|
|
DamonHorowitz_2011X-_道德操作系统_
|
Power. |
能力 |
That is the word that comes to mind. |
是我们时时在想的 |
We're the new technologists . |
我们是新时代的技术人员 |
technologists:n.技术人员(technologist的复数);[劳经]技术专家;
|
We have a lot of data, so we have a lot of power. |
我们有很多信息,这样我们就有能力 |
How much power do we have? |
多少能力呢? |
Scene from a movie: " Apocalypse Now" -- great movie. |
想像电影“现代启示录”, 这电影绝了 |
Apocalypse:n.启示;天启;
|
We've got to get our hero, Captain Willard, to the mouth of the Nung River so he can go pursue Colonel Kurtz. |
里面有个英雄,卫尔沃德上尉,来到怒河的入海口 去追踪科特兹上校 |
pursue:v.继续;从事;追赶;纠缠; Colonel:n.(陆军、海军陆战队或美国空军)上校;
|
The way we're going to do this is fly him in and drop him off. |
想像他飞到那里,下飞机 |
So the scene: the sky is filled with this fleet of helicopters carrying him in. |
想像这个情景: 天空布满了陪他来的直升飞机 |
fleet:n.舰队; v.浅; v.掠过; adj.跑得快的;
|
And there's this loud, thrilling music in the background, this wild music. |
背景音乐震人心肺 非常野性 |
thrilling:adj.惊心动魄的; v.使非常兴奋; (thrill的现在分词)
|
? Dum da ta da dum ? |
? Dum da ta da dum ? |
? Dum da ta da dum ? |
? Dum da ta da dum ? |
? Da ta da da ? |
? Da ta da da ? |
That's a lot of power. |
充满了力量 |
That's the kind of power I feel in this room. |
这就是我在这个房间里感觉到的能量 |
That's the kind of power we have because of all of the data that we have. |
这就是我们拥有的能量 就因为我们拥有信息 |
Let's take an example. |
举个例子 |
What can we do with just one person's data? |
用个人信息 我们能做什么呢? |
What can we do with that guy's data? |
用这位先生的信息 我们能做什么? |
I can look at your financial records. |
我可以查看你的财政历史 |
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的;
|
I can tell if you pay your bills on time. |
看你是不是按时付账单 |
I know if you're good to give a loan to. |
来决定给不给你贷款 |
I can look at your medical records; I can see if your pump is still pumping -- see if you're good to offer insurance to. |
我可以浏览你的医疗病历,看你的心脏好不好 来决定给不给你保险 |
pumping:v.用泵输送;涌出;奔流;快速摇动;(pump的现在分词) insurance:n.保险;保险业;保险费;保费;adj.胜券在握的;
|
I can look at your clicking patterns. |
我可以跟踪你上网的习惯 |
When you come to my website, I actually know what you're going to do already because I've seen you visit millions of websites before. |
当你访问我的网站时,我已经知道你会怎么做了 因为我已经看到你以前是怎么访问成千上万个网站的 |
And I'm sorry to tell you, you're like a poker player, you have a tell. |
我不得不说 你就像是个赌客,你能被看透 |
I can tell with data analysis what you're going to do before you even do it. |
就凭你的信息我能看透你将会做什么 在你还没做之前 |
analysis:n.分析;分解;验定;
|
I know what you like. I know who you are, and that's even before I look at your mail or your phone. |
我知道你喜欢什么,我知道你是谁 在我看你的邮件之前 看你的电话之前 |
Those are the kinds of things we can do with the data that we have. |
现今我们能这样做了 凭着我们有的信息 |
But I'm not actually here to talk about what we can do. |
但我来这里不是谈我们能做什么 |
I'm here to talk about what we should do. |
我是来谈谈我们应该做什么 |
What's the right thing to do? |
如何善用信息? |
Now I see some puzzled looks like, "Why are you asking us what's the right thing to do? |
我看到一些人迷惑了 好像在想:“为什么你问我们应该如何善用信息? |
puzzled:adj.困惑的;茫然的;搞糊涂的;
|
We're just building this stuff . Somebody else is using it." |
我们只管把技术推出来,用是别人的事情。” |
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
