|
|
DanBarber_2010-_我如何爱上一条鱼。_
|
So, I've known a lot of fish in my life. |
我一生中接触过很多鱼。 |
I've loved only two. |
只有两种是我的最爱。 |
That first one, it was more like a passionate affair. |
第一种, 是源于激情。 |
passionate:adj.热情的;热烈的,激昂的;易怒的;
|
It was a beautiful fish, flavorful , textured , meaty , a best-seller on the menu. |
它是一条美丽的鱼, 美味,纹理细腻,肉质丰富, 是菜单上最受欢迎的鱼。 |
flavorful:adj.可口的(等于flavourful);充满…味道的;有香味的; textured:adj.有织纹的; v.使具有某种结构(texture的过去分词); meaty:adj.肉的;多肉的;似肉的;
|
What a fish. |
多么美的鱼啊! |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Even better, it was farm-raised to the supposed highest standards of sustainability . |
更好的是, 它是依照最高标准养殖的, 目的是保持它的可持续性的。 |
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式) standards:n.标准,水平,规格(standard的复数) sustainability:n.持续性;永续性;能维持性;
|
So you could feel good about selling it. |
而卖他的人也会感到心安理得。 |
I was in a relationship with this beauty for several months. |
我曾经沉醉于这美丽的关系中, 时间大概延续了几个月。 |
One day, the head of the company called and asked if I'd speak at an event about the farm's sustainability. |
有一天,这个公司的高层打电话给我 邀请我参加一个活动 并就渔业的可持续性发展发表演说。 |
'" Absolutely ," I said. |
我说,“当然可以”。 |
Absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
|
Here was a company trying to solve what's become this unimaginable problem for our chefs. |
这个公司正是要试图解决一个 对于我们厨师来说正在变得不可想象的问题。 |
unimaginable:adj.不可思议的;难以想像的;
|
How do we keep fish on our menus? |
“我们如何把鱼类留在菜单上?” |
For the past 50 years, we've been fishing the seas like we clear-cut forests. |
在过去的50年中, 我们从各个海洋中捕鱼 就像是砍伐树木。 |
clear-cut:adj.清晰的;轮廓鲜明的;
|
It's hard to overstate the destruction . |
绝不是夸大它的破坏性。 |
overstate:vt.夸张;夸大的叙述; destruction:n.破坏,毁灭;摧毁;
|
90 percent of large fish, the ones we love, the tunas , the halibuts, the salmons , swordfish , they've collapsed . |
90%的大型鱼类,那些我们喜爱的种类, 金枪鱼,大比目鱼,三鲑鱼,剑鱼, 他们都要灭绝了。 |
tunas:n.金枪鱼(tuna的复数); salmons:n.鲑鱼;大马哈鱼(salmon的复数形式); swordfish:n.箭鱼; collapsed:v.倒塌,坍塌;倒下,昏倒;坐下;(collapse的过去分词和过去式)
|
There's almost nothing left. |
几乎没有多少剩下了。 |
So, for better or for worse, aquaculture , fish farming, is going to be a part of our future. |
所以,不管是好是坏, 水产养殖业,养鱼业,都会成为我们未来的一部分。 |
aquaculture:n.[水产]水产养殖;水产业;
|
A lot of arguments against it. |
有很多针对这个行业的言论。 |
Fish farms pollute, most of them do anyway, and they're inefficient , take tuna. |
其实它们大部分都是关于养鱼业会污染环境, 而且效率很低,比如说金枪鱼。 |
inefficient:adj.无效率的,效率低的;无能的;
|
A major drawback . |
最大的弊病就是, |
drawback:n.缺点,不利条件;退税;
|
It's got a feed conversion ratio of 15 to one. |
养殖金枪鱼的饲料转换率是 15比1。 |
conversion:n.转换;变换;[金融]兑换;改变信仰; ratio:n.比率;比例;v.用比例方式表达;求出…的比值;使…成比例;
|
That means it takes fifteen pounds of wild fish to get you one pound of farm tuna. |
这个意思是说,每生产1磅金枪鱼肉 要耗费15磅用其他野生鱼类做的饲料。 |
Not very sustainable . |
这可不是很具有可持续发展性。 |
sustainable:adj.可以忍受的;足可支撑的;养得起的;可持续的;
|
Doesn't taste very good either. |
而且也不好吃。 |
So here, finally , was a company trying to do it right. |
最后, 这个公司想做些正确事情。 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地;
|
I wanted to support them. |
我也想支持他们。 |
The day before the event |
在那次活动的前一天, |
I called the head of PR for the company. |
我联系了公司的公关部门头头。 |
Let's call him Don. |
就让我们暂且称呼他为“唐阁下”。 |
'"Don," I said, "just to get the facts straight, you guys are famous for farming so far out to sea, you don't pollute." |
