |
“我的客户会怎样看待我?” |
clients:n.委托人;当事人;客户机;(client的复数)
|
I thought I was going to have to get a different job. |
我觉得我得换一份工作了。 |
But then, something happened, something small. |
但是就在那个时候, 发生了一件很小的事情。 |
I got a text from my boss, it wasn't long, it just said, "Wow, Cosmo!" |
我收到了老板的短信, 内容是这样的, “兄弟,那太带感了!” |
With a link to an article that had just gone up about me. |
附带着一篇关于我的媒体报道。 |
And it let me put that little, scared voice away and just be excited about this whole new world, rather than freaked out. |
这驱散了我心底的恐慌, 让我为这个新世界激动起来, 每天不再如履薄冰。 |
freaked:v.(使)强烈反应,震惊,畏惧;(freak的过去分词和过去式)
|
That's the power of one person, sometimes all it takes is one ally to make you feel comfortable. |
这就是一个人的力量, 有的时候只需要 一个支持者让你感到自在。 |
And my coworkers started acting differently. |
我的同事们也开始有了变化。 |
They became more open, more playful with me, it was as if knowing this other side of me gave them permission to be more of themselves as well. |
他们变得更开放, 与我相处也更加自如, 就好像知道了我的另一面, 让他们获得许可一般做自己。 |
playful:adj.开玩笑的;幽默的;爱嬉戏的;
|
I thought that openness and vulnerability would actually decrease my standing with my team. |
我曾以为那种开放与脆弱 会削弱我在团队中的威信。 |
openness:n.公开;宽阔;率真; vulnerability:n.易损性;弱点; decrease:v.降低;减少;缩小;减弱;n.减少;减小量;所减少的总量;减缩位置;
|
But it's done the opposite. |
但是恰恰相反。 |
Two years in, |
已经两年了, |
I never could have imagined that this part of me would not just be embraced , but could actually help my career. |
我从未想象过我的 这一面不仅仅被接受了, 还帮助了我的事业。 |
embraced:v.拥抱;欣然接受,乐意采纳;信奉;包含;(embrace的过去分词和过去式)
|
Now, I'm lucky. |
现在我感到很幸运。 |
I work in New York City, in an office where creativity is valued and I was already pretty established in my career when all of this started. |
我在纽约工作, 在一个创造力得到重视的公司工作, 当这一切开始的时候, 我的事业已经步入正轨了。 |
established:adj.已确立的;著名的;v.建立;创立;设立;(establish的过去分词和过去式)
|
Maybe that's you, maybe it isn't. |
无论你是否也有过类似的经历, |
But all of this has taught me so much about just the importance of bringing your whole self to work. |
但是这一切教会我很多事情, 教会我把真实的自己带到 工作中去的重要性。 |
And it's really challenged my own misperceptions about what it takes to be successful. |
这极大地挑战了我个人误解, 教会我怎样才能成功。 |
misperceptions:知觉错误(misperception的复数);
|
There's no one kind of way to be a leader. |
成为一个领导者的方法不只一种。 |
It's about finding your strengths and finding ways to amplify them. |
你得找到自己的优势并放大。 |
amplify:vt.放大,扩大;增强;详述;vi.详述;
|
Before, if a meeting was hard, I'd put on my perfect leader mask. |
以前遇到艰难的会议, 我会带上完美的领导面具。 |
Now, I can say, "Gosh, that was frustrating ." |
而现在我会说, “我的天,这太难办了。” |
frustrating:adj.令人沮丧的;v.使沮丧;(frustrate的现在分词)
|
We can talk about challenges and struggles in an open way, rather than everybody pretending that they're fine until it's too late. |
我们可以开城公布地谈论挑战和困境, 而不是所有人都在掩饰 一切顺利,直到为时太晚。 |
Concealing an identity takes work. |
掩藏一个身份耗费心力。 |
Concealing:v.隐藏;隐瞒;掩盖;(conceal的现在分词) identity:n.身份;同一性,一致;特性;恒等式;
|
Think of all the wasted energy spent pretending, wishing you were someone different. |
想想这些花在掩藏上的精力, 祈求自己变成另一个人。 |
What's most interesting to me, though, is that in this big study of covering, 93 percent of those who say they're doing it also believe their organization values inclusion . |
在这个有关于掩藏的研究中, 我觉得最有趣的是 93%的人声称在做真实的自己, 同时也相信自己的公司重视他们的融入。 |
organization:n.组织;机构;体制;团体; inclusion:n.包含;内含物;
|
So clearly, our workplaces and all of our strange inner voices have a long way to go on acceptance . |
可显然,我们的工作场所以及 自己脑海里奇怪的声音 需要很努力才能被接受。 |
workplaces:n.[管理]工作场所(workplace的复数); inner:n.内部;射中接近靶心部分的一发;adj.里面的;向内的;内部的;接近中心的; acceptance:n.验收;接受;认可;承认;
|
There's a big difference between adapting and disguising . |
适应和伪装是两个完全不同的概念。 |
adapting:v.使适应,使适合;适应;改编;改写;(adapt的现在分词) disguising:v.假扮;装扮;伪装;掩饰;(disguise的现在分词)
|
And I think I learned that a little late. |
我觉得自己开窍也有点晚了。 |
Personally , I'm taking all of this as a call to be the ally who, like my boss did for me, lets people know that it's OK to open up. |
坦诚地讲,这在召唤我成为一个支持者, 就像我老板对待我那样, 我要让人们知道我们可以 表达真实的自我。 |
Personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
|
If you're gay, or proud of your ethnic background, or have a disability or are deeply religious , see what it's like being your full self at work. |
如果你是同性恋, 或者以你的民族背景为傲, 或者你是残疾人, 又或者你忠于某个宗教, 尝试着在工作中表现出真实的自己。 |
ethnic:adj.种族的;人种的; disability:n.残疾;无能;无资格;不利条件; religious:adj.宗教的;虔诚的;严谨的;修道的;n.修道士;尼姑;
|
You might be pleasantly surprised. |
也许你会得到让人激动的惊喜。 |
pleasantly:adv.愉快地;和蔼地,亲切地;友好地;
|