|
Fair enough . |
就算你对 |
Fair enough:同意或接受但有所保留;
|
But it brings me back. |
但这正是我要说的 |
I think about World War II -- some of our great technologists then, some of our great physicists , studying nuclear fission and fusion -- just nuclear stuff. |
想想二次世界大战 很多我们最优秀的技术人员 最优秀的物理学家 在研究核裂变和核聚变 都是关于核的 |
physicists:n.物理学家;机械唯物论者(physicist的复数); nuclear fission:n.核裂变; fusion:n.融合;熔化;熔接;融合物;[物]核聚变;
|
We gather together these physicists in Los Alamos to see what they'll build. |
我们把这些科学家请到洛斯阿拉莫斯国家实验室 来看看他们想用这些技术来做什么 |
Alamos:n.偶氮磷;
|
We want the people building the technology thinking about what we should be doing with the technology. |
我们希望,人们能够在发明新技术时 时时想着我们应该怎么用这些技术 |
technology:n.技术;工艺;术语;
|
So what should we be doing with that guy's data? |
话说回来,我们应该怎么用这位先生的信息? |
Should we be collecting it, gathering it, so we can make his online experience better? |
我们应不应该收集他的信息 来使他的上网冲浪的体验更好? |
So we can make money? |
我们应不应该用这些信息来赚钱? |
So we can protect ourselves if he was up to no good ? |
应不应该用这些信息来自我保护 以防万一他干坏事? |
up to no good:不怀好意;图谋不轨;惹事生非;
|
Or should we respect his privacy , protect his dignity and leave him alone? |
还是我们应该尊重他的隐私 为他保留尊严,不要烦他? |
privacy:n.隐私;秘密;隐居;隐居处; dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
|
Which one is it? |
哪一个办法更好? |
How should we figure it out? |
怎么做决定? |
I know: crowdsource . Let's crowdsource this. |
我知道:集思广益。让我们来听听大家的意见 |
crowdsource:vi.众包,众包指的是一个公司或机构把过去由员工执行的工作任务,以自由自愿的形式外包给非特定的(而且通常是大型的)大众网络的做法;
|
So to get people warmed up, let's start with an easy question -- something I'm sure everybody here has an opinion about: iPhone versus Android . |
先来个热身题 简单的问题—— 这个问题我相信大家都有倾向 苹果电话还是谷歌Android电话? |
versus:prep.对;与...相对;对抗; Android:n.机器人;安卓操作系统;
|
Let's do a show of hands -- iPhone. |
让我们举手表决,支持苹果的 |
Uh huh. |
恩 |
Android. |
现在支持谷歌Android的 |
You'd think with a bunch of smart people we wouldn't be such suckers just for the pretty phones. |
原以为这里都是聪明人 不会只为了漂亮徒有其表而盲目消费。 |
a bunch of:一群;一束;一堆; suckers:n.吸咀(sucker复数);
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Next question, a little bit harder. |
下一个问题, 有点难 |
Should we be collecting all of that guy's data to make his experiences better and to protect ourselves in case he's up to no good? |
我们应不应该收集这位先生的信息 来让他的体验更好 同时来保护我们自身,万一他干坏事? |
Or should we leave him alone? |
还是我们应该不管他? |
Collect his data. |
支持收集信息的 |
Leave him alone. |
支持不管他的 |
You're safe. It's fine. |
(这位先生)你是安全的 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Okay, last question -- harder question -- when trying to evaluate what we should do in this case, should we use a Kantian deontological moral framework, or should we use a Millian consequentialist one? |
现在,最后一个问题—— 更难一点—— 当我们试图决定 我们应该怎么做的时候 是应该用康德的义务论道德框架, 还是用米利安的结果主义论? |
evaluate:v.评价;评估;估计; moral:n.寓意;品行;教益;adj.道德的;道义上的;道德上的;品行端正的;
|
Kant. |
支持康德的 |
Mill . |
支持米利安的 |
Mill:n.磨坊;工厂;磨粉机;面粉厂;v.磨成粉;
|
Not as many votes. |
没什么人知道哦。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Yeah, that's a terrifying result. |
这是个惊人的结果 |
terrifying:adj.令人恐惧的;骇人的;极大的;v.使害怕,使恐怖;(terrify的现在分词)
