返回首页

CurtisWallStreetCarroll_2016X-_我如何在监狱中学会阅读,以及交易股票_

I was 14 years old inside of a bowling alley , burglarizing an arcade game, and upon exiting the building a security guard grabbed my arm, so I ran. 当我 14 岁时, 有一次我在保龄球馆, 偷了大型电玩机台里的钱。 当我要离开球馆时, 一名警卫抓住了我的手臂,于是我逃跑了。
bowling alley:保龄球馆;球戏场;滚球槽; burglarizing:v.闯入…行窃;(burglarize的现在分词) arcade:n.拱廊;游乐场;有拱廊的街道;v.使有拱廊; security guard:保安人员; grabbed:v.抓住;攫取;抓住,夺得;(grab的过去分词和过去式)
I ran down the street,and I jumped on top of a fence. 我跑到大街上,跳上了栏杆。
And when I got to the top, the weight of 3,000 quarters in my book bag pulled me back down to the ground. 当我跳到栏杆上时, 背包里三千个两角五分硬币的重量, 将我拉倒在地。
So when I came to, the security guard was standing on top of me, and he said, "Next time you little punks steal something you can carry." 当我恢复意识时,警卫低头看着我, 他说:「臭小子,下一次记得 偷你自己搬得动的东西。」
punks:n.庞克族(punk的复数);
(Laughter) (笑)
I was taken to juvenile hall and when I was released into the custody of my mother, the first words my uncle said was, "How'd you get caught?" 我被带到少年队, 随后交由母亲带回时, 我叔叔问我的第一句话是: 「你是怎么被抓的?」
juvenile:adj.青少年的;幼稚的;n.青少年;少年读物; released:v.释放;使免除;已发布;(release的过去分词和过去式) custody:n.保管;监护;拘留;抚养权;
I said, "Man, the book bag was too heavy." 我说:「老兄,因为背包实在太重了。」
He said, "Man, you weren't supposed to take all the quarters." 他说:「小子,你不应该 把所有的钱都拿走的。」
supposed:adj.误信的;所谓的;v.认为;假设;设想;(suppose的过去分词和过去式)
I said, "Man, they were small. 我说:「老兄,可是钱币很小啊!
What am I supposed to do?" 那我应该怎么做?」
And 10 minutes later, he took me to burglarize another arcade game. 10 分钟之后, 他带我去偷另一部游戏机台。
burglarize:vi.夜盗;行窃;vt.撬窃;行窃;
We needed gas money to get home. 因为我们需要钱加油,才能回家。
That was my life. 这就是我的人生。
I grew up in Oakland , California, with my mother and members of my immediate family addicted to crack cocaine . 我生长在加州奥克兰, 和我的母亲以及沉迷于古柯碱的亲戚 住在一起。
Oakland:n.奥克兰(美国加州西部城市); addicted:adj.上瘾的;上瘾;成瘾;有瘾;入迷; crack:v.使破裂;打开;变声;n.裂缝;声变;噼啪声;adj.最好的;高明的; cocaine:n.[药]可卡因;
My environment consisted of living with family, friends,and homeless shelters. 我就在家人、朋友 和游民收留所间游荡着。
consisted:vi.组成;在于;符合;
Oftentimes , dinner was served in breadlines and soup kitchens. 通常我们的晚餐,都得去排队 领取救济品和免费餐点。
Oftentimes:adv.时常地; breadlines:n.等待分配救济食物的队伍;
The big homey told me this: money rules the world and everything in it. 这个大家庭教导我的是: 金钱统治着这个世界, 以及当中的所有事物。
homey:adj.舒适的;家庭似的;自在的;
And in these streets, money is king. 而在这几条街上,金钱才是王道。
And if you follow the money, it'll lead you to the bad guy or the good guy. 如果你追随着金钱, 它会引导你成为坏人或是好人。
Soon after, I committed my first crime, and it was the first time that I was told that I had potential and felt like somebody believed in me. 不久之后我犯下了人生第一个案件, 这是第一次有人告诉我, 我很有潜力, 感觉就像是有人愿意相信我。
committed:adj.坚信的; v.做出错事; (commit的过去分词和过去式) potential:n.潜能;可能性;[电]电势;adj.潜在的;可能的;势的;
Nobody ever told me that I could be a lawyer, doctor or engineer. 因为从来没有人告诉过我, 我可能会成为律师、医生或工程师。
I mean, how was I supposed to do that? 我的意思是,什么是我应该做的?