我说:“唐阁下, 据我说知,事实是这样的,你们在海洋捕鱼业十分出名, 而且你们不会产生污染。” |
'"That's right," he said. "We're so far out, the waste from our fish gets distributed , not concentrated ." |
他回应: “你说的对。我们作业的地点很远, 我们捕鱼所产生的污染物都被稀释掉了, 不会集中残留在一个地方。” |
distributed:adj.分布的;分散的;v.分发;分配;使分布(distribute的过去分词和过去式) concentrated:adj.决心要做的; v.集中(注意力); (concentrate的过去式和过去分词)
|
And then he added, "We're basically a world unto ourselves. |
然后他补充到, “我们算得上是独树一帜。 |
basically:adv.主要地,基本上; unto:prep.到,直到;向(等于to);
|
That feed conversion ratio? 2.5 to one," he said. |
饲料转换率?2.5比1,” 他说。 |
'"Best in the business." |
“行业中最好的。” |
2.5 to one, great. |
2.5比1,很好。 |
'"2.5 to one what? What are you feeding?" |
“什么2.5比1?你们在喂什么?” |
'"Sustainable proteins ," he said. |
他回答道:“可持续性蛋白质”。 |
proteins:n.[生化]蛋白质(protein复数);
|
'"Great," I said. Got off the phone. |
我说:“很好”。然后挂了电话。 |
And that night, I was lying in bed, and I thought: |
结果那晚,我躺在床上想: |
What the hell is a sustainable protein? |
可持续性蛋白质是什么鬼东西? |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
So the next day, just before the event, I called Don. |
所以第二天,就在那个活动之前,我打电话给唐阁下。 |
I said, "Don, what are some examples of sustainable proteins?" |
我问道:*唐阁下,你有没有一些可持续性蛋白质的例子? |
He said he didn't know. He would ask around. |
他说他不知道。他会去问问周围的人。 |
Well, I got on the phone with a few people in the company. |
然后,我和这个公司里的一些人通了电话。 |
No one could give me a straight answer . |
但是没有人能给我一个明确的答案。 |
straight answer:直接的回答;
|
Until finally, I got on the phone with the head biologist . |
直到最后,我通上了电话 对方是生物学专家。 |
biologist:n.生物学家;
|
Let's call him Don too. |
让我也暂且叫他 “唐阁下”。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Don," I said, "what are some examples of sustainable proteins?" |
我说:“唐阁下” “可以举例说明一下可持续性蛋白质吗?” |
Well, he mentioned some algaes and some fish meals, and then he said chicken pellets . |
恩,他提到了一些藻类 还有一些鱼食, 然后他提到鸡丸。 |
pellets:n.芯块,小球(pellet的复数);靶丸;v.使形成小球(pellet的第三人称单数);
|
I said, "Chicken pellets?" |
我问道: “鸡丸?” |
He said, "Yeah, feathers, skin, bone meal, scraps , dried and processed into feed." |
他说,“是,羽毛,鸡皮, 骨骼,排泄物, 被晒干加工后添入饲料。” |
scraps:n.残羹剩饭;刮屑(scrap的复数); processed:v.加工,处理;审核;列队行进;(process的过去式和过去分词)
|
I said, "What percentage of your feed is chicken?" |
我说:“鸡在饲料中的比例 是多少?” |
percentage:n.百分比;百分率;利润的分成;提成;
|
thinking, you know, two percent. |
想一下,你知道,2%。 |
'"Well, it's about 30 percent," he said. |
结果他说:“恩,大概占30%,” |
I said, "Don, what's sustainable about feeding chicken to fish?" |
我说,“唐阁下,用鸡喂鱼, 这算什么可持续发展性?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
There was a long pause on the line , and he said, "there's just too much chicken in the world." |
电话的那边安静了很长时间, 然后他对我说, “世界上就是有太多的鸡了。” |
on the line:处于危险中;模棱两可;在电话线上;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I fell out of love with this fish. |
于是,我不再爱这个鱼了。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No, not because I'm some self-righteous , goody-two shoes foodie . |
不,不是因为我是个自以为是, 伪善的美食家。 |
self-righteous:adj.自以为是的; foodie:n.美食家;
|
I actually am. |
其实我是这样的人。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No, I actually fell out of love with this fish because, I swear to God, after that conversation, the fish tasted like chicken. |