|
Terrifying, because we have stronger opinions about our hand-held devices than about the moral framework we should use to guide our decisions. |
惊人,因为我们关心 手持设备的电话 比关心道德理论更多 我们应该用这些理论来指导我们的决定 |
hand-held:adj.手提式的,便携式的; devices:n.[机][计]设备;[机]装置;[电子]器件(device的复数);
|
How do we know what to do with all the power we have if we don't have a moral framework? |
如何决定我们该怎么来使用我们所拥有的能力 如果我们连道德框架都没有? |
We know more about mobile operating systems, but what we really need is a moral operating system . |
我们对移动电话操作系统知道得越来越多 但是我们需要知道的是道德的操作系统 |
mobile:n.手机;汽车;移动电话;adj.活跃的;可动的; operating system:n.(计算机)操作系统;
|
What's a moral operating system? |
什么是道德操作系统? |
We all know right and wrong, right? |
我们知道什么是对,什么是错 |
You feel good when you do something right, you feel bad when you do something wrong. |
你做对了的时候,自我感觉挺好 如果你做错了你觉得自责 |
Our parents teach us that: praise with the good, scold with the bad. |
父母亲教导我们,奖对惩错 |
scold:v.责骂;训斥(孩子);n.高声骂人的人[妇女];
|
But how do we figure out what's right and wrong? |
但是怎么才能知道什么是对什么是错? |
And from day to day , we have the techniques that we use. |
尤其是当每天新技术都层出不穷 |
from day to day:一天天地; techniques:n.技巧;技艺;工艺;技术;(technique的复数)
|
Maybe we just follow our gut . |
说不定我们可以就靠本能 |
gut:n.勇气;肠道;内脏;v.损毁内部;取出…的内脏;adj.非理性的;本能的
|
Maybe we take a vote -- we crowdsource. |
说不定我们需要推选——群众意见集思广益 |
Or maybe we punt -- ask the legal department, see what they say. |
或者我们赌一把—— 问法律专家的意见,看他们怎么说 |
punt:n.踢悬空球;平底船;下赌注者;v.推掉工作;踢悬空球;弃踢 legal:adj.法律的;合法的;法定的;
|
In other words, it's kind of random , kind of ad hoc , how we figure out what we should do. |
也就是说,我们作出决定的办法 很随机 很即兴 |
random:adj.[数]随机的;任意的;胡乱的;n.随意;adv.胡乱地; ad hoc:na.特别是;特别的;
|
And maybe, if we want to be on surer footing, what we really want is a moral framework that will help guide us there, that will tell us what kinds of things are right and wrong in the first place , and how would we know in a given situation what to do. |
或者,如果我们想更保险些 只想要一个好的道德框架,我们能用来自己弄明白的 能帮我们明辨对错 帮我们决定什么情况下做什么 |
in the first place:首先;起初;
|
So let's get a moral framework. |
让我们找到一个道德框架 |
We're numbers people, living by numbers. |
我们用很多数字,生活在数字中 |
How can we use numbers as the basis for a moral framework? |
怎么用数字 来建立一个道德框架? |
I know a guy who did exactly that. |
我知道一个人专门干这个的 |
A brilliant guy -- he's been dead 2,500 years. |
很聪明的人—— 2500年前就死了 |
Plato , that's right. |
柏拉图。对了 |
Plato:n.柏拉图(古希腊哲学家);
|
Remember him -- old philosopher ? |
还记得他?老哲学家? |
philosopher:n.哲学家;深思的人;善于思考的人;
|
You were sleeping during that class. |
在他的教学课上,你可能睡过去了。 |
And Plato, he had a lot of the same concerns that we did. |
柏拉图,他有很多我们有的担心 |
concerns:n.关注; v.使关心(concern的三单形式);
|
He was worried about right and wrong. |
他担心如何辨明是非 |
He wanted to know what is just. |
他希望知道怎么衡量 |
But he was worried that all we seem to be doing is trading opinions about this. |
他担心我们现在做的 不过是交换意见 |
He says something's just. She says something else is just. |
你一个主意我一个主意 |
It's kind of convincing when he talks and when she talks too. |
听起来都很有理 |
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
|