I couldn't read, write or spell. 我不会阅读、写字甚至是拼字。
I was illiterate . 我是个文盲。
illiterate:adj.文盲的;不识字的;没受教育的;n.文盲;
So I always thought crime was my way to go. 所以我一直认为, 犯罪是我唯一能走的路。
And then one day 后来有一天,
I was talking to somebody and he was telling me about this robbery that we could do. 我在跟某人聊天时, 他告诉我,我们可以去抢劫。
robbery:n.盗窃;抢劫;掠夺;
And we did it. 而我们真的做了。
The reality was that I was growing up in the strongest financial nation in the world, the United States of America , while I watched my mother stand in line at a blood bank to sell her blood for 40 dollars just to try to feed her kids. 现实就是,虽然我生长在 全球最强大的金融国家── 美利坚合众国, 而我却只能眼睁睁看着母亲 排在血庫外的队伍中, 卖出她的血液赚取 40 美元, 只是为了让她的孩子有饭吃。
financial:adj.金融的;财政的,财务的; United States of America:un.美利坚合众国; stand in line:站队; blood bank:n.血库;
She still has the needle marks on her arms to day to show for that. 到今天,她的手臂仍然留着针孔的痕迹, 见证着当时那段日子。
needle:n.针;针头;指针;缝针;v.穿过;刺激;拿针缝;拿针穿;
So I never cared about my community . 所以,我从来不关心我居住的社区。
community:n.社区;[生态]群落;共同体;团体;
They didn't care about my life. 他们也不关心我的人生。
Everybody there was doing what they were doing to take what they wanted, the drug dealers,the robbers , the blood bank. 那里的每个人都在做他们自己的事情, 以换取他们想要的东西。 无论是毒贩、抢匪或是血庫,
robbers:n.强盗;盗贼;抢劫犯;(robber的复数)
Everybody was taking blood money . 每个人都在赚血腥钱。
blood money:n.(付给受雇杀人者的)血腥钱;(付给被杀害者家属的)赎罪金;
So I got mine by any means necessary . 所以,我也用各种必要的手段来赚钱。
by any means necessary:不择手段;以任何必要手段;
I got mine. 我也赚了血腥钱。
Financial literacy really did rule the world, and I was a child slave to it following the bad guy. 财务素养的确主宰着这个世界, 而我只是追随着 这个坏家伙的童工奴隶之一。
literacy:n.读写能力;精通文学;
At 17 years old, I was arrested for robbery and murder and I soon learned that finances in prison rule more than they did on the streets, so I wanted in. 在 17 岁那年, 我因为抢劫杀人被逮捕, 我很快就学到,财务素养在监狱中, 甚至比在街道上更为重要, 所以我想要瞭解它。
One day, I rushed to grab the sports page of the newspaper so my cellie could read it to me, and I accidentally picked up the business section. 有一天,我急着想要 抢到报纸的体育版, 这样才能让狱友读报给我听, 然而我无意之中拿到了商業版。
accidentally:adv.意外地:偶然,偶然地;
And this old man said, "Hey youngster , you pick stocks ?" 我的老狱友说: 「嘿!小伙子,你会挑选股票吗?」
youngster:n.年轻人;少年; stocks:n.[金融]股票; v.采购;
And I said, "What's that?" 我说:「那是什么?」
He said, "That's the place where white folks keep all their money." 他说:「这就是白人 藏着钱的地方。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
And it was the first time that I saw a glimpse of hope, a future. 这是第一次,我看到了希望, 还有未来。
glimpse:v.瞥见;[诗]闪现;n.领悟;概况;见识;一睹;
He gave me this brief description of what stocks were, but it was just a glimpse. 他用简短的描述, 告诉我什么是股票, 但这也只是惊鸿一瞥。
description:n.说明;形容;描写(文字);类型;
I mean, how was I supposed to do it? 我的意思是,我应该怎么做?
