|
|
DamonDavis_2017U-_在弗得森抗议中我所看到的_
|
So, I'm afraid. |
没错,我很害怕。 |
Right now, on this stage, |
现在, 在舞台上。 |
I feel fear. |
我感到恐惧, |
In my life, I ain't met many people that will readily admit when they are afraid. |
生活中,其实我并没有遇到过很多 敢于真正表达自己的恐惧的人。 |
readily:adv.容易地;乐意地;无困难地;
|
And I think that's because deep down, they know how easy it spreads. |
大概是因为 他们很明白恐惧可以传染。 |
See, fear is like a disease . |
看到了吧,恐惧就像疾病。 |
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病;
|
When it moves, it moves like wildfire . |
它可以像烈火一样侵蚀移动。 |
wildfire:n.火灾;磷火,鬼火;散布极快的事物;
|
But what happens when, even in the face of that fear, you do what you've got to do? |
但是在这种情况下, 即使面临着恐惧, 你会做你该做的事情吗? |
in the face of:面对;
|
That's called courage. |
这就是勇气了。 |
And just like fear, courage is contagious . |
也像恐惧一样, 勇气也可以传染。 |
contagious:adj.感染性的;会蔓延的;
|
See, I'm from East St. Louis, Illinois . |
我来自伊利诺斯州的东圣路易斯。 |
Illinois:n.伊利诺斯州(美国州名);
|
That's a small city across the Mississippi River from St. Louis, Missouri . |
是个小地方, 在密苏里州圣路易斯的密西西比河对岸。 |
Missouri:n.密苏里(美国州名);
|
I have lived in and around St. Louis my entire life. |
我一生都住在圣路易斯及其附近。 |
When Michael Brown, Jr., an ordinary teenager, was gunned down by police in 2014 in Ferguson, Missouri -- another suburb , but north of St. Louis -- |
当这个普通的少年, Michael Brown, Jr, 2014年在密苏里的弗得森被警察枪杀—— 弗得森是圣路易斯的北边的另一个市郊—— |
suburb:n.郊区;城外;
|
I remember thinking, he ain't the first, and he won't be the last young kid to lose his life to law enforcement . |
我不禁思考, 他并不是第一个, 也不会是最后一个在强制执法 面前失去生命的年轻孩子。 |
enforcement:n.执行,实施;强制;
|
But see, his death was different. |
但是他的死亡很不同。 |
When Mike was killed, |
我记得Mike被杀时, |
I remember the powers that be trying to use fear as a weapon. |
我记得有权力的人想要把恐惧当成武器。 |
The police response to a community in mourning was to use force to impose fear: fear of militarized police, imprisonment , fines. |
警察对这个在哀悼的群体的回答, 就是利用权力施与恐惧: 对警察, 监禁, 惩罚的恐惧。 |
response:n.响应;反应;回答; community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体; mourning:n.伤逝;哀悼;丧服;v.哀悼,忧伤;(mourn的现在分词) impose:v.推行;迫使;强制实行;把…强加于; militarized:adj.军事化的; v.军队化,军国化,鼓吹军国主义(militarize的过去式和过去分词形式); imprisonment:n.监禁,关押;坐牢;下狱;
|
The media even tried to make us afraid of each other by the way they spun the story. |
媒体通过宣传这个故事 想让我们都彼此害怕。 |
media:n.媒体;媒质(medium的复数);血管中层;浊塞音;中脉; by the way:顺便说一下; spun:adj.纺成的;v.纺(spin的过去分词);旋转;
|
And all of these things have worked in the past. |
这些事情都在以前发生过并且很管用。 |
But like I said, this time it was different. |
但就像我说的,时代变了。 |
Michael Brown's death and the subsequent treatment of the community led to a string of protests in and around Ferguson and St. Louis. |
Michael的死亡和之后对待我们群体的态度 是弗得森和圣路易斯抗议的导火索。 |
subsequent:adj.后来的,随后的; treatment:n.治疗;疗法;对待;处理;讨论; string:n.字符串; v.悬挂; adj.由弦乐器组成的; protests:v.抗议;反对(protest的三单形式);n.抗议(protest的复数);
|
When I got out to those protests about the fourth or fifth day, it was not out of courage; it was out of guilt. |
当我第四、五天去参加这些抗议时, 已不再是出于勇气; 而是出于罪恶感。 |
See, I'm black. |
我是黑人。 |
I don't know if y'all noticed that. |
不知道你们注意到了没有。 |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
But I couldn't sit in St. Louis, minutes away from Ferguson, and not go see. |
但我不能安静的呆在距弗得森 只有几分钟车程的圣路易斯, 而不动身前往。 |
So I got off my ass to go check it out. |
所以我起身前往。 |
When I got out there, |
我到达的时候, |
I found something surprising. |
我看到一些让我吃惊的东西。 |
I found anger; there was a lot of that. |
我看到了愤怒,很多愤怒。 |
But what I found more of was love. |
但是更多的我发现了爱。 |
People with love for themselves. |
人们对自己的爱。 |
Love for their community. |
对群体的爱。 |
And it was beautiful -- until the police showed up. |
很感人—— 直到警察出现。 |
Then a new emotion was interjected into the conversation: fear. |
然后新的情绪被注入对话中: 那就是恐惧。 |
emotion:n.强烈的感情;激情;情感; interjected:vt.突然插入;插嘴;