I'm just going back and forth; I'm not getting anywhere. |
我只是前瞻后顾,最后还是没结果 |
I don't want opinions; I want knowledge. |
我不需要意见,我需要的是真理 |
I want to know the truth about justice -- like we have truths in math. |
我需要知道什么是有关正义的真理-- 就像我们研究什么是数学的真理一样 |
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判;
|
In math, we know the objective facts. |
在数学中,我们使用客观的事实 |
objective:n.目标; adj.客观的;
|
Take a number, any number -- two. |
比如将一个数字,任何数字——二 |
Favorite number. I love that number. |
个人最爱 |
There are truths about two. |
二有一些事实可讲 |
If you've got two of something, you add two more, you get four. |
如果你有两个东西 你再加上两个,就是四个 |
That's true no matter what thing you're talking about. |
这是真理,不管你讨论的东西是什么 |
no matter what:不管什么…;
|
It's an objective truth about the form of two, the abstract form. |
这是关于二的客观真理 抽象性 |
abstract:n.摘要; adj.抽象的; vt.摘要; vi.做摘要;
|
When you have two of anything -- two eyes, two ears, two noses, just two protrusions -- those all partake of the form of two. |
当你有两个东西,任何东西——两只眼睛,两只耳朵,两个鼻子 或者仅仅是两个小突起—— 他们都是二的表现 |
protrusions:n.突出;突出物(protrusion的复数形式); partake:vi.分享;参与;分担;带有某种性质;vt.分担;分享;
|
They all participate in the truths that two has. |
都分享了关于二的事实 |
participate:v.参加;参与;
|
They all have two-ness in them. |
都有二在其中 |
And therefore, it's not a matter of opinion. |
所以,个人情绪没关系 |
What if , Plato thought, ethics was like math? |
如果柏拉图考虑 道德,就像数学一样,会怎么样? |
What if:如果…怎么办? ethics:n.伦理学;伦理观;道德标准;
|
What if there were a pure form of justice? |
如果真有纯粹的公正,会怎么样? |
What if there are truths about justice, and you could just look around in this world and see which things participated , partook of that form of justice? |
如果公正真有绝对的事实, 你可以环顾四周 看能用在什么上 什么东西有着绝对的公正,会怎么样? |
participated:v.参加;参与;(participate的过去式和过去分词) partook:v.分享(partake的过去式);
|
Then you would know what was really just and what wasn't. |
这样你就能知道什么是真的对,什么是真的错 |
It wouldn't be a matter of just opinion or just appearances . |
和事情的外表 和个人的观点都没有关系 |
appearances:n.露面;外观;出现;表面的迹象[征兆];(appearance的复数)
|
That's a stunning vision . |
这是个诱人的观点 |
stunning:adj.惊人的; v.使昏迷; (stun的现在分词) vision:n.视力;美景;幻象;想象力;v.想象;显现;梦见;
|
I mean, think about that. How grand. How ambitious . |
我是说,想象一下,多么壮观,多么充满雄心 |
ambitious:adj.野心勃勃的;有雄心的;热望的;炫耀的;
|
That's as ambitious as we are. |
这是我们最大的野心了 |
He wants to solve ethics. |
他希望解决道德的问题 |
He wants objective truths. |
他希望客观的事实 |
If you think that way, you have a Platonist moral framework. |
如果你这么想 你就有柏拉图式的道德观。 |
If you don't think that way, well, you have a lot of company in the history of Western philosophy , because the tidy idea, you know, people criticized it. |
如果你不这么认为 那你就在西方哲学史上有很多同僚 因为人们总爱挑剔这简明的观点。 |
philosophy:n.哲学;哲理;人生观; tidy:adj.整齐的:整洁的:v.使整洁: criticized:v.批评;挑剔;指责;评论;评价;(criticize的过去式和过去分词)
|
Aristotle , in particular , he was not amused . |
特别是亚里士多德,他就不买帐 |
Aristotle:n.亚里士多德; in particular:尤其,特别; amused:adj.好笑的;逗乐的;v.逗乐;逗笑;(使)娱乐;(amuse的过去分词和过去式)
|
He thought it was impractical . |
他觉得这不实际 |
impractical:adj.不切实际的,不现实的;不能实行的;
|
Aristotle said, "We should seek only so much precision in each subject as that subject allows." |
亚里士多德说:“我们看每个物体 都只能精确到这个物体允许的程度。” |