I couldn't read, write or spell. 我不会阅读、写字甚至是拼字。
The skills that I had developed to hide my illiteracy no longer worked in this environment. 过去我已经培养出各种技巧, 来隐藏自己是文盲, 但是在这个环境中,这些都不再有用。
illiteracy:n.文盲;无知;
I was trapped in a cage, prey among predators , fighting for freedom I never had. 我彷佛被困在牢笼里, 处在一群掠夺者之中,成为他们的猎物。 为从未获得过的自由而战斗。
trapped:adj.受困的;受限制的;v.使落入险境;使陷入困境;(trap的过去分词和过去式) prey:n.猎物;受害者;受骗者;v.折磨;掠夺;捕食(on,upon);损害(on,upon); predators:n.捕食性动物;实行弱肉强食的人(或机构);掠夺者;(predator的复数)
I was lost, tired,and I was out of options . 我迷失了,觉得累了,但我却束手无策。
options:n.选择; v.得到或获准进行选择; (option的三单形式)
So at 20 years old,I did the hardest thing 所以在 20 岁时,
I'd ever done in my life. 我做了一件我生命中最困难的事情。
I picked up a book, and it was the most agonizing time of my life, trying to learn how to read, the ostracizing from my family,the homeys . 我拿起了一本书,开始阅读。 这是我一生中最痛苦的时光, 我努力学习如何阅读, 然而我却被我的家庭、我的兄弟所排斥。
agonizing:adj.痛苦的;令人焦虑不安的;v.苦苦思索;焦虑不已;(agonize的现在分词) ostracizing:v.(依贝壳流放法)流放; (ostracize的现在分词); homeys:adj.舒适的;家庭似的;自在的;
It was rough, man. 这真的很艰难。
It was a struggle. 这是一场战争。
But little did I know 但当时我还不知道,
I was receiving the greatest gifts I had ever dreamed of: self-worth , knowledge, discipline . 我从中得到梦想中最珍贵的礼物: 自我价值、 知识、纪律。
self-worth:n.自我价值;自尊;自负; discipline:n.纪律;训练;自制力;风纪;v.训练;管教;惩罚;处罚;
I was so excited to be reading that I read everything I could get my hands on: candy wrappers , clothing logos , street signs, everything. 阅读令我感到兴奋, 于是我读了所有能看到的东西: 糖果包装、服饰商标、 道路标志,所有的东西。
wrappers:n.封装器;面皮(wrapper的复数形式); logos:n.理念;
I was just reading stuff ! 我只是拼命地读!
stuff:n.东西:物品:基本特征:v.填满:装满:标本:
(Applause) (鼓掌)
Just reading stuff. 只是拼命地读!
I was so excited to know how to read and know how to spell. 我很兴奋地学习如何阅读和拼字。
The homey came up, said, "Man, what you eating?" 有次一位哥们看到我, 他说:「老兄,你在吃什么?」
I said, "C-A-N-D-Y, candy." 我说:「C-A-N-D-Y,糖果。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
He said, "Let me get some." 他说:「给我一些。」
I said, "N-O. No." 我回答:「N-O,不要。」
(Laughter) (笑声)
It was awesome . 这实在太棒了。
awesome:adj.令人敬畏的;使人畏惧的;可怕的;极好的;
I mean, I can actually now for the first time in my life read. 我的意思是, 在我人生中第一次能够阅读。
The feeling that I got from it was amazing. 我从阅读当中得到的感受 是充满惊奇的。
And then at 22, feeling myself,feeling confident , 到了 22 岁时,我感受到自我,感受到自信。
confident:adj.自信的;确信的;
I remembered what the OG told me. 于是我想起了当年老狱友告诉我的。
So I picked up the business section of the newspaper. 于是我拿起报纸的商業版面,
I wanted to find these rich white folks. 我试着要找到这些有钱的白人。
(Laughter) (笑声)
So I looked for that glimpse. 所以我开始寻找那些蛛丝马迹。
As I furthered my career in teaching others how to financially manage money and invest , 随着我进一步发展事業── 教导别人如何管理金钱和投资,
career:n.职业;事业;生涯;经历; financially:adv.财政上;金融上; invest:v.投资;(把资金)投入;投入(时间、精力等);授予;
I soon learned that I had to take responsibility for my own actions. 我很快就学到, 我必须为自己的行为负责。
True, I grew up in a very complex environment, but I chose to commit crimes, and I had to own up to that. 的确,我在生长在一个非常复杂的环境中, 但我必须坦白地承认, 是我自己选择走上犯罪的道路。
