|
|
DIYNSleepMemory_2018V-_声音如何在睡觉时侵入你的记忆_
|
Greg Gage : Who wouldn't love acing a geography exam, remembering all the locations of the countries on a map or avoiding embarrassing situations of suddenly forgetting the person's name standing right in front of you. |
格雷格 · 盖奇(Greg Gage): 谁不会想要在地理考试的时候 准确记下地图上所有国家的位置, 或是避免忽然忘记眼前人名字 所引起的尴尬场面。 |
Gage:vt.以…为担保;以…为赌注;n.计量器;挑战;抵押品; acing:n.间距;间隔;v.发球直接得分(ace的ing形式); locations:n.地方;地点;位置;定位(location的复数) embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词)
|
It turns out that memory, like other muscles in the body, can be strengthened and enhanced . |
事实表明,原来我们的记忆 就像身体其他肌肉, 可以被加强和提升。 |
muscles:n.肌肉(muscle的复数); enhanced:adj.加强的;增大的;v.提高;加强(enhance的过去分词);
|
But instead of practicing with flash cards, there may be an interesting way that we can hack our memory while we sleep. |
但除了用记忆闪卡练习之外, 可能还有一个有趣的方法, 可以让我们在睡觉时, 破解我们的记忆。 |
flash:n.闪光; v.闪光; adj.庞大的; hack:n.砍; v.砍; adj.出租的;
|
(Music) |
|
Why do we sleep? |
我们为什么要睡觉? |
This has been a question asked since the early days of civilization . |
这是一个自文明初期以来 一直被提出的问题。 |
early days:初期;为时尚早;前期; civilization:n.文明;文明社会;文明世界;(特定时期和地区的)社会文明;
|
And while we may not know the exact answer, there are a number of really good theories about why we need it. |
虽然我们可能 并不知道其确切的答案, 但却有一大堆关于为何 我们需要睡眠的极佳理论。 |
Sleep is when the brain transfers short-term memories experienced throughout the day into long-term memories. |
睡眠是大脑把一天里经历的短时记忆 变成长期记忆储存的时间。 这过程称为记忆巩固, |
transfers:n.[电子][计]传输(tansfer的复数); v.[计]转移; short-term:adj.短期的; throughout:adv.自始至终,到处;全部;prep.贯穿,遍及; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
|
This process is called memory consolidation , and it's the memory consolidation theory that has scientists wondering if we can enhance certain memories over others. |
这过程称为记忆巩固, 基于此记忆巩固理论, 很多科学家都很好奇, 我们是否能选择性地提升某些记忆。 |
process:v.处理;加工;列队行进;n.过程,进行;方法,adj.经过特殊加工(或处理)的; consolidation:n.巩固;合并;团结;
|
There was a paper recently in the journal "Science" |
最近在《科学》杂志上有一篇 由肯 · 帕勒(Ken Paller) |
recently:adv.最近;新近; journal:n.杂志;日记;日志;(用于报纸名)…报;
|
by Ken Paller and his colleagues at Northwestern that seemed to show that this may be true, and that piqued our curiosity . |
和他在西北大学的 同事们一起研究发表的文章, 文章似乎表明这可能是真的, 于是这激起了我们的好奇心。 |
Ken:n.视野范围,见地,知识范围; colleagues:n.同事;同行(colleague的复数); Northwestern:adj.来自西北的;西北方的;在西北部的; piqued:adj.赌气的; v.伤害…自尊心; n.愤怒; curiosity:n.好奇,好奇心;珍品,古董,古玩;
|
Joud has been working on a DIY version of this task to see if we can improve memories through the use of sound in sleep. |
乔德(Joud)一直专研着 该研究话题的 DIY 版本 来调查我们是否能在睡觉时 利用声音的帮助来提升记忆。 |
improve:v.改进;改善;
|
So Joud, how do you test if we can improve our memories with sleep? |
所以,乔德,您怎样测试我们 是否能通过睡眠来提升记忆呢? |