seek:v.寻求;寻找;谋求; precision:n.精度,[数]精密度;精确;adj.精密的,精确的;
|
Aristotle thought ethics wasn't a lot like math. |
亚里士多德认为道德不像是数学 |
He thought ethics was a matter of making decisions in the here-and-now using our best judgment to find the right path. |
他认为道德是我在当时当地 作出的最好的判断 从而引导我们的决定 |
judgment:n.判断;裁判;判决书;辨别力;
|
If you think that, Plato's not your guy. |
如果你这么想,柏拉图就不是你这边的了 |
But don't give up. |
但是别放弃 |
Maybe there's another way that we can use numbers as the basis of our moral framework. |
或者还有一条路 我们能用数字,作为我们道德观的基础。 |
How about this: |
这个怎么样: |
What if in any situation you could just calculate, look at the choices, measure out which one's better and know what to do? |
如果你能在任何情况下都算出 衡量所有的选择 算出怎么做更好,什么应该做? |
measure out:按量配给;
|
That sound familiar ? |
听起来熟悉是不是? |
familiar:adj.熟悉的;常见的;亲近的;n.常客;密友;
|
That's a utilitarian moral framework. |
这就是实用主义的道德观 |
utilitarian:adj.功利的;功利主义的;实利的;n.功利主义者;
|
John Stuart Mill was a great advocate of this -- nice guy besides -- and only been dead 200 years. |
约翰·斯图尔特·密尔是大支持者—— 很友善的一个人—— 可惜死了两百年了 |
Stuart:斯图亚特王室的; advocate:v.拥护;支持;提倡;n.支持者;提倡者;辩护律师;出庭辩护人; besides:adv.此外;而且;prep.除…之外;
|
So basis of utilitarianism -- |
所以实用主义的基础—— |
utilitarianism:n.功利主义;
|
I'm sure you're familiar at least. |
我详细你们都略知一二 |
The three people who voted for Mill before are familiar with this. |
刚才三个米尔的支持者肯定知道 |
But here's the way it works. |
我还是讲讲这个怎么运作的 |
What if morals , what if what makes something moral is just a matter of if it maximizes pleasure and minimizes pain? |
假如道德,道德的内涵 只是为了最大的享受 和最少的痛苦? |
morals:n.道德; maximizes:vt.取…最大值;对…极为重视;vi.尽可能广义地解释;达到最大值; minimizes:vt.使减到最少;小看,极度轻视;vi.最小化;
|
It does something intrinsic to the act. |
这在根本上决定了我们的行为 |
intrinsic:adj.本质的,固有的;
|
It's not like its relation to some abstract form. |
看起来和任何抽象的形式有关 |
It's just a matter of the consequences . |
只是一系列的必然结果 |
consequences:n.后果,结果;影响(consequence的复数);
|
You just look at the consequences and see if, overall , it's for the good or for the worse . |
你只看必然结果 看总的来说是好结果还是坏结果 |
overall:v.全部; n.外套; adj.全面的; for the worse:恶化;向坏的方面转化;
|
That would be simple. Then we know what to do. |
这看起来简单,然后我们就知道怎么做 |
Let's take an example. |
让我们看一个例子 |
Suppose I go up and I say, "I'm going to take your phone." |
假设我上前 说:“我要没收你的手机。” |
Suppose:v.推断:假定:假设:设想:
|
Not just because it rang earlier, but I'm going to take it because I made a little calculation. |
不仅仅是因为刚才你的手机响了 而是因为我刚算计了一下 |
I thought, that guy looks suspicious . |
我觉得,这个人看起来可疑 |
suspicious:adj.可疑的;怀疑的;多疑的;
|
And what if he's been sending little messages to Bin Laden 's hideout -- or whoever took over after Bin Laden -- and he's actually like a terrorist, a sleeper cell. |
说不定他是在给本拉登的藏身处发消息—— 或者是跟本拉登的接班人发消息—— 他看起来真像是恐怖分子,一个卧底 |
Laden:adj.负载的; vt.装载(等于lade); vi.装载(等于lade); v.装载(lade的过去分词); hideout:n.隐匿处; whoever:任何人:无论是谁: sleeper:n.卧车;卧铺;枕木;睡眠者;
|
I'm going to find that out, and when I find that out, |
我得把他揪出来,当我揪他时 |
I'm going to prevent a huge amount of damage that he could cause. |
我就能防止他将带来一个大危害 |
That has a very high utility to prevent that damage. |