complex:adj.复杂的;合成的;n.复合体;综合设施;
I had to take responsibility for that, and I did. 我必须承担责任,而我做到了。
I was building a curriculum that could teach incarcerated men how to manage money through prison employments . 我正在建立一套课程, 要教导监狱里的犯人 如何藉由监狱的劳动工作进行理财。
curriculum:n.课程;总课程; incarcerated:v.监禁;关押;禁闭;(incarcerate的过去式和过去分词) employments:n.工作; (employment的复数)
Properly managing our lifestyle would provide transferrable tools that we can use to manage money when we reenter society, like the majority of people did who didn't commit crimes. 学会管理好自己的生活方式, 未来也将成为一个有用的工具, 当我们重新回到社会时, 可以用它来管理财务, 就像没有走上犯罪之路的 大多数人所做的理财方式。
transferrable:adj.可转移的;可传递的;可转换的; reenter:v.重返;重新存入;[律]收回(贷出物);再进入; majority:n.大部分:大多数:多数票:成年人:
Then I discovered that according to MarketWatch, over 60 percent of the American population has under 1,000 dollars in savings . 后来我发现, 根据华尔街日报的市场观察站, 60% 以上的美国人 银行里的存款不到 1000 美元。
according to:根据,据说; savings:n.节省物;节省;节约;储蓄金;存款;(saving的复数)
Sports Illustrated said that over 60 percent of NBA players and NFL players go broke. 美国运动画刊报导, 超过 60% 的 NBA 球员 与 NFL 球员面临破产。
Illustrated:v.加插图于;给(书等)做图表;说明,解释;(illustrate的过去分词和过去式)
40 percent of marital problems derive from financial issues . 其中有 40% 的婚姻问题, 都是来自于经济问题。
marital:adj.婚姻的;夫妇间的; derive:vt.源于;得自;vi.起源; issues:n.重要议题;争论的问题;v.宣布;公布;发出;(issue的第三人称单数和复数)
What the hell? 到底在搞什么鬼?
(Laughter) (笑声)
You mean to tell me that people worked their whole lives, buying cars, clothes, homes and material stuff but were living check to check? 你的意思是告诉我, 人们工作了一辈子, 为了购买汽车、衣服、 房子和生活用品, 却每个月都把赚来的钱花光?
How in the world were members of society going to help incarcerated individuals back into society if they couldn't manage they own stuff? 他们身为社会的一份子, 要如何去协助更生人重回社会, 如果不懂得管理好自己的财产?
individuals:n.[经]个人;[生物]个体(individual的复数);
We screwed . 我们搞砸了。
screwed:v.用螺丝固定;旋紧;拧紧;拧上去;(screw的过去分词和过去式)
(Laughter) (笑声)
I needed a better plan. 我需要一个更好的计划。
This is not going to work out too well. 现在的方式看起来并不太顺利。
So ... 所以……
I thought. 我想到,
I now had an obligation to meet those on the path and help, and it was crazy because 我现在有义务让更生人 走上正确的道路, 并且协助他们, 这真是疯狂,
obligation:n.义务;责任;职责;(已承诺的或法律等规定的)义务;
I now cared about my community. 因为我现在居然会关心我的社区。
Wow, imagine that. 哇,想像一下,
I cared about my community. 我居然会关心自己的社区。
Financial illiteracy is a disease that has crippled minorities and the lower class in our society for generations and generations, and we should be furious about that. 财务素养上的文盲, 就像是一种疾病, 会让社会上的弱势族群和底层阶级, 世世代代都陷入困境,我们应该对此感到愤怒。
disease:n.病,[医]疾病;弊病;vt.传染;使…有病; crippled:v.使残废;使跛;使成瘸子;严重毁坏(或损害)(cripple的过去分词和过去式) minorities:n.少数(minority的复数形式);少数民族;少数族裔; furious:adj.激烈的;狂怒的;热烈兴奋的;喧闹的;
Ask yourselves this: 问自己一个问题:
How can 50 percent of the American population be financially illiterate in a nation driven by financial prosperity ? 为何像美国这样经济繁榮的国家, 还会有 50% 以上的民众, 对财务素养一无所知?