Joud Mar’i: We need a human subject. |
乔德 · 马里(Joud Mar’i): 我们需要一个人作为实验对象。 |
[Step 1: Play a game] |
【步骤 1:玩游戏】 |
We have a memory game that we have on an iPad, and then we make our subject play this game and remember the images and where they appear on the screen. |
我们在 iPad 上,有一个记忆游戏, 然后我们让测试对象玩这个游戏, 要他们记下图片 以及图片在屏幕上显示的位置。 |
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
|
GG: So this is like a memory game you used to play as a child, which picture was where. |
GG:所以这像是 你小时候玩的记忆游戏, 哪张图片在哪里。 |
And we tie each picture with a sound that represents it. |
我们把每张图片都配上 一个具有代表性的声音。 |
represents:v.代表;维护…的利益;相当于;(represent的第三人称单数)
|
JM: So, if you can see a picture of a car, for example, and you would hear the car engine. |
JM:所以, 如果你看见一辆车子的图片, 您就会听到车子引擎的声音。 |
(Car engine starting) |
(汽车引擎发动声) |
GG: Just before you go to sleep we're going to test you. |
GG:就在你睡觉前, 我们将测试你。 |
We're going to see how well you remember where the pictures are. |
我们要看看 你把图片的位子记得多好。 |
Every time you see the picture, you're going to hear the sound. |
每一次你看见图片, 就会听到其对应的声音。 |
And now comes the experiment. |
现在我们开始进行实验。 |
You're going to go take a nap . |
你马上要小睡一会儿。 |
nap:n.打盹;短绒毛;赛马情报;v.打盹;(naps是nap的复数)
|
[Step 2: Take a nap] |
【步骤 2:小睡】 |
And while you're sleeping, we're going to be recording your EEG. |
当你在睡觉时, 我们将会记录你的脑电图(EEG)。 |
JM: And then we wait for them to go into what's called the slow-wave sleep, which is the deepest phase of your sleep where it's really hard for you to wake up. |
JM:然后我们等待它们 进入所谓的慢波睡眠, 这是你睡眠最深的阶段, 此时你真的很难醒来。 |
phase:n.阶段;时期;月相;(月亮的)盈亏;v.分阶段进行;逐步做;
|
GG: OK, pause. |
GG:好,暂停。 |
So, here's some information on sleep. |
所以,这是在你睡觉时 所收集的一些信息。 |
There are four stages: we have lighter stages of sleep and REM , but what we're interested in is called slow-wave sleep. |
有四个阶段: 我们有较浅的睡眠和快速眼动阶段, 但是,我们感兴趣的 是所谓的慢波睡眠阶段。 |
REM:n.[物]雷姆;
|
And it gets its name from the electrical signals called Delta waves that we record from the brain. |
它得名于我们从大脑记录下来的 称之三角洲波的浪电信号。 |
electrical:adj.有关电的;电气科学的; Delta:n.(河流的)三角洲;德耳塔(希腊字母的第四个字);
|
This is the part of sleep where scientists believe that memory consolidation can happen. |
这是科学家们相信 记忆巩固能发生的睡眠阶段。 |
In this deep period of sleep, we're going to do something that you don't know we're going to do. |
在此深度睡眠阶段, 我们将做些你不知道的事情。 |
JM: Here's where the tricky part comes, and we start playing our cues . |
JM:这就是棘手的地方, 然后我们开始播放提示。 |
tricky:adj.难办的;难对付的;狡猾的;诡计多端的; cues:n.开端,线索;提示,关键;球杆;诱因(cue的复数形式);
|
(Car engine starting) |
(汽车引擎发动声) |
GG: Do you play all the cues? |
GG:你会播放所有的提示音吗? |
JM: No. We only want to play half of them to see if there's a difference. |
JM:不会。我们只是想要 播放其中的一半来看看是否有差别。 |