不,我不再爱这个鱼了,是因为,我向上帝发誓, 在那次对话之后,那个鱼尝起来更像鸡。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
This second fish, it's a different kind of love story. |
这第二条鱼, 它则是另一种不同的爱情故事。 |
It's the romantic kind, the kind where the more you get to know your fish, you love the fish. |
是很浪漫的那种, 那种你越多了解你的鱼, 你就越爱它。 |
romantic:adj.浪漫的;爱情的;n.浪漫的人;耽于幻想的人;
|
I first ate it at a restaurant in southern Spain. |
我第一次在一个饭店中吃到这种鱼, 位置在西班牙南部。 |
A journalist friend had been talking about this fish for a long time. |
很久以前一个记者朋友和我说过这里。 |
journalist:n.新闻工作者;报人;记日志者;
|
She kind of set us up. |
她可以说是个媒人。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
It came to the table a bright, almost shimmering , white color. |
那条鱼在桌子上 很亮,有着光晕,白色的那种。 |
shimmering:adj.闪烁的;微微发亮的;v.闪耀(shimmer进行式);
|
The chef had overcooked it. |
厨师烹饪它的时间过长了。 |
overcooked:adj.煮得过久的;v.煮得过久;焙烧过度;(overcook的过去式和过去分词)
|
Like twice over. |
好像是烹饪了两次。 |
Amazingly, it was still delicious. |
但是太神奇了,它还是很好吃。 |
Who can make a fish taste good after it's been overcooked? |
谁可以做出这样好吃的鱼 而且还是在烹饪时间过长的情况下? |
I can't, but this guy can. |
我不能, 但是这个人可以。 |
Let's call him Miguel. |
让我们叫他米格尔。 |
Actually his name is Miguel. |
其实他的名字就是米格尔。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
And no, he didn't cook the fish, and he's not a chef. |
但是,他没有烹调那条鱼,他也不是个厨师。 |
At least in the way that you and I understand it. |
至少在你我理解的方式之内他不是。 |
in the way:妨碍;挡道;
|
He's a biologist at Veta La Palma . |
他是一个生物学家 在薇塔拉帕尔马。 |
Veta:n.高山病; Palma:n.帕尔马(西班牙巴利阿里群岛首府);
|
It's a fish farm in the southwestern corner of Spain. |
他是个位于西班牙西南角的养鱼场。 |
fish farm:n.养鱼场;
|
It's at the tip of the Guadalquivir river. |
他就在高达尔克维尔河的尖部。 |
tip:n.小窍门,小费;v.给…小费;使倾斜;
|
Until the 1980s, the farm was in the hands of the Argentinians. |
直到上个世纪80年代, 这个渔场是阿根廷人管辖的。 |
in the hands of:由…掌握;在…掌握中;
|
They raised beef cattle on what was essentially wetlands . |
他们在这里养牛 那个时候这里基本上是湿地。 |
essentially:adv.本质上;本来; wetlands:n.湿地(wetland的复数形式);沼泽地;塘地;
|
They did it by draining the land. |
当时他们把水抽走。 |
draining:v.排空;(使)流光;放干;喝光;喝干;(drain的现在分词)
|
They built this intricate series of canals, and they pushed water off the land and out into the river. |
然后建造一系列复杂的运河, 他们接着把这里的水排入河流。 |
intricate:adj.复杂的;错综的,缠结的; series:n.系列,连续;[电]串联;级数;丛书;
|
Well, they couldn't make it work, not economically . |
但是,他们没有成功, 我是指经济方面。 |
economically:adv.经济地;在经济上;节俭地;
|
And ecologically , it was a disaster . |
而且对周围的环境造成了巨大的灾难。 |
ecologically:adv.从生态学的观点看; disaster:n.灾难,灾祸;不幸;
|
It killed like 90 percent of the birds, which, for this place, is a lot of birds. |
周围差不多90%的鸟类都消失了, 而在这个地区那些是很多的鸟。 |
And so in 1982, a Spanish company with an environmental conscience purchased the land. |
到了1982年, 一家具有环保意识的的西班牙公司 购买了这块地。 |
conscience:n.道德心,良心; purchased:v.买;购买;采购;(purchase的过去式和过去分词)
|
What did they do? |
他们做过什么? |
They reversed the flow of water. |
他们逆转了水流的方向。 |
reversed:v.颠倒; (reverse的过去分词和过去式)
|
They literally flipped the switch. |
他们基本上是搬动卡关。 |
literally:adv.按字面:字面上:确实地: flipped:v.(使)快速翻转;按(开关);轻掷;(flip的过去分词和过去式)
|
Instead of pushing water out, they used the channels to pull water back in. |
代替排水, 他们用这个水渠来把水引进来。 |
They flooded the canals. |
他们用水填满了这个运河。 |
They created a 27,000 acre fish farm -- bass , mullet, shrimp , eel -- and in the process, Miguel, and this company, completely reversed the ecological destruction. |
然后建立了一个27000英亩的渔场-- 鲈鱼,梭鱼, 虾,鳗鱼 - 在这个工程中,米格尔,还有这个公司, 完全挽救了这次生态灾难。 |
bass:n.鲈鱼;男低音;低音部;椴树;adj.低音的; shrimp:n.虾;小虾;矮小的人;vi.捕虾;adj.有虾的;虾制的;
|
The farm's incredible . |
这个渔场太了不起了。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
I mean, you've never seen anything like this. |
我的意思是说,你从没见过类似的地方。 |
You stare out at a horizon that is a million miles away, and all you see are flooded canals and this thick, rich marshland . |
我看着地平线 它是那么的广阔, 引入您视野的都是被注满水的河道 和这个富饶的沼泽湿地 |
stare:v.凝视;盯着看;注视;n.凝视; horizon:n.地平线;(欲望、知识或兴趣的)范围; marshland:n.沼泽地,沼泽地区;
|
I was there not long ago with Miguel. |
不久前,我和米格尔去过那儿。 |
He's an amazing guy, three parts Charles Darwin and one part Crocodile Dundee. |
他是个了不起的人, ?是达尔文,?是鳄鱼邓迪。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Okay? There we are slogging through the wetlands, and I'm panting and sweating, got mud up to my knees, and Miguel's calmly conducting a biology lecture . |
我们进入了湿地, 而我是气喘吁吁汗流浃背,淤泥没到了我的膝盖, 还有米格尔静静讲述的生物讲义。 |
slogging:v.埋头苦干;坚持不懈地做;顽强地走;(slog的现在分词) panting:v.脉动;晃动(pant的ing形式);adj.喘气的;n.气促;脉动; calmly:adv.冷静地;平静地;安静地; conducting:v.组织;安排;实施;指挥;引导;导游(conduct的现在分词) biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学; lecture:n.演讲;讲座;讲课;谴责;v.开讲座;讲授;讲课;指责;告诫
|
Here, he's pointing out a rare Black-Shouldered Kite. |
这儿,他指向一只罕见的黑肩鸢。 |
Now, he's mentioning the mineral needs of phytoplankton . |
这是,他提到可以满足矿物质需求的浮游植物。 |
mineral:n.矿物;矿物质;汽水;adj.矿物(性)的;含矿物的;无机的; phytoplankton:n.[植]浮游植物(群落);
|
And here, here he sees a grouping pattern that reminds him of the Tanzanian Giraffe. |
还有这,他看到一组图案 让人联想起坦桑尼亚长颈鹿。 |
reminds:v.提醒;使想起;(remind的第三人称单数)
|
It turns out, Miguel spent the better part of his career in the Mikumi National Park in Africa. |
结果,米格尔曾经花了很长时间工作在 非洲的米库米国家公园。 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; National Park:n.国家公园;
|
I asked him how he became such an expert on fish. |
我问他是怎么 成为一位鱼类专家的。 |
He said, "Fish? I didn't know anything about fish. |
他说: “鱼?我不了解他们。 |
I'm an expert in relationships." |
我只是一个关系专家。” |
And then he's off launching into more talk about rare birds and algaes and strange aquatic plants. |
然后他发起了更多的对话 都是有关于稀有鸟类和藻类 还有特殊的水生植物。 |
launching:n.发射;开办;起飞;v.开始从事,发起,发动;(launch的现在分词) aquatic:adj.水生的;水栖的;在水中或水面进行的;n.水上运动;水生植物或动物;
|
And don't get me wrong, that was really fascinating , you know, the biotic community unplugged , kind of thing. |
请不要误解我,那样的谈话真的是引人入胜, 关于生物群落一类的事情。 |
fascinating:adj.极有吸引力的;迷人的;v.深深吸引;迷住;(fascinate的现在分词) biotic:adj.生物的;有关生命的; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; unplugged:adj.不插电的(用原音乐器); vt.拔掉…的电源插头; (unplug的过去式和过去分词)
|
It's great, but I was in love. |
这都很好,但是我恋爱了。 |
And my head was swooning over that overcooked piece of delicious fish I had the night before. |
我脑中始终惦记着那条 我前一晚品尝过被过度烹饪的美味的鱼。 |
swooning:v.痴迷;对(某人)神魂颠倒;昏倒;(swoon的现在分词)
|
So I interrupted him. I said, "Miguel, what makes your fish taste so good?" |
所以我中断了他。我说, “米格尔,什么使你的鱼那么好吃? |
interrupted:v.插嘴; adj.被阻止的,中断的; (interrupt的过去分词和过去式)
|
He pointed at the algae . |
他指向藻类。 |
algae:n.[植]藻类;[植]海藻;
|
'"I know, dude , the algae, the phytoplankton, the relationships, it's amazing. |
“我知道,兄弟,藻类,浮游植物, 关系,这些都很神奇。 |
dude:n.男人,小伙子;(非正式)花花公子;
|
But what are your fish eating? |
但是你的鱼吃什么? |
What's the feed conversion ratio?" |
饲料转换率是多少??” |
Well, he goes on to tell me it's such a rich system, that the fish are eating what they'd be eating in the wild. |
然后他继续告诉我 这是一个很富饶的系统, 这些鱼吃的就是它们在野外吃的东西。 |
The plant biomass , the phytoplankton, the zooplankton , it's what feeds the fish. |
植物的生物质,浮游植物, 浮游生物,都是鱼的饲料。 |
biomass:n.(单位面积或体积内的)[生态]生物量; zooplankton:n.浮游动物;
|
The system is so healthy, it's totally self-renewing. |
这个系统非常健康, 它完全是自我更新的。 |
There is no feed. |
没有任何饲料。 |
Ever heard of a farm that doesn't feed its animals? |
听说过一个不喂动物饲料的农场吗? |
Later that day, I was driving around this property with Miguel, and I asked him, I said, "For a place that seems so natural," |
那天晚些时候,我和米格尔开着车在周围兜风, 我问他,“这样一个看起来如此自然的地方,” |
unlike like any farm I'd ever been at, "how do you measure success?" |
不像其它任何一个我曾经见过的农场, “你如何衡量成功?” |
At that moment, it was as if a film director called for a set change. |
就在那时,仿佛有一位 电影导演突然要求改变场景。 |
And we rounded the corner and saw the most amazing sight, thousands and thousands of pink flamingos , a literal pink carpet for as far as you could see. |
我们转过弯 看到最美的画面, 成千上万的粉色火烈鸟, 可以说是一张粉色的地毯。 |
flamingos:n.火烈鸟;火鹤(flamingo的复数); carpet:n.地毯;v.用地毯铺(房间的)地板; as far as:至于…;
|
'"That's success," he said. |
他说,“那就是成功。” |
'"Look at their bellies , pink. |
“看他们的腹部,粉色的。 |
bellies:n.腹部; v.张满; (belly的第三人称单数和复数)
|
They're feasting ." |
他们正在享受盛宴。” |
feasting:v.尽情享用(美味佳肴);(feast的现在分词)
|
Feasting? I was totally confused . |
盛宴?我完全迷惑了。 |
confused:adj.困惑的; v.使糊涂; (confuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
I said, "Miguel, aren't they feasting on your fish?" |
我说,“米格尔,他们的盛宴不正是你的鱼吗?” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"Yes," he said. |
“正是, 他说。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
'"We lose 20 percent of our fish and fish eggs to birds. |
“鸟类会吃掉我们20%的鱼 还有鱼卵。 |
Well, last year, this property had 600,000 birds on it, more than 250 different species . |
而且,去年,这个渔场 有600000只鸟, 超过250个不同的种群。 |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类;
|
It's become, today, the largest and one of the most important private bird sanctuaries in all of Europe." |
今天,这里已经成为最大的 而且是全欧洲最重要的 私有鸟类自然保护区之一。 |
sanctuaries:n.圣殿(sanctuary的复数);
|
I said, "Miguel, isn't a thriving bird population like the last thing you want on a fish farm?" |
我说,“米格尔,这么多的鸟类数量 不是一个渔场最不想要到的吗?” |
thriving:v.兴旺发达;繁荣;旺盛;茁壮成长;(thrive的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
He shook his head, no. |
不,他摇摇头。 |
He said, "We farm extensively , not intensively . |
他说, “我们是广义上的养殖, 不是刻意的。 |
extensively:adv.广阔地;广大地; intensively:adv.强烈地;集中地;
|
This is an ecological network. |
这是一个生态网络。 |
The flamingos eat the shrimp. |
这些火烈鸟吃掉虾。 |
The shrimp eat the phytoplankton. |
虾吃浮游动物。 |
So the pinker the belly , the better the system." |
所以他们的肚子上粉色越鲜艳, 代表这个系统越好。” |
belly:n.腹部;胃;食欲;v.涨满;鼓起;
|
Okay, so let's review. |
好的,让我们重新审视一下。 |
A farm that doesn't feed its animals, and a farm that measures its success on the health of its predators . |
一个农场不给它的动物喂食, 而且它衡量自己的成功是 根据它的天敌。 |
predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
|
A fish farm, but also a bird sanctuary . |
一个渔场,同时也是个鸟类庇护所。 |
sanctuary:n.避难所;至圣所;耶路撒冷的神殿;
|
Oh, and by the way , those flamingos, they shouldn't even be there in the first place . |
而且,顺便说一句,那些火烈鸟, 它们本不应该在那里。 |
by the way:顺便说一下; in the first place:首先;起初;
|
They brood in a town 150 miles away, where the soil conditions are better for building nests. |
它们在城里繁殖 而且是在150英里以外的, 那里的土壤状况 更加适合做巢。 |
brood:vt.孵;沉思;n.一窝;一伙;
|
Every morning, they fly 150 miles into the farm. |
每天早上,它们飞行 150英里来到这个渔场。 |
And every evening, they fly 150 miles back. |
到了晚上,他们在飞行150英里回家。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
They do that because they're able to follow the broken white line of highway A92. |
他们这样做是因为他们能顺着 A92号高速公路 的白线。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
No kidding . |
没开玩笑。 |
No kidding:说真的,不要开玩笑;
|
I was imagining a march of the penguins thing, so I looked at Miguel. |
我一直在脑海中想象类似【帝企鹅日记】的事, 我看着米格尔。 |
penguins:n.企鹅;(penguin的复数)
|
I said, "Miguel, do they fly 150 miles to the farm, and then do they fly 150 miles back at night? |
我说,“米格尔,它们飞行 150英里来渔场, 然后它们晚上再 飞150英里回去吗? |
Do they do that for the children?" |
它们这么做是为了孩子吗?” |
He looked at me like I had just quoted a Whitney Houston song. |
他看着我就像是我刚刚引用了惠特尼休斯顿的歌。 |
quoted:v.引用;引述;举例说明;开价;(quote的过去分词和过去式) Houston:n.休斯顿(美国得克萨斯州港市);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
He said, "No. They do it because the food's better." |
他说,“不,他们这么做因为这里的食物更好。” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I didn't mention the skin of my beloved fish, which was delicious, and I don't like fish skin. |
我还没有提到我最爱的鱼的皮吧, 真的是很美味,而且我通常不喜欢鱼皮。 |
beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友;
|
I don't like it seared . I don't like it crispy . |
我通常不喜欢烤的。我也不喜欢脆的。 |
seared:v.烧灼;灼伤;烤焦;轻煎;(sear的过去分词和过去式) crispy:adj.酥脆的;易碎的;干净利落的;生气勃勃的;
|
It's that acrid , tar-like flavor. |
它有辛辣,像柏油那样的味道。 |
acrid:adj.辛辣的;苦的;刻薄的;
|
I almost never cook with it. |
我从不把它和鱼一起做。 |
Yet, when I tasted it at that restaurant in southern Spain, it tasted not at all like fish skin. |
但是,当我在西班牙南部的那个餐馆尝到它的时候, 尝起来不像是鱼皮。 |
not at all:毫无;一点也不;不用谢;
|
It tasted sweet and clean like you were taking a bite of the ocean. |
它尝起来微甜而且干净 就像你尝了一口海洋自然的味道。 |
I mentioned that to Miguel, and he nodded. |
我向米格尔提到我的想法,他点点头。 |
He said, "The skin acts like a sponge . |
他说,“鱼皮的作用就像是海绵。 |
sponge:v.抹掉;用海绵擦拭;讨得;n.海绵;海绵状物;
|
It's the last defense before anything enters the body. |
它是阻止任何物质进入到体内的最后的防线。 |
It evolved to soak up impurities ." |
它的作用是吸收杂质。” |
evolved:v.(使)逐渐形成;进化;进化形成;(evolve的过去分词和过去式) soak:v.浸泡;浸湿;浸透;湿透;n.浸泡;浸渍;湿透;洗澡; impurities:n.杂质(impurity的复数);
|
And then he added, "But our water has no impurities." |
然后他继续说, “但是我们的水没有杂质.” |
Okay. A farm that doesn't feed its fish. |
好的。一个渔厂不喂它的鱼。 |
A farm that measures its success by the success of its predators. |
一个渔场衡量它的成功 是依照它天敌的成功。 |
And then I realized when he says, a farm that has no impurities, he made a big understatement , because the water that flows through that farm comes in from the Guadalquivir river. |
然后我意识到当他说, 一个渔场没有杂质, 他轻描淡写的说, 因为在渔场中流过的水 来自于高达尔克维尔河。 |
understatement:n.保守的陈述;不充分的陈述;有保留的陈述;
|
It's a river that carries with it all the things that rivers tend to carry these days, chemical contaminants , pesticide runoff . |
那条河中含有 现在所有的一条河里都有的东西, 化学污染物, 农药残留。 |
chemical:n.化学制品,化学药品;adj.化学的; contaminants:n.[环境]污染物;污垢物(contaminant的复数); pesticide:n.杀虫剂; runoff:n.[水文]径流;决赛;流走的东西;adj.决胜的;
|
And when it works its way through the system and leaves, the water is cleaner than when it entered. |
然后当它进入这个系统 之后离开时, 水质变得比来时更干净。 |
The system is so healthy, it purifies the water. |
这个系统很卫生,它可以过滤这儿的水。 |
purifies:vt.净化;使纯净;vi.净化;变纯净;
|
So, not just a farm that doesn't feed its animals, not just a farm that measures its success by the health of its predators, but a farm that's literally a water purification plant, and not just for those fish, but for you and me as well. |
所以,这个渔场不只是不喂动物, 不只是衡量它的成功 根据天敌的健康状况, 但是是一个渔场基本上还是个水净化厂, 而且不仅仅是为那些鱼, 更是为了你和我。 |
purification:n.净化;提纯;涤罪;
|
Because when that water leaves, it dumps out into the Atlantic . |
因为当水离开这里时,它会流入大西洋。 |
dumps:n.废物,垃圾场(dump的复数);忧郁;v.倾倒(dump的单三形式); Atlantic:adj.大西洋的;巨人阿特拉斯的;n.大西洋;
|
A drop in the ocean , I know, but I'll take it, and so should you, because this love story, however romantic, is also instructive . |
我知道,这个作用是十分微薄的, 但是我很重视它,而且你们应该也是, 因为这个爱情故事, 不但浪漫, 而且有教育意义。 |
A drop in the ocean:ph.沧海一粟;九牛一毛;冰山一角; instructive:adj.有益的;教育性的;
|
You might say it's a recipe for the future of good food, whether we're talking about bass or beef cattle. |
你也许会说它是未来 美食的食谱, 不管是我们在说鲈鱼还是牛肉。 |
recipe:n.食谱;方法;诀窍;烹饪法;
|
What we need now is a radically new conception of agriculture, one in which the food actually tastes good. |
我们现在需要的是 一个全新的农业概念, 一种真正的美食。 |
radically:adv.根本上;彻底地;以激进的方式; conception:n.怀孕;概念;设想;开始;
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
But for a lot people, that's a bit too radical. |
但是对很多人来说, 那太极端了。 |
We're not realists , us foodies . |
我们不是现实主义者,我们的美食家。 |
realists:n.现实主义者;实在论者; foodies:n.美食家(foodie的复数);
|
We're lovers . |
我们是爱人。 |
lovers:n.情人(lover的复数形式);
|
We love farmers' markets. |
我们爱农产品市场。 |
We love small family farms. |
我们爱小型的家庭式农场。 |
We talk about local food. |
我们谈论区域性食品。 |
We eat organic . |
我们吃有机食品。 |
organic:adj.有机的;不使用化肥的;绿色的;有机物的;n.分子有机体;
|
And when you suggest these are the things that will insure the future of good food, someone somewhere stands up and says, "Hey guy, I love pink flamingos, but how are you going to feed the world?" |
然后当你建议这些食品 会保证未来的美食, 某人在某地站起来说, 我说哥们,我爱粉色的火烈鸟, 但是你怎么让这个世界填饱肚子? |
insure:v.投保;给…保险;接受投保;承保;
|
How are you going to feed the world? |
你怎么为这个世界填饱肚子? |
Can I be honest? |
我可以坦诚点吗? |
I don't love that question. |
我不喜欢你的问题。 |
No, not because we already produce enough calories to more than feed the world. |
不,不只是因为我们已经生产 了远远超出我们这个世界需要的卡路里。 |
calories:n.[物]卡路里(热量单位,calorie的复数);
|
One billion people will go hungry today. |
今天十亿人还是在饿着肚子。 |
One billion -- that's more than ever before -- because of gross inequalities in distribution , not tonnage . |
十亿--那比以前任何时候都多-- 根本原因在于总体上的分配不平衡, 不是按吨位算的。 |
gross:adj.总共的;粗野的;恶劣的;显而易见的;v.总共收入;n.总额,总数; inequalities:n.[数]不等式;不均等,不平衡;不平坦(inequality的复数形式); distribution:n.分布;分配;分发;分销; tonnage:n.吨位,载重量;船舶总吨数,排水量;
|
No, I don't love this question because it's determined the logic of our food system for the last 50 years. |
我不喜欢这个问题的真正原因是因为他拟定了一个食物系统的 逻辑,一个存在于过去的50年中的逻辑。 |
determined:adj.决定了的:v.决定;(determine的过去分词和过去式)
|
Feed grain to herbivores , pesticides to monocultures , chemicals to soil, chicken to fish, and all along agribusiness has simply asked, "If we're feeding more people more cheaply, how terrible could that be?" |
把谷物喂给食草动物, 把农药给单品种作物,化学品给土壤, 把鸡给鱼, 然后各类农业可以 简单的问, “如果我们用更便宜的方法养活更多的人, 有什么不对的呢?” |
grain:n.粮食; v.把…作成细粒; herbivores:n.[动]食草动物,植食动物;食草者(herbivore的复数形式); pesticides:n.[农药]农药;[农药]杀虫剂(pesticide的复数); monocultures:n.(美)[农]单作;(monocultures是monoculture的复数); chemicals:n.化学制品;化学品;(chemical的复数) agribusiness:n.农业综合企业(包括农业设备,用品的制造,农产品的产销,制造加工等);
|
That's been the motivation , it's been the justification , it's been the business plan of American agriculture. |
那就是一个动机。 它已经变得合乎情理了。 它是一个商业计划 属于美国农业的。 |
motivation:n.动机;积极性;推动; justification:n.理由;辩护;认为有理,认为正当;释罪;
|
We should call it what it is, a business in liquidation , a business that's quickly eroding ecological capital that makes that very production possible. |
我们应该指出它的真面目, 一个在清算的生意, 一个迅速侵蚀的生意 生态资本使得这种生产成为可能。 |
liquidation:n.清算;偿还;液化;清除; eroding:v.侵蚀;磨损(erode的ing形式);adj.侵蚀的;
|
That's not a business, and it isn't agriculture. |
那不是一个生意, 它也不是农业。 |
Our bread basket is threatened today, not because of diminishing supply, but because of diminishing resources . |
今天我们的食品正在受到威胁, 不是因为正在递减的供给, 而是因为正在递减的资源, |
diminishing:v.减少; adj.逐渐缩小的; resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
Not by the latest combine and tractor invention, but by fertile land; not by pumps , but by fresh water; not by chainsaws , but by forests; and not by fishing boats and nets, but by fish in the sea. |
不是靠最新的嫁接技术与拖拉机的发明, 而是肥沃的土壤, 不是靠水泵,而是靠新鲜的水源, 不是靠电锯,而是靠森林, 不是靠渔船和渔网,而是靠海洋里的鱼。 |
fertile:adj.富饶的,肥沃的;能生育的; pumps:n.[机]泵; v.用泵送; chainsaws:链锯(chainsaw的复数);
|
Want to feed the world? |
想要喂饱这个世界? |
Let's start by asking: How are we going to feed ourselves? |
让我们开始问:我们怎么去喂养我们自己? |
Or better, How can we create conditions that enable every community to feed itself? |
或者更好的,我们怎么去建立一种环境 它可以让每一个团体 去养活自己? |
enable:v.使能够;使有机会;使成为可能;使可行;
|
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
To do that, don't look at the agribusiness model for the future. |
要做到那样, 不要指望未来沿用现在的农业模型。 |
It's really old, and it's tired. |
它已经过时了,而且很疲劳。 |
It's high on capital, chemistry, and machines, and it's never produced anything really good to eat. |
因为它过度依赖资本,化学,和机械, 而且它生产不出来真正的好食品。 |
Instead, let's look to the ecological model. |
取而代之,让我们看看生态模式。 |
That's the one that relies on two billion years of on-the-job experience. |
它存在了20亿年 同时具有实战经验。 |
relies:信任; on-the-job:adj.在职的;
|
Look to Miguel -- farmers like Miguel. |
看看米格尔, 看看像米格尔这样的农民, |
Farms that aren't worlds unto themselves; farms that restore instead of deplete; farms that farm extensively instead of just intensively; farmers that are not just producers, but experts in relationships. |
不只属于他们自己的农场, 它自我恢复,而不是消耗, 广义的农场 取代只是狭义的, 农民不再只是生产者, 而是关系专家, |
restore:v.恢复;修复;恢复(某种情况或感受);使复原;
|
Because they're the ones that are experts in flavor too. |
因为他们 同时也是口味上的专家。 |
And if I'm going to be really honest, they're a better chef than I'll ever be. |
而且如果要我说实话, 他们是比我更好的厨师。 |
You know, I'm okay with that, because if that's the future of good food, it's going to be delicious. |
你们知道,我完全认同这样的事, 因为如果未来的优质食品是这样的,它们肯定会是非常美味的。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢你们。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声)? |