prosperity:n.繁荣,成功;
Our access to justice , our social status , living conditions, transportation and food are all dependent on money that most people can't manage. 我们的司法正义、我们的社会地位、 生活条件、交通和食物都需要金钱, 但是大多数人却不懂得管理财务。
justice:n.公平;公正;司法制度;审判; status:n.地位;状态;情形;重要身份; transportation:n.运输;运输系统;运输工具;流放; dependent on:依赖于;依靠;
It's crazy! 这真是疯狂!
It's an epidemic and a bigger danger to public safety than any other issue. 这是一种流行病, 对于公众安全的危害, 甚至比其他议题更大。
epidemic:n.流行病;蔓延;adj.传染病;流行性的;
According to the California Department of Corrections, over 70 percent of those incarcerated have committed or have been charged with money-related crimes: robberies , burglaries , fraud , larceny , extortion — and the list goes on. 根据加州政府矫正部门的统计, 监狱里的犯人有超过 70% 已经犯下或是被起诉的罪名 都与金钱有关: 抢劫、窃盗、诈欺、偷窃、勒索── 还有很多项目。
robberies:n.盗窃;抢劫;掠夺;(robbery的复数) burglaries:n.盗窃,夜盗;盗窃行为;v.入室行窃; fraud:n.欺骗;骗子;诡计; larceny:n.盗窃;盗窃罪; extortion:n.勒索;敲诈;强夺;被勒索的财物;
Check this out: a typical incarcerated person would enter the California prison system with no financial education, earn 30 cents an hour, over 800 dollars a year, with no real expenses and save no money. 试想一下: 一位普通的犯人, 进入加州监狱, 没有接受过任何财务方面的教育, 他每小时赚 30 美分, 每年赚 800 多美元, 没有任何现金花费,也没有储蓄。
typical:adj.典型的;特有的;象征性的; expenses:n.费用;价钱;开销;开支;花费;(expense的复数)
Upon his parole , he will be given 200 dollars gate money and told, "Hey, good luck, stay out of trouble. 在假释期间,他会拿到 200 美元, 然后被告知:「嗨,祝你好运,不要惹麻烦。
parole:n.语言;誓言,诺言;释放宣言;v.有条件释放,假释;使假释出狱; gate money:na.入场费;
Don't come back to prison." 别再回来监狱了!」
With no meaningful preparation or long-term financial plan, what does he do ... ? 缺乏有意义的准备, 或是长期财务规划的情况下, 他能做什么?
meaningful:adj.严肃的;重要的;重大的;意味深长的; long-term:adj.长期的;从长远来看;
At 60? 如果他 60 岁了呢?
Get a good job, or go back to the very criminal behavior that led him to prison in the first place ? 找到一个好工作? 还是回到之前的地方,去从事那些 让他进监狱的犯罪行为?
in the first place:首先;起初;
You taxpayers , you choose. 你们这些纳税人,你会选择哪一种?
taxpayers:n.纳税人(taxpayer的复数);
Well, his education already chose for him, probably. 很好,他受的教育 也许已经决定了他的选择。
So how do we cure this disease? 那么我们如何治疗这种疾病呢?
I cofounded a program that we call Financial Empowerment Emotional Literacy. 我们共同创立了一个 称为「财务赋权情绪素养」的计画。
Empowerment:n.许可,授权; Emotional:adj.情绪的;易激动的;感动人的;
We call it FEEL, and it teaches how do you separate your emotional decisions from your financial decisions, and the four timeless rules to personal finance : the proper way to save, control your cost of living , borrow money effectively and diversify your finances by allowing your money to work for you instead of you working for it. 简称为 FEEL, 它教导你如何将情绪决策 与财务决策分开, 以及四项长期个人理财原则: 一、用适当的方式省钱, 二、控制生活成本, 三、有效率地贷款, 四、多元化财务收入; 让你的钱替你工作, 而不是你为了钱而工作。
timeless:adj.永恒的;不受时间影响的;不合时宜的; personal:adj.个人的;身体的;亲自的;n.人事消息栏;人称代名词; finance:n.财政,财政学;金融;v.负担经费,供给…经费; cost of living:adj.生活费的; diversify:vt.使多样化,使变化;增加产品种类以扩大;
Incarcerated people need these life skills before we reenter society. 囚犯在重新进入社会之前, 需要具备这些生活技能。
You can't have full rehabilitation without these life skills. 如果没有这些生活技能, 你就无法完全改过自新。
rehabilitation:n.康复;恢复;善后;平反;复权;
This idea that only professionals can invest and manage money is absolutely ridiculous , and whoever told you that is lying. 如果你以为只有专業人士 才能进行投资和管理金钱,这个想法是荒谬可笑的, 会这样告诉你的人,就是在说谎。
professionals:n.[管理]专业人员(professional的复数); absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地; ridiculous:adj.可笑的;荒谬的; whoever:任何人:无论是谁:
(Applause) (掌声)
A professional is a person who knows his craft better than most, and nobody knows how much money you need, have or want better than you, which means you are the professional. 专業人士指的是 拥有比大多数人更优秀的能力, 然而没有人知道你需要、 拥有或是想要多少钱, 这意味着你自己就是专業人士。
craft:n.工艺;船;手艺;飞行器;v.(尤指用手工)精心制作;
Financial literacy is not a skill, ladies and gentlemen. 各位女士、先生, 财务素养并不是一种技能,
It's a lifestyle. 而是一种生活方式。
Financial stability is a byproduct of a proper lifestyle. 财务稳定是适当的 生活方式下的副产品。
stability:n.稳定性;坚定,恒心; byproduct:n.副产品;
A financially sound incarcerated person can become a taxpaying citizen, and a financially sound taxpaying citizen can remain one. 一位财务健全的囚犯, 未来将会成为一名纳税人, 而一位财务健全的纳税人, 就会保持纳税人的身分。
taxpaying:n.纳税;adj.纳税的;
This allows us to create a bridge between those people who we influence : family, friends and those young people who still believe that crime and money are related. 这使我们能够建立起一座桥樑, 连结我们所能够影响的人: 那些仍然认为 犯罪和金钱息息相关的 家人、朋友和年轻人。
influence:n.影响;势力;感化;有影响的人或事;v.影响;改变;
So let's lose the fear and anxiety of all the big financial words and all that other nonsense that you've been out there hearing. 所以让我们抛下所有对于 财务术语的恐惧和焦虑, 抛下所有那些 你在其他地方听到的废话。
anxiety:n.焦虑;渴望;挂念;令人焦虑的事; nonsense:n.胡说;废话;adj.荒谬的;int.胡说;
And let's get to the heart of what's been crippling our society from taking care of your responsibility to be better life managers. 我们要直指核心, 找出那些正在削弱社会的原因, 就需要善尽自己的责任, 成为更好的生活管理者。
crippling:adj.残废的; v.使残废; (cripple的现在分词)
And let's provide a simple and easy to use curriculum that gets to the heart, the heart of what financial empowerment and emotional literacy really is. 让我们提供一个简单、易学的课程, 能打动人心的课程, 这才是财务赋权情绪素养的 真正核心价值。
Now, if you're sitting out here in the audience and you said, "Oh yeah, well, that ain't me and I don't buy it," 现在,如果你正坐在观众席,说: 「哦,好吧,那不是我, 我才不买帐。」
then come take my class — 那你应该来上我的课──
(Laughter) (笑声)
so I can show you how much money it costs you every time you get emotional. 我可以让你看到, 你每次激动时,会花费多少钱。
(Applause) (掌声)
Thank you very much. Thank you. 非常感谢大家,谢谢。
(Applause) (掌声)