GG: So your hypothesis is the one that they were listening to while they're sleeping they're going to do better at. |
GG:所以你的假设是 他们睡觉的时候也在听这些声音, 他们游戏结果因此也会更好。 |
hypothesis:n.假设;
|
JM: Yes, exactly. |
JM:是的,正是如此。 |
GG: When you wake back up and play the game again, do you do better or worse than before a nap? |
GG:当你醒过来再玩那个游戏, 结果比小睡前更好还是更差? |
play the game:玩游戏;行动光明正大;遵守比赛规则;
|
What we found is that if we played you a cue during your sleep, for example, a car -- |
我们发现如果我们 在你睡觉时播放提示音, 比如,一辆车子—— |
You would remember the position of that car when you woke back up again. |
当你醒来再次玩游戏的时候, 你会记得那辆车的位子。 |
But if we didn't play you the cue during the sleep, for example, a guitar, you'd be less likely to remember that guitar when you woke up. |
但是如果在你睡觉时 我们没有播放提示音, 比如,一把吉他—— 当你醒来时, 还记得那把吉他的可能性变小。 |
The memories that were cued they remembered better than the ones they weren't, even though they don't remember hearing those sounds? |
相较于那些没有被提示的, 那些被提示的能更好地被记住, 即使他们不记得听过那些声音? |
cued:n.提示,暗示;线索;vt.给…暗示;
|
JM: Yes, we ask them. |
JM:是的,我们问过他们。 |
GG: We know they're sleeping, they can't hear it, they wake up, they do better on those than the ones you didn't play. |
GG:我们知道他们在睡觉, 他们听不见提示,他们醒来, 他们配对到的 比那些你没播放的来得好。 |
GG: That's amazing. JM: It's like magic. |
GG:太惊人了。 JM:就像变魔术。 |
GG: Joud ran this experiment on 12 people and the results were significant . |
GG:乔德在 12 个人身上重复实验, 实验结果非常显着。 |
significant:adj.重大的;有效的;有意义的;值得注意的;意味深长的;n.象征;有意义的事物;
|
It's not that you remember things better; it's that you forget them less. |
这不是因为你能记得更好, 而是因为你忘得更少。 |
I was a huge skeptic when I first heard that you could do better at a memory test just by playing sounds during sleep. |
当我第一次听到:在睡觉时播声音 可以让人获得更好的记忆测试结果, 我对此是挺质疑的。 |
skeptic:n.怀疑论者;怀疑者;无神论者;sceptic(英);
|
But we replicated these experiments. |
但是,我们复制了这些实验。 |
replicated:重复的;
|
The facts and memories we collect throughout the day are very fragile , and they are easily lost and forgotten. |
我们一天下来,大脑中所收集的 事实和记忆是很脆弱的, 它们容易消失、被忘记。 |
fragile:adj.脆的;易碎的;
|
But by reactivating them during sleep, even without us being aware, it seems like we could make them more stable and less prone to forgetting. |
但通过在睡觉时重新激活它们, 甚至在我们不知道的情况下, 我们似乎可以让那些记忆 变得更稳定、更不容易忘记。 |
reactivating:adj.复活的; v.恢复活动; stable:n.马厩;牛棚;adj.稳定的;牢固的;坚定的;vi.被关在马厩;赶入马房; prone:adj.俯卧的;有…倾向的,易于…的;
|
That's pretty incredible . |
这挺不可思议的。 |
incredible:adj.难以置信的,惊人的;
|
Our brains are still active even when we're not. |
我们不活跃时, 我们的大脑依旧是活跃的。 |
So if you're like me and a bit forgetful, perhaps a solution is a pair of headphones and a soft couch . |
所以,如果你和我一样有点健忘, 也许解决方案就是 一对耳机和一个柔软的沙发。 |
solution:n.解决方案;溶液;溶解;解答; headphones:n.[电讯]耳机;听筒;[电子]头戴式受话器;(headphone的复数) couch:n.睡椅,长沙发;床;卧榻;v.蹲伏,埋伏;躺着;
|