|
|
CornielleEwango_2007G-_刚果森林的英雄_
|
I don't speak English. |
我不会说英文 |
I start speaking English, learning English, about a year ago. |
我刚在一年前开始学说英语,学习英文 |
I speak French and I grew up with French, so my English is Franglais. |
我从小说法语长大,所以我的英语是法式英语 |
I'm born in the Western Congo in an area around here, and then went to university in Kisangani. |
我出生在刚果西部一个离这不远的地方 后来去念了基桑加尼大学 |
And after I finished I went to this area, the Ituri Forest. |
毕业后我就来到了这,伊图里森林 |
But what I've been doing -- when I was about 14, I grew in my uncle's house. |
但是我一直在从事的 - 在我大约14岁的时候,我是在叔叔家长大 |
And my father was a soldier, and my uncle was a fisherman and also a poacher . |
我的父亲是一个士兵 我的叔叔是一个渔夫同时也是一个偷猎者 |
poacher:n.偷猎者;侵入者;炖蛋锅;
|
What I've been doing from 14 to 17 was, |
我在14到17岁间一直做的是 |
I was assisting them collecting ivory tusk , meat and whatever they were killing, poaching , hunting in the forest, bring it in the main city to get access to the market. |
帮他们收集象牙和肉 还有任何他们在森林里所猎杀,偷盗,捕捉的猎物 把这些所得带到大城里的集市上 |
tusk:n.长牙;尖头,尖形物;vt.以牙刺戳;以长牙掘; poaching:v.水煮;炖;去壳水煮蛋;偷猎;(poach的现在分词) in the main:基本上;
|
But finally , I got myself involved . |
但是最后,我自己也参与到了他们的行动中 |
finally:adv.终于;最终;(用于列举)最后;彻底地; involved:adj.有关的; v.涉及; (involve的过去式和过去分词)
|
Around 17 to 20 years I became myself poacher. |
在约17到20岁时,我自己成为了一名偷猎者 |
And I wanted to do it because I believed to continue my studies. |
我从事的原因是我相信我的学业会得到继续 |
I wanted to go to university, but my father was poor, my uncle even ... |
我很想去上大学,但是我父亲很穷,叔叔更不用说了 |
So I did it. |
所以我就那么做了 |
And for three to four years I went to university. |
3到4年的时间里,我去了大学 |
For three times I applied to biomedical science, to be a doctor. |
我申请了生物医学3次,想成为一名医生 |
applied:adj.应用的;实用的;v.应用;使用;申请,请求;(apply的过去分词和过去式) biomedical:adj.生物医学的;
|
I didn't succeed. |
我没有成功 |
I was having my inscriptions , my admission to biology . |
我拿到了录取通知书,生物系收了我 |
inscriptions:n.铭文;碑文;题字(inscription的复数); admission:n.入场费;进入权;招供;门票费; biology:n.(一个地区全部的)生物;生物学;
|
And I said, no way, I'm not doing it. |
而我说,没门儿,我不会学它的 |
My family's poor, my area don't have better health care . |
我的父亲穷,我生活的地方没有好的医疗服务 |
health care:n.卫生保健;
|
I want to be a doctor to serve them. |
我想成为一名医生去给他们服务 |
Three times, that means three years, and I start getting old. |
3次,也就是说3年,我开始慢慢长大了 |
I say, oh, no, I continue. |
我说,噢,不,我要继续下去 |
So I did tropical ecology and plant botany . |
所以我学了热带生态学和栽培植物学 |
tropical:adj.热带的;热情的;酷热的; botany:n.植物学;地区植物总称;
|
When I finished, I went to Ituri Forest for my internship . |
当我毕业的时候,我去了伊图里森林实习 |
internship:n.实习生;(美)实习期;实习医师职位;
|
It's where I really getting passion with what I'm doing right up to now I'm standing in front of you, doing botany and wildlife conservation . |
就是在那我开始对现在所从事的工作充满激情 一直延续到现在出现在你们面前 还在做植物学和野生动物保护工作 |
passion:n.激情;热情;酷爱;盛怒; conservation:n.保存,保持;保护;
|
That time the Ituri Forest was created as a forest reserve with some animals and also plants. |
那时伊图里森林建成了一个森林保护区 有一些动物及植物 |
reserve:n.储备,储存; vt.储备; vi.预订;
|
And the training center there was built around the scientific Congolese staff and some American scientists also. |
还建了一个训练中心 有一些刚果的科研人员 还有一些美国的科研人员 |
scientific:adj.科学的,系统的;
|
So the Okapi Faunal Reserve protects number -- |
所以 Okapi 动物保护区防护数量 - |
I think that is the largest number of elephant we have right now in protected area in Congo. |
我认为那时数量最多的象群 我们现在正在一个刚果受保护的地区 |
It has also chimpanzees . |
这里也有黑猩猩 |
chimpanzees:n.[脊椎]黑猩猩(chimpanzee的复数);
|
And it has been named Okapi Faunal Reserve because of this beautiful creature . |
它被命名为 Okapi 动物保护区 是源于这种美丽的物种 |
creature:n.生物;动物;(具有某种特征的)人;
|
That is a forest giraffe. |
那是一个林地长颈鹿 |
I think you guys know it quite well. |
我想大家对它都很了解 |
Here we have savanna giraffe, but through evolutions we have this forest giraffe that lives only in Congo. |
这是草原长颈鹿 但在进化过程中演变成林地长颈鹿 它们只生活在刚果 |
savanna:n.[生态]热带草原;热带的稀树大草原; evolutions:n.演变;进化论;进展;
|
It has also some beautiful primates . |
里面还有一些灵长类动物 |
primates:n.灵长类;
|
13 species -- highest diversity we can find in one single area in Africa. |
有13种 - 是我们在非洲能找到密度最大的地方 |
species:n.[生物]物种;种类; diversity:n.差异(性):多样性:多样化:
|
And it has the Ituri Forest itself -- about 1,300 species of plants, so far known. |
还有就是伊图里森林本身 据我所知有将近1300种植物 |
I join the Wildlife Conservation Society working there in 1995, but I started working with them as a student in 1991. |
我是在1995年加入野生动物保护协会的 但是在1991年,当我还是学生的时候就开始为他们工作了 |
I was appointed as teaching assistant at my university because I accomplished with honor. |
我那时被任命为我大学的助教 因为我获得了学位 |
appointed:adj.(时间)指定的,约定的; v.任命; (appoint的过去分词和过去式) teaching assistant:n.教学助理; accomplished:adj.完成的;有技巧的;有学问的;v.完成;(accomplish的过去分词和过去式)
|
But I didn't like the way the instruction I got was very poor. |
但是我不喜欢那种低质的教学方式 |
And I wanted to be from to a training center and a research center. |
我想到训练中心和研究中心去 |
With the end of dictatorship regime of Mobutu Sese Seko, that most of you know, life became very, very difficult. |
在Mobutu Sese Seko是独裁统治结束时 大家都知道,生活变得非常非常困难 |
dictatorship:n.专政;独裁权;独裁者职位; regime:n.政权,政体;社会制度;管理体制;
|
And the work we have been doing was completely difficult to do and to achieve it. |
而我们的工作 完全无法完成 |
When Kabila started his movement to liberate Congo, so Mobutu soldiers started moving and retreated , so they started fleeing from the east to the west. |
当 Kabila 开始他的解放刚果运动的时候 Mobutu 的士兵开始转移和撤退 所以他们开始从东往西撤 |
liberate:v.解放;使自由;使摆脱约束(或限制); retreated:v.撤退;隐退(retreat的过去式及过去分词); fleeing:v.迅速离开;逃避,逃跑;(flee的现在分词)
|
And the Okapi Faunal Reserve is there, so there was a road from Goma, somewhere here, and coming like this. |
而 Okapi 动物保护区正好在那 那有一条通往 Goma 的路,在这附近 就是这样过来的 |
So they might go through, pass through Okapi Faunal Reserve. |
所以他们可能会从 Okapi 动物保护区通过 |
pass through:穿过;经历;经验;遭受;
|
Congo has five of world's richest sites of protected area, and Okapi Faunal Reserve is one of them. |
刚果有5个世界上最丰富的保护区 而 Okapi 动物保护区就是其中之一 |
sites:n.网站(site的复数);遗址,举办地点;v.使...位于(site的单三形式);
|
So soldier was fleeing in the Okapi Faunal Reserve. |
那些士兵撤到了 Okapi 动物保护区里 |
On their way they looted everything. |
他们一路上掠劫所有的东西 |
looted:v.(暴乱、火灾等后)打劫,抢劫,劫掠;(loot的过去分词和过去式)
|
Torture , wars -- oh, my God, you can't believe. |
折磨,战争 - 噢,我的上帝,你们不会相信 |
Torture:v.折磨;拷问;歪曲;n.折磨;拷问;歪曲;
|
Every person was looking his way where to go, we don't know. |
每一人都在找寻出路,我们不得而知 |
And it was for us young, the first time really, we hear the language of war, of guns. |
特别是对我们这些第一次经历的年轻人 我们感受到了枪林弹雨的滋味 |
And even people who faced the rebellion of 1963, after our independence , they didn't believe what was happening. |
甚至所有经历1963年那场叛乱的人 在我们独立后,他们都没有办法相信当年所发生的事 |
rebellion:n.谋反;叛乱;反叛;反抗;叛逆; independence:n.独立;独立性;自恃心;独立不羁的精神;
|
They were killing people, they were doing whatever they want because they have power. |
他们屠杀百姓,胡作非为 因为他们手中有权利 |
Who have been doing that? |
是谁做了那些? |
Young children. Child soldiers. |
小孩子们,童子军 |
You can't ask him how old he is because he has guns. |
你不能得知他们的年龄,因为他们手里有枪 |
But I was from the west, working in the east, |
但我是从西部来的,工作在东部 |
I even that time was not speaking Swahili. |
在那时候我甚至不会说斯瓦希里语 |
And when they came they looted everything. |
他们来后掠夺了所有东西 |
You can't speak Lingala because Lingala was from Mobutu, and everyone speaking Lingala is soldier. |
你不能说林格拉语,因为那是 Mobutu 所用的语言 所有说林格拉语的都是士兵 |
Lingala:n.林加拉语(刚果西部使用的一种混合班图语);adj.林格拉语的;
|
And I was from the same area to him. |
而我跟他来自同一个地方 |
All my friends said, we are leaving because we are a target. |
我所有的朋友都说,我们最好还是离开,因为我们已经成为目标 |
But I'm not going to the east because there I don't know Swahili. |
但是我是不会去东部的,因为去了那我不会说斯瓦希里语 |
I stay. If I go I will be killed. |
我要留下。如果我走了会被杀掉 |
I can't go back to my area -- it's more than 1,000 kilometers. |
我不能再回到我的地盘 - 那有1000公里远 |
I stayed after they looted everything. |
我再他们掠夺了所有东西后留下 |
We have been doing research on botany, and we have a small herbarium of 4,500 sheets of plants. |
我们一直在开展植物学方面的研究 我们有一个小干燥标本集,上边有4500种植物 |
herbarium:n.植物标本;腊叶集;干燥标本集; sheets:n.床单;被单;薄片,薄板;(sheet的复数)
|
We cut, we dry and we packed them, we mounted them on a folder . |
我们采摘,干燥,然后把它们包好 我们把它们附在一个夹子上 |
mounted:adj.骑马的; v.准备; (mount的过去分词和过去式) folder:n.文件夹;折叠机;折叠式印刷品;
|
Purpose -- so that we start them for agriculture, for medicine, for whatever -- and for science, for the study of the flora and the change of the forest. |
目的 - 这样我们就能够用它们于农业 于医药,于天气 - 还有于科学 于花卉和森林的变化方面的研究 |
flora:n.植物区系;植物群;
|
That is people moving around, that's even Pygmies . |
那是一些人在周围转悠,那甚至还有皮革米人 |
Pygmies:n.侏儒族(pygmy的复数);
|
And this is a bright guy, hard-working person, and Pygmies. |
这是一个聪明勤劳的人,皮革米 |
I've been working with him about 10 years. |
我跟他一起共事大概有10年了 |
And with soldiers, they went to the forest for poaching elephants. |
跟士兵一起,它们到森林里面从事盗猎大象的活动 |
Because he's Pygmies, he know how to track elephant in the forest. |
因为他是皮革米人,他知道怎样在森林里追踪大象 |
track:n.小道;足迹;车辙;轨道;v.追踪;跟踪;
|
He have been attacked by leopard and they abandon him in the forest. |
他曾被豹袭击,那些人就把他抛弃在森林里 |
leopard:n.豹;美洲豹; abandon:n.狂热;放任;v.遗弃;放弃;
|
They came to told me I have to save him. |
他们来跟我说是我救了他们 |
And what I did, I gave him just antibiotics that we care for that tuberculosis . |
而我所做的就是给他们一些抗生素而已 那时我们用来治疗肺结核的 |
antibiotics:n.抗菌素;抗生素(如青霉素);(antibiotic的复数) tuberculosis:n.肺结核;结核病;
|
And fortunately , I saved his life. |
幸运的是,我救了他的命 |
fortunately:adv.幸运地;
|
And that was the language of the war. |
那就是战争的模样 |
Everywhere there have been constant extraction of mineral , killing animals, the logging timbers and so on. |
所有的人都在不断的采伐资源 捕杀动物,砍伐树木等等 |
extraction:n.取出;抽出;拔出;抽出物;出身; mineral:n.矿物;矿物质;汽水;adj.矿物(性)的;含矿物的;无机的; logging:n.伐木作业;v.把…载入正式记录;记录;采伐;(log的现在分词) timbers:n.[木]木材;[木]木料(timber的复数);v.以林木覆盖(timber的三单形式);
|
And what of important things, |
而重要的是 |
I think all of you here have a cell phone. |
我想再座的每一位都有一个手机 |
That mineral have killed a lot -- five millions of Congolese have gone because of this |
那个玩意已经让很多人丧命 五百万的刚果人因为这个而丧生 |
Colombo-Tantalite, they call it Coltan. |
铜镍合金,他们叫做 Coltan |
That they use it to make cell phone and it have been in that area, all over in Congo, extraction, and good, big business of the war. |
他们就是用这个来制造手机 这那个地区可以找到这种矿,开采,遍布刚果 这是引起战争的一个重要原因 |
big business:n.(统称)大企业;大生意;
|
And what I did for the first war, after we have lost everything, |
在第一次战争过后我们失去了所有东西,我所做的是 |
I have to save something, even myself, my life and life of the staff. |
我挽救了一些东西,包括我自己,我的生命和同事的生命 |
I buried some of our new vehicle engine, I buried it to save it. |
我埋藏了一些我们的新的汽车引擎,以保护它们 |
vehicle:n.[车辆]车辆;工具;交通工具;运载工具;传播媒介;媒介物;
|
And some of equipment went with them on the top of the canopy , to save it. |
一些设备被他们带走 放在在天棚顶上,以保存它 |
canopy:n.天篷;华盖;遮篷;苍穹;vt.用天蓬遮盖;遮盖;
|
He's not collecting plants, he's going to save our equipment on the canopy. |
他不是在采摘植物,而是将要保护我们的设备 在天棚上 |
And with the material that's left -- because they wanted to destroy it, to burn it. |
至于那些剩下的原料 因为他们想销毁它,烧掉它 |
They didn't understand it, they didn't go to school. |
他们不理解它,他们没有上过学 |
I packed it. |
我把它们包起来 |
And that is me, going to, hurrying to Uganda , try to save that 4,000 material, with people carrying them on the bikes, bicycles. |
那是我,将要,赶往乌干达 设法保存那4000个标本 跟人们一起用摩托和单车运 |
Uganda:n.乌干达(非洲国家);
|
And after that we succeeded. |
在我们成功以后 |
I housed that 4,000 material at the herbarium of Makerere University. |
我把那4000个标本存放在 Makerere 大学的标本集里 |
And after the war, I have been able to bring it back home so that we continue our studies. |
在战争过后,我可以将它们带回来 那样我们就能够继续我们的研究 |
The second war came while we didn't expect it. |
而第二次战争在我们没有意识到的情况下爆发 |
With friends we have been sitting and watching match football, and having some good music with Worldspace radio, when it started, I think. |
我们和朋友正坐在一起看足球比赛 在用Worldspace收音机收听一些美妙的音乐 当它爆发的时候,我想 |
So, it was so bad. |
所以,那是很糟糕的 |
We heard that now, from the east again the war started, and it's going fast. |
我们正听到那,在东部战争又爆发了 它来临得很快 |
This time I think Kabila will go in place of , as he did with Mobutu. |
这次我想 Kabila 会去跟 Mobutu 相同的一个地方 |
in place of:代替;
|
And the reserve was target to the rebels . |
储备资源是反叛的目的 |
rebels:n.反叛者(rebel的复数形式);v.谋反(rebel的第三人称单数形式);
|
Three different movements and two militia , acting in the same area and competing for natural resources . |
3个不同的运动和两支民兵队,在同一地区活动 争夺自然资源 |
militia:n.民兵组织;自卫队;义勇军;国民军; competing:adj.相互冲突的;相互矛盾的;v.竞争;对抗;参加比赛;(compete的现在分词) resources:n.[计][环境]资源; v.向…提供资金(resource的第三人称单数);
|
And there was no way to work. |
没有什么办法工作 |
They destroy everything. |
他们破坏了所有东西 |
Poaching -- oh, no way. |
盗猎 - 噢,难以置信 |
And that's the powerful men -- we have to meet and to talk to them. |
那是一些有权力的人,我们必须跟他们会谈 |
What's the regulation of the reserve and what is the regulation of the parks? |
什么是储备规定 什么是公园的规定? |
regulation:n.规则;法规;控制;规章制度;adj.规定的;必须穿戴的;必须使用的;
|
And they can't do what they are doing. |
他们不能这样干下去 |
So we went to meet them. |
所以我去会见他们 |
That is Coltan extraction, gold mining. |
那时铜镍开采,黄金开采 |
So we started talking with them, convincing them that we are in a protected area. |
所以我开始跟他们谈 说服他们我们是在一个受保护的地区 |
convincing:adj.令人信服的; v.使确信; (convince的现在分词)
|
There is regulations that it's prohibited to do logging, mining and poaching, specifically . |
这是规定 砍伐,开采和盗猎都是被特别禁止的 |
regulations:n.章程;规则;法规;管理,控制;(regulation的复数) prohibited:v.禁止(prohibit的过去分词形式);adj.被禁止的; specifically:adv.特别地;明确地;
|
But they said, "You guys, you think that soldier who are dying are not important and your animals you are protecting are most important. |
但是他们说:“你们” 你认为那些士兵的牺牲都不重要吗 而你们所保护的动物是最重要的 |
We don't think so. |
我们不这么认为 |
We have to do it because to let our movement advance. |
我们必须这么做是因为这让我们的运动进步 |
I say, "No way, you are not going to do it here." |
我说:“不行,你们不能在这这么做” |
We started talking with them and I was negotiating . |
我们开始和他们对话,我在谈判 |
negotiating:v.谈判;磋商;协商;商定;达成协议;(negotiate的现在分词)
|
Tried to protect our equipment, tried to protect our staff and the villages of about 1,500 people. |
试着保护我们的设备,试着保护我们的人员 这个村庄大概有1500人 |
And we continued. |
我们在继续 |
But I was doing that, negotiating with them, sometimes we are having meeting and they are talking with Jean-Pierre Bemba, with Mbusa Nyamwisi, with Kabila, and I'm there. |
但我正在做的是,跟他们谈判 有时我们会开会 他们在跟 Jean-Pierre Bemba 对话 和 Mbusa Nyamwisi, 和 Kabila, 那是和我 |
Sometimes they talk to my own language, that is Lingala. |
有时他们说我的语言,林格拉语 |
I hear it and what strategy they are doing, what they are planning. |
我听到他们的策略和他们的计划 |
strategy:n.策略;行动计划;部署;战略;
|
Sometimes they are having helicopter to supply them with ammunition and so on. |
有时他们有直升机 来补给他们的弹药等等 |
ammunition:n.弹药;军火;v.装弹药于;装弹药;
|
They used me to carry that and I was doing counting, what comes from where and where and where. |
他们用我来搬运那些还有我在计算 什么要来,是从哪来等等 |
I had only this equipment -- my satellite phone, my computer and a plastic solar panel that I hide it in the forest. |
这是我唯一的设备 - 我的卫星手机,我的电脑 和一个被我藏在森林里的太阳能板 |
solar panel:n.太阳能电池板;
|
And every time, daily, after we have meeting, what compromise we have, whatever, |
每一次,每天,当我们开会的时候 我们做出的任何妥协 |
compromise:n.妥协;折中;互让;和解;v.妥协;违背(原则);达不到(标准);使陷入危险;
|
I go, I write a short email, send it. |
我去,写一个简短的邮件,发送 |
I don't know how many people I had on my address, |
我不知道我的地址簿上有多少人 |
I sent the message what is going about the progress of the war and what they are planning to do. |
我发送关于战争进展的消息 和那些人将要计划的事 |
They started suspecting that what we do on the morning, and the afternoon it's on the news -- BBC, RFI. |
他们开始怀疑我们在早上做的事 下午就发布在了BBC, RFI的新闻上了 |
suspecting:v.疑有,觉得;不信任;怀疑;(suspect的现在分词)
|
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
Something might be going on. |
一些事可能会继续 |
And one day, we went for a meeting. |
一天,我们去参加一个会议 |
(Applause) |
(欢呼声) |
Sorry. |
对不起 |
One day we went to meet the Chief Commander . |
一天我们去会见总指挥官 |
Commander:n.指挥官;司令官;
|
He had the same iridium cell phone like me. |
他有和我一样的铱制手机 |
iridium:n.[化学]铱(Ir);
|
And he asked me, "Do you know how to use this?" |
他问我:“你知道怎么用这东西吗?” |
I said, "I have never seen it. |
我说:“我从来没有见过” |
(Laughter) |
(笑声) |
I don't know." |
我不知道 |
And I had mine on my pocket. |
而我的手机正在口袋里 |
So it was a chance that they trusted me a lot, they didn't, they was not looking on me. |
所以那是一个他们给我很大信任的机会 他们没有,他们没有看着我 |
So I was scared. |
所以我害怕 |
And when we finished the meeting I went to return it in the forest. |
当我们会议结束的时候,我把它放回到森林里 |
And I was sending news, doing whatever, reporting daily to U.N., to UNESCO, to our institution in New York what have been going. |
我正在发新闻,和做一些其他事 每天跟联合国,跟教科文组织,跟我的纽约机构汇报 这是一直在做的事 |
institution:n.制度;建立;(社会或宗教等)公共机构;习俗;
|
And for that they have been having big pressure to leave, to free the area. |
对于那些人来说离开和释放那个地方是压力巨大的 |
Because there was no way -- whatever they do, it's known the same times. |
因为没有其他办法 任何他们做的事,都会在同一时间被公之于众 |
During the first two rebellions , they killed all animals in the zoo. |
在前两次暴乱中,他们杀害了动物园里所有的动物 |
rebellions:n.谋反;叛乱;反叛;反抗;叛逆;(rebellion的复数)
|
We have a zoo of 14 Okapis, and one of them was pregnant . |
我们有14只霍加狓,其中有一只还怀孕了 |
pregnant:adj.怀孕的;富有意义的;
|
And during the war, after a week of heavy war, fighting in the area, we succeeded -- we had the first Okapi. |
在战争里,持续一个星期的斗争过后,在这个地区的争夺 我们胜利了 - 我们有了第一只霍加狓 |
This is the only trouser and shirt I, remind me of this. |
这是唯一能够唤醒我这些的裤子和衬衫 |
trouser:n.裤子;v.收受;赚得;adj.裤子的; remind:v.提醒;使想起;
|
This is not local population, this is rebels. |
这不是当地居民,而是反叛者 |
They are now happy sending the news that they have protected the Okapi with the war, because we sent the news that they are killing and poaching everywhere. |
他们现在很高兴发布消息 他们在战争中保护了霍加狓 因为我们在战争中发布他们捕杀的消息 和到处偷猎 |
After a week we celebrated the birthday of that Okapi, they killed elephant, just 50 meters to the area where the zoo, where Okapi was born. |
一个星期后我们庆祝那只霍加狓的生日 他们捕杀大象,仅仅在50米之遥 在那个动物园,就是那个霍加狓出生的地方 |
And I was mad. |
我几乎要疯了 |
I oppose it that they are now going to dissect it until I do my report and then I see the Chief Commander. |
我反对他们肢解它 一直到我发布报道和见到总指挥官 |
oppose:v.反对(计划、政策等);抵制;阻挠;(在竞赛中)与…对垒; dissect:vt.切细;仔细分析;vi.进行解剖;进行详细分析;
|
And I succeeded. |
而我成功了 |
The elephant just decayed and they just got the tusks . |
那只大象刚刚腐烂掉而那些人获得了象牙 |
decayed:adj.腐烂的;腐败的;衰退的;v.腐烂;衰退(decay的过去分词); tusks:n.獠牙(tusk的复数);[建]墙面牙石;v.用长牙掘(tusk的第三人称单数);
|
What we are doing after that, that was the situation of the war, we have to rebuild. |
我们在那之后要做的,在那样的战争情况下 我们必须重建 |
I had some money -- I was paid 150 dollars. |
我们有一些资金 - 我被支付了150美元 |
I devoted half of it to rebuild the herbarium, because we didn't have good infrastructure to start plants. |
我贡献出其中的一半来重建植物标本集 因为我们没有良好的基础设施来开展种植 |
devoted:adj.专心致志; v.献身; (devote的过去分词和过去式) infrastructure:n.基础设施;公共建设;下部构造;
|
Wildlife Conservation Society more dealing with plants. |
野生动物保护协会做更多的种植工作 |
I started this with 70 dollars and start fundraising money to where I've been going. |
我以70美元开始工作 开始在我所到的每一处募集资金 |
fundraising:n.筹款;募捐;
|
I had opportunity to go all over where herbarium for my African material is. |
我有机会重新开始 在我的非洲标本收集的地方 |
And they supported me a bit, and I built this. |
他们给我一些支持,我建了这个 |
Now it's doing work to train young Congolese. |
现在它被用来训练年轻的刚果人 |
And also, what one of the speciality we are doing, my design is tracking the global warming effect on biodiversity , and what the impacts of the Ituri Forest is playing to uptake carbon . |
同时,这也是我们所专长的 我的设计是在生物多样化方面跟踪全球温室效应 而伊图里森林所起的影响是吸收二氧化碳 |
speciality:n.专业,专长;特性; tracking:n.追踪,跟踪;v.跟踪;(track的现在分词) global warming:n.全球(气候)变暖;地球大气层变暖; biodiversity:n.生物多样性; impacts:n.影响; v.有影响,有作用; uptake:n.摄取;领会;举起; carbon:n.[化学]碳;碳棒;复写纸;adj.碳的;碳处理的;
|
This is one of the study we are doing on 40 hectares plot , where we have tagged trees and lianas from one centimeters and we are tracking them. |
这是我们40英亩计划的研究之一 这是我们以1厘米的距离标记树木和藤蔓植物 我们会一直跟踪它们 |
hectares:n.公顷(hectare的复数); plot:n.情节;阴谋;布局;小块土地;v.密谋;暗中策划;(在地图上)标出;绘制(图表); tagged:adj.标记的;示踪的;加标记的;v.附以签条(tag的过去分词); lianas:n.[植]藤本植物(liana的复数); centimeters:n.[计量]厘米(centimeter的复数);
|
We have now data of about 15 years, to see how that forest is contributing to the carbon reductions . |
我们现在有了将近15年的数据资料 来见证那片森林是怎样为碳减排做出贡献的 |
contributing:v.捐献,捐赠(尤指款或物);捐助;增加;增进;(contribute的现在分词) reductions:n.减少;缩小;降低;减价;折扣;缩图;(reduction的复数)
|
And that is -- I think it's difficult for me. |
而那时 - 我认为对我来说是困难 |
This is a very embarrassing talk, I know -- |
这是一个很尴尬的演讲,我认为 |
embarrassing:adj.令人尴尬的; v.使尴尬; (embarrass的现在分词)
|
I don't know where to start, where to finish it. |
我不知道从哪开始,从哪结束 |
When I was thinking to come here, what best title I wanted to say to my talk, I didn't find this. |
当我考虑要到这来的时候 对于我要演讲的最佳话题,我没有想到这个 |
But now I think that I would have titled it, "The Language of Guns." |
但是现在我想给它起个名字叫:“针锋相对” |
Where are you people? |
你们在听吗? |
Now we are talking about reconstitution , rebuild Africa. |
现在我们所讲的是关于改造,重建非洲 |
reconstitution:n.重构;补充头寸;
|
But is gun industries a tool to rebuild, or is it a game? |
但是军火行业是一个重建的工具,或是一个游戏? |
I think we see the war like a game -- like soccer, football. |
我认为我们见证了战争的游戏法则 就像足球,橄榄球 |
Everybody is happy, but see what it's doing, see what is going in Darfur . |
所有的人都很高兴,但是不想看到它的本质 看看在达尔富尔发生了什么 |
Darfur:n.达尔富尔(苏丹地名);
|
Now we say, oh, my God. |
现在我们说,噢,我的上帝 |
See what the wars in Rwanda. |
看看在卢旺达的战争 |
That's because of the language of guns. |
那时因为靠武力说话 |
I don't think that someone may blame Google , because it's doing the right things, even if people like Al-Qaeda are using Google to connect between them. |
我不认为有人会责备谷歌 因为它在做正确的事 甚至连像奥凯伊德这样的人也用谷歌 来联系彼此 |
Google:谷歌;谷歌搜索引擎; Al-Qaeda:n.基地组织;
|
But it's serving millions for the best . |
但是它为千千万万人提供最好的服务 |
for the best:出于好意;
|
But what is doing with gun industries? |
但是在军火行业发生了什么呢? |
Thank you. |
谢谢你 |
(Applause) |
(掌声) |
Chris Anderson: Thank you, thank you. |
Chris Anderson 说:谢谢,谢谢 |
Just wait over there. |
就在那边等着 |
It's an amazing story. |
这是一个令人惊异的故事 |
I suspect a lot of people here have the same question I have. |
我怀疑在座很多人都会和我有同样的问题 |
How can we help you? |
我们怎么样才能帮助你呢? |
Corneille Ewango: That's really embarrassing questions. |
Corneille Ewango 说:这是一个很尴尬的问题 |
I think that now I feel nervous. |
现在我感到紧张 |
And I think, helping us, people are acting sometimes by ignorance . |
我认为,帮助我们,人们有时会无知地做出行动。 |
ignorance:n.无知,愚昧;不知,不懂;
|
I did it myself. |
我自己就做过 |
If I know, when I was young, that killing elephant, I'm destroying biodiversity, |
如果我在小时候就知道 我捕杀大象是在破坏生物多样化 |
I would not have done it. |
我是不会那么做的 |
Many, many of you have seen the talents of Africans, but there are few who are going to school. |
在座很多,很多人已经看到了非洲人的智慧 但是那里只有很少的人能上学 |
Many are dying because of all those kind of pandemics , |
很多人死去是因为所有那些流行病 |
pandemics:大流行;流行病;
|
HIV , malaria , poverty , not going to school. |
艾滋病,疟疾,贫困,无法上学 |
HIV:n.艾滋病病毒; malaria:n.[内科]疟疾;瘴气; poverty:n.贫困;困难;缺少;低劣;
|
What you can assist us, it's by building capacities . |
你们所能给我们的支持,就是建立各方面能力 |
capacities:n.能力;容量;性能;生产量(capacity的复数);
|
How many have got opportunity like me to go to U.S,, do a Master's. |
有多少人有像我一样的机会 去到美国,读硕士研究生 |
And go -- now I'm in the Netherlands to do a Ph.D. |
再去到 - 现在我在荷兰念博士 |
But many of them are just here because they don't have money. |
但是现在他们中很多人在这是因为他们没有钱 |
And they can't go even to university. |
他们甚至上不起大学 |
They can't even attend the Bachelor's degree. |
他们甚至念不起本科学位 |
Building capacities for young generation, is going to make better generation and better future tomorrow for Africa. |
为年轻一代建立各方面能力 将会让下一代更强 将会让非洲的明天更美好 |
CA: Thank you, thank you. |
Chris Anderson 讲:谢谢 |
(Applause) |
(欢呼声) |