防止这个危害的结果非常有意义 |
utility:n.公用事业;实用;实用程序;adj.多用途的;多效用的;
|
And compared to the little pain that it's going to cause -- because it's going to be embarrassing when I'm looking on his phone and seeing that he has a Farmville problem and that whole bit -- that's overwhelmed by the value of looking at the phone. |
和我的行为将带来的小小痛苦相比—— 因为在我检查他的手机的时候 要是看到他只是在玩线上游戏,是挺丢人的 但是这不抵 检查手机能带来的价值 |
compared:adj.比较的,对照的; v.相比; (compare的过去式和过去分词) embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词) overwhelmed:v.受打击,压倒;淹没;(overwhelm的过去分词和过去式)
|
If you feel that way, that's a utilitarian choice. |
如果你这么想 就是实用主义的选择 |
But maybe you don't feel that way either. |
可能你也并不赞同这个做法 |
Maybe you think, it's his phone. |
可能你会想,这是他的手机 |
It's wrong to take his phone because he's a person and he has rights and he has dignity, and we can't just interfere with that. |
拿他的手机是不对的 他是个人 他有人权,有尊严 我们不能干涉 |
interfere:v.干涉;干预;介入;
|
He has autonomy . |
他有自主权 |
autonomy:n.自治,自治权;
|
It doesn't matter what the calculations are. |
不管计算结果是什么 |
There are things that are intrinsically wrong -- like lying is wrong, like torturing innocent children is wrong. |
这个举动在本质上是错误的—— 就像撒谎是错误的 像是折磨无辜的孩童是错误的 |
intrinsically:adv.本质地;内在地;固有地; torturing:v.拷打;拷问;使痛苦;使苦恼;(torture的现在分词) innocent:adj.无辜的;无罪的;无知的;n.天真的人;笨蛋;
|
Kant was very good on this point, and he said it a little better than I'll say it. |
康德非常坚持这一点 他解释得更好一点 |
He said we should use our reason to figure out the rules by which we should guide our conduct , and then it is our duty to follow those rules. |
他说我们应该用我们自己的理由 来弄明白决定该怎么做的准则 接下来我们的责任是遵守这些准则 |
conduct:v.实施;执行;表现;引导;n.举止;管理方法;经营方式;实施办法;
|
It's not a matter of calculation. |
不是关于计算。 |
So let's stop. |
别再算了 |
We're right in the thick of it, this philosophical thicket . |
我们正在这错综复杂的哲学中间 |
philosophical:adj.哲学的(等于philosophic);冷静的; thicket:n.[林]灌木丛;丛林;错综复杂;
|
And this goes on for thousands of years, because these are hard questions, and I've only got 15 minutes. |
而且已经像这样上千年了 因为这些是很难的问题 我只有十五分钟 |
So let's cut to the chase . |
所以让我们直奔主题 |
cut to the chase:开门见山;提到关键问题;转入(或切入)正题;
|
How should we be making our decisions? |
我们应该怎么做决定? |
Is it Plato, is it Aristotle, is it Kant, is it Mill? |
是听从柏拉图,亚里士多德,康德,还是米尔? |
What should we be doing? What's the answer? |
我们该做什么?答案是什么? |
What's the formula that we can use in any situation to determine what we should do, whether we should use that guy's data or not? |
能在任何情况下计算出我们应该怎么做的 万灵的公式在哪里? 我们该还是不该用这位先生的数据? |
formula:n.公式; adj.(赛车)方程式的(指赛车要符合规定的体积,重量及汽缸容量等); determine:v.决定;确定;测定;查明;形成;影响;裁决;安排;
|
What's the formula? |
公式是什么? |
There's not a formula. |
没有公式 |
There's not a simple answer. |
没有简单明了的答案 |
Ethics is hard. |
道德观是很难的 |
Ethics requires thinking. |
道德观需要思想 |
And that's uncomfortable. |
这是不太容易的 |
I know; I spent a lot of my career in artificial intelligence , trying to build machines that could do some of this thinking for us, that could give us answers. |
我知道。在我的职业生涯中我花了很多时间 研究机器人 试图造出机器来替我们做决定 来给我们答案 |
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; artificial intelligence:n.人工智能;
|
But they can't. |
但是他们做不到 |
You can't just take human thinking and put it into a machine. |
你不能就拿人的思维方式 放在机器里 |
We're the ones who have to do it. |
我们要靠自己思考 |
Happily, we're not machines, and we can do it. |
好的方面是我们不是机器,我们能思考 |
Not only can we think, we must. |
不光能思考 我们必须思考 |
Hannah Arendt said, "The sad truth is that most evil done in this world is not done by people who choose to be evil. |
汉娜·阿伦特说过 “悲哀的是 世上大多数的罪恶 不是由有恶意的人 故意造成的 |
evil:adj.邪恶的;不幸的;有害的;讨厌的;n.罪恶,邪恶;不幸;
|
It arises from not thinking." |
而是人没有想清楚。” |
arises:v.出现;发生;站立;
|
That's what she called the " banality of evil." |
这就是她所谓的“平庸的罪恶” |
banality:n.平凡;陈腐;陈词滥调;
|
And the response to that is that we demand the exercise of thinking from every sane person. |
对策是 我们需要练习思考 每个平常人都要 |
response:n.响应;反应;回答; sane:adj.健全的;理智的;[临床]神志正常的;
|
So let's do that. Let's think. |
让我们来做吧,来思考 |
In fact, let's start right now. |
事实上,让我们现在就做 |
Every person in this room do this: think of the last time you had a decision to make where you were worried to do the right thing, where you wondered, "What should I be doing?" |
房间里每个人都这样做: 想像上一次你需要做一个决定的时候 当你担心不能做出正确的决定 当你怀疑:“到底该怎么做呢?” |
Bring that to mind, and now reflect on that and say, "How did I come up that decision? |
想象那个时刻 之后再想 “我当时是怎么做决定的?” |
reflect on:仔细考虑,思考;反省;回想,回顾;怀疑;
|
What did I do? Did I follow my gut? |
我做了什么?是随我意愿的么? |
Did I have somebody vote on it? Or did I punt to legal?" |
征求他人意见了么?征求法律意见了么? |
Or now we have a few more choices. |
现在我们有更多选择 |
'"Did I evaluate what would be the highest pleasure like Mill would? |
“我有没有像米尔会做的那样 衡量最大的享受? |
Or like Kant, did I use reason to figure out what was intrinsically right?" |
或者像康德,借助原因来弄明白什么是本质上对的?” |
Think about it. Really bring it to mind. This is important. |
想象一下,真的深入其中,这是很重要的 |
It is so important we are going to spend 30 seconds of valuable TEDTalk time doing nothing but thinking about this. |
有多重要 我们将会用三十秒,非常宝贵的TED的时间 什么也不做,就思考 |
valuable:adj.有价值的;贵重的;可估价的;n.贵重物品;
|
Are you ready? Go. |
准备好了么?开始 |
Stop. Good work. |
结束,不错 |
What you just did, that's the first step towards taking responsibility for what we should do with all of our power. |
你刚做的 是向着为我们使用我们的能力 负责任迈出的第一步 |
Now the next step -- try this. |
现在第二步——试试这个 |
Go find a friend and explain to them how you made that decision. |
找到一个朋友,向他们解释 你是怎么做决定的 |
Not right now. Wait till I finish talking. |
不是现在,等我讲完了之后。 |
Do it over lunch. |
午饭的时候做 |
And don't just find another technologist friend; find somebody different than you. |
别找另一个搞技术的朋友 找一个和你很不同的 |
different than:不同于;
|
Find an artist or a writer -- or, heaven forbid , find a philosopher and talk to them. |
艺术家或者作家—— 或者,哲学家,和他们谈 |
forbid:v.禁止;不准;不允许;(正式)严禁;
|
In fact, find somebody from the humanities . |
事实上找个人文主义者谈 |
humanities:n.人文学科(humanity的复数);
|
Why? Because they think about problems differently than we do as technologists. |
为什么?因为他们考虑问题的角度 和我们技术人员是很不一样的 |
Just a few days ago, right across the street from here, there was hundreds of people gathered together. |
仅仅几天前,街对面 成百上千人聚集起来 |
It was technologists and humanists at that big BiblioTech Conference . |