|
Now, I'm not going to lie; when I saw those armored vehicles , and all that gear and all those guns and all those police |
我不撒谎的说; 当我看到那些装甲的车子, 那些装备, 手枪, 包括警察, |
armored:adj.装甲的; vehicles:n.车辆;飞行器;运行工具;(vehicles是vehicle的复数) gear:n.齿轮; v.适合;
|
I was terrified -- personally . |
就我个人而言—— 我很害怕。 |
personally:adv.个人;亲自;本人;就本人而言;
|
And when I looked around that crowd, |
而我看看周围的人群, |
I saw a lot of people that had the same thing going on. |
我发现他们和我一样。 |
But I also saw people with something else inside of them. |
但是我也看到了另一些人。 |
That was courage. |
他们有勇气。 |
See, those people yelled, and they screamed, and they were not about to back down from the police. |
他们呼喊着, 大叫着, 他们没有因为警察而退缩。 |
They were past that point. |
他们已经经历过这个点。 |
And then I could feel something in me changing, so I yelled and I screamed, and I noticed that everybody around me was doing the same thing. |
我感受到了我内心的变化, 于是我也开始呼喊, 我注意到我周围的人也在呼喊着。 |
And there was nothing like that feeling. |
从没有过那样的感觉。 |
So I decided I wanted to do something more. |
我决定我要做更多的事。 |
I went home, I thought: I'm an artist. I make shit. |
回到家我想,我是个作家,我写文章。 |
So I started making things specific to the protest, things that would be weapons in a spiritual war, things that would give people voice and things that would fortify them for the road ahead. |
所以我便开始写关于抗议的很具体的事, 不仅在精神战斗中可以作为武器, 也可以让人们发声, 还可以帮助人们构筑前方的路。 |
specific:adj.特殊的,特定的;明确的;详细的;[药]具有特效的;n.特性;细节;特效药; spiritual:n.圣歌(尤指美国南部黑人的);adj.精神的,心灵的; fortify:vt.加强;增强;(酒)的酒精含量;设防于;vi.筑防御工事;
|
I did a project where I took pictures of the hands of protesters and put them up and down the boarded-up buildings and community shops. |
我拍了一张抗议者们的手的照片, 张贴到用木板封住的建筑和 社区的商店上。 |
protesters:n.(公开)抗议者,反对者;(protester的复数)
|
My goal was to raise awareness and to raise the morale . |
我的目标就是宣扬这种意识和士气。 |
awareness:n.意识,认识;明白,知道; morale:n.士气,斗志;
|
And I think, for a minute at least, it did just that. |
我认为至少有一分钟, 我做到了。 |
for a minute:一会儿;
|
Then I thought, I want to uplift the stories of these people |
然后我想宣扬那些当时我觉得勇敢的人, |
uplift:vt.提高;抬起;vi.提高;上升;升起;n.举起,抬起;道德的向上;精神的高涨;
|
I was watching being courageous in the moment. |
他们的故事。 |
courageous:adj.有胆量的,勇敢的;
|
And myself and my friend, and filmmaker and partner Sabaah Folayan did just that with our documentary, "Whose Streets?" |
于是我和我朋友, 电影制片人和伙伴Sabaah Folayan, 利用纪录片‘’谁的街道?‘’, 完成了它。 |
filmmaker:n.电影制作人;电影摄制者;
|
I kind of became a conduit for all of this courage that was given to me. |
我感觉对于给我的所有勇气, 我完成了传递。 |
conduit:n.[电]导管;沟渠;导水管;
|
And I think that's part of our job as artists. |
我认为这也是我们艺术家工作的一部分。 |
I think we should be conveyors of courage in the work that we do. |
在工作中我们都要成为勇气的传播者。 |
conveyors:n.输送带(conveyor的复数);
|
And I think that we are the wall between the normal folks and the people that use their power to spread fear and hate, especially in times like these. |
我们是在普通人和 利用权力传播恐惧和 憎恨的人之间的一堵墙, 尤其是这种时刻。 |
especially:adv.尤其;特别;格外;十分;
|
So I'm going to ask you. |
所以我要问大家。 |
Y'all the movers and the shakers , you know, the thought leaders: |
所有的行动者和动摇者, 思想的领导者: |
movers:n.搬家公司;搬运工人;提出动议者(mover复数); shakers:n.震教徒(贵格会在美国的分支,Shaker的复数);
|
What are you gonna do with the gifts that you've been given to break us from the fear the binds us every day? |
拥有着可以使我们不再恐惧的 天赋的你们, 打算怎么做? |
binds:v.约束;捆绑;系;装订;n.窘境;(binds是bind的第三人称单数)
|
Because, see, I'm afraid every day. |
因为看到了吧,我每天都很害怕。 |
I can't remember a time when I wasn't. |
我完全想不到哪个时候我不害怕。 |
But once I figured out that fear was not put in me to cripple me, it was there to protect me, and once I figured out how to use that fear, |
但是想到恐惧并不是来打倒我的, 而是保护我, 当我明白了怎么利用恐惧, |
cripple:vt.削弱;使跛;使残废;n.跛子;残废;adj.跛的;残废的;
|
I found my power. |
我就找到了我的力量。 |
Thank you. |
谢谢。 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |