返回首页

CristinaDomenech_2014X-_释放灵魂的诗_

It's said that to be a poet you have to go to hell and back. 有人说 要成为一个诗人 你必须去过地狱后回来。
The first time I visited the prison, 我第一次去拜访监狱时,
I was not surprised by the noise of the padlocks , or the closing doors, or the cell bars, or by any of the things I had imagined. 关锁,关门, 栅栏,或其他我早已想到的声音, 都没吓到我。
padlocks:n.[五金]挂锁(padlock的复数); v.(用挂锁)锁上;
Maybe because the prison is in a quite open space. 可能是因为监狱是一个相当大的开放空间。
You can see the sky. 你可以看到天空。
Seagulls fly overhead , and you feel like you're next to the sea, that you're really close to the beach. 海鸥从头上飞过,你觉得好像在海边, 非常靠近沙滩。
overhead:n.开销;经常费用;经常开支;adj.头上方的;地面以上的;adv.在头上方;在空中
But in fact, the gulls are looking for food in the dump near the prison. 但实际上,海鸥是在监狱附近的垃圾堆找食物。
gulls:n.[鸟]鸥; v.诈欺,骗(gull的第三人称单数形式); dump:v.倾倒;抛售;抛弃;转存;n.垃圾场;转储;转存;废物堆;
I went farther inside and I suddenly saw inmates moving across the corridors . 我走进去 突然看到囚犯在穿过走廊。
inmates:n.被收容者;居民(inmate的名词复数); corridors:n.廊道,[建]走廊(corridor的复数形式);
Then it was as if I stepped back and thought that I could have very well been one of them. 然后我好像停下来 在想我也有可能 是他们中间的一份子。
If I had another story, another context , different luck. 如果我有另一个人生故事,在另一个时空,不同的运气。
context:n.环境;上下文;来龙去脉;
Because nobody - nobody - can choose where they're born. 因为没有人- 没有人 -可以选择他们的出生地。
In 2009, I was invited to join a project that San Martín National University conducted at the Unit 48 penitentiary , to coordinate a writing workshop . 在2009年,我应邀参与 圣?马丁国立大学在48号感化院所举办的 一个协调写作班的专案。
conducted:v.组织;安排;实施;执行;指挥;带领;引导;(conduct的过去分词和过去式) penitentiary:adj.应处监禁的; n.监狱; coordinate:n.坐标; v.协调; adj.同等的; workshop:n.车间;研讨会;讲习班;工场;v.学习;
The prison service ceded some land at the end of the prison, which is where they constructed the University Center building. 狱方在监牢尽头的一块地上 盖了一个大学中心的建筑物。
ceded:vt.屈服;让与;割让(cede的过去式); constructed:v.修建;建造;组成;编制,绘制;(construct的过去分词和过去式)
The first time I met with the prisoners, 我第一次见与囚犯见面时,
I asked them why they were asking for a writing workshop and they told me they wanted to put on paper all that they couldn't say and do. 我问他们为什么他们要求上写作课 他们告诉我他们要将他们无法说和做的事情 写在纸上。
Right then I decided that I wanted poetry to enter the prison. 那时我就决定我要将诗引进监狱。
poetry:n.诗;诗意,诗情;诗歌艺术;
So I said to them why don't we work with poetry, if they knew what poetry was. 我就告诉他们如果你们知道诗是什么 我们何不写诗。
But nobody had a clue what poetry really was. 但没有人真正知道诗是什么。
clue:n.提示;迹象;(纵横填字谜、游戏或问题的)提示词语;v.提示;为…提供线索;
They also suggested to me that the workshop should be not just for the inmates taking university classes, but for all the inmates. 他们也向我建议 这个班应该不应只是让想要上 大学课程的囚犯参加,所有囚犯应该都可参加。
And so I said that to start this workshop, 我同意后就开始了这个写作课。
I needed to find a tool that we all had in common. 我必须先找一个我们都知道的工具。
That tool was language. 那个工具就是语言。
We had language, we had the workshop. We could have poetry. 我们有语言,我们有这个课。我们就可以有诗。
But what I hadn't considered was that inequality exists in prison, too. 但我没考虑到的是监狱也有不平等。
Many of the prisoners hadn't even completed grammar school . 许多囚犯甚至没有读完小学。
grammar school:n.(尤指旧时英国的)文法学校;
Many couldn't use cursive , could barely print. 许多不会写草书,只会一点正楷。
cursive:n.草书;草书原稿;adj.草书的;草书体的; barely:adv.仅仅,勉强;几乎不;公开地;贫乏地;
They didn't write fluently , either. 他们无法流畅的写。
fluently:adv.流利地;通畅地;
So we started looking for short poems. 所以我们开始找短诗。
Very short, but very powerful. 很短有很有力的短诗。
And we started to read, and we'd read one author, then another author, and by reading such short poems, they all began to realize that what the poetic language did was to break a certain logic , and create another system. 然后我们开始读诗,我们读过一个诗人的诗 在读这些短诗,他们都开始理解 诗的语言可以破坏某些逻辑, 然后创造另一个系统。
poetic:adj.诗的,诗歌的;诗意的;诗人的;n.诗学,诗论; logic:n.逻辑;逻辑学;逻辑性;adj.逻辑的;
Breaking the logic of language also breaks the logic of the system under which they've learned to respond . 破坏语言的逻辑同时也破坏了系统的逻辑 在那系统下他们已习惯去反应。
respond:vi.回答;作出反应;承担责任;n.应答;唱和;
So a new system appeared, new rules that made them understand very quickly, 因此一个新的系统出现了, 让他们很快能了解的新的规则,
very quickly - that with poetic language they would be able to say absolutely whatever they wanted. - 很快的 - 藉新规则和诗的语言 他们可以完全表达他们想要的。
absolutely:adv.绝对地;完全地;
It's said that to be a poet you have to go to hell and back. 有人说要成为诗人你必须去过地狱后再回来。
And they have plenty of hell. Plenty of hell. 他们已历经够多的地狱。够多的地狱。
One of them once said: "In prison you never sleep. 他们中的一个曾说:「在监狱裏你无法睡
You can never sleep in jail . You can never close your eyelids ." 你从来无法在监狱裏睡。你无法阖眼。」
jail:n.监狱;监牢;拘留所;v.监禁;下狱; eyelids:n.[解剖]眼睑;[解剖]眼皮(eyelid的复数);
And so, like I’m doing now, I gave them a moment of silence, then said, “That's what poetry is, you guys. 然后,就像我现在要做的,我请他们静默一下, 然后我说,「大伙们,那就是诗。
It's in this prison universe that you have all around you. 它在这个监狱范围内,在你的四周。
Everything you say about how you never sleep, it exudes fear. 你们所说的你不能睡觉, 它渗出恐惧。
exudes:v.流露,显露;显现;流出,渗出(液体);散发出(气味);(exude的第三人称单数)
All the things that go unwritten -- all of that is poetry." 所有这些你没有写出来的 -所有这些就是诗。」
unwritten:adj.不成文的;口头的;没有记录的;
So we started appropriating that hell; we plunged ourselves, headfirst , into the seventh circle. 我们开始掌握这个地狱; 我们将自己,头向下,投入第七圈地狱。
appropriating:v.盗用;占用;侵吞;拨(专款等)(appropriate的现在分词) plunged:投入;跳进;使陷入;使投入(plunge的过去式和过去分词); headfirst:adv.不顾前后地;头向前地;
And in that seventh circle of hell, our very own, beloved circle, they learned that they could make the walls invisible , that they could make the windows yell, and that we could hide inside the shadows. 在第七圈地狱,我们自己的,最锺爱的一圈, 他们学到他们可以让墙壁消失, 他们可以让窗户咆哮, 我们可以躲在影子下。
beloved:adj.心爱的;挚爱的;n.心爱的人;亲爱的教友; invisible:adj.看不见的;n.看不见的人或物;
When the first year of the workshop had ended, we organized a little closing party, like you do when a job is done with so much love, and you want to celebrate with a party. 当第一年的写作课结束时, 我们筹组了一个结業派对, 就像你们用许多的爱做完一件工作后, 你想要用一个派对来庆祝。
organized:adj.有组织的; v.组织; (organize的过去分词和过去式)
We called family, friends, the university authorities . 我们邀请家人,朋友,大学的长官们。
authorities:n.权力;威权;职权;批准;(authority的复数)
The only thing the inmates had to do was read a poem, and receive their diplomas and applause . 这些囚犯学生唯一要做的就是朗读一首诗, 然后接受他们的文凭和掌声。
diplomas:n.学位证书;毕业文凭;执照(diploma的复数); applause:n.欢呼,喝采;鼓掌欢迎;
That was our simple party. 那就是我们简单的派对。
The only thing I want to leave you with is the moment in which those men, some of them just huge when standing next to me, or the young boys - so young, but with an enormous pride, 我唯一要留下来的 就是这些人的一些瞬间, 他们有些站在我旁边时显得非常巨大, 或着是年轻的男孩 - 非常年轻,但是很有榮誉的,
enormous:adj.庞大的,巨大的;凶暴的,极恶的;
held their papers and trembled like little kids and sweated, and read their poems with their voices completely broken. 拿着纸张,他们像小孩子一样颤抖着,满身大汗, 在朗读他们的诗时,声音断断续续。
trembled:震颤;
That moment made me think a lot that for most of them, it was surely the very first time that someone applauded them for something they had done. 这些瞬间让我想了许多 对他们许多人来说,这是他们的第一次 第一次有人因为他们所做的向他们鼓掌。
applauded:v.鼓掌;称赞;赞许;赞赏(applaud的过去分词和过去式)
In prison there are things that can't be done. 在监狱裏有许多不能做的事。
In prison, you can't dream. In prison, you can't cry. 在监狱,你不能梦想。在监狱,你不能哭。
There are words that are virtually forbidden , like the word "time," 有许多字眼实质上是绝对禁止的,如「时间」,
virtually:adv.事实上,几乎;实质上; forbidden:adj.禁止的; v.禁止; (forbid的过去分词和过去式)
the word "future," the word "wish". 「将来」,「希望」。
But we dared to dream, and to dream a lot. 但是我们敢梦,要做许多梦。
We decided that they were going to write a book. 我们决定我们要写一本书。
Not only did they write a book, but they also bound it themselves. 他们不只写了一本书,他们还自己装订。
bound:n.跳跃:v.跳跃着跑:形成…的边界(或界限)adj.一定会:很可能会:
That was at the end of 2010. 那是2010年底。
Then, we doubled the bet and wrote another book. 然后,我们加码再写了另一本书。
bet:n.打赌;赌注;预计;估计;v.下赌注(于);用…打赌;敢说;八成儿;
And we bound that one, too. 我们也装订了那一本。
That was a short time ago, at the end of last year. 那是不久以前,去年底。
short time:adj.短暂的;快速的(shorttime的变形);
What I see week after week, is how they're turning into different people; how they're being transformed . 我在一周又一周所看到的, 是他们如何转变成不同的人; 他们如何被转化。
transformed:v.使改变形态;使改变外观(或性质);(transform的过去分词和过去式)
How words are empowering them with a dignity they had never known, that they couldn't even imagine. 言语如何使他们得到他们从未有的尊严, 那是他们从来甚至没有想像的。
empowering:v.授权;给(某人)…的权力;增加(某人的)自主权;(empower的现在分词) dignity:n.尊严;高贵;
They had no idea such dignity could come from them. 他们从不知道他们可以有这样的尊严。
At the workshop, in that beloved hell we share, we all give something. 在上课时,在那个大家所爱的地狱裏我们分享,我们给予。
We open our hands and hearts and give what we have, what we can. 我们敞开我们的双手和心扉给予我们有的,能给的。
All of us; all of us equally. 我们所有人,平等地。
And so you feel that at least in a small way you're repairing that huge social fracture which makes it so that for many of them, prison is their only destination. 然后你感觉到至少,少许的 你在修补那个巨大的社会裂痕 那些使的他们多数 只有监狱这条归路。
fracture:n.(指事实)骨折;(指状态)断裂;破裂;v.(使)断裂;破裂;(使)分裂;
I remember a verse by a tremendous poet, a great poet, from our Unit 48 workshop, Nicolás Dorado : "I will need an infinite thread to sew up this huge wound ." 我记得一个诗句一个非常好的,伟大的诗人写的, 来自我们第48号感化院,尼可拉斯?窦拉窦: 「 我会需要一条无限长的线来缝补这个巨大的伤口。」
verse:n.诗,诗篇;韵文;诗节;vi.作诗;vt.使熟练,使精通; tremendous:adj.极大的,巨大的;惊人的;极好的; Dorado:n.剑鱼; infinite:adj.无限的,无穷的; n.无限; thread:n.螺纹;线索;思路;脉络;v.穿过;穿(针);纫(针);(使)穿过; sew:v.缝;缝制;缝补;做针线活; wound:n.创伤,伤口;v.使受伤;受伤,伤害;
Poetry does that; it sews up the wounds of exclusion . 诗可以,它可以缝补「排斥」的伤口。
sews:v.缝合;把…装订成册;缝纫(sew的三单形式); wounds:n.(身体上的)伤,伤口; v.使(身体)受伤; (wound的第三人称单数和复数) exclusion:n.排除;排斥;驱逐;被排除在外的事物;
It opens doors. Poetry works as a mirror. 它开启门。诗可成为一面镜子。
It creates a mirror, which is the poem. 它创造一个镜子,那就是诗。
They recognize themselves, they look at themselves in the poem and write from who they are, and are from what they write. 他们认识他们是谁,他们在诗裏看着自己 从他们是谁写诗,诗裏写的就是他们是谁
recognize:v.认识;认出;辨别出;承认;意识到;
In order to write, they need to appropriate the moment of writing which is a moment of extraordinary freedom. 为了写诗, 他们需要拥有写作的瞬间 那是一个不寻常的自由的瞬间。
appropriate:adj.适当的;恰当的;v.占用,拨出; extraordinary:adj.非凡的;特别的;离奇的;临时的;特派的;
They have to get into their heads, search for that bit of freedom that can never be taken away when they write and that is also useful to realize that freedom is possible even inside a prison, 他们必须在自己的头脑裏,找寻那一点的自由 那个自由在他们写的时候,是无人可以拿走的 了解自由的可能也是很有用的 甚至在监狱裏,
and that the only bars we have in our wonderful space is the word "bars," 我们在这个美好的空间裏唯有的栏杆 就是「栏杆」这个字眼,
and that all of us in our hell burn with happiness when we light the wick of the word. 当我们点着字词的蕊心。 我们全体在我们的地狱裏被快乐所燃烧
wick:n.灯芯,蜡烛心;vt.依靠毛细作用带走;
(Applause) (鼓掌)
I told you a lot about the prison, a lot about what I experience every week, and how I enjoy it and transform myself with the inmates. 我已告诉你们许多我在监狱的经历 每一周,我如何享受这个经历,如何与囚犯一起转化自我。
But you don't know how much I'd like it if you could feel, live, experience, even for a few seconds, what I enjoy every week and what makes me who I am. 但是你们无法知道我喜爱的程度 如果你可以感觉到,如我过着,经验着即使是几秒, 我每周所享受的和什么造就了现在的我。
(Applause) (掌声)
Martín Bustamante: The heart chews tears of time; blinded by that light, it hides the speed of existence where the images go rowing by. 马丁?布斯塔曼特:这个心咀嚼时间的眼泪; 被亮光蒙蔽, 它隐藏存在的速度 那裏影像划着过去。
images:n.印象;声誉;形象;画像;雕像;(image的第三人称单数和复数)
It fights; it hangs on. 它搏斗;它抓着不放。
The heart cracks under sad gazes , rides on storms that spread fire, lifts chests lowered by shame, knows that it's not just reading and going on, it also wishes to see the infinite blue. 心在忧伤的凝视下破碎, 乘坐着散发火焰的风暴。 挺起因羞愧而弯下的胸膛。 知道不只是读着而继续, 它也期望见到无限的蓝。
cracks:n.裂纹; v.破裂; (crack的第三人称单数和复数) gazes:n.嘎斯(俄罗斯汽车品牌名称);
The heart sits down to think about things, fights to avoid being ordinary, tries to love without hurting, breathes the sun, giving courage to itself, surrenders , travels toward reason. 心坐下来想事, 奋斗以避免平凡, 尝试不伤害的去爱, 吸入太阳,给自己勇气, 投降,朝向理性。
surrenders:vt.使投降;放弃;交出;听任;vi.投降;屈服;自首;n.投降;放弃;交出;屈服;
The heart fights among the swamps , skirts the edge of the underworld , falls exhausted , but won't give in to what's easy, while irregular steps of intoxication wake up, wake the stillness . 心在沼泽中奋斗, 位于地狱的边缘, 耗尽而倒,但绝不向容易低头。 从沈醉的不稳的脚步 醒来, 唤醒寂静。
swamps:n.[地理]沼泽; vt.使陷入沼泽; vi.陷入沼泽; underworld:n.黑社会;地狱;下层社会;尘世; exhausted:adj.筋疲力尽的; v.使筋疲力尽; (exhaust的过去分词和过去式) irregular:n.不规则物;不合规格的产品;adj.不规则的;无规律的;非正规的;不合法的; intoxication:n.[内科]中毒;陶醉;喝醉; stillness:n.静止;沉静;
I'm Martín Bustamante, 我是马丁?布斯塔曼特,
I'm a prisoner in Unit 48 of San Martín, today is my day of temporary release . 我是圣?马丁第48号感化院的囚犯, 今天是我暂时释放的日子。
temporary:adj.暂时的,临时的;n.临时工,临时雇员; release:v.释放;发射;让与;允许发表;n.释放;发布;让与;
And for me, poetry and literature have changed my life. 对我而言,诗和文学改变了我的生命。
literature:n.文学;文献;文艺;著作;
Thank you very much! 非常感谢你们!
Cristina Domenech: Thank you! 谢谢
Cristina:n.克里斯蒂娜(电视剧中的人物);
(Applause)