都是技术人员和人文主义者 在开一个大的研讨会 |
humanists:n.人道主义者;人类学者,人文学者;人文主义者;adj.人文主义的;人道主义的; Conference:n.会议;研讨会;商讨会;体育协会(或联合会)
|
And they gathered together because the technologists wanted to learn what it would be like to think from a humanities perspective . |
他们聚集起来 因为技术人员想了解 从人文主义者的角度想是怎么样的 |
perspective:n.观点;远景;透视图;adj.透视的;
|
You have someone from Google talking to someone who does comparative literature . |
有从谷歌来的人 和研究比较文学的人谈 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; comparative:adj.比较的;相当的;n.比较级;对手; literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
|
You're thinking about the relevance of 17th century French theater -- how does that bear upon venture capital ? |
你在想十七世纪的法国戏剧的影响—— 是怎么在风险投资下存活的? |
relevance:n.关联;适当;中肯; venture capital:风险投资;
|
Well that's interesting. That's a different way of thinking. |
这很有趣,是另一个角度看问题。 |
And when you think in that way, you become more sensitive to the human considerations , which are crucial to making ethical decisions. |
我们在这样想的时候 就开始对人类的考量更敏感 这对于做出道德的决定是很重要的 |
sensitive:adj.敏感的;感觉的;易受影响的;n.敏感的人;有灵异能力的人; considerations:n.考虑;注意事项(consideration的复数形式);体贴; crucial:adj.重要的;决定性的;定局的;决断的; ethical:adj.伦理的;道德的;凭处方出售的;n.处方药;
|
So imagine that right now you went and you found your musician friend. |
想像现在 你去找个音乐家的朋友 |
And you're telling him what we're talking about, about our whole data revolution and all this -- maybe even hum a few bars of our theme music . |
和他说我们现在的话题 这些信息革命等等—— 甚至哼哼我们的一些电影主题音乐。 |
revolution:n.革命;旋转;运行;循环; theme music:n.(电影、电视节目的)主题音乐;
|
? Dum ta da da dum dum ta da da dum ? |
? Dum ta da da dum dum ta da da dum ? |
Well, your musician friend will stop you and say, "You know, the theme music for your data revolution, that's an opera, that's Wagner. |
你的音乐家朋友会打断你说: “你知道,你技术革命的 主题音乐 是个戏剧,是瓦格纳的作品。 |
It's based on Norse legend . |
关于一个北欧传说 |
Norse:adj.挪威的;挪威人的;斯堪的纳维亚语的;n.挪威人;挪威语; legend:n.传奇;说明;图例;刻印文字;
|
It's Gods and mythical creatures fighting over magical jewelry." |
是关于上帝和神话人物 为了魔术珍宝而争斗。” |
mythical:adj.神话的;虚构的; creatures:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人(creature的复数)
|
That's interesting. |
这很有趣 |
Now it's also a beautiful opera, and we're moved by that opera. |
现在这也是个动人的戏剧 我们都被感动了 |
We're moved because it's about the battle between good and evil, about right and wrong. |
因为这是关于一场战争 善与恶之间的 对与错之间的 |
And we care about right and wrong. |
我们关心对和错 |
We care what happens in that opera. |
我们关心在戏剧里发生了什么 |
We care what happens in "Apocalypse Now." |
我们关心在“现代启示录”里发生了什么 |
And we certainly care what happens with our technologies . |
我们也关心 用我们的技术会发生什么 |
technologies:n.技术;科技(technology的复数);
|
We have so much power today, it is up to us to figure out what to do, and that's the good news. |
当下我们有这么多的能力 这是我们的责任来搞清楚该怎么做。 这是好消息 |
We're the ones writing this opera. |
我们是写剧本的人 |
This is our movie. |
这就是我们的电影 |
We figure out what will happen with this technology. |
我们清楚这个技术将会带给我们什么。 |
We determine how this will all end. |
我们认为事情会这样结束 |
Thank you. |
谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |